Top 100 Airlines

Perth Airport

"a truly unpleasant experience"

Terrible queues. Passport check in is extremely slow, especially for Australians. Customs had a mammoth queue which took forever to get through. An embarrassment for Australia. No seating around the place. Signage was poor. Not enough toilets. All in all a truly unpleasant experience.
Date VisitApril 2016

"let down by the airport staff"

I have been in and out of this airport dozens of times over the last 5 years and without a doubt it is seriously let down by the airport staff. In particular the International Arrivals service by Australian Customs is a disgrace. All the facilities appear to be in place for a smooth operation but invariably as an arriving passenger you are subjected to an hour long wait in the baggage claim area waiting for customs clearance. It is particularly poor when more than one flight comes in at the same time. It is almost as if the Airport Management are too incompetent to adapt staffing rosters to suit when flights are scheduled to come in. As a sweeping generalisation I have found that more often than not the staff are rude when you eventually deal with them. I had one incident about a year and a half ago where the queue took about 2hrs to get out from baggage claim with 1 staff member checking arrivals cards and about 5 watching on. This was particularly infuriating watching 3 full plane loads of people waiting for these clowns to get to work. Unfortunately the formal complaint I submitted never got a response. This just shows what the Perth Customs Team approach to customer service is like. Other than that - international departures is normally OK and domestic is good if you are a frequent flyer and about average if not.

"general chaos ensues"

Newly refurbished international airport but couldn't afford a couple of pens at the outgoing passport control area where you have to fill out departure forms. General chaos ensues - amateurish and embarrassing. Customer experience obviously at top of list. Apart from that the shops/look/feel same as before.
Date VisitApril 2016

"so child-unfriendly"

I have just returned from Terminal 1 Perth Airport having seen off my daughter and granddaughter, who were travelling to Karratha with Virgin Airlines. First of all, I was disappointed to find that there were no trolleys available in the car park. My granddaughter is 15 months old, so we had a lot of luggage, a large case, a travel cot, a car seat, a buggy, together with a carry-on bag for the baby. We checked in, kindly assisted by a member of virgin staff. However, we had to check in the baby's buggy and was appalled to find that there no courtesy buggies available. These were provided by Quantas on my daughter's previous flight to Karratha. This was really inconvenient as my granddaughter is 14 kilos and not yet walking, which meant that she had to be carried to departure gate 43. The final straw was, there were no highchairs when we went to order a meal. I cannot believe that this new modern terminal is so child-unfriendly.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"had high hopes"

I had high hopes for arrival at Perth after leaving Singapore. Big new building, heaps of duty free opportunities. It was around midnight, the automated entry gate did not work, there was no immediate help to direct you to next step - my passport picture was not recognised and the gate would not open for my partner, so we both back tracked there. While waiting for the luggage I visited the toilets, two of the cubicles were dirty - it was disgusting. Eventually our cases appeared and we proceeded to customs, there was a huge queue and 2 exits open. Some extra staff arrived after a while. It is one thing to have great new buildings, but let's have some people employed to make the buildings efficient. I had to compare to Singapore where the friendliness and helpfulness is amazing.

"complete shambles"

It took 1 hour and 45 minutes from entering the baggage reclaim to leaving the airport. Apparently it comes as a surprise to airport staff when flights arrive. Maybe the schedulers could give the ground staff prior notice in future? Or the pilots could call ahead? Or maybe ground could look up to see if any planes are approaching, because the complete shambles which I experienced yesterday is unfortunately not the first time. Queuing times and airport staff are a joke. Worst international airport I've experienced.

"how about more staff"

A lot of money has been spent and you can see the difference for the better but the Quarantine and Agriculture checks are an embarrassment to our country. I have read other reviews and can only add my support. Arrived 2300 31/01/16 ex Indonesia with six (I could see) quarantine officers and 300 passengers. How about more staff or two lines one for no declaration and one for declaration with officers walking the ques and checking paperwork and moving people through. It has to get better no worries with having to keep our environment safe, but be smarter with resources.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"just as bad as it was 10 years ago"

The outgoing CEO of Perth airport has been telling the locals for more than 5 years what a tremendous new airport they will have after spending more than 1 billion dollars on an upgrade. Rubbish. Perth airport is just as bad as it was 10 years ago. There is an expanded departure lounge for new large aircraft, but the area for most has not changed, except there is a larger duty-free liquor area. Pax still have to go down 4 flights of stairs to board an aircraft. But it is in the arrivals area where the only change noticeable is an increase in carousels. On a recent arrival of one A380, one B787 and one B777 at the same time the arrival area was chaos. After getting your case you then join a snaking queue which stretched, if it was one long one and not 4 interlocking queues, for at least 80-100 metres. Every passenger, regardless of your declarations on the incoming customs form, is considered to not have told the truth on the form and must therefore be subjected to a question and answer section with a border protection officer, one of the very few on duty at any one time. Do not expect to get out of the mall inside one to one and a half hours.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"has good seating capacity"

Being a Frequent Flyer with Virgin Australia, the new domestic terminal is a very good thing for me. The airport is clean and has good seating capacity. I get priority check in and boarding but the lines still look pretty long. Airport shopping isn't great, but it is decent. Overall much better than the old terminal and I am happy to go through it most times I travel.
Date VisitJanuary 2016

"nothing short of ludicrous"

Over the past number of years my wife and I have travelled to Indonesia between two and three times a year to visit family and friends and each time when our aircraft touches down in Perth I shudder at the prospect of encountering the incompetance and inefficiency to which all incoming passengers are subjected. Two instances of my previous trip involved being kept aboard our aircraft while the airport authorities looked for an employee who could operate the air bridge and on collecting my luggage was told that my suitcase had been left behind in Jakarta due to wieght restrictions and would be forwarded on the following day and on leaving the airport was chased after by an airport employee who imformed me that my luggage had in fact been loaded on board and was actually there and could be collected. Now on to my most recent trip, we checked in on Dec 11th and I was asked the normal questions including "are you carrying any Chrsitmas Crackers" to which I replied no, my wife who was standing behind me did not hear the question and unbeknown to me my wife who packed our suitcases had in fact included a box of Christmas Crackers, on asking me what the check in clark had said she told me of the box of crackers I immediately returned to the check in counter and explained and fully understood the rule and gave full permission for the crackers to be removed from my suitcase, on embarkation to the aircraft was told that the box of crackers had been removed. Imagine my surprise when we got to our hotel in Indonesia opened our suitcase and "hey presto" there was the box of offending Christmas crackers that shoud have been removed back in Perth. We arrived back in Perth on 3rd Jan at 3.50pm and after going through the automatic immigration proceedure we descended down stairs to the luggage collection area which was absolute bedlam and after waiting alonside our respective carousel heard an announcment that there would be a delay in the unloading of our luggage due to a quaratine issue (same excuse as last trip). We eventually retrieved our cases and joined the horrendously long snake like queue at a snails pace with two airport employees issuing two different instuctions as to the format of the queue resulting in a heated exchange of words between them in front of passengers (clearly untrained people). My wife and I eventually left the airport building at 5.15pm, one hour and twenty five minutes after touch down, this for an International airport of a nation such as Australia is nothing short of ludicrous. What must a first time visitor think of us when they are subjected to the farce of Perth Airport. As an Australian I am both ashshamed and embarrased to have to admit that the airports of Bali and in particular Jakarta which are considerably bigger and handle far more air traffic than Perth run rings around the dismal administration of Perths "World Class Airport".