China Airlines

"Never, ever fly China Airlines"

Not Verified | Because we missed our JFK connection our incoming flight was late, so China Airlines suspended our tickets. What is "suspension?" a normal person might ask. Suspension is a special thing China Airlines does. It freezes your ticket so that not even the airline that delayed you can rebook you. Then, China Airlines' office doesn't open till 12 noon. This was sad news at 2am at JFK. When they did open, they did not answer the phone -- we were on hold for 2 hours 13 minutes before some Tool picked up to inform me that, because we failed to present ourselves, China Air was imposing a $150 per ticket fee to release the tickets. After over an hour and the usual escalation, the Tool gave me a phone number and email address to which JetBlue must present evidence that their flight was late so they'd release the tickets graciously without the fee, like any normal airline would any day. So, after 15 hours on nearly continuous phone calls in the airport, we got clearance to rebook, and Jet Blue put us on Cathay Pacific. Returning home, we checked our bags through to Orlando, knowing we'd have to clear customs & recheck them in NY. Now China Airlines explained that they don't think they can get our bags from one terminal to the next within the next 9 hours for our next flight. And the food was ghastly to boot. Never, ever fly China Airlines.
AircraftBoeing 777-ER
RouteNew York to Cebu via Taipei
Date FlownJuly 2023

"never been treated so badly"

Trip Verified | I have never been treated so badly on any other airline I have flown. The stewardesses were terrible and repeatedly lied to me about my seating arrangement. I paid an extra $200 per flight for a seat that showed as having extra legroom and so that I could ensure my family were seated together. I have extremely painful small fiber neuropathy in my feet and legs. When my feet became swollen because of being extremely cramped I requested to be moved one seat up to an empty row of seats by the exit. I was informed by stewardess that I would be required to pay an additional $150. A little later in the flight they moved an early twenties woman into that seat free of charged because she had complained that an older lady had bumped her seat from behind. I questioned the stewardess that denied my request and that was the explanation given to me. A little later the head stewardess told me it was because the ladies seat would not recline. I personally checked her seat on the way off the plane and it functioned and fully reclined. Meanwhile my legs were trapped by a fully reclined seat now occupied by the 20 year old. My feet and legs continued to swell and were extremely painful. I don’t appreciate being repeatedly lied to by their staff. They were cold and uncaring to a disabled elderly person. The seating is intolerable to anyone 6’ or taller. They were completely un compassionate to my situation. I will never fly this airline again.
RouteTaipei to San Francisco
Date FlownJune 2023

"8 hours in a rather cramped economy seat"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | I would rarely give high mark to a flight that was four hours late and involved temporary rerouting to another airport, but China Airlines handled this unexpected weather diversion excellently. 8 hours in a rather cramped economy seat for a flight time of a little over 3:45 minutes is a bit hard on the body. But bad weather can strike at any time, In this case, the captain attempted to land at BKK in a storm and had to abort, After going around he tried from the other direction, but the storm over BKK had hardly moved and so it was a second aborted landing. We were then advised we would have to fly up to Chiang Mai, land there and wait it out while remaining seated. The crew were excellent. Clearly there was no additional food on board (in any case, the late lunch had been more than sufficient) but abundant soft drinks were handed around. An hour for refuelling at Chiang Mai and we were on our way back to BKK, this time with a perfect landing. As we disembarked, no-one was complaining about the extra flight time.
AircraftA330-300
RouteTaipei to Bangkok
Date FlownMay 2023

"Cabin crew was attentive"

(Argentina)

Trip Verified | The first flight from Koror to Taipei was extraordinary. Cabin crew was attentive calling the passengers by their name. Food was very good too. On the second leg to Singapore on the A350, cabin crew was very nice too but food was average. No amenity kit for a four hour flight. Ground crew in Palau had no idea at all how to Check in a connecting flight nor the luggage allowance for business class.
AircraftA321 neo
RouteKoror to Singapore via Taipei
Date FlownMay 2023

"abandoned in the middle of the airport"

Trip Verified | I'm writing this review on behalf of my mom who took the flight with China Airlines in the second week of May 2023. I registered her for wheelchair services because of her back and leg problems which restricted her from walking long distance. I confirmed with the agent on the phone that she would be assisted all the way to the end of arrival. Upon landing Vancouver, she was picked up with other customers on wheelchair services in the cart. However, when finishing her custom declare, she found herself abandoned in the middle of the airport. The cart had left without her!! She had to walk all the way to baggage claim and found herself being denied of help with the luggage again. China Airlines customer reps kept passing her from one to another. Speaking no English, it was challenging for her to get connected to the Wifi at the airport. It was almost an hour after arrival that she could reach out to me so that I could sort out the luggage situation with an airport porter. Don't fly with China Airlines if you need assistance.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Vancouver via Taipei
Date FlownMay 2023

