Air New Zealand

"it was utterly underwhelming"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Christchurch to Sydney return in Works Deluxe. Both flights departed on time and both arrived early. Outbound flight all promised elements provided. Wine quality was pretty hideous. No second round of drinks offered. Beef casserole was tasteless and very small. Bag arrived promptly. In bound flight-no premium check-in provided, again chose the beef casserole - again, very small and tasteless; again wine selection poor. CSM sought out elite members and made nice with them, ignored other passengers (this is standard in my experience on Air New Zealand). Bag very slow in appearing. On the whole, for their premium product on A320 it was utterly underwhelming. Just as well that I was paying with APD.
RouteChristchurch to Sydney
Date FlownNovember 2017

"definitely punches above its weight"

Trip Verified | I was very eager to try Air New Zealand during my recent trip to Tahiti. It was my first time in their Premiim Economy cabin. A flight attendant introduced herself to passengers on board and explained the features on the seat. Meal service was done business class style - the entree and dessert are served on a tray and the main course followed. The seat was upholstered with leather and had a very good recline and pitch. I was very impressed by the cheerfulness and enthusiasm of the flight attendants on board. Despite the AKL-PPT-AKL turnaround route being a tiring long red-eye flight, they remained at their very best throughout the 5-hour flight attending to and anticipating passengers’ needs. At Auckland Airport, Premium Economy passengers had a dedicated check-in lounge shared with business class. Luggage was tagged as priority and priority boarding was also accorded to Premium Economy passengers. Air New Zealand’s Premium Economy product definitely punches above its weight.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteAuckland to Tahiti
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Couldn't have been happier"

Verified Review | Despite reserving this flight from Melbourne to Christchurch via Virgin I got the code-share equivalent of Air NZ's "The Works". Couldn't have been happier! It placed me on seat 1D and the service was one of the most caring and generous: Flight attendant helped me to raise the IFE screen whenever they saw me trying They even reserved overhead locker space for my row's bags They even wanted to help me put my case into it. Every 20min a flight attendant would ask if anyone needs water. The only regrets were narrow the seat width and seat pocket. Also disconcerting was the frequent turbulence - descent was rough.
RouteMelbourne to Christchurch
Date FlownNovember 2017

"extremely friendly and accommodating"

Verified Review | Long-haul flight with Air New Zealand from Auckland to Singapore. The plane was new and the cabin interior appealing. The seat was comfortable, which allowed me to get some sleep. The cabin staff were – as always with Air NZ – extremely friendly and accommodating. I had ordered a Vegetarian special meal, and the food was very tasty, even though the quantity was rather limited. Furthermore, Air NZ did not offer a bar during the flight, which I found rather unusual for such a long distance. Overall, however, it was a pleasant experience.
RouteAuckland to Singapore

"Very poor experience"

Verified Review | Very poor experience on a flight from Sydney to Auckland. The flight was scheduled to arrive on Sunday, shortly before midnight; we actually arrived on Monday night at around 7.30pm with an almost 20-hour delay. The positive side was that the airline personnel was always friendly despite the situation. The negative side was the underwhelming information policy. We were informed about the cancellation of the flight at around 10pm after having spent almost six hours at the airport even though the reasons for the cancellation (late incoming flight because of technical difficulties, impossibility to return because of nighttime curfew at Sydney airport) should have been clear much earlier. After several instances of queuing, we were checked in at the hotel, which the airline provided to us, by 1AM. The buses picked us up the next morning at 7AM. We had been told that the flight would leave at 10.30AM. When we arrived at the airport, we were told that the flight would not leave before 11.40AM, which was gradually pushed back for incomprehensible reasons to 2.30pm. People were often waiting at the gate at the (newly) announced boarding time, without anything happening and without getting any information about the further delay. It seems that Air New Zealand really needs to work on their protocol in such situations. That you have delays because of technical difficulties happens now and then, but I never had a similarly disorganised experience in the past.
RouteSydney to Auckland
Date FlownOctober 2017

"better than I had expected"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Wellington to Sydney. They have very good flight time at 10:15 am which arrives at noon in Sydney. The best part is what they called Work Deluxe, which is more like a premium economy on other airlines. The small single-aisled air craft has 3x3 seating and no business class. Work + Bag and Work deluxe is almost like their "Business class", with the front 3 rows of seats used for that, with a middle seat blocked (guaranteed) to create a bit more space between passengers. For work deluxe they give bottled water, noise canceling headphone, landing form with free pen, a free meal, free drinks including alcohol. Priority baggage and brooding too. I find the whole thing even better than I had expected, the service was great too! I had a problem with self check-in, the staffs at the airport were very helpful and courteous. One would have to pay premium price , easily 3 times more that what I had paid, to get that on their competitors like Qantas, which only uses a small 737, but they do have a business class installed. I really see a lot of value for money here, as confirmed by my seat mate, who is a regular on that route.
RouteWellington to Sydney

