Tigerair  Passenger Reviews and Tigerair Customer Trip Reports

Tigerair customer review :  15 August 2011 by Tim Short    (UK)

Singapore-Ho Chi Minh. I thought that the Singapore budget terminal was calm, clean and organised. Check-in and queue took about 15 mins and was given exit row without asking. Boarding was by groups of rows and no problems with overhead bin space. Food and drinks offered and seemed much more expensive than other airlines. Cabin crew friendly, flight on time, nothing to complain about. Cheaper than others on this route.

Tigerair customer review :  5 August 2011 by Salleh Lim (Singapore)

I flew with them on the HKT-SIN route. Flight was delayed for 2hr 10mins and captain apologised. Cabin crew looked uninspired but because it was a short night flight, everyone was sleeping. For the price I paid, I would definitely fly TR again. I just wished they flew out from Changi Terminal 1 instead of the Budget Terminal.

Tigerair customer review :  14 July 2011 by Richard Frost (Hong Kong)

First time using Tiger and was extremely satisfied. Both HKG-SIN and return were on time, smooth boarding. Cabin staff seemed friendly enough and food and drink prices, though more expensive than AirAsia, are still not too badly priced and a reasonable selection. Seats were about as expected for a budget airline, fairly comfortable. And for just HK$1200 round trip it was a bargain and about 1/4 the price of Cathay Pacific! Would definitely use again.

Tigerair customer review :  4 July 2011 by George Koulakis (Australia)

Boarded a Tiger flight in Sydney for flight to Melb. Was sat in cabin for 50 mins with no activity or movement. On departure no explanation was offered. During the flight, 2 flight attendants began to argue and it turned nasty and uncomfortable for passengers in the front row, where we sat watching a girl have strips torn off her by a woman who felt she was the centre of the universe. I wrote a letter of complaint, but had to send it to Singapore E-mail address as there is no local E-mail contact with them in Australia.

Tigerair customer review :  1 July 2011 by Chris Burnett (Australia)

Melbourne-Brisbane cancelled for the second time. This time at 2130 the night before an 0615 flight. I received an SMS stating the flight was cancelled and there was nothing available until Sun. Our only option would be to now buy $500 one way tickets for the family with Qantas or Virgin, adding $2000 to our weekend trip to Queensland. It is a false Economy to book Tiger. You may get there, but then again you may not. I have travel insurance and they can't assist me, other than to pay me back for missed hotel bookings. If it's important that you arrive at your destination when you planned, then book with a real airline. We've learnt our lesson.

Tigerair customer review :  30 June 2011 by Greg Fisk (Australia)

Every flight we have been on has been cancelled at the last minute with no explanation, and offered flights several days later (when we are supposed to be home). Spent more on the 4 hr drive to the cancelled flight than I ever would have saved. Can't contact "customer service", no notifications - even their website says the flight is running. Terrible.

Tigerair customer review :  30 June 2011 by Manoharan Sandhya (Singapore)

Very unreliable especially when you are travelling with your infant. They cancelled the flight, and notified only upon reaching the airport at the check-in counter, which is just 2 hrs before the departure time. They had made alternative arrangements but did not notify me that would involve transit from Singapore-Colombo and 2hrs wait and then to change flight to Chennai. The most shocking part of this travel was, this unreliable airline didn't book tickets for my 11 month infant from Colombo-Chennai. The journey which was supposed to be 4 hrs + 3 hrs at both the airports, now turned out to be 12hrs. Personnel at Tigerair did not consider how an infant withstand such a long time without proper sleep. Highly disappointed with Tigerair response and arrangement.

Tigerair customer review :  28 June 2011 by K Macpherson (Australia)

Flight was cancelled from Melbourne-Cairns. No text message, no email warning was sent. Only found out when I contacted Tiger with a query about web check in - they'd sent me an email reminding me to web check-in then when I clicked on the link, was advised that web check in was not available for my flight. The guy I spoke to sounded like a computer and honestly could not have cared less that my travel plans had been ruined. Offered a refund (in six weeks' time) or a spot on the next available flight (paying the difference of course) which was four days later and not suitable. Had to buy an expensive last minute flight to replace it.

Tigerair customer review :  28 June 2011 by John Bailey (Australia)

We will not fly with Tiger again because they are far too unreliable. The final straw was this morning when the Perth Avalon flight was deferred from 08:40 to 17:30, after already being rescheduled by 12 hours when Tiger rearranged their Australian schedules earlier this year (to improve reliability!) . Of the 5 sectors that we have booked over the last 3 years, only one flight left at the originally booked time (PER/SIN in 2008). None of the delays were related to a natural disaster, like volcanic ash. Three (including today) were delayed by many hours, and we only found out at the airport. Two were rescheduled by 12 hours when Tiger rearranged their schedules earlier this year, causing significant problems with our holiday. A one in five success rate is appalling, even for a discount airline. It is especially bad in a large country like Australia where regularly cancelling, rescheduling or delaying the one flight a day causes people major inconvenience. Luckily this morning we were able to rebook with another, reliable airline, though this goes to Melbourne Airport, which is less convenient than Avalon for this trip.

