Airline of the Year

Air Canada rouge

"food in Economy become inedible"

Verified Review | Toronto to Rome. I consistently find Air Canada safe, efficient, and hassle-free, and the staff helpful and courteous at every airport. Sometimes line ups can be long but that has never compromised making my flight. I have only had a problem once when my luggage did not arrive, but that was due to a major problem at the airport where I had to transfer; the baggage rails had shut down and they couldn't get my bag onto my connecting flight in time. The bag arrived at my doorstep as promised two days later. When they introduced the Zoned boarding I found at first that staff were terribly militant to the point of rudeness in enforcing the zones but that has improved substantially. The on-board entertainment is excellent and they have charging ports on the back of every seat. I have never had trouble finding space for my overhead luggage. I do wish that all seats had neck rests that are pliable and that there was a physical division between seats. My one complaint is that the food in Economy has become inedible. I had occasion to fly Premium Economy on a flight to Tel Aviv and the food was excellent; on my return in Economy it was the same inedible dreck as has been on offer for about a year now; obviously edible food makes it on board but they are really cutting back for those in Economy. I used to defend AC food because it was really not bad, but I can't anymore, they really should do better in this department. The beverages are great - large selection of soft drinks, beer, wine, juice, coffee, tea. When evaluating AC I think it is important to keep in mind that it services a country that is the second largest in the world geographically, with all the highly variant weather across the country and we experience changes in temperature of 60+ degrees across the seasons, yet has a population of only 33 million. But they need to do better with the food in Economy. It may be that the vegetarian/Kosher/Halal etc. options are better than the standard fare; I am going to try that next time.
RouteToronto to Rome
Date FlownMay 2017

"seat did not recline at all"

Verified Review | New York to Edinburgh via Toronto. This was the first time we had flown with Rouge and it will be the last. The first stage of our journey from La Guardia to Toronto was fine, what you would expect from a budget airline. Our almost 7 hour flight from Toronto to Edinburgh however was a different story. We boarded and found that our seats backed on to the toilets and did not recline at all. This was an overnight flight and our nephew travelling with us is 6 ft 2inches tall! Flight was full so no chance of changing seats. We then started to look for the in flight entertainment to find there was none! I checked their magazine to find that if you wanted any entertainment, you had to rent and i-pad from them costing $10 per person or download their app. Not having a tablet with us, I asked the attendant if we could rent these to be told that they are only given a very limited amount and they had none left. We were only a few minutes into the flight! Why on earth would you advertise something you cannot supply? The plane had I am guessing over 200 people on board and I did not see a single person in our cabin renting an i-pad! So there we were, nearly 7 hours of listening to the toilet door banging and toilets flushing all night, asked the attendant about reclining seats to be told that these seats have a 'limited' recline. They were limited all right, they did not move at all! Found the staff to be ok other than one who was curt to the point of rude. We have flown extensively and have never ever had a transatlantic flight with no entertainment available. Terrible airline, I would rather pay more and fly with a company who have a bit of regard for their passengers!
RouteNew York to Edinburgh via Toronto

"so disappointed"

Verified Review | I chose to fly with Air Canada rouge because I have used Air Canada in the past and they have always been great. When we boarded the plane from Toronto to Las Vegas we were surprised that there were no TVs and no map indicating our route. Our seats were full of crumbs and garbage and when my boyfriend pulled down his tray table there was chewed gum inside but we ignored all of this because we were looking forward to our trip. When we arrived at check-in at Las Vegas Airport when we were headed back home we discovered our seats had been split up and we were no longer sitting together. I began to panic as I have extreme fear of flying. The man of the check-in didn't show any empathy or try in any way to fix the problem. When we boarded the plane we realized my boyfriend was in business class and I was by the emergency exit in economy. We didn't ask for these seats all we wanted was to be together. We would have been happy to be an economy sitting beside each other. We tried desperately to get the people next to us to switch seats but they both wouldn't budge. No one did anything and I was forced to sit beside an emergency exit right in front of the bathrooms on a red-eye flight where people were coming in and out constantly. The man sitting beside me tried to tell me that he paid more for that seat but I don't understand why anybody would pay more to sit in what I found to be the most uncomfortable spot of the plane. In addition to this my boyfriend was freezing on the plane and he was told that there were no more blankets left for him. We work hard for our money and when we spend the amount of money that we did on this flight we have a certain standard that we expect to be met. I have always trusted Air Canada but now they have completely let me down. I don't think I will ever use this airline again I am so disappointed.
RouteLas Vegas to Toronto

"missed the IFE screens"

Verified Review | Athens to Montreal. I missed the IFE screens on the back of the seat, not only for entertainment, but also for the route map. While entertainment is available on one's own devices, it wasn't consistent or easy to hook up and I didn't want to pay the ten dollars for the Ipad because the movie selection was not as good as what I had been offered on my domestic flight. When I last flew to Europe, on British airways, passengers were offered free wine. Why not on Air Canada Rouge? I will say that the seats were comfortable, and, most importantly, the flight was smooth and on time. I did miss the economy service I had become used to, though. I would not recommend this airline.
RouteAthens to Montreal
Date FlownJune 2017

