Germanwings Passenger Reviews and Germanwings Customer Trip Reports

1 2

Germanwings Customer review :  15 August 2014 by S Hopkinson    (UK)

Due to fly from London Heathrow to Berlin Tegel on 20 July. Initially, the flight was delayed for about 1 hour. This was later extended to 3.5 hours and then the flight was cancelled. Offered overnight accommodation at a hotel nearby. Told to come back for the next available flight to Berlin which was 24 hours later! After arguing at the ticket desk, we were offered a morning flight to Stuttgart with onward transfer to Berlin. No word of apology. Luggage was lost at the airport and arrived 4 days later in Berlin after making numerous telephone calls and speaking to the Chief Executive of baggage handling company. Germanwings told us nothing and made no effort to contact us regarding the missing luggage or offer any form of compensation. Will never fly with this airline again.

Germanwings Customer review :  26 July 2014 by Fischer Felix    (Austria)

I flew from Vienna to Hamburg and return with Germanwings because Lufthansa doesn't fly there anymore and the Austrian flight times didn't fit my plans. I was pleasantly surprised that Germanwings already has the new LH and OS seats. Overall the journey was really good. The flights were on time, the crew very friendly and funny and the catering was also very good! I think I would choose Germanwings on further journeys!

Germanwings Customer review :  26 July 2014 by A Wilson    (UK)

Flew from LHR to TXL on 14/7/14. Could not complain about a single aspect of this flight considering it was just over an hour, paid extra for seat choice and a snack and both went off without a hitch. Departed on time and landed on time, staff were fine, everything was fine. Will look at flying Germanwings again should I have cause to return to Germany.

Germanwings Customer review :  23 July 2014 by Max Nolte    (Germany)

As Germanwings is the Low-Cost carrier of Lufthansa it is of course better not to choose them for flights longer than 3hrs. I bought a ticket for EUR 150 - DUS-PMI-DUS (smart tariff) and was very satisfied with the service. Very friendly staff and for a 2hr flight spacious seats. With smart tariff you have 1 x luggage and 1 x meal included. The snack is ok. Nothing special.

Germanwings Customer review :  11 July 2014 by D Graubard    (USA)

Flew from Brussels to Stuttgart non-stop on 4 June 2014. Flight was on-time and comfortable. Flight attendants were very friendly and social with the passengers. Sandwich and drink provided per my fare paid and it was delicious. Convenience of a non-stop flight saved a lot of time - landed and bussed to the terminal quickly. Hadn't flown Germanwings in 5 years and was nice to enjoy them again.

Germanwings Customer review :  9 July 2014 by H Michiel    (Netherlands)

Germanwings took over the service on Dusseldorf - Basel route from Lufthansa. I am a business traveller and normally book my flights 2 weeks in advance. I flew with Lufthansa for >1 year. Since Germanwings took over the average price of tickets has increased for me by +/- 50%. With Lufthansa prices were between 180-300 euros, with Germanwings there are almost never <300 euros. Germanwings service is okay, but less than Lufthansa. I don't think flying with Germanwings on that route is a good deal. To me it seems Lufthansa group is optimizing its turnover instead of its price/ quality ratio and customer service. For business travellers to Basel, Germanwings is the only real option, so I cannot switch to another airliner. Would Air Berlin operate on the same route I would most probably choose to fly with them. Even easy jet is a better pick (they fly from Brussels). Half the price, so it leaves enough room to buy all optional service you need.

Germanwings Customer review :  4 June 2014 by Eelco van den Heuvel    (Netherlands)

CGN-ZRH return. Living close to the German border I can choose from three airports (AMS, DUS, CGN) and five airlines to fly to Zurich. Germanwings was by far the cheapest, and I don't mind missing a drink on a 55 min flight. Paid 166 rtn for 2, incl one bag. Flights bang on time, seat pitch ok thanks to new, thinner seats, good information from the cockpit. I just don't understand why they park near an aerobridge at CGN and directing us into a bus. Probably airport policy, but maybe Germanwings can sort this out with CGN.

Germanwings Customer review :  29 May 2014 by A Maynard    (UK)

First time I have used Germanwings for connecting flights (via Hamburg). The APP does not work properly. They are unable to issue both boarding cards on check in, causing unnecessary inconvenience. Their "Live" Twitter response averages 24 hours to reply. Cabin crew spend most time behind front galley curtains. Also fail to do proper cabin secure checks prior to landing. Seats new ultra thin models, OK for short flights. Seat pitch OK on the extra space seats. Smart fare snack boring and repetitive. They have taken over a lot of Lufthansa routes and to be honest, they are not really geared up for it. Poor ground handling and communications.

Germanwings Customer review :  26 May 2014 by B Lucking    (UK)

Shocking customer service, only channel for any complaint is the customer helpline which they charge you to call! - after 1/2 hr, the line just cuts off. Still trying to contact German wings for a refund of my flight which was cancelled due to German industrial action. I'm a regular traveller on Stansted to Stuttgart route, and since the strike 7 out of the last 8 flights have been delayed by 1/2hr or more. If there was another flight operator on this route, I'd be choosing them instead but I'm stuck with poor service and inefficiency on Germanwings.

