Air Namibia

(Ghana)

Air Namibia canceled our fight from Johannesburg to Accra on 1/24/2010 but the agents at Johannesburg didn't show sympathy or apology towards passages who were turned away. With a toddler our family had stayed at the airport most of the day to catch the flight home however the agents didn't issue any overnight stay voucher or arrange a transportation for everyone until 10 pm. The next day when we were switched to another carrier our child whom we had purchased a full-fare Air Namibia ticket didn't get a ticket for the switch. I had to march into Air Namibia office and request it. It was way too much for us who will avoid Air Namibia as much as possible.

Air Namibia customer review

CPT-WVB-WDH-FRA Business class. Check-In at CPT was a total chaos. Air Namibia ground handling agents didn't bother to put airline logo destination etc on the screens above the counters - we had to ask if they had a dedicated Business Class check-in-counter and which one it was. Queuing up there didn't save us plenty of time though since they worked almost in slow- motion. Aircraft on Cape Town-Windhoek flight was a B737-200 built in the early 70s but in relatively good condition. Huge old-fashioned business class seats. Service very friendly and attentive - for Air Namibia standards even excellent. Our flight to Windhoek wasn't nonstop but landed in the beautiful desert airport of Walvisbay where they let some passengers get off and others get on the plane for the last remaining 30 minutes of the flight to Windhoek. This stopover lasted no longer than 25 mins. We had left Cape town with half an hour delay but managed to arrive in Windhoek only 15 minutes behind schedule. Lounge in Windhoek is small packed with passengers waiting for the Frankfurt flight. WDH-FRA their last remaining intercontinental route is flown with A340-300 (bought from Lufthansa). Business class is comparable to LH or BA of 15 years ago. Old style cradle seats no lie-flats. IFE in armrest as personal TV but only a small selection of movies. Food edible (dinner had 3 main course options breakfast either hot omelette or cold cuts) wines were delicious. Toilets clean small amenity kit was provided. I had 3-4 hours sleep. Their business class can't compare with major airlines but Air Namibia does the job. Their prices are reasonable.

(Norway)

Frankfurt-Windhoek-Cape Town return. The flights were on time and check-in boarding etc. was professional. The price was reasonable compared to other airlines at time of booking. First impression well maintained A340-300 exterior wise with a slightly run down cabin interior. Old and uncomfortable seats good leg room. A340 only had "old fashioned" television sets above the middle section of the cabin. One projector screen at the front of the cabin section and 2 television sets for the rest of the cabin. One criticism of the IFE is that the main feature starts well in to the flight when most people would like to sleep. The meals were average to poor there were no heated rolls and main course did not taste of anything. Cold breakfast only. Their bar service closed after the duty free service "due to customs regulations" something which sounds like a cover for cost cutting. They could have at least offered drinks for sale. This was though not the worst issue with Air Namibia. I would say their flight attendants have a long way to go if they would like to compare themselves to professional airlines. The flight attendants FRA-WDH were grumpy to the point where I would say downright rude. They did not attend to passenger needs in any ways and seemed to want to get over and done with the job. I was personally accused of credit card fraud when I purchased duty free products on-board as my signature apparently did not correspond. (I understand the problem of fraud on many African flights but she had my passport and a credit card with a picture of me in her hand. What else do Air Namibia need?) The way she expressed this was also very accusing. The crew never smiled once and we just felt we were in the way for them. The other three flights were slightly better but I wouldn´t go as far as to say they have attended a smiling or service course. I would say fly Air Namibia only if you´re actually going to Windhoek and want to fly direct or their offer is really good compared to the alternatives. I will gladly pay more for another airline next time.

Air Namibia customer review

I had booked a return trip from LGW to WHK - about 2 weeks before my scheduled departure from Gatwick I stumbled across information (by chance!) on the internet that Air Namibia had axed all its flights from Gatwick. They never informed me of it at all (later I found out it was because I had booked directly with the airline on its website rather than with a travel agent. People who booked directly with the airline received no information apparently). So I phoned their representatives (who were still active in London). The agent who took my call was very helpful though - she rescheduled my flight without issues with BA via Frankfurt. She had also assured me that I could check my bags straight through from Heathrow to Windhoek. Of course this ended up not being the case. The lady at the BA counter at Heathrow knew of no such cooperation with Air Namibia. She said I had to re-check the bags in at Frankfurt. I didn't mind though. Otherwise my flights were on time and I got to Windhoek without any other hassle. The return journey was flawless - bags checked through all the way to Heathrow from Windhoek via Frankfurt. I would fly them again.

(South Africa)

The flight from Cape Town South Africa to Windhoek Namibia in itself was pleasant. What was shocking was the bad service delivered at Cape Town airport when attempting to buy a ticket. I arrived at the airport to find that the Air Namibia office was closed within were the staff busy sorting things out. There was no sign indicating their hours so after having looked through the window I sat down on a bench outside the office. I must have sat there for about 15 minutes before some rude employee (I think she was the manager) opened the window and looked at me. Seeing as though she opened the window and was looking at me I proceeded to stand in front of her. She asked me very rudely "What? Is there an emergency or something? It is our lunch break and you are bothering me." I was well prepared to sit and wait for who knows how long as there was no sign indicating that they were indeed on a lunch break. I wanted to tell her to stick her ticket but it was the best one at the time. I have never experienced such bad service in my life.

Air Namibia customer review

WDH-FRA with my wife. Big mess to reconfirm the flights in WDH (computer breakdown) incompetent employees not willing to help. Checkin OK and quick very lousy lounge at WDH no priority boarding chaotic "rush" to the aircraft. Aircraft standing there the whole day and no traffic but able to depart 30 mins late. Worst cabin service ever experienced no meal choice available slow and incompetent staff. My wife went to the galley to ask gently for something to drink together with the meal the chief FA came to our seats and scold us "you have to be patient we have other things to do". Were treated like disobedient pupils no need to say after meal there was no more service and entertainment system at my seat was defective. Rude wake-up in the middle of the night 2.5 hours before landing for what they call a breakfast. Incredible and a great pity for the wonderful and friendly country of Namibia next time we fly again SAA despite of having to fly via JNB. We traveled last time in 2006 with Air Namibia and things have turned from good average to lousy.

(Austria)

WDH-CPT. They offer more than european airlines on a 2 hrs Flight. Aperitif Service hot meal coffee tea etc. Very professional staff good information from cabin and flightdeck. Absolutely friendly.

Air Namibia customer review

The nightmare of travelling with Air Namibia for our once-in-a-lifetime trip to Africa really overshadowed our holiday. They changed our return flight details approximately 7 times and our much planned for 10 hour direct flight from Windhoek to London (because I'm 6 months pregnant) turned into a 36 hour ordeal with no customer service to speak of certainly no apologies no alternatives offered not a care in the world from any representative we spoke to. And we certainly weren't the only ones affected. Not only had they dropped all their direct flights from London (which we had been informed of 3 weeks prior to departure) Air Namibia had also conveniently 'forgotten' their annual servicing so an entire week's worth of flights were 'rescheduled' (a kind description) which we first found out half an hour before leaving our house for the airport. Which meant our 10 days in beautiful Namibia were marred by trying to communicate with Air Namibia regarding our return flights. The whole thing was a disaster and when we finally got our BA flight home from Frankfurt the check in staff commented that this was all too usual with Air Namibia who were a well known nightmare to deal with and with whom they had no wish whatsoever to be associated. I heard since that people in the know will travel to Namibia via South Africa so as to avoid Air Namibia and use another airline. That travel tip I endorse!

Air Namibia customer review

Cape Town to Walvis Bay [Namibia] return in business class B737-500. This was flying as it used to be good service hot meal on a 2 hour flight and large comfortable seats. Admittedly the outbound trip was 2 hours delayed and communication was poor but this is Africa and they did their utmost to turn it around when it did arrive. No doubt my holiday spirit affected my reaction to this if you had commitments it would have been a problem. I would use them again and would do the LGW to Namibia route with them. Safe professional and customer focussed.

Air Namibia customer review

LGW-WDH return Business Class. Small busy lounge at Gatwick (multi-airline) much smaller and even busier lounge Windhoek (multi-airline). Seating 2x2x2 with PTV monitors but with which two attendants seemed unfamiliar - so wasted time fiddling and missed the beginning of the set. Food so/so both flights with alcohol ceasing to be served immediately after main food service. Economy passengers repeatedly used Business Class lavatories and attendants were unconcerned that we were waiting in line something I pay an extra amount to avoid! E- mailed Air Namibia upon my return. It took three months to respond despite my repeated reminders. Received seven paragraphs about the horrors of blood alcohol content and unruly drunk passengers. Such a patronising attitude towards experienced worldwide travellers will achieve no awards. I think Air Namibia is just plain mean with every aspect of its service.