Air China

"crew were cold and abrupt"

Trip Verified | Newark to Mumbai via Beijing. The seats are small. On one flight if you had empty seats next to you , you couldn't move the arm rest to recline. Most of the crew were cold and abrupt. It seemed if I asked for something I was bothering them. You would think the food would be good. It wasn't, no frills. Cheap cold sandwiches, and rice and meat, with seaweed and imitation fish? I was seated next to a male that wanted to flirt it seemed. Since I was very uninterested, he just leaned and leered the whole flight instead. I moved to the 2 empty seats next to me, and a stewardess can over and told me the seats were for the crew, which they didn't use. Halfway through the 13hr flight a couple attempts to use the seats. They saw me alert the flight attendant, and then change their story saying she was sick. She was allowed to stay there, which was rubbish. On my first leg of me trip I had to stand for most of my 13hr flight. The price was good, and you get what you pay for! Next time I will afford better.
RouteNewark to Mumbai via Beijing
Date FlownDecember 2019

"one of the nicer flights"

Trip Verified | Beijing to Phnom Penh return on an A321. The flight pushed back 10 minutes ahead of schedule. This was one of the nicer flights I've experienced on a narrow-body. First a few negatives - This is an old style Business Class seat (2x2) with no seat back monitors - just the overhead drop down TV which was useless, despite headphones supplied. Safety announcements were made by one crew member reading out from her note book (turning the pages swiftly) and the other demonstrating. However, the seat was comfortable with plenty of leg room. The cabin crew were just fantastic. Slippers were opened and handed to each passenger and informed of the flight time and seemed genuinely happy to serve. Hot towels were provided on boarding followed by a welcome fruit cocktail. I was then offered a second drink of Champagne. Drinks menus were handed out but no food menu. It was a choice of Western or Chinese main course and I opted for the Chinese meal. I was then offered a choice of drinks from the bar (a single malt whisky for me), and Chinese White Wine to go with the food. 20 minutes into the flight the bar service began. Dinner was served and the main fish course was very tasty. I was able to taste the wine first before pouring the rest. Again, refills followed. The desert was a strange cake like thing which I was not keen on. Later it was coffee and Cognac, and more refills followed! After the meal, I asked if I could keep the nice red chopsticks. They took the used ones away and returned with an unopened pair plus a souvenir Panda gift. As it was a night flight, the cabin was dimmed, but the crew checked on the passengers if there was anything else we wanted. During the 5 hour flight despite the little recline on the seat, I was able to nod off to about an hour. On the return flight, which also left on time, a Chinese breakfast was served with Dim Sum and Congee - very tasty. Even though the hard product was out of date, the cabin crew were pleasant and engaging.
RoutePhnom Penh to Beijing

Air China customer review

Trip Verified | London to Beijing return. Boarding was smooth and on time. I was welcomed and shown to my window seat. These are the old style (2x2x2), with the window seat having no direct aisle access. The small fixed partition between the seats offered a little privacy, but only when full flat. The seat itself was very comfortable and the adjustments were easy to operate. Following a welcome Champagne drink and hot towel, the menus were handed out. The announcements included a clear warning/advise for passenger behaviour on board. The cabin was half full. While taxing, a crew member came to take my dinner order. Although there was a choice of three main courses, I was told they had only one choice for dinner and breakfast left! For dinner, small appetisers were served, followed by a seafood starter, salad and hot breads. The main fish course was OK but a little bland. However, a desert trolley came along and I was able to choose what I liked, and settled for cheese/crackers and ice cream. Plenty to eat, but not that great. The wine served was good, and topped up several times, before coffee and cognac. One of the crew came to apologise for the lack of choice in the food, but it was not a major issue. What impressed me was the smiling and attentive attitude of the crew. I have read negative reviews about Air China complaining about the lack of English spoken. But for me, that is the charm of communicating with others who may not be so perfect in other languages. I really enjoyed my flight, especially the friendly cabin crew. A large pillow and thick blanket was provided for sleeping. The IFE was not fantastic, with a very limited number of English movies. The L'Occitane amenity kit was also basic. On the 10 hour flight, I managed about 4 hours sleep. On my return flight, the sound quality of the announcements was poor, and I could hardly understand a word spoken. Yet it didn't deter me from enjoying a relaxing time. Considering Air China's low pricing in Business Class, I would fly them again. Lovely cabin crew and comfortable seat, overcame the minor shortcomings.
RouteLondon to Beijing
Date FlownDecember 2019

"does not have personal IFE"

