Airline of the Year

Air New Zealand

"never use this airline again"

Verified Review | Christchurch to Sydney via Auckland. As Air New Zealand does not have business class trans tasman from some cities I had to take my flight via Auckland. We took off on time but, unfortunately there was a medical emergency on board and the flight had to land back in Christchurch. I understand and support the fact that the aircraft turned around to ensure the health of the passenger. There were numerous passengers connecting on different flights. I asked the crew member and she told me that the airline had made arrangements on arrival in Auckland for connecting flights and that we would need to hurry to catch the connecting flight. Arrived in Auckland and were met by an Air New Zealand staff member and were put on a bus to international terminal. At no time was I told that they would not hold the connecting flight NZ105. Had to run through the terminal and immigration to try and catch the flight, there was an Air New Zealand representative outside immigration who told me the gate had closed a few minutes ago and that I needed to go to the international transfer desk. I attended the transfer desk only to be advised that I would be put on an alternative flight, I was happy with that but it was not a business class flight. I have paid for a business class flight so I expect to be put on a business class flight. Staff at the transfer counter could not give a dam about it, just rolled their eyes and said oh well. I asked for a refund and the lady handed me the telephone of which there was a long wait to talk to an Air New Zealand staff member for my refund. I hung up and then asked to speak to the manager who told me that I could get a refund at the ticketing office in the departures hall or by submitting a email. I then had to proceed back the other way though immigration and customs to the check in terminal and book a business class flight on QF so I could get back to Sydney. I managed to get a flight immediately and I paid full fare for the flight. Under advice from the manager at the transfer desk I then proceeded to the ticket office to get a refund. I was then told that this could not be done and I had to ring up. Emailed the Air New Zealand executive teams personal emails with a complaint over a week ago and still have not heard anything back. Will never use this airline again.
RouteChristchurch to Sydney via Auckland

"poor customer service"

Verified Review | After looking forward to flying with Air New Zealand from Auckland to Hong Kong we were extremely disappointed with their poor customer service. We upgraded to a Skycouch as my wife has arthritis and we paid an additional £300 for this. On boarding we discovered they had made an error and not booked us the Skycouch. We were promised a refund. Almost 2 months later they still owe us £300 and have failed to respond to any emails, or return phone calls when promised they will arrange someone to phone us back. Their lack of customer care is appalling. We were not the only ones they made a booking error with and we were told by inflight staff that the service centre are always making errors. They clearly do not take care with their service and can't be bothered dealing with their customers. Even before we flew they failed to answer emails. At the airport didn't offer any help to my disabled wife, just passing us between one person and another who couldn't just advise us where to go for the necessary wheelchair.
RouteAuckland to Hong Kong

"They replaced my bag"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Tokyo to Auckland. I traveled firstly from Whangarei to Auckland and the baggage handlers seriously damaged my bag. I Flow the next day and on arrival e-mailed Air NZ. The response was immediate, and was sorted out then and there. They replaced my bag so I was able to travel 3 weeks with no hastles. Narita Airport ground staff were fantastic. I am Gluten intolerant and the meals were great.
RouteTokyo to Auckland
Date FlownMay 2017

"unimpressed with the lack of care"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Booked through Air New Zealand Star Alliance, flight got cancelled and only got notified once at the airport. Shocking service from both Air New Zealand and Virgin. Should have arrived in the Gold Coast mid afternoon, will now arrive around 2.30am. Have lost money in pre paid accomodation and childcare but got told refunding our tickets wasn't even an option. Neither airline wanted to know about it. I would not recommend using Air New Zealand's Star Alliance service, very unimpressed with the lack of care factor for the passengers time and loss of money.
RouteAuckland to Gold Coast
Date FlownMay 2017

"the service was excellent"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | I flew Auckland direct to Perth on 23 March 2017 in premium economy (25J) with Air New Zealand. The service was excellent and the extra leg room is very welcome. Very nice meal. Would like the seats to have a little more cushioning for long haul flights otherwise no complaints at all.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteAuckland to Perth
Date FlownMarch 2017

"staff on NZ449 were outstanding"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Auckland to Wellington. The staff on the flight NZ449 were outstanding. I was travelling with my daughter back home and they topped our trip off. She had a grin on her face from the start of the flight until the end of the flight. Thank you for making her feel like she was the only one on the plane. She will definitely remember this experience!
RouteAuckland to Wellington
Date FlownApril 2017

"not willing to give us refunds"

Verified Review | We were supposed to fly with Air New Zealand from Melbourne to Queenstown on Friday 31/03/2017. 9:10 am was the original departure time, however was delayed again and again without letting us know the updated estimated departure time, and without letting us know the reason for delay. This is absolutely fine, as delay happens to any flight. At about 11:30am, finally, we started boarding. At about 12:15pm, about 40min after boarding, all the passengers were pulled off from the aircraft, without letting us know the reason. Then, we were asked to wait for another hour for further instructions. At about 1pm the flight was cancelled. This is also fine, as long as they have other plans to bring us there. At about 2:30pm, after another long wait, they arranged us to fly to Sydney and then interchange to Queenstown, and the arrival time in Queenstown will be 2:30pm on the second day. This arrangement was unacceptable to us. We explained our situation again and again but they did nothing, and without a single word for apology. Immediately after that, we booked another flight that will arrive Queenstown in the early morning. After this, we did not get refunds for the tickets. The counter asked us to call the sales representative, then the representative asked us to call our booking agent, but the booking agent asked us to call airline sales representative. What's wrong with Air NewZealand? They cancelled the flight, but they were not willing to give us refunds.
RouteMelbourne to Queenstown

"still managed to sleep"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Must say having had a fantastic experience a few days earlier to get this flight it made this flight much easier. The plane was packed full with people however, I never felt like I didn't have enough space. On a 10.5 hour flight I still managed to sleep for more than 5 hours. Really liked the staff and the way the plane was organized.
RouteLos Angeles to London
Date FlownMarch 2017

"very professional, experienced staff"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Flew from London to Los Angeles. Was curious to fly Air New Zealand expecting it would be good. After many hours of flights on all kind of airlines, I must say it was a fantastic (kiwi) experience. Very professional, experienced staff, I loved the space on the 777-300 and managed to have a very good sleep. The system to order a drink is fantastic. The inflight Entertainment is not as good as the Middle East competitors, but the comfort and staff made it much easier to deal with the trip.
AircraftBoeing 777-300 (B773)
RouteLondon to Los Angeles
Date FlownMarch 2017

"plane was clean and new"

Verified Review | Flew from Auckland to Christchurch with Air New Zealand, plane was clean and new, seats were comfortable and the crew were very professional. Service was excellent for the short flight, complimentary tea, coffee and water were provided along with a light snack and lollies.
AircraftA320-232 (SL)