Vote Now

Sunwing Airlines

"attendants surpassed expectations"

Verified Review | Montego Bay to Sault Ste. Marie. Very happy with Sunwing. Read reviews and was afraid but now after flying with Sunwing I love the staff. Flight attendants surpassed expectations. Polite and happy. Sunwing will have my business anytime. Can't wait for our next family trip. =
RouteMontego Bay to Sault Ste. Marie
Date FlownMarch 2017

"ship us all via buses "

Verified Review | Windsor to Cancun. So we arrived in Windsor this morning to catch our flight to Cancun. All of Sunwing Airlines sites said the plane was on time. The plane circled the airport for 45 minutes due to poor weather and then flew on to Toronto. Instead of waiting for the weather to clear, some genius decided to ship us all via buses from Windsor to Toronto to meet up with the plane. So after sitting all day in the airport we are now on a bus headed to Toronto. For good measure they throw in a couple boxes or "snacks​" for the trip. Before boarding the bus, they announced all flighta into Toronto had been cancelled. Also the news has reported the eastbound lanes of the 301 are shut down. I'm not really excited to be driving in a bus in poor weather to catch a plan that is most likely going to be cancelled. To top this all off, when contacting Sunwing Airlines, because there is no representation at the Windsor airport, the rep said there will be no reimbursement because flight times always change. I'm sorry but this isn't just a flight time change. We are driving to a whole other airport for godsakes! The last thing that totally infuriates me is that there are several people with walkers and wheel chairs. How the hell did you expect to get them on the bus? Trust me, this was not thought about. If I was anyone of those poor people I'd be even made upset. I'd love to see Sunwing step up and rectify this situation, but I'm not holding my breath!
RouteWindsor to Cancun
Date FlownMarch 2017

"the flights were torture"

Verified Review | Calgary to Punta Cana return. Overcrowded small aircraft not made for longer distances, dirty plastic seats that have no space for legs. I'm 5'10 and had 1 inch free standing straight. Never mind reclining. Return, they mentioned a technical stop. For some economic reason they would not disclose they made a flight that should have lasted 6.5 hours into 10 hours by stopping in Toronto. Same bad conditions. No free service. No free meals, no assistance. The worst flight of my life, and I go a lot. So although the Sunwing vacation (resort) was great - the flights were torture, and I would be hesitant to book again. Would probably spend at least another 200$ or more for a different airline. Note: many tried to book "elite" for same reason. the elite has 6 seats at the emergency exit that have more space but are super uncomfortable. Again, too small a plane for those distances. Severely need upgrade to a larger jet or more comfy arrangements, including free meals if flight is over 6 hours.
RouteCalgary to Punta Cana
Date FlownMarch 2017

"quality of service is going down"

Verified Review | San Jose del Cabo to Edmonton. The plane was very delayed and we were supposed to land in Edmonton at 4:45 but we ended up there after 9:00 pm. When we were starting to take off the plane did not have any air conditioning and it was 30+ Celsius outside. I flew with Sunwing Airlines before and the quality of service is going down. We were told to leave the resort at 8:15 in the morning, so we didn't have anything to eat from 8:15 to 11pm at night. Sunwing didn't provide a single snack and they didn't have tea or coffee. We were told that the espresso machine is broken. The flight was advertised as champagne but we didn't receive anything. We were offered a juice or water twice. The crew didn't not inform us about specific landing times nor did they say how close we are to Edmonton. Not even once.
RouteSan Jose del Cabo to Edmonton
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"treatment was less than human"

Verified Review | Varadero to Toronto. I have witnessed more than a few comical, inept and annoying check-in processes in my life, but ours with Sunwing on January 27, for the 5pm Toronto to Varadero Flight 622 is the winner. We were at the check-in at 1pm with pre-paid entry to the Premium Plaza Lounge to which we were so looking forward at the start of our holiday. We received quickly our boarding passes from a machine, but no baggage tag. For that, we were compelled to stay in a very very long line for almost two hours. The unfortunate young agent trying to direct people to check-in points (more than half of which were unstaffed) was asking people on later flights (like ours) to stand aside, infuriating those of us who had paid for lounge access. The whole situation was a mess. In the end, we had less than an hour in the lounge. The two young ladies in front of us had even less time for an $80 experience. The end of our stay in Cuba ended with another dismal effort from Sunwing. Flight 623 on February 3 was delayed from its scheduled 9.30pm departure to what eventually became 1.30am the next day. You want to talk about a long final day at a resort waiting for your flight home, this worsened by having then to take an airport bus three hours before flight time leaving us with nothing to do in a small airport, passengers stretched out on chairs trying to sleep, almost beside themselves with tiredness waiting for the incoming flight? Do the airlines realize how silly the euphemism "equipment failure" has become? To airline passengers it simply means "They aren't going to tell us." Quite frankly, given the very large plane, every seat taken, that took us home, it was abundantly clear that Sunwing was simply waiting until they could fly a full plane. Our treatment was less than human. The crew apologized for the inconvenience associated with a 5am arrival in Toronto, but didn't offer a sandwich or a glass of wine to convince us of their sincerity.
RouteVaradero to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"not really Elite service"

Verified Review | We have travelled with Sunwing before with the Elite package from Toronto to Jamaica and were very pleased with what this class had to offer. We were checked in with no line-up, our bags were processed quickly and we virtually had no wait time. However, more recently, we travelled with Sunwing to Dominican Republic from Halifax to Punta Cana, again with Elite status, however the special service was not as positive as the Toronto experience. We were able to check in through a separate line which was quick however we had to wait in line with all other passengers, for an extended period of time to check in our baggage. Extra seat space is still minimal. Regular seat leg room with this airline is very cramped! On the return from Punta Cana, we were processed in a separate line and our baggage was taken, however when it came time to board the plane we were in a very long lineup, with everyone else, with really no order to the boarding process at all. This was not really Elite service by any stretch of the imagination.
RouteHalifax to Punta Cana
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"a very awful experience"

Verified Review | Calgary to Cayo Coco via Edmonton. I e-mailed, faxed and left messages everyday for 1 week. Not one word back, no validation for my horrible experience - nothing. Very poor company to deal with. What a waste of my money and time. My one and only bag between both me and my 15-year-daughter was forgotten in Calgary. We were horrified at the Cuba airport when the luggage carousel stopped and closed down with no bag. We had only what we were wearing and needless to say just coming from -30 degree weather we were quite appropriately dressed for -30 degree weather…not +30!! We both felt very lost, angry and sad. This was our first time to Cuba which we took a year to decide where to go and plan and I just wanted to get back on the plane and go home. I filled out the missing luggage form at the airport and they said to talk to a Sunwing rep at the hotel. Upon arrival at the hotel the Sunwing rep had gone home for the day. I told hotel staff that I had no luggage and have no necessities and they told me they will send toothpaste and toothbrush which never did arrive in my room that night. Next day I talked with a Sunwing rep and they said they could give me $50 a day per bag missing. I told them there are 2 people for 1 bag as we shared the bag that is missing; we both have nothing. Sunwing rep said no, they can give $50 per bag only, plus we had to wait 24 hours before getting the money. Very stressful and frustrating to find that out as I spent a lot of money to come on vacation with no luggage and now we have to sit in our room because we don’t have sunscreen or a bathing suit, just our winter grub on. People were looking at us like we were from another planet, it was very depressing. My daughter and I both cried in the room together, it was devastating. When we finally got our $50 between the both of us, we started hunting for a bathing suit and shoes. The resort did not offer much whatsoever but we spent our $50 on two rubber flip flops and 1 bathing suit each. That’s it, our $50 was done for the day. Next day, $50 got us sunscreen and some toiletries. There were no clothes to be had anywhere so we made the most out of a winter scarf and a winter shawl with our thick tights each evening in order to be allowed to get into the buffet/restaurants to eat. There was not a brush to be bought on the resort or at two markets within the area so a staff member felt bad for us and brought us a brush from her home. Our luggage did finally arrive on day 6 into our stay. Why Sunwings bothered at that point is beyond me. Just a very awful experience.
RouteCalgary to Cuba via Edmonton
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"a 5h flight ended up being nearly 11h"

Verified Review | Vancouver to Cabo via Victoria with Sunwing. Poor service. Flight was scheduled to leave Vancouver at 9:05am and passengers sat on plane for 4+ hours receiving multiple excuses from Sunwing as to why we hadn't departed: "We are waiting for 4 passengers / We are waiting for a cabin member / We are having mechanical issues / We need to de-ice the plane." The excuses kept changing and throughout the 4+ hour wait, Sunwing did not offer any beverage service or even water. Upon departure, at 12:50pm, we had to stop in Victoria to pick up additional passengers, in which the pilot made a special apology to the Victoria passengers "sorry for the wait", but with no thank you / apology to those from Vancouver who had sat there patiently for hours, parched and hungry. What was supposed to be a simple 5 hour flight ended up being an entire day, nearly 11 hours on an airplane with no regard to passenger care. Sunwing should have stepped up and at the bare minimum acknowledge the delay and provide beverages to those from Vancouver. Would definitely not use this airline again and their "champagne service" is a joke! Sunwing should focus on quality service instead of offering cheap champagne in plastic cups.
RouteYVR to SJD via YYJ
Date FlownDecember 2016

"most uncomfortable flight ever"

Verified Review | Edmonton to Cabo. I thought a charter wouldn't be much different than a mainstream airline. However, really bad start when I was singled out to weigh my carry-on. I had a normal sized carry-on that weighed 8 kgs. Apparently Sunwings maximum weight for carry-on is 5kgs. All other airlines are much higher. My girlfriends carry-on was much larger in size and weighed 20.2 lbs, but they never weighed hers? There were many people with large carry-ons that never were weighed. I'm not complaining about the cost as there was none to check it but I had packed it as I needed some items in my carry on. Next, was the space between the seats. I'm 6' and 195lbs, so fairly normal and it was the most uncomfortable flight ever. I don't know how larger people survived the flight. Later someone told me that they modified the airplane to get more seats on it. You better take a ipad with a downloaded movie as they still have the drop down screens from the 1980's. Our 6 days at the resort were great, the two flying were something I would like to forget.
RouteEdmonton to Cabo

"zero customer service"

Verified Review | Toronto to Vancouver return. Disappointing and frustration overload. Excellent aircraft but zero customer service. No 24 hour prior to flight check in, it's on their site but does not work until between 4 hours and 90 minutes from flight so everyone arrives at the airport 4 hours prior to flight to get a decent seat. Flight was late taking off but that is common - landed in Vancouver and waited in the plane for 40 mins before getting to the gate. No baggage came out for a full 2 hours and 50 mins later, there was a rep there finally, I asked her if she was from SunWing and she said yah but that she was only a counter agent. She just stared at her phone when I asked here where the hundred some odd people's luggage was. Missed the sea bus and transit links to my car. Cost me 80 dollars in cab fare.
RouteYYZ to YVR