South African Airways

"wouldn’t refund our charges"

Not Verified | My wife and I booked and paid for exit row seats 70 days before departure for the 15 hour flight from JFK to South Africa. We were notified at the gate that we were not in exit rows and not even in the same row. We both had middle seats. When we complained we were told there was nothing to be done. The wouldn’t refund our charges and we are still jumping through hoops. There is absolutely no customer service.
RouteNew York JFK to Johannesburg
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"customer care before the flight"

(Italy)

Not Verified | Frankfurt to Cape Town. It's not a review of a flight but about customer care before the flight. SAA canceled my flight, bought two weeks before. Considering it was a multi-track flight (6 flights) i booked all the seats, but after the cancellation of two of these, they erased all the booking seats. I asked to proceed to re-book the seats for free, because I already paid for them. I contacted the customer care on twitter and one operator was good and wrote me he/she rebooked all the 4 SAA flights. After 3 days the seats seems not yet booked and I'm trying again to have an answer from them on twitter, without success. I'm really disappointed.
RouteFrankfurt to Cape Town
Date FlownFebruary 2020

"all in all a great flight"

Not Verified | Maputo to Perth via Johannesburg. Two great flights. Maputo-Johannesburg: The A320 is a brand aircraft with the new cabin. The seat is a comfortable leather, similar to the ones on the A330-300. The crew were really friendly. We had a delay leaving Maputo because our engines wouldn’t start due to a faulty APU. The captain and first officer were very nice and told us the situation. Johannesburg-Perth: The A340-300 was showing it’s age. I believe our plane was made in 2003. The economy seats were a bit old but comfortable. There was lots of legroom for the 8hr flight. The food was great and the service was amazing. The entertainment system was quite old but had up to date movies so you wouldn’t get bored. The two things I found a let down. The arm rest wouldn’t go all the way up due to the remote for the IFE situated there. Also how you couldn’t store any baggage during takeoff or landing if you are seated in the aisle. But all in all a great flight.
AircraftA320 / A340-300
RouteMaputo to Perth via Johannesburg
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"a very pleasant flight"

Trip Verified | Cape Town to Johannesburg. Once again a very pleasant flight on SAA. The cabin crew was extremely professional and friendly. I fly many different airlines regularly and SAA ranks in my top 3 due to their excellent service. Their hard product may not be very competitive (still very comfortable though) anymore, but they surely make up for it in service and catering.
RouteCape Town to Johannesburg
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"carry on luggage were weighed"

Trip Verified | Washington to Accra. South African airways was the most affordable way for me to travel. If you are flying out of Washington, be mindful of your carry on luggage. All pieces of carry on luggage were weighed at least 3 times. If anything was over the limit, you were obligated to pay. If you go with South African, expect bad behavior and rudeness.
RouteWashington to Accra
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"definitely fly SAA again"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Cape Town. I was skeptical given the strike that only recently ended but I was pleasantly surprised by the ease and speed of the check-in. The plane was on time and the ground staff were excellent. Boarding was beautifully done and quick. We had a bus gate but that's a small qualm. Seats are old but comfortable. There were warm smiles all through the journey from the cabin crew. Drinks were a bit late in being served due to turbulence but we were informed accordingly. When they did come through, I was able to get more than one beverage. We arrived on time and my luggage was intact. Will definitely fly SAA again.
AircraftA320-200
RouteJohannesburg to Cape Town

"friendly crew on board"

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to Cape Town. Good flight, very friendly service, helping and take care of customers. Good food, nice lounge before departure. Nice to fly with a friendly crew on board.
RouteJohannesburg to Cape Town
Date FlownJanuary 2020

"6 across in Business not acceptable"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Cape Town to Johannesburg. I've flown SAA over 50 times over the last 2 years, and without exception every flight has been on time. Crew have been consistently good. Now the moans, just flown on the A350 in Business, lovely aircraft, but 6 across in Business is not acceptable for a long haul flight these days, made worse by the fact that the seats on the A330-300 are 1-2-1 and are superb. There's no consistency. I travel to Europe regularly in Business and avoid SAA simply due to the seats on the older aircraft, they've been the same for over 15 years.
RouteCape Town to Johannesburg

"Keep up the good work"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | London to Johannesburg. I have been a SAA gold card holder for years and will always support them. However Mango their codeshare internal partner are another story, some times internal flight connections after a long haul are not available with SAA and I end up on Mango who honestly have a terrible ontime record I can’t remember the last one that was actually on time. Keep up the good work in the times of change ahead.
RouteLondon to Johannesburg

"delayed 1.5 hours"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Durban to Johannesburg. Airplane delayed 1.5 hours. I waited longer than the flight takes and they will only give a coffee voucher after 2 hours. No wonder they aren't a profitable company. Late for a meeting. I would never again trust this airline.
RouteDurban to Johannesburg