Germanwings Customer review :  4 May 2014 by Steven Cal    (China)

Prague-Cologne, May 1 on brand new A319. Flight departed and arrived on time, very clean cabin, spacious legroom and comfortable seat. I paid smart price which include a sandwich/small bottle water/one time juice or soft drink service, cabin crew friendly and efficient. Will fly with 4U again definitely.

Germanwings Customer review :  4 April 2014 by Mark Simons    (UK)

Flew out of LHR to Cologne. As the strike was due to start I asked at check in and the ticket desk to be told "we have no news and if you get on this flight and the return is cancelled it's your fault"! Charming service. Low and behold as soon as we landed I got a text saying the return had been cancelled. Flight itself was fine, swift boarding and the luxury of the happy-snack. On time landing with bags off quickly, so flight gets a 9, customer service a 1.

Germanwings Customer review :  6 March 2014 by J Atchison    (Germany)

4U3375, 22/2/14. STN-HAJ. Low cost, low service. But all in all good flight. Plane was half empty, had 2 rows to myself. Seats were uncomfortable. Same as Lufthansa has. After an hour my back hurt.

Germanwings Customer review :  4 March 2014 by C Dong    (Germany)

We used Germanwings for the first and last time last weekend. Our flight from Berlin TXL to Nuernberg on 2nd March 2014, flight number 4U8062, I checked in online prior to the flight. Arrived at the airport 1 hour early, we were informed that the flight was delayed, so we sat at the waiting area 15 meters away from the departing gate Tegel D75. There was no announcement for the Nuernberg flight and the next time we asked, we were told the flight had already departed. Of course there was no Germanwing personnel to be found, and we went to the Lufthansa/Germanwing service counter and were told the plane was boarding! So we run back, only to find that the plane had already departed! We run back again to the service counter. In the end we bought tickets with another airline the same day 1 hour later. I would not take Germanwings again and would not recommend it.

Germanwings Customer review :  7 February 2014 by H Mutschler    (Germany)

Flew Cologne to Hamburg, booked on Lufthansa webpage and ended up in Germanwings. Prices for ticket does not match the service offered. No newspaper at the gate or in the plane. Had smart ticket, with more legroom and a little snack. Well the snack was one cheese or ham bun with a tiny little bottle of water with no glass, a chocolate drop. Only one drink offered as well and only hot or soft drink, no beer like Lufthansa. Was booked on middle seat, even my account stated that I prefer aisle seat.

Germanwings Customer review :  25 January 2014 by Hans Roloff    (Germany)

CGN-LIS, booked long ago (05/2013) when their new fare scheme (Smart, Best etc.) was not implemented yet, thus I sat in seat 1F with generous legroom, but got only a few points credited. But it was a good price and a generally acceptable standard as far as baggage allowance, seat quality etc. is concerned. Flight left a little late, no apology or reason given, but with good tailwinds we made an on time arrival. Service on board was ok, although the quality of their turkey salami sandwich is well below my standard, it's just the fluffy British-American sandwich style, not using the crispy rolls we like in Germany. On such "longer flights" of more than two hours they should offer a pasta or a similar hot dish as their parent company does on similar routes. Beverages were served as well - standard ones free of charge, special ones or alcoholic drinks for a hefty price which is unacceptable to me (almost five Euros for a small bottle of wine (187 ml) in a plastic glass). No newspapers or other "entertainment". Friendly and efficient service. I have to tell myself again and again: you get what you paid for - and that's what I did on this flight.

Germanwings Customer review :  25 January 2014 by R Dhillon    (Germany)

I have now started realising what game Germanwings are playing with their paying customers. On three occasions now I have taken Germanwings return flights to Brussels. On every occasion the flight has been cancelled on the return journey to Stuttgart. This is because they do not have a full flight (around 50-100 passengers max) and therefore they make an excuse about a technical problem and shift passengers to the next scheduled flight which is also not full in order to send one flight to Stuttgart full of passengers but over three hours delayed. They are being greedy and looking after their profits and with no care for the passengers who need to get to their destinations or connecting flights. This is an absolute fraud and Germanwings are an insult to the passengers. Horrendous customer service, always no manager to be found and just one or two ground staff passing on messages to frustrated passengers.

Germanwings Customer review :  7 January 2014 by R Schmidt    (Germany)

Flight from Barcelona to Stuttgart: The plane arrived delayed, the ground seemed not be able to cope with the situation. The flight was very rough. We arrived late and I had to wait one hour for the next train at Stuttgart main station. Never again!

Germanwings Customer review :  16 December 2013 by J Krautmacher    (Germany)

We (2 adults) flew from CGN to ZHR in SMART. The flight was surprisingly very good. Much legroom in rows 1 to 10, nice and friendly flight attendants. The snack was quite okay. Price was fine, in future we will be flying Germanwings if possible.

