Johannesburg Airport

"I have yet to have a bad experience at JNB"

(Norway)

Not Verified | There is a lot of bad reviews of Johannesburg airport, and i might not have as many airports on my "list" as many of the users of this website, but I have yet to have a bad experience at JNB, maybe it`s my state of mind, I don`t know, maybe i have been lucky with arrival/depature-times. My travels through JNB has been a breeze. My last time in November I tranferred to Hoedspruit with another airline. Very quickly through immigration/passportcontrol, baggage was collected quickly. Picked up my SA simcard, very helpful ladies in the store setting it up in my phone. Checking in to next flight, and through security again, no problems. I find in general the people working at the airport to be helpful and positive. If I would want something to get better at JNB, it`s signs and directions would be great.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"improve staff training"

Not Verified | Please improve staff training, the quality of service is a disgrace, embarrassing and ill-mannered. Poor communication with customers, no greeting with a smile in the shops, when asking for help people don't open the mouth to talk, they just point. I even asked a lady at the Duty free shop for arrivals, why everyone is not responding verbally and give proper directions or answer nicely to customers. The whole airport a majority of people are the same. Staff in Passport check section can't even smile or greet customers upon arrival. They just take the passport and stamp without even saying hello. I understand you serve hundreds of customers per day, but the protocol of such a job requires a special welcoming approach. Foreigners are bringing money to the country and boosting the economy no need to be cold to them. I even asked one of the Officers why they don't greet customers let alone smile. He said according to SA culture, the person coming into the country must be the one greeting. Come on!!! we are in a modern world with diverse people and this requires adaptability when dealing with people. It costs nothing to serve people with a warm and friendly approach, but its always worth it. Another worst and embarrassing part is greed. They ask for some money to buy a drink from customers. That's a shame!! Create a forum to report this in the airport immediately it happens. It's always nice to give money or a tip to someone as a token of appreciation but not when they literally ask for it. Please come and learn customer services at Heathrow London. This the best place to benchmark. Airport staff provide the highest standard of service i.e professional, friendly, knowledgeable, understanding of diverse cultures, mannerism. Absolute great service in London.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"Where is the customer service?"

Not Verified | This is the worst airport probably in the world! The staff are extremely rude and everyone has a nasty attitude. It’s disgusting, you actually dread passing through this airport because you are just drained by nasty, vile attitudes. Where is the customer service? They don’t even take time to explain anything to you and all of them speak in soft voices almost purposefully so you can ask them to repeat themselves while you look like an idiot. Disgusting, makes me not want to return ever to this country!
Date VisitDecember 2018

"the airport is an utter embarrassment"

Trip Verified | 1.5 hours late on my Internal flight on 2/11/18 resulting in me missing my long haul flight to Heathrow, BA ticket desk staff slow, rude, arrogant and utterly appalling, took them an incredible 50 minutes to arrange a flight the next day and an overnight hotel. When challenged I was subject to a barrage of verbal abuse “white privileged”, “who does he think he is” etc etc, whilst they sat gossiping whilst I was forced to wait. When I asked for directions to the hotel they refused to tell me, instructing me to ask the baggage office. The following day it got yet worse, my checked in bag could not be found, it eventually was but only after I had been passed from pillar to post, the check on staff telling me that another company was responsible and it was not their problem (the BA ticket desk staff have given me the wrong opening time of the baggage office). Whilst my experience was with staff wearing BA uniforms, essentially the problem is the ground staff at OR Tambo, they present as lazy, poorly trained and not caring whatsoever with regards the customer, one is left wondering how exactly they got their jobs in the first place, the airport is an utter embarrassment.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"airport experience wasn’t great"

Not Verified | Travelling from Port Elizabeth to Mauritius via Jo’burg airport. Had a three hour transfer wait. Personally found the layout a little confusing but navigated our way around. We wanted to have our vat receipts stamped so we could claim our vat back. Was told by info desk that we couldn’t do it there and would need travel into town. Low and behold we found the tax office on the second floor. Got that done and told where to collect. Eventually got that back and decided to go to a lounge. The staff where much friendly in there. Spent our time in a lounge then went through and caught our flight to Mauritius. The airport experience wasn’t a great one, apart from the business lounge we went in. Customer service and front of house seriously needs to be addressed. This is a visitors first experience of the capital city of SA. There was lots of private security organisations wearing paramilitary style camouflage uniforms just hanging around talking and not looking particularly useful. It doesn’t add to security or a good image. The passport control guy didn’t even look at us just gestured with his hands and never spoke.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"a poor way to welcome visitors"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | After a very long haul flight the customs arrival staff were the most unfriendly I've experienced in over 50 countries and more than 35 years of travel. No smile. No words even. Not even a grunt in my direction. Disgraceful. We then proceeded to domestic terminal and cold steel benches to sit on for 5+ hours between transit. Cold and uncomfortable just like the customs staff. Oh there were some old greasy chips next to where we sat. Hadn't been cleaned for at least a week. I did see plenty of cleaning staff walking around. Guess they didn't need to clean the area we sat in? What a poor way to welcome visitors to South Africa!
Date VisitJune 2018

