Alicante Airport

"it wasn't too bad"

Just returned to UK last night May 10. Got to the airport early flight delayed and had a long time hanging around. As far as the usual airport experience (rarely good is it) is concerned it wasn't too bad. However the air con was inadequate and the bathroom shower when we got back home was really needed. I wonder if this would be a major problem during the very busy Summer months. Food a bit pricey but ok. I used off site car hire this time bit tedious but better than some of the big lines waiting at the on site companies.

"signage is adequate"

Easy to use and signage is adequate. The announcements are clear and concise. Plenty of space light and room to breathe. A good choice of shops too; this is an airport not a shopping mall! Even the security staff are human! We use this airport several times a year (property in the area). Just a shame the money situation has gone bad for the country as the old terminal could be redeveloped too.

"public address system is useless"

My family uses Alicante airport about 6 times a year. We cannot see any obvious advantages in the new terminal over the older ones. OK the new terminal was conceived during boom times (and is far too large for current needs) but they obviously decided during construction work to cut the budgets and many of the finishes (loos being the biggest area) are cheaply done and showing wear already. The public address system is useless and they are clearly saving money by not using the air-conditioning as even in October the place was like an oven. The link from the terminal to the car parking/rental cars is a shambles and very poorly sign-posted - every new arrival who doesn't know the route is bewildered and gets lost. We never go during July and August but I shudder to think what it's like then.

"airport itself is functional"

I use this airport about 6 times per year it's a shame that none of the money wasted on it could have been used to extend the tram line from Alicante city directly to the airport this would make a huge difference. The new airport itself is functional but some areas were not thought out well enough. As others have said - you don't have enough seating at the gate areas. All announcements made are pointless as you cannot understand them as the acoustics are useless. Yes the food while diverse is very overpriced but then again isn't it at most airports. On the plus side if you ever have to get wheelchair assistance in Alicante airport then I would say (from experience) that the staff are excellent. They are helpful and considerate. The VIP lounge is spacious and comfortable although when they run out of food you may have to ask for more.

"quite an average airport"

Quite an average airport considering how modern it is. Good check-in times quick queues at security. Not enough seating not enough shops but plenty of places to eat. Shops that were there were quite good pretty overpriced and concentrated in one place. Gate agents below par and air conditioning terrible!

"insufficient seating"

Cavernous airport with insufficient seating in many areas. On the two occasions we have flown from the airport recently the temperature has been absolutely unbearable with air conditioning totally ineffective and passengers stripping off and fanning. Outside the temperature was much lower than in the airport which heated up like a greenhouse. Announcements are incomprehensible perhaps because of the echo in the huge spaces. In the car rental areas the ramps are incredibly narrow causing difficulty in particular to those driving their cars for the first time out of the airport. Have been travelling several times a year to Alicante for 11 years. Our experience in the old airport was always excellent. Only improvement is perhaps the number of toilets but in general our experience of departures from the new airport has not been a pleasant one. We have also experienced the arrivals area - meeting friends and family coming to visit. In such a huge airport this area is minute hard for those waiting and those arriving not to fall over each other and nowhere to sit except 2 small cafes. Can we go back to the old airport which is still sitting next door?

"nice modern terminal"

Nice modern terminal. Only complaint was that the boarding gate information was wrong on the board and the signs at the gate and there was nobody from the airport or the airline to direct passengers. I found out the correct gate number and ended up making an announcement myself.

"corners have been cut"

Whilst the new terminal has the general ambience of better-known international airports corners have been cut in the detailing probably due to the Spanish economic situation. The car rental situation is quite ridiculous. I have been through the new terminal 3 times since it opened and the route from the car rental desks to the car pick-up area is confusing without any adequate signage. There are always groups of bewildered people wandering around lost. You have either to go down by escalator from arrivals cross the road and up in a lift or up in a lift from arrivals to a bridge cross over and then down in a lift (the levels are numbered differently on each side of the bridge). The car rental booths need to be better staffed to alleviate the long queues that build up. Everything is pre-booked so they know what to expect.

"unhelpful check-in staff"

The new airport is a lot larger so be prepared for a route march to get luggage etc on arrival. Going back we had rude and unhelpful check-in staff. Food and drink is astronomical it will cost you about 7 euros for a sandwich and a drink and 2 euros. When we got to the allocated boarding gate there were no seats which meant my daughter sitting on the floor and elderly passengers struggling to stay standing for the 40 minutes we had to wait there!

"treated with great disrespect"

(Spain)

I was treated at the control area with great disrespect. After taking off my footwear as requested I proceeded to walk through. As I entered the boarding side this security woman approached me and snatched my scarf from around my neck without any explanation As I speak Spanish this was completely uncalled for and in my opinion showed a vast amount of ignorance on her part. I appreciate that checks are necessary for the safeguard of passengers but she and maybe all of the staff there need a lesson in customer facing care.