Delhi Airport

"immigration department ruining the image"

Not Verified | The immigration department here is ruining the image of the airport. I boarded my flight out of here as an international student. I was pretty excited to visit a new country and discover a new culture but just like everything else in India one government department is completely inefficient. The absolute worst part about travelling abroad as an Indian passenger is the amount of unnecessary questioning that you have to go through while departing from the country. Despite having a valid visa, the government person at the departure counter was rude and kept on asking me questions. Why this humiliation for no reason? This immigration department is not doing anyone a favor by annoying people like international students, etc for no reason, especially, when they already have received permission to travel from their respective embassy.
Date VisitJune 2019

"staff unhelpful answering simple questions"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Awful. Once entered was forbidden to leave building despite flight delay. Took a lot of walking and asking numerous people who all passed the buck to another person further away. Going round in circles. Hard work to do basic things, staff unhelpful answering simple questions and constantly being asking for passport and ticket instead of actually helping or answering simple questions. Had to ask several times for a security guard to return my passport and was ignore. Same man threw my wifes passport onto the desk away from us and had to lean round to retrieve it. Trolley collect even pushed a trolley into me and then turned away to ignore responsibility. No management happening at all. Once checked in things improved, security and customs very pleasant but then service in food court was rude and abrasive. Was given incorrect order and then blamed by staff despite showing receipt. Felt like we were being punished for being there. After trying to feedback in airport saw many discarded feedback forms waiting to be disposed of and gave in. Feedback machine as well did not respond. How on earth anyone thinks this behaviour is acceptable I do not know, no respect or basic decency. No problem with airport structure itself just the majority of employees.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"Check-in very slow"

Not Verified | Delhi Airport is one of the busiest airports in India. Check-in procedures are very slow which make passengers to wait for a long period. Security is good. Lounge facility is not that much good.
Date VisitApril 2019

"Immigration at least 30 min"

Not Verified | I flew from Dubai and had an onward Hyderabad flight. You have to clear customs and immigration, pick your baggage and switch terminals for onward flights. Immigration will take an Indian at least 30 min. OCI and foreign nationals can just walk through. People have missed connecting flights on this account. Do not depend on the airport for travel between terminals. There is one bus for a million passenger with heavy luggage. Go to prepaid taxi and book. Taxi drivers will grumble but insist. The connecting domestic flight will have a baggage allowance of 15kgs whereas for your Dubai flight it was 30 kg. Inform the check-in counter and prove that you have come by Dubai flight and they will increase baggage allowance to 30 kg.

"Terrible experience"

Trip Verified | Terrible experience. Once in, no out. Stranded 10 hrs at the check-in counter and not allowed to leave the airport (even though I did not stamp any exit). Security ignores IATA rules and are rude. Avoid airport at any cost. Total chaos.
Date VisitJune 2019

"chaotic and getting worse"

Not Verified | I recently traveled from Delhi airport and it was a nightmare. It is disorganized, chaotic and getting worse with time. The weakest link, in my opinion, is the immigration department at the airport. When departing from the country, there is always a massive queue for immigration formalities and the folks there just sit there without worrying and caring about the people. More ever, they take their sweet time and interrogate each and every departing passenger. 99/100 times they don't have any clue about what visas you're travelling with or the complex immigration laws of other countries and it's just an extremely frustrating experience to deal with these people. I don't really understand the need for interrogating people at the airport after they have gone through the gruelling process of obtaining their visas at the embassy. This also causes the lines to build up and often times no action is taken by anybody. It is really sad because the first time I travelled from Delhi in 2011, everything was organized, the staff were polite and even at the immigration, there weren't any long lines. The worst part is that if you tweet about your experience to the twitter handle of the airport, they just give you a generic email address of the immigration department for the so-called "feedback" obviously no one ever answers that email. I just hope that they read the review and at least try to ameliorate the situation a little bit so passengers can travel in peace.
Date VisitMay 2019

"Never seen such behaviour"

