China Airlines

"the worst airline ever"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Honolulu via Taipei. This is the worst airline ever. They have cancelled our flight from April 5th to April 3rd and our return trip from April 19th to April 21st, which caused us a lot of trouble to change our itinerary and we had to cancel our business deal with our customers. Their are 4 of us and they split our seating and 4 of us have to sit separate of each other.
RouteBangkok to Honolulu via Taipei
Date FlownFebruary 2019

"Awful customer service"

Trip Verified | Awful customer service! I purchased a 2-segments tickets through China Airline website. The 2nd segment (New York to Boston) was carried by JetBlue. When I contacted China Airlines to get refund for the 2nd segment, they told me that JetBlue did something to the ticket so they can't process the ticket in their system right now. I asked China Airlines to talk directly to JetBlue, but they wouldn't do it. They kept asking me to translate their issues for them although I don't even know some of the terminology used. And each time when I called back to China Airlines, I got connected to a different rep so I had to repeat my story and tell the 2nd rep about what the first rep told me and what JetBlue told me. These went on for 4 rounds. Each round, I had to explain more, why there need to be a refund, what the 1st rep said, what JetBlue replied, what the 2nd rep said, etc. It is an unbelievably bad customer service. Finally, somehow they were able to process it and told me they'd contact me about the refund. Few days later, I got an email from China airline telling me that yes, they could refund me now, but I'll need to personally go to a China Airlines office, which is in a completely different state, far from the state I live to get this refund! I was very furious and replied by asking who would pay the airfare for me to fly to another state to get this refund in person and why couldn't they simply refund the money back to the credit card I used to purchased the tickets in the first place. At this moment, I have not gotten any reply about my email and have not seen the money deposited to my credit card either.
RouteTaipei to Boston via New York
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"A350 was very comfortable"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Seoul via Taipei. The flight in the A350 from Amsterdam to Taipei was very comfortable. Especially the food and inflight entertainment made a good impression. Wifi was available, however quite expensive. The second flight from TPE to ICN was in the Boeing 747-400. This plane felt quite old and the seats and inflight entertainment were obviously old.
AircraftA350 / B744
RouteAmsterdam to Seoul via Taipei
Date FlownAugust 2018

"service quality is going down"

Trip Verified | Kaohsiung to Hong Kong. I checked in at the Kaohsiung airport today at the business class counter. Was greeted by two extremely rude desk staff! Completely surprised. In the past I have always had good experience it it seems service quality is going down. Strongly encourage others to avoid this airline till they get their act together. The flight itself was fine.
RouteKaohsiung to Hong Kong
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"lounges are notoriously bleak"

Not Verified | San Francisco to Bangkok via Taipei. The seats on their 777-300 and A350 are excellent, wide and full lie-flat, and decent blanket. The seats are sturdy, so you can't feel movement by other passengers in neighboring seats getting up and down. Amenities are decent, and the cabin staff is attentive. Overall, though, this is at best a middling business-class product. Unlike other airlines, you don't get Champagne before departure, just a choice of apple juice, orange juice, or water. In-flight entertainment options are quite limited, with many movies and TV shows available only in Chinese. The food tends to be merely edible, and seldom appetizing or enjoyable. It's beyond me why they charge business class passengers for WiFi - there's nothing like paying upwards of $5000 for a single ticket, trying to log on to WiFi, and finding that you need to pay extra for WiFi access. As for ground service, China Airlines lounges are notoriously bleak. They're often quite crowded, and the food and beverage choices are ridiculously limited. (In Taipei, for example, they have 4-5 dim sum varieties on offer, some congee, and a couple of other Chinese offerings, such as a cabbage stir-fry dish. At the SFO lounge, the choices are vastly more limited. You'll get far better food outside in the terminal.) The functionality of the China Airlines website is primitive at best - I have yet to find out how to pull up my itinerary without trying to check in.
AircraftBoeing 777-300 A350
RouteSan Francisco to Bangkok via Taipei
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"made this flight a memorable one"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Flight attendants on the NGO-TPE leg (A333) and TPE-NGO (B738) surely made this flight a memorable one. They were so attentive and despite being Taiwanese, their Japanese language skills were superb. TPE-KUL-TPE was just heaven. The decor on the B777-300ER was well thought out. The flight attendant on the KUL-TPE leg went beyond the norm of a normal FA. When I asked the brand of the Oolong tea served on the aircraft, she gladly gave me a tea bag of the one they serve on flight. My wife and I did an overnight at Taipei but I would definetely recommend and fly China Airlines again on my next trip to Southeast Asia.
AircraftA330-300, Boeing 777-300ER, Boeing 737-800
RouteNagoya to Kuala Lumpur via Taipei

