Sunwing Airlines Passenger Reviews and Sunwing Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by C Seemann    (Canada)

Winnipeg to Montego Bay, March 3, return March 10. Flight down was good, with the exception of the meal. Cold egg and bacon sandwich. Why offer a warm towel before the meal? Couldn't understand the point of that. Our return departure was moved up by one hour due to time change. We were sitting in our room. They did not call us. The biggest part of this problem is the way the Sunwing rep handled the situation and told me I'd have to take a taxi to the airport. Made it to the gate just as boarding was starting. Sunwing needs to provide more time to get through the airport - seat designation as well as security takes a long time - there are a lot of people going through these vacation spot airports! Flight home was better for food - hot beef sandwich - yes I said hot - wonder how it didn't cool down while being handed out? There was one flight attendant who was unpleasant the whole trip - another passenger said she remembered her from a previous flight. So, the destination was beautiful and warm, but Sunwing left a bad taste. Would never choose to fly Sunwing again.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  14 March 2014 by Pamela Fisher    (Canada)

We will never fly Sunwing again! On March 4th we flew to Memories, Santa Clara. We were to depart at 7.10pm but never left until 11.10pm. Given a $5.00 voucher for food. The fight was ok going down. On the day of departure the bus picked us up at 4.00. The flight WG 0341 was supposed to leave at 8.55 but didn't leave until 9.39. We had cold pizza on flight and were not given anything to drink (water) except for the initial beverage. We landed and got through the gate at 3.00am only to find out they had lost our luggage!

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  13 March 2014 by P Kenny    (Canada)

WG416 on Feb 20th from Ottawa. WG417 on Feb 27th from Puerta Plata. There was total confusion in the airport as to which line to go in. The Elite Plus or the regular, poorly organized, people didn't know where to go and the elite Plus is a joke! When we first arrived early at the airport there were no staff members at the counter, we had to wait an hour for anyone to arrive. The food is the worst I have had on any airline in my 40 years of flying. The seating was tight and the hot towel service was just silly. They should have spent more time serving drinks. And having to rent pillows and blankets, thanks for the lousy customer service. Will be looking at other airlines in the future.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  10 March 2014 by HelenWinn    (Canada)

Premium

Liberia to Toronto on February 6th. Considering that their prices are amongst the highest, I purchased a promotion buy one get half off it still cost us just over $800 each. They can keep their champagne (one way only) and the awful food they serve and lower the cost. Paid more for the extra legroom, I don't know how anyone could sit comfortably in the regular seats. Flew American last year with layover in Miami and would definitely consider again. Lovely updated aircraft, roomy seats, no meals but price was over $150 less. Only reason I booked direct was I was travelling with my 90 year old mother, the layover would have been too much for her. I didn't consider Sunwing food a meal, we could not eat it, it was that bad, hot bistro meal was a slice of pizza that tasted awful. Flight attendants were very nice, check in staff were great in Toronto and Liberia. My biggest peeve is value for dollar, just not there.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  7 March 2014 by R Bachtold    (Canada)

February 27 2014 from Windsor to Cuba. Outgoing WG374. Return March 6 2014,WG 375. Great flight to and from Cuba but where was the champagne as promised. Both ways no champagne. Also coming home the ending of the movie was cut short because of landing. We will travel with them again even without the champagne.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2014 by Goldsmith Elmar    (Canada)

My wife and I spent a great deal of time and research finding a vacation to the Mayan Riviera that left Vancouver at an appropriate time to fit with our schedule. We chose a Sunwing flight with a 10am departure and a direct flight to Cancun, with a 6pm return direct to Vancouver a week later. We paid extra to get Elite Plus (extra baggage weight, extra legroom, etc.). If you decide to pay this premium do not sit in the bulkhead seats. There is no more legroom to stretch out and your carry on will have to be stowed somewhere far behind you as there is not space in front of you. The exit rows are really good for legroom and convenience. Our flight was rescheduled with no warning to a 7am departure with a stop in Calgary on the way. So we had to leave home at 3 in the morning to catch the plane. On the return we were rescheduled to make a stop in Calgary before coming to Vancouver. These stops added 2.5 hours to our flight to Cancun and 3.5 hours to our flight home as weather and a crew change delayed departure from Calgary. Sunwing did not apologize or say anything about the rescheduling. There were about 80 passengers from Vancouver and we picked up less than 20 in Calgary. So Sunwing alienated 80% of its passengers to pick up a few folks. The planes both ways were only partially full, so it is obvious that this total disregard for customers is seriously affecting their business. On a positive note, the cabin crews were excellent both ways, even though they, too, had been seriously disrupted by the schedule and routing changes. I will certainly never fly with Sunwing again.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2014 by Cheryl Hodgson    (Canada)

WG664, Feb 7 returned 15. This is the first time I had a Sunwing experience! Excellent flight, food was good, staff friendly. However, I couldn't hear the pilot or understand him.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2014 by C Stang    (Canada)