Trip Verified | GMR tries it's best to maintain an international standard but the problem is with the government departments especially immigration and security. Customs is, surprisingly, much better and professional. While going on 22nd May 2019 at 10.30 PM there was tremendous crowds. This is acceptable since holiday season. After 45 minutes reached immigration and a lady asked me why I have got the Shenghen Visa from Austria when our first port is Prague. I told her that our longest stay is in Austria and our travel agent has booked it. This lady wasted at least 10 minutes cross checking. Does she not know that these countries have a common Visa. I am 64 years old and I cursed her for the inconveniences caused to the people waiting in long line (silently of course). On return on 4th Jun our flight was delayed and landed at 2.40 am. There were no barriers and all passengers from a number of flights crowded. Younger people kept pushing us out of the line and rushing in front. After tolerating this for 45 minutes I shouted at the top of my voice requesting immigration office to intervene but no action. When I finally reached the immigration officer her was rude and told my wife to step back. Then he very rudely told me to step in front of the camera. Never seen such behaviour anywhere in the world.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"not showing any signs of improving"

Not Verified | Immigration and security staff do not treat you with respect. As a frequent traveler and an Indian citizen, I am not a stranger to surly immigration and security staff at Indian airports but it seems like that the situation is not showing any signs of improving. During my last visit outside India, I had to face a barrage of meaningless questions from the immigration officer at the departure counter. I understand that it is their job but at the same time departing passengers should be treated with at least a little bit of respect. Usually the immigration officers in India do not understand various immigration laws of different countries and can make your departure really uncomfortable as you need to recite all the immigration laws in front of them. At times they are horribly rude with passengers. Sarcastic remarks, tongue-in-cheek comments, etc are the norms. It is funny that most of this behaviour takes place when you're departing from India because when you're coming back in, there is never a problem. The security staff is the same. They would yell at anybody for any small reason. I have faced their anger many times as well during my departure. The food court is great, the infrastructure of the airport is awesome, most of it is well organized, however, the fact that many passengers aren't treated well by the immigration and security staff just ruins your whole experience of travelling overseas. This is the reason I am not going to rate this airport any more than 2/10.
Date VisitMarch 2019

21st June 2019 : Delhi Airport response

Dear Passenger, We sincerely regret for the unfortunate experience that you had during your last visit to Delhi Airport. Please be assured, your feedback was duly noted and conveyed to senior Immigration officials of the Government for corrective action. As an Airport Operator, we regularly provide Soft skill training to all the concerned Immigration and security staff deployed at IGI Airport. We assure you of our best services always.

"I will never visit again"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | I had the misfortune to visit the Delhi airport twice in April. I will never visit again. First of all, they forced us to wait when we left the plane, to be escorted to the security checkpoint. The signs were very clear, so why did they want us to wait? Like many have written before, the staff at the security are very rude and you feel like you bother them, just by showing up. India is a fast developing country, so it must be embarrasing for them to have an airport like Delhi. Only few restaurants, limited choices for shopping and annoying music most of the time. You only get 45 minutes of free wifi. And when you return to the airport 2 weeks later, you can't get another 45 minutes. Finally the staff at the toilets get upset when you don't tip them. Come on, they are just doing a very simple job. And not a very well done job anyway.
Date VisitApril 2019

"amount of noise pollution is mind boggling"

Trip Verified | The biggest problem with the airport is the non-stop blaring music! Funnily, the airport claims to be a "Silent" airport but the amount of noise pollution is mind boggling. I live in Bangalore and am actually frightened of passing through Delhi airport, especially if it is a longish wait. I believe this is unacceptable for a modern airport in the era of environmental awareness and should be stopped immediately. A different problem: the transfer between arrival and departure is serviced by a singly stuffy lift. It will be great if additional stairs or escalators can be added.
Date VisitMay 2019

20th May 2019 : Delhi Airport response

We sincerely regret for the unfortunate experience that you had during your last visit to Delhi Airport. To provide mild entertainment to passengers, we have deployed Radio Mirchi at Terminal -3. We will certainly take care the concern of volume that you have highlighted. On other note, the lift provided in transfer area is of a large capacity. Further, for passenger convenience, one lift each at Domestic and International side of arrival are available for transit passengers to reach Departure. Adjacent to these, escalators are also available for passenger use. We hope, this information will be useful for you & make your next journey smooth. Thank you for your feedback.