Top 100 Airlines

American Eagle

"if you can avoid American"

Check-in was smooth. Staff nice for the most part. Seats are uncomfortable. All flights have been delayed, or cancelled. Flying back to Manchester (NH) flight was delayed and weren't able to fly back until 3 days later, staff did not handle, and we were yelled at. We decided to fly JetBlue to Boston the next day and rent a car to drive to Manchester. We didn't get a refund, or money, or credits, for staying at the airport hotel overnight, the JetBlue flight or the rental car. If you can avoid American.
RouteMHT to PHL via DCA
Date FlownJune 2016

"delayed again, then canceled"

Avoid American Eagle at all costs. I live near Roanoke and most of my flights have to go through American Eagle. I have lived in the area for 3 years and never had an on time flight with them. The last time I flew with them, they canceled my flight at boarding time "because there weren't enough people", and I swore them off. I had no choice today, however, and now I'm typing this from a hotel in Charlotte after my flight was delayed, then delayed again, then canceled.
RouteROA to CLT
Date FlownAugust 2016

"a vast contrast"

Verified Review | Flew American Eagle from Columbus to New York. There is a vast contrast between flying American Airlines mainline and American Eagle. American Eagle (AE) is to be avoided if you have any other option, especially if your route uses one of their old embraer or bombardier planes that insist on gate checking roll on bags, CRJ700, ERJ140 and ERJ145. American Airlines mainline are my airline of choice especially when flying internationally. I fly AE in and out of Columbus frequently to connect with the AA mainline international flights. I used to book Delta Connect (DC) flights on separate tickets to avoid AE but the DC schedules changed making that option impractical. As examples, with AE you have a 50/50 chance of arriving in Columbus and having to wait a couple of hundred yards back from the gate for about 10 minutes until the below wing ground handlers saunter out of their break room to marshall the aircraft onto stand. You can then wait an average of 15-20 minutes to have your gate checked bag delivered back to the jet bridge. DC normally do this in under 3 minutes for the same aircraft type. If you hold check a bag you better allow yourself a full 45 minutes before it will be delivered on the carousel. With any weather disruptions anywhere in the AA network they will delay and cancel the AE flights, especially the flights in and out of their 2nd tier bases, to the benefit of the mainline and hub flights. Then you will get a shrug of the shoulders from their staff and a statement that because it is weather related the airline bears no responsibility for any delays etc.. You will have about a 20% chance of a maintenance issue on any given flight with this older fleet. Normally it will take 20 minutes to fix the issue and then typically an hour to update the maintenance logbook before you journey can continue. It is unfortunate that the AE below wing operations are so bad as their above wing staff do appear to hustle and to be nice to the passengers.
AircraftE145
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteCMH to LGA
Date FlownMay 2016

"gave a snack and beverage service"

Phoenix to Bakersfield with American Eagle. Very quick flight 1 hour and 10 minutes. It was on time departure and arrival. Planes are the smaller ones like 25 seats. I had a aisle seat. It was fine for economy and the size of the plane. Comfortable flight. Flight attendant gave a snack and beverage service. Nice to have a service from Bakersfield to Phoenix. Both ways the plane is plenty full.
RoutePHX to BFL
Date FlownMay 2016

"extremely rude to us"

Coming back from Phoenix to Des Moines over spring break. Tried to check in curb side (as others were already doing). No one seemed to know what was going on. We were told to go the the guy next to one lady. He sent us back to her. They were both extremely annoyed with us. Then she sent us back to him and he said his computer wasn't working to go inside and check in. There were several people outside that were able to check in except for us. They were extremely rude to us. Went inside to check in and it was compete chaos. The check in computers were not very user friendly. Everyone working seemed extremely stressed out. Finally got up to the gate and once again they were stressed out saying they were short of help. The seats on the planes both going to and coming home were the most uncomfortable seats that we have ever had to sit in. Will definitely avoid American if possible.
RoutePHX to DSM
Date FlownMarch 2016

"wonderful in-flight staff"

No overhead space to speak of, wonderful in-flight staff. Flight on time, and very comfortable seats. These planes are really too small for people of my stature. It is very sad what American Airlines has done to STL, with sad and disgruntled staff.
AircraftRegional Jet
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteSTL to ORD
Date FlownMarch 2016

"service is extremely basic"

Flew American Eagle from Albuquerque - Los Angeles and return. I decided to pay the extra for First Class because I wanted the sole seat 2A. The seat is very comfortable and there's plenty of space. The flight crews and cabin crews were great. Very friendly and helpful. The service though is extremely basic. No food only nuts, chips and cookies. It would be nice to offer the First Class passengers some sandwiches at the very least. The tickets are very expensive and there is nothing special about the on board 'fare'. The wi-fi on board is good but it is also not complimentary, you have to pay. Again, why not offer that for free to First Class passengers? On the ground in LA I was told that I could not use the Admirals Lounge because it is not for "First Class domestic passengers". Again the ticket is very expensive and I don't understand why domestic First Class cannot use the lounges. Dollars per mile, I am sure that American makes more money on their domestic First Class than on their international routes. I had to extend my trip and when I changed my ticket I was charged an additional $358.00!!! Outrageous! So, my ticket ended up costing over $1,200! I will think twice about flying with American when booking my next flight. They only seem interested in making money and not customer satisfaction.
AircraftEmbraer ERJ175
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteABQ to LAX
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"experience was mediocre "

(Hungary)

This is a short 30 min flight from ORD to IND, last leg of our long trip. The interior of the plane was horrible. There was no service, they said at the beginning, if we want something, call the attendants, but they will not go through the aircraft. All in all we got to the destination, but the overall experience was mediocre at best with indifferent staff.
AircraftEmbraer
RouteORD to IND
Date FlownOctober 2015

"inflight experience not good"

(China)

Salt Lake City to Los Angeles was the worst experience among our four American Airline/American Eagle flights. I tried to change my Frequent Flyer Number on the self-service kiosk but it didn't work, so I ask one of their check-in lady to do that when she was printing our baggage labels. But I just found out that she did not change it at all as this flight counted in my BA program rather than my CX program I ask her to change. Secondly, the flight was delayed due to technical issue. Which was all fine because people understand that it is for the sake of their lives. However, the AA maintenance in Salt Lake City was so inefficient as it took them more than 40 minutes to arrive at the aircraft and commence the problem shooting. After delayed for about 2 hours, we started to board. However that is not the end, after all passengers took their seats, we have two passengers who did not show up but the aircraft was full. Ground services and the flight attendants counted the number for more than 5 times and decided it was ok. Unfortunately there seemed to be another technical problem which held us for another 30 minutes. The total delay was more than 3 hours and the inflight experience was not good either, both lavatories were out of function shortly after beverage service. My personal opinion towards the AA domestic flight is that it depends on luck if they delay, cancel your flight or lost track of you baggage.
AircraftERJ175
RouteSLC to LAX
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"great legroom"

San Francisco to Los Angeles. On time and quick and efficient at check in and at the boarding gate. Great legroom because we somehow got put into the extra legroom seats. Comfy seat for the quick one hour flight down to LAX. I was shocked as an Australian there is no proper welcome when you step onboard the plane directing you to your seat. For takeoff and landing in Australia you must have the window shade up, but as we were coming in to land in LAX not one of the cabin crew came and asked to open the window shade. I could recline in economy during takeoff and landing.
AircraftEmbraer 175