Kenya Airways

"Horrible first time experience"

Trip Verified | Horrible first time experience. Travelled from London on 19th January to Nairobi transiting to Ghana. Before that they changed our departure time from Nairobi to 30mins late. As if that was not enough, we got to Nairobi at about 9pm after being delayed at Heathrow only to be told our flight had been delayed again for another 6hours. Instead of leaving at 10pm, we were to leave at 4am. No communication, and not even a rep to speak to another airport in Nairobi, which is their headquarters. No body cared about us and all a lady could say it, we will give you hot food. Such a horrible experience, to just sit at the airport for 6hours, after an 8and half hour flight with no place to freshen up, and then instead of leaving at 4, we left at 4.50am. No apologies from anyone. Now I am dreading my return journey. I will not take this airline again and will certainly not recommend to any one. Shame to treat other Africans as 2nd class citizens and yet call yourself the pride of Africa. Maybe it’s time to change that name not befitting your poor services.
RouteLondon to Accra via Nairobi
Date FlownJanuary 2023

"never recommend this airline"

Trip Verified |  I wanted to change my one flight time and was advised that i would be charged 2400USD. 2400USD for a change that was more almost double of what it cost me to fly from USA and then to South Africa. I was only requesting a flight time change from Kenya to South Africa. I tried to call customer services a few times and it takes almost an hour for them to answer. After waiting an hour they cut me off. All said i would never recommend this airline to anyone.
RouteNairobi to Ndola
Date FlownJanuary 2023

"Highly do not recommend"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | Highly do not recommend. Flight on the way to London had no working screens. On my connecting flight to Johannesburg, they overbooked our flight by 70 passengers. No order or sympathy whatsoever and it was a dog fight to get the first available seat which was 8 hours later ! Will never fly with them again.
RouteLondon to Johannesburg via Nairobi
Date FlownJanuary 2023

"the luggage was still in Nairobi"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | We were travelling from Amsterdam to Johannesburg with Kenia Airways. Our original itinerary was as follows. Amsterdam to Paris KQ1243 05/01/2023 16:35 > 17:50 Paris to Nairobi KQ115 05/01/2023 20:20 > 06:25 Nairobi to Johannesburg KQ760 06/01/2023 07:45 > 10:55 When boarding in Paris we were made to sit in the aeroplane for 4.5 hours without air conditioner, food, or drink. We eventually left and arrived too late for our connecting flight to Johannesburg. Kenia Airways wasn’t prepared at all for this eventuality even though they knew about it for more than 12 hours. We were bundled into a group, and they tried sorting out the passengers rerouted flight. This took Kenia Airways 4 hours to complete for us, some passengers were still waiting after us. Our Itinerary changed to: Nairobi to Dar Es Salaam KQ488 06/01/2023 23:45 > 01:15 Dar Es Salaam to Johannesburg 4Z37 07/01/2023 03:25 > 06:10 On arrival at Johannesburg, we realized that our luggage wasn’t on the carousel. Even after I did confirm with Kenia Airways 4 times that the luggage would be rerouted with our itinerary change. Once when we received our changed flight details. Second time just before we were taken to the hotel to freshen up. Third time on my return from the hotel and then the last time when boarding the flight to Dar Es Salaam. I was reassured that our luggage would be on the flight with us each time. Now getting to realize that the above was all lies just to get rid of me, we started the process to find our luggage. After being sent to 3 different counters we were directed to the Airlink Customer Service Centre. Here we met our angel who checked and assured us that the luggage never arrived in Dar Es Salaam which means that Airlink didn’t receive it from Kenia Airways. This meant it wasn’t Airlinks responsibility anymore, but they then told us that they will load an enquiry and get the process going. Upon loading, he realized that the luggage was still in Nairobi but was scheduled to be on Flight KQ760 on 7/1/2023. This meant that Kenya Airways didn’t change the luggage tags to include our flights. The problem was that now we were already on the landside of the airport and couldn’t go back to the airside to get our luggage on the carousel after the flight land at 10:55.
RouteAmsterdam to Johannesburg via Nairobi
Date FlownJanuary 2023

