SAS Scandinavian

"every year is worst than the previous one"

(Italy)

Verified Review | I've flown a several times with SAS and I have to say every year is worst than the previous one. The service from Tromsø to Rome via Oslo / Zurich was very basic, there is no snack on the board but they "offer" only coffee and tee for free. I can't even imagine that SAS is a flag carrier because their behavior is exactly the one used by all the low cost companies. The worst part is the "SAS go Light", they offer you to travel with "lower" price without checked luggage, but actually the price is not much more lower.
RouteTromsø to Rome via Oslo / Zurich
Date FlownJune 2017

"SAS is definitely the worst"

(Norway)

Verified Review | Berlin to Trondheim via Oslo. I fly with SAS frequently since I live in Norway and it is the only alternative of Star Alliance companies when moving around Europe. Compared to the others of the alliance SAS is definitely the worst. I cannot recount how many times flights are delayed for more than 40 minutes. Service is at a lower standard than even low-cost or charter flights. The planes are old and smelly. Above all, SAS is an expensive airline, and combining this with the provided service and the quality of the aircrafts warrants it as one of the worst value-for-money. Even their domestic rivals, Norwegian, although being a low-cost airline have a lot better aircraft and services. The low quality of SAS is making me think of not only never flying with them again but also switching to other alliance partnerships.
RouteBerlin to Trondheim via Oslo
Date FlownJuly 2017

"stop bragging about benefits"

(Sweden)

Verified Review | What is the use of "SAS Plus" on European routes? Flew Stockholm to Lisbon and back in SAS Plus (former business). On SAS website there are a list of benefits when traveling in Plus. But what do you really get? On board: Seating: no difference at all from economy, except for being seated in the first rows. One benefit is supposed to be chosing your preferred seat when booking, but be prepared that they try to give you a another (worse) seat at the gate - happened to me on both legs. Food: a cold meal is included, OK quality when departing from Stockholm, worse on return leg. Drinks for free. Power outlet: should be available according to SAS website, but was not. At the airport Fast Track should be included - works brilliant in Stockholm but in Lisbon there was no sign of a fast track at all. Lounge access should be included - good lounge in Stockholm but in Lisbon there was no lounge at all admitting SAS Plus passengers. No information of the lack of fast track/lounge was given in advance. Check-in in advance: works fine in Stockholm, but not possible in Lisbon, only manual check in. (Separate SAS Plus check in counter, though.) Strange and confusing is that the booking is not possible to retrieve from the SAS App several hours before check in. What remains of the benefits of Plus is the possibility to rebook and cancel your ticket, more luggage and more eurobonus points. SAS should stop bragging about the other benefits as long as they are only partially available. More confidence would be gained if passengers were duly informed of what actually is available on their particular flight - when booking.
RouteStockholm to Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2017

"reverted to a low cost airline"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Milan via Copenhagen. It is required to pay to reserve seats on SAS. It's $40 per person, per leg, which if you're doing a multiple leg flight (plus return flights) adds up very quickly. You can pick seats for free up to 12 hours (?) in advance online, which I did about 10 hours before the flight. Unfortunately my wife and I ended up separated from San Francisco to Copenhagen and there were nothing SAS staff could do, or felt like doing. Once I arrived in Copenhagen I went to the SAS desk to get some help, and hopefully get some better seats for the return flight 2 weeks later, I was greeted by a stone-faced lady that said the same thing as everyone else, she couldn't do anything. That seems to be the theme of SAS, stone faced workers that would rather not do anything, along with very strange seat policies designed to rip off the customers. The flights itself are decent, the A340 was in good condition with good individual in flight entertainment screens. I was under the impression that SAS was better than this, I guess it's reverted to being a low cost airline striving to penny pinch to the every end.
AircraftA340-300
RouteSan Francisco to Milan via Copenhagen
Date FlownJune 2017

"definitely worth the premium"

Verified Review | Newark to Oslo return, SAS Plus (Premium Economy). A great product - comfortable seats with foot rests and decent recline (analagous to domestic First), a very large monitor with good IFE choices, plenty of food including a main meal, midflight snack and a pre-arrival small meal. Cabin crew were professional and friendly throughout. Free WiFi (although it is slow as to be worthless). SAS Plus is definitely worth the premium from SAS Go (regular Economy) which is aimed to compete with low cost carriers and suffers for it.
AircraftA330-300
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteNewark to Oslo
Date FlownJuly 2017

"find SAS to be an embarrassment"