"nowhere to sit and wait"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Dirty bathrooms, dirty floors, dirty seats and when you have to wait a couple of hours before you can check in your bags there is nowhere to sit and wait.
Date VisitMay 2018

"Worst airport waiting area"

Trip Verified | We arrived on KLM at 21.20. Our connecting flight to Durban was 0700 the next morning because Johannesburg does not fly planes to Durban after 9pm. We were shown to a waiting area to wait through the night. It was disgusting. The seats were cold metal benches and the area was at the pedestrian entrance and freezing cold. Worst airport waiting area in the world! We shivered for 10 hours!
Date VisitApril 2018

"the worst customer service"

Trip Verified | I booked my Etihad Airways ticket through Budget Air and received the ticket stating 1 piece of luggage was allowed weighing 40kgs. As one way tickets often allow a bigger allowance, I was very happy as this is quite a generous amount. I had been living in South Africa for 2 years and was emigrating to the UK; and as such, spent hours meticulously packing and re-packing to ensure I was able to fit in everything I needed whilst still meeting the weight requirement I was provided (as you can imagine fitting 2 years of living into a 40kg suitcase can be difficult). I then went off to the airport with my carefully packed suitcase and had it shrink wrapped (great service) for R80.00; and headed to check in. I had tried to check-in online and choose my seats, but the Etihad site kept crashing. When I explained this to the person at the start of the line, they directed me to the “bag check only” assisting staff member. When I explained this to her, she rolled her eyes and sighed. When she checked my passport she told me I hadn’t checked in, but she would still assist me. I put my suitcase on the conveyor and it weighed 34kgs. I was then told by her “your suitcase is too heavy, we have a policy of maximum 32kgs, I can’t accept your bag.” That was it, no apology, no sympathy nothing. I mentioned that my ticket stated I was allowed 1 piece of 40kgs; and she asked to take a look. She read the ticket, looked at me and said “you can talk to the manager if you want but I’m not accepting your bag.” Now to be clear, I have no issues with the requirement for a maximum weight. I understand that 40kgs is rather heavy and those processing the suitcases are required to pick them up etc. My issue was with the fact that I was not notified sooner; and that this ‘customer service representative’ was being so rude. Etihad Airways manager was no better, she pointed at the sign and said “there’s a 32kg limit, no exceptions.” No apology, no sympathy nothing. At this point I accepted my fate, I’d have to take off my R80.00 shrink wrap, remove some items, RE-WRAP and start again with check-in. Before I left however I wanted to find out how I (and other passengers) were meant to know of the weight restriction prior to checking-on (far too late). The managers response? “When you get to the check-in counter.” I stated to her that surely, case-in-point, this was too late to be informing people? She didn’t think so, she stated it was perfectly acceptable that people such as myself meticulously pack their bags, have them wrapped and then find out that it was too heavy at the counter. I don’t have an issue with the restriction but these women were so rude; and the manager even became aggressive when I was asking how I would have known about the restriction beforehand. This is the worst customer service I have ever received! I would give zero if I could, just based on that service.
Date VisitApril 2018

"immigration control you are a disgrace"

Not Verified | 9.30 Monday morning. A number of flights arrived at once. We were tight on time to catch a connecting flight, with a bit of help we would’ve been fine. But that didn’t happen. Oh no. Having asked for some assistance I was told by an arrogant official that he and the flights are not aligned and as such he doesn’t care what my problem is. The next person would have helped but “wasn’t allowed”. It took over an hour to get to the front. When we eventually did - 2/3 of the counters were open. The people dealing with overseas travellers visiting SA were slouched at their machines, disinterested and defiantly slow. It was disgraceful and no credit to my beautiful country of birth. Arrived at the carousel - one of our bags was missing. Thank goodness the BA official was helpful and the two (well tipped) airport porters who rushed us through the domestic terminal to screech, sweaty and fuming into the connection. SA immigration control you are a disgrace.
Date VisitMarch 2018