East Midlands Airport

East Midlands Airport customer review

Never used EMA before and approached with an open mind. First impressions not great - automated number plate recognition for per booked parking not working (no signs) and long stay car park a long way from terminal with no bus service and very poor surfaces making it tricky to push trolley. At one point during trek to Departures our cases fell from the trolley leaving my wife and kids temporally stranded on the zebra crossing - not really EMA's fault but was amazed as an airport Security car drove straight across crossing (steering around my young children) before we could recover. From this point things didn't get any better. Expensive food in departure lounge - served cold used chewing gum stuck to barriers dirty toilets. Could things get any worse for our return? Yes! We arrived back in the UK at around midnight to be confronted with a queue that extended some distance from the Security/immigration building. Here we stood with two freezing children for an hour and a half - much of the time without cover as it started to drizzle. No explanation or apology provided other than a rude and condescending response that "Immigration are not quick enough" when somebody within the queue had the audacity to ask why we were being asked to stand outside. Upon our eventual arrival to the baggage area our flight had been removed from the displays making it difficult to identify the correct conveyor belt. Upon locating bags (fortunately not ours) had fallen from the conveyor belt and were left to roll across airport floor. I've never even considered reviewing an airport before. As a relatively frequent traveller I've learned to accept the inevitable Security scrutiny and without exception (until now) found airport around the world to be operated efficiently and courteously. But the was not my experience with EMA and unless unavoidable I won't be returning.

East Midlands Airport customer review

If you knew when the peak hours were and could avoid them I'm sure that as some reviewers have said this airport would be nice and easy to 'walk through'. Between 4.45am and 7am in the morning however it is an absolute nightmare. Drop off point ridiculously congested checking in area a mess. Despite managing to check in with Ryanair well before the desks closed going through security was horrendous. Queued for an hour and a half to get through to security just in time to be denied entrance to the airplane along with about 20 others. There then followed another hour and a half in a queue at the service desk just to get transfers. Well done East Midlands and the security measures. Whilst I can appreciate we don't want any security issues the lack of information or assistance only added to the stress. I hope you enjoy your refit as we for one don't ever want to visit again. Life is too short. As the 'Recommend' button only has the option of Yes or No not 'Are you kidding?' then I will just have to put 'No'.

East Midlands Airport customer review

After reading the reviews on the internet whilst stuck in traffic I was panicking that we would get our flight. We eventually arrived at the airport parked in jet parks and the whole airport experience was great we sailed through check in no queues in security and staff were pleasant the airport seems to be having some work done at the moment but we managed to eat get magazines and the flight even left early I had no problems once we got to the airport.

East Midlands Airport customer review

The facilities here for collecting friends or colleagues upon arrival are a nightmare. You have a choice upon arrival of short stay or 10 minutes drop off. Threatening notices about £100 fines if you outstay your 10 minutes and no facility to pay with notes. You do have a choice of paying by card with a 150% surcharge of £1.50. I thought merchant costs were meant to be about 4% tops.
Queuing Times N/A
Terminal Cleanliness N/A

East Midlands Airport customer review

Truly the worst UK airport horrendous queues rude staff complete lack of customer service - how to ruin your business trip or holiday - 100s of people made to stand in a queue for an hour without being able to go to the toilet and rude staff claiming we are understaffed there is no one to deal with it! I dread using It and it is always as bad if not worse than the previous visit about time something was done about the check in and 50 minute queue for security. Sort it out East Midlands.

East Midlands Airport customer review

As we live only 10 minutes away East Midlands Airport has always been our first choice for short haul flights. However it is getting beyond a joke and our experience flying to and from Berlin last weekend has made me reluctant to use East Midlands in the future. The queues at check-in (albeit Ryanair) at 5.30 on Friday morning were huge the staff were rude and did not give any explanation of what the delay was about. Once though into departures there were no seats available and all retail outlets were very overcrowded - it was a 15 minute wait to get a cup of coffee. On our return late on Monday evening we had to queue for over 40 minutes to get through passport control and the bags were on a completely different carousel from that indicated on the TV screens. Finally we were told that the wait for our pre-booked taxi would be 30 minutes. Happily after I went into meltdown mode Arrow Cars managed to get us a cab within 15 minutes. The airport clearly cannot cope with the number of flights that is has contracted for and needs to take some action without delay or there will be a mass move to Birmingham.

East Midlands Airport customer review

Monday 2 June 6.30am - flying to Corfu. What has happened to the nice local airport that used to be East Midlands? The last time I flew from E. Midlands (admittedly some 10-15 years ago) it was a joy to use. Sadly not anymore. Absolutely heaving at 6.30am on a Monday morning with droves of passengers being herded through a cramped and crummy duty free area immediately after security into the pathetically inadequate seating areas. And upon return on 9th June the plane stopped some 30 yards from the terminal - so of course we all had to get on busses to be taken to the actual building. Really? I am aware that you have to keep outbound and inbound passengers apart but this is ridiculous. And as for passport control - somebody needs to improve the electronic passport gates or do away with them. This airport is no longer a joy to use - its only saving grace is that it is minutes from my home or I would not use it.

East Midlands Airport customer review

Horrendous experience with security yesterday. Massive queues people couldn't get through the automatic gates while the staff told passengers to move through the same blocked gates. Round the corner to find more queues and a security guard staring for 5+ minutes or more at the x-ray contents of 1 bag. I started to worry about just what he had found that was so dangerous it couldn't even be taken out of the machine to be manually checked. I thought that was what the system was all about. Meanwhile an elderly man was being subjected to a remarkably intimate search in front of a fascinated crowd. And then there's the confused signage impossible parking and general chaos at the Ryanair gates. I've been a regular user over the past 9 months but I really can't stick it any longer. Birmingham is better. Never thought I'd say that. EMA is best avoided unless you really have no alternative.

East Midlands Airport customer review

Me and my wife used the airport last week to fly to Ibiza. We found the security staff to be actually very friendly and a lot more helpful than staff at other near by airports I walked through and sounded the alarm on the metal detector and had to take my shoes off which I didn't mind because the staff asked nicely. I think half of the problem with the attitude report by some people about the security guards is that people probably go with the attitude to cause a problem. The departure lounge was good and the flight left on time.

East Midlands Airport customer review

We travelled from East Midlands to Murcia on Ryanair FR1924 departing 16.55 on Friday 11th April. We knew that traffic could be bad on Friday afternoons so booked the security express lane at a cost of £6 for the two of us. On arrival at 15.45 we had to join a queue in a temporary tunnel - which moved very slowly. When we reached the boarding pass desk situated below a sign saying "Express Lane" that was blocked. Staff member said they only have one lane. We joined the lengthy queue and eventually got to the gate at 16.32 (gate closure was 16.35). We watched another teenager who had inadvertently left something in a pocket that triggered the scanner alarm be treated with a similar attitude but with added obvious annoyance and eye rolling. My wife has had a similar attitude from security staff over the size of the liquids bag which she had carried on 3 other flights to and from USA. This is completely unacceptable but passengers have little time to complain there and then. Other passengers in the queue noted this indifferent hostile behaviour and said that it was typical for this airport. The express lane was sold to me a few days before the flight but we almost missed our flight because it didn't operate and security was so slow and inefficient. Surely the express lane is needed when alterations are being carried out causing extra delays? I realise that the express lane is no guarantee of getting through faster but it does reduce the stress of getting to the gate on time until the point when it is withdrawn and the staff at the airport have no idea what to do. We're flying from Birmingham in August and would not recommend East Midlands to anyone unless there is no alternative.