Air New Zealand

Review by (New Zealand) 3rd July 2015

I do five return trips from NZ to N America and usually one to Europe. I usually seek out the older aircraft with the more comfortable 3-3-3 seating on which I usually sleep at least six hours in an aisle seat. This time however was different. On the new 10 abreast B777 with the narrow seats, armrests and aisles. My usual aisle seat was most uncomfortable. It seems that the corporate policy is to strip the dignity of the majority of the passengers in order to promote higher profits up front. I am now considering having window seats but wearing nappies which would be more dignified - I look forward to more competition on these routes.
AircraftB777-300
RouteAuckland to LAX

Review by (New Zealand) 29th June 2015

LAX to AKL. This was a superb flight thanks to a professional crew and modern aircraft. Meal choices of a high standard. There was a choice of snacks and drinks available, and staff available throughout the flight. The mattress on the lie flat bed makes a difference.
RouteLos Angeles to Auckland

Review by (Australia) 26th June 2015

Two wonderful flights with engaging and helpful crews. Check in agent a little off hand and only issued connecting boarding pass for one of us. LAX Star Alliance lounge run by Air NZ much more pleasant then the old T2 lounge, NZ 5 flight left on time, meals and wines excellent. Slept very well. Connected with NZ 135 also left on time and Auckland lounge was good, food better that usual for breakfast although didn't need more than a snack. Flight to Brisbane equally competent. IFE on both excellent choice although only had the new system on NZ 5 which is a vast improvement on the old one. Bags off promptly and out of the airport in 15 minutes.
Aircraft777-300
RouteLAX to BNE via AKL

Review by (Australia) 15th June 2015

Again it was a joy to use the airlines Premium Economy cabin. It's a pity that other airlines do not follow Air New Zealand's lead in this product. The crew were brilliant as was the food. Will always choose this airline against others because of this product
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLos Angeles to Auckland

Review by (United Kingdom) 12th June 2015

Our initial flight was delayed by over 3 hours with very little explanation as to why. This meant that we missed our internal US connecting flight and had to spend the first night of our honeymoon bedded down at LAX airport. Because connecting flight was not packaged with ANZ, they were not in the slightest bit interested in helping us out. Complaint email took 6 days to get a response. When it came, it basically said 'tough'. Will never fly with them again and suggest anybody booked with them beware.

Review by (New Zealand) 6th June 2015

On 12 May I went to board a flight to Brisbane departing at 9pm. At no time was I informed I would be travelling on a Virgin plane with no inflight entertainment and a meal and drinks service that was all delivered in the first hour of the flight. Then we were told the lights would be off so we could rest. I didn't notice any children. The seats were uncomfortable with little padding. We were I offered ipads to watch the movie. I declined as I prefer the other things usually on offer. The plane was noisy and vibrated. I paid for The Works and don't feel at all satisfied with what I received.

Review by (Australia) 4th June 2015

Los Angeles to Auckland Business class. Air NZ have a great business class product very comfortable seats and staff lay out the bed with a mattress topper. Good IFE and food pretty good. Best thing was the staff so friendly and seem to really enjoy their job compared to all the other airlines we use over the years. Nothing is too much trouble for them.

Review by (United Kingdom) 31st May 2015

21/2/2015. ANZ 87. Auckland to Hong Kong. We boarded the 777 on time ready for take off the captain the informed us there would be a slight delay due to technical issues. 2 hrs later still sat on the plane the captain asked us to return to the terminal as the aircraft wasn't able to take off and we would have to fly later on a replacement plane. On returning to the terminal two staff were trying to deal with passengers concerns it was total chaos we were told our flight was now 7am. We were given a blanket and expected to sleep on the floor my wife and I are senior citizens. At 4 am we were given beverage vouchers Auckland Airports catering facilities are very poor from midnight to early morning. Communication was very poor and eventually after 7am told we would now be leaving at 9.30am. We eventually left at 10.30 am on 777 which was old poor seats inflight entertainment poor and food very poor. Due to the 10.5 hour delay we missed our connection to LHR. Air New Zealand is based at Auckland airport so you would expect them to be better organised there. As a long haul airline I would never use them again after this experience.

Review by (New Zealand) 31st May 2015

AKL-SIN in P/E. Overnight flight. Air NZ's P/E seats have varied over the past few years depending on aircraft type and routes. These former business-class-style leather seats are extremely comfortable. The only drawback is the footrest which is awkward. Main advantage in P/E is the legroom and space. Our view is that all seats should be like this. Economy cattle class now really is horrible. Air NZ's business class is superb but so much pricier. P/E is well worth the extra cost. If you are hesitating just try it. How nice to have a personal "Kia ora" message on your screen. Air NZ's safety video remains hmm quirky though some passengers now find it a little OTT and are fed up with the continued hyping of the Lord of the Rings movies. IFE was only adequate and offerings could have been more comprehensive. Food was excellent. It did seem unnecessary for the FAs to have to make two separate trips to serve up appetizers and main courses when one excursion would have sufficed. Not really a fan of overnight flights if arriving early in the morning (not the case if flying the other direction) as you have to wait hours to get into your hotel. I only doze or sleep an hour or so on flights. We had traveled to Auckland from Christchurch. A direct SQ flight in P/E when/if available (scheduled for September 2015) would be worth considering if you do not need to travel out of Auckland.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy

Review by (New Zealand) 29th May 2015

NZ104 19 April SYD-AKL on the Dreamliner. The team in the business class cabin worked non stop during this relatively short flight delivering excellent service. The plane which was apparently Air New Zealands launch 787 was still new and abounded in technology. There is now a marked difference in the video entertainment system compared to other aircraft. The video screen is now High Definition and is like using a smartphone app. One thing you do immediately notice in the cabin is the size of the windows the cabin had a nice open feeling and the dimming feature meant that you could set the lighting to almost any setting that was comfortable. The meals included some of Peter Gordons creations the poached chicken salad was huge and did me for the rest of the day.