Sunwing Airlines

Review by (Canada) 13th June 2015

Our non-stop return flight from Jamaica to Toronto was changed mid vacation to include a "stopover" in Punta Cana. On boarding we were told we would be dropping off passengers to Punta Cana before heading to Toronto, adding an additional 1.5 hrs to our flight, including an additional takeoff and landing. In fact we were late leaving due the luggage needing to be re-balanced. On arrival in Punta Cana, approx. 20 passengers got off. Apparently they had been diverted from Toronto to Jamaica to spend the night before continuing to their destination of Punta Cana the following morning, due to their flight not being full enough? When the passengers had left the plane we were further delayed by more rebalancing of luggage and refuelling. Re-fuelling, and rebalancing completed, imagine our shock with yet a further delay as Sunwing made some additional cash by loading some fresh fruits and vegetable cargo onto to our plane! Then some additional unloading as they backed some of the cargo off of the plane as they apparently loaded too much. All said and done we sat on the runway for two hours, with a plane full of passengers and young children. We were not permitted to leave the plane, it was very warm and crowded. We were able to use the washrooms, but the line-ups were long and the facilities very messy due to the overuse. No food or beverages were provided during this time and many of the children were cranky, hot and tired resulting in passenger/parent altercations breaking out all over the plane. It was very quickly becoming a very hostile environment. Additionally the inflight entertainment system had stopped functioning mid flight so all passengers could do during the two hour torture session was stare at the clock ticking off a lengthy delay and stare out the window at a very inept airport crew dropping luggage onto the Tarmac. The flight crew lacked a single drop of empathy at passengers comments, in fact when I asked what they were going to do for us to compensate us for our time and discomfort the response I received was that "they would get us to our destination safely". So in the end when we finally took off and reached our destination of Toronto, our 4 hr direct flight turned into over 8 hrs, with a 3 hr pre-flight arrival at the airport making our journey over 11 hrs. We were provided with a snack and a glass of wine, and a sandwich. Disgusting, negligent, irresponsible, unacceptable. I will walk, or crawl on a vacation before flying Sunwing airlines ever again.
RouteJamaica to Toronto

Review by (Canada) 20th May 2015

WG 511 May 9. WG 512 May 16-17. Elite must mean something different to Sunwing. $50 each way to upgrade to a wider seat with more leg room and would not stay upright for take off and landing. The stewardesses must have known this as they didn't even ask me to return to the upright position. The inflight "champagne" service is actually a plastic cup of crappy sparkling wine. $3 bottles of water but shortly after that free juice or cups of water with the breakfast sandwich. Fine it's just the flight not the whole vacation.

Review by (Canada) 13th May 2015

On April 26 checked in for a flight from Toronto to Puerto Plata. The check in agent was not friendly and very direct. She stated that my mother could not check in with us however did not indicate why. I informed her we were all on the same booking and that my mother did not speak fluent English. Our seats were selected for us without asking us where we would like to sit (fwd mid aft). When I booked the flight I was informed that my 2 year old daughter would receive a child's meal and a kids backpack with activities. I was informed on the outbound flight that there were no child's meals for my daughter and that her only option was the cheese pizza that is offered to all passengers. My daughter at no time was offered the Kids backpack. On May 3 Puerto Plata to Toronto the check in process was a mess there was no order and it took forever to check in. As inbound special meals were being offered in flight I enquired about my daughters child's meal I was informed there was no child's meals and only the cheese pizzaĆ¢- again! I asked the flight attendant if my daughter could have her meal as they had now commenced serving the food. The flight attendant asked the manager came back and stated as per the manager my daughter would have to wait and that she did not wish to skip rows. I informed the flight attendant that those passengers who had ordered special meals ie: vegetarian meal had already received their meals. She stated she was following direction from the manager. Landing into Toronto my daughter was struggling and was crying and screaming. I was holding my daughter to soothe her when the in-flight manager abruptly informed me that my daughter had to be in her seat seatbelt fastened. I informed the manager that I was attempting to calm my daughter down and was trying my best when she indicated that my daughter would have to be in her seat and that if she did not take her seat that she would have to inform the Captain that the cabin was not secure and that we would not be able to land. I would not suggest Sunwing to a family/friend. This airline lacks in professionalism and customer service.

Review by (Canada) 10th May 2015

We travelled SunWing for the first time on April 27th to Cuba. We decided to upgrade to the 'Elite' service as it was our honeymoon. We were completely disappointed by Sunwing and the staff at Pearson. Started off with the 'priority' baggage handling. Told that they could check our bags starting at 12.45 so we got in line at that time. Got to the counter at 12.50 but was told they were still checking late bags from the previous flight and asked to stand to the side of the line until those were done. As we stood there waiting they started letting people from our flight on. We approached the baggage lady and were told we had to go back and stand in line again (which was now a huge line up). A few hours later we found ourselves waiting for the 'priority' boarding service. They called this so we went to the line and found about 60 people ahead of us. We assumed they were all flying elite but 30 seconds after the announcement for priority boarding they started boarding everyone else. The wife and I went to the desk and asked if we were still getting boarded first. The woman working at the desk said we were and said to give our ticket to the woman checking boarding passes who just stood there and intentionally ignored us while continuing to check other peoples passes. This went on for about 5 or 6 passengers until I asked her if she was going to take our boarding passes which I slid across the desk when her partner asked us to. I picked up the boarding passes and held them directly in her face as I guess she was expecting me to do. Once landed in Cuba our 'Elite' seats were in the middle of the plane (which they off loaded from both front and back) so we ended up being last off the plane. After clearing customs from the back of the line we found our bags just sitting alone in the airport. Landing back in Canada our bags were not brought off first as they were supposed to. The only bright notes was from the Cuban Airport staff. They actually did allow us priority boarding from Cuba. We will likely not ever fly Sunwing again and for sure not waste money on their 'Elite' service.

