Sunwing Airlines

"not been helpful whatsoever"

Not Verified | My boyfriend and I were booked to go on an all-inclusive to Puerto Plata. The flight was originally scheduled to leave at 4.35pm and land at 8.40. The flight was initially delayed 3 hours to take off at 7.10pm. It is 7.15pm and we still have not taken off from YYZ. The wait time is unacceptable for a 4 hour flight. Secondly, the few employees that we have seen have given us nothing but attitude and have not been helpful whatsoever. Prior to check-in, I had requested assistance with the check-in machine and the two employees proceeded to spend another 5 minutes talking about her personal issues with her boyfriend. I had clearly indicated that I needed assistance. We have asked multiple employees what happened to the plane and none of them have given us answers except for the generic "it has been delayed". Overall, this was one of the worst airplane experiences. I have flown multiple times with Air Canada, EVA air, West Jet, and others, and none of them have experienced this abysmal level of service. I had hoped to have a great travel experience with my boyfriend but this is a terrible start. Do not book with Sunwing unless you have to. Here's to hoping everyone else has a better experience with this airline.
RouteToronto to Puerto Plata
Date FlownJuly 2018

"never book with Sunwing again"

Trip Verified | My sister and I booked a 4 day package from Montreal to Cancun which includes flight/all inclusive hotel with transport from and to the hotel. Due to an emergency, I had to fly a day later. I called Sunwing to ask if I can move my date by one day, they said no which I accepted; after all, it was unexpected. I bought a separate flight to cancun the day after. I asked if I could get a ride from the airport to the hotel the next day, again, I was told no which I thought was unreasonable. The shuttle goes to the airport every day anyway, they could have let me get the transportation since I didn't use it the day before. So I ended up paying $47 for a taxi to the hotel. The next day I went to the sunwing representative at the resort to confirm my shuttle back to the airport on my date of departure. Freddy reassured me that they had my booking and that I was good to go. The day of the check out, to my surprise, the shuttle had my sister's name but not mine! He refused to take me to the airport even though I had confirmed it, I paid for it, he didn't want to hear anything. After I made a huge scene and made it clear that I had to get on the shuttle or I'd miss my flight, the driver let me on but only after he took down all of my details because 'he would get in trouble' To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. This was a very expensive holiday, I should have bought the flights and hotel on my own instead of going through Sunwing. My flight to Cancun with Interjet was 10 times better than my return flight with Sunwing (and cheaper might I add). When I called sunwing about the change in my outbound flight, they said they could book me a flight for $385 when I checked online, I booked interjet for $250! I will never book a holiday with Sunwing ever again!!
RouteMontreal to Cancun
Date FlownMay 2018

"flight staff were amazing"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Varadero. The flight staff were amazing. I cant say enough about the way they handled the ignorant and disrespectful people that were on the flight back. They were mostly the same people if not all the same on the way back as on the way there but the way back they were rude, ignorant and just plain disrespectful. The staff handled everything exceptionally well. The Varadero airport experience for me was horrible. I was pulled aside and a security woman went through my suitcase. She didn't put everything back in it once she was done. I had to actually ask her to put all of my belongings back! Then once I get the ok to go and all was ok with my suitcase, we get to Vancouver and my suitcase was garbage. The zippers were split, the wheels were broken and gifts that were purchased were missing. There were a few others that also had their personal belongings missing. I have never had an issue like this with any other trip we have ever been on.
RouteVancouver to Varadero
Date FlownJune 2018

"You truly get what you pay for"

Trip Verified | Worst flight! This was my first time flying with Sunwing from Toronto to Vancouver and back. Both times we had about two hour delays. On my flight back to Toronto, we were informed that the flight was delayed because we were waiting on the crew members. The flight was delayed for two hours because the crew members were late! Unbelievable! Never flying with them again. I do not recommend Sunwing. Pay a little more and get a better flight. You truly get what you pay for.
Date FlownJune 2018

"not recommend this airline"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Toronto. Very bad service and not-polite customer service representatives. The flight is always delayed. It’s my third flight with this airline and it’s already been delayed by over an hour. I would not recommend this airline and would not use it again.
Date FlownJune 2018

"Not happy with the service"

Trip Verified | Paid additional $60 for 2 adults and a child so we can sit together and in a row closest to door. As expected there's at least a 2 hour delay for this flight we are sitting on right now. Wasn't going to write a review about the delays because for the price we paid (compared to other airlines), the delay is fine, understandable. Reason is the delayed arrival of a plane from its flight from Montego Bay. However we are not pleased with the lady crew who are supposed to be helping us find and load our 2 carry on baggages. She commented we were supposed to have only one carry on. There's 3 of us! We paid for row 5 but ended up boarding very late (according to their sequence) and ended up having no spots for our bags. She asked us to find space all the way at the back! We are so tired from waiting and I believe we should be helped. Not happy with the service! There are lots of ways these cabin crew can simply do to help us board and get us going. Could have used other airlines who are better with their customers!
RouteToronto to Vancouver
Date FlownJune 2018

