Air New Zealand

"surprised by the amount of leg room"

Trip Verified | Flew Brisbane to Auckland with Air New Zealand. Boarded the aircraft on time, very clean, loading was finished for a right time departure. Didn't use the seatback entertainment system, as the couple next to me wished to chat. Very pleasantly surprised by the amount of leg room. My knees didn`t touch the seat in front and I'm over 6 foot four. Quite comfy as well. As it was only a three hour flight I didn't book a meal, but the people next to me did, looked okay and they said it was fine. The cabin crew kept me well topped up with mineral water, could have had tea or coffee. The cabin crew were very pleasant. More or less right time arrival, unfortunately there was no gate for us at Auckland airport so we stopped on a remote stand and were bussed to the terminal. Not really the airlines fault and it didn't take too long. The return flight was an Airbus A320 again clean, boarding commenced on time, again a clean well presented cabin. Not quite as much leg room. On time to push back a technical fault was found and a fitter had to be called resulting in a 30 minute late departure. These things happen with any machine. Due to high headwinds we had to aim for Melbourne before heading north for Brisbane. Again outside the airlines control. The meals looked ok, same menu, tea coffee and mineral water in good supply. Finally stopped at a very remote gate at Brisbane and a long walk to passport control, the Captain stood at the door and wished us all a good evening on disembarking. Both flights were naturally well supplied with the obligatory screaming babies.
RouteBrisbane to Auckland

"My flight was diverted"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | My flight was diverted from landing into Palmerston North to Wellington. The Air New Zealand staff explained before landing that a bus would be waiting for us on arrival to transfer us to Palmerston North but no directions on how to find the bus were given. I asked the staff again when landing with directions but no bus was found. I approached another staff member who gave wrong directions again. No one at anytime took a record of who was requiring a transfer and went with us to the bus. Only when I approached a volunteer did I get any personal help. She went with the group to find the bus no bus, she went to find a shuttle no shuttle and finally got us a taxi. She was great in cold and wet conditions.
RouteHamilton to Palmerston North
Date FlownJune 2018

"give you the round about"

Trip Verified | Misplaced luggage, no response after sending email - dropped luggage home delivery after 24 hrs. Not bitching about it but TSA snipped my lock. Cost me $45 to repair and ANZ did not have the decency to communicate with me yes or no on refund. Just give you the round about after 3 emails. They tell you: need to contact ANZ SFO, ANZ SFO need to contact ground Staff. Ground Staff - not our job, try NZ Customer service etc. Who the hell then? To this day my email went to a black hole. No customer service gotten back to me - on any answer on the refund repair lock. Yes we will refund, No, we will not refund.
RouteMelbourne to San Francisco via Auckland
Date FlownMay 2018

"sincerely thank the stewardess"

Trip Verified | We just had a family holiday to the US via Air New Zealand in economy class. On our return my youngest son didn’t feel well during the flight. As we transfer plane at Auckland airport bound to Perth, he was able to take panadol and an hour of sleep but still didn’t do any help. After a 4 hr stopover, we boarded our flight bound to Perth=. As my son seated in the economy class, he slept curling on his father’s shoulder. Looking at this, I approached one of the Stewardess and requested for vacant seats so my son can lay down and sleep. After my explanation, she led me to 3 vacant seats, and he moved and slept for the flight to Perth. While my son was asleep, I went to check him and saw the 3 seats converted into skycouch (with no extra charge to us). I am very much grateful to Air New Zealand for their sensitivity to its customer’s needs and I would like to sincerely thank the stewardess for giving my son the nice and comfortable acommodation.
RouteLos Angeles to Perth via Auckland

"unorganized staff"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | My flight was cancelled due to operational faults or something. I paid 193$ to fly from Auckland to Rotorua. So as soon as the flight got cancelled Air New Zealand sends a text to my cellphone that my flight is cancelled and they can re issue the flight for free. So I go onto their designated link and find out there is a flight on the same day but the link is not letting me book it and I have to be in Rotorua on that day. I rushed to the AIR NZ customer support and was telling them about it and the receptionist was talking on the phone to someone for a while. I was telling her that the link is not letting me book the next flight and after that she's like sorry sir the flight is all booked and the next flight available was the next day. Then I was told that Air NZ is going to arrange a airport transfer bus to Rotorua. I told them that I had back pain and that was the reason I booked a flight. They told me that my only option was to catch the bus. So not having any more choices I boarded the bus. My question is why is an international airline like Air New Zealand have unorganized staff and is the bus fare from Auckland to Rotorua 193$.
RouteAuckland to Rotorua
Date FlownMay 2018

