Vote Now

China Airlines

"I was disappointed"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Hong Kong via Taipei return. Me and my wife fly economy class, when we checked in at Hong Kong airport I asked the counter staff if there are any open seats at the front from Taipei to Los Angeles since our seats are the very last second, and was told it's pretty much full - however after transferred and board the plane, we found there are empty seats available. Two meals were provided on the flight, second one is cold and both meals are just very average in quality, taste and small in size. Since it was a might night flight, after the first flight the light was off and we are try to get some sleep, however it was so cold so me and my wife had to put on our coats and covered with a blanket, but still too cold so I went to asked the flight attendant and was told the air from outside is cold and the front cabin is ok. No dessert was provided on the flight, flight attendants have no smiles. I came from Taiwan and this was the second time I flew China Airlines Since I was moved to the US 33 years ago. I like Singapore Airlines, but 10 years ago they canceled the route, then I'm happy with the EVA Air. By the suggestion of a friend I fly China Airlines this time, and I was disappointed. My flight from Los Angeles to taipei was delayed 3.5 hours but was never notified, I found it out at preboarding one day earlier. At the airport I talked with another passenger and was told that she went to the airport on time and never got any notice.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteHKG to LAX via TPE
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"food the great disappointment"

Verified Review | Brisbane to Sapporo via Taipei. Check-in at Brisbane was prompt and professional. We were able to book our seats 6 months earlier, although this wasn't made clear to us at the time of booking. We made our seat allocations 3 months prior to the flight and could not get our preferred seating on the Taipei to Sapporo sector. No big deal. Whilst this flight leaves quite late - 11.15pm it gets in to Sapporo at a convenient time, for transfer to the ski fields in Hokkaido. The lounge China Airlines uses is the Plaza Premium Lounge - reasonable selection of snacks, limited choice of acceptable quality wines, average service. It doesn't feel like a 'special occasion'. Boarding is quick and again, professional. Juices and water are offered before take-off. Amenity pack includes lip balm and lotions, but of average quality. Seats are in a 2-2-2- formation in an older aircraft. The food, on both sectors, was the great disappointment of these flights. We have had better in economy on other carriers. The wine selection was of a good standard. The service is attentive and friendly. Entertainment options are average. The lounge in Taipei is of quite good, with a selection of snacks, hot cooked-to-order dishes.
AircraftA330-300 / Boeing 747-400
RouteBrisbane to Sapporo via Taipei
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"a notch below other major airlines"

Unverified | New York to Hanoi via Taipei. Definitely a notch below other major airlines in East Asia in Business Class in every area, but I mostly want to comment on one thing. I thought it was very unusual when - on a 15 hour flight leaving JFK at midnight - they turned on all the lights in business class for the mid-flight meal and left them on for 3 hours. It was sure annoying to be woken up mid-flight for some little snack that I'm sure nobody would have even wanted if they hadn't woken us all up. And I don't recall ever seeing it happen on another airline. I asked if I could switch back to Economy where the lights were off so I could sleep, but she didn't get my sarcasm and went looking for a seat for me!! Also the lounge was overflowing to the point of not being worth it. Service was in general slow and confusing, and my entertainment system had a lot of bugs, but seats were up to standard.
RouteNew York to Hanoi via Taipei
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"give some customers more privileges"

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Jakarta via Taipei. From Amsterdam an old A340,but with the 2-4-2 seating. Leg room on the window seats is obstructed by big entertainment box under seat in front of you. Online check-in on China Airlines website didn't work. Checked in at the airport and found out that my seat requests disappeared and was on standby, strange because I had a confirmed ticket. The information counter was helpful and could give us a window/aisle seat and we were told that for online checkin from Amsterdam Airport you have to use the KLM website (strange because I have CI ticket and not a KLM ticket). Taipei to Jakarta on a B777-300ER. Nice interior (bamboo wood, mood lighting, modern IFE). Again a full flight with a 1 hour delay. Jakarta to Taipei checked in online 24 hours before departure via CI app. Plane was a B777 and choose the row of 2 at the back of economy. The next morning we found out that the plane was delayed (3 hours) and that they changed the Boeing 777 into the A330. This A330 was old and tired (worn seats) and had seen better days. Cabin crew was friendly. Last flight to Amsterdam an A350, checked in online 24 hours in advance. Seats were already assigned and couldn't change the seats. All the seats were 'not available'. We went to the airport early (5 hours before departure) and tried to get emergency exit seats, bulkhead seats or last row seats but nothing was possible. The checkin agent showed me the screen and told me that it was all blocked. Got the impression that China Airlines give some of the customers more privileges with seat requests because during the flight we found out that the blocked seats (we saw on the screen) were empty middle seats, probably to give the passengers in that row more personal space (this happened with 4 rows in economy). The A350 is a beautiful spacious aircraft. Good seats, even when the seat in front of you is reclined. Big windows and good, modern IFE. 30 minute delay but we arrived 10 minutes ahead our schedule time at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport.
AircraftA340 / A330 / A350 / Boeing 777
RouteAMS to CGK via TPE
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"not use China Airlines again"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Taipei, flying on a new A350 with China Airlines. The cabin was nice, but not cleaned very well - my table was sticky and the seatpocket had mess from last flight. I flew them one year ago, and this time the food is very low quality, small portions and choice was not available for either meal. Cabin attendants also seems much worse, this time they were not smiling once and as soon as tray was taken, the lights were out and staff disappeared. They could not understand or speak English properly either. I flew Eva Air from Taipei to US in last December, and their service is so much better than China Airlines. My flight from Amsterdam was cheap, but I will not use China Airlines again.
RouteAmsterdam to Taipei
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"bag was considered abandoned "

