China Eastern Airlines

"lousy and regrettable experience"

Not Verified | Special Needs for a Wheelchair passenger by China Eastern Airlines is ignored during flights from Vancouver to Shanghai. The in-flight service between Vancouver to Shanghai has substandard meal service and inflight service staff ignore you to provide any drinking water. The shocking encounter is that the Shanghai Airport wheel-chair porter left me abandoned in the end-corner of the terminal because I did did not give him cash. The service support is a very poor, lousy and regrettable experience. I will never ever recommend anyone to fly with China Eastern Airlines again!
RouteVancouver to Shanghai
Date FlownDecember 2019

"unprofessional and liars"

Not Verified | Chicago to Cebu via Shanghai. I had knee replacement 13 weeks prior to this trip so I ordered and paid extra money for bulkhead seats. Upon arrival in China my knee was sore and swollen so I asked for a wheelchair. I was promptly told no, you don't need a wheelchair. On the return flight we did not get the bulkhead seats I paid for. I asked for an upgrade or a refund for the last leg of the flight. I was told the plane is full and that to get a refund I need to call this number. I took pictures on the plane of 12 empty business class seats. I called the number and gave them the confirmation receipt and was I ordered the upgrade too long ago and their is nothing they can do now. They are rude, unprofessional and liars.
AircraftBoeing 777 / A320
RouteChicago to Cebu via Shanghai
Date FlownNovember 2019

"Save yourself money and time"

Not Verified | Shanghai to Bangkok. Save yourself some money and time, don't book with this airline! 1) They rescheduled my flight 3 times (all inconvenient times) 2) they didn't allow route changes when calling to change the flights they cancelled. 3) Their US office has 8-5 workdays so if you work you may not be able to reach them to change the flights they cancelled. 4) They finally cancelled my flight last minute and didn't provide any alternative options. Basically, they are a scam company and will make your life a living hell, stay away and book with a reputable airline.
RouteShanghai to Bangkok
Date FlownNovember 2019

"a decent domestic flight"

Trip Verified | Taiyuan to Shanghai. China Eastern has a dedicated check-in and security screening area at Taiyuan airport for business class customers, which is nice. However, the lounge was very small with no toilet. The aircraft cabin was similar to domestic short-haul equipment in the US, with recliners for business class. Cabin service was excellent. Meal was nicely presented, though I don't find it tasty. Overall, it was a decent domestic flight.
RouteTaiyuan to Shanghai
Date FlownNovember 2019

"Passport validity only until March 2020"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Colombo via Shangai. In Shangai i was issued a boarding pass to Colombo. At the gate I was refused boarding stating that my Passport validity was only until March 2020. I requested that they let me go through & I will get help in Sri Lanka & I am a citizen of the US who will be in CMB only for 2 weeks. They refused to listen or help & used my return air ticket without my knowledge or approval, changed the date on it & put me on the return flight to LAX. Had this happened at LAX I could have got a refund on my air ticket. Now the Airline says the first leg & last leg of my ticket has been used & therefore they cannot refund. Any part of this air ticket was used only because the Agent made a mistake & did not do her job. You can't speak to anyone at Customer service as they are very arrogant & rude.
RouteLos Angeles to Shangai
Date FlownNovember 2019

"I'd travel with them again"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Shanghai. Great flights. The plane was clean. I had a window seat in the far back of the plane. I spite of other comments, this area of the plane is quiet. Yes, it's near a restroom, but it doesn't smell, there was never a line of people, and in this area are only two seats near the rear so, lots of extra space to stretch out and stand around for a bit during the long flight. They provide a blanket and pillow and complimentary earphones. The seat backs have touch screen entertainment with movies, music, and games. I'd travel with them again.
RouteChicago to Shanghai
Date FlownNovember 2019

"They said I needed a visa"

Trip Verified | Kathmandu to Seattle via Kunming / Shanghai. I flew to Kathmandu, Nepal with China Eastern without any problems. When it was time to fly home I was denied access to my return trip home. They said I needed a visa before I can leave Nepal since my layovers in China would put me over 2hrs in China. Instead I had to rebook a one way flight home some other way. I will never fly with this airline again.
RouteKathmandu to Seattle via Kunming / Shanghai

"very good experience"

(China)

Trip Verified | Chengdu to Nanjing, very good experience. During the flight. I got sleepy and I cannot find my glasses. Cabin crew help me for finding. The cabin crew never give up when I all ready dropped. At last they find it. I quite appreciated about this. Thanks a lot for their help.
AircraftA321-200
RouteChengdu to Nanjing
Date FlownNovember 2019

"airline is 100% frustrating"

Not Verified | San Francisco to Shanghai. Every aspect of my experience with this airline is 100% frustrating. I completely regret everything about this flight. Even before my flight I could see that it was a mistake to choose this horrible airline. Booking has been difficult, the website is broken. Trying to fix my ticket requires a call to customer service - which means losing hours out of your life on hold. Once I finally got through to a customer service representative, they were useless to the point of idiocy. Thanks to their broken website and miserable CSR's, I was unable to select my own seat, resulting in my entire family being spread around the aircraft, my children sitting alone in center seats between two strangers. My family checked four bags. One of which was lost and another was broken. I haven't filled out a claim form yet for the lost bag, but I already know that the customer service team is staffed by subhuman, uncaring scumbags. Judging from other people's comments, I will never see my luggage again. This lost bag has had a pretty bad effect on my vacation. My children are crying. Thank you for nothing, China Eastern Airlines, you pile of garbage.
RouteSan Francisco to Shanghai

"very pleasantly surprised"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Male via Shanghai. I was a bit skeptical of flying China Eastern but I will have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. The crews on all four flights where great. While their English wasn't top notch it was better than my Chinese so have to give them points for that. Service was decent if a bit more subtle than say CX or SG. Food was on par with US international long haul in business, but did notice the crew tended to not give the non-Chinese passengers the Chinese snack option. After the second flight I realized this and ordered the Wonton Soup as my snack on the remaining two. The seats where fine, again on par with standard long haul business even if the cabin was a bit warm. Couldn't figure out how to get the WiFi to work and yes we did register prior to boarding with their app. We did the 144-hour transit Visa and spent a couple days in Shanghai before heading to Male. Was laid out in easy to follow signage. On the return we did a longer layover and the Lounge in the new terminal was good. It did tend to get crowded in waves over the course of our 6 hours there. My only gripe was none of the showers where operational because “new and water no good yet”. But all in all, have to say it was certainly worth the money and would fly them again.
AircraftBoeing 777 / A330