"very likely 2-hour delay"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Toronto. Great price, but you must accept a very likely 2-hour delay. Probably one hour sitting in the un-ventilated cabin waiting for delayed passengers. From Vancouver to Toronto I waited 2 hours. They announce no delay until the very last minute, so you will not have a chance to wait out in a comfortable place like a garden near airport or home. From Toronto to Vancouver - again no advance announcement of the delay. So you come and wait in the airport where they announce one hour delay of serving the airplane. Then we boarded and waited one additional 30 minutes for the delayed passengers who got stuck with immigration control from their previous connected flight. After that it turned out that airplane engine will not stat without a machine that blows hot air into it and the machine is malfunctioning. Add another 30 minute for them to get another machine. So total 2-hour delay of which one hour in a sweat bath. On a good side: flight attendants are nice. Price is great: Vancouver to Toronto return flight 380 total after tax.
Date FlownJune 2018

"not flying Sunwing again"

Trip Verified | Halifax to Cayo Coco. The staff at the counter seated me, my 12-y.o. son and my husband all over the plane, claiming they do not have 3 seats in the same row. They then mentioned they have 3 Premium Economy in the same row but i have to pay. I was forced to pay $90 so that we could sit all together. Would you seat your child with strangers while going on vacation? Not a bad way to make extra money by the airline? On the way back we had a stewardess being very rude to us. We had a night flight and she kept pushing and waking people up while squeezing through the aisles. Definitely not flying with Sunwing ever again.
RouteHalifax to Cayo Coco
Date FlownMay 2018

"customer service beyond pathetic"

Trip Verified | Booked an All Inclusive to Cayo Coco. Flight returning home was supposed to leave at 9:30am. When we arrived at the resort, the following morning we overheard someone complaining their Sunwing flight had been changed so we checked with the rep and our flight had been changed to 9:30 pm. We received NO communication from Sunwing regarding this change. The day we were to leave we confirmed the flight time with the rep in the morning - at that time there were no further changes. We arrived in the hotel lobby to meet the bus only to find out the flight had been delayed again to 11:00 pm. Once at the airport it was delayed a further 2 hours. The Sunwing check in staff had no information and there was no rep available to speak to. It was bad enough they delayed our flight home more than 12 hours but the fact that we were never notified illustrates their customer service is beyond pathetic.
RouteCayo Coco to Toronto
Date FlownMay 2018

"changed flights, delayed flights"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Cancun. We paid money based on a flight we liked and both times they changed it on us and they tell you there’s nothing you can do about it. We paid extra money to leave on a Monday since we were gaining a day. If we left on the Tuesday we would have saved approximately $500. When we booked our trip our flight was initially supposed to depart Mexico at 10pm. Because of the late arrival home we booked the Tuesday off work. A few days before leaving on our trip the departure time was changed to 8pm. A day before we were supposed to leave, someone at the resort that recognized us from the plane advised us that the flight had been changed to 10:20am. Sunwing never contacted us to advise us of the change. I then went to the rep at the resort to confirm this information and to let her know how upset we were about the fact that we were being robbed of an entire day. She was not sympathetic at all and then turned around and told me how disappointed she was that our group did not book any excursions. I walked out right after because it was a conversation going nowhere. We were a group of 77 people attending a wedding. Some people were given the wrong pick up time and even missed the bus ride to the airport. When we pay and make a booking we are bound to that contact. Sunwing has constantly changed flights, delayed flights and has never given us any compensation. We had to purchase breakfast and lunch for the day. Our family member could no longer pick us up because they were still at work when we landed. Because of this we had to pay for transportation home. Not only did we pay extra money to choose this package. We ended up having to spend more money because of this change that Sunwing caused. Due to all this as well, my husband and I lost a day of work. I highly recommend you avoid booking with Sunwing. They never keep their end of the commitment and not one customer service rep cares. The total trip cost us $3500 and we could have paid $3000 if we left on the Tuesday to get the same vacation. I understand the flights are subject to change but a full day at the last minute is completely unacceptable. 1,2 or even 3 hours is okay but a whole day is robbery!!! This also happened to a group of 28 of us 3 months ago when we went to Los Cabos. They changed our flight to 5 hours earlier. Seems like they sell these packages with sweet flight times to entice people to buy and then change them at the last minute since there is nothing you can do. Classic bait and switch.
RouteToronto to Cancun