TAG Airlines

"Decent flight of 1:15 hour"

Trip Verified | Cancun to Guatemala. Decent flight of 1:15 hour. Nothing special, all went well except for a delay of 4 hours. Flight attendant was friendly.
AircraftEmbraer
RouteCancun to Guatemala
Date FlownAugust 2022

"Flight personnel very unprofessional"

(Guatemala)

Trip Verified | Flight to Cancun was excellent. I love the jet prop Saab 340. Flight personnel very unprofessional. Never any information from the pilot. Elevation, weather etc. No service. Just water. The return flight was terrible. We departed 21 Oct at 23.00 instead of 14.10. Little information from TAG. Only gave us water. We didn't arrive in Guatemala City, instead they landed in Flores at 01.00, 22 Oct, and put us up in a hotel. We departed 22 Oct at 08.00, arriving in Guatemala City at 09.00. The entire experience was 19 hours, instead of 2 hrs 10 min. On landing in Guate City we were promised a free return flight to Cancun. But they didn't explain how to receive it. I'm sure they don't want us to go through the red tape to claim it. I chose TAG instead of conventional Volaris A320 jet because I wanted a bit of adventure? The departure from Cancun was set as 14.10. I arrived at the gate coming from Valladolid 40 min. before boarding. Perfect timing? TAG first posted a 30 delay departure, and then endlessly extended it on the board, without speaking to the waiting passengers. Finally TAG said, the plane had been hit by lightening and they are sending a replacement plane and departure was set for 20.00. I don't believe it was lightening, I suspect it was equipment failure. We should come to the gate at 19.30. I sat and waited at the gate for an hour becoming thoroughly chilled by the AC and then decided to take the 30 min. ADO bus back to the terminal downtown and look for a pleasant restaurant. Good choice. When I returned to the gate the German group of four were surprised to learn that a passenger can leave the terminal and return. They were jealous. Departure was repeatedly pushed forward and we confronted the timid man at the gate and he told us, 'Oh, the replacement plane is on the way. Be here soon'. Airlines always lie to passengers. We were then told we would depart at 22.00, landing at Guate 23.00 local time. (2 hr flight, and one hr time change.) That didn't happen either. Then they began moving departure forward 10 minutes each 10 minutes. The plane arrived and we departed at 23.00, set to arrive 24.00 Guate time. I put in earplugs to shield the rattle of the Saab 340 and slept soundly awakening to the plane touching down. "This doesn't look like Guate airport." The pilot landed at the wrong airport? No. Bad fog at Guate and inadequate radar, so we landed at Flores Guatemala at 01.00 and it then took them 1.5 hrs to get us to a hotel. I slept from 02.30 to 06.00, feeling quite good. Many passengers were angry. We had only been given water once all these hours, and no food, and little information. Two brave Guatemala men stood and berated the TAG staff. I jumped in and said, "What do we want? A hotel room immediately, and a full refund of our tickets." Silence. We departed Flores at 08.00 for Guate and the flight was fine. Weather good. I've written TAG asking how I can receive my free rt ticket to Cancun. No reply.
AircraftSaab340
RouteCancun to Guatemala City
Date FlownOctober 2021

"Very friendly staff and crew"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | A Saab340 plane in good condition, both flights were on time. Quick check-in at airport. There was no service on the 1 hour flight. No e-check in. Very friendly staff and crew
AircraftSaab340
RouteGuatemala City to Flores
Date FlownSeptember 2021

"the worst customer service"

(Guatemala)

Not Verified | They have the worst customer service. It’s a shame they’re the only airline operating between Peten and Guatemala City. A disgrace for the country. I’ve flown with them many times and always wish I had another options, the past few months have purchased over 20 tickets from them and have shown up for the flight from the jungle to the city (tiny airport, takes 3 minutes to get through) anywhere from 1 hr to 20 minutes before the flight leaves and have always been let through. Today I showed up 40 minutes before the flight left and they said I could not board because they close the flight 45 min before take off. Which is something new. I apologized and said now I know for next time and if they could please make an expecting, it was 5 minutes. They asked if I had prechecked online but i was never emailed an option to precheck. I was traveling due to a medical emergency and there was zero comprehension or understanding, They hadn’t even begun boarding. And I was less than 50 steps from the boarding gate. That’s how tiny the airport is. I asked if I could please speak to a supervisor and they had me call the call center. A call center! I asked to speak to customer service. Customer service is a joke and offensive. All they were interested in was the money to rebook me on the later flight. They charged the full price of the ticket to rebook. Felt like extortion. And zero comprehension for an actually emergency. It just makes me sad that ppl have to deal with this airline in what is otherwise and beautiful and charming country.
RouteFRS to GUA
Date FlownDecember 2020

"Horrific customer service"

Not Verified | Absolutely terrible. Horrific customer service. I showed up long before my flight and was not aloud to enter because I was told I was too late. I sat there for thirty minutes arguing while I could see the plane, and their was no line to enter. The employees were no help and rather rude. I can not stress how terrible this company is. Do not use this company if avoidable. After everything that has happened with them I just hope I can save at least one person from having to support such a horrendous company. They make Spirit and Frontier look like first class service.
RouteFlores to Guatemala City
Date FlownMarch 2021

"this is a big disgrace"

(Israel)

