Airline of the Year

SilkAir

"Lots of corporate double talk"

Verified Review | Recently I flew Silkair Cairns to Surabaya return via Singapore. On the Cairns to Singapore leg I was seated next to an obese person who intruded as much as 15cm into my seat. I had booked and paid for an exit row because of my height. I am 192cm, 90kg fit and healthy 71yo. I continually asked him to keep to his own seat but it was impossible for him. If he leaned forward his stomach forced his legs into my seat squab. He threatened to punch me. I reported the threat to the attendants and they spoke to him. I was offered a middle standard seat which I had to refuse because of my height. He could have easily been moved to the business section which was occupied by only one staff member passenger. I wrote to them asking for a FOC on only the CNS-SIN sector next time I fly to Eastern Indonesia but they offered a free exit seat CNS-SIN-CNS. Lots of corporate double talk and insincere apologies. If you buy a car and it has no motor you can ask for and get a replacement. I purchased a seat and only got 66% of it and I want a replacement.
RouteCairns to Surabaya via Singapore
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"a worthy and solid performer"

Verified Review | Singapore to Luang Prabang return in April, with a stopover in Vientiane on the outgoing leg to Laos. Second time on SilkAir this year and I was very pleased with the service to Luang Prabang. Check-in went without a hitch and boarding for the flight was quick as it was a low load on the Singapore to Vientiene sector. I was served a total of six times on my flight to Luang Prabang by a very cheerful bunch of cabin attendants - snacks, drinks, wine, meals desserts etc! The main meal of chicken pasta was alright but I wish they didn't skimp on the salad. Flight wasn't full so I had lots of room to stretch. Arrival in Luang Prabang was on time even with the slight delay in Vientiane. On the return flight it was a direct trip to Singapore without a stopover - this time round I think they were running short of wine as they only served this in a cup and didn't give out bottles. The main meal was seafood pasta, which was way better than the lunch I got. Once again, they skimped on the salad. Inflight entertainment was quirky and the app crashed a lot. Good thing that I got newspapers on both legs of the journey. All in all the cabin crew service was top notch and I really felt that they provided a great service. This airline does have room for improvement, but I can say that SilkAir is still quite a worthy and solid performer.
RouteSingapore to Luang Prabang via Vientiene

"a positive experience"

(Greece)

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Singapore on SilkAir. Departure on time. Plane was new a Boeing 737-800. Usb ports were available under the seat. Crew was polite. No snack was served during the 45 min. flight, only drinks. Onverall a positive experience both way in and out. Would fly again.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Singapore
Date FlownApril 2017

"cabin service exceeded my expectations"

Verified Review | Singapore - Penang - Singapore in late March and early April. SilkAir's cabin service exceeded my expectations. Boarding on both legs were orderly and efficient. On both the outbound and inbound flight we had some really friendly and cheerful cabin crew who'd go out of the way to help their passengers. Refreshments on the two flights were served as soon as the flights were airborne, and the sandwiches served were tasty. Seats on both flights were comfortable enough for the short one hour journey each way with sufficient pitch and width. Outgoing flight to Penang had a late departure but on time arrival, but the return flight left the gate ten minutes early and arrived in Singapore well ahead of schedule. If there's one area where I was dissatisfied it would be the inflight entertainment system which involves streaming content to mobile devices or computers. Android users (like myself) have to download the SilkAir IFE app in order to log on to the entertainment system, and by the time I got it running properly on the outbound flight the aircraft was ready to land. On the return flight the inflight entertainment app worked well for a while, until it started to crash while playing certain songs. All in all, I'm happy with the SilkAir experience, but I can't give them full marks for the IFE - I really hope they are able to make their inflight entertainment system more user-friendly in future.
RouteSingapore to Penang

"all around great"

Unverified | I flew from Phnom Penh to Singapore on SilkAir and it was all around great. The staff were friendly. One positive thing about is its seats, they feel soft and amazing legroom, and the food was very tasty. I had a tomato pasta with fish and it tasted very decent. Also the flight entertainment was enjoyable. The flight was very smooth and relaxing. I would recommend it.
RoutePhnom Penh to Singapore

"good in flight service"

