Sunwing Airlines Passenger Reviews and Sunwing Airlines Customer Trip Reports

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  5 May 2013 by S Robinson    (Canada)

Just returned from a trip to Cancun Mexico with Sunwing. I have flown Sunwing for many years and have always found them to be an exceptional company. I just recently recommended them to my sister for her trip to Cuba. When she returned, just a week before we left, she told me about there terrible experience on their return flight. I had booked our flight many months in advance, as my husband has a disability, and we prefer to sit at the back of the plane so that he can board first and get off last. Also he needs a direct flight as he doesn't do well with long periods on the plane. We also prebook the seats to insure our seating. Much to our surprise the flight down had originated in Calgary, with the plane half full when it arrived in Vancouver, okay, it was still direct from Vancouver. On the return trip the plane flew to Calgary first, after. A one hour delay. In Cancun, where they changed our departure gate just before boarding, offering my husband no assistance to get there. Then we all lined up in a big jumbled mess to board a bus they crammed to the fullest to drive to the plane where we had to climb a staircase to board the plane, in the crush of all the people who had no concern for disabled or families with small children. It was a gong show! When I said those exact words to the flight crew,one woman rolled her eyes at me! When we finally reached Vancouver, we discovered they had lost one of our suitcases! Two days later, we still have not had any contact with anyone from Sunwing as to where it is. I have been a loyal customer for many years, probably will not use Sunwing in the future!

Sunwing Airlines Customer review :  5 May 2013 by K Pearl    (Canada)

Cannot believe how poor the service has become. We have using Sunwing to fly to Puerto Plata for years. In November we were delayed at the POP airport for 5 hours. They gave each of us a $10 food voucher for a particular restaurant. The food was terrible. We recently travelled to Puerto Plata at the beginning of April. We specifically booked the flight which arrived at our hotel by noon. Three weeks before departure, Sunwing advised us that the flight times had changed and we were being re-routed to POP via Jamaica. So a 4 hour flight turned into 7 hours and we arrived after dinner at the hotel. Unfortunately, before departure I became ill with extreme nausea and a fever. During the flight, my husband asked the stewardess for a cold cloth, as I was about to pass out. Her only help was to inquire if I had breathing problems. My husband had to go to the washroom to get the cloth. It was a 7 hour flight from hell.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  23 April 2013 by Nilo Miclat    (Canada)

This is the 3rd time that my flight has been delayed. First flight was flying to Dominican Republic, as soon as we got to the airport we were told our flight was delayed 8 hours. Given a food voucher for 20 dollars but only for a specific restaurant and the food was terrible. Now I'm flying back from Mexico to Toronto and I was told that my flight is delayed 6 hours. When they post their All Inclusive vacation they try to make the flight schedule more attractive, of course most people would not want to arrive 2 am in the morning. Once you're booked, all of a sudden your flight schedule is changed and there's nothing much you can do about it. I should have learnt my lesson.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  23 April 2013 by Pamela Gagnon    (Canada)

Our flight from Montreal to Cayo Coco was between the 7th and 14th of April. Outbound and return flight was on time, in fact we arrived ahead of schedule. We have flown many times with Sunwing and have always been pleasant, good food with wine and great service with a smile.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  22 April 2013 by B Mavis    (Canada)

Just returned from a round trip, Vancouver BC to Cuba. Both ways Sunwing was on time departing and arrived to our destination a few minutes early. Service was very good and diner outbound was good, breakfast on the return flight was very poor. I will travel with Sunwings again.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  22 April 2013 by Brandon Genge    (Canada)

My family and I flew from Deer Lake to Punta Cana. We had the elite seats which we paid extra for. We travelled with our 10 month old baby. Leaving Deer Lake we were delayed over 3 hours. There was no pre- boarding. No one to help us. On the way back there was no pre-boarding or elite boarding. I was stuck in a massive queue with my baby. We were on the plane for over 2 hours waiting, no complementary drinks. On top of it all they had all of our bags going to the wrong place. Finally made it to Deer Lake. A 5 hour flight took us 12 hours.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  17 April 2013 by M Bucci    (Canada)

Flew from Halifax, Nova Scotia to Varadero, Cuba on April 5, 2013 return April 12, 2013. The staff both going and return were great. Food served on the plane was surprisingly good both times. My only complaint was that both leaving Halifax and return we were close to an hour late for no apparent reason other than the fact that they delayed the boarding. Returning we were supposed to be taking off at 8.55 Varadero time and they didn't even start boarding until 8.50. But, having chronic back pain issues, I was just glad that we weren't sitting on the tarmac for the hour delay and that I was still generally comfortable in the airport.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  17 April 2013 by L Le Lievre    (Canada)

