Best Cabin Crew

LAN Airlines

"crew extremely friendly"

(Hong Kong)

I flew Auckland to Sydney with LAN Airlines. It was my first flight on a Boeing 787 and I was impressed by the level of confort. The bigger windows with electronic shadowing is a very good difference. The entertainment is pretty good but they should increase the number of language versions. For example a documentary in the "business" session was only in Portuguese. The breakfast was not the best but fine. The cabin crew extremely friendly and with a positive mood. I would not mind to fly with them on a longer flight to fully test their product.
RouteAKL to SYD
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"good legroom and comfortable"

Efficient check-in including assistance for flight from Ezeiza to Santiago with LAN Airlines. Boarding was good with priority groups entry onboard. Seats in overwing exit rows with good legroom and comfortable. Onboard service satisfactory to class offered. No issues on arrival and claiming baggage. Onboard team pleasant and approachable. Wifi onboard with possibility to connect with inflight entertainment - great idea.
RouteEZE to SCL

"onboard team professional"

Flew LAN Airlines from Lima Jorge Chavez to Montevideo Carrasco via Santiago. Priority check-in offered with efficient service including two ticket check-ins on whole route. Lounge access in LIM and SCL, both with good area to relax and grab some refreshments. Boarding in priority groups. Seats in 1A and 2A comfortable with middle seat free in premium economy (in some of the european airlines this is called business class). Onboard team professional and friendly. Food quality and drinks very good. Wifi onboard with possibility to connect with inflight entertainment - great idea.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLIM to MVD via SCL

"deliberate, extreme rudeness"

Santiago to Sydney via Auckland. My husband and I have flown internationally with LAN on three occasions, and each time our flight has been delayed - twice by 5 hours, and once by 16 hours! On each occasion, we have found LAN ground staff to be unhelpful and uncommunicative. On the most recent occasion, we were told that the delay was due to the fact that there were 50 more passengers booked on the flight than the plane they were using could accommodate. The ground staff's attempts at resolving the problem were a display of incompetence, and the whole process turned into an absolute debacle. Although several of the ground staff could speak fluent English, they refused to communicate or make announcements in any language other than Spanish (despite the fact that the majority of passengers on the flight were English-speaking Australians and new Zealanders). This has also been the case during our previous experiences with LAN ground staff. When my husband and I attempted to board, we were told to join a queue of 'rejected' passengers and wait for our fate to be decided. When we eventually reached the front of the queue, I asked that we be allocated seats next to each other. This appeared to enrage the staff member allocating seats, as she pushed us aside and proceeded to completely ignore us, continuing to allocate seats to people who had been in the queue behind us. When we tried to get her to communicate with us, she continued to ignore us, and laughed and joked with a person she was speaking to on the phone. By this time, there was almost nobody left in the queue, and I was becoming extremely distressed and anxious. This only appeared to cause the staff member further amusement. Eventually, my husband managed to get the attention of another ground staff member, who came and took over the computer and allocated us two seats within a few seconds. We boarded the by now almost-full plane only to find that the new seats we had been allocated were already occupied, and the only empty seats were the two that we had originally been allocated! I have never before, as a customer, encountered such deliberate and extreme rudeness, nor such incompetence. I would certainly not recommend flying internationally with LAN unless there is absolutely no alternative.
RouteSCL to AKL via SYD
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"fly with LAN again"

(Poland)

Very good product offered on this LAN Airlines domestic flight from Santiago to Calama. No delays despite both flights being full. There are small snacks and beverages served. Beautiful views over the Andes. They have also LAN entertainment offered on this flight which was nice and worked well. You have to download the app before the flight. Flown also on international sector from EZE to SCL in premium economy and again very good product you will no longer get on most European airlines. Will definitely fly with LAN again.
RouteSCL to CJC

"never fly LAN again"

