Top 100 Airlines

Air Canada rouge

"never fly Rouge again"

Verified Review |San Diego to Toronto. Last minute travel requirements forced me onto an Air Canada Rouge flight. At 6'2" my legs were stuck in the seat back and I could not move for the duration of a 5 hour flight. Sitting near the back, there was no chance at a hot meal and the attendant seemed surprised I wanted to purchase a meal. These planes should be restricted to short-haul. Anyone who has an opportunity to choose another carrier even at a slightly higher cost will never be a repeat customer on Rouge. I have no clue what Air Canada is thinking jamming customers into a sub-class plane on a 5 hour flight. I will never fly Rouge again.
RouteSAN to YYZ
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"thought the crew was very good"

Verified Review | Venice to Toronto. I was glad I read the reviews of Air Canada Rouge before I flew it for the first time. It helped me set low expectations, which is the key to having a better experience. I was a bit nervous that our 9 hour flight from Venice to Toronto was going to be purely awful, but it wasn't as bad as expected. Check in was completed in about 3 minutes. The plane was on the older side, but was in fairly decent shape. The center bathroom in the middle of the plane is the largest bathroom I've ever been in on an airplane. Easily twice the size of a normal plane bathroom. We were in 25A/C and the seats are normal economy seats. It didn't feel more cramped than other economy cabins I've flown in. There is no entertainment available, so make sure you download the Air Canada app on your tablet or phone before you board. There are quite a few movie choices on the app, but most of them are old. We experienced no problems with the connectivity on this flight. On this flight we were offered a hot meal (pasta or chicken), a snack (bag of cookies) and then a hot snack (chicken or veggie wrap). Alcohol is available for purchase and the crew were constantly wandering through the cabin offering water. The food was decent and typical of other economy class meals I've had. I read a lot negative comments about the crew. Our experience was different. We thought the crew was very good. All of them were pleasant and helpful. Only one of them on our flight rarely smiled, but overall they were good. All of them are multilingual, speaking two, three or four languages. Whether or not our experience with Rouge was an anomaly, the key here is to know what to expect and adjust your expectations accordingly. And don't forget to download that app, or your flight will feel twice as long.
Aircraft767-300
RouteVCE to YYZ

"incredibly unprofessional"

Verified Review | I am a frequent flyer - within North America, Europe and to and from. Never have I come across such a disorganized and unprofessional airline. Myself and a friend paid for choice seating and weren't booked next to each other for all 4 of our flights. When we asked to be switched they said they couldn't do it, even though we paid for this feature. On our last leg from Toronto to Dublin our flight was overbooked and we got bumped to the flight the following day. The Air Canada rouge staff assured us that we would be put in a hotel and we would be able to collect our bags for that night. We just had a 12 hour layover in Toronto, we needed clean clothes from our luggage. After hours of sorting everything out the staff member waves us goodbye as we go to get our luggage. We get to the baggage claim and staff there is telling us we cannot collect our bags, they're put away and no one can get them until 9am. (It was 1am at this point). Of course we were angry, but we were more tired than anything so we decided to just go to the hotel. 25 minute drive to the hotel, we go to check in and the man at the front desk looks at us like we have 7 heads saying "Air Canada called and we told them we have no rooms available. We're fully booked, your booking doesn't exist". We're livid. We're exhausted. It's 2am at this point. We go all the way back to the airport to find that it's practically closed. There's about 3 airport employees none of whom know where we can find Air Canada employees. Eventually after wandering through "authorized personnel only" and "do not enter" areas we find a desk with a line of angry customers all in the exact same situation as we are. They put us in a new hotel and we didn't arrive until 3am. Incredibly unprofessional - I wouldn't recommend this airline to anyone.
RouteDUB to HAV via YYZ
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"the staff were excellent"

Toronto to Dublin. Poorly staffed and managed at Pearson Airport, Toronto. Couldn't change seats at check even though I checked in early as possible. This caused major concern as we were travelling with 2 small children one of whom is an infant and therefore was designated to sit on my lap. Our child's pushchair was sent directly to baggage hall on arrival in Dublin so I had to carry my luggage and small child all the way there. No inflight entertainment unless you have Apple technology and food was poor at best. The big positive is the staff were excellent and tried their best to help.
RouteYYZ to DUB

"Use it for convenience"

Verified Review | Winnipeg to Manchester via Toronto. Air Canada Rouge which claims to be a budget carrier but is as expensive as Air Canada. I only use Rouge because it gets me from Manchester to Toronto without changing. The seats are uncomfortable. There are no TV screens. The food is below average and alcohol is paid for. Service levels are below those of regular Air Canada flights. Use it for convenience, but nothing else.
RouteYWG to MAN via YYZ
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"our experience was awful"

