Air New Zealand

Review by (United States)

The seat was comfortable because they add a foam mattress after extending the bed. The food was excellent, and the crew were lovely, cheerful and helpful. I have experienced crews on other airlines either making me feel like an idiot because I could not operate something, or acting put upon when I ask for help reaching the overhead bin (I am 5 feet tall and reaching retirement age).
RouteAuckland to Los Angeles

Review by (South Korea)

I like their simple cabin design and the service. Luckily, I got a ticket at a reasonable price at that time. Cabin crews were polite and seats are quite comfy, considering it was an economy class.
RouteChristchurch to Wellington
Date FlownSeptember 2014

Review by (United States)

Unbelievably uncomfortable seating in a 3-4-3 configuration. I can see why the nickname is "Cripple 7". Also aisles are so narrow that it would be dangerous in an emergency. Asked the airline after a previous flight if it was in fact safe and got a form reply about "meeting international standards". Won't be doing this again although I have travelled a lot on AirNZ in the past (when they were a better airline). Cabin crew seem dispirited and indifferent - don't blame them.
RouteAuckland to San Francisco

Review by (United States)

Stopped flying premium economy when they alternated 777-300 and 777-200 usually without warning and the premium economy on the 200 was basically the same as economy but at twice the price. So now it's economy as business is ridiculously expensive. Flew August 6. Seat was narrow and hard and pitch angle meant seat in front was 3 inches from my nose. 3-4-3 seating does not work at all plus some of the toilets seemed to have been removed to get more seats in. Also seats are arranged so that if in the aisle seat which I was you can not put your legs out straight in front of you but must sit at an angle which is bad on a 13 hour flight. Safety video was too cute and irritating for words. At least they have got over their Lord of the Rings obsession but they need to focus on having a safety video to give safety information and forget the amateurish attempts at entertainment and use the money saved to fix the product.
RouteSan Francisco to Auckland

Review by (Australia)

Travelled to San Francisco via Auckland from Melbourne with 2 adults and 2 children (8 and 2) in Premium Economy. We had been given complimentary use of lounge in Melbourne. The crew were fantastic . Transfered after a 2 hour layover in Auckland for our flight to San Francisco. The food was Ok but the childrens meals left a lot to be desired. They only had once choice option so lucky we took snacks with us for them. Again service from the crew was wonderful. The space seats were great for the kids to sleep in. Maybe they could recline a bit more but on the whole they were great. Our return flight from Los Angeles was okay, but when we arrived in Auckland they did not have out stroller waiting for us. After a lot of confusion we were told it had been put in the cargo hold and was being transferred to our flight to Australia. Having a 2.5 layover in Auckland with a tired grumpy child is not pleasant, but when we boarded the flight home we were given our seats but not the extra things you get when you travel Premium Economy. No noise cancelling headphones and the children got their meals - but we didn't, until we complained. Our experience coming home was very disappointing. On complaining to Air New Zealand all we got for compensation were some airport dollars awarded to my account.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteMelbourne to San Francisco via AKL
Date FlownMay 2015

Review by (New Zealand)

Fantastic service as always with Air NZ. Seat quality and aeroplane upkeep was excellent. Good meals, although I slept through one. When I asked for a snack later, friendly staff took me down to the galley, and let me choose a tray of whatever I liked. I needed some assistance connecting my phone, and again, the staff handled it all for me. Didn't push the business class priority to the point that made economy 3rd class citizens, staff were friendly and welcoming throughout.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteLHR to AKL via LAX

Review by (Australia)

Auckland to Christchurch return on A320. Flight to Christchurch Koru Hour flight meaning alcoholic beverages and Cheese and cracker or vegetable crisps served. Bags out quickly at Christchurch. Flight to Auckland biscuits or vegetable crisps served along with tea/coffee or water. Bags out after 25 minutes. Seat room pretty good. However for the very tall, could be issue. Flight fast lasting about an hour in both directions. Seated in 23F and 23A respectively. Good value flight for the duration.
RouteAuckland to Christchurch

Review by (New Zealand)

3 hour hop across Tasman left on time and arrived ahead of time. Meal served plus drinks water and coffee. Flight crew excellent always available and friendly during service. Entertainment has loads of offerings and choices.
RouteChristchurch to Melbourne

Review by (New Zealand)

After delayed arrival of connecting inbound flight it was always going to be a rush to catch Air NZ flight in Melbourne but Air NZ made sure all connecting passengers were on board before departure. Service was fine and a meal offered and drinks. Lots of movies and shows to watch for 3 hour hop across Tasman arriving on time back in Christchurch. It was always going to be a struggle and none of the delayed passengers luggage made the connection so remained in Melbourne. It is moments like this that AIR NZ customer service comes to the front and you can see why they look after their passengers. Details were taken and arrangements made with bags placed on the next flight arriving in late at night. Air NZ called first thing to advise bags had arrived and would be delivered that morning by van. Don't blame Air NZ for bags missing flight and the efforts to make sure the delay was kept to a minimum was good.
RouteMelbourne to Christchurch
Date FlownJuly 2015

Air New Zealand customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

It had been some time since I used this airline and I did so with hesitation as I had had bad experiences in the past. I now regret giving them another chance as I had another bad experience. Check-in was fine and boarding prompt if mechanical. The seats were shockingly narrow. The catering was OK but a far cry from experiences on Asian rivals and certain European airlines for that matter. The cabin crew were efficient enough but robotic in many respects. After such a long flight I was tired and very uncomfortable. In the good old days Air New Zealand used a wonderful Boeing 747 on this route and had a generous baggage allowance. Time have changed and not for the better either. I will not use this airline again!
RouteLondon to Los Angeles