China Airlines

"put on an earlier flight"

Trip Verified | Sydney to London via Taipei. Flight was originally on the 10th to London but rescheduled for the 11th because of a tropical storm heading towards Japan/Taiwan. I was upset because I was going to now miss the Semi final match between England and Croatia. I gave China airlines a ring was on hold for an hour (at this point I was ready to give up) and then was told at 10:15am that if I get to Sydney airport by 11am they would get me on an earlier flight and reach Taiwan before the storm does. So jumped in an Uber and was 5mins late. Thankfully I was put on an earlier flight as soon as I arrived!
RouteSydney to London via Taipei
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Entertainment was very dated"

Trip Verified | Taipei to Denpasar. After a substandard flight from LHR to Taipei via Amsterdam, I was transferred to Bali. The transfer process in Taipei airport isn’t as easy as other major hubs as it involved a lot of stairs and lifts and a very confusing layout. The CI lounge in T1 was very crowded and it didn’t feel like a hub lounge for a major airlines, and when the main lounge was crowded they sent passengers to a small lounge which felt like a classroom. Outward journey: we left Taipei ontime. Boarding was easy and smooth. To my disappointment it was an old A330 with very dated interior. The seating was comfortable for a 5 hour flight. Entertainment was again very dated. Unlike my experience with their long haul flight, shortfall flights with China Airlines seem to be a different class. All the crew members on this flight was very friendly and approachable, and they didn’t stop providing any food or drink throughout the flight. It was indeed one of the best flights I had in terms of services. Landed in Bali on time but it was a long wait for the luggage. Return journey: check in at Bali was very slow but the agents were all very friendly. Returning flight was a slightly newer plan (A330). Service was again better than most of the long haul flight but definitely not as good as the outbound journey. Arrival at Taipei was very efficient. Quick immigration check and luggage was out within few minutes.
RouteTaipei to Denpasar
Date FlownJune 2018

"not as good as EVA"

Trip Verified | OK service, issue with the planes I travelled London Heathrow to Taipei (with onward journey to Bali) in June with China Airlines. It involved a stop over at Amsterdam and the flight between London and Amsterdam was on KLM, while AMS to TPE was on China Airlines. Outbound flight left Amsterdam on time and arrived at Taipei few minutes ahead of schedule. China Airlines use new A350 for its European routes with the exception of Frankfurt. Once I got onboard I immediately noticed that the seat control panel wasn’t working. As a result there were only three possible positions throughout the flight – sit up, relax or flat bed. The table lamp was also disable because of this. I reported to the crew but they didn’t do anything until almost landing. Service was pretty efficient but not particularly warm nor friendly. Returning lag was slightly better. The CI lounge in Taipei terminal 1 was very dark and crowded until late evening. It was renovated 2-3 years ago but has started to show some sign of poor maintenance. The food and drink provided is substandard. Boarding was late by circa 20 minutes but the process was very easy for business class passengers. I was greeted by name by the cabin manager and the team which doesn’t always happen on CI long haul flights. Some of the crew members on this flight were exceptional. However I experienced problem again with the hardware. One of the toilets was out of order which means there was only one toilet for the business class cabin; the window shed in seat 14K was also broken. Seems to me that CI has a lot of maintenance issues. Overall it was a typical China Airlines long haul flight I’d expected. Nothing special and definitely not as good as it main competitor EVA. However the flight time suits me better (as EVA quite often involves a stop over at Bangkok).
RouteLHR to TPE via AMS
Date FlownJune 2018

"service was below average"

(Taiwan)

Trip Verified | Taipei to Beijing. They were just doing their job. Very few ground staffs were there to help with the boarding. The flight attendants made no greeting when boarding and very limited interaction during the entire flight. The guy sitting next to me did not straight the seat back when takeoff and landing yet no cabin crew paid attention to it. The meal was okay. I am not picky about flight meal at all. A flight attendant sat on the jump seat with her legs crossed and stared into space after meal service. Together, the service was below average regarding Asia's airline but I would fly with China Airlines again if the ticket goes really affordable.
RouteTaipei to Beijing
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"Los Angeles to Taipei"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Taipei. As a mother travelling with infant, it was really hard time to keep baby feeling comfortable and didn't disturb to other passengers. But the flight crews helped me too many things during the flight. I do appreciate the cabin staff help. I would recommend about China Airlines. Good Service!
RouteLos Angeles to Taipei
Date FlownApril 2018

