Delhi Airport

"transit system through terminal 3 is the worst"

Trip Verified | The transit system through terminal 3 is the worst I have ever experienced in 30 years of travel. Transiting passengers are told to sit in a transit lounge and wait by staff who seem to have no idea and no authority to do anything. My connecting flights was 8 hours away and I already had a boarding pass for the next flight. I was therefore expecting to be able to go direct into the departure area of Terminal 3. There were many other passengers who also had boarding passes but were also told to wait. We were repeatedly told that someone was coming for us from the airline of our next flight but don't be fooled, NO-ONE is coming for you. When I asked over many hours why no-one was coming I was told that I needed to contact my airline. I told them in no uncertain terms that it was their job to contact the airline as they are the transit desk. I figured that within 1-2 hours of my flight, the flight crew of my next flight would contact the transit desk to 'release me' or come and get me. When within an hour of my flight this did not happen I once again lined up at the transit desk where no-one served me (they avoid you). With 45 min to go, I walked up to a slightly more senior man and interrupted him from his call and basically gave him a massive dressing down and warned him that I was not missing my flight because of the incompetence of the transit desk. When he realised that I was 30min from missing my flight, he hastily stamped my boarding pass and let me through. I got to my gate with 2 min to spare and was the 3rd last passenger on the flight. On my return leg through Delhi, I was told to wait once again and my transit was 10 hours. This time I immediately told the junior staff that there was no way in hell I was spending 10 hours in their lounge without food and I made sure other passenger were informed of the absence of any system. I received a meaningless stamp on my boarding pass and was let through immediately to Terminal 3. An American traveller who also caused a scene was also let through. When I went through this second time, a lady was in tears at the counter because the staff were so unhelpful. Also the airport WIFI system is rubbish.
Date VisitJuly 2022

"baggage arrives before we reach the belt"

Trip Verified | This is for Terminal 2 domestic. Smaller among all three terminal, only Go air and Indigo operates, few aerobridge and more parking bay so more chance that will be taken by bus to the terminal. Not a long walking from bus drop to baggage to exit. Most baggage arrives before we reach the belt. Few food options, some chairs if have to wait, clean toilets. Multiple mode of transportation available from terminal and properly displayed. Avoid any one offering cheap transport to the city, take from authorised booking desk.
Date VisitAugust 2022

"Worst airport I've ever been to"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | I am a frequent traveler (I take at least one flight every month) and this is the worst airport I have ever encountered. The staff is rude, unprofessional, and just want to make your life difficult to show that they have power over you. My partner and I landed in the airport at 12am and were transiting until our next flight at 9am. We were taken straight into a transit hall and were told we could not leave until our airline representative arrived (at 4am). We were booked on business class so we thought we could use the business lounge for the whole duration of our transit, but they would not let us leave. The transit lounge has no food and barely any water. At 4am when the airline representative finally arrived, he told us that he could not give us our boarding passes because they had lost our checked-in bags. At this point we were wondering what this had to do with us - If *they* lost our bags, why are *we* the ones having to wait in this transit lounge until they found our bags? The boarding passes were even already printed (we saw them in his hands), the representative just did not want to hand them over to us and told us to wait "15 more mins" and kept saying that for the next 3 hours. Only after we had caused a scene at the transfer counter (some other passengers and I were screaming at them to do their jobs), then all the employees got on their feet and started making calls to find our bags. Before that nobody made any effort to look for our bags. We met many different people in the transit area and they all had similar experiences. Others had waited way longer than us - 9 hours, 12 hours, someone had waited 3 whole days (since there was no food, the airport staff only fed her once a day.) Another passenger in the transit area who had been waiting for hours said to one staff: "This is the worst airport and I will never transit here again" and he flat out said to her: "Because you said that, I will not help you." Yes, this came from an employee, who is literally being paid to help passengers. And yes, all the employees there had the same mentality. Not a single employee we encountered in Delhi Airport is anywhere close to being competent. I will never come back to Delhi Airport ever again, and I will be telling everyone I know not to come here as well. Worst airport I've ever been to.
Date VisitJuly 2022

"we met multiple people who missed their flights"

Trip Verified | My boyfriend and I had a transit through India. Upon arrival someone from the airport took us straight to a hall (without even asking if we had a tourist visa) and we had to give the details of our checked-in luggage. They would make sure our bags were on the next plane and give us a boarding pass. 3 hours went by and we had to enquire about our boarding passes multiple times. The people you had to talk to laughed at your face and denied help. Right before our plane left we got the boarding passes, but they lost one of our checked-in bags. I would not recommend to fly to, let alone transit through this airport, unless you want to miss your flight. While waiting there we met multiple people who missed their flights because of the "staff" who just did not feel like giving you a boarding pass (yes, they really said: "I don't want to help you").

