Air New Zealand

Air New Zealand customer review

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | No better than the cheap budget airlines. Very average meal, the staff did smile which was good, but it took a long time to come back to remove the meal trays which meant a fair chunk of the flight was sitting bolt upright. But when we were checking in for our connecting flight the woman who was meant to assist in weighing bags was absolutely terrible. No eye contact, didn't know her job, didn't spend 1 min with us just said to go over to another staff and was clearly not interested in us at all, so she handed us onto a trainee who confidently spouted what turned out to be misinformation, and was rude and very defensive. The third Air New Zealand staff member actually knew what she was talking about but in stead of sympathising tried to defend the staff. Not what I would expect of a so called award winning airline.
RouteBali to Christchurch
Date FlownAugust 2018

"an almost perfect flight"

(Sierra Leone)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Auckland, this was an almost perfect flight. The crew were friendly, engaging and chatty - the purser spent time chatting to passengers and welcoming them aboard. There were top-ups of the champagne before take-off and the airline really excelled with their food and wine. They have a large list of high-end wines available, and were very proactive about getting passengers to taste them. The food was innovative and delicious - I had my first ever burger on a plane, and it was very good. IFE was well selected and varied. The amenity kit was great and high quality, and included lip balm and hand cream by a quality NZ company. Whilst the seat faced away from the window, I found the product itself very comfortable for both reclining and sleeping, and really liked the fact that they have a mattress on the bed, and large pillows - I slept really well. Loved everything about the trip!
RouteHong Kong to Auckland
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Flight home was the opposite"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Auckland to Denpasar. Flight to Bali was great - two meals, two rounds of drinks for each meal and the crew couldn't be more helpful. Flight home was the opposite - one meal, on drink and crew was very unhelpful. I felt the movie selection was limited also.
RouteAuckland to Denpasar
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Seat was very comfortable"

Trip Verified | Auckland to Vancouver. Outstanding service on a busy route. Meals and beverages were top class and very reflective of Kiwi cuisine. Seat was very comfortable both for reclining and sleeping. Cabin crew went out of his way to talk to customers, even shaking hands prior to being seated for landing.
RouteAuckland to Vancouver
Date FlownJuly 2018

"advise others to avoid them"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Auckland to Denpasar. In the past, Air New Zealand was a great airline. I have flown with them domestic and they were great with good customer service. But the international flight from Auckland to Denpasar wasn't as good. There was no proper food for economy, only snacks you buy on plane. They offered only water tea or coffee. The crew were mostly very rude and were bumping into people in the isle, talking very unfriendly etc. Not a great flight for long haul by any means, grumpy unfriendly staff, not a high quality airline for long haul and would advise others to avoid them unless flying within New Zealand. I have found Jetstar long haul is by far better than air NZ long haul.
RouteAuckland to Denpasar

"Would definitely recommend"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Nuku'alofa to Auckland. The flight was great and I had no problems whatsoever. My plane took off early and arrived early, the entertainment was amazing with all the latest movies and such, the food was pretty great and the service was very nice and welcoming. Would definitely recommend Air New Zealand
RouteNuku'alofa to Auckland
Date FlownJuly 2018

"would fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Auckland and Queenstown to Sydney this month. SYD-AKL was on the Boeing 787-9. This plane was new and clean, however I felt the seat backs were a bit too hard for my liking, not a big deal on a 2 hour flight but probably more uncomfortable on longer haul flights. The leg room was decent and comfortable (keeping in mind I am a short person). Due to a busy day at Sydney airport the flight departed 2 hours late. Our flight from Queenstown to Sydney was on the A320. It departed 15 minutes early and arrived in Sydney 25 minutes early. The seats were more comfortable on this aircraft, in my opinion. The entertainment systems on Air NZ were great, a wide selection of tv shows and movies, plus the touch system was easy to use. Even if you haven't paid for entertainment you can simply swipe your credit card under the TV screen and for $10NZD have unlimited entertainment for the flight. Due to flying during school holidays, the price wasn't the cheapest, but competitive with other airlines. The staff were courteous and professional, I would definitely recommend Air NZ and would fly with them again.
AircraftBoeing 787-9 / A320
RouteSydney to Auckland
Date FlownJuly 2018

"I would avoid this airline"

Trip Verified | Christchurch to Auckland. I thought they were good,but 3hrs before my domestic flight they just cancelled without any reasons. Placed me on another flight but that would mean i will miss my connecting flight. Had to reschedule all flights next day, no compensation at all. Next day, flight got delayed 1hr as well. I am trying to claim from insurance but they need to know the exact reason for flight cancellation,and Air New Zealand customer service email says they are busy at the moment and may take up to 20 days to reply. I would avoid this airline at all cost, surprised they are a member of star alliance at all to be honest.
RouteChristchurch to Auckland
Date FlownJuly 2018

"my airline of last resort"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Wellington to Queenstown. Over the last 35 years Air New Zealand have only really had four flights completely mucked up for me. Three of them have been in the last 6 months. They have cancelled flights due to mechanical problems with planes twice and now have lost my sons' bag. Worst of all the customer service team seems to be so used to complaints now that they no longer have the caring attitude they say recently had. Over the Lost bag we have had to contact them three times to get any sort of response and their response is a pathetic $100 offering for which we have to yet again stand in a queue at the baggage office at the airport. They have gone from being my carrier of choice to my airline of last resort. Such a shame to see a good brand being destroyed.
RouteWellington to Queenstown
Date FlownJuly 2018

"We are forever grateful"

Trip Verified | This was our 2nd Air New Zealand Perth to Las Vegas Premium Economy flight. Wife was unfortunately hospitalised in Las Vegas after a fall and our return was delayed by a week. Insurance Company contacted Air NZ and we were rebooked for a week later than original flights. Wife and accompanying nurse travelled Business, myself in Premium Economy. Ground and Aircrew of both United and Air NZ were outstanding in the care and concern for my wife's comfort and safety. Being unable to stand & walk she had to be lifted in and out of wheelchairs and seats. I was also given unrestricted entry into Business Class to visit her and during our Auckland stopover given complimentary to the business Lounge. We are forever grateful.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER