China Airlines

"look forward to traveling "

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Denpasar via Taipei. I have not flown yet my trip will be this December 2017 to go see my daughter who is giving birth to my first grand baby. I have not flown overseas for a very long time so I wanted to make a good decision on the selection of the airline. When I called the 800-number I experienced exceptional customer service. In the past when I've called other airlines I get this feeling that I should be asking all the questions online and that I am bothering them. The woman was very polite, took her time with me, answered all her questions and made me feel important. Thank you for going the extra mile and I look forward to traveling on your airline in a few months. I'm expecting that part of it to go well as well.
RouteLos Angeles to Denpasar via Taipei
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"flight attendants were hard to fault"

Verified Review | I flew the first leg from Newcastle to Amsterdam on KLM. Crucially both flights I took with China Airlines departed on-time. From Amsterdam to Taipei I flew on a more-or-less brand new Airbus A350 which was very modern, clean and comfortable. From Taipei to Nanchang was on a Boeing 737 which served its purpose for a short flight. The flight attendants were hard to fault on both flights given they were quick to respond to calls and very polite. The meal options were fine but I didn't like the fact they only had Chinese snacks available at the galley. However there was a full bar service throughout the flight and they were happy to keep serving both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks throughout the flight. Aside from the issue with snacks, the only other in-flight issue I had was with the entertainment system not having quite the range of audio and movie options of airlines like Emirates. The only seriously negative issue I had was the transit experience at Taipei Airport with the security area being far too small and lacking staff members meaning long queues. Also Taipei airport terminal 1 departures area was lacking in international dining and shopping options, which is disappointing given Taipei Taoyuan is supposed to be one of Asia's major hubs. However based on my overall experience I will happily fly China Airlines again.
AircraftA350 and Boeing 737
RouteNewcastle to Nanchang via Amsterdam and Taipei
Date FlownAugust 2017

"staff were helpful and polite"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to San Francisco return via Taipei. The ground staff were helpful and polite. The cabin crews might be one of the best , during my return flight (SFO - TPE) there was a passenger who got airsickness and crew handled the incident very well. For the food it was also nice. The price is very reasonable.
RouteKuala Lumpur to San Francisco via Taipei

"Service was very poor"

Verified Review | Manila to Taipei. Food was awful, the worst food I ever had. Service was very poor. Flight was diverted to Hong Kong due to typhoon. We arrived at Hongkong around 10pm. They did not give us dinner. They bus us to our hotel which was about 45 minutes drive from the airport. We got there around 1:00am. Check in was completed at 2:00am. Then they infomed us we would leave hotel at 7:30am and the scheduled departure time of our flight was 1030am. Everyone was rushing to have breakfast and a lot did not even have breakfast. On the way to the airport one of the bus broke down on the freeway. We had to pick up the passengers that were on that bus. Flight finally left at almost 1:00pm. Did not feed us a thing. Then they gave us a food that was completely spoiled! Never again will I fly this airline.
AircraftA330-300
RouteManila to Taipei
Date FlownJuly 2017

"checked out tickets at least 3x"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Tokyo via Taipei. It was fine until I realized what was going on. Mind you plenty of space for all, food was fine, but when we first got to our seats in both long haul parts, they checked out tickets at least 3x. Now my daughter is multicultural and i am African American. So our alone tones are way apart. There was no need for 3/4 attendants to ask for our tickets. Families come in a variety, no need for all that checking.
RouteSan Francisco to Tokyo via Taipei
Date FlownJune 2017

"leg space was good"

(Mexico)

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Jakarta via Taipei. The trip was so easy from LA to with short layover to Jakarta. The first flight was about 14hrs, I was in economy class and even here who can feel so attendant quality of airline. Especially cleanliness of WC. I am tall and leg space was good so I could sleep without any problem almost all flight time. I used them also on the way back from Jakarta to LA, same great service. For the price they offer from LA to many destination you get top quality.
RouteLos Angeles to Jakarta via Taipei
Date FlownMay 2017

"fly again if the price was right"

Verified Review | Okinawa to Melbourne via Taipei. The Business class lounge in Naha is a generic lounge and very basic - think biscuits and instant noodles. There was a very large family group with many children filling up the Business cabin on the first leg, and both check-in and boarding processes were rather chaotic. This was compounded by an unexplained 60-minute delay in departure. On board the cabin crew were racing to serve meals and drinks to the packed Business cabin on this short flight. Service was, perhaps necessarily, rather abrupt. The seat was very comfortable, and my vegetarian meal was OK. Once in Taipei we had a short but pleasant sojourn in the China Airlines lounge. On the second flight the crew were efficient but not particularly friendly. The A330 seat was more comfortable than the one I had going in the other direction - not flat, but I was able to get a good sleep. My inflight screen didn't work for the whole flight. The vegetarian meals were large but a bit stodgy and uninteresting. The toilets were kept spotless. The leg from Taipei to Melbourne operated on time. I would fly China Airlines again if the price was right.
AircraftBoeing 747 / A330
RouteOkinawa to Melbourne via Taipei

"This flight was cheap"

Verified Review | This flight was cheap and offered good value. Check-in was fast and the Qantas lounge in Melbourne, while very busy, was a pleasant start to the journey. Onboard service was friendly and efficient. The cabin was spotless. On this A330 my seat, which was spacious and comfortable in the seated position, was angled and bumpy when extended, making sleep difficult. The IFE screen was small by business class standards, and my vegetarian meals were rather bland. The transit lounge at Taipei was pleasant. The refitted B747 on the second leg to Sapporo had more comfortable seats and larger IFE screens. The vegetarian meals loaded in Taipei were more tasty than the offerings ex-Melbourne. For the price and convenience on flights to Japan I would recommend China Airlines.
AircraftA330 / Boeing 747
RouteMelbourne to Sapporo via Taipei
Date FlownMay 2017

"thank you for the extra effort"

Verified Review | Penang to Los Angeles via Taipei. On our first leg of our trip home from Penang to Los Angeles via Taipei, I unfortunately left my tablet in the seat back pocket. It was within about 30 minutes after leaving the plane that I realized I had left my tablet. I went to the customer relations desk to report it and then when the staff came to the gate I again asked for their assistance. The lady at the gate followed up with me, before takeoff on the second leg, and indicated they had found my tablet and would put it on the next flight to LAX and to speak with the airline staff once we landed in the US. I have to be honest, in saying I was a little skeptical, but I provided my information to the staff at LAX and began to make phone calls the next day. Within a day and half I received a phone call from a young man at LAX that he had my tablet in hand. Thank you again to the young lady in Taipei and the LAX staff member for the extra effort in finding and delivering my tablet back to me.
RoutePenang to Los Angeles via Taipei
Date FlownMay 2017

"experience was top notch"

Verified Review | First time with China Airlines. Transited from Hong Kong via a Cathay A350 (see other review) and I wasn't expecting much. Lounge and boarding were not good. Poor quality lounge and chaotic inefficient boarding. From then on experience was top notch. A warm crew welcomed us aboard a beautifully outfitted business class.The seat was private, well designed and perfect for sleeping as the flight departed at 11.35pm. IFE was great, WiFi terrific, not a single complaint. Didn't eat dinner but the breakfast served was excellent. The crew bent over backwards to ensure everyone was happy and well looked after. Kudos to them. I'll ride their 350 over Cathay's any time.
RouteTaipei to San Francisco