Verified Review | Singapore to Yogyakarta. Very comfortable seats, only 31 inch pitch but seats are not thick so space between seats seems more than normal. Good in flight service, meal and drinks (beer and soft drinks etc. but no wine). Staff are professional and readily assist when needed. Overall good value and efficient airline.
RouteSingapore to Yogyakarta
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"in-flight services were very good"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | Surabaya to Singapore return. It was our first time flying SilkAir's newest Boeing 737-800. This new aircraft has Sky Interior design which is very beautiful and relaxing. Our flight to Surabaya took-off on time and landed ahead of schedule by 10 minutes. The ground staff at Changi International Airport was very helpful when she gave us assistance to use the Self Check-in kiosk for the first time. It was quite simple to use. After a few clicks you can print out your boarding pass as well as your luggage tag then you can proceed to the check-in counter to drop your luggage. However, we had a minor problem when we dropped our bags at the check-in counter, an agent told us only two out of three bags were registered. Then that agent helped us to recheck-in our three bags altogether. The in-flight services were very good and the meals had nice taste. Once we landed at Juanda International Airport, there was another minor problem with the baggage delivery. We were told our baggage would be delivered from carousel number 4 and waited for about 10 minutes before it then moved to carousel number 3 . Again, it took ages to get our bags delivered; there were approximately 10-15 minutes intervals to collect all the three luggage. It was not Silk Air's fault but the delivery system at Juanda which needs to be sorted out.
RouteSIN to SUB

"SilkAir comes up short"

Verified Review | Singapore to Coimbatore return. Check-in was efficient but the staff member was rather haughty in her dealings with us until she discovered our class of travel. A family travelling in Economy Class was rudely turned away from the Business Class line, leaving a bad impression. The SilverKris lounge in Terminal 3 was comfortable but unimpressive, though the staff were excellent. SIN-CJB flight was in SilkAir's newest Boeing 737-800 (9V-MGQ) and the flight back was in their oldest one (9V-MGA). The former was in a very good condition but the latter, despite being less than three years old, had many scuffs throughout the cabin. The service was not quite as polished as on Singapore Airlines, though this was because of the constraints of the hard product. The cabin crew were friendly and attentive, always ready to attend to the passengers while remaining unobtrusive. Meal service with a welcome drink and light snack before a three-course meal later in the flight. The meals were not as extravagant as those served by other airlines in Business Class, but were sufficient. I appreciated the small touches such as the festive cookies served with the snack and chocolates served after the main meal. The superb cabin crew were let down by the poor product. The seat, though spacious, had manual controls which seized up frequently. My seat (2A) did not recline at all. A tablet (an iPad on the outbound flight to CJB and a Lenovo on the return leg) was provided together with a pair of disposable earphones to access SilkAir's wireless IFE but the selection was paltry and the audio was drowned out by the ambient noise. Furthermore, the lack of a tablet holder made using the IFE system for prolonged periods difficult. With a price of almost SGD 2500 return per traveller, and given that several other airlines in the region (such as Dragonair, Qatar Airways and Malindo Air) have superior product and service onboard similar aircraft, SilkAir comes up short.
RouteSIN to CJB

"Very disappointing"

Verified Review | Singapore to Kunming. Very disappointing for a full service airline and not worth being called the regional wing of Singapore Airlines. Seats were very similar in space and comfort to budget carriers such as Jetstar. I am 190cm tall and my knees were really digging into the seat in front of me. Not what you would expect of a full service airline. Although the Boeing 737-800 was less than a year old, the seats were already showing signs of wear - greying and tattered. For a 4hr flight to Kunming this was almost unbearable. Food was also not up to standard. I would expect a full meal service from SilkAir on such a long flight. However the meal was very small and barely enough for this sector. There are only 2 toilets available for the 150-odd passengers in economy. Together with the slow meal service, this caused the rear of the aircraft to be constantly congested. I feel sorry for those seated in the vicinity of the toilet as they had to deal with people squeezing in the narrow aisle and eating into their already limited personal space. Inflight entertainment is also poor. Not only is there no in seat IFE, the wifi IFE system is also very limited in content. The content that it did have was not recent nor popular. Worst of all, the prices paid for the flight are full Singapore Airlines fares and that sours the whole experience. SilkAir is far from the standard of Singapore Airlines and that should not be the case.
RouteSIN to KMG
Date FlownDecember 2016

"substandard service from SilkAir"

Verified Review | Took Silkair from Okinawa to Singapore. Cabin crew was impatient, refused to pick up empty cups and food trays without wearing gloves and having trash bags with them. The 5 hour flight is on a small aircraft with only 2 washrooms. There is always a long queue. Cabin crew is very impatient with passengers who are in the queue. Food was insufficent and poor. Depart and return trip was almost identical. Chicken with rice, fish with potatoes. Very small quantities. Watermelon and pineapple was warm instead of cold. A budget airline or a full service airline with transit is better than getting substandard service from SilkAir.
RouteOKA to SIN