"disastrous customer service"

(Finland)

Not Verified | I was travelling with my son and had a connecting flight from international to domestic in T3. The transit time was short. Considering the distance between gates, I requested assistance from the mobility services in the terminal. I was denied of service by no less than 3 of those which were ferrying around empty. I ended up running like hell and barely made my flight. I hope people do not travel through such ordeal and disastrous customer service!
Date VisitJune 2022

"not a good experience at all"

Trip Verified | From entry to check in to security to boarding its a mess, and bonus is lounge. This terminal had already crossed its maximum capacity and precovid building work of new T1 building started and till the new terminal is completed this old T1 will operate with reduced capacity still more than its reduced capacity as much area is closed for operation. When you reach the terminal 1st queue starts from entry gate, I can understand CISF checking of ticket and ID is for our safety but it should be little fast and smooth, many gates remains unmanned and long queue at operating gate. Then you enter and proceed to check in desk, this depends upon airlines but what I experienced in recent days there are hardly any support staff of airlines at check in area to manage crowd and many people were jumping queue at last moment. Then comes the most important (but unfortunately most mis managed) part which is security, very few check point operating with respect to crowd and very congested area to stand before, no chance of maintaining social distancing and after every few passenger have to call airport staff for tray, and bonus every fourth fifth person is so called late and have to jump the queue, sometime queue is so long that it can easily go till airline check in counter. After security anyone proceed to have some food at food court/stand alone restaurant or lounge or directly to boarding gate. Due to renovation food court is closed (saw they constructing new one at ground floor) so crowd at whatever places remains. There is only one lounge that is Encalm lounge ,the lounge itself is good but due to over crowding again expect a queue. After that time to board the flight and boarding area is another crowded area. Very few place to sit with respect to crowd also the airport consider it self as silent airport so no announcement, in this situation cant stay away far from gate even if no place to sit Wifi is just for name, to activate need OTP on mobile, for non Indian mobile it hardly come (but if by any chance get connected then can set pin number for next use, wont need otp, if not getting OTP then can get coupon from helpdesk but even after connecting no guarantee it would work. Only saving grace was toilets, good number and clean. Don't know what is the concept of silent airport ,there are lots of different sound through out the airport but can't do flight announcement. Overall not a good experience at all and not suggested until new terminal starts.
Date VisitMay 2022

"The airport is a nightmare"

Not Verified | The airport is a nightmare. The security staff are rude and extremely unorganised. Even with a sick child, they do not try to make it easier for you. They do not give you any information and you do not know what is happening. There is no wifi. Terrible experience after a long flight. Try to avoid this airport for transit if you can!
Date VisitJune 2022

"I was stuck in the T3 transit room for 5 hours"

(Finland)

Not Verified | Avoid this airport if transiting from an international flight to another. I landed Delhi at 5.20am after a long inter continental flight hoping to get a proper breakfast and rest. Instead I was stuck in the T3 transit room for 5 hours with no food and very little water. There are also no bathrooms close and no wifi. Also no customer service at all. I was told to wait for my connecting flight leaving Kathmandu (Air Vistara) at 2pm because I "had no boarding pass". I had a boarding pass I printed from where I left, in Helsinki. My bag was also checked in all the way to Kathmandu already. I think the staff are just not in a customer service kind of state of mind nor professionals. There were a lot of people who waited even longer than I. It was ridiculous and I'm so angry still to not to get this information anywhere. Note also that the airport website lies when it claims a "hassle-free transit experience".
Date VisitJune 2022

"The lounge and the shops area were too cold"

Not Verified | The lounge and the shops area were too cold. Feels like 22 degrees. Whereas the government itself says it should be around 26 degrees. The main halls are fine. Everything else is fine and maintained.
Date VisitJune 2022

"Never transit through Delhi"

Trip Verified | Never transit through Delhi. They have a ridiculous transfer desk system whereby the desk people cannot get you a boarding pass, you have to wait for an airline rep to happen upon you. They will not accept an e-boarding pass, must be paper. The transfer area has no food, water, or bathrooms. I had to wait 3.5hrs to finally get a boarding pass to move to security, which means I missed my connection. There were other groups of travelers stuck up to 6 hours in transfer purgatory. I finally called Air Canada in Montreal to ask if they could track down a rep to get me a boarding pass. Wifi doesn't work, you need a username and password which, while provided by airport staff, never connected.
Date VisitMay 2022