Sunwing Airlines

Review by (Canada) 1st August 2015

Online seat selection was broken the day before our departure, we had purchased the "premium" package to select the seats in advance. In order to use this package I had to actually call them instead of doing it online. Unlike most airlines online check-in is available only 4 hours before departure. The online check-in process is the worst I have seen - you cannot check in everyone on your booking at the same time, you have to do it for each family member, even for children. At the airport it was not too bad, just like other budget airlines. The check-in line was long but that's where the premium package is useful. The flight from Montreal to Holguin was OK. The aircraft was relatively large but the seat spacing was extremely small. We are not talking about the centimeters between your knees and the seat in front of you, we are talking about the centimeters between your nose and that seat. If the passenger in front of you reclines, you simply have no choice but to recline too. If you go to the bathroom and they start serving food or drinks - you will not get back to your seat until the cart passes it. Food and drink service is ok. I have to admit that the food was provided and it it was quite good. The flight back (WG645) was terrible. First, the drink service was worse, they did not even have coffee. Next, the cabin temperature. It was very cold. Considering that the families were flying from Cuba (+35C) with kids it was just terrible. Many people complained but nothing was done to make it warmer. Next, the flight was late to Montreal by ~40 minutes, it could not get to the gate. Finally, instead of unloading the gate checked-in strollers they have unloaded them with the rest of the luggage. Lots of fun with small kids getting through 1-hour-plus waiting line at the border control and the customs.
RouteHOG to YUL

Review by (United States) 28th July 2015

We were allowed 2 free checked bags apiece. They gave us a free glass of champagne and a tasty little mini sub on the way down, and free red wine and a yummy pizza pocket on the way back. We got to watch a movie, and the nonstop flight (both to and fro) was uneventful, and pretty much on time. The staff were friendly and they even did all the announcements in French, as well as English. I'd definitely fly Sunwing again.
RouteCharlotte to Punta Cana

Review by (Canada) 23rd July 2015

First time, horror stories, but Canada has little choice in flights. Much prefer WestJet. Going down, was fine. On time, service OK. On Return flight, sure enough, delay. Only found out by checking online! Their rep at resort did not believe me, and had to go confirm the delay. Then another one hour delay, then two more - total just under 4 hours, so they didn't have to give food vouchers out. I was prepared, knowing about all their delays, so went with the flow! Was lucky to get later check out at resort. Taxes are rip off. Must pay to books seats in advance, out of Mexico for return flight. Will avoid them if possible.
RouteVancouver to Puerto Vallarta Mexico

Review by (United States) 23rd July 2015

I read terrible reviews of this airline and was not expecting much. To my surprise this was one of the best airlines I have flown. We did leave late both in going to my destination and returning, (1 hour each time) and that was not fun. The stewardess were so friendly, attentive, and I felt they went the extra mile to ensure the passengers had a pleasant flight. I am tall and I was worried about the leg room, but I had plenty of leg room. The seats were wide enough and my family was comfortable during our 3.5 hour flight. We had champaign on our flight to our destination, it was okay, a nice touch. There was a meal which really was nothing more than a grown-up hot pocket. It was tasty, but nothing to write home about. All in all I would certainly fly with Sunwing again.
RouteCharlotte to Punta Cana

Review by (United States) 20th July 2015

We were hesitant about flying with Sunwing after reading all the awful, negative reviews. However, we were pleasantly surprised! Our outbound flight left about 15 minutes late, but no big deal. The aircraft was clean and appeared new. The staff were helpful and friendly. As far as seat comfort goes, I found the seats to be typical of most airlines. There were family friendly in-flight movies but the headsets cost $4 each. Our return flight actually left a few minutes early and arrived back home 30 minutes ahead of schedule. Again, the staff were very helpful and friendly. Sodas, juices, water, coffee/tea, and wine were served at no charge. Beer and mixed drinks were offered for an additional charge. Snacks were offered at an additional charge. They also served a hot bistro pastry at no charge that was only so-so but hey, this is airline food not a 4 star restaurant. We did not choose the elite service but they do board elite passengers first, from a separate line and they are seated first at the front the aircraft. Would I fly Sunwing again? Absolutely!
RouteNew Orleans to Punta Cana

Review by (Canada) 20th July 2015

Flight delayed almost 4hrs and they offer a snack voucher worth $15. It's almost 10pm. Only a few stores open. Missing a day of work due to this delay and they said this is the best they can do. Choose another airline and save yourself a headache!
RouteYVR to YYC

Review by (Canada) 19th July 2015

The only reason we went with Sunwing after reading several bad reviews was the decent price. We were aware that Sunwing was notorious for delays, but decided to take the risk. What a mistake we made. Our original departure time was 3.45 pm. Under an hour before we were supposed to board, we were told that there was about an hour and a half delay. Not too bad yet. However, as time passed, the delay got pushed further and further, until finally, our new departure time was 1.00 am. This was a complete nightmare for all passengers, including those who had very young children. Instead of telling us right away that our plane would be delayed until such a late time, they kept us at the airport, waiting, with very little information as to why the delay happened. "Compensation" was $20 meal vouchers that were useless at the time, since most of the restaurants in our area were shut down for the night. We also got $75 vouchers for excursions, but it still did not make up for a day of our vacation ruined. Two weeks later, on our way back to Toronto from Holguin, our plane was in a similar situation. First a four hour delay. No explanation. The delay once again got pushed to later times, until it was over five hours of waiting in our hotel lobby without air conditioning. New departure time was 1.45 am. In conclusion, we will never fly with Sunwing again, as it seems that customers are the last thing they worry about. With huge delays and no communication between the airline and the passengers, Sunwing is not a good option in any shape or form.
RouteToronto to Holguin

Review by (Canada) 15th July 2015

We were delayed 8 hours. During this time we were not kept informed of the status of our flight. We were just expected to wait. We even boarded the plane and were later asked to de-board due to mechanical issues after waiting in the plane for 2 hours. Due to the delay we did not have a ride home. Therefore we had to pay for a very expensive cab ride. Of course they refused to compensate us claiming that any delays are not the responsibility of the airline. The only compensation was a meal voucher which we had to use within 45 min or we were out of luck. And good luck speaking to a live person at customer service. There is no such thing. There is absolutely no way we would ever fly Sunwing again. All the negative reviews are true. I'm not even sure how they are still in business.
RouteToronto to Vancouver

Review by (United States) 10th July 2015

I just landed in the Bahamas. I was very worried about the airline especially after reading all the negative reviews. My flight was great. The plane left on time and the staff were excellent. The plane was clean and appeared to be new. You get what you paid for. If you want champagne service go to another airline. For a family of 5 it fit the bill and I would fly with them again!
RouteNewark to Bahamas

Review by (Canada) 30th June 2015

Took Sunwing for the first time from YUL to VRA. The airline by itself is ok compared to the competition, some food was free. But the headsets had to be paid for and no PTV available.
RouteYUL to VRA