Air Mauritius

"do things the old Mauritian way"

Verified Review | Mauritius to London Heathrow. Really good flight, Check in very quick and easy followed by swift Fast Track immigration. At 6'4" I always find the seats a bit difficult but was surprised that these Old Type seats were very comfortable in sitting mode and also sleep mode. Not Lie flat but fine as I managed 9 hours sleep. No dinner for me as the flights are evening 2200 departures and I do not wish to eat that late. Woke in time for breakfast which was OK. Looking forward to the A350 on this route soon. Entertainment very old and not worth bothering with, staff were very friendly but still do things the old Mauritian way.
AircraftA340-300
RouteMauritius to London
Date FlownAugust 2017

"I managed 9 hours sleep"

Verified Review | After a bad flight a few years ago I decided to fly again as they are the only non stop flights from Heathrow to Mauritius. Glad I did despite the old aircraft I managed 9 hours sleep and found the seats more comfortable than expected as they are not flat. Didn't have dinner but woke early for breakfast which was very good. The crew were friendly and smiled except for one. Looking forward to my return and looking forward to the new aircraft A350 at the end of this year. Only problem for me is the chaos at Heathrow boarding gates (gate 8) as Business Class passengers are unable to see the signs or even get through the chaotic crows! Maybe an announcment would be helpful or heaven forbid maybe one of the many managers standing doing nothing at the gate could assist?
RouteLondon to Mauritius
Date FlownAugust 2017

"worst flight experience"

Verified Review | Singapore to Mauritius. The worst flight experience. We should have flown on a Budget airline to Mauritius for a better experience! There was an hour delayed departure out from Singapore and the aircon in the plane was not working.  After take off, my husband's entertainment system was not working and we press the call bell and no one attend to us. I have to walk to the galley to inform crew about my husband's entertainment system not working.  After informing about the unserviceable system and I doubt he did anything because they were more concerned about meal service.  Finally we get hold of another Stewardess and inform her and she said she will do it later as she was occupied.  When we receive our tray, I informed the 3rd crew again about the entertainment system and she said she will reset again and doubt that it will work. She offered a seat change but we paid for the exit row (USD50 each) to enjoy the extra legroom instead of having to move to another seat behind and be separated. There were many announcement throughout the flight duration.  First meal service was rushed and after that lights switched off within 2 hours. Our holiday mood to Mauritius was dampened by the experience with Air Mauritius.
AircraftA330-200
RouteSingapore to Mauritius
Date FlownJune 2017

"provided an excellent service"

Verified Review | Paris to Mauritius on May 1st. Had a great experience, flight boarded and left on time. The staff were very pleasant, friendly and extremely helpful. The food on board was good and the flight attendant came around several time for beverage. The one negative comment I would have to say is the individual screen have seen better days. I understand it's an older aircraft, but something has to be done about those screen. overall Air Mauritius provided an excellent service and have impressed us. Good job
RouteParis to Mauritius
Date FlownMay 2017

"lack of service and unfriendly staff"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | We travelled with Air Mauritius two days ago for our honeymoon from Cape Town. We were bitterly disappointed in the lack of service and unfriendly staff. We waited 2 hours before being served a drink and ended up getting our meal at the same time. The entertainment system did not work for half the flight. When we asked for some water, we were forgotten and we had to get up and ask again, even after ringing the bell to alert them. To top it off one of the air hostesses rolled her eyes at us on three separate occasions: when she had to give way to us in the passage, when we asked her to remove the empty cups and when my husband needed the bathroom before landing. Not a great start to our honeymoon! Very disappointing! We are due to fly back on the 20th April, let's hope we are better received this time.
RouteCape Town to Mauritius
Date FlownApril 2017

"don't expect any smile"

(Réunion)

Verified Review | A319 from Cape Town to Mauritius and ATR72 between Mauritius and Réunion. The staff was not friendly. They serve the meal without watching you, don't expect any smile. The food was poor. The A319 looks old inside, no modern entertainment like personal screen. On the ATR its the same, but flights are short so it's not a problem. The real good thing with Air Mauritius, is the number of lines from Mauritius. And prices are correct. I know the company is going to change some aircraft soon. A good thing for sure. Let's hope that will bring back smile on crew's faces too.
RouteCape Town to Mauritius
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"also gave us an upgrade"

Verified Review | We were traveling to Mauritius for my sons wedding. It started off a nightmare leaving Melbourne on a Qantas flight - we had so much terrible boarding the plane, as there was a mistake made with my name on my tickets (different from my passport). After a few hours of stress trying to resolve the situation, and the stress of not knowing whether I could board the plane, it was resolved.. In Melbourne they said I would have problems in Perth when I board Air Mauritius. At Perth we went to the Air Mauritius counter fearing the worst. It was not the case. A beautiful lady there helped us. She made us feel at ease right from the start, even had a little joke with us, and she fixed the problem straight away with no drama. She also gave us an upgrade - we were blown away! Thank you Air Mauritius.
RoutePerth to Mauritius
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"staff unhappy and unmotivated"

Verified Review | Mauritius to London. Checkin was chaotic leading to long queues with not enough staff to deal with it and looking visibly unhappy too. It took about 1.5 hours to get to front of queue for checkin. We boarded late only then to sit for about an hour in swelteringly hot and airless cabin before takeoff as the auxiliary power unit was not on, probably to save the airline money as the crew were unwilling to say more than they were suffering too and encouraged me to complain to the airline. Once again, staff unhappy and unmotivated. Requests to talk to senior crew member were ignored and they only came to answer my call button to switch it off, muttering 'later' or words to that effect. No choice of breakfast offered but what came was the most unappetising on any flight I have ever had. The entertainment was very outdated - tiny screen with picture shaking so much that it was unwatchable. And also poor choice of films. On the plus side, the seats were relatively comfortable but only for normal-size passengers. On our outbound flight, the rather large gentleman behind me was in visible pain due to lack of room for his girth/legs. Not that the stewardesses offered any solutions. Luckily, I found another seat so I moved instead to give him more room. As our chosen seats when booking had been unceremoniously reallocated to others by the time we checked in (another first experience for me) this wasn't too much of a hardship.
RouteMRU to LHR
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"same appalling service"

Verified Review | Mauritius to Perth. Flight to Mauritius was delayed for 2 hours. No explanation, then was cancelled with no warning. A guy from Air Mauritius came out and yelled over the top of everyone saying flight has been cancelled come back tomorrow at the same time, then just walked off like that. No one knew what was going on or what to do. Then when we returned the next day the flight was delayed a further 4 hours with the same poor service. Now on my way home flight is delayed a further 2 hours with the same appalling service. What a joke of an airline and the staff need to work on their customer service too!
RouteMRU to PER
Date FlownNovember 2016

"crew very friendly"

Mauritius to Durban. Luckily we sat in the front row with the babies and kids. The legroom was excellent. However the legroom for the other seats I noticed was miserable. Tall passengers with their legs in the aisle. Aircraft was clean, crew very friendly and breakfast excellent on this 4 hour flight. However after 1 month I still have not been credited with my miles in my Air France account. Pretty annoying.
RouteMRU to DUR