Air Canada rouge

"excellent value for money"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Barcelona to Lima via Toronto. Excellent performance overall. This is a low-cost leisure carrier, not Singapore Airlines, so set your expectations accordingly. My partner and I both thought that for the price paid (750 euros each for two round-trip long-haul flights, Barcelona-Toronto and Toronto-Lima, with a 5 day stopover in Toronto), Rouge provided excellent value for money. The planes are old but well maintained and clean (including toilets). The staff were pleasant throughout. The seats are fine, with adjustable headrests, not overly narrow and certainly no worse (probably better) than the 3-4-3 layout you find on some newer 777 aircraft. A blanket and pillow come on each seat, and I was able to sleep on the night flights. There are no personal screens, and the app which you download is hit and miss, the music selection terrible. Bring a book. The food is not great and limited in quantity, but it's free, and on one of the flights I asked for an extra bread roll and was offered an entire second meal. My partner asked for something from the menu card, was told it wasn't available and was then given a gin-tonic for free - so they are making an effort. Staff are generally friendly, hardworking and efficient, given their low numbers, perhaps one negative is that on one flight (Lima-Toronto) grooming standards were laughably low. Connections in Montreal and Toronto were well handled. Of the 5 flights (4 Rouge plus one Air Canada domestic flight from YUL to YYZ), only one was late (BCN-YUL), we were met by Air Canada staff who had new boarding passes ready for the following flight, plus $40 dollars in vouchers which we didn't have time to use, but since they are valid for 1 year, we used them at Toronto airport three weeks later. Our bill at the airport restaurant we chose came close to $70 including alcohol, but staff took the vouchers and waived the difference! Perfect! 1 bag from Toronto-Lima didn't arrive, but probably our fault as we checked it in late. It was delivered to our hotel by the following morning. Points were added to our Lufthansa Miles & More cards. I'd probably look for alternatives next time, but if if value is what you want, then they can deliver.
RouteBarcelona to Lima via Toronto
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"dated and uncomfortable seats"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Berlin. This was the worst overseas flight of my life. Horribly dated and uncomfortable seats, very poor beverage and food service, terrible seat positioning (right next to the back toilet, really?!) and overall a horrible decision. Air Canada Rouge has been my worst experience so far, and I would not suggest it to anyone.
RouteToronto to Berlin
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"disappointed with the services"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Ft Lauderdale. Air Canada used to be great, with delightful service, great in-flight entertainment, legroom, and comfortable seats. When they realized that they have the monopoly and can charge whatever they want, they took the oldest planes from the main fleet, got rid of their IFEs, cut down on crew members, packed more seats onto the plane, and charged the same price as they used to with Air Canada rouge. They can't lose customers because a lot of people have no where else to go! I checked in early for my flight, on the app, but I received row 32, the last row on the plane. IFE weren't supposed to be an issue for me because they replaced it with mobile entertainment. Air Canada gave me an alert saying the service is unavailable on my fully capable product, running the correct version of iOS and the app. Ok, we don't have IFE, let's buy wifi. Right? Nope. 8.95 CAD/hour. I'm very disappointed with the services provided on Air Canada rouge.
RouteToronto to Ft Lauderdale
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"seats are extremely small"

Not Verified | Victoria to Toronto. Extremely disappointed with Air Canada Rouge, and feel like we were tricked into using this carrier when booking our trip on Air Canada's website. Major complaints were that the seats are extremely small with no cushioning or padding, I'm a size medium woman, about 170lbs, 5'8" and I barely fit in the seats, my knees were definitely in the back of the poor guy in front of me. Also, on a 4.5hr flight, we were offered water/beverages only one time, and it took over 2hrs to get the drinks going because they were so slow to move their way through the plane. I wish they wouldn't offer the charged snacks/meals because it really makes the service extremely slow. Line-ups for the one washroom were epic, they allowed about 10 people to line-up at once so we were constantly being elbowed and stepped on as we barely fit in the seats and armrests are so tiny. Service from flight crew was okay, but they were more concerned with gossiping in the back then providing water and comfort to their passengers. Flight crew was constantly announcing in French and not English and was loud. Rouge player didn't work. Bought a $40 wifi pass that didn't work. Dreading our next flight, also with Rouge unfortunately. Wish I could get a refund. Don't book with them!!
RouteVictoria to Toronto
Date FlownAugust 2018