Premium

Edmonton to Cancun from Feb 16-23/14. Paid extra for elite plus which was worth every penny. Roomier seats and having your luggage unloaded first along with the extra baggage allowance was great. Both flights were on time, service was great, and my family thought the warm meals, ice cream, and chocolates were a nice touch. The TV's were not that great, but my kids had loaded movies on their iPads anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. The 2-pronged plug in for headphones wasn't a problem as they gave you free headphones which you could take off the connector and plug in your Beats or whatever headphones you had. I would not hesitate to fly with Sunwing in the future.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  3 March 2014 by D Mateush    (Canada)

Premium

We flew Sunwing for the first time in Feb 2014, first thing I would say is you get what you pay for, booked elite premium class, sat in the first row, had to put my carry on 5 rows behind us due to all of the crews storage. Pop down entertainment system, with free headphones, with dual plugs, my newer ear phones would not work because this plane was so old, the movies are a joke, terrible screen quality, all movies were censored, English/German writing on the inside of plane, I thought French was our second language. Water leaking on me from overhead compartment. We could not understand the pilots due to their inability to speak English, the only bright spot was they had decent food and the plane was on time, everyone I talked to on the flight was not happy. If you want a cheap no frills airline that might leave on time, or you don't care if you luggage arrives when you do, this is the right choice for you.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  28 February 2014 by Debbie Goldberg    (Canada)

2nd time with Sunwing and again delays. I will do my best never to fly with them again. We were to fly out on the 17th Feb to Cuba at 10.25 am. We were up at 4.30 arrived at airport at 6.45 am only to be told due to mechanical difficulties (same poor excuse as last year) flight delayed until 3.00 pm. At 12.30 we were back at counter to check in with all our luggage only to be told-delayed again until 10.00 pm. We had not received notification during this time nor have we yet to receive notification. They knew the day before (if not 2 days) they were behind in flight scheduling. Finally arrived at resort in Cayo Santa Maria at 4.00 am on Feb 18th. Totally exhausted I might add. Beware when flying, try to avoid Sunwing at all costs.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  28 February 2014 by Sonja Anderson    (Canada)

We booked our trip to the Bahamas from Ottawa in early January. 2 weeks after we booked what we thought would be a direct flight there and back we received an e-mail stating our departure and return times had changed and that on the way back from the Bahamas we would be flying via Varadero Cuba. We did have to get off the plane in Cuba and as a final insult despite having cleared Customs in the Bahamas less than an hour before we had to go through Cuban Customs! Just to get right back on the plane for our flight home to Ottawa. It was very bizarre and there was absolutely no need for us to get off the plane just to pick up more passengers. Our vacation was not in Cuba and we picked the Bahamas as an alternative to Cuba. Flight crew there and back were good and inflight movies were good. Food not so much. Our departure when leaving Ottawa was delayed from 11am Sunday morning to 8pm Sunday evening. Kept telling us flight delayed for 2 hours (each time) but no clear reasons given. Spent a whole day in the airport and missed a good 1/2 day at our resort arriving at midnight rather than 3 in the afternoon. Sunwing did give us food vouchers but still not a great start or finish to our vacation. Sunwing - lack of common sense.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  28 February 2014 by B Couture    (Canada)

Just came back from Riu resort in Cuba Tuesday night and the vacation was fantastic. Return flight was late but was not Sunwings fault. When there is a discrepancy between your flight time and the departure time posted by the airport go with Sunwing website. Halifax airport had the wrong flight number.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  26 February 2014 by N Danielle    (Canada)

I would not recommend Sunwing. I recently travelled with them to the Caribbean. Our flight was 17 hours delayed. We talked to others flying Sunwing during our delay that were still delayed from the day before. On our way home, again we were delayed. Once we arrived to our home airport, we waited on the plane for 15-20 minutes until there was a free gate open. If you travel with Sunwing, you have a good chance of a delayed plane.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by M Chris    (Canada)

We were supposed to fly out of Ottawa to Orlando last Saturday the 15th Feb at 6am. We got to the AP at 3am, boarded the plane around 5.30am and then were told to exit the plane because there was a delay. Needless to say we spent the entire day sitting in the airport and didn't board until 7pm that night. We missed an entire day of our vacation because of this. Will never fly SW again.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by S Conrad    (Canada)

Sunwing Direct, Halifax to Freeport. Ok for value when combined with a hotel. Was good as we had direct flight from Halifax to Freeport but return we were stuck in airport, size of small school, for 6 hour delay.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by Maria Smith    (Canada)

Went to Cuba, Feb 11 2014 and returned Feb 18, seat 5b. I was disappointed with the meal service this year. I travel with Sunwing every year and ordered a vegan meal there and back. I was told the vegan meal was not available anymore, only vegetarian. The meal I got was disgusting, last year and the year before I got a delicious meal of rice with vegetables. I pay a lot of money to fly with them and I had nothing to eat there and back. I will be booking with someone else from now on.

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2014 by P Page    (Canada)

Flight WG481 from YVR via Kelowna, January 16th. Boarded the plane at 6.45 am, at 7.15 am, the pilot advised us that he would not be taking off and landing in Kelowna, due to heavy fog. We got an update every 1/2 hr. until noon, We were allowed off the plane, promised vouchers for meals, the person that promised this, immediately disappeared! (At one point we were told that we had to go through customs again). Finally took off, picked up the Kelowna passengers. Flight staff (new ones in Kelowna) were incredible. They tried to make up for the huge delay, Never again will we fly Direct, Non stop is the only way to go!