Germanwings Customer review :  6 December 2013 by J Nieminen    (Finland)

We had bought Germanwings tickets from Helsinki to Berlin (and back) and departure should have been on December 6th 2013. However, the flight was cancelled due to "adverse weather conditions" (other airlines were flying to Berling that day, though). We didn't get any notification about cancellation by email, sms or other means. At the airport there was nobody helping us to sort this out. Some ladies gave A4 prints with this kind of message to annoyed passengers: "If you want to rebook your flight onto another date within the next seven days or you wish to receive a refund, please refer to www.germanwings.com to cancel or change your booking without any additional cost". At the Lufthansa desk everybody was just raising their hands and telling us that they can't re-route us to Lufthansa flights, because our tickets were bought from the Germanwings website. Instead, they could have sold us new tickets for Lufthansa, costing almost thousand euros per person! The next Germanwings flight wasn't leaving until the day after tomorrow, so it wasn't any solution. So, in the case of flight cancellation, this company won't take you to the destination at its own cost as other airlines do.

Germanwings Customer review :  2 December 2013 by Gordon Kift    (UK)

Flew from Birmingham to Berlin on 5 day winter break. Could not fault timeliness and having booked the smart price seating we were very impressed with leg room available. Plus the plane was very clean and gave a light and airy feeling. The food on offer was not very original with the same on offer outbound and inbound, however people must remember that these are budget flights and for the money paid everything from check in through inflight was excellent. We would have no hesitation in using this company again and will be recommending them to friends and family.

Germanwings Customer review :  2 December 2013 by Elizabeth Hoddy    (UK)

I am a regular customer of Germanwings and up until now have had no complaints. However a few weeks ago I was informed that my flights to and from London Stansted to Cologne from 10/12 to 18/12 had been changed to the evening flight due to what they called "operative" reasons. I'm sure it was over-booking. I was extremely angry. I had booked my flight well in advance and was forced to pay a £5 fine to change my coach trip from London to Stansted and back. If it happens one more time I shall never use the airline again.

Germanwings Customer review :  18 November 2013 by R Bakker    (Netherlands)

Budapest to Cologne. Ground staff were pleasant (was allowed to take extra bag without charge) boarding was fast and professional, onboard the stewardesses were poorly trained in people management, almost rude to passengers, no interest whatsoever, only talking amongst themselves. Upon leaving the plane she said goodbye whilst looking completely uninterested the other way! I did not feel welcome at all onboard. Captain was informative and nice, we had to do a "Go Around", no problem all went well. We landed on time. All in all very disappointed with onboard flight attendants.

Germanwings Customer review :  23 October 2013 by G Tornabene    (UK)

Flew return from Heathrow to Koln on the 15th and 17th October and both flights left a very good impression. On the flight out of Heathrow the ground staff advised about a 10/15 minute delay due to the late arrival of the inbound flight, once seated the captain advised that he would make up time and we would still be able to arrive on time which we did, so all was good. The inflight service was good and efficient as one would expect from a German based company. The seats in the Smart section were comfortable and had plenty of leg room. The ground staff in the UK were efficient however one of the check staff in Koln was rather much too strict in not letting us check in at her desk, even though we were the only ones checking in at the time. As seasoned long haul travellers, overall Germanwings, as a low cost carrier, have left a very good impression on my 2 colleagues and myself and I am sure that we will use and recommend this carrier again and again.

Germanwings Customer review :  21 October 2013 by H Roloff    (Germany)

Flight from Vienna to Cologne - VIE-CGN - on the standard A319 airbus. Using the smart price "class" (level) my wife and myself had comfortable seats and legroom for this trip of 1h10min. The snack box offered and its contents are just poor, the only reason for paying the surcharge called "smart price" is preselected seating and one piece of checked in luggage. The general quality of service is acceptable - friendly crew, efficient service, clean planes plus the feeling of safety/security you buy in a plane of the Lufthansa group. But do not forget: it is still a low cost flight - as a long time Lufthansa frequent traveller I will never get accustomed to the fact that they try to charge £4.90 for a wine. No passenger bought any alcoholic beverage.

Germanwings Customer review :  30 September 2013 by H Mutschler    (Germany)

CGN to FAO, Cologne to Faro on an A320. Outbound flight a little late, due to late arrival of aircraft. Flight was on a jetway, but passengers had to use the stairs. Crew were nice and flight was full, same on return flight from Faro. I had a smart price ticket, so you should sit in row 4 to 14 with more legroom, onward flight I was seated row 15, return row 23. As miles and more member in my profile they knew that I needed a lactose free meal, but you only get a snack box (cheese sandwich/roll or chicken/salami sandwich/roll), but both are not with butter/margarine, they all contain cream cheese as basic spread so I was not able to eat that. When the crew came around, I was entitled to only one soft drink, you have to pay for wine or a beer. Spirits not available at all. Since both flights were full and only 3 crew members were on board it was a hard job for them. They have less toilets compared to the old LH planes, so we had only 2 toilets for almost 150 passengers, on the return flight one WC was not serviceable.

Germanwings Customer review :  27 September 2013 by P Wilkinson    (UK)

Outbound, the passengers were sent to gate, clear we were considerably delayed but no information shared. Onboard the Captain informed us the cabin crew arrived late due to local motorway problems. However, passengers had made it! The snacks offered were poor value for money. The crew disinterested. Return flight (my fault) I'd not included cabin baggage. The staff's manner of relaying this information was mocking and dismissive. The only positive is that the flight cost is reasonable. I'd avoid this airline if you want to be treated with respect.