"This airline is hopeless"

Trip Verified | After paying for an Air New Zealand flight we were flown by hifly Portugal. We were not told beforehand we would be flying with them, No in-flight entertainment, half a roll for the meal, plane running late, absolutely filthy seating/plane, staff unable to understand clear English and after sending a complaint to the Air New Zealand customer complaints department I received a response that made it obvious they probably had not even read the complaint. When I complained about this to the same person who had obviously not read the complaint, I was told nothing could be done. I just tried to contact Air New Zealand direct but could not get through and am sick of wasting my time. This airline is hopeless, don't waste your valuable time with them! I have flown over 150 flights and this is definitely the worst of them.
RouteSydney to Auckland
Date FlownMarch 2018

"expecting a whole lot better"

Not Verified | San Francisco to Auckland. I was expecting a whole lot better, especially as the flight was relatively expensive. Food and beverage service was sub standard, IFE options limited, customer service abrupt and robotic. Saving grace was the seat was quite comfortable. I’ll be flying with another airline next time.
RouteSan Francisco to Auckland

"disgracefully patronising"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Auckland to Christchurch. Pathetic effort by this low cost carrier. I arrived an hour before departure at Auckland. Three machines would not let me check in because they could not print bag tags. The 3rd one told me to go to the checkin desk - here is one, and there was 36 people queued up. After 20 minutes, with cut off approaching, I went to the special assistance counter. Flustered, I made a mistake putting the tag on (a new style without dots to line up). Then the queue at special assistance had grown - still no staff assisting at the kiosk. Ended up at premium desk with an agent who kept screaming just come and see me I’ll make everything right - disgracefully patronising. There had been a cancellation of the flight so why didn't they deploy other staff to help, rather than taking them from the kiosks.. Finally got on board, sat and waited for over 30 minutes waiting for refuelling - issue 6 hours earlier at Auckland. Once we pulled back, the flight attendant allowed travelling sports people to keep headphones on through the briefing. And later in the flight when they had their feet everywhere on seats, arms of the seats and tray tables the staff did nothing. Dreadful.
RouteAuckland to Christchurch
Date FlownMay 2018

"suggest this is a budget airline"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Auckland to Sydney. Let me start by saying that this airline is by no means the worlds best. The airline charged me $130 for the 1 check in bag that weighed 7kg! The experience at the airport is okay but its obvious that the lounge is now getting a little old, the toilet hygiene is not great and quality and selection of food is very low Once on the plane the you cant actually enjoy a movie without paying $10 which would suggest that this is a budget airline. This was food was only offered at a price and head phones looked as thought they had been recycled since the 90s.
RouteAuckland to Sydney

Air New Zealand customer review

Trip Verified | Sydney to Rarotonga. This was by far the worst flight experience with a Star Alliance Carrier so far, especially the cabin crew. We flew Premium Economy. Seats etc. were ok although outdated in regards to comfort which was probably because we flew with an older 777-200ER. However we never experienced such a bad crew: - Safety: they did not show much concern for safety or did everything in a rush. When they prepared the cabin for landing they were in such a rush that they did not even check if we had our seatbelts on. One of the crew members was more busy looking outside the door window to look at the islands. Service: very bad, slow and unfriendly. - Entertainment: best part of the flight, although the volume of announcements during the flight (even safety related) were so low you almost could not hear them which maybe was the reason why we missed a welcome announcement of some sort. - Crew did not care for the passengers or to keep the cabin tidy. Not once in a 5 hour flight they cleaned up the rubbish or asked if we would like to have more drinks. We had to hold on to our used coffee cups and cans even during the landing because they did not prepare the cabin for landing. Towards the end of the flight they served a small breakfast when the pilot informed them to prepare cabin for landing which put them out of concept and put everyone in a rush. This was by far the worst flight in a premium cabin we ever had. It was the first time we flew with this airline and after our return flight it will also be the last time. Compared to other Star Alliance members the difference, especially looking at the crew, is like day and night. Not recommended!
AircraftBoeing 777-200ER