Royal Brunei Airlines

Review by (Australia) 3rd July 2015

Mainly a comfortable trip. Seat comfortable, however controls difficult to work out. Food just okay. While respecting another country’s stance on alcohol, I think when one has paid a lot of money for the fare then some respect could be shown for cultural preferences ie wine with dinner. I found the one hour stopover in Dubai very annoying. Passengers must leave the plane, walk a long distance to the transit lounge, then go through security and then get back on the same plane again. bI was sound asleep when we arrived in Dubai and never settled again after this. Flight attendants were excellent but it’s a shame they couldn’t offer more ie better meals and wine. I flew with Qatar Airways business class 18 months ago and Royal Brunei Airlines does not compare with them, although I acknowledge that Qatar Airways fares cost more.
RouteMelbourne to London via Brunei

Review by (Australia) 2nd July 2015

FAs address customers by name, very attentive service, meals tasty and plentiful and more food was available on request. Seats flat recline and pillows and duvets supplied. The IFE was not as expansive as other carriers but it is acceptable. Boeing 787 is noisier than the A380, but not the airlines fault. Would use again.
RouteLHR to MEL via Brunei

Review by (United Kingdom) 1st July 2015

What can I say. Third trip to Dubai and have used Royal Brunei on all three occasions and have never been disappointed. Efficient, polite staff throughout, seats very comfortable and ample legroom. Flight crew were very polite and attentive, food was superb and drinks selection is great too Would not hesitate to use them again to Dubai or even longer. The first time we booked with Brunei was a bit apprehensive as were only £30 cheaper per ticket than Emirates but since then would always choose RB over Emirates for Dubai
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteLHR-DXB

Review by (Australia) 14th June 2015

MEL-BKK via Bandar Seri Begawan. First leg was on the Dreamliner, clean and comfortable. It was noticably quieter than comparable aircraft. The food was surprisingly tasty and the service was second to none. I fly many airlines and often bemoan the drop in genuine service across the board, but particularly the Asian based carriers that were once unparalleled in this area. Often it results in the obligatory greeting and smile at the door but then everything becomes mechanical and any request is greeted with disdain. Not RBA (I can only judge on this sole journey). Call bells were promptly answered and the attitude was genuine. 2nd leg to BKK was on an A320, showing age, but nonetheless comfortable and ontime. Sky Lounge and BSB terminal in general are a little "tired" but the ongoing improvement works are obvious and everything was spotlessly clean. I have read a few negative comments on the Sky Lounge. All I can say is it was clean, food was standard airport lounge fare and the WIFI worked. IFE was only fair but ok and theres alcohol served onboard. Great value for money
Aircraft787
RouteMelbourne to Bangkok via Brunei

Review by (Australia) 22nd May 2015

Melbourne to Heathrow. We flew business class in the new Dreamliner and although a dedicated Boeing fan was disappointed in the noise level of this aircraft. I think Boeing has to look at better insulation as the Airbus 380 is far quieter! As far as I'm concerned Boeing hurried this aircraft through too quickly and didn't get some things right. I see in the reports that the seats are uncomfortable on long flights comfortable seats are a must. Otherwise flying Royal Brunei is good value and I don't mind stretching the legs in seven hours hops. Business lounges at both stopovers pretty ordinary!

Review by (Australia) 16th May 2015

Flew from MEL-CGK via BWN. They changed our flight timing from BWN to CGK to an unholy 2.00 arrival time in Jakarta. After consultation they gave us a hotel room and a free meal voucher for my family of 3. This made the 7 hour layover in Bandar Seri Begawan very pleasant. The 787 was a true delight. I enjoyed the inflight entertainment system Impian. It had a large number of videos and games to keep my child entertained. My wife enjoyed playing games too. On the A320 and the A319 they were starting to show their age. I hope they are upgraded shortly to 737 NG aircraft. The food on all sectors was excellent the only complaint would be the spicy chicken out of Jakarta more for Indonesian tastes. A new staff member on the CGK to BWN route on return was working really hard and learning the job. Price was excellent. Only slight grizzle was that the overnight BWN to MEL flight a few of the staff appeared grumpy and upon landing although primarily Australian and UK citizens decided that it was fun to discuss (in Malay) how tired they were and so on. We discussed this (attitude) with the head of the cabin crew who was lovely. She remembered us from a previous trip. Most staff were attentive and sincere. The seats are comfy and I am 6'6" in height and have no trouble and do not feel cramped at all. I look forward to my next trip on Royal Brunei.

Review by (United Kingdom) 19th April 2015

Very impressed! We booked an economy return flight from London to Melbourne (via Dubai and BWN) for the Easter Break. We hadn't planned on going to Oz but after finding an amazing price with Royal Brunei we had to go! We had 6 flights In total and couldn't fault either of them. Flights were on time staff were very polite and couldn't do enough for you. The planes were clean. However the seats could have done with some more padding! I was in the window seat on row 50 (no windows) for two of the flights. Avoid these seats if you can as the side of the aircraft encroaches on your space and became uncomfortable. The food was varied for all of our flights but was tasty. The crew were very attentive and were giving out drinks throughout each of the flights. The wait at BWN Is a tad on the long side but that would be my only gripe. I will definitely fly Royal Brunei again.

Review by (Australia) 17th April 2015

Flew Melbourne - Ho Chi Minh City return in Business first time in biz and must say it was worth every cent even though we managed to get a great deal. The new Dreamliner is a beautiful plane comfortable and quiet service was excellent as you were addressed by name and the food was divine and plenty of it. A couple of years ago we did Melbourne to Kota Kinabalu with this airline in economy and found them fine that is why when we seen the deal we couldn't resist. Check-in was a breeze at all points they use Cathay pacific lounge in Melbourne which is small but more than adequate . Staff are friendly and you are never left wanting we have already booked a trip with them in October to Bangkok we wouldn't hesitate recommending them in either business or economy but remember they serve no alcohol.

Review by (Australia) 6th April 2015

I recently flew return from Melbourne to Bangkok (plane change in Brunei) with RBA and had a great flight(s). My positive experience started before I booked my ticket when I emailed the Melbourne RBA office with some questions they were always prompt and helpful with their replies. I emailed them again after I booked to change seats and experienced the same excellent service via email. Flights between Melbourne and Brunei are on the Dreamliner which is so comfortable. Then it is a 1 or 2 hour stopover in Brunei. Flying in business class I expected to go through security quickly but for some reason there was a long queue and it took over 25 minutes to get through? I did not experience the same on the return flight it was empty and I walked straight through. I spent the entire time in the royal skies lounge as there is nothing to do in the airport. The food etc was good in the lounge the only problem I had was with their wifi - it was slow and kept dropping out. The flight from Brunei to Bangkok is in an A320 or 319. It is comfortable enough but can not compare to the dreamliner. Using the fast track pass from RBA I was through the airport and in my pre-arranged car in under 25 minutes. Leaving BKK I got a pass to the Air France lounge. A very nice lounge with good facilities and quality food. Service on board all flights was exceptional. Staff were very helpful and polite at all times. Regarding the no alcohol policy I didn't find this a problem at all and actually enjoyed the break from it on my return flight after drinking too much on my holiday. From MEL-BKK a couple next to me pulled out a bottle of wine and the staff were happy to serve it to them so no problems taking it on board. Just remember to leave any opened bottles on board and declare any unopened bottles when transiting through Brunei. Overall I really enjoyed flying with RBA and will definitely fly with them again.

Review by (Australia) 4th April 2015

Melbourne-Bangkok-Melbourne. Royal Brunei continue to provide an excellent value for money going to Bangkok. It is a dry airline and no alcohol is served. The Cabin Crew are friendly and look to provide a good service. I have yet to meet an unhelpful flight attendant! The flight from Australia left on time and I easily made the short connection time for the flight to Bangkok. Food on all sectors is good and presented well. The Dreamliner (B787) is an excellent aircraft - it is spacious and the beds are lie flat and quite comfortable. The A320 from Brunei to Bangkok is the traditional seat up Business Class but reasonably comfortable for a short haul journey. The return journey was ultimately cancelled because of technical problems the first suggestion of delay came when the first boarding call was about to be made. There were a couple of further delays and notice given of them. It was five o'clock when the flight was to be cancelled. Business Class passengers were accommodated in a five star hotel with dinner and breakfast provided. No lunch had been provided but we did have access to the Business Lounge. Cancellation of my flight meant that I missed a connecting flight on a separate ticket to Canberra and Royal Brunei arranged for me to catch the same flight (at no extra cost) on the next day. An option was given to fly economy class on a different carrier and arriving on the same day as planned but I declines this. For the Business Class passengers I was satisfied with the treatment and the hotel that was utilized we were kept reasonably well informed as to what was happening and what the options were. I will continue to use Royal Brunei to/from Bangkok.