Sunwing Airlines

"Sunwing couldn't have cared less"

Trip Verified | Flying home from week stay in Cuba booked through Sunwings vacations. Was supposed to leave on flight WG 619 on Feb 4 at 3.05am. Boarded plane late and mechanical issue with plane so all passengers deplaned and waited. Reboarded after a couple of hours but still issues with plane. Captain informed us that it would be quite a long wait as the mechanical issue was a bigger problem than originally though. Waited in airport and not one person informed us of what we should do. Finally after a few more hours, over the intercom, passengers of that flight were told to go to gate 3. We did and were ushered through the gate only to find ourselves back at immigration and ushered through there back into the baggage area and main lobby. All our baggage was laying on the floor. Again not one Sunwing rep in sight to inform us of what was happening or where we were to go. As one big herd of people, we found ourselves pushed outside and then yelled at to go forward and right. Buses waiting with finally one rep there but so busy yelling at people to get on the buses. Word through the passengers was that we were being taken to another resort to wait. Bused for 30 minutes to resort where they took our passports and said they would give them back later as they were trying to deal with 169 passengers. Now we have no Visas nor passports. Waited until 9 pm to be picked up again and taken to airport. Rechecked luggage, stood in line for Visas again then stood in line for immigration, then back through security only to find that no one even knew if a plane was available. The entire time, not one Sunwing rep was there to speak with the passengers or let us know what was happening. Sat in airport for more hours, even the long suffering flight crew of our flight weren't sure what was going on. Internet was spotty at best and whenever someone was able to access it, they would get information for passengers from friends and families checking flight status or website. That's how we were able to try to stay informed. Not one time did a rep come around even with just bottled water for us and to tell us what was happening. Finally, finally we were able to board the same aircraft as before and made it home 29 hours later. And guess what, we were handed a photocopied sheet of paper informing us that we can get a $150 credit. Big deal. All they had to do was just inform the passengers what was happening. Everyone knew that mechanical failures happen and every passenger wanted to be safe. But it was a case of Sunwing couldn't have cared less.
RouteVaradero to Saskatoon
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"No apologies or explanation"

Trip Verified | I've flown Sunwing several times and it gets worse and worse each time. Going to Ft. Lauderdale we were delayed 6 hours. No refund or credit given. Now we are delayed going home over an hour wait so far. No apologies or explanation. Definitely will reconsider flying Sunwing again.
RouteFt Lauderdale to Ottawa
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"as short a flight as possible"

Trip Verified | I was very specific about a direct flight both ways and paid for the exactly that. I wanted as short a flight as possible because I was recently in a car accident and my back hurts if I sit for a long time. Imagine my suprise when I found out there was an added stop in Toronto to refuel adding 4 hours of flight time. Was told it’s not a big deal, might not of been to them but after sitting in that little seat for 10 hours I was ready to die. The pain was ridiculous and the response was even worse.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteMontego Bay to Vancouver
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"old aircraft and old seats"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Vancouver. Horrible experience flying Sunwing. Beware the price is not worth the hurdles this airline puts you through. Sunwing will try to ding you for any extras they can land their hands on. Rude staff on ground, will measure your carry on to the tenth of a kilogram and try to charge you for check in. In flight comfort is terrible, old aircraft and old seats. I do not recommend flying Sunwing at all. I would rather support an airline that’s more expensive but takes measures to accommodate the comfort and satisfaction of the traveller.
RouteToronto to Vancouver
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"very disappointed"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Punta Cana. I have been very disappointed with flying Sunwing the last few times. They used to offer meals, snack and drinks. Now they only come around for drinks and do not even provide any snacks whatsoever. There are no USB/outlets on the plane, so if you are not interested in the one movie playing, I hope you use your phone battery wisely. On our flight the bathroom broke, causing a bit of a smell throughout the plane for the rest of our flight. If I didn't like going to RIU resorts, I would not choose to fly Sunwing again.
RouteToronto to Punta Cana
Date FlownDecember 2017

"not sure I would fly Sunwing again"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Montego Bay. I am writing you today to let you know how bad of a treatment we had today with Sunwing. First of all, we were supposed to leave to Montego Bay at 15:40, the flight got delay till 16:10. Than, got delay again, telling us we would leave at maximum 17:00, but than at 16:55 they made an announcement telling us we were changing gate; from 5 to 53, which is at the other end of the airport, ridiculous for family with young kids. Finally, at 17:30 they made an boarding announcement, but we quickly realize we were boarding a bus instead of the plane. That bus was bringing us back to gate 5, than we get into the plane, no TV or USB connection, like they advise for. During all that time, they never told us the reason for the delay, not a good start to our vacation. I am not sure I would fly with Sunwing again, or recommend it.
RouteMontreal to Montego Bay

"rude lady at boarding"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Toronto. I am okay with the airline being less than extravagant because it was a cheap flight. What I am not ok with is the extremely rude lady at boarding. The lady at the check in forgot to charge us, I have only taken Westjest and Air Canada (which gives 1 free bag) so thought it was normal so after she rudely told my partner and I this, not even apologizing for the inconvenience. His CC was declined so I asked what would happen if he couldn't pay. Again very rudely said "so you don't carry cash or another credit card at the airport?" very rude the entire time. Her attitude was disgusting. Maybe Sunwing should invest in some decent staff if they can't provide a comfortable flight.
RouteVancouver to Toronto
Date FlownDecember 2017

"had a terrible attitude"

Trip Verified | Calgary to Cancún. The check in counter staff had a terrible attitude. We did not book our seats online and her first response was to ask you guys did not book your seats on line? You will need to be sitting in different seats separate from each other, before even checking the seats plan. She was coughing while working through our passports, she kept coughing and I asked if she’s ok? She said she had just been outside (-15c). I understand it but shouldn’t her not even be working her shift when she was sick? It was bad for her and bad for customers on receiving bad service.
RouteCalgary to Cancún
Date FlownDecember 2017

"best way to lose customers"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Aruba. We cancelled our previous flight and booked Sunwing only because it was a direct flight to our destination and also leaving three nights earlier because it is a direct flight. Three days before our departure we were notified that we will be stopping somewhere else (Punta Cana) to pick up other passengers. We will be waiting for 2 hours on a plane while this happens! It is in the terms and conditions so we have no say. Even if we cancel we cannot bank this flight value we lose all our money. This is the best way to lose customers. Have flown every airline in the industry American and Canadian and this is first and last time I will ever use Sunwing. They obviously do this to save money not to send planes that are not full but in the end they will still lose customers. Shame on them. Charge people more but when you offer direct flight, make it a direct flight not force us to stop in another country.
RouteMontreal to Aruba
Date FlownDecember 2017

"trip is now short 1 day"

Verified Review | We arrived to the airport 3 hours before the flight and at check in they let us know that our flight is been delayed until 6:15. They gave us some food vouchers and after they delayed the flight again until 8:40. We had been at the airport for more than 7 hours. We call Sunwing but can't reach them by phone. We ask the staff at the airport and no one could give a good reason why we are delayed. This is the last time we book with Sunwing - if they could call us or just send an email it would be fine with us but now our trip is now short 1 day.
RouteToronto to Puerto Vallarta