Top 100 Airports

Sunwing Airlines

"had no problems with the airline"

Flew from Pearson Toronto to Punta Cana. I have flown with Sunwing Airlines and I have had no problems with the airline. When we got to the gate at Toronto, boarding was fairly quick, and staff were efficient. I was lucky to get on their new 737's. The airplane smelled new and fresh, the cabin temperature was cool and comfortable. Staff were friendly too. We took off right on time, and it was early in the morning so the crew turned on the cool blue lights to match up with the sky. We got served breakfast a few hours later, French toast with jam and tea or coffee, it was pretty good. Some people who weren't in elite plus started to walk around to stretch their legs, the extra 50$ is worth it. We landed smoothly. It was a great trip, would recommend.
RouteYYZ to PUJ
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"not apologetic in the slightest"

We were supposed to leave for Freeport at 8am, expecting to land at 11.00 in the Bahamas. Our Sunwing Airlines flight got delayed until 4.00. Both tyres of the plane needed to be replaced, but they didn't have extra parts there. They had to order more, wait for the order to get to the airport, fix the part, test it out, and then allow us to board. They gave us meal vouchers. A $20 meal voucher to replace a full day of vacation. They are not apologetic in the slightest. They didn't seem willing to give us any refund or compensation at all. Great way to spend the first day of my honeymoon.
RouteDFW to FPO
Date FlownJuly 2016

"it was not worth it"

Sunwing Airlines only allow 1 carry-on and carry-on must be 5kg or less. Extra carry on must go to luggage check in. They charge $26 per piece of luggage. No drinks or food for the 4 hour flight. Every item is charged for. No AC outlet to charge smart devices on the plane. No movies to watch on the flight. Flight from Vancouver to Toronto was delayed on departure. Upon arrival, there was a problem with the airbridge. Lots of mechanical issues. Flight was cheap, you get what you paid for, but based on the experience, it was not worth it.
RouteYVR to YYZ
Date FlownJune 2016

"tortuously slow"

Verified Review | I was warned not to fly with Sunwing Airlines but the price was right for a last minute ticket from Vancouver to Toronto. Flight was delayed 1.5 hour (apparently this is quite common), the check in process was tortuously slow even though I did a web check in and just needed a boarding pass (getting a boarding pass through my phone did not seem to be an option) and I find out as I'm getting my boarding pass that carry on luggage must weigh <5kg otherwise it has to be checked for a fee of $26. Total cash grab and hugely inconvenient for people wanting to avoid checked luggage. I've flown with countless airlines all over the world but I won't fly with them again.
RouteYVR to YYZ
Date FlownJune 2016

"everything went smoothly"

I was extremely apprehensive after reading the plethora of negative reviews about flying Sunwing. But much to my surprise, everything went smoothly on this trip both coming and going to Jamaica. Both flights were on time, no delays. The flight staff was friendly, and I had no issues with the food they served. Going to Jamaica, they did serve Champaigne, and gave everybody hot towelettes. Yes the glass of Champaigne was small, but please people just get over it. We upgraded to Elite Plus. $50 was so worth the extra leg room forget about the other little perks of board first and getting your luggage first, the leg room to me was the most important. The only issue we had was boarding in Jamaica, and they did not board the Elite Plus passengers first. We quickly told them they were wrong in doing this, and they then let all of us board. The reason for these types of issues, is that when not in Canada, they staff at other airports are more often than not, just workers at the airport, and they do not work for Sunwing. So they are probably not all that familiar with boarding procedures for certain airlines like Sumwing. I would fly with them again
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteYYC to MBJ
Date FlownMay 2016

"it was hot and smelly"

Flew Vancouver to Cabo via Victoria. Terrible crew with attitudes. Seats with no leg room, couldn't pull out tray because of the small space. Aircraft had no air. Coming back it was hot and smelly. I was to first to use the washroom, it had not been cleaned from the previous flight. There was no toilet paper or paper to dry your hands. I went in after the flight attendant and she made no attempt to refill the papers. On our way back we were early and stuck in Victoria for more than an hour. We arrived after midnight in Vancouver, stuck again for more than an hour as there was no one to bring the stairs to the aircraft. The heat in the plane was unbearable and they only served one small drink. Will not fly with Sunwing again.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteYVR to SJD via YYJ
Date FlownApril 2016

"poor planning and scheduling"

Verified Review | Firstly, Sunwing does not state any hidden costs involved when you arrive or depart the airport. When we arrived to Punta Cana, we had to pay $10 USD as their arrival tax. When you leave, you must pay a $20 USD departure tax before you can check in. We read online about this tax and usually other airlines would incorporate it into their flight or bigger airlines might just waive this for customers. If this tax is not paid, you cannot enter the airport or get checked into your plane. Secondly, there were long line up's to check in - it took us 90 minutes standing in line. There is no online kiosk available and even if you check in online, you still need to line up to drop off your baggage. Sunwing partners with DR's tourism company Nexus - which they arranged for shuttle buses to drop you off and pick you up - which is a plus. However, there is poor planning and scheduling. They drop off all the passengers on a plane at the same time - hence causing the 90 minute wait. (We were the only airline that had a long line up for the 90 minutes we were at the airport and we were there 2pm not the middle of the night). Not to mention - there were only two clerks serving customers checking in. Lastly, there was a long delay coming back home - what would have been a 7 hour flight became 11 hours. We needed to make a fuel stop from Punta Cana to Hamiliton, Ontario because they stated that they need to change crew and also get fuel and refresh their supplies. This is a huge inconvenience to the customer as we are left like prisoners stuck on the plane waiting for them to change crews. It is definitely not necessary to have a fuel stop as we flew from Vancouver to Punta Cana direct flight. So the only reason they did a fuel stop was because the flight attendants timed out and they needed to change crew. This caused a different and much longer flight route and delayed us. This was very poor planning and scheduling on Sunwing's part. This was the worst flying experience I've ever had. Do not choose SunWing.
RoutePUJ to YVR

"extremely hot plane"

Flight from Montreal to Punta Cana was excellent. On April 13 our return flight was a nightmare to say the least. Arrived at Punta Cana airport on time. After waiting in line over 1.5 hours finally made it to the Exit Tax counter only to wait again for luggage/boarding counter. Boarding delayed 1 hour, no explanation. Boarded extremely hot plane, no air conditioning. We were told attempts were made to repair it but no time frame given. We were literally left to cook in the plane for almost 2 hours with door closed most of the time, the outdide temperature was 32c. We were finally left off the plane after a passenger became quite vocal about the seriousness of the situation. No one took responsibility for this carelous incident. The cabin crew except the pilot who hid in his cabin were great though, they passed around water and ice cubes to cool off. Flight was rescheduled for next morning, same airplane what a joke. Never flying Sunwing again.
RoutePUJ to YUL

"no problems at all"

We flew Sunwing Airlines 3/21/16 to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico from Rockford IL and back on 3/28/16. No problems at all with this airline. I was worried after reading some reviews but both our flights were on time if not early both ways during the spring break peak. You are provided a free snack of pretzels and soda or may purchase other items as you wish. I always seem to get the kid kicking my seat from behind but that is just poor parenting and nothing to do with the airline. My only suggestion is to bring your own head phones. They offer (current) free movies but you will have to pay $3.00 for headphones unless you have your own. (Also, make sure you check the boards as our gate did get changed.) Overall, I am able to give a solid recommendation for this airline as a first time customer.
RouteRFD to PVR
Date FlownMarch 2016

"never have had a problem"

Went from Toronto to Montego Bay with Sunwing Airlines in April 2016 and have to say the flight to Jamaica and return was fantastic! Have flown a few times with Sunwing and never have had a problem. To be fair though, I have flown with Westjet and Air Canada and have had no problems either. I always look for a good price when I book a vacation. If no real price difference with the airlines I will book with Sunwing for the free meal. I think it is great they supply a little food , makes the time go faster. I do wish we could book our seats for free (or even a lower seat fee) within the 24 hours other airlines do but have had no problems so far in getting our seats together.
RouteYYZ to MBJ