Top 100 Airlines

Sunwing Airlines

"it was hot and smelly"

Flew Vancouver to Cabo via Victoria. Terrible crew with attitudes. Seats with no leg room, couldn't pull out tray because of the small space. Aircraft had no air. Coming back it was hot and smelly. I was to first to use the washroom, it had not been cleaned from the previous flight. There was no toilet paper or paper to dry your hands. I went in after the flight attendant and she made no attempt to refill the papers. On our way back we were early and stuck in Victoria for more than an hour. We arrived after midnight in Vancouver, stuck again for more than an hour as there was no one to bring the stairs to the aircraft. The heat in the plane was unbearable and they only served one small drink. Will not fly with Sunwing again.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteYVR to SJD via YYJ
Date FlownApril 2016

"poor planning and scheduling"

Verified Review | Firstly, Sunwing does not state any hidden costs involved when you arrive or depart the airport. When we arrived to Punta Cana, we had to pay $10 USD as their arrival tax. When you leave, you must pay a $20 USD departure tax before you can check in. We read online about this tax and usually other airlines would incorporate it into their flight or bigger airlines might just waive this for customers. If this tax is not paid, you cannot enter the airport or get checked into your plane. Secondly, there were long line up's to check in - it took us 90 minutes standing in line. There is no online kiosk available and even if you check in online, you still need to line up to drop off your baggage. Sunwing partners with DR's tourism company Nexus - which they arranged for shuttle buses to drop you off and pick you up - which is a plus. However, there is poor planning and scheduling. They drop off all the passengers on a plane at the same time - hence causing the 90 minute wait. (We were the only airline that had a long line up for the 90 minutes we were at the airport and we were there 2pm not the middle of the night). Not to mention - there were only two clerks serving customers checking in. Lastly, there was a long delay coming back home - what would have been a 7 hour flight became 11 hours. We needed to make a fuel stop from Punta Cana to Hamiliton, Ontario because they stated that they need to change crew and also get fuel and refresh their supplies. This is a huge inconvenience to the customer as we are left like prisoners stuck on the plane waiting for them to change crews. It is definitely not necessary to have a fuel stop as we flew from Vancouver to Punta Cana direct flight. So the only reason they did a fuel stop was because the flight attendants timed out and they needed to change crew. This caused a different and much longer flight route and delayed us. This was very poor planning and scheduling on Sunwing's part. This was the worst flying experience I've ever had. Do not choose SunWing.
RoutePUJ to YVR

"extremely hot plane"

Flight from Montreal to Punta Cana was excellent. On April 13 our return flight was a nightmare to say the least. Arrived at Punta Cana airport on time. After waiting in line over 1.5 hours finally made it to the Exit Tax counter only to wait again for luggage/boarding counter. Boarding delayed 1 hour, no explanation. Boarded extremely hot plane, no air conditioning. We were told attempts were made to repair it but no time frame given. We were literally left to cook in the plane for almost 2 hours with door closed most of the time, the outdide temperature was 32c. We were finally left off the plane after a passenger became quite vocal about the seriousness of the situation. No one took responsibility for this carelous incident. The cabin crew except the pilot who hid in his cabin were great though, they passed around water and ice cubes to cool off. Flight was rescheduled for next morning, same airplane what a joke. Never flying Sunwing again.
RoutePUJ to YUL

"no problems at all"

We flew Sunwing Airlines 3/21/16 to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico from Rockford IL and back on 3/28/16. No problems at all with this airline. I was worried after reading some reviews but both our flights were on time if not early both ways during the spring break peak. You are provided a free snack of pretzels and soda or may purchase other items as you wish. I always seem to get the kid kicking my seat from behind but that is just poor parenting and nothing to do with the airline. My only suggestion is to bring your own head phones. They offer (current) free movies but you will have to pay $3.00 for headphones unless you have your own. (Also, make sure you check the boards as our gate did get changed.) Overall, I am able to give a solid recommendation for this airline as a first time customer.
RouteRFD to PVR
Date FlownMarch 2016

"never have had a problem"

Went from Toronto to Montego Bay with Sunwing Airlines in April 2016 and have to say the flight to Jamaica and return was fantastic! Have flown a few times with Sunwing and never have had a problem. To be fair though, I have flown with Westjet and Air Canada and have had no problems either. I always look for a good price when I book a vacation. If no real price difference with the airlines I will book with Sunwing for the free meal. I think it is great they supply a little food , makes the time go faster. I do wish we could book our seats for free (or even a lower seat fee) within the 24 hours other airlines do but have had no problems so far in getting our seats together.
RouteYYZ to MBJ

