Sunwing Airlines

Review by (Canada)

I was nervous to board this flight because of all these reviews, but it was suprisingly good. No delays, but just a gate change by 2 gates. The food was, okay to say the least. They brought out beverages too (Coke, Diet Coke, ginger ale, Sprite, tonic water, water) and they were pretty good. I think they'll let you have the whole can if you ask them. Very nice interactive staff, they weren't rude at all. The movie audio was too loud. I know that the plane can be noisy, but it doesn't need to be that loud. It was pretty good. In fact, our flight was shorter than expected. It was supposed to be 5hr 5min, but it was 4hr 30min. I guess it just depends on what crew you have.
RouteToronto to Aruba

Review by (Canada)

Terrible airline. Canadians are sometimes stuck using them because of the limited flights to Cuba. They left us in Cuba on our vacation because the plane took off early due to a time change which they knew was happening but failed to inform us about, even though they had our email address.
RouteCanada to Cuba

Review by (Canada)

Our flight leaving Toronto was originally scheduled to depart at 8.15 am on August 1st, 2015. Upon arrival at the airport at 5.5 am we were told that the flight was delayed 4 hours. We were handed a meal voucher worth $15 each. By the time we took off, we were delayed 5 hours. To make matters worse, our return flight on August 8th, 2015 was delayed 5 hours. Instead of arriving in Toronto at 6.15 pm, we actually touched down after midnight. No reason was provided for the delays and to make matters worse, Sunwing did not provide us with meal vouchers in Punta Cana and even had the nerve to charge us for snacks on the flight!
RouteToronto to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Review by (Canada)

Chose this airline because it was $300 cheaper than Air Canada or WestJet. Never again. All legs were delayed by up to 5 hrs. On return, part of the delay was due to staff leaving the plane at the wrong gate. Seats excruciatingly uncomfortable. Stuffed in like sardines. Avoid at all cost.
RouteVancouver to Toronto

Review by (Canada)

Used Sunwing about a year ago for my parents and they loved it. But this time around was a nightmare. There are 2 separate encounters in the last couple days. My friends were flying Sunwing Vancouver to Toronto on the 6th. They get to the airport and find the flight is delayed an hour. Then delayed it another 1hr, than they come in and push it another 3 hours bringing their total wait time at the airport 5 hours. Now on August 8 my wife and baby daughter are flying Sunwing Toronto to Vancouver booked in advance, most airlines allow luggage for the baby but not these guys, they said they'll charge $10 a kg for any extra luggage or I can upgrade for their Elite first class for $50 and get an additional 10kg. I agreed and paid. The lady also said because of the upgrade the baby can have her stroller shipped at no charge. Now when we get to the airport the lady says we have to pay $20 for the stroller because it's heavier than most strollers. Than we get to the gate and realize the flight has been delayed from 8:10-11:30 (3.5 hrs) so we checked in anyway. Than by the time the plane gets there at 12 to be exact we end up sitting in the runway till 1:30 before take off, a total of 5.5 hours waisted. Wife gets in the plane to so called first class, it's just a seat in a front row. Now after a long 5 hr flight finally making it to Vancouver, wife goes to pick up her luggage and notices the stroller is missing. The next nightmare will begin because from the look and sound of their so called staff this is gonna take a very long time to resolve. I fly a lot within Canada and always take Air Canada and West jet. Gave these guys a shot and they failed miserably twice in 2 days.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteToronto to Vancouver

Review by (Canada)

First when I check in they say the flight is delayed 3 hours, with no reason given. Then an hour before boarding they delay it another 4 hours. So all in all 7 hour delay. Sunwing Airlines refused to pay for a hotel for anyone, because it has to be 8 hours. It was actually delayed 7 hours, 15 mins total. The explanation was because a crew member got sick so they had to wait for the morning crew to come in. The flight was originally at 11:15pm and was delayed until 6am. Never would I recommend Sunwing Airlines to anyone - they give u a $75 voucher to spend on another flight with them, are you kidding me!
RouteVancouver to Toronto

Review by (Canada)

Online seat selection was broken the day before our departure, we had purchased the "premium" package to select the seats in advance. In order to use this package I had to actually call them instead of doing it online. Unlike most airlines online check-in is available only 4 hours before departure. The online check-in process is the worst I have seen - you cannot check in everyone on your booking at the same time, you have to do it for each family member, even for children. At the airport it was not too bad, just like other budget airlines. The check-in line was long but that's where the premium package is useful. The flight from Montreal to Holguin was OK. The aircraft was relatively large but the seat spacing was extremely small. We are not talking about the centimeters between your knees and the seat in front of you, we are talking about the centimeters between your nose and that seat. If the passenger in front of you reclines, you simply have no choice but to recline too. If you go to the bathroom and they start serving food or drinks - you will not get back to your seat until the cart passes it. Food and drink service is ok. I have to admit that the food was provided and it it was quite good. The flight back (WG645) was terrible. First, the drink service was worse, they did not even have coffee. Next, the cabin temperature. It was very cold. Considering that the families were flying from Cuba (+35C) with kids it was just terrible. Many people complained but nothing was done to make it warmer. Next, the flight was late to Montreal by ~40 minutes, it could not get to the gate. Finally, instead of unloading the gate checked-in strollers they have unloaded them with the rest of the luggage. Lots of fun with small kids getting through 1-hour-plus waiting line at the border control and the customs.
RouteHOG to YUL

Sunwing Airlines customer review

Review by (United States)

We were allowed 2 free checked bags apiece. They gave us a free glass of champagne and a tasty little mini sub on the way down, and free red wine and a yummy pizza pocket on the way back. We got to watch a movie, and the nonstop flight (both to and fro) was uneventful, and pretty much on time. The staff were friendly and they even did all the announcements in French, as well as English. I'd definitely fly Sunwing again.
RouteCharlotte to Punta Cana

Review by (Canada)

First time, horror stories, but Canada has little choice in flights. Much prefer WestJet. Going down, was fine. On time, service OK. On Return flight, sure enough, delay. Only found out by checking online! Their rep at resort did not believe me, and had to go confirm the delay. Then another one hour delay, then two more - total just under 4 hours, so they didn't have to give food vouchers out. I was prepared, knowing about all their delays, so went with the flow! Was lucky to get later check out at resort. Taxes are rip off. Must pay to books seats in advance, out of Mexico for return flight. Will avoid them if possible.
RouteVancouver to Puerto Vallarta Mexico

Sunwing Airlines customer review

Review by (United States)

I read terrible reviews of this airline and was not expecting much. To my surprise this was one of the best airlines I have flown. We did leave late both in going to my destination and returning, (1 hour each time) and that was not fun. The stewardess were so friendly, attentive, and I felt they went the extra mile to ensure the passengers had a pleasant flight. I am tall and I was worried about the leg room, but I had plenty of leg room. The seats were wide enough and my family was comfortable during our 3.5 hour flight. We had champaign on our flight to our destination, it was okay, a nice touch. There was a meal which really was nothing more than a grown-up hot pocket. It was tasty, but nothing to write home about. All in all I would certainly fly with Sunwing again.
RouteCharlotte to Punta Cana