British Airways

"Awful, rude airline"

Trip Verified | Toulouse to London. I'm a able bodied, fit BA customer and Silver member and was seated at an Emergency Exit seat. I'd put away all items and had fastened my seatbelt in full compliance of regultions. A cabin crew member, came to my row to point out the security exit and safety card and I was listening to him and responding, despite this he ordered me to take out my cabin pressure equalizers, which he called earplugs. I explained to him that I needed to keep them on to protect my ears as the doors were already closed and I can suffer from ear problems when I fly. I told him I could hear him perfectly, as demonstrated by our vocal exchange. Despite this, he kept talking over me and threatened to remove me from my seat should I fail to follow his order. After I begrudgingly took them off, he once again ordered me to do it or be removed from my seat and I pointed out I already had! I then asked to speak to the purser, who came to see me after take off. I told him his cabin crew member was unnecessarily rude and needed Customer Care training or indeed to look for a new job. I wrote in to British Airways with my complaint, but they have not even bothered to respond. Awful, rude airline.
RouteToulouse to London
Date FlownNovember 2019

"Seats the same as economy"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | London Heathrow to Stockholm. Business class short-haul is what it is. Seats are the same as in economy but with no one sitting in the middle seat. But you get served drinks and food. Proper gin for the G&T and good food.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Stockholm
Date FlownNovember 2019

"we had limited recline seats seats"

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to London. We had limited recline seats on an 11 hour overnight flight. At checked in we asked and were told we had good seats. Completed a complaint and asked why BA thought this was ok, how come their representatives are allowed to lie. Never flying BA again.
RouteJohannesburg to London

"Overall a good flight"

Trip Verified | Johannesburg to London. The recently refurbished First and Club World lounge at JNB has failed to resolve the congestion when passengers from the two evening flights to LHR descend on it. There's more table space for eating and the food has improved, but poor acoustics mean intrusion on privacy. Crying babies and facetime calls add to the restless maelstrom of human activity. Boarding was reasonably quick although there was the usual confusion about group queues. The predominantly young, mixed fleet crew were competent but lacked finesse and kept on getting drinks orders muddled. The meal service took ages because of some unidentified problem with heating the main course. The food itself wasn't at all bad - when it was finally served. The cabin temperature wasn't too hot and we both slept quite well. Arrival was ten minutes ahead of schedule and baggage collection was quick. Overall, a good flight despite the aged Club World product.
RouteJohannesburg to London
Date FlownDecember 2019

"crew are so friendly"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | London Heathrow to Miami. Flying the Boeing 747-400. Unfortunately BA hasn't done much work on their first class on these aircraft. Seats are flat bed but you have that wedge in the front that even for my 6'1" makes the beds small. And since it's so narrow your feet get clamped if you sleep on your side. These seats are Business class on for example Qatar Airways. And I still think a first class ticket should include WiFi! But as always the service excel and the crew are so friendly and helpful. Meals are impeccable.
Seat TypeFirst Class
RouteLondon Heathrow to Miami

"excellent with service"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Stockholm to London Heathrow. As always BA works excellent with service. On the ground and in the air. They still have a good gin aboard for a decent G&T and even if the meals in Business looks like the came from the 90's economy they taste great.
RouteStockholm to London Heathrow
Date FlownNovember 2019

"cabin crew where fantastic"

Not Verified | London to Sydney via Singapore. Flight left on time cabin crew where fantastic. Meals were great. Leaving London we had a chicken stir fry and landing into Singapore at 18:00 we were served an English breakfast which I can eat any time of day but wife thought it was a bit odd. At Singapore, all passengers had to disembark the aircraft while it was refuelled and clean. When re-boarding you had to go through a security check at the gate. We were on the ground in Singapore for 1hour 30min. 2nd leg to Sydney was great also food and drink service was great again. 23 hours long haul flight was comfortable. We had exit row seating for entire flight which I recommend to anyone over 6ft tall.
RouteLondon to Sydney via Singapore

"utter nightmares"

Trip Verified | London to New York JFK. We were booked on Brussels Airlines, two of us, which cancelled the flight and rerouted us on BA. The flight BRU to London was fine but the transatlantic leg and Heathrow Airport Terminal 5 were utter nightmares. Never again will I go to or through Heathrow. However, this review is about BA's 747-400 to JFK an aircraft that was in such a sorry state that it should have been junked years ago. How does BA have the gall to call its service "business class"? The seats were tiny and wrapped in plastic chicken coop partitions that rattled and even fell down on several occasions. Let me add that we faced backwards and looked at a filthy wall. Cabin service was friendly and the food was actually quite decent. Aside from that, I now understand why BA has such a horrendous and well-deserved reputation. Never again.
RouteLondon to New York JFK

"the shortage of staff"

Trip Verified | The first thing is the shortage of staff. The business cabin is quite large and eight across and seem to be serviced by one or two people each side. It meant that the drink after takeoff did not appear for an hour after the order was taken. Unfortunately although they were pleasant, the staff were not up to the mark and appeared very undertrained. I asked a young man to turn on the reading light and he claimed there weren't any. I showed him the one by my seat and after fiddling with it he said it must be broken. At the end of the flight I discovered the switch. Despite being a newly configured plane the dividing screen kept dropping. I had to ask for a cup of tea 3 times. There was only a choice of two reds and two white wines and considering the number of people in the business section I cannot understand why they would not offer a third. There was Port on the menu but was never offered with cheese. Every time the next course came out the setting was not ready to accept it due to plates and glasses from previous course. Many people had clutter uncleared for an hour after end of meal. Most of the courses were quite small portions and by the end of the meal I was ready for a mini snack. I am not a big eater but I was peckish. The layout of the business cabin is cramped. I am 6' and I could not stretch out. The seats and legroom are extremely narrow and people in the centre two rows and the window seats have to climb over other passengers. This means no one has a easy seat. You either have to climb or be climbed over. I wonder how they can expect such a bad design to be accepted in the business market. I travel on many airlines in business and BA is still the bottom of the pile and reluctantly the last one I would use. The centre and window seats have their food and drinks served effectively through the service hatch across other customers. Unfortunately, upon arrival at Bridgetown the BA team didn't get any better. After one hour 25 minutes of waiting for my fast tracked luggage I approached a guy wearing a BA tabard and he just shrugged his shoulders. I then found another guy who worked for the ground staff and he went outside and found about 25 cases sitting by the tarmac doing nothing.
RouteGatwick to Bridgetown
Date FlownDecember 2019

"lacks personalized attention"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Brussels to Bangkok via London. Club World from London to Bangkok on 17 Nov 2019, seats 15C and 15D. It was a Boeing 777, with a 2-4-2 seat configuration in the business cabin, which gives the cabin a crowded impression. The seats are comfortable, with a flat bed (+mattress!), good selection of entertainment, although a rather small screen. The food menu offers different choices of starters, main course and desserts. The food was disappointing, I had smoked salmon as a starter, and British Beef as main course. My soup was cold, mybeef was overcooked) and quantity was economy class-like. The service is very friendly, but not personal. I’m used to be adressed by my name when I fly business class. While serving the meals, they forget serving me wine. The amount of cabin crew is not enough for a crowded business class cabin. After dinner I went to sleep. The seat is turned into a real bed, with an extra mattress and a good pillow. The space is narrow, it is difficult to make the bed. Once the bed is made, there is no place to put personal stuff. I had a real good night of sleep though. If your seat is not at the aisle, you have to step over someones legs to go to the toilet. The toilets are small and simple, not cleaned frequently enough. When I woke up, breakfast service was running. The breakfast is good. Yoghurt, pastries, fresh fruit, and a full English Breakfast. Overall, British Airways World Club is a rather standard Business Class, lacks personalized attention and lacks the feel good experience. If BA wants to compete, they have a long way to go. I hope they can make it up a bit on our return flight.
RouteBrussels to Bangkok via London

British Airways Photos

British Airways is the flag carrier of the United Kingdom, with its main hub being at London Heathrow Airport where it operates from Terminal 5 and Terminal 3. The airline also has substantial operations from Gatwick Airport. British Airways is a member of Onweworld alliance, and part of International Airlines Group (IAG).

FIRST CLASS

British Airways offers First Class on many long haul routes operated by widebody aircraft (Boeing 747-400, Boeing 777, Boeing 787 and the A380). Most aircraft have 14 flat-bed seats in First Class, and 8 seats on the Boeing 787-9.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

Branded as Club World for long haul and Club Europe for short haul services, British Airways was one of the pioneers of flat bed seats in long haul business class. The product is overdue an upgrade, with the seat layout on a Boeing 777 being 8-across in contrast to the more standard 4-across layout. British Airways Club Europe cabin uses a standard Economy class seat, with the middle of each 3-across section left empty. British Airways charges business class customers to reserve seats for both long haul and short haul flights..

LONG HAUL

In-seat &/or USB power
Inflight entertainment
DiningComplimentary meal / snack

PREMIUM ECONOMY

British Airways offers a premium economy cabin on their long haul / widebody aircraft, branded as World Traveller Plus. With the exception of the larger seat, the onboard service and product varies little to the standard long haul Economy class.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 38 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 18.5 ins
power_iconUSB power
DiningComplimentary meal
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillow / blanket

ECONOMY CLASS

British Airways has been reducing economy class standards recently and now charge for all food and beverages on short haul services. Further cuts are expected to their long haul product standards. The cabins are branded as World Traveller for long haul, and EuroTraveller for short haul.

LONG HAUL