Tigerair

"staff went an extra mile"

Review by (Singapore)

Great Service. I was travelling Tigerair from DPS to SIN on flight TR2289, 31st August 2015. I had mild motion sickness on the particular flight. Just as I got to my seat the cabin crew came forward and asked me if I need anything, just to make sure I was alright. Tigerair staff went an extra mile to check on me every 10-15 minutes.
RouteDPS to SIN

Review by (Singapore)

I fly Tigerair 2 to 3 times a month on the Singapore to Saigon route. The flight leaves on time from SIN 99% of the time and from SGN maybe 95% of the time but always arrive on time. The staff are friendly and efficient, the plane is always clean though I wish they would update the in-flight magazine more often. If you want to eat anything, you need to pre-order. The food is okay but it's really not necessary to eat anything on such a short flight. Changi has plenty of good food. I used to fly VietJet but it has become such a horrible airline. I have no real complaints about Tiger. It's a good airline.
RouteSIN to SGN

Review by (Australia)

This was our first experience with Tigerair, and going by many reviews we were a bit trepidus especially as we were flying with a 5 month old baby. The experience however was very smooth and for a low cost airline, I really cannot fault them. The staff were professional and helpful at every point, boarding was smooth, the flights departed and arrived on time and baggage collection was simple. They obviously have a very quick turn around at each airport, so seats etc aren't spotless, but not disgraceful either. There are definitely no frills to the service, but we didn't expect them either - we get what we pay for. I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again if I was looking for a budget, straight forward flight.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteBrisbane to Melbourne

Review by (Australia)

We travelled MEL to SYD return last week and had the most appalling experience. Firstly, the access to Tigerair Terminal in Melbourne is long, no rails and wet and dirty surface. To navigate the narrow access takes at least 10 extra minutes, walking: no escalators, no moving path. This condition has lasted for the past 10 years we are told. And you always have to climb the steps to get to the plane, no connecting luxury. There was an unexplained delay with no apology, staff irritated when you ask the reason. The waiting rooms were overcrowded with three delayed flights customers, loud and littered with remnants of food and drinks. They would not return the ticket price if we decided not to wait. We are senior citizens and had to face a 3 hour delayed flight from SYD to MEL. We asked the reason for delay, they asked for our boarding passes, took down numbers and gave them back. When the flight was boarding, our boarding passes were taken away from us and new ones issued. They had row 30 on them. We could not believe it. We were told by the young woman at boarding desk that those places are better than the row 15 we had paid for, as the boarding and exit are quicker. No amount of reasoning could move her. The plane was full, there was no question of redistribution of weight. Fortunately, the cabin staff were more understanding, and as our health condition is not ideal, we got back our original seats which were empty anyway. But the experience spoiled our flight which was otherwise quite smooth.
RouteMEL to SYD

Review by (Vietnam)

That was the first time I'd flown with a low-cost airline and I felt a bit worried at first but everything ended up okay. The flight was smooth and nearly punctual. Staff was a bit cold but I had no problem about that. No food and beverages was served for free so better prepare your own. Overall I had a decent round trip SGN-SIN. I will consider flying with them again if possible.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Singapore
Date FlownJune 2015

Review by (Australia)

My 4pm flight from Melbourne to Adelaide was cancelled - due to a number of other delays throughout the day. The next available flight with Tigerair was 24 hrs later - which would have been fine if we didn't need to be in Adelaide the next morning! We found the staff very unhelpful - in fact they had a deadpan face whilst giving us this news. There was no apology. There was no attempt to find another alternative route by the airline. I just found them really unsympathetic. I understand that they probably had to deal with many irate customers prior to telling me this new s- but this is just not good enough. We ended up cancelling our tickets and getting our tickets on credit and made plans with Jetstar.
RouteMelbourne to Adelaide
Date FlownJuly 2015

Review by (Australia)

Brisbane to Adelaide on TT317 departed 4.50pm (local) arrived 6.50pm (local). Yes they police and enforce the carry-on limit but it works and allows for quick turnarounds. I took advantage of their new cabin+ which allowed me to bring on board up to 12kg. As I had pre-booked an exit row seat I had to counter check-in rather than use the self-serve kiosks but there was no waiting and quickly processed by friendly staff. At the gate, carry-on bags were being checked ad-hoc. Boarding was efficient and quick which allowed for an early departure. The aircraft was spotless and it was great to have cloth seats rather than the faux leather of Virgin. Yes its buy on board, but a good range of drinks and snacks were available. Very friendly cabin crew and great communication from the flight deck. It was actually the first time that I was asked if I needed assistance to place my bag in the overhead locker. Seat comfort no different to economy on Qantas, Virgin or Jetstar and in fact it seemed that the seats were wider than on the Qantas and Virgin 737's. Since being taken over by Virgin, Tiger certainly seemed to have improved and as long as you follow the rules concerning check in times and carry-on limits they provide quality safe air travel at quite reasonable prices when compared with Virgin and Qantas. You have to ask for the majority of flights in Australia under 3 hours, is the extra money to fly Qantas or Virgin for a complimentary muffin worth it. While Tiger only operate limited flights to/from Adelaide compared to Qantas and Virgin, I will certainly be happy to look at flying Tiger again if the price and flight times work.
RouteBrisbane to Adelaide
Date FlownJuly 2015

Review by (Australia)

MEL-HBA, turbulent flight and stressful because it was so cramped due to the need to put luggage in front-overheads space stolen! HBA-MEL flight much better. Tiger staff overall very friendly. Flights always good enough when there's not too many passengers. Comfort/assurance-wise nothing like Qantas, but for flights less than 2 hr Tiger is a very good option - best being the seat pitch is actually bigger than all other Aussie domestic flights.
RouteMelbourne to Hobart
Date FlownJune 2015

Review by (Taiwan)

This flight was operated by Tigerair Taiwan, and redeye flight was 80% full. Food is unique, all is Taiwanese local delight but portion was too small. Seat was almost same with other LCC like Jetstar Asia, Vanilla Air etc.
RouteTPE to DMK
Date FlownMay 2015

Review by (Singapore)

Tigerair seems to be very strict on carry on luggage weight of 7kg per person. I flew from Melbourne to Sydney in end of May and the ground crew actually made some of the passengers to take off their coats in the winter to weight the coat on top of the luggage to make sure it won't pass 7kg limit. I know this is a budget airline but I find it hard to believe that we had to take off coats and sweaters in the cold weather so they can weight it. Very bad impression on Tigerair. My previous good experience with the airline is totally gone now.