Top 100 Airlines

Brussels Zaventem Airport

"good visibility of supporting staff"

(Belgium)

Verified Review | Arrived at the airport by train and my first impression was that they have upped their security quite a bit. I went through a total of 5 Checkpoint (+ scanning) and I must admit I was impressed by the smoothness of it all. I took me about 35 minutes from my arrival at the airport to get to my gate and write this review. No queues at security or passport checkpoint. Good visibility of supporting staff, friendly check in staff. Departure gates could use some extra chairs and the sockets didn't work. I experienced these issues with previous departures as well. Good and reliable Wifi.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"modern and check in was fast"

(China)

Brussels airport is modern and good and check in was fast - benefitting from being not too much traffic. Security was enhanced but many staff worked so it remains efficiently speedy. But two factors that I consider inadequate. The first is that there is no internet (or too slow to connect), and the second, was that if you arrive by bus or to the parking lot you need to walk to the third level for check in, no elevator nor escalator available. Because of this, the ranking is low.

"very well signposted"

I transited through Brussels twice over the space of a long weekend, having to cross from the B to A terminals on the outward journey, then vice versa on my return. The transit procedure was actually very easy and very well signposted. There is even a video you watch on the airport website to familiarise yourself with the airport in advance. The security and passport control queues took less than 5 minutes each, so maybe I was lucky. Like many airports these days, once through security you have to walk through the Duty Free shop to actually get to the departures area. There are numerous other shops, bars and restaurants so plenty of things to do if you have a long layover. There are also sleeper chairs and big comfy settees dotted around if you have time for a sleep, although these were all taken so maybe they could do with some more. I had breakfast at a place close to my departure gate in Terminal A and it cost 8 euros which I didn't think was unreasonable. There is free wifi throughout the airport which worked OK, as well as charging ports on the seating at the gates which is a nice touch. Overall, my transit worked well, and I would definitely consider using this airport again.
Date VisitJune 2016

"staff pleasant and professional"

Entry to Brussels Zaventem was very quick and easy. Passport control was pleasant - it seems like more than half of my plane from Washington was transiting instead of coming into Belgium. Exit was an adventure. Apparently there was a power failure that made a bad situation worse. Taxis drop you off at a zone about 300 yards (100m) from the terminal. You then walk for several blocks on to a spiraling parking garage ramp up 4 floors to another road that leads to large tents where they pre-screen select passengers. The police and airport staff did a very good job of maintaining order, even passing around bottled water in the hot sun. Inside the terminal was a madhouse clearly because of the power failure. It took 90 minutes to get to this. But once you had your boarding pass the experience was excellent. Passport control relatively fast, there are a couple of kiosks where a machine scans the bar-code on your boarding pass to allow you to continue, including one to get into the fastrack security screening. Security staff there was pleasant and professional. There was a lot of construction going on in terminal B so the shopping was nothing special. Except there is one very good chocolate store. The trek to the Star Alliance lounge went on forever. Queuing at United gate was very good as they have adopted Southwest Airline's system of forming separate entries for different group numbers. My ratings discount the power failure-created problems.
Date VisitJune 2016

"staff are helpful and friendly"

I travel regularly to manuy airports and I have found Brussels Zaventem the easiest to navigate to and around. It is comfortable to wait in. Departure lounge seating is very relaxing with built in charging points, it is very clean and staff are very helpful and friendly.
Date VisitJune 2016

"good food and beverage options"

Used Brussels Airport for a long transit from Vilnius to Prague in the B zone of the terminal. Plenty of room in this airport and very good food and beverage options. The airport has plenty of power points for charging your phones / electronic devices, as well as travelators to connect the extremely long B-T terminal area. The signs in the terminal were good and clear, while queuing for my connecting flight did not take too long. Good place for catching a quick nap is the main shopping area - there are plenty of comfortable couches. There is now unlimited WiFi at the airport. In general I enjoyed the transit at this airport, and I look forward to connecting or departing from Brussels in future.
Date VisitMay 2016

"deprived of my tax refund"

(Uganda)

Verified Review | I transited from Brussels airport from Rome to Entebbe in a Brussels Airlines flight. Being an EU citizen resident in Uganda decided to process my receipt for Tax refund in Brussels, according to the rules, the last departure place before leaving EU. Unfortunately, at the time of my arrival from Rome the custom office at gate 64 (for transit passengers) was closed. After about 1 hour waiting an officer finally arrived. I showed the good I was exporting, all the required receipts and requested the stamp to certify that I was exporting the goods. The custom officer requested my Schengen visa (on an EU passport) stating that I was not entitled to tax refund unless I have a Schengen visa in my passport. I tried to explain that EU citizen are not supposed to apply for a Schengen visa when travelling to Europe. I also showed evidence of my residence abroad (working permit and visa from Uganda, ID card from Ugandan Min. of Foreign Affairs, Ugandan driving licence). With no result. Finally I tried to explain that the role of custom officer was just to certify I was exporting the good, while my tax exemption status will be verified by my country tax agency. Hence, refusing me the stamp when there was evidence I was exporting the purchased goods was an abuse of position. The officer still categorical requested me to to show my Schengen visa on my EU passport. By that time my flight was almost closing and I had to leave without stamp. In conclusion, while I have processed tax refund without problems in other European airports (Shiphol, Fiumicino), in Brussels I was deprived of my right to claim a tax refund.
Date VisitApril 2016

"failed to sufficiently staff"

Terrible experience at Brussels Zaventum airport. We all expect a heightened level of security and therefore a longer process but on Fri 29 April it was appalling. The airport management have failed to sufficiently staff and sign the airport to meet the additional security needs at busy times. On April 29th it was chaos and took 3 hours to get through to the gate. If you can go via another airport - for now it would be best to do so.
Date VisitApril 2016

"inadequately staffed"

Allow for an extra hour to get through the passport check and security. Completely inadequately staffed, super slow and not empathetic to your need for haste. This airport is massive and so you need an hour to walk from one end to the other plus 45 minutes for all the bureaucratic and security check. I shall avoid ever stopping there.
Date VisitMarch 2016

"poor passport control facilities"

Old congested airport, with poor passport control facilities. Takes more than an hour to clear passport control, if one is lucky. Security is also time consuming. To change from International to Domestic, one has to go down 3 stories, cross a long tunnel and again go up 3 stories. Has no character.
Date VisitSeptember 2015