Airline of the Year

SAS Scandinavian

"did not even serve free peanuts"

(Sweden)

Verified Review | Trip to Stockholm from Brussels. 1h30 delay for a 1h50 flight. Got served a hot tea with some residues inside, because the teabag was broken. I did not mind about that, at that point I was thinking of the bus connection I lost in Stockholm because of the delay. Stewardess was expressionless, I tried to take a smile out of her but to no avail. They did not even serve free peanuts. So what is the point of the airline really? Does it try to become Ryanair? There's nothing wrong with that, but if that is the case, why aren't the tickets appropriately priced? On a positive note, the airplane was clean and the seats were nice with a lot of legroom.
RouteBrussels to Stockholm
Date FlownMay 2017

"Business class hard product is top-notch"

(Iceland)

Verified Review | I am very impressed with Scandinavian airlines. As I am a regular traveler between Iceland and China/Korea my usual choice is going by SAS. Nevertheless on this flight from Shanghai Pudong to Copenhagen I was particularly impressed. First I was upgraded for free from economy "Go" class to SAS Business, which really pleasantly surprised me. I have to state at this point that I am a Eurobonus Gold member, nevertheless it is uncommon to be upgraded two tiers at once. On board SAS Business I really appreciated the treatment by SAS flight attendants. They did an excellent job. Despite severe turbulence on the first half of the flight they managed to serve all passengers in a very welcoming way. They gave good recommendations and were very straight forward with me as a passenger. Of course Business class hard product is top-notch, so nothing to complain here as well. The selection of movies was great and I even managed to get some good amount of work done. Well done, SAS!
RouteShanghai to Stockholm via Copenhagen
Date FlownMay 2017

"Very good impression from SAS"

(Poland)

Verified Review | Brussels to Vilnius via Copenhagen. Although it was possible for me to fly Brussels to Vilnius directly, I decided to take Scandinavian flight via Copenhagen, as it was cheaper. After checking-in online, I chose several times an option to send a boarding pass via phone, but I did not work. So I decided to print one at BRU airport. On flight to CPH I was pleased by the look of the cabin - spacious, in nice blue colors and equipped with very comfortable Recaro seats. On this particular flight I encountered the nicest flight crew, stewardesses were extremely polite and attentive and smiling. Great plus for that. On this short early morning hop tea and coffee was served. Arrived at CPH on time and there I had a very long stopover. In a meantime went to SAS transfer center to receive a pass for flight to VNO. Again very polite staff helped me with that. Before boarding for CPH-VNO the automatic pass scanner at the gate was broken and the ground crew was checking us manually, but it went quickly. The flight on ageing CRJ900 was also good. Quickly served drinks from nice staff, and we arrived on time. Very good impression from SAS.
AircraftA320 / CRJ900
RouteBRU to VNO via CPH
Date FlownApril 2017

"one of the worst business class"

Verified Review | Hong Kong to London via Stockholm, and this was one of the worst business class we've travelled on. Our special diet meals were repeated for both lunch and dinner and the food was terrible. Our connecting flight was delayed so luggage didn't come with the flight to London and no one had the courtesy to inform 35 passengers on that flight that luggage will not be arriving. Avoid travelling with this airline because it's not worth your hard earned money.
RouteHong Kong to London via Stockholm

"exceeded my expectations"

Verified Review | Chicago to Frankfurt via Copenhagen. Very good flight in premium economy, seat 23A. The new SAS cabins look great: in fact, one of the nicest I have seen. Food was good quality. Crew was very professional and friendly. Entertainment system felt modern and worked well. This flight exceeded my expectations.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteChicago to Frankfurt via Copenhagen
Date FlownApril 2017

"Service is standard but sufficient"

Verified Review | Newark to Amsterdam via Stockholm. Both flights were on time and went smoothly. Unfortunately that we sat separated from each other and sat on the tail part of the plane. My seat was slightly misaligned with the seats up front, but had tons of space (more legroom and arm space) as there is no seat on my right hand side. Service is standard and no wow factor, but sufficient.
AircraftA330-300 / Boeing 737-800
RouteNewark to Amsterdam via Stockholm

"friendly flights attendants"

