Johannesburg Airport

"unprofessional, rude staff"

(Cambodia)

Trip Verified | This is probably one of the worst airports I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing. Old decor, dirty, dark, with the worst employees. The security employees are rude and treat passengers like they are prisoners, shouting down orders without a please or a thank you. The immigration staff are grumpy and act like they are doing you a favour of letting you in their country even though you might be a tourist bringing in money . Staff working at different locations will not even give you directions when asked. Terrible airport made worse by the unprofessional, rude staff.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"a sense of shame and sadness"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | Every time I land at Johannesburg international arrivals and stand in the passport control queue, usually for between 45 minutes and an hour, I feel a sense of shame and sadness. Ashamed that we give our citizens such a shocking welcome home, we leave the first world and arrive in the third world every time. How hard is it to employ more staff who want to work and are prepared to smile? I pointed out to a staff member that the queue was so long people were unable to step off the escalator because the queue was up to the escalator. She didn’t even stop to listen to me, just gave me a death stare and walked past to the other passports queue which was surprisingly short for a change. Come on SA, make us excited and proud to come home.
Date VisitJune 2019

"staff are rude beyond words"

Trip Verified | For the international area, the staff are rude beyond words. A man dressed in Qatar Airways uniform talked to a colleague while checking me in and viewed me with a very contemptuous expression. I expect he is airport staff dressed in the airline's uniform since their customer service is usually so good. I'm sure he wouldn't last five minutes if he was directly employed by the airline or any Qatari company. Customs officials (apart from one) were lazy and unfriendly. Some just sat there without calling anyone over, others failed to greet customers and just talked to their colleagues while scanning and stamping passports. Highly unprofessional. Departures was much worse than arrivals for the bad attitude. One lady was very friendly and helpful in the wine shop in departures. She was the only one. Overall, the international departures section was probably the worst I have ever encountered. In the domestic area, staff were much friendlier and more helpful. Perhaps the airport should move these staff to the international area since its a good idea to welcome foreign visitors who bring so much money into the country and are vital to the economy.
Date VisitMay 2019

"the customer service is disgraceful" ** EDITED - ASKED TICKET

Not Verified | My wife and I were traveling through Johannesburg from Port Elizabeth on our way to Mauritius. We encountered a long delay of 11 hours due to a technical issue with the plane. This airport has to be the worst in the World for Customer Service. There are lots of staff working in every area of the airport (too many probably as they just talk amongst themselves and ignore the travelers!) and without exception the customer service is disgraceful. No manners, eye contact, please or thank you. No smiles and the staff don’t even open their mouths to speak, finding it easier just to point. We were going to come back next year and explore Cape Town but the experience at this airport has been so bad I don’t think we will ever visit South Africa again. Not a great way to encourage visitors and tourism!
Date VisitApril 2019

"I have yet to have a bad experience at JNB"

(Norway)

Not Verified | There is a lot of bad reviews of Johannesburg airport, and i might not have as many airports on my "list" as many of the users of this website, but I have yet to have a bad experience at JNB, maybe it`s my state of mind, I don`t know, maybe i have been lucky with arrival/depature-times. My travels through JNB has been a breeze. My last time in November I tranferred to Hoedspruit with another airline. Very quickly through immigration/passportcontrol, baggage was collected quickly. Picked up my SA simcard, very helpful ladies in the store setting it up in my phone. Checking in to next flight, and through security again, no problems. I find in general the people working at the airport to be helpful and positive. If I would want something to get better at JNB, it`s signs and directions would be great.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"improve staff training"

