top100_2016

Virgin Australia

Seat Reviews

Viewing TV 12345

"made the journey a delight"

Sans kids on our most recent flight, we decided to upgrade our SYD-LAX return tickets from Economy to Premium Economy Saver fares. Arriving at the Premium Economy check in was a breeze. There was no line and the next Business Class window called us over and processed our documentation. Priority boarding alongside Business Class passengers was wonderful - the FA's call you by name and introduce themselves personally. You are offered champagne, juice or water while the plane loads, then your dinner preference is taken. Our 12J/K seats were a private retreat and we loved being amongst the first to disembark at LAX. Seats were wider, the comfy blankets and a 38" pitch made the journey a delight. Larger IFE screen, amenity kit and a feeling of reasonable indulgence was our first impression. At over $6k it was probably way more than people would justify - but to us - it was a 14 hour extension of our holiday. The 2 (smallish) dedicated PE restrooms were mostly available throughout the flight, but they were clean which was a huge bonus. Return leg was uneventful, but I hated the middle row of four seats and made sure we booked next year's flights well in advance to get window seats. We didn't hesitate to choose Virgin Australia Premium Economy again, the newer 24 seat configuration and 41" pitch will be something to get excited about.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 777-300
Date FlownNovember 2015
Power Supply 12345
Seat Storage 12345

"most miserable airline seats"

Brisbane to Dunedin. Been looking forward to it for weeks. The unfriendly and irritable check-in agent changed our already-booked seat numbers (which we had chosen with some consideration) without even telling us - surprise, and I was shocked that my friend had to pay over $100AUD to have his single 6 kg bag checked! Then we scrunched in for three hours in the smallest, narrowest, most miserable airline seats. The flight attendant got all defensive and huffy when I tactfully pointed out an adult passenger ignoring the fasten seatbelt during heavy turbulence. His seatbelt was hanging into the isle. Basically, she implied it shouldn't be my concern. Having watched people hit the ceiling in turbulence, I felt it was in the interest of safety of other passengers. She didn't say a word to the unbelted passenger. My first experience with Virgin won't be my last - I'm already booked for two more flights. Please tell me that my 15-hour Virgin Australia flight from BNE to LAX in a few days will not be as miserable as my first. I am just over 6' and weigh 198lbs and admit that I am remembering flying in Australia in the past, but this is shameful. What a disappointment.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737-800
Date FlownNovember 2015

"Chairs very uncomfortable"

Sydney to Perth in Business Class. Very disappointed with Business Class. Seatback entertainment not available. Chairs very uncomfortable for the flight from Sydney to Perth. Usually experience an A330 on this flight which would have been a welcome change. Service was to standards expected but that was the only shining light. Flew Qantas on the return leg - both airlines need to lift their game. To offer Samsung tablets as entertainment and then take over the table space for over half the flight is silly. The aisle was frequently the venue for intimate encounters. Have done this flight many times and enjoyed it immensely - all on the A330, but Virgin dropped the ball by using the Boeing 738, it is too long a journey in such an uncomfortable seat. Without entertainment, there is what you carry aboard to occupy you - not expected in business class. Photo shoes the stuffed toy that came with the child in the window seat. In the photo, the toy was on the floor between the seats in front. For take off and landing, it had to be stowed in an overhead locker for safety.
Aircraft TypeBoeing 737-800
Seat Layout2 x 2 in Business Class, 3 X 3 in Economy
Date FlownAugust 2015

"sufficient leg room"

Seat was reasonably comfortable. I had sufficient leg room without putting my knees into the seat in front. A short flight and I didn't test the recline to see how far it would go. For an economy class seat there was sufficient room and comfort for a short flight.
Aircraft TypeEmbraer 190
Seat Layout2x2
Date FlownOctober 2015
Seat Storage 12345

"welcome change not to feel so compressed"

Mel-Syd. Economy seat 25A. As flight was near full having a window seat was a good choice. Seat width was wider than on an A320A330 or A340 and it was a welcome change not to feel so compressed in terms of the seat area and legroom. The downsides however were the constriction from the left side wall tapered inwards from shin to toe and headroom when standing to get out. Cabin felt dated despite the aircraft being younger than 5 years - this came about due to visible cracks in the plastic fittings as well as rather old looking mould on the seat in front and no tv screens anywhere.
Aircraft TypeBOEING 737-800

"comfort is good"

13D (DAR-MEL) exit seat. LOADS of leg room but there are seats in front. Comfort is good but can feel not so on 4hr+ flights. Armrests seem quite weak don't stay upright if you want to lay down but you still can. Exit seats don't recline which is a pain. But if the plane isn't full then its all good you can stretch out.
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"seats were very comfortable"

LAX-BNE. Premium Economy seats were very comfortable had ample leg room and the 3-position leg rest was really nice. The front row just gets a cushion for their feet after take-off. I prefer the leg rests the other rows have as they are adjustable. The recline was pretty generous and I didn't feel too crowded when the seat in front of me was down. The seat width could've been a bit wider. I had some room but if you are a larger individual you will fill up the seat. With my seat reclined and my feet on the leg rest in the top position I was almost all the way stretched out. (I am 5'6") I found it very comfortable. For 2 people the side rows are great. They are just two seats and we felt like it was our own little area. Getting out of the window seat was pretty good. The VOD system was pretty good. They had a seat-to-seat text chat feature and games you can play against other passengers. The movie selection was good. They provide noise-canceling headphones and they worked very well. Welcome drink menu for meals attentive crew and self-service bar is awesome! There was always water juice beer wine rum and soda available also bags of potato chips. The premium section also has it's own restrooms - large and clean. Welcome kit included eye cover blanket toothbrush socks etc. I was very impressed with Premium Economy and thought it was well worth it for a 16 hour flight.
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"Seats are a good width"

SYD to LAX return (return flight was seat 38F). Found legroom and recline on V Australia's 777 superior to others. Seat was a little thin/firm under backside and being 100kg I noticed. Seats are a good width but bloke next to me kept spreading himself out too much which made it difficult to sleep properly.
Seat Layout3x3x3
Viewing Tv Screen 12345

"seat cushioning became intolerable"

On long haul flight from MEL-LAX the seat cushioning became intolerable. We did everything from placing pillows / blankets under our bottoms & thighs to regular position changes & walks around the cabin. What's the use of having the widest seats in economy across the pacific if they afford very little comfort in seat cushioning?
Aircraft TypeB777-300ER