Verified Review | Chicago to Stockholm. I flew to Stockholm from Chicago with my two children on July 02. At check-in we were given stand-by seats, and were told that we would be assigned seats at the gate, (which is something that has never happened in the 20+ years that I've flown with various airlines). I was concerned and asked if we would be seated together. The answer - "I'm sure you will be." We reached the gate and waited in another line (I wonder why SAS is stuck creating lines in the twenty-first century when there is no need for them) and were finally given our seats. I took a look at them, and noticed that one of my children was placed in another row. I asked to be seated next to both of my children, and was told that I had been given great seats, seats that I would normally have to have paid for. I said I didn't want better seats, I wanted to be seated next to my children. The person behind the desk said, "I'll page you later." He never did. On the plane I told the flight attendant that I really wanted and needed to be seated next to both of my children. Her answer - "You have to pay extra if you want to be guaranteed a seat next to someone." You read that right. In a SAS flight you have to pay extra to be seated next to your child. They appear to think it's acceptable for a child to spend 9 hours without being able to see or talk to his parent, a child who gets anxious during turbulence, and needs assistance with opening items during meals, and who wants to be close to his parent in an unfamiliar environment to feel safe. Luckily for us, a concerned passenger (who was appalled by the callous disregard of the flight attendant) switched seats with my son. Imagine that: a passenger has to do what the airline should have done without being asked. We provide the children's ages when booking the flight. The airline knows which passengers are children. This shouldn't be a problem. Another related problem was the quality of food. I was glad that I had packed food for my children, for it took the flight attendants nearly 2,5 hours to bring the evening meal and when it arrived, my children looked at the soggy, slimy vegetables and the overcooked meat and refused to eat it (so did I, btw). My advice to people is to think twice before booking a flight with SAS if they have children with them as nowhere do they mention that you have to pay to be seated next to your children, and as no sensible, feeling person would ever think that an airline would separate children from their parents it is something that parents can't prepare for. The eagerness of SAS to make money has reached a level of callousness that I believe is completely unmatched in the world of flying. As a native Swede, I find SAS to be an embarrassment and a disgrace. You can go after our money, but you can't go after our children to make that money. Shame on you.
RouteChicago to Stockholm
Date FlownJuly 2017

"SAS did a solid job overall"

Verified Review | Flew Chicago to Brussels via Copenhagen and Stockholm. SAS did a solid job overall on this trip in both directions. The long-haul planes were clean and spacious, the short-haul ones, clean and cramped. Check in at O'Hare was fast and easy, check in at Brussels-Zaventem was chaotic. The crews were efficient and friendly (if not exactly engaged and charming, like those on, say, Aer Lingus). The seats were fine, and the entertainment system offered an interesting range of new and classic movies and shows. It was very nice to have some local offerings (subtitled). As for the food and beverages, they were so-so. There was only one meal option. And it did seem miserly and even a little embarrassing to offer only one complimentary non-alcoholic drink-and to repeat that fact several times over the intercom. Should we take up a collection to help the company stave off bankruptcy? Water, coffee, and tea were available free the entire flight, at least. All in all, SAS seems to be doing a halfway decent job of splitting the difference between its former higher-quality self and its cheapo, barbones Nordic rivals like WOW and Norwegian. I would definitely fly SAS economy to Copenhagen or Stockholm again if either were my final destination. I am not sure that I would do so on a connecting flight: the huge, slow lines facing transiting passengers for security and then again for immigration in both Copenhagen and Stockholm (jostling with masses of people for an hour just to *leave* the Schengen zone?) frustrated me to no end. If you are connecting through either of those airports, make sure that you have multiple hours (3+) in between your flights. Don't listen to the lucky people who landed when things were calm and breezed through the obstacle course. You never know how many flights will have landed the same time as yours. These airports are simply not equipped to deal with any more than a few passengers at a time. CPH and ARN made me long for crazy but more prepared Reykjavik-Keflavik.
AircraftA340-300, A320, Canadair Regional Jet 900, A330-200
RouteChicago to Brussels via Copenhagen and Stockholm
Date FlownJuly 2017

"Very keen to assist us"

Verified Review | Copenhagen to Split. As part of a rescheduled flight route taking us to Split then back to the UK we were a bit worried as we had never flown SAS before 0 only a five minute delay to push back, attentive staff for my blind wife and plenty of legroom in standard economy, even a free cup of tea! Very keen to assist us off the flight too. Praise also for the staff on SAS ticket desk at Copenhagen who printed boarding passes and assisted five frazzled passengers ( us!) to escape missed flight hell!
RouteCopenhagen to Split
Date FlownJune 2017

"it was a very nice trip"

Verified Review | We were flying SAS from Stockholm to Hong Kong in premium economy. Boarding was efficien and SAS is really strict in terms of who gets to board first. First of all business class passengers got to board. Afterwards, premium economy and Star Alliance Gold Card holders board. There were some Star Alliance Gold and Eurobonus Gold Card holder who tried to board with the business class passengers but they were sent back and asked to wait until it was their time. The seat was very comfortable. Lots of legroom and a rather wide seat. The footrest could have been a bit more adjustable. But in general a very nice seat. Food was excellent. Tasty, fresh and the cabin attendants were really good. Constantly serving drinks and snacks throughout the flight. As the return flight from HKG was during daytime, there werea midflight snack, chocolote or other sweets and even ice cream in addition to the two main meal servings. The inflight entertainment screen was brilliant. Bright, HD resolution and very responsive. There could have been a bit more content though. The only downside was, that when the person in front of me fully reclined his seat, the screen did not have enough adjustability options to compensate for the recline. Hence, the viewing angle was not 100% perfect but still quite OK. In addition to the IFE, there is free WiFi for business class and premium economy passengers in addition to their top tier eurobonus members. While I had difficulties connecting to the WiFi in the first place, speed quality of the connection were very good. In general it was a very nice trip and I'd love to fly with them again soon.
AircraftA330-300
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteStockholm to Hong Kong
Date FlownMay 2017

"dramatic decrease of service quality"

Verified Review | It seems an used-to-be great airline has been going down. I traveled to Europe from California with SAS this May and June. The flight in May bound for Copenhagen (SAS936) was great. However, I noticed that they cut down the crew number from 9 to 8 on my returning flight SAS 935 in June. This cut down of crew number resulted a dramatic decrease of service quality. I noticed the flight attendants became busier and less patient. The worst part is the breakfast. The breakfast or second meal served on my returning flight was much much worse than the outbound flight. I know this is because they don't have enough attendants to take care of the oven.
RouteCopenhagen to San Francisco