Airline of the Year

Air Canada rouge

"This should never happen"

Verified Review | Air Canada vacation from Ottawa to Jamaica via Toronto return, flights delayed both ways, bags lost. Services for disabled all but discontinued. I am 67, forced to go without a wheelchair and run/hobble between gates at times while being admonished for not running faster. My 69 year old wife forced to pick up our bags, take me, her and the bags through customs, take the bags, me and the wheelchair to a baggage drop area, deposit the bags herself, run to the next gate pushing the wheelchair only to have our wheelchair confiscated. This should never happen.
RouteOttawa to Jamaica via Toronto
Date FlownMarch 2017

"impossible to sit in those seats"

Verified Review | Miami to Toronto. The worst of the worst airlines out there. I stand 6'3" and we specifically asked for emergency exit seats. That is not what I got when we boarded. It was almost impossible for me to sit in those seats. I will never again fly this sardine can in the sky. My advise to anyone looking to fly Air Canada Rouge,look elsewhere.
RouteMiami to Toronto

"very unpleasant experience"

Verified Review | Nassau to Toronto. I had a very unpleasant experience with Air Canada rouge. On my way back to Canada after a delightful vacation in Nassau, Bahamas, our flight (AC1817) was delayed by 35 minutes which ended up being 1 hour late. This delay resulted in missing my connecting flight from Toronto to Montreal. I was very disappointed by the poor customer service. When we landed in Toronto at 11:52 pm, I was told by a flight attendant that it was likely that our plane departing at 12:30 am would wait for us as we were 15 passagers heading to Montreal or Ottawa. I ran to the baggage carrousel and was then told at 12:15 am by an Air Canada representative that our flight to Montreal was waiting for us. At 12:23 am, the same rep confirmed that the plane was leaving without us. I was then redirected to a customer service office were they gave me and my sister a $20 food coupon to eat at the airport. As the flight that we missed was the last one of the night, I ended up sleeping on the floor at Pearson's airport until 6:00 am (boarding time of my next flight). I booked my vacations through Air Canada and it was not cheap. I was expecting a great customer service. The entertainment 'app' wasn't working on our way to Nassau. Very displeased with my whole experience.
RouteNassau to Toronto

"very good experience"

Verified Review | We flew from Vancouver thru Toronto to Barbados with Air Canada rouge. All of the staff was friendly, professional and courteous. Remember that you are flying on a discount airline so seating is tighter and not as comfortable. You will offset price for comfort. The flights were on time and we can not complain. If you want meals and better leg room then you need to pay more for a different flight. I felt that we were treated well and got good value for the money. On the return trip the counter staff moved us to a flight with less of a layover for no charge. I chatted with the captain for a few minutes while boarding. Everyone was pleasant and helpful. Very good experience.
RouteVancouver to Barbados via Toronto
Date FlownMay 2017

"like to point out my discontent"

Verified Review | Epic flights and unacceptable lack of information. Montreal to Nassau via Toronto after being advised by e-mail of a possible delay in flights to Toronto, I was able to anticipate and change my Montreal-Toronto flight for another departing 5 hours earlier. It caused me long hours of waiting in Toronto but at least I could have my transfer to Nassau. Return no email notification of possible delays. Yet the Air Canada AC 1817 flight from Nassau to Toronto takes off 40 minutes late. Arriving 40 minutes late in Toronto, passengers in transit to Montreal were advised that the Toronto-Montreal AC 7564 flight will wait for them, but they must rush to retrieve their bags and return to customs. The suitcases took a little time to arrive but finally, after having recovered them, we were advised that the plane actually had left, without us! It was the last flight for Montreal, the next flight leaving the next morning. Given the late hour (1am when I was rebooked), it was of course impossible to get a room at any hotel to return a few hours later at the airport. So we had to spend the night at the airport and leave the next morning, which caused me a lot of inconveniences. If a delay could be acceptable, it would have been appropriate to notify passengers by e-mail as they did in the first place, in order to allow us to make arrangements. Moreover, it is unacceptable to tell us that the flight will wait for us to tell us 10mn later, after we crossed the airport running with our suitcases, that it actually left without us! This is not the first time that I have been directly affected by Air Canada's deplorable service and I would like to point out my discontent with traveling with you.
RouteNassau to Montreal via Toronto
Date FlownMay 2017

