Top 100 Airlines

China Airlines

"everything looks old"

(Spain)

Verified Review | Taipei to Amsterdam via Bangkok. I flew twice this year with China Airlines, once in business and one in economy, the aircraft is the oldest. Everything looks old. Old seats even in Business class. The check in ground staff in Taipei is very kind but non initiave. The lounge in Terminal 1 is amazing, one of the best lounge, food, beverage, ambiance. The boarding is quite efficient specially for SkyPriority. The seat is ok but looks old, entertaiment screen is not good and the earphone is very uncomfortable. Good service on board, food ok, beverage ok for economy. I think for a national carrier should be better.
RouteTPE to AMS via BKK

"most uncomfortable seats"

(Japan)

I chose China Airlines because of their nonstop flights between Tokyo Narita and Honolulu, the fact that they are part of Skyteam, and because their business class fare was more than a $1000USD cheaper than their partner, Delta. The service onboard was wonderful and attentive. The food going was very good, on the return mediocre. The seats are not lie-flat. They are the most uncomfortable seats I have ridden in quite a while. They aircraft is very old and dated and doesn't have that Asian carrier newness or niceness at all (although their new A350s are supposed to be going to Europe). The AVOD was less than exciting but had enough to distractions to occupy me for the 7.5-hour flights each way. I would consider flying them again in the future if the aircraft were different or renovated.
AircraftA330-300
RouteNRT to HNL
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"Staff friendly and professional"

(Taiwan)

Taipei to Okinawa RT. Flight was on time, and I was upgraded to Business Class for this one-hour flight. Planes used are old 747s, but not that big of a deal as the flight is so short. Staff was friendly and professional. The only negatives were the lounges and food on board. China Airlines lounge in Taoyuan's T2 serves processed cheese cut into triangles. Quite pathetic. They really need to up their game. Lounge in Naha is a small shared lounge full of crying babies. Food on board is a savory wrap served in foil from a bag.
RouteTPE to OKA
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"found the seats to be very comfortable"

Verified Review | Having flown with US airlines multiple times, I flew China Airlines once and was more than impressed. I was pretty lucky to be able to fly on an almost brand new aircraft from Shanghai to Taipei. The cabin interior was very fancy. Despite getting a middle seat, I still found the seats to be very comfortable, and am certain that I would have a great experience if I were to fly with them on a long haul journey. The food was not bad for airplane food, but still you can't really expect much from an economy class meal with any airline.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RoutePVG to TPE

"a horrible flight"

Verified Review | Flew Denpasar to Vancouver via Taipei. Old, old plane for a transpacific flight. Packed to bursting. On way out, we were seated in row 47, which I discovered was more cramped than other parts of the plane, which were already tight, as there is a huge service bar area in the middle of the aircraft. Smell of food almost constant, the back and forth of a huge number of flight attendants, put us in the worse spot on the plane. When we got to Taipei, we had a 5 hour layover, but there was no one available at the service desk to tell us where to go. Eventually, we just followed some folks, hoping we were on the right path. On the return, I asked at Denpasar, to change our seat allocations - no, could not be done except once in Taipei. Flight was 1 hour late departing Denpasar, so when I tried to change our seats, the attendants said it was impossible. For a 10.5 hour flight, we struggled. Plane delayed, again, by an hour for take-off. Once we were beginning the ascent, a fire alarm in the service area went off and continued until long past cruising altitude, as no one seemed to know how to turn it off. Not inspiring confidence. Then the service. The aisles are so narrow at this part of the plane that we are necessarily "involved" in all service activity in and out of the service bay and it is constant. I'm 5'6" and my knees hit the seat in front. If you put your seat back to sleep, your knees go forward. When we got to Taipei on the first leg home, running an hour or more late for our subsequent flight, the attendant at the gate was yelling where to go, in Chinese, of course. So we tried to ask where to go - "I just told you follow the people" - he yells. It was a horrible flight.
RouteDPS to YVR via TPE
Date FlownAugust 2016

"great service, excellent value"

Verified Review | Sydney to Auckland with China Airlines. This is my 4th trip with CI52/51 over the Tasman. Booked ticket 2 days before flying and received special fare of $300AUD return. Excellent value - 30kg bag, food, drinks, entertainment, seat assignment included, mobile check-in and dedicated bag drop - no waiting. Flight was full, left on time and service began swiftly and efficient. Arrived on time but delayed 20 mins while waiting for gate in Auckland. Return flight was also full, great service, excellent value.
RouteSYD to AKL

"great customer service"

Verified Review | Taipei to Hong Kong with China Airlines. The flight was 2 hours delayed but I was lucky enough to get upgraded to business class. The captain announced that due to the Hong Kong air traffic control, we need to stay on the ground at least 2 hours and wait for the further instruction. All the cabin attendants were very patient and polite. The cabin manager kept apologizing to me. The meal was served on the ground which was cool and not something I've ever experienced before. Overall, everything went well even though it became a late night arrival. Great customer service.
AircraftA330-300
RouteTPE to HKG

"very smooth flight"

Verified Review | Taipei to Bangkok with China Airlines. I'm a frequent flyer. I was very lucky to fly the newest aircraft B777-300ER with special Boeing livery. Cabin manager came to greet me as usual. The inside of the aircraft was very clean and new. The Premium Economy seat was comfortable. The flight attendants were very polite and nice. A very smooth flight.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteTPE to BKK

"ground staff are rude"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Penang via Taipei. I am a passenger on wheelchair. When I was on transit at TPE airport, after waiting for more than 3.5 hours, I asked the ground staff if they can wheel me to the boarding gate so that I can wait there. One of the ground staff young ladies told me that since I can still walk, I should walk there myself! When I complained about her attitude at the transit counter, the ground staff there told me that I can go and complain to the management about this. I'm not going to travel China Airlines anymore if I need to transit in Taipei. The ground staff are rude.
RouteLAX to PEN via TPE
Date FlownJune 2016

"exquisite, attentive service"

Verified Review | Manila to Kansai via Taipei with China Airlines. Trip was a pair of 2 to 2.5 hour regional legs, both in the same aircraft. (There was a 3 day layover in Taipei between the legs.) Older style business seats, lie flat at angle, in 2-3-2 configuration on a 747-400, perfectly sufficient for 2 short daytime flights. Exquisite, attentive service. Stir fry black pepper beef, glass noodles, and a glass of Chianti Classico was probably above average, but this was only a 2 hour flight.
RouteMNL to KIX via TPE