Air New Zealand

"Would definitely recommend"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Nuku'alofa to Auckland. The flight was great and I had no problems whatsoever. My plane took off early and arrived early, the entertainment was amazing with all the latest movies and such, the food was pretty great and the service was very nice and welcoming. Would definitely recommend Air New Zealand
RouteNuku'alofa to Auckland
Date FlownJuly 2018

"would fly with them again"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Auckland and Queenstown to Sydney this month. SYD-AKL was on the Boeing 787-9. This plane was new and clean, however I felt the seat backs were a bit too hard for my liking, not a big deal on a 2 hour flight but probably more uncomfortable on longer haul flights. The leg room was decent and comfortable (keeping in mind I am a short person). Due to a busy day at Sydney airport the flight departed 2 hours late. Our flight from Queenstown to Sydney was on the A320. It departed 15 minutes early and arrived in Sydney 25 minutes early. The seats were more comfortable on this aircraft, in my opinion. The entertainment systems on Air NZ were great, a wide selection of tv shows and movies, plus the touch system was easy to use. Even if you haven't paid for entertainment you can simply swipe your credit card under the TV screen and for $10NZD have unlimited entertainment for the flight. Due to flying during school holidays, the price wasn't the cheapest, but competitive with other airlines. The staff were courteous and professional, I would definitely recommend Air NZ and would fly with them again.
AircraftBoeing 787-9 / A320
RouteSydney to Auckland
Date FlownJuly 2018

"I would avoid this airline"

Trip Verified | Christchurch to Auckland. I thought they were good,but 3hrs before my domestic flight they just cancelled without any reasons. Placed me on another flight but that would mean i will miss my connecting flight. Had to reschedule all flights next day, no compensation at all. Next day, flight got delayed 1hr as well. I am trying to claim from insurance but they need to know the exact reason for flight cancellation,and Air New Zealand customer service email says they are busy at the moment and may take up to 20 days to reply. I would avoid this airline at all cost, surprised they are a member of star alliance at all to be honest.
RouteChristchurch to Auckland
Date FlownJuly 2018

"my airline of last resort"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Wellington to Queenstown. Over the last 35 years Air New Zealand have only really had four flights completely mucked up for me. Three of them have been in the last 6 months. They have cancelled flights due to mechanical problems with planes twice and now have lost my sons' bag. Worst of all the customer service team seems to be so used to complaints now that they no longer have the caring attitude they say recently had. Over the Lost bag we have had to contact them three times to get any sort of response and their response is a pathetic $100 offering for which we have to yet again stand in a queue at the baggage office at the airport. They have gone from being my carrier of choice to my airline of last resort. Such a shame to see a good brand being destroyed.
RouteWellington to Queenstown
Date FlownJuly 2018

"We are forever grateful"

Trip Verified | This was our 2nd Air New Zealand Perth to Las Vegas Premium Economy flight. Wife was unfortunately hospitalised in Las Vegas after a fall and our return was delayed by a week. Insurance Company contacted Air NZ and we were rebooked for a week later than original flights. Wife and accompanying nurse travelled Business, myself in Premium Economy. Ground and Aircrew of both United and Air NZ were outstanding in the care and concern for my wife's comfort and safety. Being unable to stand & walk she had to be lifted in and out of wheelchairs and seats. I was also given unrestricted entry into Business Class to visit her and during our Auckland stopover given complimentary to the business Lounge. We are forever grateful.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLas Vegas to Perth via Auckland

"Nothing was a problem"

Trip Verified | Auckland to Shanghai. Effortless service, exceptional, welcome, great Business class product made better by the onboard team. Nothing was a problem for them, felt incredibly valued and looked after pre, during and on arrival into Shanghai to connect with Virgin Atlantic. Well done Air New Zealand.
RouteAuckland to Shanghai
Date FlownMay 2018

"airline doesn’t do upgrades"

Not Verified | Cairns to Auckland. The flight itself on Air New Zealand was fine with a friendly cabin crew, but the problems we had with the airline was getting the flight to operate. Our flight was continuously delayed at CNS until they finally decided to cancel our flight to AKL due to crew rest hours. The cancellation announcement came 2.5 hours after we were supposed to originally take off. The passengers were told to meet at a gate and it was a 15 minute wait to have an employee direct everyone to baggage claim to reclaim their bags and find a service desk to help all the stranded passengers. When the service desk opened another 20 minutes later there was only one employee figuring out arrangements and accommodations for a full flight. We waited in the middle of the line and after another 2.5 hours of waiting in the service line the employee told the passengers still waiting to be helped that they could find their own accommodations and transportation and be reimbursed, or they could go home and meet at the airport at 5 am for the rescheduled flight at 8 am the next morning. The airline was having trouble finding hotels for all the passengers and wasted everyone’s time by not telling everyone that they could find their own accommodations and be reimbursed hours earlier. We have a future flight with Air New Zealand from AKL to SFO and we asked if we could be upgraded on that 14 hour flight to better seats instead of the airline finding us a hotel or reimbursing us, and we were rudely told that the airline doesn’t do upgrades. The next morning we got to the airport as soon as the check in line opened and only one person was checking people in and helping people with their hotel reimbursements. We were also asked if we wanted a voucher for a complimentary breakfast instead of automatically being given the voucher. The airline didn’t prepare hotels ahead of time if they planned on canceling the flight and they continually had only one person taking care of an entire flight at the service desk and check in. Thankfully there were no problems once we boarded the plane.
RouteCairns to Auckland

"Terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | Auckland to Sydney. Horrible flight. Delayed for 1 hour both of my flights. Terrible customer service on board. The crew was very rude. Not recommended at all Air New Zealand.
RouteAuckland to Sydney

"Terrible flight"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Auckland to Los Angeles. Terrible flight, extremely rude air hostess. Very tight on drinks, service was very average. Our family has always supported Air New Zealand flying a lot with them internationally, but will avoid as much as possible after this experience. We were a family of 6 flying to a family event all of various ages and it was just awful - we all felt the same way.
RouteAuckland to Los Angeles
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"missed our connection"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Delayed on the trip down to Queenstown and delayed on the way back. 12 of us missed our connection from Auckland to Tauranga despite being told that the very small regional connection would wait for us (still boarding when we landed). Then, after half hearted apologies, we were put on a bus an hour later for the three hour trip to Tauranga (other aircraft full). There was a flight to a town close to Tauranga. This had seats available but they were not willing to work with us passengers. On the flight the flight attendants were excellent. The food was terrible. Choc chip cookie or chips. Both in plastic bags. No healthy alternative.
RouteQueenstown to Tauranga via Auckland