Air New Zealand

"All in all a great flight"

Verified Review | Brisbane to Auckland. This flight was short due to the strong tail wind, 2 hours 20 minutes. The food and wine were so good you wanted the flight to be longer. We were the last to check in, the staff member at check in was Ok but basically looked like he wanted the experience to be over. Lounge in BNE was fine but morning tea type food so didn't eat anything. On board the service was great, very personal from the first moment on board. The wine selection was superb and the meal itself really enjoyable. Didn't use IFE other than to listen to music on take off and landing but looked fine. Bags were about a 3 minute wait on arrival at AKL. A long queue to depart customs but were still in a cab before the original time that the plane was due to land. All in all a great flight.
RouteBrisbane to Auckland
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"find the crew very engaging, hospitable and friendly"

Verified Review | Auckland to Sydney with Air New Zealand. The trip started off with the Premium Check In area, which did not seem premium in any way because all I saw was the Ground Crew just directing people, not actually checking passengers into their flights. After the security, I gave the Lounge a visit and enjoyed breakfast. Boarding time did not match the boarding pass, with priority boarding not enforced which meant passengers were all over the place. A very warm welcome by the Cabin Crew once onboard with a welcome drink on offer straight away. I decided to have a second breakfast once airborne and the food selection was very good. From what I observed, I find the crew very engaging, hospitable and friendly which was a big difference from my recent trips with Virgin and Qantas. The flight had slight turbulence, with a smooth landing into Sydney. Looking forward to another trip with this great airline.
RouteAuckland to Sydney
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"friendly crew were great"

Verified Review | Great flying by fine pilots - no turbulence / bumpiness felt at all till descent. IFE amazing - great music lists and other interesting stuff. Having USB charger plus spacious seat pocket and traditional remote control is great. Old plane but interior refurbishment made it sparkle. Overall very clean - bathroom more spacious than other airlines and even had sprayed scents! Friendly crew were great.
RouteAuckland to Melbourne
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"how bare-bones they are now"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | I first flew on Air New Zealand in 1986 when I moved to New Zealand. I do not expect the service and amenities to be the same now as then but am disappointed on how bare-bones they are now. For instance: on a 14+ hour flight from Auckland to Houston there is no snack, beverage or even water served until the meal about two hours into the flight. I know snacks are not about nourishment but to alleviate boredom and make it seem as though something is happening. I can't verify it but I'm sure the meal trays are shrinking. Dinner, while usually good, was appalling. Some sort of mystery chicken chunks with a spicy sauce and rice. Breakfast (I chose the fruit option) was only one muffin, one container of yoghurt and a measly fruit plate including—in the height of the USA's growing season—two slices of canned peaches! That was it as far as food went. I did go to the galley to get a cookie in the night. During the long night a flight attendant came by with water only once. I have restless legs and don't sleep for more than an hour or two at a time and even then very lightly so it wasn't that I missed the water coming around. That was okay with me though as I brought my own 2 liters of water as I won't drink water stored in tanks on aircraft's. I've flown round trip on a Air New Zealand long haul flights on average twice every three years for thirty years. My previous flight to the US was on American Airlines in May 2017, also in economy. I wasn't expecting much but was happily surprised. They still gave out hot towels after takeoff and one other time (I forgot when, maybe before breakfast) they also gave out snacks and a beverage after takeoff and all water was from sealed water bottles. They had lots of different snacks in the galley during the night, not just small Cookie Time cookies and some sort of chips. I still like Air New Zealand for domestic flights and will fly with them if the price is right. I tried to "one up" to premium economy but my bid wasn't high enough. I feel it is a safe airline and that's the most important thing but 14+ hours is a long time. The in seat entertainment is great, I watched four movies as well as reading an e-book. I gave a 4 rating for value for money because safety is the most important thing and crew were pleasant.
RouteAuckland to Houston
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"cancelled with no prior notice"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Christchurch to Wellington. As a New Zealand Citizen I can say I have zero bias in this topic. My last flight with Air NZ was cancelled with no prior email notice and resulted in me having to wait a number of hours for the next flight. It was a small 2:2 domestic flight (around 1 hour air time) leaving on a clear night however cancelled without notice. When I asked the ticket staff they were unable to give me a reason as to why the flight was cancelled. This is purely theory however It is likely that they cancelled the earlier flight due to the fact that the passengers of my original flight and of the one I ended up taking could have fit in one plane. Although this is a smart business decision (cutting costs for the same gain) it is a betrayal of customer trust and time. Not only was I not given a reson for the cancel but was too given no notification of it until reaching the airport. To top off the night the plane I was switched to ended up leaving atleast 20 min late. All this in comparison to the fact that it was a simple domestic flight is disappointing.
RouteChristchurch to Wellington
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"the staff acting blunt and rude"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Noumea to Napier via Auckland. Paid an extra $350.00 for movies on the plane and one food option - says drinks provided but only get two, probably a total value of $35.00. Landed in Auckland and Napier flight cancelled due to an engineering problem and have to wait 13 hours for another flight. 2 flights were cancelled at the same time due to weather issues, why would you not use one of these planes to fly to Napier instead? All in all a disappointing experience with the staff acting blunt and rude to the customers I saw in line and myself rather then sorry and genuine.
RouteNoumea to Napier via Auckland
Date FlownAugust 2017

