Ethiopian Airlines

"an unpleasant and long flight"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Ethiopian Airlines is a disappointing airline. The first flight should not have taken place in the plane we flew in. It was not maintained well. The roof boards were loose. The bathroom was duck taped together. The sink section came out of its socket and was open up. The plane should be taken in for proper maintenance. The food is terrible and I’m one who enjoys plane food. The chicken was rubbery and bland. I recommend bringing your own food. The staff barely offer you something to drink and when the staff were told about the damage they did not attend to it. The equipment on the plane is old and some lucky passengers were given earphones and a blanket, we had to request these items. The second flight was somehow worse. The flight was overbooked. The food was even worse than the first flight, inedible except the bread and cheese. The staff kept the cabin lights on throughout the night so it is impossible to sleep. I requested three times for the cabin lights to be turned off during the dark and I was ignored even though this was possible on the first flight. The seating is uncomfortable and small. This flight ran out of drinkable water. The movies were outdated and it was an unpleasant and long flight. If you travel far I recommend Qatar Airways, it’s more worth the money you pay. I have travelled on many flights with many airlines but I will never fly with Ethiopian Airlines again. I do hope the airline fixes these problems because I do wish the best for them in the future.
RouteJohannesburg to Bangkok via Addis Ababa
Date FlownAugust 2022

"sleeping on the jump seats"

Trip Verified | On my first flight from DXB to Addis, there was a delay due to the weather conditions in Addis. While this delay is beyond Ethiopian Airlines control, unfortunately, there was no prior information given to passengers in Dubai, despite a delay of 6 hours. The more severe issue was, that inflight, when I went to the bathroom at the rear of the aircraft, there were two flight attendants sleeping on the jump seats in the galley.
AircraftBoeing 787 / A350
RouteDubai to Nairobi via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2022

"cabin crew were very friendly"

(Norway)

Trip Verified | We have got a wonderful travel experience. In fact our Scandinavian airline(SAS) flight from Stavanger to Oslo) was cancelled due to pilots strike but luckily we managed to get to Oslo by another carrier and go ahead with Ethiopian Airlines on schedule. All our luggages were safely collected in Addis Ababa and back trip in Oslo. The cabin crew were very friendly and supportive. The airplanes are very clean and modern.
RouteOslo to Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2022

"ruined my very expensive vacation"

Trip Verified | Worst airline ever and I have never had such a horrific travel experience. My flight was delayed 7 hr at the start of my itinerary. I was never updated on the new departure time. I kept calling the global center (7x) and they would not verify the new departure time! My flight eventually left at 4am instead of 9pm but I missed all my connections and the start of my safari vacation. All my vacation plans had to be changed at last minute and this was extremely stressful. Then Ethiopian airlines lost my luggage for 7 days. No one from the airlines would help me. They kept saying they had no idea where the bag was even though I knew it was in Addis! The Ethiopian website is not helpful as it is not ever updated! No one contacted me so I had to spend my safari time following up. Finally after 5 days the airline said they would compensate me $100 for the lost bag…but no one at Ethiopian Global office nor in DC would assist me. I am not able to get the compensation! The airlines said they can not help me and I needed to speak with their offices in South Africa! This has been a nightmare experience ! Especially on a business class ticket. For my safari, I was without clothes for half the vacation. Now I Can not get compensation. Everyone I speak to at Ethiopian airlines is extremely rude. No one will let me speak to a manager, or assist me or say they are sorry. On my way home, I had to fight to sit in the Ethiopian lounge. They said I could not sit in the lounge for more than 3 hr and my layover was longer. When I checked on my luggage in Johannesburg , they told the lounge staff I did not have any bags checked in although I had bag tags to prove I had checked luggage - my bag was missing again. I had not yet left Johannesburg. Ethiopian airlines ruined my very expensive vacation and still won’t let me speak to any management about this trip! I can not get anyone to respond to my compensation!
RouteWashington to Johannesburg via Addis Ababa

"No customer service"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Absolute horror airline to fly with. No customer service, you cannot speak to anyone in person, only by email, and they never helpful. Our luggage was lost on Day 1 of our travels, 26 June, and is still missing 4 weeks. It’s either in Addis Ababa or Frankfurt, they not sure! I bid on business class upgrades, which were declined, which is fine. But as we started the 2nd leg of our flight we get presented with business class tickets that we had not requested, but we now had to pay for.
RouteCape Town to Addis Ababa
Date FlownJune 2022