Germanwings Customer review :  13 August 2013 by H Mutschler    (Germany)

Flew over the weekend CGN-ZRH. Booked Lufthansa but got Germanwings due to LH changing operation in Europe to 4U. First leg was late over 40 minutes with no explanation done, when the gate crew announced a 2nd delay of another 15-20 minutes due tyres had to be changed the gate was open to board. Take off was just after boarding, so there was no tyre change. So no more Snacks and Drinks, unless you pay for it. Bought muffin and coffee, quality ok, but you pay. Return flight was on time, crew at gate much nicer. Cockpit gave information about the flight. Crew served beer for 3 Euros. Would that this flight would be LH again.

Germanwings Customer review :  5 August 2013 by R Christopher    (UK)

29th July 2013. London Heathrow to Cologne, flight 4U461. I checked in online for the flight as instructed on their website and then went to the airport ‘bag drop. The queue was very long and only one lady was in charge of the entire queue. She understandably looked stressed. Flight was on an A319 and the seats were comfortable enough for a short trip. A snack was offered for sale as this airline is a Budget airline but one which allows for through baggage. I picked this airline for my trip down to Italy partly based on price and partly based on the reputation of being the best of the lower price airlines. The captain was informative and the crew seemed to be pleasant and very well turned out indeed. During quite bad turbulence not enough was done to calm the fears of passengers. Arrival into Cologne was a pleasure and the modern and friendly airport made for a good stop over on my way to Italy. I shall report my next flight in more detail in a separate report.

Germanwings Customer review :  5 August 2013 by R Christopher    (UK)

29th July 2013, Flight 4U838 from Cologne to Bologna. Flight was the second of two that day with the same airline. Flight delayed 1 hour due to the late arrival of the inbound flight. Staff kept the passengers informed in a polite and professional manner. Boarding was orderly and sensibly managed. The cabin crew warmly welcomed the passengers. The flight had severe turbulence and the crew did little to allay the fears of passengers. The lady Pilot made a few semi-audible announcements and did seemed to be focused on making up for the delay. Disembarkation was chaotic as Italian passengers pushed to exit the flight. The cabin crew did nothing to try and control what could have been a dangerous situation. The fare was not the cheapest of fares on offer and due to the abrupt manner of the cabin crew on this flight my experience of Germanwings has been soured somewhat. I won't use Germanwings on this route again.

Germanwings Customer review :  2 July 2013 by S Ptctan    (Germany)

BRE-STR. Normal LCC. Staff friendly, prices on board ok, plane clean. Travelled with hand luggage only, which was not weighed.

Germanwings Customer review :  29 June 2013 by Giannicola Bonora    (Italy)

Flown Verona to Cologne connecting to Manchester. I think this airline deserves its 3-star status. It's peculiar as a low-cost airline as it offers connecting flights, though prices average double compared to the cheapest point to point options. The space for legs on a Standard A319 is the best I've found in the last 6 years of low- cost travelling. Personnel look professional throughout. Onboard prices quite competitive for euro nationals. I will definitely fly with them if I need to go to Germany in future.

Germanwings Customer review :  26 June 2013 by Joerg Boese    (Germany)

Hamburg-Nuremberg-Hamburg. Outbound flight 40 minutes late due to technical problems with the reservation system. Most web check-ins had been deleted and boarding cards had to be reassigned at the gate. Horrible seating. Inbound flight was 70 minutes late due to 'problems all day long' as the captain mentioned. Slightly better seating (older seats). Anyway, if Lufthansa stakes their salvation on this airline they must have lost their mind. I am a Senator with LH, but except Lounge access there are no advantages.

Germanwings Customer review :  4 June 2013 by L Frerichs    (Germany)

FTL-M&M Frequent flyer status. I can't believe LH will put their name to this. No priority check-in. As silver or gold member you are waiting together with Economy passengers. This took an hour both ways on my round-trip from HAM-VIE. With LH or another Star Alliance partner this takes less than 10 minutes, especially for FTL or GOLD. There was an error on my ticket. Ticket counter could not help, but kept the ticket and I could not use the check- machine for reprinting the ticket. Again 40 minutes waiting at check-in. Check-in opens 2 hours before departure in VIE. Check-in is located so far away from LH, you won't believe it. Germanwings is departing from Gates where there are no Lounges. No priority check-in at VIE airport either. As FTL you have privileges when booking and choosing the seat. Reservations from row 1 are possible. The check-in procedure and amenities are awful. Next time I will choose a star alliance partner for sure.

Germanwings Customer review :  1 June 2013 by Margaret Houghton    (UK)

We have just returned from Cologne to Manchester using Germanwings - we were very impressed - we have frequently used other cheap airlines and if you want more, pay more! You can check in on line 72 hours before travelling and can select seats free of charge. The only criticism is that you can't check in for return at the same time, as you can with other airlines - that means unless you have access to a printer while away you are assigned seats at the airport for the return journey.

