Vote Now

Toronto Pearson Airport

"30 minutes to cross security"

Verified Review | Toronto Pearson Airport, despite using the super elite line that got us almost to the front of the line, it took us 30 minutes to cross security. There were only two lanes open at 3h30 in the afternoon for international departures. The person that screens the luggage X-ray was also the same person who looked for illegal objects in the bags and as three people in a row had illegal items in their bags, the whole line was stalled by the screening doing two jobs while 4 other security employee stood around waiting. Completely inefficient. This is the only place where I've seen this process.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"complete logistical nightmare"

Verified Review | I have flown in and out of a number of airports around the world over the years. Toronto Pearson Airport is the worst by far. In recent months I have used both Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 for international flights at the airport and both are a complete logistical nightmare. They are so poorly laid out and with a lack of proper and useful signage. It is a disgrace. Last week upon returning from an international flight in Terminal 3 all arriving flights were channeled into a single queue to submit completed and checked customs forms. There had to be more than 1000 passengers from several flights all waiting to pass through a single queue. Pearson Airport is an embarrassment to all Canadians. One organized person responsible and with some common sense could correct all the problems, however, I expect the cause of the problems is related to the number of different departments involved in it's operation.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"no regard for passenger satisfaction"

Verified Review | Coming in from the US there is no regard for passenger satisfaction. Walk 3 miles to get in a 200 person line to access a kiosk and then 3 TFSA agents sitting on their collective backsides with no more than a grunt as you pass by. End with yet another half mile walk to the bowels if the terminal 3 to locate your gate to Saskatoon and a 3rd rate "Tap an Pour" corral that serves ok beer but sun par food. Pearson needs to take a look at what and how other major North American airports do customer satisfaction. Final word: avoid this airport at all cost.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"our luggage came off last"

Verified Review | Toronto is the worst airport to fly into. We were traveling in Asia for the last 3 weeks and came home connecting through Toronto. We had priority luggage tags and our luggage came off last after waiting for 80 minutes for our luggage and almost missed our connection.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"Flight was fine. Airport horrible"

Flew to YYZ from Fort Myers, non stop on Air Canada. Flight was fine. Airport horrible. Departing through customs was insane. Finally made it through that and could not find where the car rental businesses were located. Signage almost non-existent. Large areas to walk through with few or no seats to sit down and catch your breath. Finally found car rental and were on our way. The return trip involved going though security clearance protocols that bordered on shear insanity. I've been in and out of a maximum security prison with fewer stages of identity proof. You'd think a passport is enough and you'd be wrong. Not only did you have to show it, but you had to take a picture of it and yourself at one of the stages. If I have to go to Toronto again, I'll fly to Buffalo, rent a car there, and drive to Toronto. May possibly be faster, and almost certainly easier.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"poor gate management and poor baggage handling"

Verified Review | We have come to hate flying, as our nearest International airport is Pearson, Toronto. Issues include high airport taxes, poor gate management and poor baggage handling. Toronto doesn't deserve the high taxes charged. We are seasoned travellers. The baggage handling at Pearson in our opinion, is the worst in the world. Extremely slow, lost luggage, and damages. In January our return flight was an hour late. We were held on the Tarmac awaiting a gate. Toronto had several hours to accommodate the new flight time. It took off late from Austin. After 45 minutes waiting at the carousel indicated for our bags, an announcement said they would be arriving soon. It was us and other passengers that spotted the bags arriving on another carousel. Staff obviously didn't know where they were. It was late, past midnight and we still had a long drive ahead of us. The baggage handling, is always slow and poor. We are proud Canadians and love living in the Toronto area. We would like to see some major improvements to Pearson Airport, Toronto.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"airport was chaotic and signage poor"

Verified Review | I have just travelled via Toronto’s Pearson airport today and must say it rates as one of the worst airport experiences I’ve had! I was in transit and had just under 3 hours to make the connection. The airport was chaotic and signage poor. Got through immigration OK but arrived at the baggage collection point at terminal 3 where there were crowds of people – it was difficult to move. Wanted to use the ladies but there were only two facilities one of which was out of order. The other one had a queue going out of the door. Decided to hold on as time was against me. However, the luggage was delayed. People were sitting on the carousel which was also covered with litter. Tried to find a member of staff to ask and eventually found one who told me that there was indeed a delay and he could not tell me when the luggage would come off. He told me that I might have to go ahead of the luggage and it could be brought down to me on a different flight. Luggage eventually arrived almost an hour later. My niece (who had done the same trip a week before) had given me some tips as she too found the transfer difficult (and on her outgoing flight her bags had not arrived on the flight with her due to Air Canada staff advising her in London that they could be checked right through which was wrong information). She had told me to take my luggage to terminal 1 to check in, but it was just lucky that I asked and was told to check it in at terminal 3 which was easier. Then went to find train to get to terminal 1 which was not easy as signage poor. When finally arrived at terminal there were again no signs and very long queues. My flight was to board in 10 mins so I asked a staff member what to do and she said I would only get through if I used the self-service kiosks. However most kiosks were out of order! Eventually found one which promptly shut down and screen told me to seek assistance. Then found another and after two goes I got a boarding pass of sorts. Only it had no seat number. I then went to get through security and found the queues so long it was clear I would not get through in time. My niece told me to join a priority line which I did, but when I got to the top the staff member told me it was no longer in operation and to join another queue. Everyone was pushing in and after what seemed to be an interminable wait, I got my bags checked. I made ready to go to gate E75. This was the worst part of the experience. There was a huge crowd around gates E75 and E74 and no one seemed to know what was happening. There were announcements about zones but my pass had no zone written on it. The announcements were muffled and it was not possible to make them out. Everyone was pushing and shoving and there was no room for wheelchairs or pushchairs to get through and every few minutes the staff pushing the wheelchairs told the crowd off. People were getting irate. We just stood and stood with no one moving. Nowhere to sit down. It was exhausting and very stressful. The muffled announcer kept saying that the flights were both very large – as if this excused the chaos. It seemed to me that the space for waiting just was not large enough. Eventually, nearly an hour late the flight finally boarded. I was relieved to land in Heathrow where I am pleased to say I had a totally different experience—quick service, courtesy, order and sufficient toilets. I think I will try to avoid the Toronto Pearson airport in future.
Date VisitJanuary 2017

"staff are not knowledgeable"

Verified Review | Horrendous. Staff are not knowledgeable, it seems that 50 people ask you for your boarding pass, most for no reason except to ask for it. The whole process of clearing US Immigration is haphazard. They funnel you to machines to (yes, scan your boarding pass!) tell you which line to enter. Then a person asks for your boarding pass again, and tells you to go into a different line. It's a mess. Wait times are not great-better leave lots of extra time. Once I arrived in the terminal I found out that the sole American lounge was shut, with no alternatives offered. And again, you've got to get to the airport early, so you're stuck in one of the dismal 1980-vintage cafes chewing on a stale bun and insipid coffee for hours on end. Wonderful. Shopping options are limited and unimpressive. No restaurants unless your idea of dinner is the Jalapeño Poppers at the sports bar. Seating is very uncomfortable and unsuitable for long waits. Power points are few and far between. As if something else needed to go wrong, the Airport WiFi simply doesn't work. I tested it on two devices and it simply failed on both devices. Nice! And there are no alternatives. That's the only WiFi that's here. Guess no one cares if it goes down.
Date VisitDecember 2016

"no information, angry, tired people"

Verified Review | We arrived back from Puerto Vallarta at 9pm, Dec 15, 2017. It was midnight before any luggage was put on belt. People, children sleeping on the floor. No information, angry, tired people, almost no seating, no food avail. It felt like we were deserted. This is the worst airport for rudeness and lack of knowledge I have ever experienced and I am widely travelled. And about the highest airport charges anywhere. How can you justify this? And too much walking. I have nothing good to say about it. Shameful for Canada!
Date VisitDecember 2016

"dreadful experience"

Our arrival into Toronto Pearson went very smoothly. Our departure was a nightmare. Our flight to Dublin was departing at 20.55. We arrived in plenty of time entering Terminal 1 at 18.05. On approaching check in desk 5 it was totally overcrowded. When I asked a floor attendant where we should queue, the sharp answer was "behind the glass". There were hundreds of people like us and no one knew where to queue. We joined a queue and finally reached check in desk 6 at 19.25. We were the only people in the queue for our flight, all the others were for Delhi / Mumbai / London / Munich. We were next to be checked in when the attendant shouted London and she told me that 10 people had to be checked in as the flight was closing. So we waited again. At 20.15 we were checked in and joined the security queue which took another 20 minutes. We ran for our gate with 5 minutes to spare to boarding. I have travelled all over the world and have never experienced such awful, appalling customer service in more than 30 years of travel. Worst of all is that I have to do this many more times as I now have family in Toronto. Previous reviews are just as reflective of my dreadful experience.
Date VisitNovember 2016