China Airlines

Review by (United States) 14th June 2015

The seats are definitely not geared for Western heights and weights. My husband was tortured with no legroom for 13 hours. It was just not comfortable. Might be ok under 5 hour flights but for long distance travel its brutal. The staff were accommodating. Food was pretty bad and I actually didn't know what some of the items that were served. I left a lot. Not sure I'd fly this airline again because of the cramped uncomfortable seating. That's really all they have to offer.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteSan Francisco to Saigon via Taipei

Review by (Brazil) 27th May 2015

I took a flight from São Paulo to Madrid (headed to Beijing) during the Christmas holidays. The flight was at least an hour late and the attendants had no information it was late. The food was not very good and looked a bit old. The attendants were friendly but hard to communicate with. I think the worst part were the passengers there were families with a lot of luggage who made a lot of noise screamed from one seat to another changed seats all the time. The bathroom was beyond filthy. It's probably worth to pay a bit more on a clean flight not to have to put up with this for over ten hours.

Review by (Indonesia) 25th May 2015

I flew from Jakarta to JFK via Taipei where I changed planes. First time I was flying on China Airlines. The route to JFK had a short stop over in Hong Kong. Business class was not full. The business class seats from JKT to Taipei was okay. The plane (Taipei - JFK) was new and seat was comfortable. Flat reclining (almost). In flight entertainment was average. Flight attendants were attentive. One the return flight (JFK to Taipei) business flight was full and service was sketchy. Flight attendants did not seem to be able to understand English. They also "disappeared" after the first meal - i.e. just did not bother to check on needs or offer snacks. You needed to go to the kitchen and help yourself. Meals were average and quantity was small. Overall I flew because the business class deal was very good and it was good value for money. May probably do it again if the price differential remains.

Review by (Indonesia) 25th May 2015

Review by (Germany) 22nd May 2015

Economy flight April 15 from Beijing to Chengdu (PEK-CTU). Flight was on time fully booked up. I was the only western guy. Chinese pax loaded with tons of bags and suitcases (never heard of checking it in?) terrible chaos to find a place for all this bags bags scattered all of the plane in the overhead compartment. No way for this on a western airline. Seat legroom very very small seating comfort not available (hard as stone). Small breakfast (some kind of filled bread roll muffin) and 2 times beverages (coffee tea water juices). Standard behavior of flight attendants. I will never fly economy on a Chinese domestic flight.

Review by (Germany) 22nd May 2015

Economy flight April 15 from Chengdu to Beijing (CTU-PEK). Flight was on time fully booked up. I was the only western guy. Chinese pax loaded with tons of bags and suitcases (never heard of checking it in??!!) terrible chaos to find a place for all this bags bags scattered all of the plane in the overhead compartment. No way for this on a western airline. Seat legroom small seating comfort a little bit better than on the outgoing flight. Dinner was served (rice with chicken some sort of cake) and 2 times beverages (coffee tea water juices). Wasn't that bad. Standard behavior of flight attendants. Nevertheless I will never fly economy on a Chinese domestic flight again.

Review by (New Zealand) 20th May 2015

PVG-FRA on A330. Flight was delayed an hour; heading to the gate it still wasn't ready for boarding in the end we left 2.5 hrs late. Seats are ostensibly lie flat but not entirely comfortable. Meals were variable: if you're not a fan of pork or seafood order a special meal. Crew tried to speak the menu options but their English language skills aren't up to the task-just give us the menu please. Since I was going to miss my connection in FRA I was asking the crew what I should do-since there was no indication that CA staff would protect us on other flight options. In the end an excellent Lufthansa service desk agent fixed the mangled booking from CA coached the CA station manager on how to reissue the ticket so she could accept my bag and give me a boarding card.

Review by (United States) 18th May 2015

I flew RT from LAX to Delhi with a flight change in Beijing. The food was horrible throughout. We had requested vegetarian meals and they served us a speck of what looked like boiled vegetables that came straight out of a can. The airline staff were not very helpful either. "We only have two choices veg or non-veg" was their answer to my complaint. A neighboring passenger had the same reaction as mine when they requested vegetarian food and like me they didn't touch the food that was served. We were starving throughout the nearly 24 hour flight time from LA to Delhi. The in-flight entertainment too left much to be desired. It was dated poor selection and you really had to struggle with the seat-consoles to get them to display what you want. Horrible experience overall but luckily they didn't lose my luggage. My first and likely the last time to fly with Air China. It's definitely worth the extra $50 or so to buy a ticket on a decent airline that flies the same route.

Review by (New Zealand) 11th May 2015

Return flight Penang-Taipei in economy. Aircraft very old and aircon leaked no PTV seating uncomfortable food fair (a cooked meal). Cabin crew on outward flight fairly friendly but on return flight unfriendly. No flight information supplied. Flight only four hours plus so bearable.