Toronto Pearson Airport

"rude and unhelpful airport staff"

Trip Verified | Recently traveled to US for vacation, but treated by rude and unhelpful airport staff on the way to the destination and return. There is simply not sufficient signs to guide you thru the custom process on-route and return, and when I tried to ask the airport staff for direction and they simply treat you with a bad attitude instead of trying to help. As a Canadian, I feel ashamed with such a poor standard from Pearson, and it is just not up to the standard as a world class international airport.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"really reflects poorly on Canada"

Trip Verified | Toronto Pearson Airport is the worst airport I have ever traveled through in my 45+ years of traveling, and the experience I had at both arrival and departure will make me think twice before I again visit Toronto. I make approximately 20 international round trip journeys each year and I have certainly had my share of bad airports - Mumbai and LAX stand out as bad airports. But Toronto Pearson was horrid, absolutely execrable, far worse than any sub-continent third world country. Who ever heard of an APEC country without an APEC queue? And no priority lanes for anyone, no matter what! It really reflects poorly on Canada which seeks to position Toronto as a financial services, fintech hub. Let me tell you this: we won't be jetting in for a couple of days of fintech on Adelaide Street if we have to spend over 5 hours in queues at the airport on such a short itinerary! Horribly rude staff who seemed to rejoice in business people having to queue. Especially American Airlines - and yes I was first class. Never again!
Date VisitNovember 2017

"Over 6 years of constant delays"

Unverified | This is a constant theme here. Baggage getting to the claim carousel are the worst here than any aiport I have travelled to in all of North and South America. Delays of over 40 minutes are common. If I had another option for my "home" airport I would never use this again. Over 6 years of constant delays. Ths people are either lazy or the airport does not care about its customers.

"It falls short"

Unverified | Expedited Customs when arriving from the US, and doing a domestic connection in Canada. It falls short! Great idea, very efficient pass through customs, what a great idea! Except it's ruined by forcing D-gate (domestic connections) travellers onto a bus that sits there for 15 minutes and after this big delay, the bus only drives 100m! Why would they do this! Just make it so that people have the option to walk it, it would take 60 seconds.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"baggage handlers are just incompetent"

Unverified | Just had the worst airport experience in over 40 years of traveling at Toronto Pearson. Been waiting over 2 hours for my bags so I can clear customs. The bags are here, they know where they are, but they can't get them delivered to baggage claim. It's not too busy, their baggage handlers are just incompetent. Don't fly through here if you can avoid it.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"Why not spread the machines out"

Unverified | The Customs hall at Pearson Terminal 3 is the most useless exercise in pointless automation that I have ever seen. Imagine two or three international flights worth of tired passengers being herded into what they think is Customs, but instead turns out to be a huge meandering line up to electronically fill out Declaration forms that they have already filled out on the plane anyway. This is all guided by a bunch of people who seem to have only just been trained or just started doing this job (though I'm told this room has been like this for a few years now). After waiting in line for what feels like forever you are sent over to one of these computers that scans your passport and takes you picture. Finally you finish filling out the electronic declaration form. Then you realize that you have to get into another line, just as long as the first, to get to an actual Customs Agent. This takes just as long as the first line. I realize that the whole procedure is to try and improve things for Customs and The Agents but this isn't the way to do it. Why not spread the machines out along the couple of miles of hallways between the Gates and the Customs Hall? And also, tell the airlines they don't need to hand out the old forms anymore.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"Staff unhelpful and surly"

Verified Review | Staff unhelpful and surly. Long session at a computer terminal despite having an ETA and completing a form on the plane. Question about misleading signage just ignored. Have looked at many reviews about this airport on the internet and they are universally bad going back ten years or more, so Canada clearly does not care about the impression it gives its visitors. I was on holiday, but a friend who was on business a few weeks ago was agressively asked why a Canadian could not do the same job. Ths fact that he was contracted to do a specialised job by a Canadian company made no difference. They just seem to want to make people disike Canada for no sensible reason. The actual residents of Toronto were perfecly fine and are being very badly let down by their compatriots at the airport. It must be deliberate since they have done nothing about it. I have travelled widely and nothing compares to Canada. Such a shame. Never again.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"uncoordinated, disrespectful staff"

Verified Review | On October 13 we returned to Canada from Montego Bay, Jamaica with arrival at 7:15 pm and connecting flight to Winnipeg at 9:30 pm. We were immediately funnelled towards 2 flights of stairs and a non-operational escalator, with no visible signs of an elevator. At the top of the stairs we were confronted with a snaking line of people back and forth, approximately 300 deep. This was to use new customs kiosks where you enter your passport (not all machines accepting the passports properly), have a facial photograph taken and issued a "receipt". This lineup was timed and took 40 minutes to reach the kiosk. Then we were ushered into a 2nd hall of approximately 500 people snaking back and forth in a state of chaos with people upset about connections and insufficient, uncoordinated, disrespectful staff, some with poor grasp of English. After flagging down an unhelpful staff person we just jumped lines and eventually got to the ticket booth where the customs agent just said "go". What the point of that 40 minute line was is unclear. We were then stampeded to the baggage carousels and herded along to the exit with verbal directions someone in our party heard, to go left and then take an escalator. There did not seem to be any clear signage. At no point in the baggage area or the long queue to drop off the bags again, were signs visible to remind international passengers to put their duty free liquids in the bags to be rechecked or they would be confiscated. Nor was there time to think of this, as the place was mayhem. We proceeded directly to the security area, with our duty free bag, where another huge line up was ahead of us. With now less than 15 or 20 minutes to get to the gate for departure the security people were abusive of their authoritarian position, deliberately slow, confiscated our duty free purchases in a haughty manner and didn't have courtesy to say sorry. If I didn't know this was Canada, I would have said I was in an Orwellian state. My husband, age 66, ran to the airline gate. At 65, with a sore back I could not run. I still had not had a moment in this unbelievable scenario to go to the washroom. The first time I saw a washroom sign was just by the airport departure gate. I and another late family were the last to board the plane within 5 minutes of departure. 2 hours 15 minutes between flights should have been plenty, instead the couple we were travelling with would have missed their connecting flight if not for a delay at the airline end. When one comes off a flight of 4 hours to an airport and has to clear customs and make another connection, one should not be treated worse than a stray dog. This is how I was made to feel. I for one, will never be foolish enough to plan a trip going through this poorly managed, poorly signed, airport with staff who have not been informed that the flying public are paying a good price and should be treated with some civility.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"careless of customer service"

Unverified | We visit Toronto regularly. Last year we arrived at 18.00, cleared customs / immigration within 15 minutes, then had to wait 50 minutes for baggage to appear on the carousel. When departing two weeks later there were continual changes to the boarding gates. October 2017, same problem with baggage taking 40 minutes after clearing immigration to arrive at carousel. Much worse when departing on flight AC 848. Gate was changed from E77 to E74, but a flight to Rome was at gate E75, so AC848 could not approach gate E74 until the Rome flight had departed, which was 20 minutes after AC848 was scheduled to depart. Further short delay until AC848 arrived at gate, flight crew then boarded to make operational and safety checks (why couldn't they have boarded the aircraft earlier to do these tasks?) and passengers loaded soon after. Actually pushed back from gate 54 minutes later than scheduled departure time. There was a further hour delay due to mechanical failure on taxiway, but this not the airport's fault. It is obvious that at Pearson Airport there is an appallingly low standard of customer service skills, either because the airport staff don't care or, more probably, because the management is careless of customer service or has zero competence in customer service skills. Also, there seems to be little or no effort to learn from their mistakes. Perhaps they all should be reminded that customers made angry by bad service will vote with their feet and never return.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"not the best terminal I have used"

Unverified | Terminal 3 at YYZ is not the best terminal I have used, I much prefer Terminal 1. Upon arrival into T3 from a BA flight we went straight to immigration where the queue looked larger than it was, and we were through after 15/20 minutes, although we were sat toward the back of the airplane and another international flight had landed. The bag claim area has an extremely low ceiling which causes some uncomfort, and then exiting into the arrivals area, there are so many people about. The access to the UP Express is still convenient and tickets are available for purchase just down the hall. Departing is not a great experience either. The signage is easy to understand, and finding out where to go is fine, however security took thirty minutes at a time which 'wasn't busy'. The choice of shops and restaurants lacks, with a few news stores and coffee shops. I would happily fly from T3 again.