"really regret giving KA a 2nd chance"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | On 29.11.2022 I tried to make a booking online for a ticket costing 930 USD for a relative however the kenya airways website showed error after the payment and the ticket was not issued. I bought the same ticket the same day from another bank account. On 30.11.2022 I contacted the KA customer service to cancel the booking in process (for the 1st ticket), the agent promised to do that instead he issued the ticket. He apologized and promised I would receive refund within 5 days, instead the 5th day the money was taken from my account (it was in authorisation status until). I placed a refund claim online which was acknowledged by KA and I was promised to be paid within 15 working days which did not happen. I tried to communicate with KA, however I either received no response or very general responses. I don't see any good will from KA to reimburse the money which was taken from my account because of the fault of their agent. Their whatsapp customer service is a joke, if you manage to speak to actual person the minute you mention refund they cut you off. Don't fly with this airline. I really regret giving KA a 2nd chance.
RouteKigali to Mauritius via Nairobi
Date FlownDecember 2022

"I would never trust Kenyan Airways again"

Not Verified | I booked my business class seat with Kenyan Airways on Thursday the 3rd of November for Sunday the 6th. I had a BA flight booked for the 7th but needed to be home early. At no time at booking was any issues indicated. I had to fly to Nairobi the day before and stay in the Crowne Plaza near the airport for the night. At 6:30 am I arrived at the terminal to find utter chaos. It transpires the pilots had gone on strike a day or so previously. At no point was there any communication to tell passengers this. We were pushed from pillar to post around the airport and then told to stand in line to rebook. There were still people waiting from the previous day to get alternative flights. Fortunately I’m in the position to be able to afford to find an alternative so got a business seat from Nairobi to Dubai on Emirates and then a 6 hour layover and then onto Heathrow again with Emirates. It’s now been over a month and despite putting in my claim I’m still waiting for my £2600 one way ticket to be refunded. I’ve given them the benefit of the doubt for a month and absolutely nothing hence my review. They clearly are going to hang onto my money for as long as possible and ignore me. I’m going back to Kenya soon and have stuck with BA I would never trust Kenyan Airways again.
RouteNairobi to London
Date FlownNovember 2022

"Great flight"

Trip Verified | First time in Kenya Airways and all was good. They had an email upgrade offer to either business class or to have the seat next to you vacant. I chose the latter as it was only $45 and an hour ten flight. Check in was friendly and easy. Zanzibar airport has a new terminal but there is literally one restaurant and one shop. Nothing else so was stuck with all my Taz currency as there was nothing to buy. Boarding was quick. FA greeting at the door. Had my seat next to me open as promised so lots of space. Smooth take off and drink and snack service for the flight. No inflight entertainment but for a short flight who cares. Landed early and bags off once we were thru immigration. Great flight.
AircraftE195
RouteZanzibar to Nairobi
Date FlownNovember 2022

"losing a fully paid day at our hotel"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | We booked our tickets to Zanzibar on 10 July 22 already! We chose a direct flight route and paid the premium for that choice. 8 hours before our departure Kenya Airways sends a message to say that our connection flight to Zanzibar has been delayed. On further investigation we found that Kenya Air has now charged us the expensive direct route, but placed us on the delayed cheap route just prior to departure. We are losing a fully paid day at our hotel in Zanzibar, and have to sit on Nairobi airport from 07h20 to 19h50. Great way to start our honeymoon! We have been trying to resolve this issue for 3 hours but they do not even bother to communicate to their passengers. This airline is a total scam!!!
AircraftB787
RouteJohannesburg to Nairobi via Zanzibar
Date FlownDecember 2022

"they have not issued my refund"

Not Verified | I had a canceled flight (from Kigali to Nairobi) and filed all proper procedures for refund since August 5, 2022. Since then, I’ve had several back and forth to their office and until today November 14, they have not issued my refund. Every time I talk to them, it’s the same false promises! This airline has no accountability, especially when dealing with foreigners. Once they have your money in their country, it’s gone! I’d not recommend anyone to trust these thieves.
RouteKigali to Nairobi
Date FlownAugust 2022

"I had a very bad experience"

Not Verified | I was connecting from Lusaka to New York from Kenya I got off the plane I checked the board it said gate 16 for JFK New York so I sat there waiting for the boarding call . The flight for New York was supposed to departure at 11:35 I sat there for almost an hour with no boarding call. I asked one of the employees there what time the flight for New York was leaving she gave a vague answer than around 11:40 or so they was a last boarding call. The Gate was charged to gate 19 I almost missed my flight and than I had to run to the Gate. I had a very bad experience and I don't think I will fly Kenya Airways again very disappointed.
RouteLusaka to New York via Nairobi