Portland Airport

Portland Airport customer review

Love the free wifi and the Tri Met connecting the airport to downtown Portland (only for $2.05 too) but a pretty plain airport otherwise. The TSA staff were sometimes rude which isn't much to say since they are generally all work and low on courtesy everywhere in the US anyway.

Portland Airport customer review

I live in Portland and I find the airport nice with many restaurants and shops. However I find the TSA to consistently be rude. On my last flight from Portland I had a broken knee and was unable to walk. I was stopped at security because my metal leg brace set off the metal detector and I was searched for 40 minutes. I was only able to catch my plane as I continued to plead with them that I was about to miss my plane and I was in no condition to run to the gate. I was the last person onboard and I lost my seat so I had to hold my broken knee in the middle seat for 5.5 hours. The Portland TSA simply chose to harrass me. I have had many experiences in this airport that have been fine but based on this experience when I was disabled I would only give this airport a one star rating.

Portland Airport customer review

I would give PDX a five star rating if there weren't so many problems with the TSA staff here. I've flown in and out of PDX about a dozen times and PDX is easy to get in and out of easy to meet up with pre-arranged car service and the retail and restaurants are surprisingly diverse for an airport of its size. I travel a lot through many airports including all three NY airports and the PDX TSA staff is out of character for Oregon - aggressive poorly managed and obnoxious. My checked bag is opened by TSA virtually every time I've left from there my ID is scrutinized with loupes (it once took ten minutes for two TSA agents to find whatever they were looking for on my driver's license) and they are generally slow and procedure laden. I recently saw a TSA agent grab the lapel of a jacket worn by a Mexican woman who did not speak English and yell at her to take it off. I saw another TSA agent insist on taking away a walker from an elderly woman who obviously needed it to pass it through the X-ray machine. One TSA agent grabbed the laptop in my hands as I was putting it into a plastic bin for screening. I held onto it and he was incensed. He then had his friend at the X-ray machine single me out for a hand check of my bag. The original "grabber" then played out the hand check for a half hour in an attempt to make me miss my flight.

Portland Airport customer review

PDX is my home airport. As with others excellent points are: manageable size and layout shopping (interesting shops and food no state sales tax and airport does a good job at enforcing "same prices as in town" policy) connection to MAX light-rail right at the terminal. In addition I'll add that they do lots of nice musical promotions throughout the year: live music at various places both inside and outside of security. International connections are growing: NW to NRT and soon to AMS LH to FRA; transcon flights increasing as well. Often-slow baggage delivery is my only complaint and yes having to take checked bags from check-in counter to CTX machine is minor irritant as well. Still small price to pay for an otherwise great operation!

Portland Airport customer review

As a Southern Californian I consider PDX to be the Anti-LAX. Unlike LAX - PDX is clean bright modern efficient spacious and pleasant. The shopping and dining options in the mall connecting all concourses are among the most unique of US airports with lots of regional offerings instead of national chains. It's not a huge airport but rather a mid-sized airport for a mid-sized city. But just like Portland itself the airport is a gem. Did I mention how clean and sparkling PDX is? The modern MAX light rail line from the terminal into downtown and suburbs is a bonus and such a rarity in America. The only downside is that PDX is not the mega-hub that Seattle or San Fran is and so you sometimes have a hard time finding non-stop flights for transcon or overseas destinations. But overall PDX is one of America's most pleasant and manageable airports to spend time in.

Portland Airport customer review

De-boarding was quick and efficient. The terminal was airy and almost eerily empty - just one sleepy guard near the exit! On the way home Sun evening I took the light-rail MAX train to the airport from downtown Portland. It's about a half hour and goes through some interesting neighborhoods. This is a rarity for American airports and especially one as small as this but it very easy and only costs $1.50. Again the terminal was quiet and security was brisk. The selection of shops & restaurants was a bit underwhelming but I found everything I needed (magazine gourmet pizza oregon wine). I think calling this airport an "architectural masterpiece" is a bit of a stretch but all-in-all a well-designed and hassle-free airport. Can't wait to do it again!

Portland Airport customer review

PDX is a great airport in most respects: the lines move quickly there are separate security lines for Seattle-shuttle and Elite Frequent Fliers there is a good choice of food and the vast expanse of glass and skylights are great. Considering that Delta abandoned their hub here in 2001 the Airport did'nt fall apart but instead recruited Lufthansa an NWA nonstop to Tokyo and Alaska Airlines continues to grow PDX into a small hub. Now the negatives: when checking bags you must get them tagged at the ticket counter and then lug them to a TSA checkpoint which is sometimes far away. Worse is the baggage claim - it takes an eternity for your bags to appear on the belt - no matter which airline your are flying.

Portland Airport customer review

PDX Portland International Airort is a stress free airport through which to transit. The lines are relatively short and fast moving. Staff and the public at large are all very pleasant indeed. The terminal is straight forward with a one trip through security screening that allows you complete freedom to stoll around the terminal concourses. This feature is especially appreciated when changing concourses to catch connecting flights. There is a wide selection of food choices. Inside the terminal is the Oregon Marketplace a veritable mini mall offering a wide array of quality shops and travel services. And believe it or not the shops are governed by the airport management so that they are not allowed to charge higher prices than their retail counterparts outside the airport. And to put a little icing on the cake Oregon does NOT have a sales tax so the price you see marked on the merchandise is the actual price you pay! Try PDX; I think you'll like it.

Portland Airport customer review

Prior to flying through Portland a month ago I had heard how "strict" the security was in that airport. Yes security was stricter. Various stages of check-in did show to have a tighter security more than other airports. They were also extremely courteous professional and very efficient. Exactly how it should be! Portland Airport was much larger than I had expected however the ease of movement in the terminals made it easy to navigate around. All in all it was one of the best run airports I have travelled in!

Portland Airport customer review

Finally glad they finished construction at PDX long enough for me to enjoy using it. Currently based out of CVG I am kind of picky about airports but as an ex PDX resident I am proud of what they've done. The fern-overgrown carpark is derivative (did they steal the idea from MCO?) but the large protective canopy over the arrival/departure zone is the most practical architectural gem among US airports. PDX originated reasonable shopping at airports in the early 1980s and their collection has only gotten more eclectic since then. While the Terminal D-E departure hall -- meant to be a grand space -- is now podged with security equipment it's hardly packed out: traffic moves quickly for almost all flights. Unlike other airports Skyteam (and most other) silver elites get the priority queue at security regardless of fare -- a real plus in my book. Airside the best choices are Coffee People Widmer's Brewery and Northwest Travel Mart.