Tigerair

Review by (Australia)

We travelled MEL to SYD return last week and had the most appalling experience. Firstly, the access to Tigerair Terminal in Melbourne is long, no rails and wet and dirty surface. To navigate the narrow access takes at least 10 extra minutes, walking: no escalators, no moving path. This condition has lasted for the past 10 years we are told. And you always have to climb the steps to get to the plane, no connecting luxury. There was an unexplained delay with no apology, staff irritated when you ask the reason. The waiting rooms were overcrowded with three delayed flights customers, loud and littered with remnants of food and drinks. They would not return the ticket price if we decided not to wait. We are senior citizens and had to face a 3 hour delayed flight from SYD to MEL. We asked the reason for delay, they asked for our boarding passes, took down numbers and gave them back. When the flight was boarding, our boarding passes were taken away from us and new ones issued. They had row 30 on them. We could not believe it. We were told by the young woman at boarding desk that those places are better than the row 15 we had paid for, as the boarding and exit are quicker. No amount of reasoning could move her. The plane was full, there was no question of redistribution of weight. Fortunately, the cabin staff were more understanding, and as our health condition is not ideal, we got back our original seats which were empty anyway. But the experience spoiled our flight which was otherwise quite smooth.
RouteMEL to SYD
Date Flown24-08-2015

Review by (Vietnam)

That was the first time I'd flown with a low-cost airline and I felt a bit worried at first but everything ended up okay. The flight was smooth and nearly punctual. Staff was a bit cold but I had no problem about that. No food and beverages was served for free so better prepare your own. Overall I had a decent round trip SGN-SIN. I will consider flying with them again if possible.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Singapore
Date Flown22-06-2015

Review by (Australia)

My 4pm flight from Melbourne to Adelaide was cancelled - due to a number of other delays throughout the day. The next available flight with Tigerair was 24 hrs later - which would have been fine if we didn't need to be in Adelaide the next morning! We found the staff very unhelpful - in fact they had a deadpan face whilst giving us this news. There was no apology. There was no attempt to find another alternative route by the airline. I just found them really unsympathetic. I understand that they probably had to deal with many irate customers prior to telling me this new s- but this is just not good enough. We ended up cancelling our tickets and getting our tickets on credit and made plans with Jetstar.
RouteMelbourne to Adelaide
Date Flown13-07-2015

Review by (Australia)

Brisbane to Adelaide on TT317 departed 4.50pm (local) arrived 6.50pm (local). Yes they police and enforce the carry-on limit but it works and allows for quick turnarounds. I took advantage of their new cabin+ which allowed me to bring on board up to 12kg. As I had pre-booked an exit row seat I had to counter check-in rather than use the self-serve kiosks but there was no waiting and quickly processed by friendly staff. At the gate, carry-on bags were being checked ad-hoc. Boarding was efficient and quick which allowed for an early departure. The aircraft was spotless and it was great to have cloth seats rather than the faux leather of Virgin. Yes its buy on board, but a good range of drinks and snacks were available. Very friendly cabin crew and great communication from the flight deck. It was actually the first time that I was asked if I needed assistance to place my bag in the overhead locker. Seat comfort no different to economy on Qantas, Virgin or Jetstar and in fact it seemed that the seats were wider than on the Qantas and Virgin 737's. Since being taken over by Virgin, Tiger certainly seemed to have improved and as long as you follow the rules concerning check in times and carry-on limits they provide quality safe air travel at quite reasonable prices when compared with Virgin and Qantas. You have to ask for the majority of flights in Australia under 3 hours, is the extra money to fly Qantas or Virgin for a complimentary muffin worth it. While Tiger only operate limited flights to/from Adelaide compared to Qantas and Virgin, I will certainly be happy to look at flying Tiger again if the price and flight times work.
RouteBrisbane to Adelaide
Date Flown10-07-2015

Review by (Australia)

MEL-HBA, turbulent flight and stressful because it was so cramped due to the need to put luggage in front-overheads space stolen! HBA-MEL flight much better. Tiger staff overall very friendly. Flights always good enough when there's not too many passengers. Comfort/assurance-wise nothing like Qantas, but for flights less than 2 hr Tiger is a very good option - best being the seat pitch is actually bigger than all other Aussie domestic flights.
RouteMelbourne to Hobart
Date Flown08-06-2015