Germanwings Customer review :  31 May 2013 by S P Jones    (UK)

SPU-DTM.30th May 2013. 08.20 Departure. Flight arrived in from Cologne on time. Upon boarding the return leg to Dortmund, the senior male cabin crew member stood at the forward door and did not acknowledge any of his passengers when we boarded. Not a Good Morning or Hello or even the slightest hint of a smile. After Take Off the racket of banging galley doors continued throughout the flight! The senior male cabin crew member commenced service from the front of the cabin by himself, I was clearly travelling on my own, astonishingly his inflight service statement was "und Sie" (and you)! Not what would I like to drink or would I like a Cheese or Ham sandwich? Not even a smile and showing No enthusiasm! Upon leaving the aircraft I didn't expect a Goodbye and of course didn't receive One. Poor customer service.

Germanwings Customer review :  21 May 2013 by Vincent Sweeney    (UK)

Travelled from Manchester to Vienna with a 3 hour stop over in Koln/Bonn. First flight was good with an on time departure, reasonably friendly cabin crew staff and a decent and comfortable journey. However from our stop in Koln/Bonn the trip deteriorated. We were segregated into a small area of the airport with very little to do, see or even eat/shop. The second flight was 45 minutes late and had some of the most miserable cabin staff I have ever experienced. I wasn't even offer a drink to purchase. I would rate Germanwings as very average and certainly not what I would expect from a German carrier.

Germanwings Customer review :  18 April 2013 by V Ladhani    (Germany)

HAM-STR. Ground staff at Hamburg were pleasant and everything was swift on ground. A319 aircraft on this route was nearly 50% full. Legroom is acceptable and enough information was given by captain. Aircraft landed 5 minutes late and I had a tight connection for further travel by train. I had checked in a piece of luggage and feared that I miss my train connection but luggage arrive on belts in Stuttgart airport very quickly and I did make my connection. Snacks and drinks onboard are very expensive. All in all a good experience for the price paid.

Germanwings Customer review :  17 April 2013 by Sharen Trebacz    (UK)

Flew to Cologne from LHR on 29th March 2013 and back on 1st April 2013 and I have to say Germanwings were fantastic. The aircraft was comfortable and the staff friendly and cheerful. We were delayed taking off (through no fault of Germanwings) but we made up time. On the return journey we took off on time and landed on time. Would definitely fly with Germanwings again.

Germanwings Customer review :  18 February 2013 by P Knap    (Germany)

CGN-TXL, A319. Evening service after Cologne Carnival parade. Lots of passengers and even captain disguised accordingly. Boarding delayed due to late arrival from previous flight but crew managed to catch up: departure on time, arrival 10 min early. Crew quite neutral whereas Captain made funny announcements in view of the carnival. Seat comfort is okay for such a short hop. Only buy-on-board program with relatively high pricing compared to quantity of products - so I opted for nothing. Germanwings is low cost and you practically pay for everything you want extra besides the seat. Germanwings has taken over complete service from Lufthansa on that particular route. Being Star Alliance Silver/FTL at Lufthansa means nothing if you fly on Germanwings (a 100% Lufthansa subsidiary). Some weeks ago in 2012 when LH still served the sector FTLs were allowed to use the LH business lounge. Now they offer you lounge access for "an insignificant fee of" 25 € - what a joke!

Germanwings Customer review :  7 February 2013 by C Zacher    (Germany)

Booked Lufthansa flight Cologne-Berlin on 28 Jan. On 2 Jan I got the information that the flight was operated by Germanwings, a German low-cost carrier. So was the flight. Low cost: 1 hrs delayed, for my beer I had to pay in Euros - cash. Lounge use was denied as the flight was operated under 4U code. No service for a high Lufthansa price. Not recommended, very disappointed.

Germanwings Customer review :  2 February 2013 by Michael Hartley-Holthuysen    (Germany)

Sad affair on a flight from Treviso to Cologne. Due to non-availability of ILS landing at Treviso plane had to land at Venice airport 50 km away. At no time did the ground crew provide any information, and simply carted us like cattle through the Italian countryside. Left us wait on the apron of Venice airport - without water or information. Terrible flight - without any customer service whatsoever.

Germanwings Customer review :  20 December 2012 by Pelan Ray    (UK)

Flew back from Cologne on the 10th December - flight returned after 20 minutes due to technical faults - attempted to re-board 2 hours and 10 minutes after original flight time but was told catering being loaded onto replacement thus further delay, meaning flight delayed to 3 hrs 15 mins. No complaint forms as promised, no non EU passenger cards given. Not a budget airline at £327 for 2 return tickets from LHR, best avoided, the rep in Cologne treated the whole episode as a joke.

Germanwings Customer review :  20 December 2012 by Pelan Ray    (UK)

Flew to Cologne from LHR - return flight had to be diverted back to Cologne due to technical difficulties - over 2 hours after the original departure time we were told to embark, after which, having endured a 15 minute wait on an unmanned bus in minus 6 degrees we were told the replacement flight was delayed for catering to be loaded. Eventually left 3 hrs 15 mins late. Promised complaint forms never materialised. Will avoid this airline in future at all costs, and at £327 for 2 hardly a budget price.