"experience was simply painful"

Verified Review | Toronto to Tampa on AC Rouge. Check in was painless using the priority lane. Boarding was by zone number and somewhat orderly. On board the interior was new and fresh. The single biggest issues is how tightly the seats are packed. We had preselected emergency exit row which made a huge difference. Otherwise, I cannot see how anyone can travel long distances in such cramped quarters. The crew were friendly and professional. The FA serving us was on her third day on the job but performed as if she had been doing it for decades. There is no inflight service to speak of other than snacks for purchase and non alcoholic drinks. The IFE which is streamed over your personal device was simply abysmal with dated movies and very narrow selection. Flight left and arrived on time. AC Rouge is meant to be a low cost version of the mainline carrier but in fact it is not. Aside from the pleasant crew the on board experience was simply painful.
RouteToronto to Tampa
Date FlownJune 2017

"This should never happen"

Verified Review | Air Canada vacation from Ottawa to Jamaica via Toronto return, flights delayed both ways, bags lost. Services for disabled all but discontinued. I am 67, forced to go without a wheelchair and run/hobble between gates at times while being admonished for not running faster. My 69 year old wife forced to pick up our bags, take me, her and the bags through customs, take the bags, me and the wheelchair to a baggage drop area, deposit the bags herself, run to the next gate pushing the wheelchair only to have our wheelchair confiscated. This should never happen.
RouteOttawa to Jamaica via Toronto
Date FlownMarch 2017

"impossible to sit in those seats"

Verified Review | Miami to Toronto. The worst of the worst airlines out there. I stand 6'3" and we specifically asked for emergency exit seats. That is not what I got when we boarded. It was almost impossible for me to sit in those seats. I will never again fly this sardine can in the sky. My advise to anyone looking to fly Air Canada Rouge,look elsewhere.
RouteMiami to Toronto

"very unpleasant experience"

Verified Review | Nassau to Toronto. I had a very unpleasant experience with Air Canada rouge. On my way back to Canada after a delightful vacation in Nassau, Bahamas, our flight (AC1817) was delayed by 35 minutes which ended up being 1 hour late. This delay resulted in missing my connecting flight from Toronto to Montreal. I was very disappointed by the poor customer service. When we landed in Toronto at 11:52 pm, I was told by a flight attendant that it was likely that our plane departing at 12:30 am would wait for us as we were 15 passagers heading to Montreal or Ottawa. I ran to the baggage carrousel and was then told at 12:15 am by an Air Canada representative that our flight to Montreal was waiting for us. At 12:23 am, the same rep confirmed that the plane was leaving without us. I was then redirected to a customer service office were they gave me and my sister a $20 food coupon to eat at the airport. As the flight that we missed was the last one of the night, I ended up sleeping on the floor at Pearson's airport until 6:00 am (boarding time of my next flight). I booked my vacations through Air Canada and it was not cheap. I was expecting a great customer service. The entertainment 'app' wasn't working on our way to Nassau. Very displeased with my whole experience.
RouteNassau to Toronto

"very good experience"

Verified Review | We flew from Vancouver thru Toronto to Barbados with Air Canada rouge. All of the staff was friendly, professional and courteous. Remember that you are flying on a discount airline so seating is tighter and not as comfortable. You will offset price for comfort. The flights were on time and we can not complain. If you want meals and better leg room then you need to pay more for a different flight. I felt that we were treated well and got good value for the money. On the return trip the counter staff moved us to a flight with less of a layover for no charge. I chatted with the captain for a few minutes while boarding. Everyone was pleasant and helpful. Very good experience.
RouteVancouver to Barbados via Toronto
Date FlownMay 2017

"like to point out my discontent"

Verified Review | Epic flights and unacceptable lack of information. Montreal to Nassau via Toronto after being advised by e-mail of a possible delay in flights to Toronto, I was able to anticipate and change my Montreal-Toronto flight for another departing 5 hours earlier. It caused me long hours of waiting in Toronto but at least I could have my transfer to Nassau. Return no email notification of possible delays. Yet the Air Canada AC 1817 flight from Nassau to Toronto takes off 40 minutes late. Arriving 40 minutes late in Toronto, passengers in transit to Montreal were advised that the Toronto-Montreal AC 7564 flight will wait for them, but they must rush to retrieve their bags and return to customs. The suitcases took a little time to arrive but finally, after having recovered them, we were advised that the plane actually had left, without us! It was the last flight for Montreal, the next flight leaving the next morning. Given the late hour (1am when I was rebooked), it was of course impossible to get a room at any hotel to return a few hours later at the airport. So we had to spend the night at the airport and leave the next morning, which caused me a lot of inconveniences. If a delay could be acceptable, it would have been appropriate to notify passengers by e-mail as they did in the first place, in order to allow us to make arrangements. Moreover, it is unacceptable to tell us that the flight will wait for us to tell us 10mn later, after we crossed the airport running with our suitcases, that it actually left without us! This is not the first time that I have been directly affected by Air Canada's deplorable service and I would like to point out my discontent with traveling with you.
RouteNassau to Montreal via Toronto