Not Verified | Please improve staff training, the quality of service is a disgrace, embarrassing and ill-mannered. Poor communication with customers, no greeting with a smile in the shops, when asking for help people don't open the mouth to talk, they just point. I even asked a lady at the Duty free shop for arrivals, why everyone is not responding verbally and give proper directions or answer nicely to customers. The whole airport a majority of people are the same. Staff in Passport check section can't even smile or greet customers upon arrival. They just take the passport and stamp without even saying hello. I understand you serve hundreds of customers per day, but the protocol of such a job requires a special welcoming approach. Foreigners are bringing money to the country and boosting the economy no need to be cold to them. I even asked one of the Officers why they don't greet customers let alone smile. He said according to SA culture, the person coming into the country must be the one greeting. Come on!!! we are in a modern world with diverse people and this requires adaptability when dealing with people. It costs nothing to serve people with a warm and friendly approach, but its always worth it. Another worst and embarrassing part is greed. They ask for some money to buy a drink from customers. That's a shame!! Create a forum to report this in the airport immediately it happens. It's always nice to give money or a tip to someone as a token of appreciation but not when they literally ask for it. Please come and learn customer services at Heathrow London. This the best place to benchmark. Airport staff provide the highest standard of service i.e professional, friendly, knowledgeable, understanding of diverse cultures, mannerism. Absolute great service in London.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"Where is the customer service?"

Not Verified | This is the worst airport probably in the world! The staff are extremely rude and everyone has a nasty attitude. It’s disgusting, you actually dread passing through this airport because you are just drained by nasty, vile attitudes. Where is the customer service? They don’t even take time to explain anything to you and all of them speak in soft voices almost purposefully so you can ask them to repeat themselves while you look like an idiot. Disgusting, makes me not want to return ever to this country!
Date VisitDecember 2018

"the airport is an utter embarrassment"

Trip Verified | 1.5 hours late on my Internal flight on 2/11/18 resulting in me missing my long haul flight to Heathrow, BA ticket desk staff slow, rude, arrogant and utterly appalling, took them an incredible 50 minutes to arrange a flight the next day and an overnight hotel. When challenged I was subject to a barrage of verbal abuse “white privileged”, “who does he think he is” etc etc, whilst they sat gossiping whilst I was forced to wait. When I asked for directions to the hotel they refused to tell me, instructing me to ask the baggage office. The following day it got yet worse, my checked in bag could not be found, it eventually was but only after I had been passed from pillar to post, the check on staff telling me that another company was responsible and it was not their problem (the BA ticket desk staff have given me the wrong opening time of the baggage office). Whilst my experience was with staff wearing BA uniforms, essentially the problem is the ground staff at OR Tambo, they present as lazy, poorly trained and not caring whatsoever with regards the customer, one is left wondering how exactly they got their jobs in the first place, the airport is an utter embarrassment.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"airport experience wasn’t great"

Not Verified | Travelling from Port Elizabeth to Mauritius via Jo’burg airport. Had a three hour transfer wait. Personally found the layout a little confusing but navigated our way around. We wanted to have our vat receipts stamped so we could claim our vat back. Was told by info desk that we couldn’t do it there and would need travel into town. Low and behold we found the tax office on the second floor. Got that done and told where to collect. Eventually got that back and decided to go to a lounge. The staff where much friendly in there. Spent our time in a lounge then went through and caught our flight to Mauritius. The airport experience wasn’t a great one, apart from the business lounge we went in. Customer service and front of house seriously needs to be addressed. This is a visitors first experience of the capital city of SA. There was lots of private security organisations wearing paramilitary style camouflage uniforms just hanging around talking and not looking particularly useful. It doesn’t add to security or a good image. The passport control guy didn’t even look at us just gestured with his hands and never spoke.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"a poor way to welcome visitors"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | After a very long haul flight the customs arrival staff were the most unfriendly I've experienced in over 50 countries and more than 35 years of travel. No smile. No words even. Not even a grunt in my direction. Disgraceful. We then proceeded to domestic terminal and cold steel benches to sit on for 5+ hours between transit. Cold and uncomfortable just like the customs staff. Oh there were some old greasy chips next to where we sat. Hadn't been cleaned for at least a week. I did see plenty of cleaning staff walking around. Guess they didn't need to clean the area we sat in? What a poor way to welcome visitors to South Africa!
Date VisitJune 2018