So it appears with other reviews, our flight was delayed from Calgary to Cuba by almost 4 hours as well, with the crew joking, that they had no idea why? We had flown Sunwing for years, however the decline in service is so drastic, that this will be our last trip with Sunwing.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  12 April 2013 by Veronika Buckler    (Canada)

Premium

Elite Plus means you pay more, that is it. There are no signs at airport in Calgary to let you know where to go as an Elite member. The food is done for choices by the time you get yours towards the middle. Trying to get a hold of someone if there are issues with your luggage is near impossible. No vouchers were given to us even though we were supposed to get them at check in and after that no one knew anything about them, even though it showed on my confirmation slip what was supposed to happen. Plane was delayed from other city so was 7 hours late. The whole airline feels like a money grab and once they have it they couldn't care less what service they provide.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  12 April 2013 by Deborah Shipley    (Canada)

We flew out of Halifax, Mar 27, early morning to Cuba. On time, flight attendants were friendly and helpful. This flight had many children on board and all received attention from staff. Food service was very good! Received free headphones but make sure to keep them for the return flight. Movie and music was enjoyable. I would not hesitate to use this airline again in the future.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  12 April 2013 by N Cornish    (Canada)

We flew from Montreal to Cancun on March 24th and back April 1st. Service, food, staff was excellent, no delay both ways. Pleasantly surprised.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  12 April 2013 by Nadine Bancroft    (Canada)

Flew from Edmonton to Huatulco with no problems at all. On time and arrived early. When we left the flight was delayed by 20 minutes but we arrived right on time. Entertainment was great going down but coming home, only 1 movie with 2 shows. Not very good for a 5.5 hour flight. Coming home turbulence was the worst I have ever experienced. The pilot and flight crew did their best in those conditions. Excellent hot meals and snacks. Upgraded to the Elite Plus and would do so again. Overall the best airline we have flown with so far.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  5 April 2013 by John Slikboer    (Canada)

I went to the Bahamas over the Easter weekend with my family and our flight was delayed 2 hours so we spent 5 hours in the airport. On the way back from the Bahamas our flight was delayed again by 2 hours and got to spend another 5 hours in the airport. Don't think that this is acceptable, I can understand being delayed once but to do it to the same people twice was not acceptable.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  4 April 2013 by G Aman    (Canada)

Flew from Toronto to Las Vegas return. The flight there was ok, only delayed by a few minutes. Only downside was that the cabin crew were not very responsive. However, the flight back was delayed by close to 4 hours and passengers were only given a $10 fast food voucher. No explanation as to why the flight was delayed. After getting on the flight, the staff were rude and they just don't care about passengers. The meals were awful.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  3 April 2013 by C Godfrey    (Canada)

Premium

I travel regularly for business and recreation and have not had an experience quite like Sunwing. You can't use their web check in until 4 hours before you fly, what's the point if you need to be at the airport 3 hours ahead of time. Before we left for the airport I checked the status of the flight which was supposed to be on time. When we arrived at the airport there were no Sunwing reps at the check in desk which was odd. We checked in using the kiosk and went through security. An hour and a half before we were to start boarding the flight from Toronto to Cancun was updated to be 7 hours delayed. No announcement and no Sunwing reps anywhere to be found. We were given $25 coupons for food which doesn't go very far at the airport and considering we lost a day out of a 5 day vacation didn't seem quite appropriate.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  3 April 2013 by Alexeyenko Vlad    (Canada)

Vancouver to Santa Clara and back. In both cases the planes ran out of fuel and we had to make re-fuelling stops which were not scheduled. Both times the crew made excuses. The crew were nice though. The air- conditioning worked poorly. No inflight entertainment whatsoever. The only positive thing is the option of paying an extra $40 and getting a seat with more leg room. I cant imagine how people manage in the regular seats.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  3 April 2013 by M Simpson    (USA)

Cincinnati to Cancun flight delayed 2.5 hours. Week later Cancun to Cincinnati flight delayed 5 hours. Bathrooms were the most disgusting I have seen and I was the first to use them as I was in the last row and first in line. We got one drink on a 3 plus hour flight. Crew not friendly after they were so late taking off. Other airlines are worth the extra money. With others, you get there on time and you are hydrated when you arrive. Sunwings needs some serious improvement. This flight was $638, Will gladly pay more for a different provider.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  2 April 2013 by P McDonald    (Canada)