"Last time with Air NZ"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Auckland to Christchurch. Air NZ shares code with Singapore Airlines and even for a combined itenery Air Nz is too lazy to pass the check in baggage with partner airlines. I had to manually take my check in luggage and check in again on my further way to Singapore with just layover time of 1.5 hr. On top of it, Air NZ staff at Auckland reception desk at domestic terminal is too blunt and rude that I have done a mistake by buying Air NZ ticket. She told me that if I will show attitute then she would call her boss, while I just got frustrated, attitude is a word when you raise your voice and start getting angry. she has more power like she was suffering there. Ugly and useless people are hired by Air Nz in customer service like answering prisoners committing crime buyong their ticket. Last time with Air NZ, better is even Jetstar.
RouteAuckland to Christchurch
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Crew were extremely friendly"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Flew Wellington to Hong Kong via Auckland. Due to the Auckland airport fuel crisis (damaged pipes) the plane had to stopover in Australia to refuel fully (as many other airlines did). During the stopover which delayed the flight about 45 minutes on arrival the crew were very good, constantly offering water, coffee, tea and light snacks as we were not allowed to exit the aircraft. In the air the meal options were very good and were good for both majorities on board (Hong Kong Citizens and New Zealand Citizens) with Asian and European style meals available to suit everybody. The inflight entertainment was good, but it was still the same from when I flew to Sydney in April and July, making it hard to find something I would like that I hadn't already watched. Boarding was prompt and everything was done in an orderly fashion. Crew were extremely friendly and did their absolute best to make sure everybody was seen to in the entire flight. Would definitely recommend Air New Zealand for long haul travel.
AircraftBoeing 777-200ER
RouteWellington to Hong Kong via Auckland
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"gives the experience a low-cost feel"

Verified Review | Light and shadow on this Air New Zealand flight from Auckland to Melbourne. The outbound trip was on a B77W, the inbound trip on an A320. Like many airlines today, Air New Zealand offers different fare options where you either have only carry-on luggage, a checked bag or checked-bag, meals and movies. I chose the basic option without even a checked bag. You still get a decent amount of free water, tea and coffee on the flight and can make use of the non-movie part of the IFE, in particular their great music selection. One further downside of the two most basic fare options is that Air NZ requires you to pay for choosing your seat even at check-in, which gives the experience a low-cost feel. If you do not pay, the system chooses a seat for you. The seat pitch on the B777 was decent, the pitch on the A320 very tight for a 3 1/2 hours flight. At least, I was lucky that I had an aisle seat on the latter flight. One element that was consistently excellent throughout the two flights was the service of the cabin crew.
RouteAuckland to Melbourne
Date FlownOctober 2017

"never fly Air New Zealand again"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to London return. Paid extra for the Premium Economy seats. When boarded appalled that had to turn sideways down the aisle. From a safety standpoint I don't know how this is allowed, because in an emergency there is no room for rendering medical aid or even to evacuate properly. The aisle narrowness also proved a problem later when I tried to sleep (I am a thin lady and don't spill over seat sides) and I was constantly banged into by crew and passengers going down the aisle. The seats are narrow and uncomfortable, the premium seats have a leg rest below the seat that lifts up and provides no comfort other than take away more space and leg room. These seats would only work if there are two family members of small stature seated in the three seat row by themselves otherwise they are useless. As it was my knees were up against the front seat and if the passenger in front reclines their seat you can't eat off your tray and well you feel crushed. On the flight back my seat recline button was broken and I couldn't sleep. The passenger in front of my mother reclined their seat after they had served coffee and it went all over her clothes and ruined them. I have been on budget flights such as Ryan Air and been more comfortable. This is unacceptable for a long haul flight costing as much or more than other airlines in this category. I flew Air New Zealand 7 years ago and it was the best airline I had ever flown and recommended them to everyone. It was the only reason I chose them again and I wish I read the reviews on this site before booking them over Virgin Atlantic or British Airways. I will never fly Air New Zealand again or recommend them to anyone. Look at the photos I have attached and you can see for yourself. I feel sorry for the crew having to work in such cramped quarters and especially for the passengers who were continuing on to Auckland. Oh and there is a feature on the inflight entertainment that allows you to order snacks drinks from your seat. This feature was only ever activated for a period of 30 minutes on each flight. I think this was done on purpose by the flight attendants due to having to navigate up and down those ridiculous aisles. Shame on you Air New Zealand. How far you have fallen from the top.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy