Johannesburg Airport

"The staff were so rude"

Not Verified | I had the worst experience at OR Tambo, I was with my four kids traveling back to Ireland from our holidays. The staff were so rude! They couldn't let us through as 2 of my kids have their father's surname but I am the sole parent and I had documentation for that and they didn't accept it telling me they need a consent letter from the father and all even though I'm their sole parent with documents to prove it! They were rude and had attitude towards me and my kids until my children got frustrated and started crying and shouting, they treated us very badly. OR Tambo has to improve with their staff so that their customer service improves. Fine I called their father in Ireland and asked him to write down consent he did and still they were just being nasty taking us back and forth until we missed our flight.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"more signs would be helpful"

Trip Verified | Older airport, not too large, yet sometimes long walkways. Airport structure is easy to understand, more signs would be helpful, but wayfinding is not too difficult. Staff were friendly. Security is high in check in area, with armed patrols. But actual security screening neither requires fluids nor tablets to be taken out.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"they seriously need to look at their passport control methods"

Not Verified | I think they seriously need to look at their passport control methods. I travel to South Africa every year to visit family and on arrival last week 2 members of staff were trying their best to cope with 4 plane loads of arrivals and today leaving there were only 4 on the one section. Maybe time for airports company to look at electronic style of passport control like other countries.

"needs more ambience"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | I would like to advise the airport to provide more alleviating music or sounds through the corridors of the intercalated arrivals. I found the space to be very mornay and needs more ambience and this will provide a happier mood and positive atmosphere. Instrumental music. I find this will be an attractive part of how people travelling from international destinations can gain more satisfaction disembarking from a long flight.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"staff were polite and helpful"

Trip Verified | Was really impressed by Johannesburg Airport, had previously read reviews before arriving and was quite nervous but it was absolutely perfect, staff were polite and helpful, so many shops to browse around. The only thing is you have to buy the plastic bag for your liquids in the bookstore for R2 beside security. Had no issues whatsoever with the airport.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"the worst airport experience"

(Mauritius)

Trip Verified | Travelling across so many countries, I came across the worst airport experience. Catching a flight of 1.55am was not at all easy experience at Tambo. Freezing cold! It was absolutely like waiting for a bus in the open air in the middle of the night. We use an airport to reach our destination in safe hands. It was a shame to have all those 200 passengers with babies left out in the cold. I request to do the needful for people using your airport.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"Security and Immigration was fine"

Not Verified | Went through OR Tambo airport three times in the course of a month. Contrary to what I have read here I really had no issues. Arrival initially into the country, immigration took maybe a half hour. Gentleman at gate asked why I was traveling, stamped and I was off. He smiled and was friendly. Customs, literally walked down a hall and a guy was leaning on a wall and I was done. Departed to fly to another African country three days later. Check in went fine, lady at Airlink was very friendly. Security and Immigration was fine, all together maybe 30 minutes total and nobody was unfriendly. Three weeks later departing to go back to the States. Same, no issues. At a pizza place while waiting, lady who waited on me was super friendly. Everybody in the shops, same. Boarding a large Boeing 777 for Atlanta, they had a system and it worked. No issues.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"will be avoiding Johannesburg in the future"

Trip Verified | Because I said I use this travel zip lock bag around the world - in relation to carrying liquids in a clear sealed bag, the security check staff at the gate said he wanted me to go buy another type of zip lock bag and come back. Literally he said “because you say you travel round the world, I’ll make you buy the right bag”. He took my items out of my bag and threw them on the floor. I then had to go to every shop to find someone who would sell me a zip lock bag - which ended up they sell big ones? I didn’t think this would be accepted as they gave to be less than 1 L. I was then ordered to join the back of the queue again. He then threw my items into the bag and said for me to go. The security employees were sneezing into their gloved hands then touching our items and bags. They were rude and treat passengers like they are poorly, shouting down orders without any notice. There was no order to embarking the aeroplane. The staff in the airport were grumpy, no pleasantries, most were watching YouTube on their computer or tv and didn’t want to serve you. Really will be avoiding Johannesburg in the future and likely South African airlines. Sad end to a good trip. Terrible airport with unprofessional, rude staff.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"Scammed at check in kiosk machine"

Not Verified | Scammed at check in kiosk machine inside terminal! Uniformed fellow said to use this machine yours is broken please. Use your credit card to check in. Machine grabbed card, guy disappeared! So canceled card right away on phone, summoned police officer. Unauthorized charges made. Credit card reversed charges later. Be careful!
Date VisitJuly 2019

"unprofessional, rude staff"

(Cambodia)

Trip Verified | This is probably one of the worst airports I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing. Old decor, dirty, dark, with the worst employees. The security employees are rude and treat passengers like they are prisoners, shouting down orders without a please or a thank you. The immigration staff are grumpy and act like they are doing you a favour of letting you in their country even though you might be a tourist bringing in money . Staff working at different locations will not even give you directions when asked. Terrible airport made worse by the unprofessional, rude staff.
Date VisitJuly 2019