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Beijing. The ground handling and boarding process wasn't the smoothest - the flight was delayed, and Air China tends to operate out of remote terminal boarding gates which require a shuttle ride or extensive walking times. Everything was fine once we were airborne. The staff were attentive and the seats offered a reasonable amount of legroom, even though they seemed narrower than usual. The Air China A321 does not have personal IFE, they still use the archaic communal IFE systems. Food was average at best. Keep your expectations in line with prices paid, and you should be fine.
RouteHong Kong to Beijing
Date FlownJuly 2019

"Terrible experience"

Not Verified | Rome to Sydney via Beijing. Terrible experience with the unprofessional behaviour with my child who traveled as an unaccompanied minor. After being told our child would be looked after in the Beijing airport we discovered he was made to sit in an office on an office chair for hours on end with no assistance or food. We had booked a lounge and it was not offered. The level of supervision was atrocious. He was let out with an unknown passenger who offered food and water. We will never deal with this airline again. They continue to deny any lack of duty of care towards the child.
RouteRome to Sydney via Beijing
Date FlownJuly 2019

"Lady at counter extremely unhelpful"

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Singapore via Beijing with Air China. Ridiculous Airline. 1) Flight delayed. Technical issues. Lady at counter extremely unhelpful. I am risking my connection flight from Beijing. 2) My food options not updated so I will go hungry. 3) No checks for business vs economy class. 4) Made everyone wait for 40 minutes before opening boarding gates. Dont rely on the time they provide on the boarding pass. For 11.55 flight, they opened boarding gates at 10.50! 5. Unhygienic toilets. Not cleaned even after asking. 6) Soap missing from toilet.
RouteShanghai to Singapore via Beijing
Date FlownDecember 2019

"Stay away from this airline"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Tokyo via Beijing. First and foremost, the service received was incredibly poor. As our flight date came closer, we began double checking our flight information before we realized our seats were not listed on our tickets. This was an issue as I purposely paid extra to choose seats so we could of course sit together. After hours of being on hold trying to reach customer service via phone, it ended up being a waste of time as the line just disconnects. We decided to deal with it in person as we could never get a hold of a customer service rep. via phone. But low and behold, after arriving to our terminal gate, our seats were mixed up and we were seated separately. The rest of the ride is downhill from here. Need I say more, do not take your chances and be persuaded by the ticket prices and flight times. Stay away from this airline and pay more for more popular airlines.
RouteLos Angeles to Tokyo via Beijing
Date FlownDecember 2019

"flight departed and arrived on-time"

Trip Verified | Air China canceled my flight, which was the only nonstop flight between Beijing and Datong, without any particular reason and re-booked me on the same flight the following day, so I had to cut back my itinerary in Datong. I arrived at Beijing Capital Airport very early in the morning (much earlier than recommended by my Beijing hotel concierge) to find that the terminal check-in area was super crowded. Many customers looked very confused about self-check-in as ones were required to print boarding passes at check-in kiosks, and then to repeat the same process to print luggage tags at the bag drop area. I was able to print my boarding pass but the luggage tag machine could not read my passport, and no staff was found for help. After roughly one hour running around, I finally found a special check-in area tucked away on the other side of the terminal where I could check my luggage and rushed to make my flight. In-flight staff were nice, but there was no IFE. Despite all of the above, I still recommend the airlines as my flight departed and arrived on-time. Also, this was not the first time I use Air China, and my experience was that their pilots consistently executed very smooth take-offs and landings.
RouteBeijing to Datong
Date FlownOctober 2019

"Food is substandard"

(Denmark)

Trip Verified | Copenhagen to Tokyo via Beijing. Food from the catering services in Beijing is substandard. Entertainment system quite dated and not working well. Lots of mechanical noise in the cabin. Lastly, the selection of refreshments in the business lounge in Beijing is rather poor.
AircraftA330-200
RouteCopenhagen to Tokyo via Beijing
Date FlownNovember 2019

"no Premium Economy on this flight"

Trip Verified | Beijing to San Francisco. I buy a Premium Economy ticket. On the return flight from Beijing to SFO they print my boarding pass and arriving on board I realize this is coach. I inquire and they say "no Premium Economy on this flight", I presume they changed the equipment. I call Air China to obtain a refund of the price difference. Now they say "You have to call Beijing". They have my flight coupons and itinerary. What else do they need? This is an example in "how to make it difficult for a customer to obtain a legitimate refund" It's a shame as the flight itself was not disastrous.
RouteBeijing to San Francisco