Our experience with Air Canada Rouge was awful. In fairness, I should have done more research before buying the tickets. Our experience was Toronto to Dublin return. We flew from Toronto to Dublin on a red-eye flight, I can't comment on the experience too much as we were all asleep. The way back though was a nightmare. I was traveling by myself with our 2 year old daughter, and found out our plane from Dublin to Toronto was delayed by 2 hours when we got to the airport. I started to get worried though as we had a connecting flight in Toronto, and though the layover was 2.5 hours, 2 hours delay is starting to cut things close. After occupying ourselves for 5 hours at the airport (which was actually an amazing airport) we went to get on the plane to look forward to 7 hours of flying. As we boarded there was somebody on the flight not feeling well, and the plane (and everyone on board and with connecting flights) then waited for 30 more minutes to see if they were going to get better. So 2.5 hours late, 5.5 hours since getting to the airport, we take off. The staff were awful, no friendly service or smiles, and when I asked about what was going to happen to people with connecting flights, the attendant told me "You'll have to ask once you get to the airport"! Even further, there were no apologies by the flight staff or pilots the whole flight about the delay, and almost everyone on board missed their connecting flights. The service was the exact opposite of what customer service is. Needless to say, we missed our connecting flight, but we were the lucky ones. You have to download the Air Canada app to get any entertainment before you board, so 7 hours without any entertainment is more than you should ask of anyone. The only consolation was the food was pretty good and tasty.
RouteDUB to YYZ
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"doesn't have movies/headphone jacks"

Prague to Toronto. Violin Cruise Line booked my sister and me on Air Canada from Prague to Toronto. Little did I know that the flight was on Air Canada rouge that doesn't have movies/headphone jacks and expects one to know that one must fly with their own IPad and headphones plus download the Air Canada app prior to takeoff. They mention downloading the app but I did not realise it is mandatory to do so to be able to watch movies on one's cell phone or IPad until one is in the air and it is too late! (Unless you wish to rent their IPad). It was nearly 9 hours in a seat that did not recline with discount beverages and lousy meals.
RoutePRG to YYZ

"I am very disappointed"

Verified Review | My husband and I traveled to and from Athens from Toronto on Air Canada Rouge flights. The crew on board was an unhappy bunch. No service with a smile. The plane was dirty and we were crammed in like sardines. There was no snack offered before landing in Athens. The breakfast was a piece of banana bread wrapped in saran wrap served with coffee or juice. I am furious that there was a menu for items for purchase that in fact were not available except for items on page 3 which included licorice and potato chips. How could there not be water and other food items available for sale on an international flight? I guess having a captive audience means you can arbitrarily choose to limit menu options. If this is the case, tell passengers ahead of time so they are not at your mercy. I am very disappointed and will never fly Air Canada rouge again.
RouteYYZ to ATH
Date FlownAugust 2016

"dirty and absolutely worn out"

(Hungary)

Verified Review | Air Canada Rouge. Sounds nice somehow, but that's all it is. A nice sounding brand. Should be renamed to Air Canada Rough. First leg between Boston and Toronto on an old battered Embraer. Dirty and absolutely worn out. On the plus side I have to mention that they actually had free WiFi. Made me have good hopes for the second leg. Toronto Budapest. But what an illusion. An even older 767-300. The seats felt like a taxi in Sofia. Entertainment system? I asked the purser where they had hidden the touch screens. He told me that I had to use my own phone to be able to see a movie, or rent an Ipad. They had wifi he promised me. Then I looked for a USB, to able to charge my phone. Non existent. However there were 110v power outlets. For those with American plugs on their chargers, or the one with adapters. I didn't have one. But it wouldn't have helped me much, as there was one one outlet for two seats. This is a 9 hour flight. Food? Could choose between chicken and pasta. The chicken dish was not tasty and sad looking. Breakfast was a cup of coffee and something that might have been a carrot cake. One bite and I'd had enough. Thing is, this is not an budget airline. Prices are premium. They are supposed to compete with Lufthansa, BA and American. I thought TAP was the worst transatlantic carrier - until now. Next trip will be with Norwegian on a Dreamliner.
RouteYYZ to BUD
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"definitely travel Air Canada rouge again"

I read recent reviews a week before flying out to Toronto from Manchester. I was horrified to find such a low rating and scathing reviews. I can honestly report that on both the journey out on 24th August and return on 3rd September we left pretty much on time and arrived at the scheduled time. The seat length, knee room, comfort were comparable to most other flights that we have taken albeit to Europe. If you are large you might struggle but that's a different argument. My husband is 6 foot and managed. The staff were organised and attentive but I did witness some expression of irritation from an overly demanding customer or two. High maintenance passengers would test the patience of saints! The food was good for in flight catering - let's face it this is not a restaurant but an aeroplane. Using your own iPad is a great idea but the app must be downloaded before the flight. Better website description of what is offered is a must as a bit lacking in detail. Overall we were satisfied and would definitely travel with Canada rouge again. Thanks.
RouteYYZ to MAN