Top 100 Airports

Royal Brunei Airlines

"cabin attendants polite and welcoming"

Verified Review | Flew Bangkok to Melbourne via Brunei with Royal Brunei. Both flights departed and arrived on time. The check in in Bangkok was efficient and polite and was able to use the priority lane for security check and Immigration. I boarded both flights at leisure and given priority in boarding. Bangkok to Brunei the cabin was lightly loaded and I was given an I-pad with some films on it. I was reading a book so did not see what was available. The seat recline was adequate and was comfortable. From Brunei to Melbourne the cabin was completely full and the seat fully reclined to a flat bed and was very comfortable. The inflight entertainment was adequate but film selection was a bit limited. On both flights the quality and quantity of the food was excellent, although on the Melbourne to Bangkok I did not get the main I wanted and decided to use the soup (would have been better if it were a bit hotter. Royal Brunei is a dry flight so no alcohol (this was a problem on the flight) so drink selection is a little limited. The Cabin attendants on both sectors were courteous, friendly and provide excellent service. My luggage was one of the first of the flight in Melbourne. I usually fly twice a year to Bangkok with Royal Brunei and the service quality tends not to vary. Flights usually depart and arrive on time and the cabin attendants are always polite and welcoming.
AircraftA320, Boeing 777
RouteBKK to MEL via BWN
Date FlownAugust 2016

"why do they mislead customers"

Verified Review | London to Kota Kinabalu via Bandar seri Begawan. Royal Brunei Airlines cancelled our connecting flight from Brunei to Kota Kinabalu by reasoning "there is no flight available". Why do they mislead customers through advertisement stating that there are flights available on the date and time of our travel plans when we paid you with our hard earned money? We paid it well in advance and Royal Brunei Airlines mercilessly gave us less than 24 hours notice that our connecting flight now is not available. I am travelling with an infant and a six year old boy and they expect me to travel in the middle of the night and expect somebody will wait for us on a red carpet and collect us in the middle of the night? Why do they put us through a lot of trouble, time and money spent just because of their mess? Do they know how difficult it is to travel with young children or have any idea why not to live up to their motto "better fly with Royal Brunei Airlines"? I am not happy. I would give no stars at all but I have no choice but to click one.
RouteLHR to BKI via DXB / BWN
Date FlownJuly 2016

"staff are ultra attentive"

Verified Review | Royal Brunei Airlines Business Class ticks every box. Flew from Melbourne to London via Dubai and Brunei. The Dreamliner is a great aircraft, the BC configuration has only 18 seats that recline to a flat bed, staff are ultra attentive, food is great, inflight entertainment is fine (without being over extensive). It makes top class Business Class travel affordable for so many more people.
AircraftBoeing 787 Dreamliner
RouteMEL to LHR via DXB and BWN
Date FlownJuly 2016

"B787 a wonderful aircraft"

Verified Review | Flew Dubai to Denpasar Bali via Brunei return. Refreshing cabin, cabin crew friendly and great. B787 is a wonderful aircraft in terms of comfort. IFE had sufficient content for an 8-10hr flight and was good in response. Food was superb. On the shorter route, I flew the new A320, very clean and fresh. However, lacked in IFE. Short Transit a breeze at BWN airport, but not if you are entering Brunei for a long transit. You'll have to first go to the transfer desk, request a sponsor letter, following which you pay 5 Bruneian $ for transit visa. Hotel provided was Trader's Inn, Brunei - comfortable for a transit stop. There seems to be some miscommunication between airline ground staff and immigration. If this is sorted it would be great. I have taken 8 flights in total with the airline, had a great time every time.
AircraftBoeing787 / A320
RouteDXB to DPS via BWN
Date FlownMay 2016

"really cheap and not that bad"

Verified Review | Melbourne to Kota Kinabalu via Bander seri Begawan on Royal Brunei. The Boeing 787 Business Class was superior than I thought it was going to be. Yes they don't serve any kind of alcohol, however it's possible to buy a small bottle in Duty Free after security and bring it on the plane with you. The crew will not serve it to you, however ask for a mixer and ice and do it yourself! The seats laid down to a flat bed, and at 6ft 4inches roughly, it was just a little short to lie on my back (I'm 6ft 7). However with a bit of adjustment I was able to get comfortable and sleep. The only negative thing about the seat was the headrest - it's not moveable in any direction. This makes relaxing in a z shape almost impossible. Food was good, on the flight from Australia, they served a variety of Australian inspired dishes, and on the return more arabic influenced fare. Crew were quick to respond to drink requests etc. Decent sized portions as well! You don't get a decent amenity kit, and it resembles something from economy class, with an eye mask, ear plugs and that's about it. No PJ's either. However it is really cheap and not that bad for the money spent.
RouteMEL to BKI via BWN

"hard to criticise"

