Toronto Pearson Airport

"everything is so complicated"

Not Verified | The passport control is terrible! First, the design is awful so that traffic is heavy all day long. Security treated people as idiots and everything is so complicated to confuse people a lot. For example, if people cannot walk through that lane, why do you open the space with the belt? Why don’t you close the belt? Then, customs people are rude and they won’t make things straightforward.

"Pearson is the worst"

Trip Verified | Toronto Pearson continues to be at the top of the list of my most world wide hated airports. I travel on average 6 times a year to USA, Europe and Asia. Pearson is the worst. The latest: they now insist that any “liquids” (toothpaste, shaving cream) must all fit into their small plastic bag which I did but had two small cans of shaving cream left over. He insisted I give these up to be thrown away. My 10 year old daughter was travelling with me and when I asked if she could be given their small plastic bag to house my shaving creme he stated loudly “NO!”. While it’s not a lot of money, his insistence first that “only 1 bag person” turn into “1 bag per family” just was not right. Also, there has not been any other airport where they insist that any “liquids” fit into 1 of their small plastic bags. Then to change the rules just demonstrates a severe lack of customer friendliness, logic, etc.. Secondly, their WIFI is ridiculously slow. My personal OTA on Telus is faster.

"maybe I just got lucky"

Trip Verified | Terminal 1 Air Canada. Actually it was quite good, maybe I just got lucky. Little waiting, easy. Bags came out fast. Staff were pleasant, at least the ones I encountered. No problems with airport staff, unlike AC staff but that’s another report.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"pestered by annoying workers"

Not Verified | I and my family were flying from Columbus to Toronto from Toronto to Providenciales and vice versa. The flight into Toronto was smooth, get off the plane and then get on the flight. The flight was smooth but flying in after a long flight to be greeted by workers who don't know what they are doing is frustrating and annoying. When we got off the plane, we had a 3-hour layover and 2 hours and 30 minutes were taken up with customs. Walking in you could tell it was going to be a bumpy ride and it was. We started off trying to use one of the machines that don't work. We were told by the workers to just fill out the blue form and skip the line. After doing this we had to sit in a room for 30 minutes to wait for our bags to come up on a screen just letting us know that are luggage was checked and going onto the next plane and it was just silly. Not many chairs and if you got one, it's very uncomfortable. Finally, our luggage was up on the machine and my family was rather hungry and didn't want to be pestered by annoying workers, and that is exactly what we got. A lady who didn't know anything about anything and one of my family members got rather "agitated" and said I'm done and went in line. She accused us of yelling at her and then we got pushed back to the machines that don't work and got helped by a customs worker who was a big help. Then we went smoothly through the line. My personal opinion is to never fly through Toronto as its just a waste of time.
Date VisitJune 2018

"obscure to all but airport staff"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | System which is obscure to all but airport staff: Over the last 8 days, I came through YYZ 3 times, all of which were odd. Here's some examples: 1) When arriving, you get your luggage, then have to queue again. This last and final queue has no purpose but to have your customs declaration sheet put into a box by an official 2) When departing, there's kiosks for self service printing of luggage tags. There's also machines for the actual luggage drop, however, this can only be reached by standing in line for an hour. This line is also for people who are not checked in at all, or are checked in but have no luggage tag. 3) When transiting, there's a big fat sign saying "transit go left". At the end of this rather long walk, below a sign for "international transit", there's an official telling you that you should have gone *right*, to, guess what, stand in line again. It's also frustrating that I have to throw my drinking water away when transiting.

"experience was awful"

Not Verified | Toronto Pearson International Terminal is not fit for purpose. Travelled from Atlanta via here on way back to Heathrow UK. Had a 5 hour stop over, no problem I thought, time to get a meal and relax before a long flight. Not here you can't! The seating for passengers is inadequate and unsuitable. 90% of it is high stools by internet stations - terrible for older passengers (the very people who need to sit down the most) Eating. Choice limited to a burger outlet or snack bar and table seating area a joke. Due to the lack of seating elsewhere, passengers were sitting in the tables when either not eating at all or long after finishing their food. Don't blame them, there was nowhere else to go. There are other areas that could be used for passenger comfort, but they are filled with "art?" that apart from looking nice, served no purpose other than giving people something to lean against when having to sit on the floor. Space. Access / queuing area when a flight is called is nowhere near large enough and gate management non existent. When our flight was due for boarding we had to share the area with another flight at the gate adjacent to ours. Passengers were having to push and shove their way through to get past the gate to get to other flights, or through the queue if they were a higher priority boarder on our or the other flight queuing. So many people in such a small area meant that no one could hear the gate staff when they were trying to give passenger information. Not a single member of staff from the airport was there to give any assistance to help the situation. What must have been over 1000 people queuing around the 2 gates in an area not big enough half that number. If animals were treated in this way it would be reported to World Wildlife Organisation as cruelty to animals. If there had been an emergency, the consequences could have been horrific. The fault is that the building is fundamentally not big enough for what it claims to be. This is compounded by a terrible use of the space that is there, with more attention being paid to trying to extract more money from passengers (oversized shops and chargeable internet stations), and space wasted on sculptures, than is used for customer needs. All together our experience of Pearson airport was awful (for the 2nd time in 4 years) and will try everything to avoid flying to, from or through there from now on.

"avoid at all costs"

Trip Verified | The main thing an airport should do is facilitate arrivals and departures of flights. However, Pearson constantly closes runways on a rotating and unannounced basis resulting in frequent flight cancellations with only a few hours notice, causing havoc every day for thousands of passengers who are blithely told to find themselves a hotel, the next flight won't leave till tomorrow. Don't fly through Toronto if you can possibly avoid it. However, don't use Toronto City either because it's frequently unable to land or depart flights due to wind. For reliability of flying out or flying in, Toronto's a disaster. Fly out of Montreal. Toronto Pearson also does not have enough plugs at the seats at the gates, sometimes only two at an entire gate. Because who has electronics these days? Terminal 3 is particularly bad for electronic connections and for food. Avoid at all costs.

"not customer friendly"

Not Verified | I am Canadian, residing in Toronto so YYZ is the main airport I use. I consider myself well travelled and the comparison I am making here is between Pearson International Airport and European and American airports which supposedly should have the same standards! First of all the staff that work at Pearson are not customer friendly. As soon as you get off the airplane you see that’s ridiculous line up and the staff directing you as if you are cattle! One rude staffer who was separating Canadian passport holders and non-Canadian passport holders was actually quite rude. Even though I had my Canadian passport in my hand she shouts after I go and line up in Canadian line and says: “that line is for Canadians only”. I wave my passport at her and she just rolls her eyes and continues directing the cattles. I felt bad for the tourists. Some were asking questions because they just didn’t know how to use the machines and there were getting no help! Too many staff, not so much help!
Date VisitJuly 2018

"best airport I have ever been to"

Not Verified | This is without a doubt the best airport I have ever been to. The customer service was beyond compare. We ended up missing our connection due to misinformation from the airline. There was no one from either airline we flew with willing to help us and the information desk person from the airport went above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of and made it home safely.

"a complete failure"

Trip Verified | My last 2 arrivals at Pearson (Jan 2018 and June 2018) have been nightmares. From arriving in a remote stand that was several kilometres from the terminal and requiring a bus, to the automated immigration system that simply does not work and no staff to help - this airport is a complete failure.