China Airlines

"never fly with China airlines again"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Jakarta via Taipei. Will never fly with China airlines again, flight attendants are rude no common courtesy, get into your personal space without warning no "excuse me" no nothing! Felt like a harrasment because I purchased a premium economy seats for my infant and have to argue back and forth about it because they didn't believe my 1,5 year old is not 2 years old, I bought 3 premium economy seats for my 2 kids and I but they only gave me 2 meals and not counting my other kid! Their excuse is they don't have infant food even tho I told them my 1,5 year old can eat anything, asking me to show my kid passport all the time because they thought my 1,5 year old is too big for her age. Told me to deflate my flytot even tho other passengers in economy class are allowed to using theirs, even after I deflated it they keep coming back and woken me up because they thought I was still using it! I have to literally show them I didn't use the flytot anymore! Again I will never fly with China airlines ever again. The only reason I gave 2 stars for cabin service and not 1 star is because one of the flight attendant actually felt bad for keep asking me about my child. But out of 4 flights we've taken only 1 was bearable.
RouteLos Angeles to Jakarta via Taipei
Date FlownSeptember 2019

"I enjoyed both flights"

(Taiwan)

Trip Verified | Taipei to Beijing return. The inbound flight was delayed over one hour. The customer service in Beijing offered passengers snacks and soft drinks. Overall, the service was very nice. Seats are comfortable. I enjoyed both flights.
RouteTaipei to Beijing
Date FlownAugust 2019

"Would recommend for the price"

Trip Verified | We flew Brisbane to London Gatwick via Taipei and return with China Airlines. We weren’t delayed on any of the flights there or back. Blankets, pillows were waiting for us when we boarded. On the longer legs (Taipei - Gatwick & Gatwick - Taipei) amenity kits were provided (we were in economy!) so that was a nice little extra. The seats were not comfortable at all which is a shame and the food was a little disappointing. The cabin service was alright. Would recommend for the price. They were the cheapest tickets at the time of booking.
RouteBrisbane to London via Taipei
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"lacks basic human courtesy"

Trip Verified | China Airlines has the worst customer service and support. We booked a round trip from Singapore to Vancouver last week. Our flight got cancelled due to a typhoon in Taipei and we got to know of it just a day before we were suppose to fly. There was no way to reach out to the airlines - no helpline 24*7. It was a struggle to contact the airline and we wrote on their Facebook page on which they responded. They asked to wait and asked to visit the airport next day morning. Got there early morning and they blatantly said they can’t do anything! Flight is cancelled and no replacement to fly. We were told there is one flight which was on very short notice and we coudnt have possibly taken it! With no way out we booked another flight to do our trip paying a lot more extra. We reached Vancouver and were continuously getting messages from China Airlines for our return flight which made us comfortable that our outgoing flight is on! To our horror, we were stopped from boarding the flight! And then came in the China Airlines supervisor who broke some news to us which none bothered to convey till then by the airlines. First he said if you board the flight you can’t get refund for the incoming flight which we technically did use. Yes, we couldn't use because you cancelled the flight and did not give any backup flight to the helpless customer. None of the customer service people at the airport told us about the refund and cancellation in such scenarios. Zero communication. The supervisor blatantly asked to decide whether to board and forget the refund for one way or buy another ticket and take a full refund. We were aghast. This isn’t just a monetary situation but a big mental pressure for someone travelling with family. The airline showed no sympathy towards the child too. To convey the same we went to one of the representatives and they kinda looked lost had no idea and then directed us to someone else, laughing at out back. This is ridiculous and shows the airline lacks basic human courtesy! A little later the supervisor came and said That we can't board the flight altogether! Since the ticket stands null and void! None from the airlines conveyed us till now and instead we were getting all flight updates on messages. Is it a technical problem that your system shows customer wrong information and you the right information? We coudnt sleep looking for another pocket friendly Flight to go Home and hotel to stay. Who’s to be blamed? We may forget the financial loss but the mental agony China Airlines has caused is beyond words.
RouteSingapore to Vancouver via Taipei
Date FlownAugust 2019

"terrific value for money"

(Hungary)

