Swiss Intl Air Lines

"terrible and undeserved experience"

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Rome via Zurich. How LX handled flight cancellation is unacceptable. Once the flight was cancelled, nobody seemed to care what happens to the passangers. We were left to figure things out on our own, standing in longest lines waiting for assistance. When my ticket was re-booked, it was re-booked with errors so that the other airline was not able to locate us in the system. I just kept running forth and back trying to figure out what are we supposed to do next. Nobody provided any food or drinks vouchers for passengers stranded for 7+ hours. We were re-booked without being asked about our preferred alternative arrangements. We ended up flying Alitalia which we would never have chosen to begin with, with their poorest chouce of drinks and no food which would be much appreciated after 6 wasted hours at Schiphol airport. One terrible and undeserved experience by Swiss.
RouteZurich to Rome

"narrow uncomfortable seats"

Verified Review | Montreal to Zurich. Flight left on time from Montreal. The business class section is very large being a 2-2-2 configuration in two cabins. There are a few single seats so 1-2-2 in some rows. I had seat 10A, which was a single seat with two large storage compartments on each side. The seat was very narrow and when in the lie flat setting my feet hardly fit making for a very uncomfortable sleep (but I did have lots of useless storage space!). I think before an airline installs such seats the corporate executives need to sleep in them for a few nights. Service was very limited, as the flight seemed understaffed. I received my pre-flight drink, but nothing more was offered until dinner. There was no pre-dinner bar service or appetizer. Dinner, although the food was good it was bear bones, an basic entre, small salad and bread. Although I was served one glass of wine, it took a few tries to get a refill (one only). A small slice of cake was the sole dessert (they did come by and offered one small Swiss chocolate). Breakfast was basic, yogurt and bread. Overall the business class section is cramped with, in my opinion, narrow uncomfortable seats. Meal service was very basic. I know that some airlines are trying to limit costs but Swiss need to provide some service to justify the extra cost of the business cabin. Less airline accountants and more service and staff.
AircraftA330-300
RouteMontreal to Zurich
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"such a negative experience"

Verified Review | This might go down as one of the worst airline experiences ever with respect to the horrendous attitude of a couple of the cabin crew, the quality of the seat, the quality of the entertainment system and the internal climate (i.e. incredibly hot) in the cabin. I couldn't rate an airline any worse. I used to fly Swiss all the time for work and it was always fine. That was a few years ago. Fast forward to today and you have a premier name flying a plane with some crew members that are actually worse than what I have experienced on Spirit Airlines. That is saying a lot for an airline that doesn't put itself out as a low cost or budget airline like Swiss. The only thing going for this travel experience was the punctuality. That is a plus. Everything else was an F minus or zero stars. And one flight crew member was 100% fantastic. The rest made this the most miserable flight ever. Other than punctuality and one nice member of the flight crew there were so many negatives (including members of the remaining flight crew) everything was negative. I hate to write such a harsh review but that is how this flight was. Bordered on ludicrous. We were 7 friends traveling together sitting in various parts of the aircraft. The judgment was unanimous with respect to it being such a negative experience.
RouteBoston to Zurich

"very disappointed customer"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | A very disappointed customer regarding how Swiss Intl Air Lines reacts to my complaint. I bought return ticket Kuala Lumpur to Amsterdam from Swiss' website. In the flight they're using Singapore Airlines, first transit in Singapore and Swiss from SIN. The itinerary mentioned wrong airport (KL Subang) so I missed my flight. I tried to call the office but very difficult to get through, when I got through the operator insists I checked in from KUL. Rather than give me compensation, she asked me to buy another ticket with full price. Disappointed, I flew with other airlines. Then I logged a complaint and they reply me in the next 10 days, stated that my return flight ticket is cancelled because of No Show. I explained to them many times I was late and the "No Show" is because they mentioned wrong airport in the itinerary. It's unfair to cancel my return ticket as well. Unfortunately, Swiss Intl Air Lines doesn't admit their mistake and insists during booking and check-in they mentioned the airport code (KUL). I receive no refund, compensation or even an apology. I ended buy new return ticket as well. As a foreigner living in Kuala Lumpur and traveler, it's better to double check airport code and airport name. In my case, I depending solely on the itinerary and unfortunately, was too busy to double check. I trusted the itinerary. As an airline, it's Swiss Intl Air Lines duty to provide correct details in their itinerary. Even during website booking and check-in, mentioning the name of the airport will be very helpful to traveler. It gives traveler hassle-free experience, not everyone aware of airport code. Poor customer service either, if they make a mistake, they should admit it and not pushing the blame to customer. I never encounter this problem with other airlines, even budget airlines. If there's an error in the itinerary, then my case shouldn't be counted as a "No Show". Not every case can be solved with a rule book.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Amsterdam via Singapore

"Good service on board"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Athens to Zurich, A321 On time. Good service on board they didn’t forget that I ask a special meal, and the service as good. Food as normal, not extraordinary but normal for a business Class can be better. Plane clean and the flight perfect. Onboard entertainment was working. Included the Swiss chocolates of course. Perfect information on the screen for connection flights, with the doors of the connecting flights etc etc, there technology is working.
RouteAthens to Zurich
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"service by the book without a smile"