Review by (Canada) 5th May 2015

My husband and I travelled with Sunwing airlines on April 18 2015 to Punta Cana. We upgraded to elite hoping to receive better seating and services than Sunwing promised us but of course we were greatly disappointed with all the above. The airline attendants were very rude and abrupt seats still contain ashtrays and the movie's sound system was all static. We will do everything in our power not to patronize with Sunwing again.

Review by (Canada) 5th May 2015

My husband and I travelled Sunwing through Signature Vacations to Costa Rica. We paid extra for Elite Plus and were given row 15 which we were told had extra leg room. It did have extra leg room. It did not however have the ability for the seats to recline. Almost a 6 hour flight with no movement for the seat was very difficult. I recommend Row 16 if paying for Elite Plus as row 16 has the extra leg room and the seat movement. I believe row 14 does not have reclining seats as well but that would need to be confirmed. We left the gate 50 minutes late but I knew this was possible and brought my own snacks and drinks on board as well as my tablet with books and movies so I was able to entertain myself for the trip. The on-board movies were played from drop down units not in seat. The weight limits were difficult especially for the carry on item. The airline did check the weights for some people who looked like they were carrying too much. I do believe that I would try to fly using another airline first and I guess the size of the price difference would make the decision for me.

Review by (Canada) 4th May 2015

10 day package deal from Vancouver to Maya Riveria. This is the worst airline we've travelled - we are seasoned travelers. Purchased Elite Plus both ways. Incoming trip - advised our carry-ons were overweight. They were only allow 5kg? That's the weight of the carry-on empty practically. No special quirks for the Elite extra fees except the leg room. It's a cattle train. No personal entertainment. In fact the small little screen which pops down halfway through your trip only has static for the sound. They don't care. They keep in playing anyway with no one watching. This happened on both in and on going. When you reach Cancun be prepared to unboard then stand on tarmac waiting for them to load you in a bus to the terminal. In the heat. Be prepared to be packed in like pigs going to the slaughter with no air except exhaust fumes. Expect the same for the return trip. We were one hr late on our return trip getting us into Vancouver at 1 am. The plane was freezing on the return. The only solution was buying a $15 disposable blanket! When I suggested we paid for elite the steward said no blanket but how about a big glass of their cheap swill wine. Only way I'd load up in one of these cattle runs is if we were to be evacuated for a hurricane.

Review by (Canada) 1st May 2015

All in all had a great trip to Punta Cana. Travelled from Newfoundland via Gander/Deer Lake. Sunwing almost had the deal sealed as a repeat customer. Check in from Deer Lake was terrific. Staff were excellent. Flight down and crew were also great. The Sunwing check in experience to come home left us feeling robbed and disgruntled. At some point Sunwing needs to incorporate 'Discretion' in to their operations. At the end of the experience getting off the plane back home I was left with the 'lasting' feeling that everything was a mere money grab for Sunwing when I had supposedly already paid for a 'Premium Options' package when I purchased my package. They are the masters at smoke and mirrors when I compare Sunwing to other tour operators I have used to travel to the Dominican Republic from Atlantic Canada in the past. Neither my wife nor I will rely on Sunwing to do that again if it is within our power to determine so. Ironically I don't really think that Sunwing even cares.

Review by (Canada) 30th April 2015

My husband and I returned from Las Vegas on flight #054 arriving in to Toronto at 1.58 am on April 27/15. We purchased Elite Plus so that our seat was larger and the luggage restrictions were more forgiving. The service by the flight attendants on this flight started out ok. We received a hot hand wipe and a drink of pop with our sandwich. That was the end of the service. We were never offered any further beverages of any kind particularly water for the duration of the flight. No chocolates at the end either. the water part is the issue. yes we could have buzzed for water but the beverage service was only offered the one time. We were never offered any wine or beer either. Was it the end of the day and everyone was tired and had run out of supplies? Not impressed.

Review by (Canada) 28th April 2015

I was travelling from Toronto to Punta Cana for 1 week for vacation the flight down to Punta Cana was great it left on time no problems at the airport and good service. But on the way back our flight was originally supposed to take off at 11.25 am we went down to the lobby for 7.30 am for our transfer to the airport we waited for about half an hour then we received a phone call saying that our flight had been delayed a couple of hours. We waited again then we were informed that it had been delayed again for another couple of hours. We again waited and then a Sunwing representative told us that the flight had been delayed until the next day - 4.00 am the next day. They then transferred us to a different resort where it took about 3 hours to get our rooms. Then later that day we had found out that it is being delayed again for a 5.15 am flight. I have flown with Sunwing once before and there was no issue but this was very annoying having my flight home be delayed 4 times.