Xiamen Airlines

"comfortable seat on Boeing 787-82

Trip Verified | Singapore to Los Angeles via Xiamen. Enjoy when inside aircraft which clean and comfortable seat on Boeing 787-8. Plenty of food and drinks provided. The only problem when check in to the flight from Xiamen Airport to Singapore Changi Airport. Long queue as many other tour tourist line up. Ground handling spoil / damaged my baggage but Xiamen Airline replaced new baggage for me.
RouteSingapore to Los Angeles via Xiamen
Date FlownNovember 2018

"pair you with other travellers"

Trip Verified | Ho chi Minh to Los Angeles via Xiamen. Good flight. Check in fast and easy Boarding. Meals and services was good. Clean aircraft offer bottle of water and peanuts before meal services. Offer drinks entire the flights. Only things communications with cabin crew. If they know what you want they will help you. If not, they just ignore you. Transit in Xiamen they provide free hotels over 8 hours layover. If you are solo traveller try to pay extra because otherwise they will pair you with other travellers. You have to pay taxi.
AircraftBoeing 737 / 787
RouteHo chi Minh to Los Angeles via Xiamen
Date FlownMarch 2019

"not going use this airline again"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Denpasar via Xiamen. It was pretty clean cabin. I didn't like food at all. I am vegetarian, and system didn't allowed me to choose my food preference, when I called the company (24 prior my flight), they said it is too late. Also, system didn't let me to check in, I had to check in in the airport. What I hate most is on my way back to the States, I had go pro camera in my suitcase, which was stolen. I'm not going use this airline again.
RouteLos Angeles to Denpasar via Xiamen
Date FlownDecember 2018

"everything normal and fine"

(China)

Trip Verified | Dalian to Hong Kong via Fuzhou. The flights were both short, normal food, everything are normal and fine. The things I really appreciately are the transit service and cabin service for Skyteam ElitePlus members. From Dalian to Hong Kong there is no directly flight, but connecting with Xiamen airline with international flight, they offer free transit hotel if the flights are on a different day with 24 hours gap. The flight attendants come to say greetings to me, with a small water and newspaper.
RouteDalian to Hong Kong via Fuzhou
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"Legroom is comfortable"

(Vietnam)

Trip Verified | Xiamen to Ho Chi Minh. Great flight with cheap ticket. Legroom is comfortable, food is good and cabin crew is superb. Our flight is 252 usd for return flight from HCM to Shanghai via Xiamen Airport.
RouteXiamen to Ho Chi Minh
Date FlownJanuary 2019

"last time we travel with Xiamen"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Shanghai via Fuzhou. While at Fuzhou, we were late at check in and was not allow to fly and miss the Fuzhou to Shanghai leg. Customer service at the airport did nothing to help except to tell us that the entire return ticket was invalid due to airline policy. We wrote to Xiamen airline to seek help to reinstate ticket and they take more than 3 days to reply and suggest we try our luck at the airport. Subsequently, we wechat Xiamen staff in china and was told that our flight is normal and we can check in. On the day, at Shanghai airport, we were told we were not allow to board. Overall, unhelpful and inefficient ground staff and confusing messages make this the last time we will travel with Xiamen air.
RouteSingapore to Shanghai via Fuzhou
Date FlownDecember 2018

"they are a 3rd rate airline"

Not Verified | Seattle to Manila via Xiamen. My wife and I planned a trip to the Philippines from Seattle and decided upon Xiamen Airlines Business Class. The routing was Seattle, Shenzen, Xiamen and Manila. We traveled late October 2018. The seating configuration in the Boeing 787, Business Class was 2-2-2. The seats were lay flat for sleeping, but unfortunately were leatherette covered which meant one would slide forward when seated upright due to the slippery covering. Lunch was served and I chose duck. This was the consistency of rubber and virtually inedible. The 12.5 hour flight was uneventful, however during this time the cabin staff barely checked on us. When they did, there was a distinct language problem. We couldn't understand them and they couldn't understand us! One would think when one is on a international flight a common understandable language should be used. When we arrived at Shenzen we had a layover of 2 hours during which time we had to clear Chinese Customs and Immigration. After this we had to wait in a departure lounge without being told anything about our next flight leg. There were about 12 onward passengers waiting for the next leg. Eventually we were told our boarding gate and ETD. The flight to Xiamen was around 1 hour. After arrival we had to pick up our luggage and we went to the Xiamen Airlines counter to get a hotel voucher as we had 20 hour layover. Xiamen Airlines to not have a hotel bus or any means to transport us to the hotel. We had to change money to get a taxi. This was an effort in its own right. We did leave some of our baggage at the left luggage office at the airport, which helped. The next day we caught a taxi back to the airport. We go through security on entry to the airport before checking in for our flight to Manila. I should mention that boarding to Manila like the short leg for Shenzen was chaos. No boarding by class or seating, just go for it! Service on board was almost like a domestic flight, again a language problem. We arrive in Manila after almost 36 hours after leaving Seattle. It was nice to experience the friendliness of Philippine Customs and Immigration. The return from Manila to Seattle every bit as bad as when we arrived late (11:30pm) in Xiamen we had to clear customs and immigration and by the time that happened it was around 2am banks were closed and we had now money for a taxi to the hotel we finally change $20 with a Xiamen Airline staff member and got to the hotel around 2:30 am. We were again routed via Shenzen and had to go through immigration and carry ALL bags through security. The flight back was slightly better, but there was still the language barrier. All in all the Xiamen Airlines experience was poor. The airline should make sure the cabin staff have sufficient English to carry out a basic conversation. The airline should upgrade all staff to a level of what is expected from a good international airline. At the moment they are a 3rd rate airline.
RouteSeattle to Manila via Xiamen

"at a very cheap price"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Vancouver via Xiamen. Note that my rating here is for XMN-YVR, not considering SIN-XMN, and not taking into account the visa issues at XMN. If you are not a holder of one of the 53 countries' passports that qualify for visa exemption by the Chinese government, then you need to apply for a visa before flying. XMN does not offer visa services at the airport. The main reason for the need of a visa is, XMN does not have a usual transit arrangement, which usually doesn't require you to go through immigration. At XMN, in order to transit, you have to go through immigration, which means you are entering China and then leaving China officially, just to transit between flights. This is why people transiting with passports that do not qualify for visa exemption have to apply for visa. If you are unsure, please make sure you email your local Xiamen Air representatives to check. Regarding SIN-XMN, it was below average. It was an older aircraft, without individual IFE system. The stewardesses were willing to help and respond to demands, but they were typically brisk and curt with their responses. Food was okay, not remarkable. XMN-YVR was excellent. The economy seat was comfortable, and leg room was good. Food was excellent and more than sufficient. In fact, the stewardesses made rounds between meals to ask if people wanted snacks, like bread rolls, sandwiches, or peanuts. The stewardesses were very friendly and approachable, very willing to help the passengers. It is unfortunate that their command of the English language is below average, but if you speak Mandarin, then you are fine. All in, it was an excellent flight at a very cheap price. I think, if you are travelling on Xiamen Air's Boeing 787, then there is a good chance that your flight will be a very good one. But if you are travelling on Xiamen Air's older aircraft, then you may not get to experience the better side of the airline. Finally, there is no online check-in services for international flights for Xiamen Air. You can choose your seats only if you spend some money. Otherwise, you have to request for your seat at the counter at the airport. So, if you want to choose your seats, either pay for it, or go to the airport and check in early (I went 2.5hr before flight) to get the seats that you want.
AircraftBoeing 737-800 / 787-8
RouteSingapore to Vancouver via Xiamen

"tasty Chinese food"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Kuala Lumpur to Xiamen. The aircraft offers basic comfort and only overhead entertainment. I was impressed by the crew service - they were polite to the elderly folks onboard, checking on them and offering them blanket and pillow. The food is very local and tasty Chinese food, which I enjoyed. I will fly Xiamen Airlines again.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Xiamen
Date FlownNovember 2018

"impressed by this airline"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Wuyishan. It's a leisure trip to visit the homeland of tea: Wuyishan, Fujian province. Xiamen Airlines does a twice weekly direct flight from Hong Kong. They deploy a small 737 aircraft. Similar to Malaysia airlines when using this small aircraft, 4 cabin crew work tirelessly to keep the journey smooth and comfortable. With one aisle and 3x3 seating, the pitch is quite comfortable. A simple hot meal (in the style of a bento box) is served, and is sufficient for a short 90 minutes journey. 2 rounds of drinks is a nice touch. Seat has no power outlet or personal, we were provided visual entertainment in the form of overhead TV, with mainly Chinese program. Luckily, since January, mobile phones in flight mode are now allowed to be used on board. So you can still listen to your favourite music, or watch your own videos etc., on your phone or tablets. That really help kill time. If there is one complaint, it's the excessively warm cabin temperature. I am impressed by this airline. I wouldn't mind trying them for long haul flights in future.
RouteHong Kong to Wuyishan