"give a big warm shoutout"

Trip Verified | Just wanted to give a big warm shoutout to Diana, an amazing flight attendant on the Toronto To Prague flight on Aug 24 (Flight AC1923). She was so personable and helpful during the flight. I watched as she handled many tired and fussy passengers with ease and grace. Diana smiled from the moment we boarded to the minute we landed.
AircraftAC1923
RouteToronto to Prague
Date FlownAugust 2018

"no Spanish speaking staff"

Trip Verified | Bogota to Toronto. There was no Spanish speaking staff on the flight. I had to translate for the passenger seating beside me. The crew spoke a lot over the PA about things that were not important (creating memories, and other irrelevant information) and did not provide information like length of flight, temperature on arrival, etc. The pilot never greeted the passengers with information about the flight. They have an app for their entertainment system and the choices are outdated and extremely limited. There is no radio option to listen to varied music. The flight left in the evening and instead of offering a dinner, they offered a breakfast. I was starving when I went on board and I was offered only a candy bar and chips. Nothing till around 4 hours after and it was a breakfast choice. The ground crew were extremely disorganized on check in and boarding.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteBogota to Toronto
Date FlownAugust 2018

"seats are quite uncomfortable"

Not Verified | Montreal to Barcelona. The seats are quite uncomfortable and there is little to no leg room. When my girlfriend and I sat down, we noticed there weren't any screens on the seats. This came to a surprise, however, the staff informed us that there would be wifi on board to watch tv & movies during the flight. After takeoff, we inquired about the wifi and that it was not working. It was only then that they had mentioned we needed to download the app before takeoff, however, we could rent an iPad for $10 - although $10 is minimal in comparison to the cost of the flight, it's kick in the gut if you ask me. After dinner was served at 10:00pm, we would expect that the lights would have turned off. This was not the case. The staff did not dim any lights until 12:00am, and they proceeded to turn them back on at 2:00am to serve refreshments and breakfast. There was no personal overhead airvent, and it was left up to the staff to turn it on and off. I found myself cold, needing a blanket one minute and then so hot I'm sweating the next. I will pay the extra money to avoid Air Canada Rouge in the future.
RouteMontreal to Barcelona
Date FlownAugust 2018

"product is severely lacking"

Trip Verified | Fort Lauderdale to Toronto. Overall, the flight was okay, but there was several problems. The wifi on the aircraft was not working, and nor was the Rouge Player. Air Canada needs to step it up when it comes to their Rouge Planes, as this may prevent people from flying with them in the future. Other than that, seat was uncomfortable, and the meal service was quite limited especially going to the back rows, where it’s usually only Shawarma wraps and Soup left. To Conclude, Air Canada needs to start putting more money into Rouge as in my opinion the product is severely lacking.
AircraftA319-100
RouteFort Lauderdale to Toronto

"no screen in this A319"

Trip Verified | We flew from Vancouver to Panama City, connecting through Toronto. Flying with AC Rouge was everything but a good experience. Their planes are quite antiquated. On the A321, from Vancouver to Toronto, the USB plug was not functioning and the seat wouldn't recline correctly. The seat pitch is ridiculously small. Don't expect a snack or a blanket. The light was on for the 5 hours of the red eye flight. The entertainment system needs serious revamping. Hardware is old and not responsive. Poor content doesn't help the touch lag or the offset discrepancy. On the plus side, the staff on that flight was very friendly. The flight from Toronto to Panama City was worse. There's no screen in this A319 configuration so we were asked to download a 80 MB application which proved to be useless since the wifi was not working. There was USB plug to charge your device anyway so you don't know if your phone wouldn't die in the middle of a movie. No snack was offered. Last, the staff was not so friendly.
AircraftA319 and A321
RouteVancouver to Toronto

"missing our connection"

Trip Verified | Boston to Venice via Montreal. Our flight was delayed out of Boston and we ended up missing our connection. After a complete lack of information in Montreal we waited in line for an hour for what we though was rebooking our flights but turned out was just to issue us vouchers for a hotel and informed we had to call to change our flights. Missing our connection meant we lost a hotel in Venice and our train tickets the next day to Rome. There was a flight directly to Rome for less money that AC refused to put us on because we didn't book that flight. The Boston terminal is small, and has poor air conditioning.
RouteBoston to Venice via Montreal