Bordeaux Airport

"try to avoid this airport"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | The worst experience I ever had during the 44 years I have been traveling by plane. It took me 2 hours to check in and board the plane. Big queues (fast track does not work except Air France passengers), halls with no air conditioning during a very warm day, just a bad feeling all the way. Please try to avoid this airport if it is not absolutely necessary as a destination.

"the queues were long"

Not Verified | Arrival at the airport on Flybe was OK. We used Terminal A which seemed quite small but there were no queues at Passport Control and the baggage came through quickly enough. We had to wait for an hour or so for our hire car, so had a coffee and cake at Chez Jean, which was near the hire car desks and was reasonably priced. Of the five toilet cubicles only one was working but overall the arrival experience was relatively swift and easy. The departure experience was the total opposite. We had trouble finding the hire car return car park as there was virtually no signage. The check in queue snaked all the way from the desk to the rear of the check in area. There is a small Starbucks in this area but again, the queues were long. Once checked in, we went through security which took much longer than it should, given that we didn't really have to queue. The biggest disappointed with Terminal A was the shocking state of the departure lounge. To access it you have to pass through passport control and once there, you simply have to wait for your flight. There were no shops or restaurants, just a couple of vending machines selling water and snacks! There was plenty of seating, however around 20 minutes before boarding everyone was instructed to leave the seating area and line up by the wall, in order that the check-in staff could check everyone back into the same area before being let out onto the apron to walk to the plane! It was a totally bizarre boarding procedure. I wouldn't avoid this airport, but I would certainly be prepared to be treated like cattle!
Date VisitAugust 2019

"a disaster in terms of infrastructure"

Trip Verified | This airport is quite a disaster in terms of infrastructure: There is a WiFi hotspot free for 2 hours but it doesn’t work properly, it keeps kicking you out of the network and make you register all over again. Somehow young people that work at this airport refuse to speak English with their customers. They do understand it and I believe English is taught in schools in France, but they don’t seem to see the reason why should an airport employee speak a language so that the customers can understand them (weird to say the least!) We are talking specifically about the Cafe Barista and the Relay shop. The employee at Starbucks spoke English and another one on the lower floor also.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"This airport is a joke!"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | This airport is a joke! I have never seen anything like this in my whole life! The toilets were in horrible conditions, nothing was working, staff were super rude and didn’t speak english at all (I mean they work at the airport so of course they should speak English!). There was trash everywhere in this airport, I was totally shocked. Hopefully I will never have to come back to this place!
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"Worst airport I’ve ever been to"

Trip Verified | Worst airport I’ve ever been to! No air conditioning, no seating, treated like cattle. Once completed check in, we had to form a separate queue to drop our luggage off as no conveyor belt at check in to take hold bags. We waited and waited only to be told a fault with this baggage system too and we just had to wait it out. No advice given to people needing to get their flights. Eventually it started working only for when it was my turn to place my bag on the belt, the woman controlling it started yelling at me instructions about how to place the bag correctly. I speak French and so was responding but her instructions were very vague and I kept getting it wrong. She glared at me with no apology. I would have reported her there and then but due to the delay we had no choice but to rush through security. When our gate was soon announced we had 10 mins to get to our gate which was through additional passport control before the gate was closed. This took 10 mins so we just made it in time! We were then held in a cattle like pen for 20 mins with no seating and all closely confined until we were finally released and allowed to board. No seats for elderly or kids and no air conditioning. We love France and Bordeaux but would hate to use the Billi terminal again! As for the woman, I hope she serves back office from now on in, she shouldn’t be allowed to be public facing!
Date VisitAugust 2019

"it is best described as a cow shed"

Not Verified | Oh dear, terrible does not begin to describe our experience at this airport, in particular the ‘Billi’ Terminal (once you have found it). As previously by another reviewer, it is best described as a cow shed (tourists treated like cattle too). Toilets truly dreadful with the few ladies loos being cleaned for 20 minutes, cleaner accompanied by airport security to prevent frustrated tourists forcing an entry! Men’s toilets with flooded urinals. It was a hot and horrible experience and a terrible end to our French holiday. Should I return to France I will avoid this airport!
Date VisitAugust 2019

