top100_2016

Perth Airport

"WiFi service was good"

Perth airport signs were helpful but the staff was not so great for the departure hall. Shopping options was not as good as expected. The queue was long for departure where they have to check the passports and the security check but the WiFi service was good and I was able to connect easily. Overall, some areas were disappointing but I will recommend this airport.

"the queue was so long"

(Hong Kong)

After writing a very positive review about this airport for the arrival, this airport faired just average on departure. Check in part was good, as it's been expanded and newly built. Come time for immigration, it was only minded by 2 officers at 8am peak time, the queue was so long. No priority given to any first or business class passengers, unlike in Sydney. The lounge and departure hall more or less remains the same old format. Unless major renovations and procedures of immigration improve, I can only give them a passing mark. I was told change is in the air and very soon. Lets hope the next trip it will be fantastic.

"we were very surprised"

We arrived here from Singapore expecting the worst because its earlier reviews are fairly awful. We were very surprised. Immigration took seconds (literally) and we were through both sets of machines without any problems helped by the fact that there were no queues and that there was someone there to ensure we did things the correct way. Our cards were then stamped by a BioSecurity representative (after a few questions) and we proceeded to baggage. It took about 15 minutes for both bags to arrive, a very short queue at Customs and BioSecurity and we were outside possibly 30 minutes after landing. A helpful security person at the roadside directed us to the taxi rank and even radioed his colleague at the rank to tell him we were coming. $45 later, we were in downtown Perth. A total "no worries mate" for us.
Date VisitMay 2016

"what a huge improvement"

(Hong Kong)

What a huge improvement Perth airport had gone through since 2 years ago. Arrived at 7am, we were the only flight, now immigration was not manned by staff but using an electronic system instead, very modern and efficient. Upon arrival, priority bags were quickly delivered (TG), hardly any queues at quarantine, I was out of there in about 20 minutes, this was truly amazing. Thinking back in those days, where we had to be processed rude staffs, one queue and all that, all were things of the past. I was told that Perth airport is the most modern airport in Australia at the moment. I am not sure of that, but it sure has improved in leaps and bounds.
Date VisitMay 2016

"lacking staff training at customs"

I'm here every few weeks. I was hoping the upgrade would improve a basically country town airport. It did not. Still lacking staff training at customs, rude and abrubt staff. Still only one duty free shop with some items cheaper to buy at Coles. Only one bar/cafe run by what seems like untrained backpackers. Limited comfortable seating, lots of seating but not much comfort. My plane was delayed but no available staff to answer any questions once through customs. The only degree of friendliness was an I.S.S. cleaner who guided myself and a family of 6 close to me as best she could.
Date VisitMay 2016

"a truly unpleasant experience"

Terrible queues. Passport check in is extremely slow, especially for Australians. Customs had a mammoth queue which took forever to get through. An embarrassment for Australia. No seating around the place. Signage was poor. Not enough toilets. All in all a truly unpleasant experience.
Date VisitApril 2016

"let down by the airport staff"

I have been in and out of this airport dozens of times over the last 5 years and without a doubt it is seriously let down by the airport staff. In particular the International Arrivals service by Australian Customs is a disgrace. All the facilities appear to be in place for a smooth operation but invariably as an arriving passenger you are subjected to an hour long wait in the baggage claim area waiting for customs clearance. It is particularly poor when more than one flight comes in at the same time. It is almost as if the Airport Management are too incompetent to adapt staffing rosters to suit when flights are scheduled to come in. As a sweeping generalisation I have found that more often than not the staff are rude when you eventually deal with them. I had one incident about a year and a half ago where the queue took about 2hrs to get out from baggage claim with 1 staff member checking arrivals cards and about 5 watching on. This was particularly infuriating watching 3 full plane loads of people waiting for these clowns to get to work. Unfortunately the formal complaint I submitted never got a response. This just shows what the Perth Customs Team approach to customer service is like. Other than that - international departures is normally OK and domestic is good if you are a frequent flyer and about average if not.
Date VisitFebruary 2016

"general chaos ensues"

Newly refurbished international airport but couldn't afford a couple of pens at the outgoing passport control area where you have to fill out departure forms. General chaos ensues - amateurish and embarrassing. Customer experience obviously at top of list. Apart from that the shops/look/feel same as before.
Date VisitApril 2016

"so child-unfriendly"

I have just returned from Terminal 1 Perth Airport having seen off my daughter and granddaughter, who were travelling to Karratha with Virgin Airlines. First of all, I was disappointed to find that there were no trolleys available in the car park. My granddaughter is 15 months old, so we had a lot of luggage, a large case, a travel cot, a car seat, a buggy, together with a carry-on bag for the baby. We checked in, kindly assisted by a member of virgin staff. However, we had to check in the baby's buggy and was appalled to find that there no courtesy buggies available. These were provided by Quantas on my daughter's previous flight to Karratha. This was really inconvenient as my granddaughter is 14 kilos and not yet walking, which meant that she had to be carried to departure gate 43. The final straw was, there were no highchairs when we went to order a meal. I cannot believe that this new modern terminal is so child-unfriendly.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"had high hopes"

I had high hopes for arrival at Perth after leaving Singapore. Big new building, heaps of duty free opportunities. It was around midnight, the automated entry gate did not work, there was no immediate help to direct you to next step - my passport picture was not recognised and the gate would not open for my partner, so we both back tracked there. While waiting for the luggage I visited the toilets, two of the cubicles were dirty - it was disgusting. Eventually our cases appeared and we proceeded to customs, there was a huge queue and 2 exits open. Some extra staff arrived after a while. It is one thing to have great new buildings, but let's have some people employed to make the buildings efficient. I had to compare to Singapore where the friendliness and helpfulness is amazing.
Date VisitFebruary 2016