Calgary to Cancun flight delayed 12.5 hrs due to 'no crew available'. We were not notified of delay until we arrived at the airport at 6 am only to be turned away and told to come back for a 10pm flight, which was also delayed. Were given food vouchers for the airport when we arrived again in the evening, after we had just eaten dinner at home so they were useless. A minimal value non-transferable coupon for a future Sunwing vacation within the next year as "compensation" is also completely worthless. An entire day of our week's vacation was wasted.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  30 March 2013 by L Landry    (USA)

Premium

Feb 23rd 2013, 3 of us flew from Ottawa to Punta Cana. I paid premium for the bigger seats, I had the bulkhead seat which, when there was a queue for the toilet, passengers would get in between me and the bulkhead. When I complained I was scorned by the flight crew, they told me that they had a right to be there. The crew were also apparently bilingual, the girl reading the pre-flight instructions could barely make it with the French part. This was also called the champagne flight, the champagne cup is the size of a pill tumbler.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  30 March 2013 by Patricia Bard    (Canada)

Flew to Mexico March 18-2,5 booked a direct flight from Ottawa to Cancun and of course it was changed to Ottawa, Montreal and Cancun. Our friends Seats we're pre-booked and got changed. We booked the VIP Lounge, what a joke free drinks and meals are (mini sandwiches). The meals on the plane were terrible. Will never travel with them again, very disappointed with the service.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  26 March 2013 by Patty Gallant    (Canada)

Premium

Terrible customer service! We were delayed coming back from Punta Cana. Not a Sunwing rep in sight at the airport. All signs showed on time even after we had been delayed a couple of hours with no explanation. Had to walk out to the tarmac, not so bad to do in Punta Cana but not so nice when arriving back in Moncton in a snow storm. Make sure you're wearing proper shoes and bring a coat back with you. Luggage was damaged during the non-stop flight from Punta Cana to Moncton. The Sunwing reps are not being helpful in expediting compensation for that. Once they have your money you're on your own. Don't expect any help!

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  26 March 2013 by Donna Wallace    (Canada)

Flew to San Jose, Feb 22nd, paid for a direct flight but we were informed 10 days prior to our trip that we were landing in Panama. Then on the way home plane was too heavy and had to land in Cancun to refuel. They played a children's cartoon as our return movie, asked for a glass of water - never got it. Never again.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  26 March 2013 by Nathalie Cardinal    (Canada)

From Edmonton, touch down in Regina to Jamaica. Well that's what is was supposed to be. It was Edmonton to Regina sit on runway for 3 hours, then 2 more hours to Toronto, sit for 1 hour then 5 hours to Jamaica. No alcohol served until the final leg to Jamaica and they ran out of alcohol before making it half way through serving the plane so people at the back didn't get anything.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  25 March 2013 by L Cormier    (Canada)

Trip to Orlando waited 2.5 hours in a line-up, then waited another 2.5 hours before boarding. Because there were only 2 ticket agents on with 2 flights going out we missed clearing customs in Canada and after arriving in Orlando we waited 2 more hours to get through customs and had to wait another 1.4 hrs to get luggage. Waited 8 hours for a 3.5 hour direct flight. Return flight waited 2 hours in line up to get to ticket agent. Time change, now flight is delayed 1.5 hours. Plane was sitting at the airport, so why the delay? They blamed US customs. Arrived in Halifax, we had to wait one hour to retrieve our bags from the plane. I am a frequent flier and thought I'd try out their direct flight - never again. I could make two stop-overs and still get to Florida quicker.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  25 March 2013 by Gary D Harvey    (Canada)

My wife and I purchased the "Elite" package for flying. The only thing that we received for the $100/person was the extra baggage weight. The occupants in seat 1 a,b,c, and 2 a,b,c, are very cramped, yes you can stretch your legs out, but the seats are "very" narrow. If in seat 1c as I was, you can not stretch your legs as your feet go into the aisle leading into the stewardess station. We found the stewardess very unpleasant.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  22 March 2013 by A Loppe    (Canada)

Regina to Montego Bay, Jamaica return. The flights were on time, in fact a few minutes early both ways, the staff and crew were friendly and professional. And as for leg room, well, its not a huge plane, so that what you deal with. The meals were good, just fine. They will definitely be my choice for my next vacation!