"no water in washrooms"

Sunwing Airlines from Punta Cana to Calgary via Hamilton. Timing was okay both ways but no water in the washrooms. There was no pre-warning about this. When I used the washroom there were mini sanitizer packets in the sink and I thought perhaps someone had left them. I tried to use the tap but no water came out - I went out and asked one of the flight attendants and she told me that there is no water because they could not load it in Punta Cana. Staff in general were rude and offering minimal assistance - walk through aircraft at a fastpace with minimal eye contact. This flight must have been completely out of water as they don't bring you water to drink. Our first flight was 4 hours from Punta Cana to Hamilton and the second flight was 4 hours from Hamilton to Calgary. In more than 8 hours of flight they only offered water once. I am not a fussy person but I would not recommend flying with Sunwing. No entertainment, the seats were tight and no water. Eat well before take off because a tiny sandwich or a slice of pizza might not be enough to keep you full for 6-8 hours of flying
RoutePUJ to YYC via YHM
Date FlownApril 2016

"changed departure time several times"

This carrier changed our departure time several times. We booked in good faith for a 6:30pm departure which would allow us plenty of time to check in before our flight after work. A month later we received a flight change notice that our flight would be leaving at 12:30pm that same day. Panic as we would be required to take time off work to check in. In my husband's case that cost him a loss of a days wage and for me, I was lucky and would have to make up the time when I returned from vacation. Then another flight notice was emailed that departure would be 11:20am. The departure time and via Toronto notice came and then it was changed back to 11:20am. Very confusing as I received a phone call from Sell off Vacations that our flight was changed again to 12:30 departure. We checked our departure online just to make sure when our departure time and sure enough it was 11:20am. Never booking a vacation with Sunwing again. I don't know how they stay in business.
RouteYWG to VRA
Date FlownMarch 2016

"very disappointed with Sunwing"

Very disappointed with Sunwing Airlines from Toronto to Cancun return. Sat on the runway for over 3 hours before take off. No drink offered or even any information! It was understandable we may be delayed due to the weather and while I appreciate that delays happen as a result why board a plane that is going to be sitting for 3 hours on the runway. No communication or beverages served was my main issue. To top it all off we had another 3.25 delay coming home and no explanation. It makes you wonder why? This was a problem for those that planned the flight specifically to arrive at a reasonable hour in order to work the next day! We paid more money for this flight for that reason.
RouteYYZ to CUN
Date FlownMarch 2016

"crazy, not even a coffee"

Verified Review | Montreal to Punta Cana with Sunwing Airlines. Took over 2 hours to get to the plane, then it took 1.5 hours to get offered a $3 bottle of warm water. We left our hotel at 11am for a 3pm flight. Didn't have 5 minutes at the airport to get food. Rushed to buy water and chips so we could survive until 4:30pm, when they offered us the warm bottles of water. The movie got stopped in the middle and took 30 minutes for them to get it back to about where they cut it. We were offered a sandwich and a small cup of Coke through the entire 4.5 hour flight. Crazy, not even a coffee!
RouteYUL to PUJ
Date FlownMarch 2016

"not be flying this airline again"

We have flown many times with this carrier, not because we chose to, but because they have a lock on many of the resort's transportation logistics within Punta Cana and many other popular sun destinations. After the last time we flew with them over Christmas, this will be the last. It is true, this is a discount airline, and you can't expect much, however without getting into every detail, we boarded the plane, and were in Elite plus (this really isn't much in the way of elite by the way). Apparently there was another flight crew who was at their "8 hour working limit" and had to come back with our plane and the fresh crew who were aboard. From the time we boarded the plane, it was constantly made aware to us from the new flight crew and over the planes PA system about how tired these poor people were, I mean about half a dozen times. Then they promptly moved up to the elite plus seats, each took all three of them. They were repeatedly offered service for anything and everything right under our noses. Having to hear about how exhausted this poor off duty flight crew was over and over was too much. Then, the one duty flight crew decided to have "old home week" with the off duty crew right in front of our seats, loud loud talking and reminiscing. I'm not against that, but we paid extra to be in those seats and really just wanted to sleep a bit. I wasn't at all impressed with this and in addition to many other "famous Sunwing moments" will not be flying with this airline again. In closing I will say "you get what you pay for". I would gladly pay extra to avoid flying with this carrier.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy