Royal Brunei Airlines

"seats were spacious"

Review by (United Kingdom)

This was a great flight, the seats were spacious and fairly comfortable. The food was very good with at least two choices. The two short stops made the long route much easier to bear and broke it up exactly at the right times. All flights on time, professional and friendly staff. Inflight entertainment was just right. Would highly recommend Royal Brunei Airlines and have flown with lots of different airlines in the past.
AircraftBoeing 787 Dreamliner
RouteLondon to Melbourne via Brunei
Date FlownAugust 2015

Review by (Australia)

Flew with Royal Brunei from Melbourne to London in July/August. Found the staff to be excellent, very friendly and they go out of their way to ensure a comfortable flight. The price was excellent and the quality and service is defintely worth more then the fare paid. The aircraft's are brand new 787's. They are spacious and have excellent legroom, I'm 6'7 and was able to stretch out my legs under the seat in front of me with ease. The best legroom out of any of the major international airlines flying to Europe. Food was great. Good hearty meals and a decent portion size. Hot meals served on all 3 flights. Lots of snacks and drinks offered during the flight. It is a dry airline but being a part cultural thing, not having that glass of wine with my meal wasn't a huge deal, you can bring your own alcohol on board but no-one seemed to take advantage of this. In flight entertainment is good, not the best variety when compared to other majors but a good selection of movies and TV shows to get you through the flight there and back. I didn't notice a huge change in the movies from July to August apart from a couple new additions but this certainly wasn't a big issue. If you want more movies, bring your own laptop. Two stop overs on the journey to London, a 3 hour stop in Brunei which is not too bad. Airport has been renovated and it very comfortable, apart from having poor wifi and the refuel stop in Dubai is a very quick 45 min stop so a good way to stretch your legs ready for the next leg. Will fly them again.
RouteMelbourne to London via Dubai
Date FlownAugust 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

I had a pleasant flight. I went from London to Melbourne in late Dec and came back mid Jan, they were the cheapest airline on offer, but by no means did it feel cheap. They were running brand new Dreamliner 787s the entire length of the journey. Seats are comfortable with plenty of leg room, I'm 5'7 or 170cm and I could easily stretch out with my legs under the seat in front. There is plenty of entertainment on board, USB chargers and you get pillows and blankets to sleep on. Staff are friendly and helpful and I ran into no problems at all during the flight. The food was nice, but bear in mind it will be Halal, I didn't have any of the meat, but the rest of it was nice. They brought around Oreos a few times to to snack on. There are the usual selection of soft drinks too, but no alcohol. Apparently you can take your own on board but I didn't see anyone drinking alcohol, so check with the airline first before you do so. If you are planning to go from England to Melbourne then you really can't go wrong by travelling with Royal Brunei. Just be aware that you will stop at Dubai for about 90 minutes to refuel and 3.5 hours in Brunei to change planes.
AircraftBoeing 787 Dreamliner
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteLondon Heathrow to Melbourne Tullamarine via Dubai and Brunei
Date FlownJanuary 2015

Review by (Australia)

Mainly a comfortable trip. Seat comfortable, however controls difficult to work out. Food just okay. While respecting another country’s stance on alcohol, I think when one has paid a lot of money for the fare then some respect could be shown for cultural preferences ie wine with dinner. I found the one hour stopover in Dubai very annoying. Passengers must leave the plane, walk a long distance to the transit lounge, then go through security and then get back on the same plane again. bI was sound asleep when we arrived in Dubai and never settled again after this. Flight attendants were excellent but it’s a shame they couldn’t offer more ie better meals and wine. I flew with Qatar Airways business class 18 months ago and Royal Brunei Airlines does not compare with them, although I acknowledge that Qatar Airways fares cost more.
RouteMelbourne to London via Brunei

Review by (Australia)

FAs address customers by name, very attentive service, meals tasty and plentiful and more food was available on request. Seats flat recline and pillows and duvets supplied. The IFE was not as expansive as other carriers but it is acceptable. Boeing 787 is noisier than the A380, but not the airlines fault. Would use again.
RouteLHR to MEL via Brunei
Date FlownJune 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