Verified Review | I fly several times a year with Swiss and they are fairly consistent: great aircraft, on time, unfriendly crew. I always make a point with this airline to greet each crew member, and see how many respond - nearly 100% this time but sometimes I was the one who initiated. Most convenient boarding gate in Geneva, short 30 minute hop to Zurich where they gave us a bottle of water and the signature chocolate just to remind you that you're not on easyJet (which is an effective marketing strategy). Smooth short transfer and boarding for another short 45 minute hop to Venice. Pretty bumpy for the whole flight which went straight over the Alps in stormy weather. Crew still managed to work quickly and serve everyone a drink - tea, coffee, wine, beer, soft drinks - which was impressive. No reassurance from the pilot about the turbulence though, and the cabin attendant only spoke German and English. When your selling point is that you're the national airline and you connect Geneva-based passengers through Zurich, it's inexcusable that you can't perform trolley service in French - all Swiss train conductors speak four languages and the competition - easyJet Switzerland - flies to Venice directly with French-speaking crew. (Ideally Italian would be offered as it's also a national language and this flight was to Italy - the pilot on the way back did make an Italian announcement but he was the only one. LH subsidiary Air Dolimiti attendants all speak EN DE FR IT, so this is possible). Delay in Venice waiting for steps - but this was well communicated. On the way back, we flew on their fancy new CS100 aircraft with Ferrari-esque interiors. That's all well and good but you need to turn on the air conditioning before passengers board (a regular issue with Swiss). A cabin attendant just stood next to my co-passenger and watched her struggle to put her bag in the overhead locker even after she was asked (in Swiss German) if she thought the duty free bag could go up there. (She responded with a "yes" and a look that said "of course you can put your luggage in a the luggage bin".) The CS100 has massive luggage bins which is great, but quite a few people hit their heads on them when disembarking - a little warning from the crew would be nice. In summary, service by the book without a smile in reliable clean, new aircraft. General lack of empathy and customer-centred service: don't expect anyone to help you if you have any problems.
AircraftA320 / CS100
RouteGeneva to Venice via Zurich
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"staff did not listen to me"

Verified Review | I was booked from Warsaw to New Delhi via Zurich on 19th August. The original flight was at 9.40am and I reached the airport at 8.15am. At the time I was told the flight is overbooked so they are issuing my boarding pass wihout the seat no even though I arrived 90 minutes before departure. Then I went to the gate to get my seat confirmed and they told me that my flight has been 're booked without even asking me and my connecting flight from Zurich to New Delhi I will not be able to make it. I pleaded with them as I had to reach India and catch a flight early morning to Bhopal as I had to attend a very important meeting. The staff did not listen to me and I asked them not to cancel my Zurich to New Delhi booking as I will book another flight to Zurich to catch it but they just did not comply as I had to reach there very urgently. They just gave me 70 ZL to last for 9hours. Now after a lot of debate when I was left with no other option i was asked to collect my checked in luggage from belt 5A. I was standing in front of belt 5a waiting for my luggage for nearly 3hours to collect it and re check in. Finally I was able to pass time stranded on the airport with the 15USD given by Swiss as compensation which was of great help, and went to the check in counter of Qatar. My transit time in Doha, Qatar was 2 hours in order to catch the next flight to New Delhi. The Qatar flight got delayed for some technical reason and then I missed my connecting flight to New Delhi adding another torrential 18 hours at Doha. There were three passengers including me who were booked to New Delhi via Zurich from Warsaw. Now they are offering me a voucher of 13000INR which can be used on Swiss Air as a compensation without even feeling sorry or having the courtesy to call me or write to me. This they offered after 3 days when I got back and wrote to them. I was suppose to arrive in New Delhi on Saturday night but the flight landed on Monday. It was a 32 hour delay. I called Swiss from Doha asking them to rebook me to India on an earlier flight but they refused saying all other flights were booked. I then booked myself at my own cost on Indigo flight which was after 12hours as I had to get back in time. This is unprofessional behaviour from Swiss.
RouteWarsaw to New Delhi via Zurich
Date FlownAugust 2017

"exceptionally friendly and attentive"

(Oman)

Verified Review | Muscat to Munich via Zurich. Check-in swift in Muscat, but the passport and security checks took more than an hour. Plane left with a slight delay but arrived on time in Zurich. On board experience was not bad for an 8hr night flight in a full economy cabin. Seats were reasonably comfortable, leg space – well – rather economic. IFE offered a large movie selection, including some very recent ones. A hot breakfast was served before landing. Really remarkable on this flight was the cabin crew who were exceptionally friendly and attentive. They managed to address many passengers by name (in economy) and gave us the feeling to be really welcome on board. ZRH to MUC was an uneventful 30-min hop.
RouteMuscat to Munich via Zurich
Date FlownJune 2017

"share the great experience"

Verified Review | Moscow to Geneva. I wanted to share the great experience I had on my flight and how grateful I am to the cabin crew flying that day. They were extremely friendly and went an extra mile to support my girls and myself during this flight. I am a nervous flyer and spending 3+ hours on the plane takes a lot out of me. When I came on board I said to 2 cabin crew that I am a bit scared and one of them gave me a hug and reassured that everything will be ok. Another staff spoke to me and told some stories about other people being scared and how they overcome their fear. They told me that they'll support me through and if I need anything they'll help. During the flight they came several times (especially during the turbulence) to reassure me that everything is ok and to explain things. They brought a few toys for my kids to play with, they offered a few drinks etc. Amazingly other cabin crews knew that I am worried on the plane and if they passed by they would ask if we are ok. I am so grateful to these people! I would strongly recommend Swiss Air just for its service.
RouteMoscow to Geneva

"not particularly friendly"

Verified Review | Vienna to Newark via Zurich. Vienna to Zurich on an A320 was late, but otherwise uneventful. Snack service was strawberry ice cream and a tiny chocolate bar, so bring something of your own if you're not a sweet-tooth. Zurich to Newark was on an A330. Entertainment system worked fine, but there wasn't much worth watching. Meal, drink, and duty-free service were slow. Meal was fine, some kind of chicken, but there was no choice by the time they got to my row. After the meal service, getting an extra drink or snack was like pulling teeth. Crew not particularly friendly, rather robotic, and treated passengers as an inconvenience.
AircraftA320 / A330