South African Airways

South African Airways customer review

LHR-CPT-LHR in business. The service was exceptionally bad. IFE very old the loop system meaning we had to wait until the film we wanted to watch had finished before we could view it. SAA say the seats are 180 degrees flat but that is not the case . The flight back wasn't much better and aircraft was older. The only good point was the quality of wine but otherwise very disappointing.

South African Airways customer review

I've travelled with SAA for 10 years the service is still okay but it is getting increasingly patchy - the price is still at the upper end of the range. The current A340's used for the Cape Town route are a bit dated and seats were fairly uncomfortable (no seat back entertainment systems). The food is generally better (although the outward flight ran out of wine fairly soon after service). The staff are so so - some crew are good others fairly indifferent. On the overnight flight there was a noticeable tendency of individual crew members taking 20+ minutes to change and put on make-up etc in the bathrooms - which is a bit of a cheek! I wouldn't rule out flying with SAA but it's not what it used to be.

South African Airways customer review

LHR-JNB return. I did quite a lot of research before booking these flights checking seat configurations were 2-4-2 and even calling SAA to double check that I could pre reserve seats. After booking I was able to reserve seats on both legs the staff at London reservations were polite and very helpful allocating our preferred seats and even sending a revised itinerary with our seat numbers confirmed. However on checking in we found we had no seats reserved though fortunately we did manage to get window and aisle for the outward leg. I spoke to the service desk at Heathrow to check our seats for the return would still be ok and was assured they would be. On checking in at JNB for our return we were allocated middle row seats when I pointed out that we had reserved seats the clerk showed no interest at all. He told us the flight was full and there were no other seats available however when we boarded the plane we found that there were plenty of empty seats in fact the row in front of us had just one person to 4 seats. The dishonesty and lack of customer care is just staggering.

South African Airways customer review

Munich-JNB business class. Quite a pleasant experience. Comfortable lie flat seat good entertainment and good food served by very pleasant and efficient staff. Definitely a superior business class. I would definitely fly them again and prefer it over Lufthansa - which I am using on my return journey.

South African Airways customer review

DAR-JHB-WDH and back. All flights punctual efficient check in great seat comfort in Economy good food and friendly service.

(China)

DUR-JNB-HKG. Seat pitch is better than most other carriers. The onboard entertainment was up to date and worked. Seats comfortable and food excellent. B737-800 in near new condition and A340-600 was better. Flight was quite empty so people could move around and most had an empty seat next to them. I kept my emergency exit seats (row 45) which where great. The pilots on both flights gave up to date information on weather in route.

(China)

HKG-JNB-DUR last month A340-300 and 737-800. The entertainment system was great and food good. The best part was the service onboard - staff interacted just enough to make you feel welcome but never intruded. Joburg airport was a breeze with bag drop working. Flight from Joburg to Durban just as good and was upgraded to business class which was great.

(South Africa)

Last time I travelled SAA all was fine except that an age restricted movie was shown (early show) which I could not protect my children (aged 3 and 5) from seeing as they were right in front of the screen and there were no personal tv sets. I was upset about this and complained to the cabin attendants but they said there was nothing they could do. I am due to fly with my children again in July this year on the A340-200 aircraft (no personal TVs) and I will be very upset if the same thing happens. Surely it must be illegal to show an age restricted movie to under-age minors that cannot stopped from seeing the screen when it is right in front of them? Especially when it is gun violence! I would like to support SAA but I feel strongly that there must be a policy on age restricted movies particularly for the early show.

South African Airways customer review

Star Alliance members should avoid this airline as they do not award miles at the same level as other Star Alliance members give little priority if at all to Star Alliance Gold members and generally provide poor service for flights to and from the US. Nothing but hassles at the Johannesburg airport when checking in items stolen from my luggage that they insisted I check. Also could not understand why they kept seating people beside me when most of the last 10-15 rows were fully empty. Bring extra food because they don't want to feed you.

South African Airways customer review

LHR to CPT (via JNB) return. All was well on the outbound flight. Food good quality although in very small portions for business class. Flight attendants friendly and professional. Lie flat bed was comfortable but your feet seemed to be higher than your head. Return was delayed due to closure of Heathrow in the December snowstorm. SAA could not have done less to help their passengers. We were left to make our own arrangements for accommodation and meals for three days. The website gave incorrect information as did the helpline in Johannesburg. The staff at Cape Town were impolite and unhelpful. They tried to send me home to London via Frankfurt even though Frankfurt was also closed. Nearly six weeks later they have not replied to emails asking for assistance with making a claim on my personal insurance policy. This airline does nothing but the barest minimum to assist passengers when things go wrong. Their attitude is "we will put you on a flight eventually but in the meantime you are on your own".