China Airlines

"food was very boring"

Trip Verified | Sydney to London via Taipei. The walking aisle was no bigger than for 1 person (like planes in short flights), therefore it was not possible to stretch your legs, and in the flight London - Sydney you really need it. I would not recommend this company for more than 4 hr flight max. The food was very boring, pretty much all the same - rice with something. I was woken up by staff in the middle of the flight and ask to move to my original seat even I was already there, I showed my ticked, however the staff didn't apologise me. Very upsetting when it is very hard to fall in sleep in the very uncomfortable flight, but instead of enjoying it you been woken up.
RouteSydney to London via Taipei
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"comfortable and quiet"

(Taiwan)

Trip Verified | Delhi to Taipei. Service excellent and staff were professional. Food was far better than expected. The plane was very comfortable and quiet. After 8 hours plus of travel arrived to Taipei Flights seem to go quick.
RouteDelhi to Taipei

"Fare unbeatable"

Trip Verified | Service excellent, all staff were professional. Food was far better than expected. The A350 was very comfortable and quiet. After 24 hours plus of travel arrived into Gatwick with no aches and pains. Flights seem to go quick. Leg room excellent. Only thing missing was the camera. Previously flown China Airlines from Syd to Akl and on the A330 they had the nose camera and the kids loved seeing take off and landing. The A350 does not have this. The camera is a very minor point as the IFE made up for this. System very quick and did not cause any issues. Good selection of movies and TV shows. Fare unbeatable.
RouteSydney to Gatwick via Taipei
Date FlownApril 2019

" Unbelievably horrible"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Manila via Taipei. Unbelievably horrible! Flight for my brother was May 1st. It's now the 7th and my brother still doesn't have his luggage! He can't buy clothes his size in the Philippines. I spent 7 hours and $200 in international calls trying to track down his lost luggage. His luggage "may" show up in Manila tomorrow - seriously? Worst customer service.
RouteLos Angeles to Manila via Taipei

"cabin service was good"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Overall an excellent Business Class product on the A350, the seat offers privacy and comfort with an easy to operate inflight entertainment system. The negatives I found were that the blanket provided was too thin and the seven hour wait for the connecting flight on the return journey out of Taipei too long. The cabin service was good, particularly Taipei to London where the service was faultless. I will definitely look to use the airline again in the future.
AircraftA350-900
RouteAuckland to London via Taipei

"The seat the best"

Trip Verified | Taipei to Honolulu. A wonderful experience. The seat the best, cabin staff warm and efficient, the entertainment good enough. Food presentation is wonderful, an appealing service. The food itself needs refining, lightening in terms of sauces etc but that is minor. I highly recommend the business class.
RouteTaipei to Honolulu

"extremely bad experience"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Taipei. I had an extremely bad experience with China Airlines, and request some answers from them. We bought tickets mid February for return tickets : Hong Kong – Taiwan (flight CI 922). At check-in, the morning of the flight, the staff simply told us that we couldn’t take our flight. Besides generating a huge frustration feeling before our holidays even start, the fact that she didn’t propose any solution or even look for solution is simply astonishing. So the reason she gave us is that our names on the booking didn’t match our passports. To be precise, our First Name was correct, and our Family Name was also correct. BUT, she told me that we had to put all our middle names as well with our First Names. Apparently, this is a change in the policy that was pushed before, but she was not able to tell us how recently. And as we did not put our middle names, our tickets were unusable, we couldn’t take the plane. Everything else was correct : passport number, dates, etc. No solution proposed, no real help, nothing… Oh wait, actually yes, she proposed us a solution : buy new tickets, obviously ! In my country, the middle names are absolutely never used. Moreover, every time I didn’t put our middle names in the booking, all the companies let us go on the plane. But China Airlines only decided not to. So I tried to find a solution, any action we could do to amend it. Of course, modifying the booking online by myself was prohibited by China Airlines website. I went back on the website to check the display of the booking page, and where this rule is written. So actually there is now a mention in brackets to put middle names (which I don’t remember to see last time, anyway). However, there are only 2 boxes called “Last Name” and “First Name”. If you require middle names too, add a dedicated box, it is clearer. On top of that, my first name contains an hyphen, but the website does not accept it. Moreover, I have commas between my middle names, but as the website does not accept special characters neither, how to input them ? Finally, where there is a change in policy, you should make it more obvious ! The technical limitations of the website make everything even more confusing. So at the counter I asked her to amend our booking; not possible neither. How come ?? Wait, actually, yes, she could modify the booking, but ONLY 3 LETTERS… What ? yes, 3 letters. So she managed to amend our son’s booking as the middle name was only 3 letters long (of course, with a fee), but not ours… What of a rule is this ? So actually, China Airlines CAN amend booking. Technically and regulatory, it is possible(I presume China airlines will use some kind of dark regulation to explain that only 3 letters can be changed for security purposes…) They just didn’t for us. So we finally bought new tickets, with fees, more expensive of course. I made reimbursement request for the old ones, and of course, no answer yet. And I don’t expect any. Better have customers paying twice and not losing money, right China airlines ? At Taipei counter, I told China Airlines staff my story, and ask them if they could amend our names, they replied “yes it should be possible to amend”, “hum, I don’t understand why they told you that in Hong Kong, I am not sure why”.
RouteHong Kong to Taipei
Date FlownApril 2019

"Very comfortable product"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Taipei to Vancouver. Very comfortable product. Seat and food excellent, especially for a long total journey after transit in TPE. Service attentive but not over the top. Drinks a little limited but pleasant enough. Inflight WiFi fast and TPE lounge generally comfortable too although did start to get a bit crowded.
AircraftBoeing 777/350
RouteTaipei to Vancouver
Date FlownMarch 2019

"the worst airline ever"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Honolulu via Taipei. This is the worst airline ever. They have cancelled our flight from April 5th to April 3rd and our return trip from April 19th to April 21st, which caused us a lot of trouble to change our itinerary and we had to cancel our business deal with our customers. Their are 4 of us and they split our seating and 4 of us have to sit separate of each other.
RouteBangkok to Honolulu via Taipei
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"Awful customer service"

Trip Verified | Awful customer service! I purchased a 2-segments tickets through China Airline website. The 2nd segment (New York to Boston) was carried by JetBlue. When I contacted China Airlines to get refund for the 2nd segment, they told me that JetBlue did something to the ticket so they can't process the ticket in their system right now. I asked China Airlines to talk directly to JetBlue, but they wouldn't do it. They kept asking me to translate their issues for them although I don't even know some of the terminology used. And each time when I called back to China Airlines, I got connected to a different rep so I had to repeat my story and tell the 2nd rep about what the first rep told me and what JetBlue told me. These went on for 4 rounds. Each round, I had to explain more, why there need to be a refund, what the 1st rep said, what JetBlue replied, what the 2nd rep said, etc. It is an unbelievably bad customer service. Finally, somehow they were able to process it and told me they'd contact me about the refund. Few days later, I got an email from China airline telling me that yes, they could refund me now, but I'll need to personally go to a China Airlines office, which is in a completely different state, far from the state I live to get this refund! I was very furious and replied by asking who would pay the airfare for me to fly to another state to get this refund in person and why couldn't they simply refund the money back to the credit card I used to purchased the tickets in the first place. At this moment, I have not gotten any reply about my email and have not seen the money deposited to my credit card either.
RouteTaipei to Boston via New York