SAS Scandinavian

"ridiculous to charge €3 for a bottle of water"

Verified Review | Flew Amsterdam to Hong Kong via Stockholm. No problems with seating and the service in general. Only think it's ridiculous to charge €3 for a bottle of water on a 11 hour flight. Did not expect this when booking a star Alliance flight. Only free coffee and tea served twice. Will never choose SAS again for an intercontinental flight.
RouteAmsterdam to Hong Kong via Stockholm
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"non-flight and lying by SAS"

(Latvia)

Verified Review | This is a review of a non-flight and lying by SAS on August 30 that led to me, my husband and our son losing a day of our travel to the New York area. We were to fly with SAS from Riga to Stockholm and then on with SAS to Newark. As we arrived to drop our baggage, it was clear that the SAS flight scheduled for 11.10 had been pushed back to 1200 and we would not make the connection. We asked what could be done and the ground staff in Riga said that SAS was working on re-booking us. Then the flight was pushed back to 13.00. My husband called SAS and they said that if we flew with the delayed flight, something would be rebooked for us in Stockholm, possibly on a different airline and that if we had to stay overnight, SAS would either provide accommodation or reimburse us. They said if they rebooked us to JFK and we submitted a taxi receipt for transport to Newark where we had a rental car waiting, they would reimburse the cost. After a while, the gate agent where the delayed flight was supposed to depart said that we would be rerouted with Air Baltic to Rekyavik and then on with Icelandair to Newark arriving at 19.00, a reasonable time. As some of the passangers started getting their new boarding passes, the gate agent said that my husband and our son and I would be routed from Riga to Rekyavik then to Minneapolis then to Newark arriving after midnight. As we have to drive about an hour to our hotel, this was unacceptable and we were rebooked to a United Airlines flight the next day. The gate agent, speaking for SAS, said that we would not be offered accommodation by SAS or reimbursement for such since we had declined to take their "USA by night" tour through Minneapolis. I think that this offer was, in fact, part of a lie by SAS, since they led us to believe we would get to Newark direct from Rekyavik and should not have been surprised that we declined. SAS is an unreliable airline with misleading customer service, even if the Air Baltic gate agent acting on their behalf was cordial and helpful.
RouteRiga to Newark via Stockholm

"favorable SAS experience"

Verified Review | Newark to Copenhagen. My wife and I recently concluded a round trip with SAS, and were extremely satisfied with the service, food and entertainment. SAS has a lounge in both Newark and Copenhagen, which offer a nice selection of food and drink. Their plane departed on time, was clean, had plenty of legroom in SAS Plus, offered plenty of refreshments, and great on-board entertainment. Our favorable SAS experience was equivalent to Lufthansa's excellent service. The only negative I can think of was the occasional difficulty reaching SAS on their 800 number. The best bet is to call them early in the morning when they open.
RouteNewark to Copenhagen
Date FlownAugust 2017

"needs attention and major improvement"

Verified Review | Dublin via Stockholm-Arlanda to Helsinki and return as it was a cheaper option by €70 than the direct route out of DUB. First sector was beset by problems and delays. Firstly, upon an inspection of the aircraft there was a technical issue with the emergency lighting and passengers waited almost 30 Minutes on a staircase before information was relayed to them and were requested to return and wait at the gate seating area. Secondly, after boarding the captain informed us that due to the earlier issue we'd missed our slot and that there would be ATC restrictions. He also added that there was a computer malfunction at Dublin Airport and we had to wait until this was resolved. Eventually, we departed at 13:30 (scheduled departure time of 11:50). This gave us an exceedingly tight transfer time at ARN for the flight to HEL. Originally, we should have had two hours to make the transfer; this being significantly reduced. However, upon approach to Stockholm after the captain had informed us we'd be landing in 10 minutes, I noticed this timeframe had elapsed and were now circulating over the airport and city for a time. It turned out that the airport was temporarily shut due to a drone in the area. We eventually landed at 17:00 - 1.5 hours behind schedule. Fortunately, due to the drone incident our Helsinki flight was delayed to 18:30 which gave us ample time to make the connection. All other flights were uneventful and flights on the return sector left and arrived on time. I've flown with SAS on 6 flights in the last year and have found their attendants and pilots to be professional, welcoming and competent but their aircraft worn, dated and tired. All four flights were on Boeing 737-600/700 series aircraft which were 17, 13, 19 & 15 years in the fleet. Time for modernisation. Their menu card is extremely limited in food choice and way over priced for what you get. Tea/coffee/water is complementary and everything else extortionately charged: €17 for a small beer, sandwich & pack of potato chips. Overall, they are a decent airline but certain elements of their product needs attention and major improvement.
AircraftBoeing 737-600/700
RouteDublin to Helsinki via Stockholm
Date FlownAugust 2017

