Air Canada rouge

"unbelievably bad experience"

Verified Review | Unbelievably bad experience. No movies or WiFi in the 10h flight from Toronto to Athens. The food was below average (chicken or pasta were the choices). They did not offer any wine or beer with the food (unless you purchase it and still they won't accept Discover credit cards). They let you know onboard that you may see some movies via an app which you should have downloaded while on the ground. The only good about my trip was that we arrived 1h early. I'm not going to fly with them anymore.
RouteNew York to Athens via Toronto
Date FlownOctober 2017

"you chose to buy this ticket"

Verified Review | Casablanca to Chicago via Montreal. My family and I was went on vacation to Morocco from Chicago. For some reason they weren't able to book my flight completely with theirs and I had all routes with the 6 of them except for going home from Montreal back to Chicago I had a layover of about 8 hours. After being in Morocco for 9 days on the road and falling sick, I was wanting to get home with my family. We requested them to allow that to happen. I could not afford the 150 dollars change fee and they saw my family board a plane with empty seats available but refuse to put me on it even though the baggage could have been transferred over. Then there was another flight 4 hours later that they didn't want to put me on either and said you chose to buy this ticket.
RouteCasablanca to Chicago via Montreal
Date FlownOctober 2017

"tricked into flying this substandard airline"

Verified Review | Picked Air Canada to fly from Toronto to Miami for a business event. Picked it mainly because it was nonstop. Little did I know about the trick that was pulled on me. I have flown AC several times in the past though lately I had not. Previously I thought the AC service hovered around average in terms on North American major carriers. For this flight, I missed the part that said "flight operated by AC Rouge". I am 5'10" and there was no way I could sit without my knees constantly getting hammered by the seat in the front. The plane looked like it hadn't been updated in decades and hadn't been cleaned in years. I could go on about how terrible the flight and plane were, but the most terrible part was that I was tricked into flying this, thinking it was Air Canada. It's supposed to be their "low-cost vacation carrier". Later I discovered that now all AC flights between Toronto to Phx, Miami, FLL, and many other warmer US destinations are being operated by Rouge exclusively. On any week day many or most passengers to these destinations are not vacationers. They are business people. People from Toronto don't fly to Phx or Miami only on vacation. Many trips are for business. Even if for vacation, people should not tricked into flying this substandard airline thinking it's something else. A very terrible airline and deceitful too. I will try to avoid AC Rouge at all costs, and AC also in general.
RouteToronto to Miami
Date FlownMay 2017

"lost my luggage too"

Verified Review | Keflavik to Montreal. My legs were buried into the seat in front of me, I am a tall guy, 6'5" I had to squirm the entire flight, including sitting on the tarmac in Keflavik waiting for staff to finish servicing the plane. Lunch was a double Kit Kat bar and a cold, chicken wrap sandwich and a drink. I missed my overnight connections in Montreal and lost my luggage too, did not arrive in Keflavik until the next day and did not get it to the hotel we agreed on until three days after we had stayed there. I spent 10 days without my luggage. Got my luggage when I returned to the Hotel in Reyjakvik at the end of the trip. And they lost it again upon arrival in Montreal and did not get it delivered home until the next day. The inflight staff did what they could.
RouteKeflavik to Montreal

"no TV is provided"

Verified Review | Toronto to Budapest. Alcoholic drinks are for sale only during transoceanic trips and no TV is provided. I had recently traveled from St. Lucia to Toronto via Air Canada as well and the policy (which is the same) I thought to be weird but somehow palatable, considering that the flight would last only around 5 hours. But the quality of the experience is almost unbearable when it comes to long haul flights, even with the unquestionable advantage of flying directly.
RouteToronto to Budapest

"almost no legroom"

Verified Review | I was so excited when I noticed there is finally a direct flight to Berlin. Now, I cannot tell you how disappointed I am. Bad food, no wifi, no wine or beer, almost no legroom (I am tall, so my knees where hitting the seat in front of me). Usually we as Canadians are pretty friendly people but I had the feeling that AC rouge gave their flight attendants a special training in how to be rude. Even easyJet or Ryanair have friendlier service. There is no onboard entertainment, you have no idea where you actually are (not a single screen). My flight from Berlin back got delayed and no one told us what was going on or what to expect. It was really hot at the gate, not enough seats and we didn't even get some water. Next time the one hour layover in Amsterdam or Munich but with proper service, more legroom, friendly flight attendants, a nice glass of wine and a movie.
RouteToronto to Berlin
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"my knees touched the chair in front of me"

Verified Review | Flew Toronto to Iceland. First of all, Air Canada is know to be an unfavourable airline and Rouge definitely lives up to it. This was the first international I've taken where there was no entertainment whatsoever. Sitting in my seat my knees touched the chair in front of me and I'm not a big guy. The staff had the typical Air Canada vibe of hating their lives. Before take off the staff mentioned we would have a hot meal during the flight which turned out to be a small cold wrap. All in all next time I'll spend a couple hundred more and go with a different airline.
RouteToronto to Iceland
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"won't book the flight again"

Verified Review | I booked return flight from Vancouver to Budapest via Toronto. Flight from Toronto to Budapest was delayed 2.5 hours, one of the passengers got intoxicated and was boarded on the flight. Under the influence of alcohol he started arguing and assaulted flight attendant, causing the cancellation of the flight, returning to Toronto and postponing trip for 24 hours. On my way back, flight delayed from Budapest 3 hours, like many passengers I lost connections and ended up in Vancouver at 2:00am, instead of 9:00 pm, paying for taxi service and having a list of other minor complications. I won't book the flight again.
RouteBudapest to Vancouver via Toronto
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"my experience was not that bad"

(Chile)

Verified Review | Flew Dublin to Toronto. Despite all the rage I read against this airline, which made me question whether I had made the right decision, I can say that my experience was not that bad. Upside: Service and food was the same quality as on the previous Air Canada flight (SCL-YYZ). I say it's an upside because I expected it to be much worse. Leg room was ok to me too (I'm 175 cm. tall), though recline was poor. Downsides: No in-flight entertainment (you can rent iPads or use your own device), old aircraft, and no window shade in my seat (broken/removed). I wouldn't fly ACR again, not because I had a bad experience, but because I can get something better for the same price.
RouteDublin to Toronto
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"not a bargain flight for me"

Verified Review | Toronto to Athens. Booked Lufthansa but somehow it was an Air Canada rouge flight. The staff were very nice. I am a 5'8" female and my knees were touching the seat in front of me. The entertainment is access to the Rouge app. If you do not bring a laptop with earbuds, you can rent one from Rouge. Glad I brought my kindle. The meal was rubber chicken with a mix of potatoes, carrots and beans. The salad was a very poor version of potato salad. Great for potato lovers. This was not a bargain flight for me.
RouteToronto to Athens