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  22 March 2013 by C Chapman    (Canada)

Plane broke down while refuelling in Saskatoon on our way to Vancouver so 4 hours sitting on the runway until they decided it couldn't be fixed easily. Then, 2 hours in a line up for a single Sunwing rep for 184 passengers to get a hotel voucher for the night. Was 4am by the time we were in our room and asleep! They insisted we come back by 10am - the plane wasn't fixed and ready for another 2 hours! All in all, was a painful return.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  22 March 2013 by A Jelic    (Canada)

Our family vacation from Calgary to Cancun Mexico got off to a bad start. Our flight was scheduled for 9.30am but got delayed 12.5 hrs without any explanation. We were given voucher for taxi to go home with all of our luggage and to come back in the evening to try again. We lost almost 1 day out of our 1 week vacation. I understand that delays are bound to happen from time to time but a 12.5 hrs delay without good reason/explanation is not acceptable.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  22 March 2013 by Lindsay Mann    (Canada)

Vancouver to Havana Cuba via Varadero - trip down and all local connections were on schedule and as advertised. Simple and clean service at Cuba customs and immigration. Return flight was the usual nightmare. Some delay in departure but advised of a re-routing through Saskatoon for refuelling. Some mechanical problem caused further delays. 4 hours on the tarmac, further delays, then deplaned to spend the night in Saskatoon. Only one attendant handing out vouchers at 3am. 1pm departure the next day became 3pm. Flight Saskatoon to Vancouver and landing were uneventful. Can only be taken by people prepared for 24 hour delays. Bring your own food, prepare to camp out at airports and on planes.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  21 March 2013 by E Brown    (Canada)

First trip to Varadero Cuba, Mar 12-19th. On time arrivals and departures. The only partially negative thing would be the seats are very close together but that's almost the same on every airline. Great trip and seamless check in's!

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  20 March 2013 by F Schmidt    (Canada)

This was our first trip to Mexico, Feb 20-27 2013 and upon reading the reviews for Sunwing Airlines we were sceptical but I must say the flight from Edmonton to Cancun and the return flight were great. Staff treated us well with meals, movies and kept us informed.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  19 March 2013 by D Cavoni    (Canada)

Toronto to Las Vegas during March Break 2013. We got in early on the way to Vegas. I chose Sunwing for the daytime flights. All other airlines have overnight flights to Vegas. Plane was a bit delayed on the way back coming in but the actual flights were great considering the time of year. Yes it's cramped in the plane but that's what charter is all about. I don't know any other airline nowadays that gives you free checked luggage, food, drinks twice, plus snacks for a 4 hour flight.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  19 March 2013 by S Toews    (Canada)

Premium

My husband and I flew Elite Plus with Sunwing March 6, 2013 to Cancun returned to Calgary on March 13, 2013. Both flights left a couple minutes early. Both ways we received excellent service at check in counter, elite plus counter was great as their was no line, priority seating. We hardly stood in line at all, more leg room and roomier seats are definitely worth the money. Flight attendants were friendly. Food was basic but decent - I've had much worse. Morning flight to Cancun, I chose the French toast, which was okay and then on the way home I chose the Honey mustard chicken with rice, which surprisingly was good, came with crackers and cheese and a brownie for dessert. Complimentary wine was good. They played one in flight family friendly movie each way. No Complaints whatsoever, will fly Sunwing again.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  19 March 2013 by S Banos    (Canada)

Terrible experience coming back from our vacations. It took almost 4hrs standing in line just to do the check- in in Puerto Vallarta. They had 2 full flights leaving within 20 mins of each other and wanted to process all passengers at the same time, but they weren't able to do it of course. Delay was attributed to a computer network malfunction. To add insult to injury, once we were checked in, they told us in a rude manner to hurry up to the gate if we didn't want to miss the flight! It's too bad we had to go through that because overall the rest of the flight services were good.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  18 March 2013 by K Preston    (Canada)

Flew to Punta Cana from Saint John, New Brunswick on March 4, 2013. Flight was on time with no problems. The captain was great, informing us where we were during the 4 hour flight etc. Return flight on March 11, 2013 was a different story. Told by our Sunwing rep. that the flight was delayed 5 hours so we stayed at the resort for the extra few hours. Decided to cab it to the airport to avoid the long line-ups at the check-in counter. We were the second couple to check in and were told that we could not get seats together which was probably a language issue since the staff couldn't even speak English. We received a $20 voucher for Wendy's, I assume for the delay. On the flight home I asked if they were going to pass out the Canadian Custom forms for us to fill out before we got there. The answer was "they didn't have any". A girl in front of me asked for ear-phones and was told she was supposed to keep the ones she was given on the flight down. No champagne on the flight back. I guess "champagne flight" means one glass on the departing flight only. There was a huge line-up for Customs once we arrived because 180 of us had to fill out the forms in the airport. Finally got home at 4am Tuesday morning. We were originally scheduled be home about 10pm Monday night.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  18 March 2013 by Brian Boudreau    (Canada)

I used Sunwing from Saint John to Punta Cana, they changed our flight times 3 times and offered no explanation why. Only that they reserve the right to reschedule and that I should read my contract. I will not use Sunwing again as long as I am flying.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  15 March 2013 by Lynn E Taylor    (Canada)

Our trip was booked from Toronto to San Jose Costa Rica (direct). They changed it to non-direct via Panama (added 3 hours onto our travel) and noted that this would not be compensated. Flight home from San Jose was delayed 4 hours. Once on the plane it was further delayed by 2 hours - as we had to stop in Cozumel for fuel. None of it was compensated (not even a free beer).

