Johannesburg Airport

"Worst security staff I have ever had"

Not Verified | As operating Cockpit Crew Member we have arrived at Tambo Airport in the afternoon. COVID Test: First we had to do a COVID-19 Test. After 10 hours duty and minimum rest its not a pleasure to wait 30 minutes for the nurse and proceed another 30 minutes through a ton of paperwork. At the end we got our results in the hotel. Nobody was asking for this document again. So, why we had to do it if nobody is interested in the result. That was just a waste of time. Health Declaration: We filled the same document 3 times! 1 at arrival and 2 times at departure. Security Check: Security staff claimed Crew Baggage as "hand luggage". Security staff removed 1 screwdriver, 1 little scissor and shampoo. First off all, crew baggage is crew baggage and not hand luggage. What would a pilot do with a scissor. Worst security staff I have ever had in more of 20 years being a pilot. Handler: That was a highlight. Super friendly staff. Quick service and knows absolutely what he is doing. Thumbs up for this guy.
Date VisitNovember 2020

"rudeness at passport control"

Not Verified | To be honest I am not sure what is going on as the staff used to be very friendly however i have had to fly to Johannesburg twice now in the last 3 months and to be honest the staff are rude and unfriendly. I am really shocked about the level of rudeness at passport control. My message to the staff is this: If you guys want people to enjoy coming to South Africa you really need to become friendlier and more helpful.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"more than an hour to get through"

Trip Verified | Only 2 staff at border control for extremely long and continuously growing queues. Took me more than an hour to get through. And when I asked one of the guys on duty as to why management hadn't send more staff to assist he said 'more staff are around but it's the ladies and they just want to talk talk and not work work.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"The staff were so rude"

Not Verified | I had the worst experience at OR Tambo, I was with my four kids traveling back to Ireland from our holidays. The staff were so rude! They couldn't let us through as 2 of my kids have their father's surname but I am the sole parent and I had documentation for that and they didn't accept it telling me they need a consent letter from the father and all even though I'm their sole parent with documents to prove it! They were rude and had attitude towards me and my kids until my children got frustrated and started crying and shouting, they treated us very badly. OR Tambo has to improve with their staff so that their customer service improves. Fine I called their father in Ireland and asked him to write down consent he did and still they were just being nasty taking us back and forth until we missed our flight.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"more signs would be helpful"

Trip Verified | Older airport, not too large, yet sometimes long walkways. Airport structure is easy to understand, more signs would be helpful, but wayfinding is not too difficult. Staff were friendly. Security is high in check in area, with armed patrols. But actual security screening neither requires fluids nor tablets to be taken out.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"they seriously need to look at their passport control methods"

Not Verified | I think they seriously need to look at their passport control methods. I travel to South Africa every year to visit family and on arrival last week 2 members of staff were trying their best to cope with 4 plane loads of arrivals and today leaving there were only 4 on the one section. Maybe time for airports company to look at electronic style of passport control like other countries.

"needs more ambience"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | I would like to advise the airport to provide more alleviating music or sounds through the corridors of the intercalated arrivals. I found the space to be very mornay and needs more ambience and this will provide a happier mood and positive atmosphere. Instrumental music. I find this will be an attractive part of how people travelling from international destinations can gain more satisfaction disembarking from a long flight.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"staff were polite and helpful"

Trip Verified | Was really impressed by Johannesburg Airport, had previously read reviews before arriving and was quite nervous but it was absolutely perfect, staff were polite and helpful, so many shops to browse around. The only thing is you have to buy the plastic bag for your liquids in the bookstore for R2 beside security. Had no issues whatsoever with the airport.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"the worst airport experience"

(Mauritius)

Trip Verified | Travelling across so many countries, I came across the worst airport experience. Catching a flight of 1.55am was not at all easy experience at Tambo. Freezing cold! It was absolutely like waiting for a bus in the open air in the middle of the night. We use an airport to reach our destination in safe hands. It was a shame to have all those 200 passengers with babies left out in the cold. I request to do the needful for people using your airport.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"Security and Immigration was fine"

Not Verified | Went through OR Tambo airport three times in the course of a month. Contrary to what I have read here I really had no issues. Arrival initially into the country, immigration took maybe a half hour. Gentleman at gate asked why I was traveling, stamped and I was off. He smiled and was friendly. Customs, literally walked down a hall and a guy was leaning on a wall and I was done. Departed to fly to another African country three days later. Check in went fine, lady at Airlink was very friendly. Security and Immigration was fine, all together maybe 30 minutes total and nobody was unfriendly. Three weeks later departing to go back to the States. Same, no issues. At a pizza place while waiting, lady who waited on me was super friendly. Everybody in the shops, same. Boarding a large Boeing 777 for Atlanta, they had a system and it worked. No issues.
Date VisitSeptember 2019