Vote Now

Royal Brunei Airlines

"wouldn't travel this airline again"

Verified Review | This flight was sold to us as one stop. However, there were in fact 2 stops. London Heathrow to Bandar seri Begawan stopping in Dubai, and we later connected to Bali. This should have been sold as 2 stops as it is misleading to say it's one and very wrong. We wouldn't have bought this flight if we had known. Brunei BWN airport has nothing in it. We had an 11 hour stop over which was torture. There are no restaurants or bars in the departures lounge and the whole airport smells of urine, partly due to the revolting toilets. Onboard the flights, the evening meals were tasty. Choice of chicken or beef (chicken lasagne / stir fry ginger beef - chicken chausseur / beef biriyani). Lunch was a disgusting and sour lemon chicken wrap that repeated on you. Breakfast was disgusting chicken sausage or beef sausage with a vile baked egg style thing. Due to being an airline based in a Muslim country, this is a dry airline and all food is halal. A 2 minute long prayer is said before each take off which is quite in your face for people that don't follow Islam. Seats are reasonably comfy - ok leg room. In flight entertainment was good, quite recent films. The cabin crew were very attentive and polite. I wouldn't travel with this airline again.
RouteLHR to DPS via DXB / BWN
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"comfortable and clean enough"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | Surabaya to Bangkok return via Bandar Seri Begawan. The planes are comfortable and clean enough while cabin crew are polite and friendly. I was disappointed by the fact that on three of the four flights they ran out of one of the meal choices before they even served half the passengers. (quality of the meal was good for short-haul). Another negative with Royal Brunei is the fact it is a dry airline so no alcohol can be served. If it changed this policy, it could be far more competitive. My fare was over US$200 cheaper than Garuda and Singapore Airlines, so I got very good value for what I paid.
RouteSUB to BKK via BWN
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"no RBA ground staff to be seen"

Verified Review | I flew RBA from Kota Kinabalu to London via Bandar seri Begawan and Dubai on 30 December 2016. We experienced a delay in Dubai for almost 16 hours due to fog in the UAE. I understand that this is beyond the control of RBA. However, the appalling situation was that there was no proper communication and no RBA ground staff in Dubai airport to assist stranded passengers. Either the RBA staff have taken off their uniform not wanting to face the frustrated customers, I'm not entirely sure but they cannot be identified at all. We arrived into Dubai at approximately 1.30 a.m. from Brunei and have been stranded until 5.20 p.m on 31 December 2016. With such a long delay, we should have been given a hotel. We were also not given any meal voucher, but was told to go to either McDonald's or KFC for meals. Upon reaching the McDonald's counter, I was told I could only choose either a beef or chicken meal! But I am a vegetarian and I was told they could not help me without RBA authorisation. But there was no RBA ground staff to be seen! I was supposed to reach London at about 6.40 a.m. on new year's eve to celebrate the countdown with my wife and children, but we only arrived at 9.30 p.m. into Heathrow. As I live in Somerset, I only reached home at 12.30 a.m. on new year's day to a disappointed family! I thought RBA has improved with the service after many years for not flying with the airline, but I now feel I have made a terrible terrible mistake in choosing RBA once again with this trip.
RouteBWN to LHR via DXB
Date FlownDecember 2016

"not choose to fly RBA again"

Verified Review | Melbourne to Hong Kong return via Bandar Seri Begawan. Outbound from Australia to Brunei there were just four passengers in Business Class, yet when I submitted my meal preference (not two hours into the flight) I was advised that it was unavailable and asked to choose something else. I accepted that reality at the time and emailed Royal Brunei Airlines after our trip to complain. No acknowledgement or response, ever - nothing. Two years later, and two issues about which I sought to engage the airline. Outbound from Brunei for Hong Kong I was unimpressed by the torn and ragged seat upholstery facing me on the back of the two seats ahead of us. I wrote to RBA about this and another matter. Again, the response was nothing. Six months later I finally manage to drag them into communication, and although the response was ‘professional-polite’, I had clearly become their serial-pest, not a customer deserving of respect. To the ‘other matter’. Upon being called to board the late evening Brunei-Melbourne flight, we followed instructions to proceed to Gate. It turns out that Gate was at the furthest end of one of their new finger piers. We walked down the totally empty pier to its farthest extremity and sat in the boarding lounge. After about 20 minutes, the staff showed up and beckoned us through the gate for a boarding check. We were then directed to walk all the way back along the totally empty finger pier to the terminal hub from whence we’d come, where we found our boarding gate was open and we could proceed onto the aircraft. I asked the airline to explain this piece of silliness. Over a series of responses I was told ‘A lot of international airports require you to walk a long distance’ (perhaps so, but not in order to return to where you started), and ‘RBA does not own the airport and has no control over the airport administration’s requirements’ (a pitiful excuse considering BWN is the primary airport in the nation of Brunei and is the home base for RBA), and finally ‘The Australian government has security requirements that caused this’. I am unhappy because it takes you half a year to drag the airline into communication, you are admonished for not having complained to the cabin crew at the time (the crew had adequate opportunity to notice the cabin furnishing damage but obviously had not), you are lied-to regarding the reasons some particular passenger management action has occurred, you are not a satisfied customer. We have disposed of our Royal Skies membership cards and will not choose to fly Royal Brunei Airlines again.
AircraftBoeing 787 / A320
RouteMEL to HKG via BWN
Date FlownMay 2016