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  13 March 2013 by Sheila Phillips    (Canada)

My husband and I flew to Cancun in February 2013. Great flight, no delays and friendly staff. This is the second trip with Sunwing since 2012 and we have no complaints. I read lots of complaints about delays etc. however some delays cannot be avoided i.e. mechanical problems, weather. We intend on going back again next February and it will definitely be with Sunwing.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  12 March 2013 by Catherine L Still    (Canada)

We flew last year with no complaints, however this Feb we flew to Cuba. The flight down was fine, our return flight from Varadara we had to fly to Holguin, Cuba. I understand mechanical problems happen, but very little information was given to us and our 3.5 hr trip turned into 5.5 hr trip which I found very uncomfortable. We always try to buy duty free on the plane but they never have enough stock on board.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  12 March 2013 by D Donnelly    (Canada)

Flight 420 from Toronto to Punta Cana delayed 7.5 hours on Friday March 1/13. Weather was no issue. 5 out of 7 Sunwing flights were delayed that day from 4 to 7.5 hours. Spent first full day of our vacation at the airport. They said a bird flew into the engine and it had to be replaced so they were renting a plane. Must have been a 'big' flock of birds that took out 5 planes! Rental plane had long washroom queues due to broken toilet. Return flight delayed 1 hour 22 minutes! They kept apologizing for the 'short' delay.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  8 March 2013 by D Cooke    (Canada)

We flew with Sunwing this past Feb and our experience is much the same as everyone else. Delayed, delayed, delayed. Excuses and rude staff - not acceptable. We lost a full day off the beginning of our Cuba vacation and the weather was perfect for 2 days prior to departure. We were told they couldn't get crew to fly our plane. Very bad communication, vouchers are garbage, read the fine print. Never again will we trust Sunwing with our hard earned vacation.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  5 March 2013 by M Martin    (Canada)

March 3, WG 510, Cancun to Toronto. 8 hours delay. Flight supposed to leave around 2.30pm, and left close to 11pm. Nobody gave any reason, why flight was delayed. The only statement from the captain was, that this plane came around 5 pm after being delayed on some other flight. He had no further details. Ironically, there was an incoming flight from Toronto, which landed around 2 pm. Either way the policy of disinformation was only topped by rude and unfriendly hostesses. Not heating the plane must save money. Everybody sat there in their sweaters and coats. Solution, next time it's another airline.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  4 March 2013 by Laura Baird    (Canada)

Premium

Our flight on Feb 28 from Varadero Cuba to Windsor was delayed 7 hrs, There was various explanations given from Sunwing Reps, but still don't know the real cause of the delay. Once we were in the air we were told that due to mechanical problems our flight would be diverted to Toronto. We were reassured that there would be another flight to fly us from Toronto to Windsor. Once we were deplaned we found out it was all a lie, and that there was no plane available to fly to Windsor. After a 3 hour wait we were loaded onto Greyhound buses and were subjected to a bumpy 4 hour drive down the 401. We finally arrived in Windsor On March 1, at 4am. This was a 14 hour delay in our arrival time. Sunwing has offered no compensation. Will never fly Sunwing again!

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  4 March 2013 by W Hendricks    (USA)

Will never fly again with this airline. Flight going to Punta Cana was delayed 3 hours. I understand things like this happen. However, the return flight was delayed a whole day and the only way we found this out was when the airport shuttle didn't show up to pick us up at the resort and we called them. They then moved us to another "resort" for the night. Then after we had to get up at midnight to meet the shuttle, the flight continued to be delayed and we had to sit in the airport for hours. We did make it back home a whole day later. Don't let the cheap price fool you.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  1 March 2013 by M Roode    (Canada)

Delayed from our original departure time of 3pm out of Toronto on February 16th due to a snow storm. We were on the tarmac ready to go when we got called back. The pilot announced there would be a 2 hour delay before the weather broke, however he also told us that because we were an International flight and at a domestic gate we could not leave the plane and also that we would be refuelling. After 30 mins we were allowed off the plane and walked into the "International terminal". Given a $30 voucher for food only. I will not use this airline again. We sat and waited while planes with scheduled departures after ours left. Our plane left at 4.45 am getting into Aruba at around 10.30. We essentially lost an entire day of our vacation.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  1 March 2013 by D Caldwell    (Canada)

