SAS Scandinavian

Review by (Sweden) 26th July 2015

GOT-NCE and return. Chose SAS only for the nonstop flight. Overall, the flight was nothing to write home about. SAS charge you like a full-service carrier but offer low cost service. To me there is really no difference between SAS and Ryanair appart from the fact that SAS let's you check a bag for "free". Water, snacks, beverages (except coffee and tea) are priced rather heavily . Would advise anyone to buy it at the airport and bring it onboard. Flight attendants pleasant from GOT-NCE. On the return flight the crew consisted of the typical disinterested older ladies, one of which was downright rude. They hid in the galley for most of the trip. Seats were comfortable for a 2,5 hrs flight and the online check-in with mobile boaring passes worked really well. Both flights arrived on time. Due to previous experiences with SAS, I haven't flown them for quite some time. And I won't be for the near future either. Spend your money elsewhere. There are better airlines that give you more bang for your buck (Lufthansa, British Airways). There are also other airlines who offer the same service as SAS, but for the half the price.
RouteGothenburg to Nice

Review by (United States) 23rd July 2015

This airline got us safely from one destination to the next which I am grateful for. The space was on par with most airlines, and I enjoyed having the selection of movies. However, I couldn't believe that they were charging for water and other beverages, snacks, etc. This was a Transatlantic flight and I was completely horrified when the flight attendant told me that only coffee or tea was "free." These two beverages are very dehydrating, and every flight I've ever been on always provides the flyer with water free of charge. The flight attendants were very unfriendly as well. They seemed bothered by any of the passengers' requests. I hope to not have to fly this airline again, and am extremely disappointed in what I thought would be a reputable line.
RouteRome to New York via Copenhagen

Review by (United States) 20th July 2015

Upon landing in Copenhagen, we had to climb down the steep airplane steps to the ground since the plane was not taken to the airport gate. I am handicapped and it was a very difficult climb. My husband went to the baggage handler to retrieve my electric scooter. I asked another baggage handler where the lift/elevator to the airport was located. His reply was "you are not handicapped", I explained that I was, indeed, handicapped and unable to walk a distance. He refused to assist my husband to carry the electric scooter up the steep stairs into the Copenhagen airport! My husband had to lift it by himself and I had to slowly climb the steps in to the airport before I could drive my scooter. This incident was extremely disrespectful and inappropriate as I should have been directed to an elevator to ride to the upper level of the airport from the outside where the plane had landed. I was embarrassed by this rude incident.
RouteMUC to CPH

Review by (United States) 20th July 2015

We flew round trip coach from San Francisco to Copenhagen and bought our tickets 7 months in advance for $1,450 each. There were 12 of us flying under 3 separate reservations. Customer service over the phone was marginal depending on who you got, sometimes they were friendly, other times either too busy to care or rude. Check in was fast, friendly and efficient. Mechanical issues prevented us from boarding the plane and we were four hours delayed from departure. There was a mild apology given by the captain but not any discounts nor free drinks on the flight. Our plane seemed dated but was clean. Individual entertainment systems on the back of each seat are the worst I’ve experienced. Only a third of the published opportunities worked and the movies are on a loop with no pause nor start. Audio was terrible. Food quality was far less than average. The flight was smooth and we arrived at our destination safely. Return: Pre-flight online check-in was easier for our group. At the Copenhagen terminal once inside, it was not easy to understand what line to enter to begin your process as their signage could be improved. Boarding was efficient and on time. This plane appeared to be even older than the first one. I believe it was an Airbus A340? Entertainment systems and screen illumination were even worse than our first flight! Food was awful. But on the other side the service was good (if that even helps). A very long flight of almost 11 hours, all during daylight. I was not satisfied with our experience and I thought it was poor value.
RouteSFO to CHH

Review by (Finland) 4th July 2015

One meal option for the dinner, you pay for all drinks, second meal 'snack' is very tiny. Unfriendly staff. Movies are shown in cycles so it is difficult to start watching one from the start. Only reason I use SAS is their Star Alliance partnership so I have their frequent flyer card to earn points from Singapore Airlines, Lufthansa and other carriers.
RouteHEL to SFO via CPH

Review by (Denmark) 3rd July 2015

Is it me or are former first class airlines morphing into 'Low Cost Carriers'? Well it certainly felt like it when travelling 'Plus' class with SAS from Heathrow T2 to Copenhagen T3 on a Thursday afternoon. Although the passenger enjoys certain advantages in 'Plus' this is lost during the actual journey. Crammed together in seats the same as economy, there was no spare middle seat, and the tight pitch revealed itself when the person in front of me reclined his seat. I mean if one is paying extra it should manifest in a more comfortable passage.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLondon to Copenhagen

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

The worst airline I have booked a flight with. They didn't inform anyone the flight was cancelled. A 3 hour wait in line just to speak with a representative and ultimately we found out they were on strike. Yet they issued boarding passes. Avoid this airline or it will cost you as it did me. Booking another flight at the last minute is never cheap.
RouteCopenhagen to Paris

Review by (United States) 1st July 2015

The service for wheelchair assisted passengers is horrible. After checking in, they had us wait for hours. They kept saying they had called for assistance but nobody came. We decided to start walking slowly to our gate. We saw an airport employee who had a wheelchair so we begged her to let my mother use the wheelchair. She was kind enough to assist. Another issue was choosing a seat. I made sure I purchased our seat from the Scandinavian Airlines website. Upon booking, there was no option to choose a seat even with an additional fee which we were willing to pay. I went ahead and booked our flight and called the airline. They advised me to check in early and request the seat upon check-in. Our flight was scheduled to depart at 11.30pm and as early as 5pm we had checked in our baggage. At the check in counter, I inquired again about requesting an aisle seat, but they told me they could not do it and I had to request it at the gate. We were sitting at the gate hours before they opened and when I spoke to two SAS employees, they told me I could not change seats. It's is ridiculous that there is no way to make this simple request. We have been traveling with different airlines and this was the first unbelievable experience from wheelchair assist to seat request.
RouteNewark to Copenhagen

Review by (United States) 28th June 2015

Tried for two days to contact SAS. Their website was down the entire weekend. On top of that, their customer service number did not open on time on Sunday, June 28. Called 23 times from 9:00 ETD to 9:28 EDT, only to get a recording that their office is now closed. Yet, their recording said they should have been open from 9-7 on sunday. Poor customer service, poor website, and no back up reservation number to contact airline.
RouteWashington to Copenhagen

Review by (Sweden) 26th June 2015

I was pleasantly surprised by the refurbished cabin. Changed from a 2-2-2 seat configuration in Business class to a 1-2-1 configuration, SAS has taken a huge leap forward in terms of the product for premium passengers. Seats now full flat, all with aisle access. Excellent service with a great variety of food. Breakfast had a very good choice of options. The new cabin lighting offers a special feeling. Free wifi works but can be slow sometimes. When all their long haul fleet is renovated (at present A330's have been refurbished) SAS will offer a very competitive product on their intercontinental routes.
RouteNewark to Stockholm