AirAsia

Review by (Australia) 28th June 2015

This was our first AirAsia trip from Perth to Bali. We're spoilt for choice in Perth with multiple flights daily by AirAsia, Garuda, Jetsar and Virgin. We used to fly Jetstar because as a Qantas Club member we could use the QF lounge in Perth - that doesn't open just for Jetstar flights, so you have to jag it when there's a Qantas international flight going out - not that there's many of those these days. So this time we decided to give Air Asia a go because their fares were excellent. Spot on time departure ex Perth, clean aircraft and we paid extra for Row 1. Pleasant enough flight for a LCC. We paid extra for the Red Carpet service on the return journey, and this was an absolute treat. No queues, someone to escort you through immigration, and access to the Premier Lounge which is on a par with the QF Business lounges in Perth. Also you get to board first, so minimal queuing - for frequent travellers to Bali this is worth paying for. The usual customer types on board making it mildly embarrassing for the FA's but they'd be used to it on that run. It was an on time departure, and this time a little IFE with one of the cabin crew playing his guitar and singing over the cabin PA to well deserved applause from the punters. AirAsia is cheap as chips and very efficient - what's not to like on this easy 3.5 hour run between Perth and Bali.
RoutePerth to Denpasar

Review by (Indonesia) 22nd June 2015

Flew AirAsia from Jakarta to Bali and overall it was a pleasant flight. I've enjoy reading their magazines as a replacement to the IFE - which is understandable as it is a low cost carrier. The flight attendants were nice and the landing was pretty smooth.
RouteCGK to DPS

Review by (India) 4th June 2015

Air Asia India: Traveled from Delhi to Bangalore on May 23rd. One of the worst experiences I have had. We boarded the flight which was scheduled to depart at 5.25 pm but due to some technical reasons they returned from the runway and had to change the plane at the last moment. As a result the flight got delayed by almost 3 hours. Next surprise was that they did not offer complementary food considering everybody was just sitting in the plane for 3 hours. When some of us asked the reply was that they are not carrying sufficient food for everyone. The crew was inexperienced. They had no idea about how to handle the situation. I think Air Asia should focus on the quality of services before expanding their network.

Review by (United States) 5th May 2015

Flew Bangkok to Bali then Bali to Singapore. Planes were clean and new and seats were comfortable but small. I paid extra to book the first row and there was plenty of legroom. The first five rows are reserved for anyone who buys the premium seats (I think it cost about 10 bucks) and they were mostly empty on both flights so I was able to lay down and sleep across the second row. I pre-booked a meal for a few dollars and it was pretty good. Only complaint is they bus you to the plane from the terminal so boarding is a bit hectic. Overall great experience for a budget airline.

Review by (India) 4th May 2015

Round-trip from Goa to Bangalore on 29 April 2015. Later when I heard many bad reviews about Air Asia I was worried. But when I travelled all flights were on time. Crew were polite. Service was good.

Review by (India) 10th April 2015

TRZ-KUL-DPS-JOG and CGK-KUL-MAA. Travelled in the month of November 2014. Booked the tickets few months in advance good deal. All are A320 aircraft's neat and clean. Both ground staff and crew are good in service. Departed / Landed on time. Hope to travel again. Strongly recommend others for travelling in Air Asia.

Review by (Germany) 8th April 2015

Flew recently from Denpasar to Kuala Lumpur. Flight was delayed 2 hours. Notification when I was already on my way to the airport. Also cheap is something else with all the add ons you end up paying double to the advertised price. Had better experiences with Lionair / Tigerair for flights in Asia. No space in the aircraft and a small water costs 3$.

Review by (Australia) 6th April 2015

My flight was from Sydney to Kuala Lumpur on 30 March 2015 at 11.55am. At about 10.30am we were told the flight would leave 2.5 hours late. (We didn't board until after 3pm). Many of us would miss connecting flights I was told that I would be informed about my new connection in Kuala Lumpur. We arrived just after 9pm we handed our boarding passes and were told to wait. After an hour we were given boarding passes for our next flights and were told we had to collect our baggage to go to a hotel. We waited for an hour with our luggage then went through immigration and customs and left the airport to wait for a bus to our hotel. After midnight some of us started to realise that the promised hotel rooms were non-existent and went inside to be in the air conditioning. (We hadn't had food or water served for about five hours by this time.) One staff member yelled at people who were reluctant to leave again to wait for the hotel bus and security were called when one passenger started to complain loudly. A group of passengers were taken to a hotel and returned to our group outside the airport after an hour because they couldn't get them rooms. AirAsia staff then left us. I for example waited 12 hours outside the airport with all my luggage; I had no Malaysian currency to buy food because I was only in transit. No one offered me a food or drink voucher and not one AirAsia staff member apologised. Apparently this level of service is acceptable. I would never book with them again as it's a false economy: you might save a few dollars upfront but if something goes wrong AirAsia takes no corporate responsibility and you are on your own.

Review by (Malaysia) 6th April 2015

Using AirAsia 2 at least twice per month for the last 3 or so years. Majority of the flights were departing on time and many touch down even a few minutes before scheduled arrival With the new KLIA2 facilities AirAsia flights from/to Kuala Lumpur are now so much more enjoyable than before with the carrier operating out of LCCT.

Review by (Canada) 3rd April 2015

I have flown many flights with Air Asia and Air AsiaX over the past few years. I generally found them to be a value airline but my opinion is changing. I flew from HoChiMinhCity to Kuala Lumpur return. As with most discount airlines the "all in price" listed in the booking is hard to find. First of all you have to wade through the various ad-ons for baggage insurance etc deducting them as you go or you end up with an inflated fare. But to my surprise as I hadn't experienced this gouge before the booking imposed a $12 fee for using my credit card. As well the onboard duty free sales do not take credit cards only Malaysian currency and US dollars despite stating that all major currencies were accepted. My seat-mate on the inbound flight had to convince staff to accept Euros. All in all after all costs were added up the flight was only marginally cheaper than Vietnam Airlines and far less hassle with a full service carrier. Air Asia advertises low-cost but their fares have risen dramatically in the past few years. I don't think the average customer wants to have to spend time and energy having to find the "all in price" deducting the various ad-ons only to be stung at the end with the credit card charge. By then you are so fed up with the search for the initial fare that you just agree to pay the "fine" for using your credit card. In my caes it amounted to a surcharge of about 15%. The credit card companies charge their customers 3%. Flying discount airlines can be the only reasonable cost way to fly to some destinations. But always compare "all in" is an advertising pitch leaving you to find it.