Guangzhou Airport

Guangzhou Airport customer review

I transferred through Guangzhou when travelling to/from Australia and Europe. On the way to Europe they had us pass through a single-station security checkpoint and checked everyone very carefully and slowly which I felt was unnecessary and annoying. The lounge is OK. Notable things for me were that you need a credit card or $USD to buy things in the shops the food is expensive free drinking water was available but in high demand and available only in miniature cups (if you didn't have your own container). Having said that it wasn't too bad - I'd transit through there again.

(New Zealand)

By modern international standards a poor airport especially in the public 'comfort' areas. Where are the fast- food restaurants - not that I particularly enjoy this type of food but if you're in a hurry where can you go? In fact it might be a good idea if you were in a hurry because that way you spend less time there! Very little public seating is available. Where is the 'free' wi-fi - only if you have a Chinese Sim card. I'm not looking forward to the 8 hour layover I have in two days' time.

Guangzhou Airport customer review

The airport has that common architectural "airport" feel but compared to even mediocre airports in the United States this one fails on many levels. There is no Starbucks no wifi and no English magazines. I flew to Guangzhou from Incheon then from Guangzhou to LAX. 4 hour layover which turned into a 5 hour layover. I had a meal at one of the restaurants. $15 dollars for a plate of dumplings and a Chinese soda. Even though your computer or phone may pick up the "free airport wifi" you will quickly notice that it requires a username and password and that the "English" link on the log-in website doesn't work. The bathrooms were dirty and required going downstairs. The seats were cramped and uncomfortable.

(New Zealand)

My husband and I recently transferred from international to domestic at Guangzhou when flying from Vietnam to Beijing with China Southern Airlines without any troubles. We had read other travellers comments before arriving and once we got there found it hard to believe that people were talking about the same airport. We found everything to be very well laid out with clear sign-age in both Chinese and English as well as most of the staff being able to speak enough English to help point us in the right direction. We arrived with 4 other flights and more staff were immediately added to process all of the travellers so that we did not have very long and booking into our next flight at the transfer desk was fast efficient and friendly. Airport security is very rarely full of smiles so why would this airport be any different? Having said this the security personnel were very professional and courteous treating us better than other international airports I have travelled through. On a whole the airport is clean there are plenty of shops restrooms smoking rooms and eateries and it is easy to navigate; I wouldn't hesitate to travel through here again.

Guangzhou Airport customer review

I went through Guangzhou airport from Sydney with transfer to Kunming. It was an early flight so things went pretty smoothly. Although I flew China Southern business class China Southern does not allow the use of its facilities. The public toilets are not international level. Customs seemed ok but having read other reviews I allowed plenty of time and only had carry on luggage and my briefcase. There's only overpriced kiosk /shops that sell the usual soft drinks and Chinese snacks. I paid something like $8au for an ice drink/dessert frappe think.

(China)

Only ever used CAN for domestic travel for which it is ok. The good: direct bus service to many nearby cities; check-in and security check quite fast; very short walk after arrival to the baggage claim area and baggage arrives within minutes. The bad: terribly overpriced restaurants filthy toilets uncomfortable seats in the waiting area. Overall the quick check-in and security as well as baggage delivery (just) outweigh the negatives for me.

Guangzhou Airport customer review

Very very poor example of an international airport dirty unfriendly staff free wifi but only if you are Chinese. No ATM or money changer in the departure lounge so unless you have a credit card RMB or American dollars you can't do anything. Would not recommend this airport.

(South Korea)

After reading the horror tales of transferring flights in CAN the whole process of customs and screening to get to the international departures only took 25min. The process has obviously been streamlined there were 4 counters to handled the international transfers. A quick scan of the passport and a stamp is all it took. The biggest delay was the security screening as there was only one x-ray machine in use. In the international departures you can use a credit card if you spend more than 50 Yuan. However the food and drinks are over priced.

(China)

Even though it is more recent than Pudong Terminal A it is already falling apart. Today most of the escalators and moving walkways seemed to be out of order. This is the same as 2 months ago. The toilets are disgusting and filthy. Cars which in other countries are for transporting the disabled are here for rent and are driven at reckless speeds through the crowds. The queuing is bad at the best of times the number of checkpoints is too small. (Checking the old reviews I found that I had written a similar comment before in 2009 - seems that nothing ever changes at Guangzhou airport only that the equipment is now even more decrepit than in 2009).

(Taiwan)

This review is on the two international to international connections I had earlier this month. Transit Immigration: there are a whole jumble of lines with an unclear demarcation between transit and non-transit flows and no clear signage. Queue jumping/cutting is rampant. Security screening: Transiting passengers are funnelled into a single line for security screening. Only one metal detector/x-ray machine. Terminal looks nice on first sight but that's about it. This was the coldest terminal I have ever encountered. Despite promises of a "transit lounge" in the China Southern Airlines Magazine there is actually no such lounge (at least in the international side). It is nigh impossible for non-china customers to get an Internet connection. Decent number of shops but not much variety. There are only 3 eateries. Bathrooms were scarce and filthy. To top it all off nearly all of the customer service personnel were very rude. All in all falls far short of expectations as a supposedly "modern airport."