Tigerair customer review :  27 June 2011 by R Chauhan (Australia)

Flight cancelled from Brisbane-Sydney. No text message, no email warning was sent. Only found out once we had arrived at the airport. Staff advised they did not know why. Offered a refund or a flight the next day which was not suitable, seeing as the only reason we were going was to attend an important event on the Saturday night. Taking a replacement flight would have been as wasted trip. Had to buy a super expensive flight x 3, extremely costly! Even if they manage to get us home today, will not be flying Tiger airways again. Don't buy cheap flights - it is truly not worth the savings.

Tigerair customer review :  27 June 2011 by Raghupathy Rajaraman (India)

I travelled Chennai-Singapore. Though the travel was comfortable on the 4 hr day flight, the customer services are very poor. The basic need of water supply, of even one bottle was not arranged by the Airways but available for sale just like a shop. They should charge and include the cost at the time of booking for which no customer will mind for making payment. But once we enter in to the flight our need to be taken care by the Airways. Simply by advertising that the Budget Airways, the basic requirement should not be ignored. I have already complained, but no response. That indicates the Tigerair is after business only and not for customer care. I hope they will give top priority for customers need also.

Tigerair customer review :  26 June 2011 by Z Leung (Singapore)

MEL-BNE-MEL, SIN-KUL, PEN-SIN, SIN-KCH-SIN. All flights were punctual. Flights were bargain- basement cheap and one shouldn't compare the airline for a full-service airline. Would not hesitate to fly Tiger again!

Tigerair customer review :  26 June 2011 by I Cunningham (Australia)

Cancelled my Melbourne-Brisbane flight less than 24 hrs, inevitably meaning I paid about twice as much compared to other airlines due to then requiring a last minute ticket. 2 of my colleagues also had their flights cancelled (different routes) and given a similar "operational reason" without any further explanation.

Tigerair customer review :  25 June 2011 by Tom Müller (Switzerland)

Our flight from Singapore-Bangkok was overbooked. We had to stay in a hotel in Singapore and take the next flight one day later. They told us we could stay in a hotel and get the money back. We never got an answer to our refund requests. They overbooked all flights. Choose Air Asia, we had never problems with them.

Tigerair customer review :  24 June 2011 by Edmund Carew (Australia)

AVV-SYD. Flight arrived ex OOL but incomprehensibly inefficient boarding where an inexperienced and very slow male staff member saw us depart 20 mins late. Flight only had 70 or so passengers on the 180 seat A320. Staff went through the motions of selling the usual snacks but few passengers purchased anything. 1 female flight attendant lacked any manners and was noticeably curt to female passengers, although more civil to males. The other flight attendants looked bored. The flight failed to pick up any time with arrival at the SYD airport gate some 25" down. This flight alone would have lost a few thousand dollars. While not at a peak time, one wonders how much longer before part owners such as Singapore Airlines pull the pin on the Australian operation where clearly (when not affected by natural events such as volcanic ash) flights are cancelled daily due to either an aircraft failure or low passenger numbers. Of course Tiger is not the only airline to do this: all the domestic airlines in Australia engage in such practices, but Tiger is the worst based on objective BITRE figures.

Tigerair customer review :  20 June 2011 by Peter Edmonds (Australia)

Sydney to Sunshine Coast easy web check in, flight on time and crew charming. Sunshine Coast to Sydney easy web check in, flight cancelled without any communication (either email address or mobile number supplied with booking) and no answer from customer service number in Melbourne (long distance call). Tiger is fine until they decide to cancel a flight. That's when you learn that flying Tiger is flying false economy. I strongly recommend flying any other airline.

Tigerair customer review :  20 June 2011 by D Barton (Australia)

Booked a family holiday from Sydney to the Sunshine Coast for 6 adults and 3 children. Was phoned 1 hour before check in that the flight was cancelled and we could go to either Brisbane at 16.45 flight or to the Gold Coast at 15.20. We thought the Brisbane flight would get us closer to our destination, we then tried to get our rental car changed from the Sunshine Coast to Brisbane they advised us that they didn't have any cars available. We phoned Tiger back and advised them that we had no way of getting from Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast at such a late time on a Sun evening and asked them what they can do for us, the response was nothing. As we agreed to go on the Brisbane flight they have managed to wash their hands completely of any assistance in accommodation for the night until we could obtain transport from Brisbane. Our return section was just as bad, we phoned them on the Sat to make sure our flight was still flying and was told yes. After our initial trouble getting to the Sunshine Coast we didn't rely on Tiger at all and phoned them back again a few hrs later, to once again be told that our flight was cancelled and that they could only put us on a flight from Brisbane at 2005 - even though their website showed seats available on earlier flights. Those with young children would understand that 20.05 flight to get home around 23.00 is not at all ideal. Tiger were not prepared to assist us in anyway.

