Royal Brunei Airlines

"Budget (at best) in actuality"

Trip Verified | Business class Flew from Melbourne to London. Aircraft - old and very outdated internal fit out, down to the entertainment technology. Latest movies is a loosely used term. No movies currently showing at the cinemas are available - in fact, nothing ‘new’ from the past few years, apart from 1 (‘Adrift’) . Food - above average if we had been travelling in economy, below for Business Class. Flight attendants - as always, it’s a mixed bag. First leg the crew were almost military-like in their procession of serving and clearing away the meal in record time. And then the only time they were seen was when they performed almost half hourly cleans in the toilets (not complaining about that). Second leg it’s hard to comment as I was asleep for most of it although it was quickly obvious that the staff in charge of cleaning the toilets were no longer onboard as they were not in a great condition when I went to freshen up after my nap. Final leg - not outstandingly good or bad - but service crew who ‘refreshed’ the plane during the stopover in Dubai. Missed the toilets (NB 2 hrs out from London and no one has cleaned them since Brunei). Overall, it feels like the staff who serve in Business Class find it a nice treat to have a smaller area to work within but none were particularly motivated to assist with making the journey ‘special’ for passengers. Right down to the distribution of the ‘fast track’ pass through customs. My travelling partner was somehow recorded as travelling on a UK passport so ineligible. Despite clarifying that it was actually an Australian passport and a mistake by the airline, there was ‘nothing they could do’ because there was only a specific allocation of these cards! Seats fully recline as promised. Rock hard and unforgiving in any co figuration. There is a seat massager - didn’t work on any of out seats in any leg of the journey. Passenger amenities - no effort out into these packs. They are almost as good as what is distributed to economy passengers on other airlines. Socks, ear plugs and an eye mask that smells so much of the plastic it is made from you cannot wear it for any length of time. The blankets were thin and inadequate. Overall - Royal by name. Budget (at best) in actuality.
RouteMelbourne to London via Brunei / Dubai
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"definitely worth the extra"

Trip Verified | Got upgraded via the online offer system - paid just under 1/2 of the fare to fly Business class so I understand that my review is not for the full fare on this route. This was my only experience flying anything besides economy class - so I don't really have much to compare it too. Upon boarding I got the rearmost row to myself, as there were only three other people in the cabin. The most noticeable thing was the lack of an IFE system in the seat, instead you get given an iPad (in a rather nice RB branded case) with a selection of films and TV shows. The quantity of content wasn't as comprehensive as Emirates or Qantas, however what was there was good - and easily enough for a ~2h flight. Might be worth mentioning that the particular episode of a TV show I ended up watching was censored pretty heavily - I've seen lines being cut before but it makes you wonder what the point of having a show like that is if most of the comedy has to be cut/blurred out. The main point I would like to really commend on is how welcome I felt, as a backpacker who just wanted to try Business for the experience on the cheap I really appreciate how despite obviously not belonging there (considering how well dressed the other passengers were) the cabin crew made it seem normal and relaxing. Even though I didn't get to use the lounge in Singapore it was definitely worth the extra for that flight - however the economy on their A320's isn't too much of a downgrade for me at least, especially considering it would have been nearly 3x cheaper than the full business fare.
RouteSIN to BWN
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"good feeling when flying RBA"

Trip Verified | Dubai to Melbourne via Bandar. I flew this airline after 10 years since I flew them. Check in was easy despite that the plane was full. Seat of the 787 was really comfortable & fine leg room, entertainment system was just fine & serves the purpose perfectly. Brunei Airport was refurbished, still cosy, however, I think it needs a bit of Duty Free feeling to it rather than a small bazaar shops they have. No complaint on that. The only thing I hate about this airport is the fact that the Smoking room was closed for maintenance. Brunei to Melbourne flight, again, no issues, on time departure, meal was good (choose their regular meal as the vegetarian meal was really bad as many passengers who order it didn't bother eating it), landing was on earlier than the scheduled time, so it give me plenty of time to stretch out, smoke, eat & check in to my domestic flight to Sydney. What I love the most about them that they always manage to takeoff on time & land earlier than scheduled. All in all, a very good feeling when flying RBA.
RouteDubai to Melbourne via Bandar
Date FlownDecember 2017

"definitely fly them again"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Hong Kong via Bandar Seri Begawan. Great service at check in at Tullamarine then a bit of a search for what was a pretty basic lounge. Boarding was easy and the crew to BSB were fantastic. Meal was good and if you wanted anything they were there very quickly. We were staying overnight in BSB and were not told that we had to pay $5 each for a visa but at least we got a nice stamp in our passport. Flight from BSB was on an A320 and again very comfortable and great service. On return from Hong Kong to BSB the lounge at HK was excellent as was the business lounge at BSB. Crew on this flight also very good. Then again only 4 of us in business class. Boarding the 787 to Melbourne was a bit clumsy at the gate. Told by a passenger next to me who had been on the flight from London that my seat was broken and would not go flat. Found this to be true but in the end 3 crew members jumped all over it and got it sorted. The meals were good. Didn’t miss the grog. While the crew seem to disappear they do respond quickly if you buzz them and nothing is too much trouble. Would definitely fly with them again.
AircraftBoeing 787 / A320
RouteMelbourne to Hong Kong via Bandar
Date FlownMay 2018

"never fly this airline again"

Trip Verified | London to Dubai. I checked my luggage in at around in between 3pm to 4pm my flight was leaving at 5pm, my case was over by 3 kilos and staff informed that I must go and take the extra out which I did. I went back to her, and staff stated that I was 1kg over and if I wanted the extra kilo I would need to pay. Staff on the other side called me and told me to put my case for her to weigh which I did and the weight was 27 kilos. Because of the discussions about the weight of my case I was unable to buy any duty free because of the hold up. I have flown with this airline many times, and have never encountered a problem before. After this experience I will never fly this airline again. I like the people from Brunei and the cabin staffon the flight.
RouteLondon to Dubai
Date FlownMarch 2018

"crew were warm and welcoming"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Melbourne via Brunei. For this journey, Royal Brunei offered an all inclusive fare (seat allocation, meals, bag) at a great price. This review relates to the return Bangkok - Melbourne. The first leg from Bangkok to Brunei on an older A320 was OK. Then three hours in Brunei, made quite pleasant by the newly renovated airport which feels airy and spacious, if a little sombre. I find the lack of alcohol on the planes and at the airport in Brunei quite refreshing, so this wasn't a concern for me. Seats on the 787 overnight flight to Melbourne were comfortable, even for a taller person, made better by the fact that the plane was only around half full, and the fact that the very considerate person in front of me never reclined her seat. I have never travelled on a full 787, so cannot comment on how comfortable the 9 across format would be on a full plane. My special meal was very nicely prepared, and the crew were warm and welcoming, doing water/juice runs, as well as a snack run (sweet or savoury) towards the end of the flight. I spent most of the nights watching movies from a reasonable selection of US and foreign language films. Only major problem - at no time did I see any member of crew cleaning the toilets, and more than an hour before landing the floor of the nearest toilet was disgusting - a deal breaker for me.
AircraftA320/B788
RouteBangkok to Melbourne via Brunei
Date FlownMarch 2018

"comfortable travel experience"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Ho Chi Minh City via Bandar seri Begawan. Royal Brunei Airlines provided comfortable travel experience, the services are excellent and you get a chance to stop over to visit Brunei with friendly people and explore the natural wonders of the island.
RouteMelbourne to Ho Chi Minh via BWN
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"staff were so polite and pro-active"

(Nepal)

Trip Verified | London to Bandar seri Begawan via Dubai. I was so pleased but the service and hospitality being given to us. The cabin staff were so polite and pro-active to provide service and help. Foods and drinks were supplied adequately. I strongly recommend travellers to take an experience of flying from it.
RouteLondon to Bandar seri Begawan via Dubai
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"lack of consistency disappointing"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Melbourne via Bandar Seri Bagawan. You’d swear this was a different airline. It started ok though. Check in was quick and we had an express pass through security and immigration which was a blessing. We had a pass given to us for the Air France lounge, Oh my trying to find this was a huge challenge, they really need better signage in this massively large busy airport. Fortunately the lounge wasn’t far from the gate, The flight to Bandar Seri Bagawan was unremarkable, nice food and comfortable, On arrival in BSB we walked to transfers to be met and told our plane was in the UK with a cracked windscreen and that our Melbourne flight was postponed. The staff were very good and had pre filled immigration forms for us, walked us through there and put us in a taxi to a hotel for the night with a voucher for a meal there. The same taxi driver met us in the morning and took us back to the airport. Went to the lounge for breakfast and eventually a plane arrived, we heard it came from Jeddah. The flight home however was disappointing, there were only nine of us in business yet staff were hard to find, they seemed to run to the back a lot, We were told brusquely - get your trays ready, meals will come soon. We got the first and second course then nothing. Pillows were distributed, no duvet. Entertainment was extremely limited, It felt like a different airline to our outgoing experience. I did ring the call bell for a tea later on. Nothing was ever offered during the flight. The lack of consistency was disappointing overall. We arrived finally, our bags were not long to arrive.
RouteBangkok to Melbourne via Bandar Seri Bagawan
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"Delightful experience overall"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Ho Chi Minh cCty via BandarSeri Bagawan. Delightful experience overall. Checking in was quick and easy with express passes for departure, lounge access at Cathay Pacific lounge in Melbourne and pass for the lounge in Brunei. We were permitted 40kg which apparently can be spread over multiple bags. Boarding was confusing as they call up families and business at once so you are in a line boarding as many families were travelling it seemed. Our seat on the plane was very spacious but we couldn’t have any bags stowed near us, all had to be put in the locker. We were offered juices/water prior to take off. Menus were distributed and the staff during this first leg were fabulous. Very friendly, they referred to us by name. The entertainment selection was very good. The food was superb, the steak ordered was very tender and the quantity of food ensured we were well and truly satisfied yet there were snacks available also. We had to go through security again to board our next flight. The flight from Bandar Seri Bagawan was on a smaller plane and it was late arriving thus late leaving. The staff were not as friendly on this section but we still got fed a sizeable main meal. All in all it was a positive experience and one I would love to do again.
RouteMelbourne to Ho Chi Minh cCty via BandarSeri Bagawan