Thomas Cook Airlines

"rubbish for the amount of money paid"

Trip Verified | Manchester to New York with Thomas Cook Airlines. Absolute rubbish for the amount of money paid. Uncomfortable seats that do not recline and very hard. Angle of seat causes neckache, with only a handful of movies for free (6) and old. No free beverages only with dinner:- tea, coffee (no decaf, good job I had my own) squash, pop and water. Came around twice for a long haul flight of 7.5 hours. Thought we got sandwiches before we landed - a dismal flapjack and small cup of water. I wouldn’t fly with them again nor would the people I was with.
RouteManchester to New York

"a decent airline"

Not Verified | Plovdiv to Belfast. It was a decent airline. The seats where mildly uncomfortable though and the free food was disgusting except for the mousse you got in a pot and the lemon muffin as well. The flight staff were nice enough, they didn't talk much but there was one flight attendant who was nice. The food that was actually decent thought was expensive Seriously! £4 for a hot beverage and some shortbread, and it claims to be 'competitive prices' no way! I guess this airline is sort of 'fly us if you are broke yet want to go on a holiday.' And they also don't have anywhere to charge your phone and they don't have wifi either. Not good. Overall if you are flying this airline, bring about £15-£20 for the flight because the actually nice food is expensive. Maybe would recommend to someone who doesn't have the money to fly with other, more expensive airlines.
RoutePlovdiv to Belfast
Date FlownMarch 2019

"spare yourself the agony"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Manchester to San Francisco with Thomas Cook Airlines. Absolute trash for the amount of money paid. Very hard, uncomfortable seats that cannot recline. Angle of seat causes neckache, broken handle on seat and only a handful of movies for free. Plug for headphones defective. Lack of free beverages. Absolutely unfit for a long haul flight of 10 hours. Do not fly with them and spare yourself the agony.
RouteManchester to San Francisco
Date FlownJune 2019

"weight was 12kg instead of 8kg"

(Cyprus)

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Larnaca. I was shocked with the treatment of staff at Gate 1 right before our departure. I had already checked in my 20kg luggage and had my cabin luggage weighted at the check in before (a cabin luggage sticker was placed on my cabin bag). Upon arriving at Gate 1, a member of staff Becca weighed our cabin luggage together with our laptop bags and the total weight for each of us was 12kg instead of 8kg. Okay, I understand that we were overweight, but she then asked for my credit card that I made my booking with. At that time I thought that she wanted to confirm my booking so I gave it to her. She then told me that she wasn’t able to get a payment from my card. She tried to charge me without telling me! She insisted 3-4 times and was very rude. She took my credit card from my hands and when I was asking her of what she was doing I didn’t get a reply! Really, is this your customer service? She told me the extra charge was 65£ but then charged me 130£ Without telling me and I saw it as soon as I boarded the plane! Why were we treated like that? As we were the last people to board the plane we payed 130£ for that extra 4kg, so that we didn’t cause any further delay of the airplanes departure. I personally felt insulted and found her behaviour impolite and disrespectful.
RouteGatwick to Larnaca
Date FlownJune 2019

"such a poor bunch of staff"

Not Verified | We have just returned from Dalaman on Thomas Cook flight MT105 into Gatwick and after 50 years of flying I have never encountered such a poor bunch of staff. We paid for something called Economy Plus which the cabin manager Leanne obviously resented anyone having. Our food was late and had to be prised from the staff...apparently there was some error on the paperwork and we could not have our meals until it was sorted. On a 4 hour flight we not even offered a cup of coffee, a rude member of staff told us they were too busy after they had taken a 'compulsory break' during the flight! We asked for a cold white wine and were told there are no fridges on the aircraft and the ice had run out - in row 2 and service started from the front. In the end we decided to press attendant button and it took 7 minutes for anyone to appear from behind the curtain where the cabin crew were busy munching their food ... a good job it was not an emergency. When she appeared and we asked for our 1st cup of coffee .. some two and half hours into the flight we were told that the sale of duty frees took priority and IF they had time after we may be able to have a cup of coffee - 2 passengers sarcastically asked what the sachets of milk in their meals were supplied for. There were other passengers saying exactly the same as me, Thomas Cook never again. It just seemed like the staff were sure their jobs were going sometime soon and really couldn't care less. This great British airline appears to have given up hope and the whole experience reminds me of the last few months of Monarch airlines and look how that ended. A total disgrace and some employees of Thomas Cook need to take a long hard look at themselves after this dismal performance!
RouteDalaman to Gatwick

"combined weight of 8kg"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Split. Comfort on the seats is terrible, check in staff are rude and unhelpful but most egregious was the baggage charge. In small print they inform you on the website that the only baggage allowed is a combined weight of 8kg with your cabin bag + backpack. Note that this is considerably lower than other budget airline never mind one that markets itself as helpful. They demanded the money and held our passports until we paid.
RouteGatwick to Split

"£140 to check the bag"

Not Verified | I was at checking desk with my wife at Manchester UK returning to New York JFK. We together had one bag to check in and my ticket has the allowance. The agent insisted we don’t have allowance even after I showed reservation document (when we went to Manchester, it was allowed) and ordered us to pay £140 in order to check the bag or abandon it. Due to time constraint, we paid the amount with the understanding that if I can demonstrate my ticket has the bag allowance I can get the refund. After returning to home, I immediately filed a complaint through custom relation online. It says will address within 28 days. I waited through a month and followed up twice. No response!
RouteManchester to New York JFK
Date FlownApril 2019

"Lovely cabin crew"

Trip Verified | Manchester to Gran Canaria. Awesome flight to Gran Canaria, we purchased Economy Plus. We got reserved seats, premium check in, fast track security, extra luggage, Premium drinks & meals included. We sat in Row 1/B., seat very wide & extra leg room. Lovely cabin crew, very attentive. Drinks were flowing and James Martin premium meal was very nice (my partner had vegetarian) and recommended it. No inflight entertainment but still a great flight.
RouteManchester to Gran Canaria
Date FlownMay 2019

"Would certainly recommend"

Trip Verified | Flew from Gatwick to Las Palmas. Paid for exit row seats which were great. Loads of leg room and very attentive crew. Check in was extremely quick, security at the airport was prompt and the flight arrived in Las Palmas on time. Excellent on board meals and a great selection of drinks available. Would certainly recommend Thomas Cook Airlines and use in the future.
RouteLondon to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Date FlownMarch 2019

"Most stressful experience"

Not Verified | So I try to check in- not working online despite multiple times. States to arrive 1 hour before as check in closed then. Arrive 1.5 hours before and there is a queue of at least 50 people and two people at the desks when they wrote on website they were having issues with online check in! At least get more staff in to check in. I would have missed flight if they didn’t push me to front ( which others did not appreciate). Then I am waiting for announcements - states boarding then boarding closing at x time. I arrive 5 minutes before and see the departure lounge full of people sitting. No one boarding! Then 10 minutes later just before flight is meant to leave they decide to make announcement that there is an issue and we will have to wait an hour for next plane to arrive. No one boarded so it was a lie: do not make there rush to gate when you are giving false information. Most stressful experience I have had.
RouteGatwick to Malta