Premium

Flew to Mexico on Feb 21. Upon check in at Pearson no notice was given that our flight was delayed by 2 hours. At the end of our trip while waiting for shuttle pick up (which was assured to be on time the day before) we waited in the resort lobby for 6 hours after checking out of our room, because of a flight delay, our Sunwing rep was nowhere to found and when reached by phone had no information as to why we where left stranded. After finally getting to the airport around 6pm instead of noon. Only to find the flight has been delayed even longer. In short we were to be back in Toronto on Feb 28 at 7:30 pm however arrived back at 4:00 am March 1. No apology given until deplanning. Worst airline service I have ever experienced, will not be using Sunwing again.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  23 February 2013 by Rodger Parks    (Canada)

My wife and I flew 8 February. Day of our trip arrived and there was a snow storm. An hour before the flight I asked if we would be getting out, I was assured we would be going that night. 2 hours after scheduled departure we were told the flight would be delayed - delayed not cancelled. An hour later told to get our bags and go back through security. We would be waiting until morning to depart. They escorted us through security and dropped us at baggage claim. Our bags eventually showed an hour later. We headed for the ticket counter to see what could be done - ticket counter was closed and nobody from Sunwing was in the airport. We spent the first night of our vacation on the floor in the terminal. Air Canada brought us snacks, blankets and water. Finally as 'compensation' we were given a letter offering $150 off a future booking to be used within a year. On our return told our flight was delayed 3 hours. Sure enough, we arrived at the airport and there was no plane, we sat there for 4 more hours, finally starting to board at 2am.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  23 February 2013 by M Bourgon    (Canada)

Ottawa to Varadero Cuba return. Both flights delayed. Ottawa to Varadero was supposed to leave at 5.15pm Saturday, delayed until 6am Sunday. Received notice that it was only supposed to be delayed until 3.50am Sunday. Had to wait 6 hours at the airport. No clear explanation given as to why there was a delay. The only thing Sunwing gave us was a voucher of $30 each. Same thing leaving Varadero except no notice. Flight scheduled to leave at 10.15pm Saturday, flight delayed until 12pm Sunday. No announcements, no explanation as to the delay. We had to go through customs in Cuba twice because of leaving to go to the hotel they provided. They were so disorganized by the time we got checked in we only had 3 hours of sleep. At 2 am in the morning they decided to put us in a hotel. We were delayed until 11am, then 12pm and 12.30pm.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  23 February 2013 by J Lyndon    (Canada)

Extremely disappointed with the flight to Montego Bay, Feb 10, supposed to leave 6am. Eventually left at 11.30, return flight supposed to leave at 11.20 am. eventually left at 9.55pm. No good reason was given for either delay. The plane itself was dated, and on the outgoing flight only one toilet worked, this for over 150 passengers. The seating and comfort on the plane was cramped and on the return flight one enormous passenger forced the central passenger, in a 3 seat row, to leave his wife and find another seat. The on-line flight service up to leaving time stated that both flight were on time, considering that one had to be at the airport 2-3 hours beforehand only exacerbated the situation. Sunwing's poor departures spoiled what would have been an excellent vacation, and a $75 credit voucher does not make up for the poor service.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  22 February 2013 by Robert Mercier    (Canada)

Flew to Punta Cana from Ottawa on February 2. Plane left at 6 am, got to the airport at 3.30 am. First shock, there was a huge queue and only 2 boarding agents. Next shock, the plane itself. An old Czech 737, a 28-row plane with 32 rows. I'm 6'3", the seat was almost painful. Crew members were cheery. The real horror story was the flight home, supposedly on the 9th. Told to be ready for pick up at the resort at 9.30 am. While waiting, told a storm in the US Northeast had caused a delay, that we were to be picked up at 11.30 pm. Then advised the plane was going to leave at 6.15, Sunday morning. Picked up at 3 am, taken to the airport, checked in, got to the gate - our flight was delayed until 12.30! No one from Sunwing was there, of course. Finally a plane landed at 6.00, and we boarded the sardine can and flew home. Got to Ottawa 22 hours late.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  22 February 2013 by W Brown    (Canada)

Very disappointed, flight delayed more than 12 hrs - told snow storm in Calgary. Check live weather feed and clear and sunny and no snow. Offered $150 off next vacation with Sunwing to be used in the next 12 months. They don't care now that they have your money.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  21 February 2013 by J Zazulak    (Canada)

Flight to Cancun on February 2, 2013 went well. Was impressed by the Flight Attendants' service. Flight and service back home was very disappointing and very frustrating. Delayed 16 hours in Cancun. Confusion, disorganization and no Sunwing Representative to explain anything. Will not travel Sunwing again!