"was a very pleasant experience"

Verified Review | Montreal to Casablanca. Was expecting a pretty basic experience from the reviews, but it was a very pleasant experience. All the flight attendants were super friendly and accommodating, unlike some other North American carriers. We opted for the 'Preferred Seating', which gave us 34 inches of legroom. The seats were decently comfortable. There were no in flight entertainment screens built into the back of the seats though. You have to download their Air Canada app to watch streaming entertainment on your tablet/mobile. The overhead bins in the 767's were super tiny though. About as small as the bins in a regional jet. Food was average - but serviceable. Would totally fly with them again especially to Morocco since there is a laptop ban from flights from Morocco directly to the USA!
RouteMontreal to Casablanca
Date FlownMay 2017

"definitely travel Rouge again"

Verified Review | I am surprised to see a low overall score here. I was pleasantly surprised with this airline. We travelled Toronto to Cancun return for our wedding and the staff was good (better on the way there than the way back), the seats were slightly wider than other airlines I've flown economy in. Leg room was far better as well. The food was good and the staff gave us free wine on the way down because it was our wedding. I would definitely travel Rouge again.
RouteToronto to Cancun
Date FlownMay 2017

"one of the worst flights"

Verified Review | Mexico City to Toronto. This is the first time I have been on an Air Canada Rouge flight. I had a round trip from Toronto to Mexico City and it was a terrible downgrade from previous Air Canada service to Mexico City. Air Canada no longer allows 1 free check bag for economy class. This is promoted as an offer to reduce flight cost, even there is no way of making a comparison on price when it is in constant fluctuation, and I definitely paid the same as I have in the past of economy Air Canada price that use to include 1 check bag (and previously a meal as well). The cost of a flight with baggage included was nearly $350 dollars more! The rouge flight only provides online entertainment that you must use you table, smartphone or laptop, but provides no plug in to charge your device, my laptop ran out after about 2 hours on the flight. This would be a further problem if you are arriving somewhere and need to communicate but have no battery left on your phone! Air Canada overbooked flight. There were numerous passengers that paid and booked flight but could not board because the flight was show to be overbooked. If you do not check-in online or pay for a seat selection, you are not guaranteed a seat. As a result I had to wait until 10 minutes before boarding so I could have a seat confirmation, which turned out to be in the back row by the washrooms. I was seated with two other large men. Flight attendants were rude and hit my knee and elbow about 3 times moving their food cart through the aisle - maybe it was my fault because my knee was tilted the wrong way, but they also knew the three large men stuck in one aisle were very uncomfortably squished into their row. Was one of the worst flights I have taken. I will definitely be changing my preference of giving them my business at the first opportunity.
RouteMexico City to Toronto
Date FlownMay 2017

"did the job but with a smile"

Verified Review | Toronto to Puerto Vallarta. I'm very spoiled, I get to mostly fly up front when I fly but Rouge was the option and it was a one stop through Toronto so I took it. I'd heard horror stories, so I booked the aisle exit row and hoped for the best. I was really pleasantly surprised. Now it was one of the brand new Airbus 321's that Rouge have bought but there was so much room in my exit row seat that the guy in the window seat (nobody between) could walk right around me. The big thing was the crew who were young, had a sense of humour and did the job but with a smile. What a difference from regular Air Canada these days. I would take these guys again, not sure how bad it would be on a 767 but on these new 321's yes absolutely. The entertainment through the wifi on my phone was awesome and I bought something to eat in the terminal and took it onboard. Whatever. The flight was on time, it's Air Canada and I thought it was pretty good.
RouteToronto to Puerto Vallarta
Date FlownApril 2017

"What you've heard is true"

Verified Review | Flew Air Canada Rouge from Montreal to Dublin. Never again. What you've heard is true. Rouge is just awful. Seats that left me aching for 2 days, inedible food, and a new low in overnight travel - a seeming unwillingness to dim cabin lights. Attendants were downright cranky, and the plane was just plain filthy. Inflight wifi was problematic. Never ever again. I'll take a stop over, pay more, and pass on miles before flying Rouge. Air Canada, this is just an embarassment.
RouteMontreal to Dublin