Air New Zealand

"limits the length of the name"

(Cuba)

Trip Verified | Nelson to Auckland. Air New Zealand has a serious problem with the online booking in that it limits the number of characters of the name to 28. They say it is a legal requirement of international aviation, which I know is not the case as I book online and travel internationally with many different airlines, and no other airline limits the length of the name! This problem has caused hours of head-ache for myself and everyone in my extended family and I’m sure other people with long names. I have sent emails to the 'top’ of Air NZ and no-one is listening. They keep repeating the same old story about 'it's a legal requirement to limit the name to 28 characters’. Sadly I made the mistake of booking a flight again this May with Air New Zealand flying co-share on Singapore Airlines, but I'm told by Singapore Airlines they cannot issue a ticket and cannot guarantee that I can board the flight, because my name is not correct! I've called Air New Zealand 3 times with very long phone queues at $1 a minute from Cuba where I live and they say they can't do anything about it. The computer won't allow them to add all the letters in my passport! So now I am left with a ticket on Singapore Airlines that I don’t know I can use on the day of the flight, because Air New Zealand prejudices against people with long names under the premise that it is aviation law. And do they care about this annoying complaint from a small section of their customers, probably not. I chose AirNZ because I am a Kiwi and I wish to remain loyal to my country but I'm seriously regretting my decision.
RouteNelson to Auckland
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Exceptional service"

Trip Verified | Exceptional service - the business class cabin is superbly laid out matched by friendly considered service, sublime entertainment IFE and great menu and offer befitting this short hop from Auckland to Melbourne. Well done Air New Zealand on getting this just right. Thank you for the upgrade from Premium to Business.
RouteAuckland to Melbourne

"I came away impressed"

Trip Verified | First time on Premium Economy with New Zealand on a long-haul flight from Auckland to Houston, and I came away impressed. It was by far the best Premium Economy-Experience that I have had. The seat was a very comfortable recliner seat with generous legroom and recline. The legroom on NZ is noticeably greater than on most other carriers with PE. Furthermore, all seats have a leg-rest. The inflight service was comparable to Business Class service. The quality of the food was excellent, and the service very friendly and attentive.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteAKL to IAH
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"used to be really good"

Trip Verified | Flew Sydney to Auckland. Air New Zealand used to be really good. Apparently they are using Hifly now. Worst experience ever! Aircraft wasn't clean. TV control was sticky probably from previous passenger lollies. Crew were really unfriendly and strange. They spilt water on me twice and another occasion beer. No apology at all and when I asked for something to clean my shirt they said it was already dry!
RouteSydney to Auckland
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"will not fly my national carrier again"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | I booked an Air New Zealand flight from Auckland to Sydney and they have code shared it with Virgin Australia, but you cannot check in with ANZ. They haven’t even got matching booking numbers, so you can’t check-in online either. But, to change flights they double charge the change fee. One for Air New Zealand and one for Virgin Australia. I haven’t flown ANZ for a while after poor service before and will not fly my national carrier again.
RouteAuckland to Sydney
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"adequate seat space, good service"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles - Auckland return in economy. Both flights on time, adequate seat space, good service. Open bar throughout the flight, you can place orders on the touch screen at your seat. Vast catalogue of movies. Some problems with collecting empty food trays/plastic cups: very long wait on the flight to AKL and no collection of cups on the return flight. Another inconvenience was on the way back: they were unable to check the luggage through to final destination with connecting flight on Air Canada. However, onward Air Canada was able to check the luggage through to Auckland with Air NZ.
RouteLos Angeles to Auckland

"friendly and helpful"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Auckland to Hong Kong. Cabin crew were friendly and helpful. They offered drinks and snacks throughout the flight. Toilets were maintained and I was impressed with the IFE. There was a wide selection of movies and TV shows as well as radio channels. I appreciated the seat chat function as my companion and I were seated apart during the flight. I also like generous leg space of the cabin.
RouteAuckland to Hong Kong
Date FlownNovember 2017

"seats are uncomfortable"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Auckland. The food was ok, the entertainment was good and the service was fine. This was in a Boeing 777 aircraft with a 3x4x3 seating arrangement. In my opinion the B777 is too narrow for 10 seats abreast. The seats and isle are too narrow. The seats are uncomfortable and if you sit by the isle you will be subjected to constant banging of passengers and staff walking past. The narrow isle is a difficult working environment for staff and it must pose a hazard should the aircraft need to be evacuated.
RouteHong Kong to Auckland
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"The worst business class"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Auckland to Tokyo. The worst business class I have come across in the last 10 years. You sit with the back to the window (!) your legs stick out into the aisle (so that the staff run over your feet all the time), there is a separation sheet on your left and on your right and the space in between is less than in economy, so you feel like lying in a coffin. Noarmrest for your left arm (which hangs in the air the whole flight). Food mediocre, wines exclusively from NZ, no newspapers or magazines (except for one local Auckland paper). Stay away and fly other airlines!
RouteAuckland to Tokyo

"no apology, not happy"

Trip Verified | Buenos Aires to Brisbane via Auckland. Booked a skycouch, we have flown Air New Zealand before normally very reliable, on departure No skycouch, just a surly Stewardess, refund voucher slapped on seat whilst sleeping. We received refund, but no apology, not happy, would consider never flying with them again.
RouteBuenos Aires to Brisbane via Auckland