Sunwing Airlines

"It is not worth the savings"

Verified Review | Terrible service. Flight was to depart from Vancouver at 11.15pm and was delayed until 4am. They refused to offer accommodations or a flight change. Only offered a $10 voucher for food on a flight that is overnight. After all of the inconvenience they still gave my daughter a hard time for having 1.5lbs over for her carry on baggage and told us we needed to be charged to check it. Do not book with this airline to save a few hundred dollars! It is not worth the savings!
RouteVancouver to Toronto
Date FlownJuly 2017

"just seem to care about your money"

Verified Review | Flew Vancouver to Toronto with Sunwing. All fine print/policy needs to be reviewed with this airline, there are fees for everything. They will sell you tickets with lower prices than the competition then charge you for your carry-on. This makes the cost a little more expensive than other airlines. Plane was 1.5 hour delayed. Staff are friendly, some are smarmy. They just seem to care about your money. No free onboard entertainment. Food is costly and below average. Their staff and policy needs some human touch. I felt cheated and ripped off.
RouteVancouver to Toronto
Date FlownJuly 2017

"In a phrase, flyer beware"

Verified Review | Toronto to Orlando. Less expensive doesn't mean better. When booking a flight to Orlando, Florida from Toronto Canada for my sister and I, we researched several different travel options. Ultimately, we selected Sunwing Airlines based on its convenient flight times as well as being the most cost-effective. Unfortunately, the flight times were the only convenience that we would experience from a flight perspective. On departure day, we followed the online procedures for printing our boarding passes but were unable to which resulted in us having to stand in line at the airport. So much for convenience! Once we arrived at the gate, we discovered that the flight crew were running late but that was only the start of what would amount to a lengthy delay in the neighborhood of an hour and a half. Apparently, a family was held up in customs so the airline was grounded until he and his family arrived. After their arrival, we took off and finally arrived at our destination over 45 minutes late. On our return flight, we were once again unable to print out our boarding passes online and were forced to wait an hour for Sunwing customer support, while representatives stood around aimlessly conversing amongst themselves. Additionally, we had to weigh our carry-on baggage and were assessed an overage fee. During departure, our bags were not weighed and we didn't have to pay. Based on these unforeseen charges we elected to check our carry-on luggage for an additional $62 dollars. These were fees we did not anticipate. The hour that we lost at the check-in to simply collect our boarding passes that weren't available online caused us to stand in an extremely long security line.  Luckily, we left our hotel over three hours from our scheduled departure time. In the end, based on the additional charges that Sunwing applied the flight ended up costing us more than flying with a more well-known airline like Air Canada. Not to mention that the charges were in US dollars so with the exchange rate it was much more than we ever wanted to spend. In a phrase, flyer beware!
RouteToronto to Orlando
Date FlownApril 2017

"never flying Sunwing again"

Verified Review | Vancouver to Puerto Vallarta. So I've flown all inclusive with Sunwing before and haven't been very impressed, but this time they have really "outdone" themselves and not in a good way. We were booked for an all inclusive trip to Mexico scheduled to leave Vancouver May 5th at 5pm and arrive in Puerto Vallarta at 11pm. They just informed us today that our flights have been changed so that we will be now leaving at 9pm getting to the hotel around 3am. We don't get out hotel room until May 6th, at 3pm the next day. So what exactly are we supposed to do at the hotel in the early morning with no room to check into? I have been on many all inclusive trips and I understands that flights do change, but I have never before arrived at hotel 12 hours before being able to check in, in the middle of the night. We called Sunwing to complain and their response was that they changed the flight for "business reasons" and there is nothing they can do for us, we can cancel and reschedule the vacation (not an option, we are meeting friends there and have had planned this trip for months). We asked about getting a room when we get there and they said sure if you want to pay the hotel and extra $150 to book the room for that night. After this experience and the lack of willingness to accommodate for the inconvenience, we will definitely never be flying with Sunwing again.
RouteVancouver to Puerto Vallarta
Date FlownApril 2017

"service is downright awful"

Verified Review | Toronto to Varadero. When in line to check in you should not question 14 of us that this is the Elite line, we paid for this service, which I might add gives you nothing. When checking in your staff could try and be a little bit more pleasant, smile, talk! When on the flight your staff could be a little bit more happier, and perhaps let the people whom really need to use the washroom use it. Please tell me what, if anything, is going on behind that little curtain that will not allow people to use the washroom? Your service is downright awful.
Aircraft?
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteToronto to Varadero
Date FlownApril 2017

"great ending to a wonderful holiday"

Verified Review | We flew March 18th from Edmonton to Cancun. We were delayed from leaving because of the heavy traffic in Cancun, which our captain explained to us. We left a little later but no big deal. The crew was awesome and so was the flight. We left to come home on the 25th and once again, it was a great flight. The crew was courteous, even humorous at times and gave us any info we may have needed to ensure a safe and prompt flight. Thank you to the captain, and crew for a great flight. All flights should have the staff that we did. It was a great ending to a wonderful holiday.
RouteEdmonton to Cancun
Date FlownMarch 2017

"flight had been changed again"

Verified Review | We arrived to the check-in gate on-time at 1:40pm. They hadn't even bothered to put up the flight info on the screen until 2:00pm. I was asked by numerous other customers if it was the correct gate to be standing in. We all waited in line for over an hour and half without any notification as too what the delay was. The Sunwing reps were all standing around laughing and having a good time while all the passengers waited in line sweating and hot. I know it was Punta Cana and very hot but If we had known there was going to be such a delay, we would have got out of the line and sat down where it was more comfortable. Finally after such a long wait we found out that the plane was on the tarmac and luggage loaded but they had no pilot. They suggested that we take a seat and wait around for another hour while they figure out what the issue was. We were finally told the flight was going to be moved to 2:30 and would arrive back in Toronto for 7am. They sent us to a hotel for few hours. We finally arrived at the hotel 5:30pm to find out that the flight had been changed again and we wouldn't be arriving into Toronto till 9am now. So we get back to the airport and on the flight information screens it says our plane is going to Saint John's instead of Toronto. The one bonus of a flight that early is that we were the only plane leaving and was a very quiet airport. The downfall is that Sunwing can't even get the plane out on time when its the only plane on the departures. While on flight, they offered us a complementary ham and cheese sandwich. I know why it was complimentary, as it tasted like the sandwiches that were supposed to be on our original flight. We ended up finally getting into Toronto at 9:40 am.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteToronto to Punta Cana

"attendants surpassed expectations"

Verified Review | Montego Bay to Sault Ste. Marie. Very happy with Sunwing. Read reviews and was afraid but now after flying with Sunwing I love the staff. Flight attendants surpassed expectations. Polite and happy. Sunwing will have my business anytime. Can't wait for our next family trip. =
RouteMontego Bay to Sault Ste. Marie
Date FlownMarch 2017

"ship us all via buses "

Verified Review | Windsor to Cancun. So we arrived in Windsor this morning to catch our flight to Cancun. All of Sunwing Airlines sites said the plane was on time. The plane circled the airport for 45 minutes due to poor weather and then flew on to Toronto. Instead of waiting for the weather to clear, some genius decided to ship us all via buses from Windsor to Toronto to meet up with the plane. So after sitting all day in the airport we are now on a bus headed to Toronto. For good measure they throw in a couple boxes or "snacks​" for the trip. Before boarding the bus, they announced all flighta into Toronto had been cancelled. Also the news has reported the eastbound lanes of the 301 are shut down. I'm not really excited to be driving in a bus in poor weather to catch a plan that is most likely going to be cancelled. To top this all off, when contacting Sunwing Airlines, because there is no representation at the Windsor airport, the rep said there will be no reimbursement because flight times always change. I'm sorry but this isn't just a flight time change. We are driving to a whole other airport for godsakes! The last thing that totally infuriates me is that there are several people with walkers and wheel chairs. How the hell did you expect to get them on the bus? Trust me, this was not thought about. If I was anyone of those poor people I'd be even made upset. I'd love to see Sunwing step up and rectify this situation, but I'm not holding my breath!
RouteWindsor to Cancun
Date FlownMarch 2017

"the flights were torture"

Verified Review | Calgary to Punta Cana return. Overcrowded small aircraft not made for longer distances, dirty plastic seats that have no space for legs. I'm 5'10 and had 1 inch free standing straight. Never mind reclining. Return, they mentioned a technical stop. For some economic reason they would not disclose they made a flight that should have lasted 6.5 hours into 10 hours by stopping in Toronto. Same bad conditions. No free service. No free meals, no assistance. The worst flight of my life, and I go a lot. So although the Sunwing vacation (resort) was great - the flights were torture, and I would be hesitant to book again. Would probably spend at least another 200$ or more for a different airline. Note: many tried to book "elite" for same reason. the elite has 6 seats at the emergency exit that have more space but are super uncomfortable. Again, too small a plane for those distances. Severely need upgrade to a larger jet or more comfy arrangements, including free meals if flight is over 6 hours.
RouteCalgary to Punta Cana