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  20 February 2013 by J Mockett    (Canada)

Very disappointed. Departure flight to Cuba was delayed more than 12 hours and the return flight was more than 4 hours. Worst customer service ever experienced - would never pay Sunwing for a vacation in the future.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  20 February 2013 by S Polk    (Canada)

Ottawa to Varadero Cuba and return. Both flights were delayed. Ottawa to Varadero was supposed to leave at 5.15pm Saturday, delayed until 6am Sunday. Received notice that it was only supposed to be delayed until 3.50am Sunday. Had to wait 6 hours at the airport. No clear explanation given as to why there was a delay. Same thing leaving Varadero except no notice. Flight scheduled to leave at 10.15pm Saturday, flight delayed until 12 pm Sunday - 13+ hour delay. No announcements no explanation as to the delay. We had to go through customs in Cuba twice because of leaving to go to the hotel they provided. They were so disorganized by the time we got checked in we only had 3 hours of sleep. We arrived back in Ottawa at about 4pm.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  19 February 2013 by J McDonald    (Canada)

First and last time we will use Sunwing Airlines. Trip to Cuba delayed on Feb 4th by over 8 hours. Return flight home which was supposed to be on Monday, Feb 11th at 5pm didn't take off from Cuba to Vancouver until Tuesday, Feb 12th at 6am (a 12.5 hour delay). Again, no real explanation as to why? This airline needs to shape up, I know they're a charter airline, but they don't seem to care about their passengers.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  19 February 2013 by E McGinley    (Canada)

We were delayed 10 hrs from Jamaica, Feb 17 2013. Never told until we got down to check out at 5am that we were delayed until 9.30 pm. Rep was no help, said didn't know what was going on, we sat in the lobby all day until at 6pm a bus finally came for us. No empathy at all from this airline or their reps when we were there. Not one persons story matched the others, cannot feel we can trust this airline for any help so do not see ever flying with them again!

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  18 February 2013 by Carol Jones    (Canada)

Going to Puerto Vallarta Feb 3/13 to Feb 10/13. Stood in line for 1.5 hours to get checked in. They told us flight was delayed but couldn't tell us for how long. They gave us a $15 food voucher and sent us to wait. Flight was 3 hours late. Interestingly on the departure board all Sunwing flights were delayed. Got on plane and none of the headphone outlets worked in my row of seats, therefore couldn't watch or listen to anything. The other problem I have with Sunwing is their baggage allowance. All other airlines I've flown with give you a 50 lb baggage allowance but Sunwing only allows you 44 lbs. Big difference especially if you are travelling for more than one week. Plus the 5 kg carry on allowance is ridiculous. Our empty carry on suitcases (new hard shell light weight) with one pair of shoes was 5 kg so I travelled to Mexico with 2 virtually empty carry ons. I wouldn't recommend this airline especially if you have to make a connection. I would be worried about their problem with flight delays.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  18 February 2013 by M Bondy    (Canada)

Horrible experience on more than one occasion and destination with this airline. I will choose to pay extra and have a stop over to avoid flying them again! I will only fly them again if there is no other choice. The only reason I am giving the airline a 2 and not a 0 is because I had decent flight attendants and was served a decent meal. People at the check in counter both in Calgary and other countries awful as well. Not willing to help, and each person you talk to will give you a different story.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  18 February 2013 by B Cleveland    (Canada)

The blizzard in Halifax on February 9th shut down the entire airport and we were sure our vacation was ruined. Sunwing flew their plane in, switched crews and got us to Cuba with only a couple hours delay. The only plane to get out of Halifax last weekend. The crew were friendly, kept us informed, we had meals and champagne.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  15 February 2013 by Carrie McDonald    (Canada)

I recently flew to Bahamas Feb 3rd from Toronto, my first time flying with them and will be my last. On the way to Bahamas we had a 6.05pm flight, which we found out last min was delayed - they said 3 hrs, no explanation. Asked the Sunwing Reps and they said they had no idea why it was delayed, weather was great that day. They gave us a $10 food voucher. Check in was very slow, they only had 2 people working and they had to hand write everyone's vouchers. Took off a 9pm which got us to Bahamas at midnight, arrived at our resort close to 2 am. Return flight also delayed 4 hrs, it was scheduled to leave at 10.30 pm but left at 2.30 am, no explanation at all! At this time of night the Bahamas airport was basically closed down, no food or water. We were signed up to get email notifications of any delays, we received nothing! Disappointing.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  15 February 2013 by Keith de Cruz    (Canada)