Review by (Taiwan)

This flight was operated by Tigerair Taiwan, and redeye flight was 80% full. Food is unique, all is Taiwanese local delight but portion was too small. Seat was almost same with other LCC like Jetstar Asia, Vanilla Air etc.
RouteTPE to DMK
Date Flown23-05-2015

Review by (Singapore)

Tigerair seems to be very strict on carry on luggage weight of 7kg per person. I flew from Melbourne to Sydney in end of May and the ground crew actually made some of the passengers to take off their coats in the winter to weight the coat on top of the luggage to make sure it won't pass 7kg limit. I know this is a budget airline but I find it hard to believe that we had to take off coats and sweaters in the cold weather so they can weight it. Very bad impression on Tigerair. My previous good experience with the airline is totally gone now.

Review by (Australia)

We flew BNE-MEL-BNE with an infant After reading all these reviews I was worried. No need to worry at all followed the rules was at the airport on time they did not weigh our cabin baggage they gave us an extra seat as the plane was not full. The staff were very kind to all parents with infants. Plane left and arrived on time both ways would fly them again.

Review by (Australia)

Today (1/5/2015) I was boarding a flight from Brisbane to Melbourne. Everyone was kind and the service was good. However upon boarding the aircraft we were informed by the pilot that one of the engines was not starting. We were on the tarmac unable to move for 2 hours before the pilot told us was had to leave the aircraft and other arrangements would be made. After a 9 hour delay with nothing given to us but 'complementary water' we were finally put on another aircraft no help whatsoever from the crew to get a different earlier flight. The one thing I do applaud this terrible airline is the fact that they were able to spot the engine failure whilst still on the ground and not whilst we were mid-flight. I would never fly Tiger again and would never recommend it to anyone I know. They need to step up their game a routine 2 hour flight turned into an 11 hour ordeal.
Value For Money N/A

Review by (Canada)

I traveled on Flight 218 from Melbourne to Sydney. The check in process went smoothly and the agent that assisted me was very friendly and that helped set the tone for a flight that was supposed to have been short and without incident. The flight was supposed to have been less than 90 minutes. I found out that Sydney Airport had closed due to inclement weather and that the fuel was low so the flight was diverted to Canberra. Absolutely no information was provided by the pilots or the cabin crew in Canberra as to when the flight would be back in the air or how long the ground delay would be for. I had told the cabin crew that I had to connect to an international flight and tried outlining steps that they could take such as requesting priority disembarkation/luggage collection and calling their ground reps in Sydney to see if assistance could be provided at the arrival gate for those that were traveling on connecting flights. Their response to me was "we understand and we'll do everything we can to help". After sitting in Canberra for well over 2 hours it became clear that I faced the very real possibility that I would miss my connecting flight. When the plane did land in Sydney I was left with a little over an hour to disembark run to baggage claim to get my luggage and transfer terminals in order to make my international connection. The flight did not arrive at a bridged gate. Instead passengers had to disembark by stairs and proceed up a single set of stairs into the concourse - I was sitting at the rear of the plane so you imagine what it's like walking behind more than a 100 other people because that's what happened to me. I was appalled upon getting to the concourse to find out that not a single Tigerair representative was around to meet the aircraft and offer help. In spite of me having clearly told the cabin crew that I was supposed to connect to an international flight and in spite of providing them with my departure time my luggage was one of the very last pieces to be removed from the plane. I then had to run to the train to the international terminal which I had to pay for and once there I ran straight for the Etihad Airways check in desk only to be told that the flight had already been closed and that it would not be possible to board. I had to watch the plane that was supposed to have brought me home push back and leave without me. I can understand that diversions and other unexpected circumstances can happen from time to time but after having been given the run-around after having been offered no legitimate help of any kind on the ground upon arrival in Sydney and after dealing with a flight crew that didn't have the least bit of sympathy for my situation and offered generic explanations instead of going out of their way to truly help me out I can assuredly say that I will never fly with Tigerair again!