"I wanted to say thank you"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Melbourne to Hong Kong via Bandar seri Begawan. I have been treated excellently even I can only afford to pay for economy class for myself and my daughter. This is such an amazing treat that I have ever been to any airlines. I wanted to say thank you to Royal Brunei Airlines, to the flight attendants. The food and drinks provided are very generous and great quality.
RouteMEL to HKG via BWN
Date FlownNovember 2016

"good deal - if you have flexible plans"

Melbourne to London via Brunei and Dubai. The deal with flying Royal Brunei is more complicated than flying other airlines. The flying experience on the 787 is excellent - great legroom for an economy seat , good food served every flight. IFE is OK - take your own headphones. Crew are very good. The price is very low compared to other airlines. However, this is a small airline with no back up plan if things go wrong - and they do. We had a 13 hour delay in Brunei but met people who were delayed several days. RB put us into a basic 3 star hotel for the night and organised a pretty poor evening meal but a meal nontheless. We also travelled with people who had experienced this sort of delay several times. RB is a good deal - if you have flexible plans - delays in Brunei especially are not uncommon but not that hard to deal with if you do not have to be somewhere at a particular time. The extra night in Brunei helped with jet lag but wasnt really in or plans.
RouteMEL to LHR via BWN / DXB
Date FlownDecember 2016

"Can't fault the airline"

Verified Review | London to Denpasar via Dubai and Bandar seri Begawan. Travelled as a family of four including two children aged 10 and 7 years old. Was slightly concerned about entertaining the children on such a long flight, but needn't have worried. The IFE kept my two children entirely entertained when they weren't sleeping. Both children took a rucksack full of books, pens etc, but I don't think they used any. Food was fine for us adults, sadly the children didn't like what they were offered, luckily we'd taken snacks on board and eaten well at the airport before boarding. Took our own wine as the airline is dry, staff happy to dispose of empty bottles. Seats were very comfortable, one of the best we've experienced. Cabin interior clean, staff friendly and very efficient, and happy to hand out extra brackets when my daughter was cold. Families boarded first on all flights. Can't fault the airline, especially given the cost when compared to others. Will happily travel as a family with them again.
RouteLHR to DPS via DXB/BWN
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"food was good and filling"

(Malaysia)

Flew on Royal Brunei new A320ceo for a short flight from Brunei to Kuala Lumpur. Managed to try the new IMPIAN wireless entertainment system - not many choices but adequate for the short 2 hour flight. I think many passengers are not aware of this as RB only officially launched this service 1-2 months ago. Food was good and filling for a short flight. Asked for a pen and postcard and got a RB branded pen with some postcards in a nice writing kit (with some writing papers and envelope).
RouteBGW to KUL
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"flew due to cheap costs"

Dubai to London Heathrow. No alcohol so take your own. Flight okay, however don't sit near the back of the plane as the crew sit there all night nattering away. Food pretty poor. TV and films were below par due to the amount offered. Only flew with Royal Brunei Airlines due to cheap costs.
RouteDXB to LHR
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"cabin attendants polite and welcoming"

Verified Review | Flew Bangkok to Melbourne via Brunei with Royal Brunei. Both flights departed and arrived on time. The check in in Bangkok was efficient and polite and was able to use the priority lane for security check and Immigration. I boarded both flights at leisure and given priority in boarding. Bangkok to Brunei the cabin was lightly loaded and I was given an I-pad with some films on it. I was reading a book so did not see what was available. The seat recline was adequate and was comfortable. From Brunei to Melbourne the cabin was completely full and the seat fully reclined to a flat bed and was very comfortable. The inflight entertainment was adequate but film selection was a bit limited. On both flights the quality and quantity of the food was excellent, although on the Melbourne to Bangkok I did not get the main I wanted and decided to use the soup (would have been better if it were a bit hotter. Royal Brunei is a dry flight so no alcohol (this was a problem on the flight) so drink selection is a little limited. The Cabin attendants on both sectors were courteous, friendly and provide excellent service. My luggage was one of the first of the flight in Melbourne. I usually fly twice a year to Bangkok with Royal Brunei and the service quality tends not to vary. Flights usually depart and arrive on time and the cabin attendants are always polite and welcoming.
AircraftA320, Boeing 777