China Airlines

"Choose EVA Air instead if you can"

(Belgium)

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Taipei. Economy class on the A350 and whilst a newish airplane, the service standards leave a lot to be desired. I flew the longer route to Taipei via BKK with EVA Air in June this year and this latest trip demonstrated why China Airlines are a long way behind them. The China Air staff, whilst courteous and pleasant, could not speak or understand English very well, getting drink requests and even the meal type all totally wrong. Their attention to checking the cabin safety during turbulence was also very poor and they appeared to be on a very lazy working system during this flight. Call button answering was very slow.Food was edible but little more to commend it. Seat had good legroom space, but seat cushions seemed very thin and hard. Choose EVA Air instead if you can.
RouteAmsterdam to Taipei
Date FlownNovember 2017

"an excellence experience"

Verified Review | Economy class flight from San Francisco to Bangkok return via Taipei. I had to cancel my initial flight at the gate and the staff were very helpful. The call center staff provided me information as to how to apply for a refund and book another fare. I was able to confirm my cancellation online and then book another fare confident I would be refunded my flight fare minus $100 cancellation fee. This is exceptional and one of the reasons I fly China Airlines. The fare was refunded within 3 days to my credit card. The boarding process is very efficient and the staff work hard at settling customers for on time departure and arrival. The seats are a 3 x 3 layout and with the person in front on full recline still plenty of leg room. The meal service is efficient with 2 choices for the main meal. The food on the return flight is better than the food from the USA. I find this the case on all airlines. The entertainment options are limited however there is sufficient choice to remain occupied. The toilets were maintained in a clean state throughout the flight. All requests were met promptly and there was no staff down on the flight. It seemed there were always enough crew available to serve customer needs. The flight to Bangkok was without incident. Smooth and the captain kept us well information. The return flight was less proficient. No warning of turbulence and often the seat belt sign was initiated well into the turbulence. The Taipei airport has reasonable facilities for a 5 hour lay over. Overall an excellence experience.
RouteSan Francisco to Bangkok via Taipei
Date FlownOctober 2017

"rude and offensive manner"

Verified Review | Kaohsiung to Bangkok on October 31, 2017 at 14:40. Check in between 12:45 am and 1:15 pm: I approached the front desk where a woman was serving. I had as usual already checked in online after the lady had already printed the ticket, put the stitch on my suitcase, she asked me if I had a flight from Bangkok and I replied to yes. She asked me for a ticket, but at that time I could not have the airport wifi, and she called the supervisor who in a rude and offensive manner to me, ripped the ticket and if I could not show it, I had to stay ground. Since the next flight was with Thaismile from Bangkok to Pennh, I went to the EVA air desk and they printed kindly the confirmation of the flight. China Airlines need more and more an efficient service and polite, friendly staff, what it wasn’t in my case. Right now China Airlines is no longer the only one to fly from Kaohsiung to Bangkok, I finally have the choice to decide with whom to fly: the next return to Kaohsiung will be soon by Thaismile.
RouteKaohsiung to Bangkok
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Flight attendants showed no interest"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Taipei. The Boeing 777-300ER was nice and clean inside, and seats quite comfortable. That is where the good part ends. The western food was simply terrible, and whilst the Asian meals were eaten by Chinese travelers near me, the western meals seemed to be left. Flight attendants showed no interest at all in the problems, and seemed very poor in being able to communicate in English which is a worry for other issues. Onboard entertainment okay, but this was all geared to Chinese passengers. The ticket I got was very cheap, but now I know why so cheap!
AircraftBoeing 77-300er
RouteLos Angeles to Taipei

"Seats were comfortable"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Kuala Lumpur via Taipei with China Airlines. Staff was very professional and friendly. Seats were comfortable for economy and entertainment was sufficient. Fruit plate meal was adequate. I have flown this route a few times and never had an issue. Price and times fit my needs perfectly.
AircraftBoeing 777-300 ER
RouteLos Angeles to Kuala Lumpur via Taipei
Date FlownOctober 2017

"look forward to traveling "

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Denpasar via Taipei. I have not flown yet my trip will be this December 2017 to go see my daughter who is giving birth to my first grand baby. I have not flown overseas for a very long time so I wanted to make a good decision on the selection of the airline. When I called the 800-number I experienced exceptional customer service. In the past when I've called other airlines I get this feeling that I should be asking all the questions online and that I am bothering them. The woman was very polite, took her time with me, answered all her questions and made me feel important. Thank you for going the extra mile and I look forward to traveling on your airline in a few months. I'm expecting that part of it to go well as well.
RouteLos Angeles to Denpasar via Taipei
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"flight attendants were hard to fault"

Verified Review | I flew the first leg from Newcastle to Amsterdam on KLM. Crucially both flights I took with China Airlines departed on-time. From Amsterdam to Taipei I flew on a more-or-less brand new Airbus A350 which was very modern, clean and comfortable. From Taipei to Nanchang was on a Boeing 737 which served its purpose for a short flight. The flight attendants were hard to fault on both flights given they were quick to respond to calls and very polite. The meal options were fine but I didn't like the fact they only had Chinese snacks available at the galley. However there was a full bar service throughout the flight and they were happy to keep serving both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks throughout the flight. Aside from the issue with snacks, the only other in-flight issue I had was with the entertainment system not having quite the range of audio and movie options of airlines like Emirates. The only seriously negative issue I had was the transit experience at Taipei Airport with the security area being far too small and lacking staff members meaning long queues. Also Taipei airport terminal 1 departures area was lacking in international dining and shopping options, which is disappointing given Taipei Taoyuan is supposed to be one of Asia's major hubs. However based on my overall experience I will happily fly China Airlines again.
AircraftA350 and Boeing 737
RouteNewcastle to Nanchang via Amsterdam and Taipei
Date FlownAugust 2017

"staff were helpful and polite"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to San Francisco return via Taipei. The ground staff were helpful and polite. The cabin crews might be one of the best , during my return flight (SFO - TPE) there was a passenger who got airsickness and crew handled the incident very well. For the food it was also nice. The price is very reasonable.
RouteKuala Lumpur to San Francisco via Taipei
Date FlownJuly 2017

"Service was very poor"

Verified Review | Manila to Taipei. Food was awful, the worst food I ever had. Service was very poor. Flight was diverted to Hong Kong due to typhoon. We arrived at Hongkong around 10pm. They did not give us dinner. They bus us to our hotel which was about 45 minutes drive from the airport. We got there around 1:00am. Check in was completed at 2:00am. Then they infomed us we would leave hotel at 7:30am and the scheduled departure time of our flight was 1030am. Everyone was rushing to have breakfast and a lot did not even have breakfast. On the way to the airport one of the bus broke down on the freeway. We had to pick up the passengers that were on that bus. Flight finally left at almost 1:00pm. Did not feed us a thing. Then they gave us a food that was completely spoiled! Never again will I fly this airline.
AircraftA330-300
RouteManila to Taipei
Date FlownJuly 2017

"checked out tickets at least 3x"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Tokyo via Taipei. It was fine until I realized what was going on. Mind you plenty of space for all, food was fine, but when we first got to our seats in both long haul parts, they checked out tickets at least 3x. Now my daughter is multicultural and i am African American. So our alone tones are way apart. There was no need for 3/4 attendants to ask for our tickets. Families come in a variety, no need for all that checking.
RouteSan Francisco to Tokyo via Taipei