Not Verified | Originally, we had a plan to visit Tikal so we booked our roundtrip flight with TAG airlines from Guatemala City to Flores. Unfortunately, as a result of covid-19, Guatemala president decided to close the borders and we couldn’t make it. The only compensation TAG offered us is airline credit and they refused to give us refund although we tried to explain that an airline credit is worthless for us because we are Israeli citizens and this airline doesn’t operate in our area. I think that this is a big disgrace.
RouteGuatemala to Flores
Date FlownMarch 2020

"terrible customer service"

(Guatemala)

Trip Verified | Guatemala to Flores. Do yourself a favor and fly Avianca. The last time I flew Tag I told myself I would never do it again because of the terrible customer service and sup par safety. I should have stuck to my gut and not chosen TAG for this last minute trip but I did, and nothing has changed. Same terrible customer service, and they won't give you a factura for flight payment which is illegal. And even though my reservation said my first bag and 1 carry on was free, they charged me at the check-in, and said to take it up with the company I did my reservation with. They also charged more than the listed baggage fee online for the weight I was carrying.
RouteGuatemala to Flores
Date FlownDecember 2019

"chose Avianca instead"

(Costa Rica)

Trip Verified | Guatemala City to Flores, I specifically chose to book on TAG airlines to support a local company versus a larger corporate entity. After purchasing these tickets, the only confirmation that I received by e-mail from TAG was a “Factura” or receipt for the amount paid. There was no information directing us to check in or policies of the airline. The morning of our flight we were dropped off by our hotel shuttle at the municipal airport in Guatemala City for our flight to Flores. We went inside the TAG office there and the workers looked at the Factura and indicated that unfortunately we were at the wrong location. We were very confused because we were in the TAG location. The worker indicated that we needed to be at the International airport (for our domestic flight). We asked what we should do and they were unable to provide any direction in English. Upon arriving at the international airport, we proceeded to the TAG service desk but there were no employees anywhere to be found. We frantically looked for someone to help us but there was no one despite the fact that TAG employees from the municipal airport said they would notify the international airport that we were en route. We proceeded to the security checkpoint but were not allowed to proceed because we did not have a boarding pass. Eventually we were able to persuade the security officer to go to the gate in order to find a TAG employee. Two employees returned to the security checkpoint after we were waiting for twenty minutes. One staff indicated that “boarding was closed” despite the fact that it was still prior to the scheduled departure time. She continued that it would be impossible to board at this time and we must return to the service desk with them to further discuss the matter. We returned to the service desk, explained the reason for our delay and that we had been misdirected to the municipal airport for our domestic flight and that no one was at their service desk when we arrived nor were we able to find any TAG employees to assist us. They explained that 30 minutes before departure employees from the service desk must go to the gate to conduct the boarding process. We were surprised by this because normally airlines have someone at the service desk to help with arrivals and customer needs (especially when the have been notified of a delayed passenger which is listed on their flight manifest). We were obviously disappointed at this stage because we had already been frantically trying to catch this flight which we had now obviously missed. We were expecting that they would schedule us on afternoon flight and that we would have to hang around the airport for hours waiting for this next flight. Instead, she informed us that in order to go on the later flight that there would be an additional charge in order to re-book the flight. We were incredulous at the notion that we would be asked to pay additional money on top of the chaos and inconvenience which we had experienced while trying to catch the morning flight. Needless to say we did not fly on TAG. We chose Avianca instead and received the same flight, same cost, much better service, and experience. Don't use TAG when there is a better alternative available.
RouteGuatemala City to Flores
Date FlownDecember 2018

"excellent flight with TAG"

Excellent flight from Guatemala City to Flores and back with TAG Airlines. First flight was a Embraer, second was a Saab 340. Very nice, smooth flight. On the first flight a small snack box was given, on the flight back a soda, chips and cookies were given.
AircraftSaab 340
RouteGUA to FRS
Date FlownJune 2016

"overall a nice little airline"

Day trip from Guatemala City to see the Mayan temples at Tikal. Closest airport is Flores (which actually is not where the airport is located - it is in Santa Elena a couple miles from Flores) and then an hour drive to Tikal. Check in at the small domestic terminal at GUA at 5:15am for a 6:30am departure. TAG flies from GUA to a few cities in Guatemala, then to Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Belize, and all flights are on smaller prop planes from this little terminal. Check in quick and agents very friendly. You get a plastic boarding pass that is colored based on your destination (like the old Southwest Airlines used to do in the 70s and 80s) and then they call "blue" or "orange" and you board when your color is called. Flight was on a Saab 340A in decent condition and totally full. Nice flight attendant and friendly greetings from the cockpit. Delayed take off with inbound traffic, and a bumpy cloudly 10-15 minutes after take-off but then smoothed out. A drink and snack were served on the 45-minute flight. Quick landing over beautiful Flores (which itself is just a tiny island in lake Peten Itza) and taxi to the terminal. Only carry-on so thru to the exit and off to Tikal. The return was the same (6:30pm departure) except to pay the departure fee of QZ20 (about 3 US dollars) and then go through "international screening security" to the gate. It was a domestic flight so was kinda funny to be told "go thru international screening". Snack bar and air conditioning so that was good. Full flight back with the same crew as we had flying in that morning - again friendly smiles. Take off and landing on time. Overall a nice little airline but expensive ($250 roundtrip for a 45 minute flight) but beats a 9-hour one way bus ride.
AircraftSaab 340A