China Airlines

" Seats were excellent"

Not Verified | Sydney to London via Taipei. It was a new A350 plane, with a herringbone business class seat arrangement, meaning that everyone had a private, yet aisle seat. Seats were excellent, fully flat with convenient pockets to store things and wider than some others. The table for meals or laptops etc was very stored under the TV screen, and deployed directly towards the passenger, rather than swivelling out, which is a great improvement on other business class table layouts. The slippers and personal vanity bag contain nothing worth taking off the plane. Service was somewhat functional rather than engaging but a lot of the crew had little English. They were kind and helpful but not very interactive. Food was okay and substantial, but not exceptional. China Airlines seem to be able to leave and arrive at airports on time. All in all a great business class outcome if you aren't fussed about the food and service but want a great seat and on time delivery. The Taipei lounge is good also. Comfortable seats and food and drink on tap and a kitchen doing Chinese dishes on demand.
AircraftA350-900
RouteSydney to London via Taipei

"friendly and helpful"

Trip Verified | Taipei to Gatwick. Really impressive service and comfort. I’m a tall person and still had plenty of leg room. The staff are friendly and helpful and attentive. If you are English speaking you may struggle a little as the airline is very Chinese focused. So language could be a problem. Not a big problem but have patience and humor. The airport at Tai[ei is fantastic. We were in transit both ways. The transit area is bright and spacious. For me and my wife, we had no problems. I’d happily go again, as soon as I’m over the jet lag. The food was excellent I must say.
RouteTaipei to Gatwick

"the flight is canceled"

(Taiwan)

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Taipei. Flight original schedule to depart at 2:20 am and due to mechanic failure, it was announced to delayed to 5:00am. At 5am on Aug 5, it was announced, it will further delay to 8:00am. At, 8:30am, China airlines announce they can not fix the problem and the flight is canceled. 5 hours of delay and only CAD$15 meal voucher provided. After 8:30am, I was arranged another flight in the next day 2:20 am. After that, no meal, no accommodations, no transportation, is arranged. Ground staff orally mention the compensation will be done while landing in Taipei. but it never happen. Complaint in Taiwan China Airline office. No compensation and verbally apology.
Date FlownAugust 2018

"last flight was a disaster"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Taipei. I have flown this airline several times and normally had good service but my last flight was a disaster. We were scheduled to leave Vancouver at 2:20 am. After no notifications the flight was delayed for one hour. At 4 am we were told it was now delayed until 8 am. After trying to sleep for a few hours on benches or the floor at 8:30 we were told the flight was cancelled. This was just the beginning. After going through customs and immigration (we never left the country?) We got back to the checkin counters and formed an enormous queue of approximately 300. They had 3-4 ground staff to attempt to rebook all of us on other flights as they were not sure that the aircraft would be ready to fly the next morning. Complete chaos ensued. There was virtually no communication between CA staff and passengers. Finally around 5:50 pm the last of us were confirmed on flights the following day. They begrudgingly gave a few dozen passengers hotel rooms with no food allowance. I lost 2 days in Manila, my final destination and was not offered any compensation for my prepaid hotel room. Overall a terrible beginning to a trip.

"comfortable and painless"

Trip Verified | Taipei to Vancouver. I was impressed with the comfort and service. The staff was very friendly, they were prompt with meal time and very accommodating. The take off and landing were quite smooth, and I was happy with how painless the boarding was. The food was pretty good, with enough in the meal to fill me up for hours. For economy class the seats were decently comfortable, and the leg room was more than I was expecting. I loved the touch screens and the quantity of movie choices. My overall experience was as comfortable and painless as a flight can be. I would recommend this airline to anyone looking to take a lengthy flight.
AircraftA350-900
RouteTaipei to Vancouver
Date FlownJuly 2018

"food and service average"

Not Verified | Christchurch to Auckland. Have previously flown with this airline in Business Class and could not fault it. We flew Premium Economy this time and were very disappointed. The seats are very comfortable and lots of movies to choose from, but the food and service were average. We had flown from Brisbane to Auckland three days earlier and were fed Fried Rice - no other choice(s) that was it! Coming back it was chicken with mushrooms, rice and vegetables. It was OK, but under seasoned and very bland. My husband cannot eat mushrooms and he eats hardly any vegetables. When he advised the hostess of this she came back with a serve of garlic bread from Business Class. That was his meal! He has a healthy appetite and was not impressed. I would point out that the same meals were being service to Economy Class, so not effort made to provide something a little bit better in Premium Economy. Drinks service limited - one with your meal, and another one just after. That was it. I do not think they were ever offering spirits. They also did not come round offering water on a regular basis, as most airlines. Will definitely go Business Class next time - I do recommend that.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteChristchurch to Auckland

"offers a great product"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to London return. Both flights the air crew and ground staff were great. Food was pretty good both trips, and enough choices for entertainment, including a number of recent movies, although would be pressed to have enough movies to do two London trips in the same month. At the price point I think China Airways offers a great product and Taipei airport is big enough to happily spend time during transit. Point to note duty free shopping is not a bargain.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteBrisbane to Gatwick via Taipei
Date FlownJuly 2018

"staff were polite and helpful"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Taipei. Reasonable price, good service, the staff were polite and helpful. Really surprised that we would have a meal even for the short flight. The food is pretty delicious. However bigger portion would be better.
RouteHong Kong to Taipei

"absolute worst experience"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Taipei. One of the worst experiences I have had boarding a gate. Prior to boarding the gate I was hassled over my returning ticket which I did have. The boarding staff of China airlines were terrible they were forcing me to purchase another ticket. On top of that I am being told they will not allow me to board the gate, they will close the gate on me and that I would be sent home. I was forced to purchase a ticket that I will not use and cannot be refunded on now. All of my friends who flew out to Bali did not have any of these issues or forced to purchase a ticket going home. The absolute worst experience.
Date FlownJuly 2018

"put on an earlier flight"

Trip Verified | Sydney to London via Taipei. Flight was originally on the 10th to London but rescheduled for the 11th because of a tropical storm heading towards Japan/Taiwan. I was upset because I was going to now miss the Semi final match between England and Croatia. I gave China airlines a ring was on hold for an hour (at this point I was ready to give up) and then was told at 10:15am that if I get to Sydney airport by 11am they would get me on an earlier flight and reach Taiwan before the storm does. So jumped in an Uber and was 5mins late. Thankfully I was put on an earlier flight as soon as I arrived!
RouteSydney to London via Taipei