Germanwings Customer review :  19 December 2012 by M Jerman    (UK)

STN-CGN. Delayed 30 minutes with no reason or apology given. Flight completely full with boarding well organised if somewhat slow. Due to high load locker space at premium so some passengers ended up sitting with big trolley bags under the aisle seat, blocking the other passengers' exit. This went unnoticed and/or challenged by the cabin crew. Leg room poor towards the rear, seats reasonable comfortable. Crew not very polite at all, impossible to get smile out of them but reasonable efficient. Didn't buy anything from their menu, prices seamed reasonable. The only reason I would recommend Germanwings is if the ticket is cheap and due to the fact you can collect miles for LH Miles and More programme.

Germanwings Customer review :  18 December 2012 by A Hicks    (Germany)

On a recent trip from Stuttgart to Stansted I had the window seat in a row which was also occupied by a young mother and her four or five year old daughter. The minor took the seat next to me. Once we had achieved cruising altitude the mother produced an iPad from her bag and placed it on the table in front of the child. Then, without the slightest consideration for their fellow passengers a Mickey Mouse movie was run with the soundtrack coming to all in earshot over the speakers. Since it was a reasonably short flight I plugged my own headphones in a did my best to ignore the cartoon. Now that such technology is available I think it might be high time for Germanwings to regulate such behavior. Obviously a sense of social responsibility is no longer sufficient. Germanwings usually provides a decent service, it would be a shame if they allow selfishly ignorant passengers to spoil it.

Germanwings Customer review :  15 December 2012 by Karen Taylor    (UK)

London Stansted to Stuttgart, Germany. Return. More than satisfied with both legs of the flight. I expected an Easyjet type arrangement but GW are definitely better. Flight attendants were snarly though on outbound leg, but it was only an hours trip. Food on board should be avoided though.

Germanwings Customer review :  13 November 2012 by R Marchant    (UK)

On the booking confirmation form, downloaded from the Internet, it states that it contains all the information about the flight. Except it doesn't tell you which terminal the flight leaves from, or that they operate an online check-in service. This resulted in me going to terminal 5 along with a group of Germans (flying with another airline) being delayed for check in (at terminal 1) and eventually missing the flight. My own fault for not being obnoxious enough to push to the front of the queue. I then need to cancel my return flight and try to contact the call centre to get some assistance, but all calls to the UK number are barred.

Germanwings Customer review :  22 October 2012 by Nick Wilcock    (UK)

LHR-CGN; CGN-LHR. Flight booked and paid for through Lufthansa. However, if you are a LH Senator, none of your privileges are available at London Airport if flying to Köln, so was refused admittance to the Star Alliance Gold lounge in T1. Flight itself was chaos due to ground handling errors and late final figures, but the in-flight service was OK, if basic. Return leg from Köln was much better - able to use the Senator lounge and flight punctual. I loathe having to use Heathrow, but there are few options if flying to Köln these days.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  2 October 2012 by Jacqueline Matlock (Germany)

Flights to Dubrovnik, Croatia on 9/22 and return to Stuttgart on 9/29/2012 were both greatly delayed without explanation. I flew with a companion on same fare and she was served a beverage and offered sandwich on return flight but I was told I could not have even water without a 3 Euro purchase because of my fare, (a hotel package). The worst was that the first serving attendant did not even offer to sell me water. Access to information of our flight delay was not posted on Webpage in a timely manner and after midnight there was no information online for the flight. No information available at Stuttgart Airport while family waited from 11pm until 1am for our arrival. The scheduling for Stuttgart-Dubrovnik-Stuttgart should be reviewed and improved.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  10 September 2012 by Mark Simons (UK)

LHR-CGN-LHR. An excellent flight for a business trip. Outbound arrived on the dot, return 20 minutes early. Very polite staff, comfortable "best seat" with baguette and drink included, very clean aircraft, good legroom too. One of the best short haul flights I have taken for quite some time.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  6 August 2012 by Alexander Hart (UK)

For a low-cost airline, I was naturally not expecting very much at all; however, I was pleasantly surprised. For a slightly higher fee, I could get significantly more legroom (more than that on British Airways), seat preference choice (unlike most budget airlines), and food. The collective deal was well worth the price. I would recommend this airline.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  26 July 2012 by M Grey (Ireland)

We had a 6 hour delay for a 90 minute flight! Paid extra for seating and food but were told to sit anywhere and was stuck in a small seat which got even more claustrophobic when the passenger in front put their seat back. Return flight was 10 mins late! Then, despite paying for food, I was told I had to pay again if I wanted anything! Flight cost over EUR300 so was not cheap and overall this was the worst experience I have ever had on any airline.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  25 July 2012 by J Vells (UK)

STN-HAJ: Outward leg fine, comfortable leather seats. Return journey delayed by 1hr due to "Birds in engine", took off 1.5hrs late, however, we were last to board plane, and advised that all of the overhead luggage compartments were full. One of our bags was placed with the other main luggage. Once the bag had been taken we realised our passports were in this bag, and advised the crew. They told us that our bag would be given to us when we left the plane. Upon further enquiry, we found out that our hand luggage would turn up in baggage collection. So a wonderful arrival at Stansted, with no passports - kindly escorted to baggage collection to await hand luggage with passports - rather embarrassing. Anyhow, just a warning that crew don't seem to be aware. Other than that, a pleasant flight.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  14 July 2012 by H Mutschler (Germany)

PMI to CGN. Check in was open 2.5 hours before flight. Staff talking to each other and not to passengers. They forgot to label one bag and we had to remind them. Two umbrellas took ages to label for the flight and had to explain what to do. Staff unable to put the bonus miles into systems and we were transferred to another desk. Staff here useless and after 20 minutes they managed to enter the bonus number. Now only one of us has miles, while the other has no miles credited. Flight left late and drinks and food were served for charge. We had a voucher so we got a sandwich and one soft drink for free. Crew ok.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  16 May 2012 by Eelco van den Heuvel (Netherlands)

Fly an average of twice a year between North Rhine-Westphalia and Zürich. This time I flew Germanwings from CGN. Service is at the same level as LH and AB, apart from having to pay extra for drinks, food and luggage. Since I was travelling with hand luggage only, this was the cheapest option with 200 euro return (booked two weeks in advance). Flight was efficient and on time. Especially on the way back, pilot was very informative. Can't understand why plane in CGN parked right beside aviobridge and passengers were bussed to terminal.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  28 April 2012 by Kai Matuschewski (Germany)

TXL-CGN. On time flight and straightforward check-in. Very good value for money. Assigned and comfortable leather seat. Clearly stands out amongst the low-budget carriers.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  5 April 2012 by M Jerman (UK)

STR-STN. Check-in and gate staff friendly and efficient. Assigned seating a massive advantage to other low cost. Cabin crew reasonably ok, more efficient than friendly. Food/drinks onboard reasonably priced. Plane in good condition however I find new Recaro seats very uncomfortable. Legroom is good, so all in all bearable for a short flight.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  3 April 2012 by Nick Wilcock (UK)

LHR-CGN. Unfortunately, Lufthansa's service between London and Cologne is now operated by Germanwings. Upon arrival at the Star Alliance Gold check-in desk, I was told I could not use it and was directed to the Germanwings Economy Class check-in queue. I wasn't permitted to use the Star Alliance Gold lounge. The flight itself was ok, but the overall experience certainly was not. Oddly enough, when I returned from Cologne 2 days later, there was no problem using the Star Alliance Gold lounge. If Lufthansa expect to retain customer loyalty, they must restore Gold Card privileges at LHR for flights now operated by Germanwings.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  13 September 2011 by D Griffiths (UK)

EDI-CGN and CGN-MUC. I have always rated them as one of the best low cost airlines especially now that they allocate seats. However they don't have their own staff an EDI and the handling company can be hit or miss. There is no bag drop so even if you've checked in online you're still going have to join the regular queue. Having checked in on line and eventually dropped our bags, my wife and I were sitting in our allocated seats onboard - 10E and F when another passenger appeared with a boarding pass for seat 10F. After a few minutes a stewardess arrived with a computer printout showing us in seats 15A and B. Since these weren't extra leg-room seats for which we'd paid we flatly refused to move. Eventually the stewardess backed down and the other passenger was seated elsewhere. The flight itself was fine and the 'Happy Picnic' was tasty and good value. Travelling on from CGN to MUC a few days later we checked in by machine at the airport and dropped our luggage at the fast bag drop which really was fast. The whole process lasted under 5 mins. Again the flight was fine although air traffic restrictions led to a delay of about 25 mins.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  26 July 2011 by H Hilarides (Netherlands)

Istanbul to Dortmund. take off super. No problem with air pressure and painful ears. Long time waiting before checking in luggage. Service very good and friendly even when the system fails for a moment.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  25 July 2011 by H Mutschler (Germany)

Cologne-Marrakech return. Onward flight was late because boarding was a mess. Small snack and soft drink were offered for free since this was a charter flight. Crew disappeared after service. Seating on emergency seat was ok, but seats are not comfortable. Return flight was late. Aircraft was not full, flight was ok. This was a chartered flight and sandwich and soft drinks for free. But only 1 round for a 3.5 hr flight. Crew took good care of passengers.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  4 July 2011 by Roland Rodriguez (USA)

DUB-VCE via CGN. The flight arrived about a 30mins late into Dublin but managed to get to Cologne just about on time. Seats, cabin amenities, comfort all that you would expect for the price. We paid about $260 US for the three of us for the trip to Venice. No complaints - you got what you paid for. Only tricky thing was finding the transfer desk in CGN, a small podium squirreled in between some shops adjoining the departure gates. Coming from Ireland we had to get new boarding passes for the second segment.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  1 July 2011 by Andrew Dixon (UK)

STN-GGN-STN. Outward flight faultless. Swift check-in, a breeze through security, prompt boarding and an on- time departure. Crew friendly and efficient, and seats comfortable (paid for Best Seats at front of cabin). Got off the flight thinking this was a good airline. But return flight a completely different story. Got to boarding gate at CGN, to be told flight delayed for 20 mins, 3 hrs later we were still there! Information from staff appalling. Finally boarded another aircraft with the rudest crew I've ever met who huffed and puffed from boarding to landing. Despite the delay, no offer of refreshments. Out and home was like flying with 2 completely different airlines.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  6 June 2011 by J Day (UK)

Manchester to Berlin via Cologne/Bonn. Punctual and efficient. We booked picnic snack, selected our seats and baggage in the ticket price. Husband is 6"4 and enjoyed more legroom than other flights we had been on. Seats were leather and very comfortable.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  26 May 2011 by Alan Dron (UK)

Cologne/Bonn to London Stansted. Check-in straightforward. Flight delayed by 90 minutes, explanation given on board that planned aircraft had been unserviceable and replacement had to be found. Mildly irritating but fair enough. Ticket included a pre-paid snack that consisted of roll with some of the thinnest sliced meat I have ever encountered, but what do you really expect these days on a low-cost carrier, particularly on a short hop? Flight notable for large proportion of business travellers. Cabin crew friendly and efficient, ticket just about reasonable price.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  25 March 2011 by Ian de Souza (Germany)

Probably the best amongst the cheap flight carriers. Most comfortable, staff are good and when there is a problem they will actually try to resolve it. Despite being a cheap airline, they treat their passengers as people and not as cattle as is the norm with other similar airlines. Just stay away from the German Wings Credit card! This is not run by german Wings but an independent company. This is a real pain!

GERMANWINGS customer review :  24 March 2011 by Carl Heyde (Germany)

Munich to Cologne return. A nice experience. Online check-in with seat selection starts three days before departure and worked well. Clean cabin. Seat pitch is tight but no major issue on 1 hour flight. Outbound flight 20 minutes late due to traffic in MUC, return flight arrived ten minutes early. For the price paid (no-frills fare), I have nothing to complain about.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  14 February 2011 by Andrija Matic (Croatia)

ZAG-SXF on new A319 with clean cabin. Legroom okay, flight attendants professional (could smile a bit more) and inflight service food and beverage rates are acceptable. I have been using Germanwings several times per year and I find them a reliable low cost carrier that provides quality service for price paid.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  24 October 2010 by Dan Mason (Germany)

I've had at least eight Germanwings flights in the last two years. One thing I don't see in other reviews is the fact Germanwings will charge 7 Euro/kilo for anything over 20 kilos (44 lbs) on checked bags. This can be an unpleasant surprise. Naturally they refuse to pay you the same rate for underweight bags. In the last two years they have also occasionally weighed carry on bags with a limit of 10 kilo. Snacks and drinks are all an extra charge.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  25 September 2010 by Peter Marsh (UK)

MAN-CGN on A319. Punctual flight on a clean, modern plane. Extremely good value for the price paid. A decent bottle of beer on board at a reasonable price was a bonus. Very satisfied. I also used the fly/rail add-on train fare which is a real bargain if you're travelling any distance at the German end of the journey.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  22 September 2010 by H Mutschler (Germany)

Cologne to Palma Mallorca return. First leg delayed more than one hour, no explanation or apology. No food or drink if not paid for. Seats narrow and do not have any comfort. Return flight was Germanwings as well but plane was from TUI Fly, with nice legroom, but they need to adjust the Germanwings service, so no food or drink was served. Normally try to avoid flying them, but this was a package tour and had no choice.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  15 August 2010 by R Tukker (Netherlands)

Cologne-Zadar-Cologne. Check in at Cologne was swift and efficient. A319 clean and looked pretty new. Legroom is bigger than Lufthansa. Cabin crew was friendly. As we did not booked the lowest airfare, we received a simple, but tasty sandwich and drinks. Inbound flight a 737-800 apparently on lease from Hapag LLoyd. Legroom much more restricted, and the plane was fully booked. Cabin crew from TUI. Service and friendliness was good.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  15 August 2010 by M Smith (USA)

Great low cost airline. Flew Germanwings recently from Cologne to Prague. Very friendly and efficient. There are rules about baggage, check in, food, etc. but if followed a good option for low cost travel in Europe and there should be no hassles. Most importantly felt very safe.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  7 August 2010 by L Jeffcoat (USA)

Flight from Cologne to Santorini was very nice. The seats were comfortable with good pitch, friendly crew, clean plane, and the buy on board sandwiches were tasty and reasonably priced.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  3 August 2010 by H Mutschler (Germany)

Cologne to Palma, A319. Nothing served if not paid for. Flight left at 05:5am, not even a free coffee even on tour package. Arrived in Palma, baggage took more than 40min to arrive on belt.

GERMANWINGS customer review :  11 May 2010 by Tomas Krulis (Czech Republic)

PRG-CGN-PRG. Check-in at PRG okay. Onboard you have to pay for food or beverages (2-3 EUR for one piece), but for this short trip (55 ins)I think it is not necessary. Nice clean cabin, the problem is poor leg-room, but for a short flight it is possible to survive. A319 on both ways, almost full. The return flight was not so easy - at the moment we were boarding they told us to stop because of a technical problem and passengers had to move back out of the bus up to the terminal building where we had to wait next 3 hours till the problem was sorted out - after 1 hour of the waiting time they provided vouchers for refreshment (5 EUR to spend in kiosks around the terminal). Generally it was well organised. I was fortunately flexible and not in hurry to arrive at Prague on time. We were delayed for more than 3 hours with our departure.

1 2