"ground based care is shameful"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Auckland to Hi Chi Minh City. I fly with Air New Zealand a lot. The more I fly the less they care. I am not getting my star alliance status points. And have spent many hours on the phone. Why does this matter. I should be gold. But have been denied this. I paid for koru to get the status I should have. But am still not getting the status. Or even the perks I have paid for. 800 bucks still not getting lounge access or priority boarding or priority luggage. The call centre actually makes me suicidal. This is not a joke. The ground based care is shameful.
RouteAuckland to Hi Chi Minh City
Date FlownAugust 2017

"their standards have slipped"

Verified Review | Sydney to Los Angeles via Auckland. Having flown to the US a few times with Air New Zealand, it is unfortunate to see that their standards have slipped and service is inconsistent. Overall the experience in Business Premier was acceptable considering the special price I booked. I used to recommend the airline but I would be less enthusiastic to recommend Air NZ if paying full price for Business or if flying in economy. The check-in at Sydney Airport was absolutely appalling, the whole experience took 40 minutes and after waiting 15 minutes in the priority line I was rudely told to go back to the automatic check-in machines, despite other passengers in the business check-in being served at the counter. The check-in machines didn't work properly (which is why I went straight to the counter), so a staff member had to be located to do it for me, then I had to drag the bags back to the check-in counter to stand in line again for another 15 minutes at least. I understand this is the process when flying in economy, but this fell so short of the mark for business it wasn't funny, and the different treatment for other (older) customers was insulting. When I did eventually manage to get to the lounge in Sydney, the barista service was nice, I was able to find a seat and the choice of food was good. However I preferred the vastly superior views at the old lounge (before they renovated about 3 years ago I think). The Business Premier seats on the 777s are comfortable and I find the bed excellent. The meal service overall was fine. I prefer to dine in the lounge instead and only eat lightly on the flight. I recommend taking the Peter Gordon dining options where offered, or having the cold appetizer or soup (which they always seem to have) as those are the most reliable. The breakfast smoothies are also consistently excellent. I had waffles for breakfast and that was also good. On the return flight from San Francisco to Auckland, I found the menu options a bit unappetizing. Usually I have the fast dine option, but it was a creamy cauliflower soup which is not what I wanted, so I ended up with three courses of a cold Gazpacho soup (good), chicken main (average) and lemon shortcake dessert (average). The hot breakfast options were eggs or pancakes which I didn't bother with, I just had the continental breakfast of a smoothie then fruit and yoghurt, all of which was fine. Having taken this route with Air NZ a few times both on the old 747s and the 777s, unfortunately it is noticeable how much noisier the 777s are. Even with noise cancelling headphones, the noise was annoying on the return flight and it reduced my sleep time. The 300s are marginally quieter than the 200s but compared to being at the front of a 747 or an A380s it is loud. If you are flying to LA the 787s would be great, but the San Francisco flights are on 777s. Air NZ use the Singapore Airlines lounge at SFO. I understand it's the best of an average bunch and the only one with airside showers apart from United First. Food options in the lounge were quite good. If you want to use the showers, make sure you get in quick as they had a total of four towels and couldn't be bothered to get any in until the next Singapore flight after the Air NZ one had left, very poor service. I had to buy a towel at the airport as a result. You also have to ask them to unlock the showers, what a pain. Singapore staff asked us to leave 5 minutes after boarding was called, and they shut the lounge to clean it for their flight.
RouteSydney to Los Angeles via Auckland
Date FlownAugust 2017

"couldn't pay by my airpoints"

(China)

Verified Review | Auckland to Nadi on June 27th. The economy class was almost full. My Seat was 41D. My fare did not include the meal. The PTV system mentioned that I could use airpoints to buy any food, but when I bought a cola by the PTV system, I couldn't pay by my airpoints. Staff came to help me, but they also had no way to deal with this problem..
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteAuckland to Nadi
Date FlownJune 2017

"plying passengers with booze"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Perth via Auckland. My wife and I have traveled extensively in first and business class and decided to fly to the USA from Perth via Auckland with Air New Zealand. Normally we would travel through Singapore, but since we had not been to NZ before, we decided to route via Auckland. The herring bone seating arrangement made it very difficult to look out the window and so you spend a lot of time looking inward at fellow passengers, who are looking at you. However, once the bed was down and you were sleeping, this was no longer a problem. But, this is when another disadvantage of this close racked seating became more apparent, the unpleasant smells vented by nearby passengers had you reaching for the air ventilation nozzle, unfortunately this does not exist on the 787. The food was probably down with the worst we have experienced, but the cabin staff did their best to offset this by plying passengers with booze, it seemed their mantra was a drunk passenger was a happy passenger. In any small group, there are always a couple who lack the restraint to drink in moderation, further adding to the discomfort of fellow travelers.
AircraftB777 and B787