A month before my flight from Auckland to Sydney with LAN Airlines I called the Contact centre to order a special meal. I ordered a vegan meal, and then they sent me a new itinerary with the updated information. However when I got it I realised that it said I ordered vege lacto-ovo (meaning vegetarian with dairy and eggs, which is not vegan at all) so I called again and told them they had made a mistake. They denied and said that they did order a vegan meal, so I assumed it was a typo. On the flight they served me a meal that clearly had scrambled eggs, a tub of dairy yoghurt and some dairy milk. I told the crew that I had ordered a vegan meal, but they simply told me that they didn't even know what vegan was. I told them that it was like vegetarian but without dairy and eggs, and they replied that my meal was the best they had. They also looked at my order sheet and told me it did not say vegan on it. The crew were nowhere near as friendly as the crew from other airlines I have flown. They seem to favour passengers who can speak Spanish (which I understand is easier to talk to them, but they literally acted completely different to non-Spanish passengers). I will never fly LAN again, and if their website states they have vegan meals then maybe their staff should know what it is too.
RouteAKL to SYD
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"families are regularly split up"

In 4 flights over 5 weeks with LAN Airlines from Santiago to Sydney via Auckland, 3 had problems. Space between seats is not adequate, families are regularly split up in the plane. We were bumped off a flight at the gate, despite having a boarding pass and lied to - plane overweight, we were last on (we booked 3 months earlier and checked in on time), we didn't even have luggage. My wife flew the last flight with a broken leg, staff in Santiago directed us to 4 different locations, before we could access a wheelchair. We were asked repeatedly "can't she just walk" She had a broken leg - we were reduced to wheeling her on a luggage trolley. When we did get a chair we were assured she would be collected and delivered to the plane. My children and I left to pass customs, my wife was forgotten by LAN staff. Left in a deserted terminal until she was able to call to a passerby for assistance - 20 minutes after the collection time. Despite cabin staff giving further assurance about organising a chair to greet us on arrival - no such request was made.
RouteSCL to SYD via AKL
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"I was bumped and leant on"

Flew LAN Airlines from Santiago, Chile to Lima, Peru and it was by far the worst flight I have been on. When I arrived at the airport to check-in I found out that they had changed my seat. I'm a taller guy so I need more leg room. They put me in the last seat on the aisle next to the bathrooms. Right in front of me was a teenager that had flight sickness and next to me on both sides were crying babies. At the same time I was bumped and leant on, I asked to be moved to another seat and the only ones available were the business class seats and I had to pay $350 to move. Now I'm back in Lima, Peru trying to fly back to Chile and they changed my flight due to delays (been sitting at the airport for 9 hours) and I attempted to try to get on an earlier flight, which by the way they had available seats, but they wouldn't bump me to that flight. Never again will I fly with LAN Airlines.
RouteSCL to LIM
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"the reward downgrade for us"

Travelling LAN Airlines back from Lima to London Heathrow via Madrid with the family in Business, the flight had a technical issue so all passengers offloaded. 4 hours later we take off and for the first leg Lima to Madrid no hot food as they have offloaded that as well - 10 hours later they serve breakfast not even sparkling mineral water. On arrival in Madrid missed connection and LAN then rebook us on a British Airways flight - but in economy not in business. So after not having any food for 11 hrs, the reward downgrade for us from our original booking class The best news the luggage had a better journey than us.
RouteLIM to MAD
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"we wanted to buy better seats"

We tried to select our seats many days in advance in all three LAN Airlines planes we had to take. It was impossible to select or buy our seats in flight 600 to LAX, because the website wasn't working to select seats for this flight. We called LAN and they said they said that the website was working. We also tried to buy better seats on the phone, but they also said that we had to buy them only (which it was impossible). After many communications with them, they checked in for us (without asking for that) with different seats (35B-35C) in the flight LA600 that were different from the ones they informed us on the phone (30B-20C). Finally, we could get better seats at the counter in Cordoba. But their customer service is completely evasive and sometimes rude. Also, we made our reservation some months ago with flight LA952 at 5:00 pm from Cordoba to Santiago, and then the company changed this flight leaving at 12:00pm which caused that we had to stayed in a hotel in Cordoba and spend 8 hours in Santiago. We bought LA 952 at 5:00 pm because it was convenient for us, otherwise we would not buy that combination of flights! Also, the seats in Boeing 787 are very narrow and short, that is why we wanted to buy better seats!
RouteCOR to LAX via LIM