"there was no one to help me"

Trip Verified | Once in the ground in SFO, despite many assurances, there was no one to help me, and without assistance I was unable to make my connecting flight to Seattle. When I asked staff at SFO about this, they said “I’ll talk to my supervisor and did nothing. Just like they did when I touched down at SFO. The staff member helping me upon seeing I was upset, told me that I did it wrong. That he was at the baggage carrousel and that if I’d have gotten help it might have been different. He told me the plane was on time. (It landed on time then sat on the tarmac for ten minutes). Then no one helped me. He was exceedingly rude, and I told him if he couldn’t help me he shouldn’t have kept me waiting 30 minutes to tell me that. He flipped me off after yelling at me.
RouteCebu to San Francisco via Taipei
Date FlownMay 2023

"What kind of airline does that to their passengers?"

Trip Verified | This is the first time my mom has flown with China Airlines, she usually flies with ANA where the service is excellent. But this time due to the last minute booking she had to fly with China Airlines, she flew from San Francisco to Jakarta and had a layover in Taipei. When I checked in, I specifically requested assistance with a wheelchair until her final destination because my mom couldn’t walk for too long. From SF they did provide a wheelchair but when my mom got to Taipei, they had the audacity to tell my mom to walk by herself to her next gate. What kind of airline does that to their passengers? We will never fly with China Airlines anymore or recommended it to anyone.
RouteSan Francisco to Jakarta via Taipei
Date FlownApril 2023

"wouldn’t use this airline anymore"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | When I booked my ticket, the website has only 2 boxes “First name” and “Last name” and I entered my name exactly as that. However, at the checkin counter, the staff said my name was written backwards and did not match my passport. Well of course because the passport is written in my language then it is last name followed by first name, but in English it will be flipped backwards, but it is still correct last name and first name. The airport staff said my ticket is unusable and told me to change. I panicked because it was close to boarding time and the airline website did not work. There’s no way you can edit your info by yourself. Then the staff directed me to the airline hotline which then directed me back to her to edit my name. Why wouldn’t she just change it for me it was wasting my time. I ended up having to pay extra US$50 for the dumb way the airline told passengers to fill in our names. Lost my trust totally this time. I wouldn’t use this airline anymore and recommend no one to use it. You will be better off with other airlines where you won’t have this kind of problem at the airport. Apparently it is a very common problem many people have encountered.
RouteHanoi to Vancouver via Taipei
Date FlownApril 2023

"everything worked out fine"

Trip Verified | Overall a good experience in economy. Online Check-in was easy, the mobile app looks a bit dated but worked as well, boarding passes provided for wallet. Friendly and attentive staff. The special meal I ordered was provided on all flight. Food arlight. Better than many European carriers. Crew walked around plenty of times with water and juice. Decent cabin on B777 with personal IFE, on the A330 older but still functional, good selection of international and recent movies. Seat pitch ok, even for tall people. All flights on time, connection in Taipei without problems and helpful staff available. Not the best flight to blow you away, but everything worked out fine.
AircraftBoeing 777 / A330
RouteFrankfurt to Hanoi via Taipei
Date FlownApril 2023

"It was extremely uncomfortable"

Trip Verified | I flew the business class with China Airlines from Sydney to Taipei on 3 April 2023. When I purchased the ticket in mid February, the seating plan for the business class indicated 4 seats in each row (I believe it was Airbus 350-900). I selected 14D as mv seat. A few days before departure, I received a notification from China Airlines that my seat was reassigned to 3D (no other messages than that). When I logged into the airlines' web, the new seating plan now showed each row had 6 seats. Without suspicion, I selected 4A as my new seat. When I boarded the aircraft on the day of departure, I realised that China Airlines had substituted this long haul flight with an aircraft suitable only for short haul flights. The seat space for the business class is very limited. The seat can only be laid down to about 45 degrees and there was no room for me to put my legs straight. It was extremely uncomfortable and almost impossible for sleeping (and it was an overnight flight). The supposedly complimentary wifi for the business class did not work for me (I suspect the aircraft was not equipped). The whole experience became a nightmare. I believe it is unethical and dishonest for an airline company to charge the full fares of a long haul flight and then substitute the aircraft with a short haul one, without seeking an agreement from the customers or any compensation. I would have been better off to take the economy class, at least saving myself an extra A$3500 (I paid over A$4800 for round trip).
AircraftAirbus 330-300