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Brisbane via Taipei. Extremely good experience! Firstly terrific value for money as this similar trip with Turkish Airlines or Singapore Airlines was going to cost over double the price of China Airlines! Ground staff were helpful and efficient, lounge in Taipei was great and cabin crew service was friendly yet not overbearing. The food on all sectors was terrific with plenty of variety in the meals across all 4 sectors - I always chose to eat rather than sleep since I didn't want to miss the meal! Seats are very comfortable and happily got all the sleep I could. Both the B777 and A350 were enjoyable although the A350 is the newer and better product. I was worried about my bags as I also had a flight before Frankfurt but both bags happily made it through all 6 flights without being lost or damaged. Only negatives are that the entertainment system is a bit limited with about 50% of the movies in English with few of them particularly recent and the selection is poorly organised, especially compared to someone like Emirates, but in Business Class it was easy to sleep rather than watch a movie - this would be a bigger problem in Economy where it's harder to get good sleep. Also their flight schedule can lead to some long transit layovers in Taipei and they make too many announcements in the lounge, which was especially unnecessary when a small delay of 20 minutes on my flight was communicated to me via text, email and a lounge attendant even came and found me personally to let me know! So many announcements affected the atmosphere a bit and made it hard to rest. Definitely recommended with a terrific value for money in Business Class and a great product and service.
AircraftBoeing 777 / A350
RouteFrankfurt to Brisbane via Taipei
Date FlownAugust 2019

"flight times changed at least 5 times"

Trip Verified | I booked round-trip flight from LAX to Bangkok via Taipei for January 2020. Since the time I booked the flight 5 months ago, the flight times were changed at least 5 times. The latest arrival time is much later than the original arrival time which created a problem for my plans. I cancelled the fight but was charged $200 cancellation fee ($100 for each person in the booking). Since my cancellation was due to China Airline’s change of schedule, the $200 cancellation fee should be waived. But China Airline refused to refund.
RouteBangkok to Los Angeles via Taipei

"A350 is a great plane"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Denpasar to Rome via Taipei. The first leg on our return journey (DPS-TPE) was by an old 747- 400: the aircraft was pretty rundown, with a bad smell and very narrow seats; the old IFE didn't work properly and FA tried to reboot the system multiple times but my personal screen didn't work properly. Food average. The second leg (TPE-FCO) was a different story: the A350 is a great plane : plenty of space, great IFE and I could stretch my legs and sleep almost the whole flight, wonderful mood lights and smiling FA made this 13 hours journey very pleasant.
AircraftA350-900 / Boeing 747-400
RouteDenpasar to Rome via Taipei
Date FlownAugust 2019

"would recommend China Airlines"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Bangkok via Taipei return. All 4 flights were nothing short of exemplary, operated by an A350, which is much quieter and noticeably reduces jet lag. The crew on all my flights were friendly, professional and very safety conscious. Meal service was prompt and with a smile, and the crew were polite and friendly. I ordered several drinks and requested a toothbrush and an adapter and all were delivered quickly. They passed out hot towels for economy class passengers which is a much-appreciated gesture. During the overnight flight staff often passed through the cabin with water and juice, and kept the toilets clean. My flight back to Melbourne was delayed by 8 hours and we were provided accommodation at the Novotel near Taipei airport and they organised a shuttle bus to take us back to the airport in the morning, I found the ground staff at Taipei airport to be friendly and customer focused. The onboard entertainment system is easy to navigate and had many new releases and TV shows to choose from. The only aspect that could be improved is their food options, I found most of my meals to be lacking flavor, however they did offer an ice cream bar and a bread roll with all meals. Staff offer a selection of juice soft drinks, wine and coffee/Chinese tea with the meal service. I would not hesitate to fly with them again, in fact I found their service to be superior to Cathay Pacific and Malaysia Airlines and would recommend China Airlines without hesitation.
RouteMelbourne to Bangkok via Taipei
Date FlownAugust 2019

"there is good legroom space"

Trip Verified | Taipei to Vancouver. Relatively new A350 with comfortable seats and nice 11" IFE screen with USB and power outlet. The back seat design lacks enough forethought in not making available slots for tablets and mobile phones and a hook for small items to hang. Having said that there is good legroom space. The entertainment choice is still limited. The flight crew service was better than the ICN-TPE leg but they lack the courteousness that other Asian airlines are known for. One example, one flight attendant told a passenger to bring the seat back upright for a meal. She was quite rude and abrupt. For a Chinese her manner would have been viewed as a typical request, but as a flight attendant serving passengers of various nationalities, that would not be acceptable. She looked as if she was one of the more senior member of the flight crew. The food was still below average and the flight attendants were once again rushing through the meal service offering coffee and tea even though passengers had not finished the main meal. Overall, they lack the expected attention to detail and professionalism to compete effectively with other airlines. The excellent hardware, ie. the plane, is let down by the subpar flight crew service.
AircraftA350-900
RouteTaipei to Vancouver
Date FlownJuly 2019

"lacks polish and professionalism"

Trip Verified | Seoul Incheon to Taipei. The flight crew lacks the polish and professionalism of some airlines. The meal service was rushed with coffee and tea being offered even before most could finish the meal and in a rushed manner that if you were not paying attention you would have missed them. The IFE is an old outdated 6.5" touch screen that is due for an update with relatively limited choice of entertainment. The pillows and blankets were not separately packaged raising questions of possible sanitation. The food quality is below average. One thing that is going for China Airlines is their fare which tends to be cheaper than others.
AircraftA330-300