American Eagle

"they allowed overbooking"

Verified Review | Chicago to Toronto, they allowed overbooking - resulted in finding volunteers in current flight to move to next flight and resulted in delaying. I was very surprised by the fact that they allowed overbooking, and they had to find 4 volunteers to move to the next flight. The crew member mentioned that the current flight will not be going anywhere until they find volunteers to move to the next flight. Is this a joke? It's a simple math that if the flight is full, they should not take any more customers, but it happened. Not only this delayed the departure time, they provided no compensation whatsoever for people who waited to meet their schedule; this is outrageous. They are ruthless when it comes to customers being late to board on the flight, and if it's other way around, they want our patience - very frustrating. Another problem was that the flight landed in Cleveland to fuel their gas. This was very upsetting because this implies that they did not fully fuel their gas to get to Toronto. I can't stop myself thinking that they can't do math. This delayed another 2 hours or so, and we finally landed to Toronto at 5:00 pm, instead of 2:31 pm. I have nothing more to say about this airplane other than it's stupid and lazy. Only good thing to talk about is that the flight crew lady on the plane was very nice and tried her best to keep us calm. She needs a raise for covering others' problems.
RouteChicago to Toronto
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"check their punctuality!"

Verified Review | Montreal to New York JFK. Please be aware before buying a ticket with this airline, check their punctuality!. This particular flight seems to be almost always delayed by close to 90 minutes. I found out through checking Flightstats that this flight (and apparently many more) in the last 12 consecutive days: - 9 of 12 days has been delayed for more than 90 minutes (up to 184 minutes) - 2 of 12 days was cancelled and only on ONE day out of 12 days actually arrrived at the scheduled time ETA. If your travel or work schedule depends on this, choose another connection. AA does not reemburse bought tickets for their proven inability to comply with ticketed departure and arrival times. I had to buy a second ticket to leave Montreal 3 hours earlier.
RouteMontreal to New York JFK
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Fairly standard flights"

(New Zealand)

Verified Review | Stewart-Newburgh to Toronto via Philadelphia. Fairly standard flights on American Eagle. The flight crew were OK (with one on PHL-YYZ being particularly friendly) and the Valet service for carry on bags works well. The wonderful thing for me was that these flights were on time (as I had tracked them for several weeks before flying and they were often late). The seats and legroom on these smaller aircraft is quite tight.
AircraftEmbraer 145 / E175
RouteStewart-Newburgh to Toronto via Philadelphia

"What a shambles"

Verified Review | We are from Australia and flew American Eagle for first time. Never again. We got on the plane in Charleston to fly to Miami after a 2 hour delay. Got to the runway and sat for 30 minutes with nobody telling us anything. Eventually pilot said the plane was too heavy and we needed to return to gate. As there was another plane already there we had to sit on the tarmac for another 20 mins. We eventually got back to the gate where they asked 8 passengers to volunteer to get off. 8 people volunteered and got off. 20 mins later they returned and they started taking fuel off the plane instead. What a shambles. Over 3 hrs late the plane took off. After complaining to American Eagle they offered us a $50 voucher valid for 12 months. I said we live in Australia it's no good to us as we won't be back here for a while. Take it our leave it they said. First time we have flown with American Eagle. Never again. They are a disaster.
RouteCharleston to Miami
Date FlownMay 2017

"Very disorganized and chaotic "

Verified Review | Toronto to Charlotte. Very disorganized and chaotic at the boarding gate in Toronto. Delayed 90 minutes deleting. Maintenance. No food or what're nearby (Gate A9). Nearest food/refreshment A19. On arrival 15 minute delay at arrival gate - no gate agent. Really? The inability to get the easy things causes me to question the company's ability to execute safely.
AircraftCanadair CL 65
RouteToronto to Charlotte

"unpleasant all around"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to San Francisco. I'm a platinum level member of American Airlines. I travel the SFO to LAX with return flight almost weekly. 2017 they made changes subbing out the short flights to American eagle. American eagle is already inconvenient due to the shuttle bus you have to take from the main terminals. Everything is slow and experience is unpleasant all around. So far this year 4 of 4 flights have had significant mechanical plane failures where I've been delayed up to three hours at a time. Unless AA changes these routes to normal planes in and out of terminal four at LAX they are going to lose a very valuable customer.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteLAX to SFO
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"satisfactory experience"

(Qatar)

Verified Review | Houston to Chicago. This was a codeshare flight with Etihad. Had a smooth checkin and courteous check in staff at IAH Houston. I lnked the aircraft as it was my first Embraer aircraft experience, just a basic aircraft with no frills and hype. 2x2 seat configuration and was served a coke and pretzels. Overall a satisfactory experience with American Eagle.
AircraftEmbraer 175
RouteIAH to ORD
Date FlownAugust 2016

"worst experience ever"

Ft Walton to Albany via Washington. The attitude of the person at the desk was inapproprate. The airline overbooked the flight and was asking for a person to come forward and take a later flight. Why airlines overbook I'll never know but his attitude was really nasty. He said in an annoyed voice that if no one came forward it will delay the flight and everyone would miss there connecting flight. Sounded like a threat to me and many other people. Secondly to make your connecting flight you have to be bused from the plane to a waiting area and then bused back. People wind up standing - on the bus both ways, in the waiting area etc. I fortunately had check my bag at Ft. Walton but those that did not have to get their luggage and bring it on the bus both ways. What a mess. Will never fly American again. Worst experience ever and I fly quite often!
RouteVPS to ALB via IAD
Date FlownOctober 2016

"if you can avoid American"

Check-in was smooth. Staff nice for the most part. Seats are uncomfortable. All flights have been delayed, or cancelled. Flying back to Manchester (NH) flight was delayed and weren't able to fly back until 3 days later, staff did not handle, and we were yelled at. We decided to fly JetBlue to Boston the next day and rent a car to drive to Manchester. We didn't get a refund, or money, or credits, for staying at the airport hotel overnight, the JetBlue flight or the rental car. If you can avoid American.
RouteMHT to PHL via DCA
Date FlownJune 2016

"delayed again, then canceled"

Avoid American Eagle at all costs. I live near Roanoke and most of my flights have to go through American Eagle. I have lived in the area for 3 years and never had an on time flight with them. The last time I flew with them, they canceled my flight at boarding time "because there weren't enough people", and I swore them off. I had no choice today, however, and now I'm typing this from a hotel in Charlotte after my flight was delayed, then delayed again, then canceled.
RouteROA to CLT