"an absolute disgrace of an airport"

Not Verified | What an absolute disgrace of an airport. I am giving 1 star because I cannot leave a zero star rating. After driving round in circles 4 times to find where to drop off our hire car, we then trecked 2 small children, 4 adults and 8 cases into the Departures building upon which there was no sign of an Easyjet desk, even though the door we walked through was emblazoned with their marketing material! Eventually found someone who knew where the desk was to be told it was actually in the 'Arrivals' building. More trecking downstairs, out of the building and to the other end of the airport to be greeted by a very large crowd trying to get into a very small space. We were eventually met at the door by an airport employee who refused to allow anyone into the building because inside was absolute chaos. Eventually, she told us to stay put and she then started to shout above the noise inside to attempt to get people into some kind of orderly state. We were eventually let in and after queuing for half an hour (with various arguments going on around us because of pushing in due to the lack of organisation) we arrived at the bag drop, our passports were checked and then we were directed to another queue to drop our bag! After an hour we were eventually able to go through security (yet another queue). We were then able to get to the boarding gate with a few minutes left to spare (even though we had arrived at the airport over 2 hours earlier). Thankfully the flight was slightly delayed, phew rather frazzled we boarded and just as the doors closed we were advised that we were unable to take off because a slot was not available and we then had a 2 hour wait on the tarmac. Never ever again will I fly to or from this airport!
Date VisitAugust 2019

"Worst airport I have encountered"

Trip Verified | Not normally driven to writing reviews, but in this case I have to. Poor does not adequately describe this airport- it’s is the size of a provincial airport and unable to cope with the throughput of passengers. Too small - prepare to stand or sit on the floor if you have some time to wait for your flight. Inadequate seating, food outlets can not cope with demand. Walkways are congested and backed up with passengers who have failed to find a seat in the eating area. Ladies toilet is flooded. No airport staff to raise issues with. Appalling that due to lack of seating and quite a few older people travelling, older travellers are left with the only options to either stand or sit on the floor. Worst airport I have encountered. I laugh at the terminal screen with the message “relax and shop”. Walked back to security gate to speak to an employee to try and have a conversation to describe the inadequate facilities, the employee shrugged his shoulders and said “I Know”. Raised a finger to the ceiling to indicate management. Don’t go to Bordeaux Airport if you have a choice.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"hot, chaotic and stressful"

NotVerified | The worst airport experience to date. I have flown all over the world and the Billi Terminal has been the worst experience so far. On arrival you are crammed into what resembles a cow shed with only two toilets available for around 600 people. It’s hot, chaotic and stressful! Departure was horrific. The queues were awful. You queue to check in, you then queue to drop your cases off. The whole time the place is cramped and chaotic. The self service check security check point and there were no staff to assist. The staffs attitude is the absolute worst. They really don’t care and have no interest in helping you. Once in the terminal you have to get straight into another queue to get to your gate. There is a passport check with only two people working. The whole experience was terrible. The airport organisation was the worst I have experienced. We will not be flying into Bordeaux again. Just awful.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"There were queues at every stage"

Trip Verified | The worst flying experience we have ever had in our lives and we have travelled a lot over the last 50 yrs! The Billi terminal, used by Easyjet, was totally inadequate for its purpose. There were queues at every stage of the check in process, but by far the worst, was the bag drop, one person and one conveyer belt dealing with every single passenger. Because of the long snaking queues everywhere, there was no room to move. People were clambering over each other and struggling to move their luggage. It was chaos! Once through security, there was only one small cafe in which we waited for our flight to be called. When the departure gate was announced, we moved straight away to discover a massive queue at Passport control with the real possibility that we would now miss our flight, just two immigration officers to deal with passengers for several flights. Finally, there was hardly any seating at the departure gate. We will never use this airport again!