Top 100 Airlines

LAN Airlines

"all filled my expectations"

Verified Review | Santiago to Sydney via Auckland with LAN Airlines. I read some discouraging reviews before flying, but my experience was quite different. The check in was swift and efficient, departure on time both legs. I flew both ways with the new aircraft, the cabin crew was welcoming and polite. The toilets kept clean throughout the flight, and entertainment system kept us busy. The downside was the food, during such a ling flight you would expect to receive two hot meals, but for the breakfast we received only a small warm sandwich. It would be nice if during the flight also some snacks will be provided. Otherwise all filled my expectations will fly LAN again.
RouteSCK to SYD via AKL
Date FlownApril 2016

"comfort of seats is very poor"

(Belgium)

My boyfriend and I went on a trip to Peru and choose to fly with LAN Airlines. From Madrid to Lima we had a 2 hour delay because of technical problems with the plane. When we arrived in Lima, we heard that they had lost 80 pieces of luggage - ours included. A couple of weeks later, we flew back from Lima to Madrid. Guess what? Again technical problems. Again a 2 hour delay and we missed our connected flight because of this. They dont give much information, the service is very poor. The comfort of seats is also very poor if you compare them with other companies for the same price.
RouteMAD to LIM
Date FlownApril 2016

"they did not disappoint"

I've always wanted to fly on a Dreamliner, and LAN Airlines was the cheapest option for me flying from Madrid to Frankfurt. I had done research prior to booking and had high expectations of LAN. They did not disappoint. Boarding was very efficient and we departed 5 minutes behind schedule which wasn't a big issue for me. The IFE is the best I have used. The cabin was airy and you can tell this as soon as you step on board. The crew were very friendly and welcoming. The complimentary snack service was a bonus. A ham roll and a chocolate bar as well as a drink. The seat was comfortable, although I had a slight issue with the back rest. I would highly recommend LAN Airlines.
RouteMAD to FRA
Date FlownMarch 2016

"stranded with little help"

Departed on time, just before landing at CUZ we were informed that the airport was closed due to an aircraft incident there. We returned to Lima. We were told the flight would be cancelled until the next day. After 2 hours wait, we were given a hotel and taxi voucher. However, it transpired that the flight would not be re-instated the next day. No seats were available for the next few days. We were left in the hotel, stranded with little help and only one nights hotel voucher. Our South American tour schedule was now at risk. LAN were unhelpful and told us only our booking agent could rebook seats, but there weren't any seats anyway. The only way we got out of Lima was to buy new tickets with another airline. Something that LAN could have done for us. Bear in mind, we already boarded and took off, so technically we were still in transit, we set off but were never taken to destination. The flight and cabin crew were friendly and on board everything was fine, however, the ground organisation of LAN leaves a lot to be desired.
RouteLIM to CUZ
Date FlownMarch 2016

"will get a very old aircraft"

Verified Review | After taking two more South American flights with LAN after incident reported here with loss of my suitcase etc, I can safely say LAN has a problem. The flight attendants are very friendly and the food is not bad, but ground staff is not helpful, arrogant and indifferent. But what is more worrying is that this airline is frantically buying new planes but sends its very old ones to the Lima, Bogota or Quito based local airlines. So from Lima to Miami I had a very very old 767. From seat 1A the toilet smell was pretty strong and unpleasant. So while you will travel in a lovely Boeing 787 (to USA, Australia, Europe or Brazil) if you depart Santiago, if you depart Lima or Bogota you will get a very old aircraft. The business class seat on the 767 was extremely uncomfortable, one of the worst ever.
AircraftBoeing 767-300 ER
RouteLIM to MIA

"avoid them if you can"

Verified Review | Bogota to Sao Paulo via Santiago. Do not trust LAN Airlines with your luggage. Good-ish service on board complete destroyed by ground staff who lied when she said my bag was onboard a connecting flight and then by ground staff in Santiago who assured me it was on its way to São Paulo and would be delivered two hours ago. I missed a meeting, I have all my business clothes in there, perhaps lost for good, and I am stuck. LAN would not even give you a toothbrush to cover a little bit for losing your bag. Never ever again will travel with them. I travelled business and I am an emerald card holder of Oneworld (BA) and they treat my bag like this. I can imagine how they would treat someone travelling in economy. Avoid them if you can.
AircraftBoeing 767 / 787
RouteBOG to GRU via SCL

"overall pleasant experience"

Verified Review | Sydney to Auckland with LAN. Able to check-in and choose seats online, but you would still need to go to the desk for boarding pass even with carry on only. Service was efficient, and frequent flyer privileges (such as express lane) was honoured despite being in economy class ( Often no longer the case in some other One World airlines at SYD). The cabin was lovely and fresh, but the seats were uncomfortably narrow. Seat pitch is tight but adequate for my (below-average) height. Service was friendly. AVOD screens are large and responsive, and there was a good choice of entertainment. The only disappointment was the food - the flight goes right through lunch time (4 hour flight taking off around 11am), yet we were served a small, stale sandwich and a small piece of cake - well below par of most full-service airlines. Nevertheless, an overall pleasant experience. The flight arrived 30 minutes early.
RouteSYD to AKL

"friendly crew"

Flew Buenos Aires to Ushuaia with LAN Airlines. On-time departure and arrival. Friendly crew. Comfortable seats. Even though Aerolineas operates on this route more frequently than LAN, the good service and on time punctuality more than make up for the lack of flight frequency between these 2 cities. Would recommend.
RouteEZE to USH

"no better choice"

LAN Airlines from Madrid to Frankfurt. Fantastic price / quality ratio. Check-in, Iberia lounge in Terminal 4S and boarding - all fine. Business Class roughly 70% full, standard welcome procedures with Champagne (Louis Roederer) etc. like an intercontinental flights. The new 787 has all the features you require in 2016. Hot towels are offered before they start the light lunch service. LANs pride is the wine selection - in addition to Champagne there are three red choices, two from Chile, one from Bordeaux, plus two white ones (Chardonnay from Mendoza/Argentina and a Sauvignon Blanc from Casablanca Valley in Chile) plus a Porto LBV as a "dessert wine". For a business flight of slightly more than two hours this is like paradise - at least for the wine fans. The food itself is a cold snack, pleasantly prepared and delicious. IFE available, but I watched only the airshow, so no marks on entertainment. Departure and arrival on-time, baggage arrived relatively soon on the carousel, at least for Frankfurt standards. If the departure and arrival times - afternoon out of Madrid, early evening out of Frankfurt, suit you there is no better choice than LAN.
RouteMAD to FRA
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"attentive and friendly staff"

Mexico City to Lima with LAN Airlines, and a good experience with this airline. Two checked bags for free. Good food and wine. I got three glasses and a scotch for free. Very nice! Great entertainment options. Tons of movies available. Good attentive and friendly staff. Flight was on time.
RouteMEX to LIM