"be flying China Airlines again"

Trip Verified | Sydney to London via Taipei. As a family of 2 adults and a 14month old traveling to the UK, a balance of comfort and budget was important and after extensive research, I decided to give China Airlines a try since they’ve opened a 1 stop route SYD - LGW on brand new A350’s with a design awarded business cabin. I’ve flown business to the UK before with Qantas and Malaysian Airlines. Pre flight was simple with online pre-selection of meals, seats and free WiFi offer available but no limo service. Business check in counter and express path for security meant quick transit to the SkyTeam lounge which wasn’t as nice as the Qantas lounge and limited food & bev options. Priority boarding was available and once on board, the choice of the China Airlines business product proved itself to be a good one. The cabin and lighting is excellent, the flat bed seats/suites are modeled on Qatar and are spacious & comfortable. With an evening departure, our son slept with my wife for most of the SYD - TPE leg. A large screen with IFE including Pepper Pig kept him amused for the short time he was awake. Only downside was some language barriers with several stewardesses & western food was below average. TPE airport transit was straight forward with a modern comfortable lounge, baby room and showers along with good Asian food available. TPE - LGW boarded quickly again with priority boarding for business but once on board, the service stood out as better than the prior leg, largely because the cabin staff all spoke better English. The rules are more relaxed on this airline so letting our son play with his toys in the footwell area of my seat when he was awake was a big plus (Qantas would not have allowed this for safety reasons I suspect). Qantas also insist on making your baby sleep with the baby seat belt attachment on which is awkward and unhelpful when he’s already asleep. The food was also better on this leg and Pol Roger 2006 vintage pink champagne was excellent! Overall, My wife and I felt the seat product is superior to Qantas’ new business product which we flew to Hawaii in Nov. the in-flight service & food is inferior but here’s what the compromise gets you and your family, business return to London for 2/3rds of the Qantas cost or most other premium airlines prices. I’m a gold frequent flyer with Qantas but if they can’t get closer in price, I’ll be flying with China Airlines again for the next UK visit.
RouteSydney to London via Taipei
Date FlownMay 2018

"had a great experience"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Flew China Airlines May 8th from Manila to Taipei. In my opinion their service is one of the best. FA's are very friendly and accommodating. There is no meal option for the flight but meal is superb. I had a great experience.
AircraftA330-300
RouteManila to Taipei
Date FlownMay 2018

"friendly and professional"

Trip Verified | Tokyo to Taipei. Great customer service. We were late and they helped us through security and ran with us to show us the gate. Very friendly and professional, highly recommended. The food isn't the best but is average. Drink service is nice (tea, coffee, water, wine). Lots of new movies, Hollywood and subtitled Japanese and Chinese as well.
RouteTokyo to Taipei

"recommend China Airlines"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to Sapporo via Taipei. Skiing trip over Easter to Japan, staff very friendly both in the air and on the ground. In flight entertainment was pretty good. Food and drinks were also pretty good, with the exception of one breakfast (western choice) which was not good, some combination of omelette, ham and pasta. All in all I would highly recommend China Airlines and already booked the next flight to London.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteBrisbane to Sapporo via Taipei
Date FlownMarch 2018

"staff were polite and friendly"

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Taipei was a pleasant enough experience. Check-in was easy, staff were polite and friendly and the cabin crew were accommodating enough. Taipei to Gatwick was a little disappointing but not terrible. Our flight was delayed by 30 minutes. Cabin crew were pretty cold, very rarely showing a smile and we felt more of an inconvenience than appreciated customers. Food was ok, and whilst they would bring drinks when asked, they were often a bit stingy with amounts poured. If you go in with low expectations as I did I think you'll actually be surprised. Not terrible, but certainly not special.
RouteTaipei Taoyuan to London Gatwick