"overall I'm not impressed"

(Italy)

Verified Review | Milan to Stavanger via Copenhagen, roundtrip. First time with SAS Scandinavian, overall I'm not impressed. Except for the first leg, flown on a A320neo, the other legs of the trip were flown on old airliners: nothing wrong with them, except for the fact that the interiors looked very aged and unclean. No meal service was included in my ticket, other airlines, however, still offer some bottled water and a small snack. SAS just offer a glass of water (not the entire bottle) or a cup of coffee or tea, everything else is offered for a fee (coffee was even pretty bad) Two out of the four legs were delayed; luckily the connections were spaced enough not to lose any flight. Overall I would not recommend this airline over another one, actually, some low costs are even better.
AircraftA320neo, A320, CRJ900, A321
RouteMilan to Stavanger via Copenhagen

"food was fantastic"

Verified Review | Chicago to Stockholm. Really great flight. This is more first than business in my view. The SAS crew was fab and love what they are doing by the look of it. The food was fantastic. They offered a menu with good variation. After a good meal it was time to take a nap. The bed was really comfortable as well.
RouteChicago to Stockholm

"I received an upgrade"

(Iceland)

Verified Review | I booked a flight between Reykjavik and HongKong via Oslo and Stockholm and Shanghai to Gothenburg via Copenhagen. I was satisfied in my experience with SAS. The intra-nordic flights were all good experience. The new food concept of SAS PLUS is an improvement over the food that was before. Also the service with additional drink and snack offering has improved. Stockholm to HongKong suffered a 80 minute delay which almost made me to lose my onward connection to Singapore. Luckily I had already checked my luggage through, so the Singapore airline ground crew was aware and booked me on the next available flight. On the flight between Stockholm and Hong Kong I received an upgrade to Business which was a nice surprise on this long over-night trip to Hong Kong. The return flight in SAS Plus was very pleasant. Food was good and the cabin crew very supportive and attentive in providing drinks and snacks even between the main meal services. Free WIFI is slow but seems to work now even over Chinese airspace. Another negative aspect was the slow baggage delivery in Gothenburg (priority luggage was delivered last).
AircraftA330 / A340 / A320
RouteReykjavik to HongKong via Oslo, Stockholm

"this was terrible"

Verified Review | Berlin Tegel to Copenhagen. I like SAS in general. But this was terrible. The problem was the plane and its seats are dated. The seats were so used that you were like sliding to the middle. This meant that both me and the gentleman sitting next to me spent the flight trying to seat in our own seats. The staff were nice though.
AircraftATR
RouteBerlin Tegel to Copenhagen
Date FlownAugust 2017

"seats have direct aisle access"

Verified Review | Copenhagen to Chicago. SAS has a fantastic business class product for long distance flights. I love the fact that all seats have direct aisle access. The food was fab and staff amazing. I also like the buffet bar. Never got the WiFi to work though and gave up on that.
RouteCopenhagen to Chicago
Date FlownAugust 2017

"SAS attendants are always nice"

Verified Review | Flew London Heathrow to Copenhagen. I really miss the old SAS Business Class in Europe. They used to be ace. Then they had the horrid idea of scrapping it. Now they offer this hybrid product. It is however really good, the food is good, SAS attendants are always nice. The only thing that is different to european business is that the middle seat is not empty. This is really irritating.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Copenhagen