Vote Now

China Airlines

"food and service were fine"

(South Korea)

Verified Review | Flew Seoul Incheon - Taipei, CI 163/162 and return. CI 163 was late departing Taipei by 45 minutes, so we left ICN about an hour and a half late as well. The return flight was right on time with no problems. I purchased an economy sale ticket, but was allowed to select a business class seat in the upper deck when buying the ticket for TPE-ICN. At online check in (T-24), a seat in the upper deck ICN-TPE was available for selection. There were two different kinds of seats. ICN-TPE was very very old recliner seat with old, old AVOD in the armrest (Exit Row).TPE-ICN was a newer shell seat that was not lie-flat. The food and service were fine. It was economy service with one tray of food and no special business treatment. I would not purchase these tickets for business, but would gladly pay economy and take the free seat upgrade.
RouteSeoul to Taipei
Date FlownMarch 2017

"aircrafts have been improved dramatically"

Verified Review | Flew San Francisco to Yangon via Taipei. I've been flying China Airlines for almost 2 decades. Their cabin services, lounge services and aircrafts have been improved dramatically in the recent years. With the new B777s and A350s, their hard products are phenomenal. English among crew has been steadily improving, but is still long way to go. Foods served onboard are great, especially, the flights originated in TPE. Cabin cleanliness is impeccable as crew clean up almost every 10-15 mins. For business class, they clean right after someone uses. I have flown their economy, premium economy and premium business products. They all deserve a high rating according to what you pay for.
AircraftBoeing 77W
RouteSFO to RGN via TPE

"terrible legroom"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Taipei to Auckland via Brisbane with China Airlines. Very nice and attentive cabin crew. Terrible legroom. Small screens monitors and not lot a large choice of movies and tv shows. No power sockets or Wi-Fi. Food choices were very limited (Asian food). Very thin blankets. Cabin and toilets were tidy during the flight. The stop in Brisbane is ok but you have to go again to security control (not the airline's fault, of course). Boarding in Brisbane was a little confusing (transit mixed with local passengers and the waiting room at the gate has a few seats).
RouteTaipei to Auckland via Brisbane
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"check-in wasn't very nice or professional"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Flew China Airlines from Auckland to Taipei via Brisbane. Check-in wasn't very nice or professional, firstly they couldn't find the reservation on the system even when giving the e-ticket number. Secondly they said I needed to show my outbound airline ticket from Hong Kong. It seems to be a Hong Kong requirement but they only tell you that at check in that if you don't have it then you can't board. The A330 had very narrow legroom, the IFE had a small screen and movie choices, blankets were very thin, no wi-fi, no power outlets. Very nice cabin crew, food was basic (no mineral water if you asked for a glass).
RouteAuckland to Taipe via Brisbane
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"nice meal for a short flight"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Kaohsiung with China Airlines. Good waiting time at the check-in. Nice plane for a short flight like this and they give pillows and blankets. Very narrow room leg space. IFE ok. Very attentive and careful cabin crew. Boring safety film, nice meal for such a short flight. Always a very cold cabin temperature.
RouteHong Kong to Kaohsiung
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"I will avoid China Airlines"

Unverified | Los Angeles to Yangon via Taipei. On board service was ok but this airline seems disorganized and not able to stick to a schedule. None of the flights I took left on time, or even close. Coming back from Yangon I missed the Los Angeles flight because they were so late leaving Yangon, which wasnt that busy. Spent 7 hours in Taipei airport and they comp'd me a burger king meal for the screw up. With a gift like that why even bother! I will avoid China Airlines in the future.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLos Angeles to Taipei via Yangon
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"Staff not happy to work"

(Taiwan)

Verified Review | Very bad experience from Taipei to New York JFK, use for the first time the premium economy class but it was a disastrous experience. Staff apparently not happy to work. Seat dirty, screen broken, meal didn't serve per my request. This is a most horrible airlines experience. I will not recommend China Airlines, my problem now is how will be the flight back from JFK?
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteTaipei to New York

"I was disappointed"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Hong Kong via Taipei return. Me and my wife fly economy class, when we checked in at Hong Kong airport I asked the counter staff if there are any open seats at the front from Taipei to Los Angeles since our seats are the very last second, and was told it's pretty much full - however after transferred and board the plane, we found there are empty seats available. Two meals were provided on the flight, second one is cold and both meals are just very average in quality, taste and small in size. Since it was a might night flight, after the first flight the light was off and we are try to get some sleep, however it was so cold so me and my wife had to put on our coats and covered with a blanket, but still too cold so I went to asked the flight attendant and was told the air from outside is cold and the front cabin is ok. No dessert was provided on the flight, flight attendants have no smiles. I came from Taiwan and this was the second time I flew China Airlines Since I was moved to the US 33 years ago. I like Singapore Airlines, but 10 years ago they canceled the route, then I'm happy with the EVA Air. By the suggestion of a friend I fly China Airlines this time, and I was disappointed. My flight from Los Angeles to taipei was delayed 3.5 hours but was never notified, I found it out at preboarding one day earlier. At the airport I talked with another passenger and was told that she went to the airport on time and never got any notice.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteHKG to LAX via TPE
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"food the great disappointment"

Verified Review | Brisbane to Sapporo via Taipei. Check-in at Brisbane was prompt and professional. We were able to book our seats 6 months earlier, although this wasn't made clear to us at the time of booking. We made our seat allocations 3 months prior to the flight and could not get our preferred seating on the Taipei to Sapporo sector. No big deal. Whilst this flight leaves quite late - 11.15pm it gets in to Sapporo at a convenient time, for transfer to the ski fields in Hokkaido. The lounge China Airlines uses is the Plaza Premium Lounge - reasonable selection of snacks, limited choice of acceptable quality wines, average service. It doesn't feel like a 'special occasion'. Boarding is quick and again, professional. Juices and water are offered before take-off. Amenity pack includes lip balm and lotions, but of average quality. Seats are in a 2-2-2- formation in an older aircraft. The food, on both sectors, was the great disappointment of these flights. We have had better in economy on other carriers. The wine selection was of a good standard. The service is attentive and friendly. Entertainment options are average. The lounge in Taipei is of quite good, with a selection of snacks, hot cooked-to-order dishes.
AircraftA330-300 / Boeing 747-400
RouteBrisbane to Sapporo via Taipei
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"a notch below other major airlines"

Unverified | New York to Hanoi via Taipei. Definitely a notch below other major airlines in East Asia in Business Class in every area, but I mostly want to comment on one thing. I thought it was very unusual when - on a 15 hour flight leaving JFK at midnight - they turned on all the lights in business class for the mid-flight meal and left them on for 3 hours. It was sure annoying to be woken up mid-flight for some little snack that I'm sure nobody would have even wanted if they hadn't woken us all up. And I don't recall ever seeing it happen on another airline. I asked if I could switch back to Economy where the lights were off so I could sleep, but she didn't get my sarcasm and went looking for a seat for me!! Also the lounge was overflowing to the point of not being worth it. Service was in general slow and confusing, and my entertainment system had a lot of bugs, but seats were up to standard.
RouteNew York to Hanoi via Taipei