Airline of the Year

China Airlines

"A very reasonable fare"

Verified Review | A very reasonable fare from Singapore to Taipei. The cabin was clean, cabin crew was very courteous. Foods served onboard are great. My only complaints are the movie selections. The length of the legroom is reasonable for Economy Class, you get what you paid for. Would travel with them again.
RouteSingapore to Taipei
Date FlownDecember 2016

"would fly with them again"

Verified Review | New York JFK to Taipei. One of the best in flight experiences that I have had. The cabin was spotless. Sheets for sleeping. Excellent meals and in flight service. Bathrooms spotless during the flight. Excellent snacks and in flight entertainment. Great privacy, only one seat by each window and unique pods. Loved it and would fly with them again. Lounge at JFK only thing not great.
RouteNew York JFK to Taipei
Date FlownMarch 2017

"the service is horrible"

(Taiwan)

Verified Review | Denpasar to Taipei. Late departure, premium economy is a shame. The service is horrible and the food was a complete disaster. It was definitely my last time traveling with China Airlines. Comparing to différent airlines, China Airlines are very far away from the quality standard. The multimedia service is terrible, old movie, bad quality screen, some of documentary are from 2000.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteDenpasar to Taipei
Date FlownApril 2017

"worst airline I've ever flown"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Denpasar via Taipei. Worst airline I've ever flown. This is the first time in my life where I was forced to check in a small carry-on, even though it weighed less than 10kg, then it was "lost" and never recovered. I spent my entire vacation without my clothes, calling the airline and the airport every day, and never got a single straight answer. They were incredibly unhelpful in trying to find my bag and have not found it in over a week. Aside from that, the seats are rather uncomfortable and meals less than average. On one of the flights they ran out of drinks within the first hour. The only saving grace is that there is in-flight entertainment with a good selection of movies.
RouteSan Francisco to Denpasar via Taipei

"Terrible customer service"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Singapore via Taipei. Terrible customer service. I had booked my tickets 2.5 months before my travel date and was only just contacted 3 weeks before I was due to leave through Expedia saying that there had been a change in my itinerary. My returning flight from SFO-TPE-SIN now had an 8-hr layover instead of a 2-hr layover because China Airlines was no longer operating their morning flight that I had previously selected. Despite my many calls to Expedia to mediate this with China Airlines over a week and a half, no appropriate options were given. China Airlines would give me a full refund, but not reimburse me for the higher ticket fares that I would incur since I would be booking just 3 weeks before my date. After exhausting every option I had, I had no choice but to accept the 8-hr layover in TPE. Their inability to provide any suitable options makes me regret that I ever chose China Airlines. This was going to be my first time traveling with them, and because of this frustrating situation, its left me not ever wanting to choose China Airlines. Their poor customer service and unwillingness to satisfy the paying customer is why I will never again fly with China Airlines.
RouteSFO to SIN via TPE
Date FlownApril 2017

"a very pleasant experience"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | A very reasonable fare from Tokyo to Hong Kong via Taipei on business class. I had flown this sector last year in March, now it is as good. Very courteous service and delicious food. Plane clean and IFE is decent with enough choices to keep one occupied. Transfer at Taipei, although a very close call of 30 minute due to delay from Tokyo, Hong Kong flight was held for the 4 of us from Tokyo, that was a very kind gesture! We had to run to the next gate though. The cabin crew were helpful to assist in settling us down with cold drink and hot towel. Upon arrival in HKG, our luggage did not make it due to the very quick transfer. However, on the next day, it was delivered back to my home with abundant apology. All in all, a very pleasant experience despite the hiccups.
RouteTokyo to Hong Kong via Taipei
Date FlownMarch 2017

"food and service were fine"

(South Korea)

Verified Review | Flew Seoul Incheon - Taipei, CI 163/162 and return. CI 163 was late departing Taipei by 45 minutes, so we left ICN about an hour and a half late as well. The return flight was right on time with no problems. I purchased an economy sale ticket, but was allowed to select a business class seat in the upper deck when buying the ticket for TPE-ICN. At online check in (T-24), a seat in the upper deck ICN-TPE was available for selection. There were two different kinds of seats. ICN-TPE was very very old recliner seat with old, old AVOD in the armrest (Exit Row).TPE-ICN was a newer shell seat that was not lie-flat. The food and service were fine. It was economy service with one tray of food and no special business treatment. I would not purchase these tickets for business, but would gladly pay economy and take the free seat upgrade.
RouteSeoul to Taipei
Date FlownMarch 2017

"aircrafts have been improved dramatically"

Verified Review | Flew San Francisco to Yangon via Taipei. I've been flying China Airlines for almost 2 decades. Their cabin services, lounge services and aircrafts have been improved dramatically in the recent years. With the new B777s and A350s, their hard products are phenomenal. English among crew has been steadily improving, but is still long way to go. Foods served onboard are great, especially, the flights originated in TPE. Cabin cleanliness is impeccable as crew clean up almost every 10-15 mins. For business class, they clean right after someone uses. I have flown their economy, premium economy and premium business products. They all deserve a high rating according to what you pay for.
AircraftBoeing 77W
RouteSFO to RGN via TPE
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"terrible legroom"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Taipei to Auckland via Brisbane with China Airlines. Very nice and attentive cabin crew. Terrible legroom. Small screens monitors and not lot a large choice of movies and tv shows. No power sockets or Wi-Fi. Food choices were very limited (Asian food). Very thin blankets. Cabin and toilets were tidy during the flight. The stop in Brisbane is ok but you have to go again to security control (not the airline's fault, of course). Boarding in Brisbane was a little confusing (transit mixed with local passengers and the waiting room at the gate has a few seats).
RouteTaipei to Auckland via Brisbane
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"check-in wasn't very nice or professional"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Flew China Airlines from Auckland to Taipei via Brisbane. Check-in wasn't very nice or professional, firstly they couldn't find the reservation on the system even when giving the e-ticket number. Secondly they said I needed to show my outbound airline ticket from Hong Kong. It seems to be a Hong Kong requirement but they only tell you that at check in that if you don't have it then you can't board. The A330 had very narrow legroom, the IFE had a small screen and movie choices, blankets were very thin, no wi-fi, no power outlets. Very nice cabin crew, food was basic (no mineral water if you asked for a glass).
RouteAuckland to Taipe via Brisbane