Used Sunwing vacations for a trip to Puerto Vallarta on Feb 1, 2013. Flight delayed 4 hours leaving Ottawa. Not only was there no explanation but they only told us that at check in. Leaving Mexico the same thing happened. After saying it was on time, the plane was 2.5 hours late and again they only told us at the airport, rather that let us wait at the hotel were we could eat, drink and relax. The seats are so small, if you have a larger passenger next to you, you'll have to sit at an angle in order to fit. I'll never use Sunwing again.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  14 February 2013 by C Babilon    (Canada)

Recently flew back from Jamaica with Sunwing and was very disappointed. Their representatives in Jamaica were not helpful in any situation. As for the airline itself, all I can say that they have very poor communication skills. Our flight got delayed a few times during the day, until finally we board the plane just to get off again in a few minutes. Very disorganized - they did not give us any reasons. The one day delay would not have been just a big deal if we would have been told from the beginning. On top of the run- around, since they knew from the night before that they did not have any food for us on the plane, no one told us to get something into us before we board. It was 7 hours without food. We did get a $150 voucher for our next trip, really?

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  14 February 2013 by Martha Miller    (Canada)

We travelled back from Punta Cana on February 2nd, actually February 3rd as our flight was delayed for several hours. Checked out of our resort on Saturday morning for a 12.30 flight only to be told by the Sunwing rep that the flight was delayed until midnight, no real excuse given! At around 6, my husband checked the board again, went to the Sunwing rep and found out the flight was further delayed. The plane was delayed for another hour, when we finally boarded we were served a dinner menu at 7 in the morning! Not provided with headphones even though the movie was playing. The plane was so small, I am a small person but could not even move my legs! Never, ever again would I fly this airline. We were re-imbursed the $49 for the hotel room. As far as I am concerned, this airline is just providing a shuttle service back and forth to these resorts and it is only to make money, customers do not matter to them!

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  14 February 2013 by K Beadman    (Canada)

Feb 1 - Feb 8, Ottawa - Puerto Vallarta. Flight out was 5.5 hours late due to late departure from Cuba and slow service in Ottawa. Were given meal vouchers and waited. Flight was fine, elite seats with extra leg room was nice but seat mates who sprawl aren't. Entertainment system wasn't working properly - sound kept dropping out. Service was fine. Return was 1.5 hours late but was on day of major storm in Canada that saw many stranded but not us. Flight was fin. All in all no worse no better than other charter airlines.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  13 February 2013 by Mike Parsons    (Canada)

Sunwing flight to Varadero was only delayed by an hour and a half due to weather (de-icing). Flight crew was great, food was ok and included wine. This was from Windsor on Jan 31st. Return flight on Feb 7th was equally good. I have heard of delays, but most of them are weather related and flyers have to be aware that safety is first priority.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  13 February 2013 by R Morris    (Canada)

I booked with Sunwing for Feb 13, 2013 going from Toronto to Las Vegas. It was a 3.30pm flight. The plane pushed back from the gate right on time and headed for the runway. Once there it turned around and headed back to the gate. The pilot said there was a slight problem and it would only take an hour to fix. We sat on the plane for 1.5 hours and then de-boarded. I asked at the gate if there was a chance that the flight would be cancelled and was assured that we would be departing. Finally at 9.30pm they cancelled the flight. No explanations, no apologies, nothing. I was told on the return flight that Sunwing doesn't even own their planes. They rent them from different airlines all over the world. The plane we were on for the return trip was from Czech Airlines. I will never fly Sunwing again.

SUNWING AIRLINES Customer review :  13 February 2013 by N Hansen    (Canada)

We were to fly Jan 14 from Calgary to Cancun at 10.15am. When we arrived at the airport there was a notice - flight delayed until 8.50pm. Given a voucher for a hotel room but no food. Later told when the flight from Cuba arrived we would take this plane. However, our flight crew was sent elsewhere. When we arrived at 5.50pm checked luggage without incident, cleared security and off to have a drink. 1.5 hrs later we hear one announcement for Sunwing. No reps to be found, Westjet employee advised us that the flight was cancelled and would go tomorrow at 11.45 am. Collected the luggage, got in yet another queue for hotel and food vouchers. Minimal staff present to answer questions. The next morning we check in again, and learn the plane we are taking to Cancun was to go to Huatulco. There is poor management starting at the top, lack of organization, possible poor maintenance on airplanes and huge lack of service. We lost 26 hours of our vacation. I will not recommend Sunwing or fly Sunwing ever again!