Tigerair customer review :  20 June 2011 by Britta Hayes (Australia)

As per the previous comment, we also booked our flight to Sydney from the Sunshine Coast and paid for accommodation and return flights with another airline. We were sent no text or email and booked in over the net. On arrival at the airport we were told all flights with Tiger from the Sunshine Coast were cancelled. We could change our flights to Tues - but they could not guarantee the flight would not also be cancelled. We will never, ever make this mistake again!

Tigerair customer review :  20 June 2011 by F Kehl (Australia)

BNE-SYD-BNE. I received a call just under 4 hrs from departure to say flight was cancelled. I first though it was a joke. Next available flight offered 24hrs later or a refund. I took the refund for full trip as I was only going for the weekend so to miss a day was pointless. Other airlines were very expensive to purchase at the last minute so I missed my weekend. I received a text 24hrs prior to say return flight was cancelled and to call Tiger. My issues that they can't put an apology in that very brief cancellation text message, that they ask the customer to call and chase the refund and that the refund can take 3-6 weeks. I've flown them at least 4 times and have had a couple of minor delays & have been happy to buy bargain flights. Not any more! I will pay more in future for hopefully reliable flying.

Tigerair customer review :  17 June 2011 by S Coote (Australia)

I booked a flight to Sydney, booked accommodation etc and then received a text message two hrs before check in to inform us the only flight from the Sunshine coast had been cancelled. The text asked me to phone a phone number in Melbourne (no 1800 number available), waited for 40 mins before someone answered. Had great difficulty understanding her basic English. Ruined holiday thanks, Tiger! No reason given for cancellation. The cheap fare has ended up being quite expensive. Will never fly Tiger again.

Tigerair customer review :  17 June 2011 by Gary Daly (Australia)

I waited at Perth Airport for a flight to Avalon Airport near Geelong, Victoria. The departures screen claimed that the flight was on time. At the departure time, no staff appeared at the gate, though the departures screen still claimed that the flight was on time. Then there was an announcement over the PA, saying that the flight had been cancelled for "operational reasons" and that passengers should go downstairs to collect their luggage. Despite this, the departures screen claimed that the flight was on time. The passengers all had to go down the stairs and collect their luggage and then join a huge queue of angry passengers at the checkin counter. I managed to get a Tigerair flight to Tullamarine, Melbourne leaving 14 hours later, though I was originally booked to Avalon, Geelong. Tiger Airlines did not provide any assistance with food, accommodation or transport.

Tigerair customer review :  16 June 2011 by Z Leow (Australia)

Sydney to Adelaide on 13/6/2011 was cancelled due to the Volcanic Ash but was not updated on their website. We proceeded to the airport, as per their instructions on the website, only to be told that all flights to Adelaide has been suspended and that the next available flight out is 2 days later. No form of notification as to update of the status of the flights. On top of that, every other experience with Tigerair has always been met with flight delay or cancellation. Cheap tickets are definitely not worth the unreliability.

Tigerair customer review :  14 June 2011 by Francis Teo (Singapore)

Singapore to Krabi and return. I arrived at the Budget Terminal at 915 am for the 1025 am flight. There were still a line of about 10 to 15 people waiting to be checked in at the two counters that were open. After a ten minute wait, we were checked in. Despite not reserving a seat in advance, we were allocated a complete row of six seats. The flight was about 85% full. We boarded about 15 minutes before flight time. It was drizzling and we were offered an umbrella for the short walk to the stairs to board the aircraft. On board, the seats were leather-covered. There was a five minute delay in push back and we took off at 1045 am. Once air-borne, the crew began buy on board service and well as duty free sale. Service was fuss free and it was a short 80 minute ride to our destination. We landed five minutes behind schedule and proceeded for our holiday. For the return flight, we arrived at 1015 am at Krabi Airport for the 1135 am flight. There were queues at the two counters opened for check in. We waited about ten minutes before it was our turn. The flight was full but the agent managed to offer us 6 aisle seats that were not too far from one another. The aircraft arrived about fifteen minutes late from Singapore and that delayed our departure from Krabi as well. Service on board was similar to the inbound flight. Nothing much to expect nor complain about. Just a clean, smooth journey back to Singapore. For regional trips in and from Asia, Tiger does the job fine and provides affordable point to point service most of the time.