"unable to say where the bags are"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Had a very good flight to Bangkok and back with friendly hostesses and adequate food. When we landed in Cape Town from Bangkok non of our luggage arrived with us with no one able to say where it is or when it would arrive (25-30 passengers had the same problem on this flight). Had to spend lots of money on locksmiths and toiletries as all ours were in our travel luggage. Ethiopian Airways contact center is very difficult to reach, they keep you on hold for almost an hour then it just hangs up. After eventually making contact with the call center a day later they are unable to say where the bags are or if they even have the bags and that they will only offer compensation if they haven’t been able to locate the bags after 25 days. This means we have to buy new clothes and shoes as most of ours were in our luggage with absolutely no assurance or compensation from the airline. It seems like lost luggage is a regular problem on the airline with very poor communication or restorative measures I wouldn’t recommend using the airline
RouteBangkok to Cape Town via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2022

"lack of friendliness at the check-in"

(Belgium)

Not Verified | I can only complain about the lack of friendliness at the check-in counter. I flew with Ethiopian Airlines 3 times over the past 6 months and that aspect has been a great disappointment time and again, and last time the check-in lady lost one of my boarding tickets. I asked her where the other ticket was. She assured me she'd given me both. I said I was sure she had only given me one. After insisting the problem was on her side she looked down on the floor, picked up the ticket and apologized and then enough smiled for the first time. They are some of my favourite crew on board but my word, at the check-in counter, it is something else...
RouteMombasa to Brussels via Addis Ababa
Date FlownJuly 2022

"everything that can be wrong"

(Swaziland)

Trip Verified | The only good thing about this airline is that it got us from point A to point B without physical damage. You will find everything that can be wrong with a flight here. The stewardesses are more of a hindrance than a help, they look at you and speak badly, that's when they pay attention to you, they have zero vocation to help. I felt like I was sitting on a wooden board. I was sweating because the air conditioners don't work, the cleanliness is questionable, the headphones didn't work. All a headache. Spend a few pesos more but it's not worth the "cheap" prices you pay. They are stingy even for water. it was horrible. Lo único bueno de esta aerolínea es que nos llevó de punto A a punto B sin daños físicos. Todo lo que puede estar mal con un vuelo aquí lo vas a encontrar. Las azafatas son un estorbo más que una ayuda, te miran y hablan mal, eso es cuando te prestan atención, tienen cero vocación de ayuda. Sentí que venía sentada en una tabla de madera. Venía sudando porque los aires no funcionan, la limpieza es cuestionable, los audífonos no funcionaban. Un dolor de cabeza todo. Gástese unos pesos más pero no merece la pena los precios “baratos” que pagas. Son tacaños hasta para el agua. Fue horribleeee
RouteBangkok to Addis Ababa

"Absolute horror trip!"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Absolute horror trip! No communication and no customer support. We flew to Frankfurt and our connecting flight to Hamburg was cancelled. We went on by train but our luggage went missing! No help from the airline and 3 weeks later still no luggage. All we get told is that they are still searching! Then we bid for an upgrade to business class. We got sent an email that we did not the upgrade, but as we step on the plane suddenly they billed us for business class by sending us an email while we are on the plane! How were we supposed to receive this email while we on the plane? When I said I don’t want the upgrade because the email from them said we were not successful in getting the upgrade, they replied that they had given our economy tickets away! And no one will help. Not with the luggage, they don’t even know where it is, nor about the miraculous upgrade. Don’t touch this airline. Their cheaper tickets have turned into the most expensive tickets!
RouteCape Town to Hamburg via Frankfurt
Date FlownJuly 2022

"One of her bags never arrived"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | I needed to book for my mother-in-law urgently to travel with someone from Dubai to Johannesburg. One of her bags never arrived and we lodged a complaint, they promised to come back to us within 7 days and we waited, and until today (July 14, 2022) no response. I tried calling all the phone numbers they provided together with the ones I got from their website, but no answer or the phone number doesn't work. I sent them an email, but no response. If you lose your bag, there is no communication with them after the flight.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER