Top 100 Airlines

Phoenix Airport

"not enough space"

What a mess this place is. TSA is in chaos. Rude and inefficient. Body scanners are missing. Metal detectors used are apparently not set with proper sensitivity. One of us cruised through with one artificial hip. The other of us lit it up because of two artificial knees. Thus, an invasive pat down ensued. Ridiculous waste of time for the agent and the traveler. Not enough lines. Not enough space. Signage inadequate. Unorganized and sloppy. Then there is the terminal. Dirty and uncomfortable. Not enough seating for a plane full of passengers. Public address system poor. Boarding instructions confusing because you could not tell what gate was making the announcements. Nothing in the terminal says welcome to Phoenix. Nothing lets you know you are in the southwest. If we could, we would definitely avoid this airport in the future.
Date VisitApril 2016

"unorganized mess"

I arrived almost two hrs before my next connecting flight. To only stand in line for three hours. TSA by the masses yet just three lines opened. More than three flights missed by about 100 people. When I finally got to TSA I was told I had to leave the liquor I purchased In Mexico (sealed legally). I stated I would check it in (he never suggested that option). AA stated they have nothing to do with TSA delay, I paid $150 for next flight because yes, way before the "I would have to relinquish liquor" while in the 2nd hr of waiting on line I missed my flight. Lots of employees at this airport as I went to customer service to complain stated that the airport has been a mess since Dec 2015. Avoid this unorganized mess of an airport. Lastly it's very sad how AA nickle and dime its customers.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"a really bad baggage experience"

Overall, it is a great airport, however a really bad baggage experience has left a bad taste for checking baggage. My bags took 1 hour to arrive and were not on the carousel advertised on the electronic board. As I was leaving with much luggage that showed up on carousel 5, the airport board was still showing that my bags were still being waited for on carousel 1. At the tail end of a long, overnight trip, this was not a good experience to end my trip.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"avoid this airport"

We were on a flight from Cancun Mexico to San Francisco with a stop in Phoenix. We purchased a few items from the Cancun transit shops wrapped and sealed in the special security cleared bag. Upon arrival at PHX, we cleared immigration and customs and were on our way to catch the domestic flight to SFO, which included going through TSA. The TSA agents confiscated our sealed purchased items stating that they were not in the right TSA approved bags. It is totally unacceptable to require all the countries in the world use the same type of security clearance bags used in the US. We ended up losing everything we bought to the TSA agents who supposedly "confiscated" them. The agents had a terrible attitude and did not even try to listen to the explanations. Very unhappy with how out of touch the TSA agents were in this airport. Try to avoid this airport as much as you can, especially if transferring from an international flight to a domestic.
Date VisitSeptember 2015

"signage is non-existent"

Avoid for transit travel - informational signage and help is non-existent. After walking in circles for 15 minutes my wife and I finally asked a pilot what terminal our airline was in and then learned we needed to exit security to get to our terminal. Needless to say that meant we needed to clear security again. We had cleared thru Pre-TSA at our originating airport but our transit boarding passes did not have our pre TSA-clearance authorization printed so we had to go to our airline ticketing area to reprint. The lines were long and the staff working TSA were less than cordial. We asked if there was work in process to connect the terminals and they said no why would they? We explained that we had come in on Alaska (a major airline) and that we were departing on American (another major airline) and that going through security twice was a waste of resources and they pretty much they said too bad, that's just normal.
Date VisitDecember 2015

"worst security screening queues ever"

Worst security screening queues ever. Arrived 2 hours early, but TSA only had 2 lines open, forcing more than a one hour wait just to get past ID screening, then still had to go through luggage screening lines. TSA personnel are rude, condescending, and could care less. Southwest Airlines was forced to delay departures as more than a dozen passengers were late due to TSA screwups with far too few people working the first Tuesday in December at prime time 6 p.m. departure. What an incomprehensiblly incompetent TSA staff at this airport, has to be the worst in the U.S.
Date VisitDecember 2015

"line was ridiculously long"

After a lovely weekend in Scottsdale, the departure almost didn't happen. We had time to kill and arrived at the airport 2 hours early. Thank goodness, because the security line almost resulted in a missed flight. The line was ridiculously long and there were only 3 regular lines open. TSA pre-check was practically empty. Passengers were missing their flights as we navigated the security line. I arrived at the gate with only 5 minutes to spare. TSA staff could not care less about the situation - why would they have 1 TSA person checking identification and IDs and not accommodate what was clearly an exceptionally long line of passengers to get through the security process? I will remember this experience and that planning to navigate this airport may require closer to 3 hours for a simple domestic flight.
Date VisitNovember 2015

"out of date and touch"

TSA rude, sarcastic. Most of stores closed. Out of date and touch.
Date VisitNovember 2015

"I have seen better"

(China)

This airport will do, although I have seen better. Restrooms and terminal were clean although not 100% spotless. It's a considerable distance to the gate. There are electric buggies roaming about, to help the elderly and infirm. Queue times and staff performance were reasonable, as I expected.
Date VisitOctober 2015

"completely packed and chaotic"

Phoenix airport is easy to navigate, get in, get out and be on your way. It's a good medium size - not too overwhelming nor will you have to walk miles and miles to get to your gate. The only negatives are that as of October 2015, they are still not allowing ride sharing service like Uber and Lyft to operate at the airport. You have to take a cab when leaving the airport which means surcharges and extra fees. There is also limited seating and food options at Southwest gates. Everywhere we tried to grab a seat or a beer was completely packed and chaotic.
Date VisitOctober 2015