Brussels Zaventem Airport

Review by (United States) 6th June 2015

This is an incredibly confusing airport. Check in was fine but the passage to the gates winds through poorly marked duty free stores. Security was also good but by the third time you have to ask yourself "where to now?" the frustration has built. If I had been in a hurry I would have become furious.

Review by (Belgium) 25th May 2015

Zaventem my home airport. Lots of nostalgic childhood memories because of the Sabena frequent flyer status of my father. Nowadays very nice check in lounge lots of good food drinking options Zaventem was and is Belgium's number one airport. The luggage pick up is still too slow. Smoking lounges too overcrowded and too small. But despite this few minor negative points Zaventem is a good organised clean airport its still the number one hub in Europe.

Review by (India) 13th May 2015

Brussels to Zurich - The first impression was a disorderly airport and long queues. Not a very appealing interior ill-planned layout of the airport makes you go up and down several times. Not many things to look for while waiting for the flight. This airport is clearly not at par with other European standard airports.

Review by (Netherlands) 11th May 2015

I flew from BRU on a transatlantic flight to New York. I arrived well in time but the Airport security had a 2 hour waiting line at the passport check. This meant that I almost missed my flight which was extremely frustrating. I cannot comprehend why this Airport is so incompetent in one of its main duties. I recommend flying out of AMS or DUS.

Review by (Belgium) 10th May 2015

I've read some of the critical reviews on this site and while Brussels airport is not the best airport I know I believe things have got better lately. The frequency of trains to and from the airport has increased some trains are still the old shuttle trains from Brussels but others are the very reasonable longer distance trains running through Belgium. The roadworks close to the airport are over. But more roadworks could be planned. The departure hall can be crowded but some low cost flights are now handled in a separate extension of the departure hall making room in the rest of the airport. The Schengen gates used to be accessible via a long underground tunnel with lots of escalators. These have gone now: there is a new 'connector' building that is much more pleasant to go to the A gates. The new shops toilets restaurants in the A gates area look nice some restaurants still close relatively early. The non-Schengen gates are less bright but the new connector building now also improves the transfer from A to C gates and vice-versa. On my last visit to the airport my luggage was on the luggage retrieval belt before I got there so zero wait. The arrival hall is still the low-ceiling area it used to be quite unwelcoming.

Review by (Belgium) 20th March 2015

1) Please stop continuously changing gates! On our most recent trip it was changed an unbelievable 5 times! 2) Invest in an adequate loudspeaker system. 3) The acoustic is from the dark ages. 4) Various areas are not covered by working loudspeakers. 5) Train the announcers to articulate to slow down. 6) Employ people with excellent foreign language skills or native speakers. 7) Install more info counters. 8) Learn from "top" airports.

Review by (United Kingdom) 22nd October 2014

As long as I live I will never get a connecting flight from this airport again nightmare of a journey from Gates A to B if your on a tight connecting flight expect to be running around. Expect very poor signage and awful attitude from airport staff and officials.

Review by (Belgium) 13th October 2014

I am a regular visitor of Zaventem Airport unfortunately because it is one of the worst airports in Europe. Traffic to the airport is a nightmare. Narrow and always blocked by never ending roadworks. Trains to the airport are dirty and at least 40 year old wrecks and you pay an horrendous price. Ticket area for trains is small dirty and always full with people queuing for the one single open sales point. (Machines do not accept foreign cards or credit cards.) Luggage delivery takes an average of 1.5 hours (yes 1.5 hours) almost a world record. Waiting time for the passport control can be up to 2 hours. The non-Schengen shopping area is almost non-existent. -Cleanliness and overall the state of maintenance is very poor. My advise go to Paris CDG. From there 1h 12m TGV to Brussels. That's much quicker as fighting yourself trough the Zaventem chaos.

Review by (Germany) 5th October 2014

I had the bad luck to spend 3 hours at EBBR in the transfer area. My connection flight to England with Brussels Airlines was delayed 2hrs which was actually good because the ways from the arrival gate to the departure gate B30 was a nightmare of a walk. After passing through yet another security land and yet another passport check (Schengen my butt) I had to walk another few kilometres to the gate in order to wait there for my flight. Being used to rather posh German airports the overall appearance of this airport was: a bland megalomaniac hellhole of gigantic boredom with everything outdated. Endless corridors to the gates and ending with dirty and tasteless seats in the waiting areas not to mention the toilets. It's like entering a 3rd-world country. If you are a smoker you'll appreciate the extremely sparse smoking areas. Very few bistros (I actually saw only one) that close very soon in the evening and a saddening mass of saddening vending machines top off the overall horrible experience with that airport. If I can avoid passing though EBBR I'll pay any amount of Euros to do so.

Review by (Canada) 30th September 2014

Worst airport visited. Long line up for immigration and no indication at all first line up 30 minutes then an airport staff member told us that we were at the wrong line we had headed to another line for international passengers even longer we spent 1 hour and 15 minutes to get through the immigration which was my flight departure time. Air Canada staff were kindly waiting for us at the last minute.
Terminal Cleanliness N/A