Addis Ababa Airport

"incredibly chaotic experience"

(Somalia)

Not Verified | Addis is by far the worst airport I've ever been to. If you arrive at 9pm, 10pm or 11pm, prepare yourself for an incredibly chaotic experience. Last time I was there at 10:30pm there were thousands of people, no place to sit, they were laying on the floors. I contacted ground staff immediately as I had a tight connection. Instead of helping me, they yelled at me. I was left to fend for myself and try to navigate through queues with thousands of people. When I missed my flight they yelled at me again, in front of other passengers. I was in a heap of sweat from running so fast to catch my flight. Five others trying to make the same connection as me also missed it. Some of them were old and it took them much longer to make it to the gate. I am young and fit, I literally jumped over people. If I couldn't make it, no one could. It then took three hours to get a hotel and then no one showed me to the shuttle. It was the middle of the night. When I tried to get back into the airport to ask again where the shuttle might be hiding, I was strictly not allowed in. The staff at the door pretended to have no idea what I was talking about. I nearly had a nervous break down outside the airport, in the darkness of the night.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"No problems at all"

Not Verified | No problems at all, in fact I have no idea why it's got such a poor rating. Definitely not the worst airport I've experienced in Africa (hello Ivato!) and certainly better than Entebbe or Jomo Kenyatta. Seemed clean enough and the ground staff were perfectly polite (here's an idea, try being polite and see what happens) moved through at a reasonable pace in transit here.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"airport needs a major upgrade"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | The airport needs a major upgrade. First all departures and arrivals do not have aerobridges. Ground staff service is poor. The information counter is only one and it has 20 people waiting. On lounges it is only applicable to biz class. You cannot pay to access the lounge. Internet is poor, roaming does not work. The worst is the restaurant quality and service. It is monopolies by one and they served me instant noodles. There seem to be major confusion on how you offer and pay.

"Worst airport ever"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Worst airport ever! Prepare to be x-rayed without your permission. Treated like a suspect and made to feel very unwelcome. You will also find very 3rd world restaurants. Very tardy service. (prepare to wait 30 min for a coffee) You can try another restaurant but they're all the same. The staff lack training and education with regards to efficient management. There are not enough toilets for the masses, so be preparrd to wait long and take disinfectant with you for the facilities. Although Ethiopian Airlines are a 1st Class airline. The airport falls extremely short. I would definitely advise avoiding the airport at all costs. A shame they can't use the airport to its fullest potential. It could be such a large source of revenue, due to the thousands of feet travelling through it hourly.

"Chaotic unpleasant experience"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | We were in transit with small children late in the evening. Chaotic and unpleasant experience. Do not fly via Addis with small children. Nothing to purchase in the transit area. Still temporary toilets where water, soap and towels seems to be on hold.
Date VisitApril 2018

"enjoy the chaotic experience"

Not Verified | The airport is usually really disorganized and crowded. Though my last time flying through this airport it appeared like they made effort to create more space by opening up areas that were prevously used for shops. My advice to anyone flying through ADD is to relax and enjoy the chaotic experience. It's not that bad if you can take it easy.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"everything is an effort"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | This airport is the worst airport in Africa. The staff talk to each other and ignore your repeated requests for help. When I arrived I had to queue for 3.5 hours for a peice of paper that gave me access to a hotel. Queues form every where and no one does anything to stop this happening. I would recommend avoiding this airport at all costs. I have traveled through here for 13 years and there is no improvement Staff in the airport give a very bad impression of the Ethiopian people. I am pleased to have friends outside the airport. They are rude and always shout. How Ethiopian Airlines gets African airline of the year is beyond me. Their ground staff don't care that you have paid good money to be on their aircraft yet when asked a question it's like you have interupted their day. Everything is an effort nothing is smooth. The restaurants charge $13 dollars for a basic hamburger - criminal.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"airport was very crowded"

(Kenya)

Trip Verified | The airport was very crowded and felt more like a market place. Dont understand why all connecting flights have to meet at terminal 2. Seats not enough for arriving transit passengers. I had to book a seat or lose it. The duty shops were few. Nothing much to look at. Not enough restaurants to keep one engaged in case if delayed flights. The intercom was horrible. Could not hear or comprehend what the person speaking was saying. Just echoes the entire time. Maybe building a roof lower down could help reduce the echos. Worst airport I have been to for sure. Egypt airport amazing. Kenya airport very good. Please borrow a leaf from these airports. Put more nice restaurants like McDonald's, pizza joints, KFC anything.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"airport is very crowded"

Not Verified | Airport is under construction and expanding. There are duty free shops available and a few cafes to dine in. But all this is pre security clearance area. Once you have cleared security, all you can get is water placed in dispensers. The airport is very crowded when compared to its size and we changed flights two times from the airport and found it to be very crowded both the times. The ground staff at the gates does not seem friendly and also nothing much happens in an ordered fashion here. There is no information provided on the delay in flight by the ground staff. Please be cautious and carry some food along while using this airport as transit. There is absolutely nothing available to buy after security clearance and the wait time is never guaranteed as the delay in flight by at least half hour to one hour seems normal at this airport. The airport does provide wi-fi service but it is very slow. While we were travelling, access of Whatsapp through wi-fi was not possible (possibly blocked).
Date VisitAugust 2018

"Dirty, crowded and potentially lethal"

(Kenya)

Not Verified | Dirty, crowded and potentially lethal. I concur with the points of the other reviewers - the airport is crowded, staff are rude, transit is stressful and through a chaotic security checkpoint, seating non-existent and toilet facilities are woeful, with two toilets in the entire waiting area. The worst thing I witnessed though was during boarding, when another passenger collapsed in a fit outside the boarding gate. Someone was calling out for a doctor, and the airport staff shrugged and said there was no medical staff around. A passenger pleaded with a staff member at the check in counter to call for help, he rudely told the passenger that it was not his problem, and he is only doing his job. The medical emergency was left completely for the other passengers to handle, with no reaction or sympathy from the staff. I don’t know what happened in the end, as I boarded my flight. I would not recommend Addis airport to anyone with medical conditions, as the staff will apparently rather leave you on the floor than attempt to help.
Date VisitJuly 2018