Air Canada rouge

"tend to ruin your vacation before it starts"

Trip Verified | Flew Fort Lauderdale to Toronto. I am going to try and write this in a nice way. Let’s just say that Air Koryo, now has a competitor. The planes of Air Canada rouge are dated and old, the staff are arrogant and do not really know what customer service means. I asked for tea twice and no one ever brought any, I tried to call the flight attendant with the call button several times, but I guess they disconnected this function because it bothers them. The only reason I believe Air Canada rouge still exists is because they have no competition and they force you to take it as there is no other options to fly where you want to go. You pay the same price as with regular Air Canada, yet smiles from the staff are extra. I will avoid every route this company flies as they tend to ruin your vacation before it starts and if you do enjoy your vacation, they make sure your blood pressure rises on your way back home.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"there is no one there to help"

Trip Verified | Flying from Dubai to Philadelphia via Toronto, we had occassion to spend a couple of hours in the Maple Leaf Lounge (had to pay for this even though we were traveling business class). When we arrived in the lounge, there were no seat. It was so crowded we couldn't move. We stood with our carry on and personal items for some time until someone got up and gave us seats. We couldn't even make our way to the bar or the food it was so congested. When it was time to leave, we learned that some of the congestion was from a long line that wrapped around the entire lounge. We were stunned and very stressed that we would miss our plane. We were told that the elevators were running slow and there was no stair access. We nearly missed our flight to Philadelphia. We filed a complaint with Customer Service on Nov. 12 and received an acknowledgement on Nov. 20 saying "no need to follow up. We're on it!" We received no further response. We followed with Customer Service up on 1/17, 1/31,/2/9 and 2/10. Each time we were told that we would hear back in 48 hours. Each time, no response. Apparently there is no concern for passengers This makes one wonder how they are about safely and other functions. I would not recommend this airline because if you have to deal with them there is no one there to help!
RouteDubai to Toronto
Date FlownNovember 2017

"disappointed in the food service"

Trip Verified | I was very disappointed in the food service. This was a mid-haul, 5h morning flight, and there were no vegetarian food options available, only chicken wraps and breakfast sandwiches with pork were available for purchase. Non-meat eaters had a choice of dry granola snacks and candy for the duration of the flight. I find this unacceptable, and I'm sure I wasn't the only vegetarian on the flight. Cabin staff were not apologetic.
RouteSan José to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"really disappointed with today"

Not Verified | Montreal to Las Vegas. I am a 50k member which is expensive for the lousy service I received today. Arriving at check in my friend on my reservation gets a seat and I have no seat assignment. They promised me I was on the flight no matter what. They told me to check at the lounge at 7:40am and nothing was done. I get to the gate and they told me that they can’t board all passengers and that they would have to wait until volunteers get off the plane and that I would be re-routed through Chicago. I waited until 8:40 (time of departure), all passengers got on and they put me on very last minute. The staff were not friendly. The crew was petty and had serious attitude. I asked for 2 iPads and WiFi was reset a million times and didn’t work nothing worked for an hour and a half). They told me they would refund my purchase. As I waited for all drinks to be served I managed to watch some silly movie at some point and asked for 20 more minutes to just see the end and the crew member Ishmael told me he would have to charge me 5$ (half the value because I was managing to watch), it’s not for the 10$ each, its for the aggravation and pettiness! We asked for the usual rouge pretzels, and were answered we charge for everything! As a 50k member I am really disappointed with today. Everything we asked it was like we were annoying the crew. What a stressful flight
RouteMontreal to Las Vegas
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"quite unacceptable in my view"

Trip Verified | Flew Air Canada rouge from Honolulu to Vancouver. We arrived at check-in bag drop at 8.45 pm, almost 3 hours before takeoff, having checked in online. There was at most 2 agents for this line, compared to 4-6 for those doing the entire process. Each passenger or group took as much as 25 minutes, with the online check-in ignored. We stood in line 1 hour 20 minutes. We barely made our boarding time, then sat in the plane for another 80 minutes waiting for luggage and passengers before we finally left more than an hour late. Passengers were getting extremely frustrated. This is the worst check-in I have ever experienced. It was quite frankly embarrassing as Alaska Airlines passengers sailed through their check-in. It was quite unacceptable in my view.
RouteHonolulu to Vancouver
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"nightmare experiences with them"