What can I say. Third trip to Dubai and have used Royal Brunei on all three occasions and have never been disappointed. Efficient, polite staff throughout, seats very comfortable and ample legroom. Flight crew were very polite and attentive, food was superb and drinks selection is great too Would not hesitate to use them again to Dubai or even longer. The first time we booked with Brunei was a bit apprehensive as were only £30 cheaper per ticket than Emirates but since then would always choose RB over Emirates for Dubai
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteLHR-DXB
Date FlownOctober 2014

Review by (Australia)

MEL-BKK via Bandar Seri Begawan. First leg was on the Dreamliner, clean and comfortable. It was noticably quieter than comparable aircraft. The food was surprisingly tasty and the service was second to none. I fly many airlines and often bemoan the drop in genuine service across the board, but particularly the Asian based carriers that were once unparalleled in this area. Often it results in the obligatory greeting and smile at the door but then everything becomes mechanical and any request is greeted with disdain. Not RBA (I can only judge on this sole journey). Call bells were promptly answered and the attitude was genuine. 2nd leg to BKK was on an A320, showing age, but nonetheless comfortable and ontime. Sky Lounge and BSB terminal in general are a little "tired" but the ongoing improvement works are obvious and everything was spotlessly clean. I have read a few negative comments on the Sky Lounge. All I can say is it was clean, food was standard airport lounge fare and the WIFI worked. IFE was only fair but ok and theres alcohol served onboard. Great value for money
Aircraft787
RouteMelbourne to Bangkok via Brunei
Date FlownJune 2015

Review by (Australia)

Melbourne to Heathrow. We flew business class in the new Dreamliner and although a dedicated Boeing fan was disappointed in the noise level of this aircraft. I think Boeing has to look at better insulation as the Airbus 380 is far quieter! As far as I'm concerned Boeing hurried this aircraft through too quickly and didn't get some things right. I see in the reports that the seats are uncomfortable on long flights comfortable seats are a must. Otherwise flying Royal Brunei is good value and I don't mind stretching the legs in seven hours hops. Business lounges at both stopovers pretty ordinary!

Review by (Australia)

Flew from MEL-CGK via BWN. They changed our flight timing from BWN to CGK to an unholy 2.00 arrival time in Jakarta. After consultation they gave us a hotel room and a free meal voucher for my family of 3. This made the 7 hour layover in Bandar Seri Begawan very pleasant. The 787 was a true delight. I enjoyed the inflight entertainment system Impian. It had a large number of videos and games to keep my child entertained. My wife enjoyed playing games too. On the A320 and the A319 they were starting to show their age. I hope they are upgraded shortly to 737 NG aircraft. The food on all sectors was excellent the only complaint would be the spicy chicken out of Jakarta more for Indonesian tastes. A new staff member on the CGK to BWN route on return was working really hard and learning the job. Price was excellent. Only slight grizzle was that the overnight BWN to MEL flight a few of the staff appeared grumpy and upon landing although primarily Australian and UK citizens decided that it was fun to discuss (in Malay) how tired they were and so on. We discussed this (attitude) with the head of the cabin crew who was lovely. She remembered us from a previous trip. Most staff were attentive and sincere. The seats are comfy and I am 6'6" in height and have no trouble and do not feel cramped at all. I look forward to my next trip on Royal Brunei.

Review by (United Kingdom)

Very impressed! We booked an economy return flight from London to Melbourne (via Dubai and BWN) for the Easter Break. We hadn't planned on going to Oz but after finding an amazing price with Royal Brunei we had to go! We had 6 flights In total and couldn't fault either of them. Flights were on time staff were very polite and couldn't do enough for you. The planes were clean. However the seats could have done with some more padding! I was in the window seat on row 50 (no windows) for two of the flights. Avoid these seats if you can as the side of the aircraft encroaches on your space and became uncomfortable. The food was varied for all of our flights but was tasty. The crew were very attentive and were giving out drinks throughout each of the flights. The wait at BWN Is a tad on the long side but that would be my only gripe. I will definitely fly Royal Brunei again.