"an excellent experience"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Vienna to Palau via Taipei. It was an excellent experience. The service was consistent and cordial on all 4 legs of the trip. I find the business class seat very comfortable on the A350. The old school seat on the 737 is comfortable enough for the shorter flights. On my way back flying Palau to Taipeh I was the only passenger in C and the flight attendant did everything to keep my glass filled. Food was good and plenty, the entertainment was good with many choices. I tested the onboard WLan which was alright, but not really needed. The lounge in Taipeh was comfortable and the shower highly appreciated. On my final leg to Vienna a (minor) medical incident occured and they looked for medical personnel. Me and another MD attended the passenger. Afterwards the purser came personally to thank me and bowed to me. I felt very special being a customer of this airline!
AircraftA350-900 / B737-800
RouteVienna to Palau via Taipei
Date FlownOctober 2018

"consider China Airlines again"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Manila via Taipei. All 4 segments of our flights went relatively well, there were no hassles and the fare we paid was good especially since this was for Christmas peak season. The San Francisco-Taipei and Taipei-San Francisco flights both were excellent but the Taipei-Manila and Manila-Taipei were okay. SFO-TPE: Check-in was a breeze and there were no hassles with the luggage although we were slightly overweight by a fraction. The B777-300ER plane we flew looks fairly new. We got seats 71H & 71K - perfect for couples. Food was good, service was decent. There were lots of entertainment options, movies, etc. and monitor was huge and resolution was sharp. Toilet was clean and I was told flight crew periodically clean it/wipe it down, which was well appreciated. They exceeded my expectations. TPE-MNL: We had 1.5 hours of transit time but lines were very long through security. Aircraft was A330 with a 2-4-2 configuration. We loved the fact that we were seated on a pair of seats as we like to keep to ourselves. Service was decent, nothing exceptional. Food was okay. There were some entertainment options on board including movies but since this was a 2-hour flight, it was not enough to finish a complete movie. The aircraft was also older and the monitor was smaller and not as sharp than the B777-300ER. MNL-TPE: Same aircraft as TPE-MNL with similar experience. My only unfavorable comment was that restrooms weren't clean on this flight. Some passenger completely made a mess in the entire lavatory and it appears flight crew do not clean this, possibly because it was a very short flight. TPE-SFO: Similar comments as CI003 SFO-TPE. We were seated on 70H & 70K. We really loved the pair of seats in the back. Again, food and service were excellent. No transit issues as we purposely took the 11-hour layover to see the city. However, immigration line took 1.5 hours - not good. Otherwise, the experience was good. Overall we were very pleased with our experience. Flights were on time, products and services were good, luggage came as expected and there were no significant inconveniences/hassles. We would consider flying China Airlines again.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER, A330
RouteSan Francisco to Taipei
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"Very unfriendly on weight"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Singapore via Taipei. Very unfriendly on weight for Business Class. We are first time travel on this Airline on Business Class which was recommended by Flight Center. We booked our Round the World all on Business Class, of course, a lot of shopping which resulted overweight for check in Luggage of 9 kg per person. Check in service insisted us to pay for the 9kg fees and later I had spoken to a friendly Supervisor but not much help. She manage to get us extra 1kg free only per person. We have no choice, open up luggage, throw away 8kg of stuff per person to made them happy but not us. We should have stick to our Singapore Kris Flyer may have avoided all these. China Airlines are too straight to Business Class, moreover, we are travelling Round the World.
AircraftA340-300
RouteHong Kong to Singapore via Taipei
Date FlownDecember 2018

"negligence of airport staff"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Los Angeles connecting at Taipei, with Special Assistance of Wheel chair for me. After alighting from CI 832 at Taipei around 7:00 pm, I was asked to ride a fully packed cab with similar assisted passengers to the Transfer Area. I had a carry-on trolley bag with me, which personnel carelessly loaded on top of three folded wheelchairs. As the cab speeded on way my bag fell off the cab hitting the airport floor. I did complain to the accompanying staff and expressed my apprehension of the damage to its contents, and also showed them the visible external damage to the bag. Upon arriving at home in Anaheim, on opening the bag I found more than three pieces of the souvenirs had broken, as well as the bag had cracked. Not only I feel dismayed and heartbroken as the souvenirs are irreplaceable here, and the bag was almost new. Because of their fragility I had decided to hand carry the souvenirs instead of checking them as checked baggage. This is all due to sheer negligence of airport staff at Taipei.
RouteBangkok to Los Angeles via Taipei