China Airlines

Review by (Japan)

China Airlines delayed flight by over 14 hours, which kept me at TPE over 15 hours. Prior to flight, I was notified of the delay and I attempted to call China Airlines telephone numbers in different countries so I could make a flight change to the next day and avoid the extreme layover in TPE. None of the phones were answered in any country. I tried using Expedia to contact China Airlines. They also attempted over six different locations but China Airlines do not answer the call. I finally gave up, flew to TPE, and stayed in the airport for 15 hours. I asked China Airlines to provide an overnight hotel in TPE, but they refused that request. This is totally unsatisfactory as a customer and in the future, I will make every effort to use another airline.
RouteBKK to OKA via TPE

China Airlines customer review

Review by (United States)

Always 1 hour late! I took 4 flights with them in August. The first second and third flights were 1.5 hours late. The last flight was 3 hours late with no explanation. If tardiness is an issue for you when flying, do not fly China Airlines
RouteLAX to DPS via TPE

Review by (Taiwan)

Originally our flight was on August 9th from Taipei to Hong Kong and connecting flight to Haikou via Dragonair. However due to the Typhoon it was not only chaotic at the airport but many of the flights were cancelled or delayed including ours. We let the ground staff know that this would be a problem as it meant we wouldn't be able to catch our connecting flight. They were extremely helpful and able to arrange for the 3 of us to fly directly from Taipei to Sanya instead. Very grateful that they managed to solve our problem efficiently.
RouteTPE to SYX

Review by (Taiwan)

Check in was fast and staff was helpful. The seat was narrow for a guy around 170 cm. However the recline angle was good to sleep. The cabin staff was nice and try to look after passengers during the flight. The food was fair, but the quantity was enough for an adult. Overall, I enjoy this flight and it met my needs.
RouteTaipei to Osaka

Review by (Taiwan)

Hiroshima to Taipei return. Staff on the plane and ground were helpful and friendly. I found the seats reasonably comfortable. The food was good and we were supplied with as much water and tea as we wanted.
RouteTPE to HIJ

Review by (China)

Shanghai Pudong-Taipei Taoyuan on brand new B777-300ER, ground service handled by China Eastern Airlines which was a disaster. Flight delayed 1.5hrs which is very normal in China. 3-4-3 layout of economy is so uncomfortable even for this short journey, normally airline put 3-3-3 layout such as SQ/CX/BR. Food is ok, only coffee and tea available, even no juice. AVOD is very good.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RoutePVG to TPE

China Airlines customer review

Review by (United States)

Traveled through Taipei one day after a typhoon, flight CI6. China Airline staff, normally on top of things, were flat-out paralyzed. Nobody was in charge, desks were barely staffed, flights were moved between gates w/o notice. Stewardesses complained they had been stuck 15-20 hours without any information as to what they were to do or when. Our plane was "delayed", then "cancelled", then "on time". "We have no flight crew available". Suddenly there was a big rush to board the plane about 1.5 hrs after scheduled takeoff, then we sat at the gate for over 4 hours, "wait for more passengers." After having crammed every seat, the plane left the gate only to sit on the runway for another 1.5 hours. Finally got off. First meal was cold. Nobody could make any decision, they all milled around. Very poor crisis management, and utter failure to have a plan.
RouteBangkok to Los Angeles via Taipei

Review by (Taiwan)

The services of China Airlines ground and cabin crew are good, staff are nice. The cabin seats were clean and comfortable and aircraft looked new. It provided variety movies for passengers. The cabin crew served drinks and hot meal. The flight departed on time and whole flight was stable and nice.
RouteTaipei to Tokyo Narita

Review by (Canada)

Not the first time I've flown China Airlines and I had mixed emotions about this particular trip. Departed from BKK-TPE-CTS and returning KIX-TPE-BKK. My family and I myself got upgraded to Business Class during the KIX-TPE sector which made it more comfortable for those 2.5 hrs. Meals were awesome but maybe a bit too spicy for and flight attendants were active. IFE and seats were pretty old but fine for short haul trip. The one thing to keep in mind when travelling with China Airlines is that delays are pretty common. All of my flights with them from the start have never been on time. BKK-TPE the flight was half-full but we still left BKK 45 minutes late. TPE-CTS, KIX-TPE, TPE-BKK ground handling became the reason for the delays. CI130 arrived CTS 45 minutes late. CI173 left KIX 30 minutes late and arrived TPE an hour late. CI65 left TPE/arrived BKK an hour late. CI has got to work on their on-time performance. Pick longer layovers (3-4 hrs) at TPE if you do have a connecting flight to avoid missing the flight or your luggage missing the connection.
AircraftBoeing 737/747 & A340-300
RouteBangkok to Sapporo via Taipei

China Airlines customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

I had a very mixed experience with CI. Firstly, checking in online went well and I was able to choose a good seat. However that's about where it ended as in the seats opposite me there were 3 young women who asked for alcohol at every opportunity and started abusing other passengers and the crew. To do the crew justice, half way through the night they decided this had gone on long enough and called more senior staff who refused them any more drinks and moved the people most affected and apologised to to the rest of us. I would have loved to move but the flight was full and I understand there is not much they could do and people just sometimes behave badly. I can't say the crew were unfriendly or rude. I would say though that the food was really not good at all. I asked for the rice dish for breakfast thinking it would be better than the alternative but I was not impressed and I was pleased I had taken some snacks on board with me. I also found the entertainment disappointing and could not get the sound loud enough to hear anything. Overall I would fly CI again but would just accept that the catering is not wonderful or would order a special meal
RouteAmsterdam to Bangkok