Air Canada rouge

"Domestic was much better "

Trip Verified | Barcelona to Victoria via Toronto. I flew both premium rouge and economy (but with preferred seating) A real mixed bag! The domestic parts of our journey were great but the international ones were awful. International flight 1: We paid for premium rouge for the 'extra legroom'. We got less legroom than economy passengers due to the bulkhead. The website did not detail this to us - we would never have chosen those seats for a 9 hour flight. I'm 5'3" and found it cramped. International flight 2: I had to ask for a pair of headphones twice (they took over 45 minutes to deal with my apparently complicated enquiry) and they never came back to take a snack order from me even though they promised they would 'be right back'. The food left me very hungry (I do not have a big appetite) and was awful. The whole international experience was bad. Domestic service was for some reason much better and the planes were cleaner. Canadian hospitality perhaps - this inconsistency in service is not fun on long haul flights.
RouteBarcelona to Victoria via Toronto
Date FlownJuly 2018

"seats are so close"

Not Verified | Kelowna to North Bay. Staff was good and flight service was pleasant. My beef is with the seating and lack of entertainment system. The seats are so close that anyone over 5.5 ft tall is jammed in like a sardine. Finally after 5 flights I was able to get the Rouge player to work on my wife's note book. The movie selection is poor and it's much more cumbersome than the in seat players from before. This was my last Rouge flight.
RouteKelowna to North Bay
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Alcohol is not included"

Trip Verified | The interior appeared to me as if not updated since the 1970's, there is no built-in entertainment systems, and the food/drink service was horrendous. They have a wifi entertainment system accessed through personal devices; however, this never worked and numerous people questioned the crew regarding the system and were told the system doesn't work when there are too many people on board. On an 8.5 hour flight, dinner was a small chicken dish and breakfast was a piece of bread. Alcohol is not included with meals when I asked for a full can of ginger ale I was told "We don't give the whole cans." When I then finished my ginger ale and requested another one, I was told that I would have to wait until the cart came back around in a couple hours. My return flight was even longer, the entertainment system didn't work, and the service was poor.
AircraftBoeing 767-300ER
RouteToronto to Athens

"no IFE monitors "

Trip Verified | This was my first flight with Air Canada rouge and the worst flight experience. We boarded the aircraft facing an over 8 hour transatlantic flight. Shortly after boarding, the flight attendant made an announcement that there is no running water in any of the lavatories. Also, there were no IFE monitors in the seat backs. Passengers had the option to rent an ipad for an additional $10 or download their app and watch on your own device. This had to be done prior to boarding. Naturally, hundreds of us were trying to download at the same time. Therefore, it took a very long time, just to realize that the movie selection was sparse and terribly outdated.
RouteToronto to Budapest
Date FlownJune 2018

"on-board service is fine"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Edinburgh. I have regularly used this service in Premium Rouge since it was started 5 years ago. I did not Check-in at YYZ as I had connected from an AC main-line service from Denver. I did however use the International Business lounge at YYZ, this being available to PE passengers at a $25.00 fee. Boarding for EDI was as expected, PE being the first group to board as there is no business class. The flight was not completely full; however, all seats were occupied in the Premium Rouge section. The seats were a little less comfortable than those on AC main-line with perhaps a little less leg room as well. This service departed YYZ early evening, drinks with nibbles preceded dinner. There were 2 choices for the main course, steak or chicken. The meal was serviced onto a Linen table cloth with china ware, real glasses for drinks, and china mugs for tea/coffee. That was the situation for the first meal. There was a dedicated Premium Rouge FA, this was not the case with AC main-line in PE on a recently taken service. The second meal or very light breakfast was a bit dis-jointed in its presentation and distribution, this may have been due to the aircraft flying in turbulent conditions for at least an hour prior to the breakfast offering. The turbulent conditions appeared to have alarmed a fair number of passengers on board. Some words of assurance from the Flight Deck crew would have been appropriate here, however none was offered. The flight arrived at EDI on time at the stand, however as dis-embarkation was via steps to the ground and a bus transfer to the terminal, delays subsequently occurred. Based on this experience, the international Premium Rouge on-board service is fine, much better than it was 5 years ago when AC Rouge first took to the skies. It’s not international Business class and is not sold by AC as such.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteToronto to Edinburgh
Date FlownJune 2018

"entertainment does not work"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Toronto to Prague. Flight was on time, check in was quick via the self check in kiosks and drop-off. But the plane was old and dirty. On board entertainment does not work during the whole flight.
RouteToronto to Prague

"food was overpriced"

Not Verified | Vancouver to Cancun. I and my travel companion were early at the check-in. We asked for aisle seats but got one in the middle instead. It also took the check-in person 15 minutes to change the spelling of my name. The stewardess who served me handed out water like it was a precious beverage. She only filled the small plastic cup 1/4 fill and never came around again. The food was overpriced and none of it was appealing to me. The space underneath the seat barely fit my purse.
RouteVancouver to Cancun
Date FlownMay 2018

"seats way to close together"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Honolulu. First and foremost the seats are way to close together now. I'm only 5'10 and an average build. I was extremely uncomfortable with no leg room what so ever. With the leg room I did it was very difficult to stretch out, as well avoid the pasta that was on the floor from who ever was on the plane prior to this flight. For a 6hr flight. Air Canada rouge has made their seats extremely uncomfortable. Closest comparison I can think of is a well used office chair. There was no snack provided as part of the flight. Not to mention their app that barely works. I tried to work it from my iPhone, iPad, my wife iPhone and a laptop. Not one device was able to get this app to work. Finally after complaining to a flight attendant were we able to get a iPad from them. Luckily bringing my own snacks, trying to put it in the seat pouch, I was greeted with the left over garbage again from someone before me. I'd strongly suggest staying away from Air Canada rouge. The flight back was not much better at all, even after paying an additional $70 US for a seat with more leg room.
AircraftBoeing 767-300ER
RouteVancouver to Honolulu

"very poor experience"

Trip Verified | Columbus to Venice via Toronto, we were booked on our outbound flight with Air Canada rouge. I say unfortunately because the resulting experience with them was just that. In addition to losing my luggage, which I did not receive the entire time while in Italy, the 8+ hour flight was on an old plane with no built-in TV's. They offered iPads which could be rented at a cost, however the in-flight staff never offered these to my wife and I. The food was sub-par, and overall was a very poor experience. Air Canada rouge wants 35 days to review my claim and assess whether or not I will be reimbursed for the $500 USD I had to spend in order to put together a wardrobe to get through the trip. In addition, the team working on the claim is not accessible other than through submission of forms on their website. Obviously they do not wish to interact with customers that they have inconvenienced, I am someone whom never writes reviews, however I felt compelled to do so on this experience as it was that bad.
RouteColumbus to Venice via Toronto
Date FlownMay 2018

"flight was completely pleasant"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Tampa. While it is understandable that different individuals will have varying experiences with a budget carrier, my flight with Air Canada rouge was completely pleasant. Check-in was handled by the normal AC staff, and the premium line for Star Gold passengers provided immediate service. Onboard, the attendant serving the business cabin couldn't have been more pleasant, cheerful, and proactive. There were only 8 passengers for the 16 available seats, and the seat pitch was excellent. We departed on-time and arrived in Tampa 15 minutes early. A tasty and complete breakfast was served on this 8:35AM flight. Drinks were served, but lamentably, they had not loaded any of the sparkling wine that appears on the menu. Inflight entertainment in the premium cabin is provided by ipads loaded with a good selection of movies. I would not hesitate to fly rouge again, and I would recommend them to my friends.
RouteToronto to Tampa