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Newark via Copenhagen. Both flights departed on time and arrived earlier than scheduled. Smooth ride and no significant turbulence during the flights. The cabin is standard. SAS has equipped their long haul aircraft with IFE's and plenty go legroom. The choice on IFE is limited but sufficient. No choice of menu, alcoholic beverages are available for sale on board, but free refill on tea or coffee. The meals tasted good and decently served with (not too flimsy) plastic cutlery. In general, the service is good, professional and friendly flights attendants. I will definitely fly with them again.
AircraftBoeing 737-800 / A330-300
RouteAmsterdam to Newark via Copenhagen

"friendly onboard crew"

(Sweden)

Verified Review | Stockholm to Los Angeles. The check in and boarding process was very flexible. Easy check in at the SAS self service kiosk. After receiving my boarding pass and bag tag I went to bag drop. The staff was very friendly and helped me by giving me information regarding the flight. The security process ran as expected and after some waiting time i was through. The flight time was 11 hours. I believe that whatever the class you fly in it will still be a bit hard to survive. A bunch of friendly onboard crew, the food wasn´t much but considering on what I paid for the ticket i was still satisfied. I noticed the details. You have a personal screen, the staff onboard served me regular water, I had my own bottle of water, blanket, earphones, and a menu of what you can buy onboard. Also good internet connection. My luggage arrived without a scratch, so also a cred to SAS ground services.
AircraftA330-300
RouteStockholm to Los Angeles
Date FlownApril 2017

"SAS become a budget carrier"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Stockholm return. We flew SAS for 7 legs in March. Generally, the inland flights and short international flights (ARN-OSL) are fine. But Hong Kong to Stockholm was delayed for 3.5 hours, so that all connecting flights are re-routed and still we barely made it. The baggage didn't make it and was delayed for 16 hours. When we checked with ground staff in Tromso, they seemed to know nothing regarding the whereabouts of our baggage. They said we can wait 2 hours for the next flight and we did. Our baggage was not on the carousel and we checked with them again. Then after some walking around they said it will be on the plane the next day morning, but the delivery people won't pick it up before 4:30 pm the next day and we were given the choice of coming back to pick it up at our own cost. We ended up getting our baggage sent to our hotel at 6 pm. First off, the ground staff should allow more transfer time when re-routing our connecting flights. Second, I can't see, in this age how those people at Tromso not know where our baggage is and when it will arrive. Then on the inbound flight SK963 ARN-HKG, the captain said the cargo cabin door was broken after boarding is completed. Then for 3 hours, we were stuck on the plane with no food provided and no heat. Every 30 minutes, the captain updated with something like the technicians were still checking and he had no further info. At last, the damage needed to be fixed by someone from Airbus HQ in Toulouse and SAS is not attempting to switch us to another aircraft or re-route us at all. The flight was delayed for 24 hours. And if you have anything important to do, too bad, because you shouldn't have chosen SAS at all. The funny thing is, even though the flight was delayed for 24 hours, we still had to wait for them to load the containers after all passengers were boarded. About 30 minutes after the flight's scheduled time, the captain made an announcement again, saying the containers were loaded in the wrong order and had to be re-loaded again. All in all, SAS sounds like a joke. On SK963 and SK964, only 1 non-alcoholic drink is provided for free throughout the 10-hour flight. On shorter flights, only coffee, tea or water is provided for free. You may want to stock up on snacks before boarding. Since when has SAS become a budget carrier?
RouteOslo to Hong Kong via Stockholm
Date FlownMarch 2017

"lacks the edible component"

(Denmark)

Verified Review | Copenhagen to Aalborg. Flying with SAS was a pleasant experience. The overall rating I'm giving is 9 of 10, because something edible is missing. A nice Scandinavian whole grain bun with something in it would be super! When flying domestic in Sweden I usually fly BRA, because of their inflight service. It's not just the cost of the bun but also the value of the atmosphere it creates in the cabin, when the staff is given a pretty simple tool to give service to the guests. Coffee / tea is fine - and better than nothing - but it lacks the edible component. Flying Norwegian on the other hand - with no service what so ever, and thus no atmosphere in the cabin - is a no go for me.
RouteCopenhagen to Aalborg