Verified Review | Taipei to Los Angeles. I have been calling China Airlines since December 31st about my luggage. I have been told many different things from many representatives but mostly just leave voicemails that never get returned. I was told today that all my other attempts at contact were never documented and so my bag was considered abandoned and sent to storage in Taiwan.
RouteTaipei to Los Angeles
Date FlownDecember 2016

"given my seat to China Airlines employee"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Taipei. The rudest staff I have ever encountered at a boardng gate, with the worst imaginable judgment. I flew into the LA airport from Minneapolis on January 2nd, about 3 hours before my China Airlines flight to Taipei, without a boarding pass for my flight to Taipei because Delta could not issue the international passes. I checked in to the China Airlines business lounge, who recorded my name and flight information and instructed me to wait until the Taipei flight was announced before picking up my boarding pass at the gate. When the flight was announced an hour later, I walked to the gate to get my boarding pass and was told that I was 5 minutes too late. they had awarded my business class seat to another traveler. (I reached the gate 40 minutes before takeoff, instead of 45 minutes.) I had paid roughly $3,000 for that business class ticket, had checked in with the business class lounge an hour earlier, and insisted that they let me board. The staff was unspeakably rude and insisted that I was wrong for being 5 minutes late, and that I must wait 24 hours for the next flight, and pay for my own hotel and other expenses. I remained at the gate complaining that it was unlikely that they could grant my business class ticket to another paying customer within 5 mintues after the 45-minute deadline. Then 10 minutes before takeoff, they told me they found me a seat. They claimed that a China Airlines staff had agreed to move to economy class "as a courtesy." Here is the punchline - the seat they "found" was my assigned seat, and they had given my seat to a China Airlines employee, and insisted up to the last minute that I must travel the next day. They had booted a paying business class customer so that an employee could take his seat instead. I am a regular customer of China Airlines, and service is normally okay, but this was one of the worst incidents I have encountered in 20+ years of business travel, and it was not caused by weather or technical problems.
RouteLAX to TPE

"was a pleasant flight"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | This was a pleasant flight even it took nearly 2 hours transfer at TPE. The crew are very helpful - I really wanted to taste my own Choya Plum wine when the flight reached 30,000ft. Unfortunately the crew told me we can have the wine provided by airlines but not our own beverages. After that she brought over red and white wine. The seat are spacious and most importantly, A350 the new fleet comes with special Chinese painting design, great taste and a fresh experience. It was a full flight but we have never feel it crowded.
AircraftA350 / Boeing 747
RouteKIX to KUL via TPE
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"was a most enjoyable flight"

Verified Review | Brisbane to Auckland. Considering the price and the quality of the service and amenities, this was a most enjoyable flight. Seats were very comfortable, especially for a three and a half hour flight across the Tasman, but weren't flat bed, so wouldn't be so good for long haul. Aircraft was spotlessly clean and staff were very friendly and attentive. The food was more than acceptable and we had nothing to complain about. All the other airlines crossing the Tasman during the Christmas holidays were asking twice as much as China Airlines.
RouteBNE to AKL
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"seats were pretty beat up"

(Spain)

Verified Review | Vienna to Denpasar via Taipei. China Airlines is pretty decent and the price was really good. We had a great experience considering the price and only a 3 hour layover. The seats were pretty beat up and a bit small, but leg space was good and service great. Taipei Airport had free wifi and ok alternatives for food. Inflight entertainment was lacking, with a very old small screen, but we didnt use it because we had our laptop to watch movies. The seats on the first plane did not have any headrest, but the second plane had it. I would not mind flying again, realising of course that companies like Qatar Airways, Emirates and Singapore Airlines are much better.
AircraftA340 / A330