Melbourne to Heathrow via Brunei and Dubai with Royal Brunei. For a relatively small airline and with very competitive prices, this airline provide a standard that is hard to criticise. Yes, some may not like the 2 stops on this route and no alcohol policy but plenty of others are quite ok with this. When you take into account the new aircraft, 787's with 3-3-3 seating, reasonable food, plenty of other drinks served, pleasant staff and 30kg baggage allowance on this route, overall thie product is worth considering - I would certainly use them again. Seats have good room although a little hard as any seat would be after three 7 to 8 hour flights, reasonable entertainment system and Bandar Seri Begawan airport is showing signs of growth and improvement with more services.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteMEL to LHR via BWN and DXB
Date FlownMay 2016

"incredibly low price"

Melbourne to London via Bandar seri Begawan and Dubai with Royal Brunei Airlines. Overall a very good experience for an incredibly low price. Outbound at check-in we were offered emergency exit seats for all three legs at no charge - a major bonus for me, being over six foot. Staff were attentive and reasonably friendly, seats comfortable, meals ok and the Boeing 787 really is a up there in the running as the most comfortable long-haul aircraft. IFE modern but only so-so in terms of choices. Music options were particularly obscure. Minor complaints were the two stops (Dubai and Brunei) dragging things out, especially the Brunei stopover where food, drink and shopping options remain limited. Staff did very few water or soft drink runs when the cabin lights were out. Also the three seven hour flights make food servings slightly difficult: one meal or two? Sometimes it was only one meal, which was a stretch (hungry), sometimes one plus a quite tasty and satisfactory hot wrap, but mostly one plus a serving of either sweet or savoury biscuits, which was enough to tide one over but rather odd.
RouteMEL to LHR via BWN / DXB
Date FlownApril 2016

"didn't handle this well at all"

Verified Review | Bangkok to Melbourne via Bandar Seri Begawan, but we never actually flew with Royal Brunei, so I cannot comment on their inflight product. I can however review their handling of cancellations, delays etc. We arrived at BKK airport at 11am for our 1.30pm flight, only to be told that the Brunei to Melbourne sector was 'not operating' today, or the next day for that matter. Although Royal Brunei knew this the previous day, no e-mail or sms was sent to advise passengers of this. We could have stayed at our Bangkok hotel and opted for a late checkout if we had known. The Royal Brunei representative told us to 'take a seat' as they were 'organising' an alternative routing for us. This dragged on for well over an hour, and still they were 'organising' and 'waiting for confirmations'. I approached the counter and asked if we could avoid a late night departure if at all possible, given the fact that midnight departures and our 7 year-old daughter do not go well together. They replied: 'ok we will see. Just take a seat'. Eventually, we were told that we had all been booked on the direct Thai Airways flight to Melbourne, departing after midnight. There were no other options. According to Royal Brunei, Thai doesn't operate a morning flight from BKK to MEL, but 'if there was a morning flight, you could certainly have taken it'. Well of course there is a morning flight with Thai: TG 461, which operates daily. At that stage we had all been booked on TG 465, so we had to go with it. We transferred to an airport hotel around 2pm for 7 hours, and then back to the airport. It is how certain airlines handle unexpected issues such as cancellations, delays etc that set them apart from the truly good carriers. Sadly, Royal Brunei didn't handle this particularly well at all.
AircraftNot Applicable
RouteBKK to MEL via BWN
Date FlownApril 2016

"economical full service airline"

Travelled Singapore to Kota Kinabalu via BWN and Kota Kinabalu to Jakarta via BWN using frequent flyer points. Both flights had a stopover in Brunei. Whilst I regularly travel Business Class with Royal Brunei this was my first time travelling Economy Class with them. All flights were on time. As short haul flights there was no IFE of note. Meals were served on all flights, even the short distance from Brunei to Kota Kinabalu. Royal Brunei is a dry airline so there was no alcohol. Food was good and well served and the choices were available. Desk staff in Kota Kinabalu were very good and at short notice, after seeing how I was walking, arranged a wheelchair for me in Brunei and then Jakarta. In Brunei, I had a relatively long stopover and staff bought water and dinner for me (I had asked for some water and was given both). I will continue to fly Royal Brunei airlines - an economical full service airline.
RouteSIN to BKI via BWN
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"not a premium service"

London to Brunei via Dubai with Royal Brunei Airlines. Cabin half empty, row 11 has no windows adjacent to seat which requires passengers sitting in 11A and 11K to lean forward to see outside the window. Despite half empty cabin one of the three main menu options were not available. As airline is a dry carrier, only basic fruit juices, fizzy drinks and hot beverages are served. Cabin crew polite and efficient but not a premium service. Complimentary goody bag is a joke when compared to most other carriers. Crew change in Dubai and next sector to Bandar seri Begawan only had four pax in the cabin. Both service and food on offer much better on this sector. Seat and flat bed comfortable. IFE choices are limited and seat configuration 2x2x2 is not ideal for long sectors. Toilets clean. The product difference between Royal Brunei and a premium carrier such as Qatar Airways is substantial. Paying the additional premium in order to get a much superior product and service delivery may well be justified.
Aircraft787