Trip Verified | We were at the airport and ready to board our flight from Pearson Airport to Grenada on January 25 2018 and the counter person asked us if 15 people would voluntarily back out of their trip on flight AC1732, and that they were trying to set up a new flight for the next day. At first we thought he was just being funny! Needless to say people started to worry and were screaming. Their excuse was that the large plane had mechanical issues so they had to send a smaller plane, which could not handle all the weight. We boarded the plane while customers were irate and still yelling. We were stranded on the plane for 1.5 hours. Finally they boarded everyone but informed us we had to de-fuel due to weight and would be going to Nassau Bahamas for fueling. Delayed there for an hour also. So our 5 hour flight turned into 8 long hours on a cramped seat. Half way through the flight we were hungry and were informed that they ran out of food and beer. The flight attendants were great. It was and is the airline I am upset with. Last year we also had issues with Air Canada when we book direct flights from London to Montreal for our flight to San Andres. A week before flight we get a phone call and informing us that we had 2 stops now, 1 in Toronto and 1 in Ottawa. We were very upset as we had paid premium dollars for a direct flight and was never compensated. So I have tried this airline twice and had nightmare experiences with them both times, it will be the last time I deal with this airline. My husband and I fly at least twice a year and trust me it will not be with this airline.
RouteToronto to Grenada

"Patience wore thin"

Trip Verified | The trip from Toronto to Tampa was uneventful and on time. The seats in that old 767 have been swapped out and replaced with a thin, hard version with such little legroom as to make my short legs cramp up. Return Flight: the aircraft was very late arriving at Tampa and so we were vary late leaving. Arrival at Pearson and we were kept in the aircraft for an extra 40 minutes, near the gate as Rouge had no place to dock. Another plane had to be loaded and then taxi away before we could dock.The Captain told us the delay was was make everything perfectly safe. Patience wore thin and as we finally exited one woman scolded the Captain and head stewardess for the long wait before docking and told him that his words treated us like children. Why could they not just tell us what was obvious, that because we were late Rouge had no gate reserved. She was given a condescending: Have a Nice Night as they walked away. Little things make a large difference in air travel. We are looking into finding a less annoying carrier.
AircraftBoeing 767-300er
RouteToronto to Tampa
Date FlownDecember 2017

"service was friendly as usual"

Trip Verified | A good flight from Calgary to Frankfurt in premium economy. There was a slight initial delay due to weather on the departure end, but time was made up once we were in the air. The service was friendly as usual, and the plane was clean. Entertainment was good, with a choice of many genres of movies in different languages. The intercom system wasn't working too well, with the result that the safety announcements weren't fully audible - but everyone knows all about those anyway. I'm flummoxed by the negative reviews on this site, particularly in areas that the airlines themselves have no control over (weather delays, seat designs, etc). But I have personally never had an issue with Air Canada rouge.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteCalgary to Frankfurt

"they should be ashamed"

Trip Verified | Flew Calgary to Cancun. We booked our family vacation through Air Canada Vacation which was the worst mistake we have ever made. After 4 successful trips to Mexico via Sunwing and WestJet we found a great deal with Air Canada so thought let’s try it. Our first problem was arriving at the airport to find out our flight was delayed 4 hours, which they did not update on their website, they said no vouchers to my family but most of the passengers got them. After the then 5 hour delay we sat on the tarmac for an hour and with a 6 hour flight were offered only beverages, everything else you must pay for. Upon arrival no assistance was given to help passengers find our shuttle. Everyone was lost and wondering where to go. Finally got the shuttle and arrived at our resort to find out that Air Canada gave the hotel the wrong room information which meant we had one night in a lower priced room then had to move. We were highly annoyed to be woken up at 8am (6am Canadian time after arriving at 11pm) to be told to come to a meeting, we did not attend and then were woken up three mornings in a row by a very rude Air Canada Rep. The grand finale of this trip was leaving for our shuttle to find out we were delayed 6 hours and Air Canada would not give us a later shuttle option. They expected everyone to sit at the airport for over 9 hours. The annoying rep of course was nowhere to be found again leaving numerous passengers stranded and frustrated. Will never book Air Canada again, they should be ashamed.
RouteCalgary to Cancun
Date FlownDecember 2017

"not comfortable for long trips"

Trip Verified | As a low-cost airline under Air Canada, the rouge flights provides narrow seat space in the economy cabin with old aircraft's which are not comfortable for long trips. The rouge flights using intranet WIFI system (no Internet service) to an alternative on-flight entertainment system, so there is no screen on the seats. Two passengers have to share one electric socket for charging devices. The passengers have to download the app on the cell phone or tablet before on board the flight to access the entertainment system. The cabin staff service is the same as the regular Air Canada flight, which is pretty good.
AircraftBoeing 767-300ER