Thomas Cook Airlines Customer Reviews and Passenger Trip Reports

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  2 February 2013 by A Best    (Northern Ireland)

My wife and I flew from Belfast to Lanzarote on January 24 2013 and returned on Jan 31 2013. Flight from Belfast was on time and no problems boarding. First thing we noticed on boarding was the narrow space between the seats, other passengers commented on this. When I sat down the space to the next seat was so narrow that I was unable to put the food tray down flat. I am 5 ft 5 and found that I was cramped. Other passengers who were taller than I experienced greater discomfort. There was also a lack of overhead storage for all passengers and some had to shove baggage between their legs. On the return journey we were collected from our hotel 20 minutes late. Wen we got to the airport Thomas Cook had 6 check in desks open for people boarding 4 of their flights, all leaving within 15 minutes of each other. 4 desks were open for speedy boarding and Thomas Cook were actively trying to sell this service to people in the queue. As a consequence we had little time in the airport to have lunch or shop before boarding. When the plane took off and the set belt sign was switched off most passengers stood for the 4 hour journey. I have travelled with Thomas Cook in the past but their service has declined and they seem to be preoccupied with getting more and more money from passengers. As a seasoned traveller I have never seen such cramped conditions on any plane including so called budget airlines. I will never travel with Thomas Cook again and would not recommend this company to anyone.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2013 by E Picking    (UK)

Tenerife from Manchester in June 2012 for 2 weeks. Outward was fantastic new style seats made extra legroom, after a fantastic holiday with my family we returned to the airport making sure we arrived in plenty of time 3 hours! When we arrived at check-in, the man said there was some sort of problem with flight and left us stood there for 1.5 hours when we were finally told there was a delay and to move to a queue further down the line where we ended up for another 2 hours. Finally told our flight wasn't leaving until late that night instead of lunch time and given a small food voucher. Ended up sitting around the airport for a total of 10 hours and departed at approx 8pm. Got back to Manchester well after midnight on a plane that was falling apart, too hot and very discourteous staff. If they had told us about this earlier we could have re- booked a car and enjoyed the day as we were flight only and not part of a package holiday we wouldn't be entitled to any compensation anyway! I think it was disgusting the way we were all treated especially with a young child to keep entertained in a small airport with not much to do. Will not be Flying with Thomas Cook again!

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2013 by Geoff Valentine    (UK)

LGW-ACE-LGW. Recently used TC to visit relatives in Lanzarote. Booked the flight online with the added items I desired. Arrived Gatwick early and used their baggage drop service, excellent. Flight out A321 was ok, I had been advised a few months earlier that the aircraft type had been changed, but my seat booking was still valid. Cabin staff excellent, nothing was to much trouble for them. Flight back via Boeing 757, again used TC baggage drop facilities so missed the usual long queue's. Found the flight to be very good and again found the cabin crew to be very good, service excellent. Would definitely use TC again.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2013 by C Matthews    (UK)

We went to Mexico from Gatwick on 5 December. Flight delayed 2 hours - both sides to and from - but mostly the seats were so awful. Customer satisfaction was poor and the TC aircraft's must be revamped to improve the overall travelling experience. The actual holiday was great. Awful seats, incredibly small seat width. The worst I have experienced by far.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  7 January 2013 by L Gallagher    (Wales)

Had such a wonderful holiday, Christmas in Lanzarote. On our return, due to an issue back at Manchester we were informed that the plane allocated was different to the scheduled aircraft. Pre-booked seats were meaningless. Flight took off in it's customary late fashion. Due to the passenger in front reclining his seat, I found myself wedged between the planes window port and the seat headrest. My wife had to quickly tell the occupier of the seat to ease up. The maintenance of an aircraft is paramount, however the maintenance of its passengers is another question.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  2 January 2013 by S Lockett    (UK)

Flight time was altered before we set off and several travelers were not informed - ourselves included so only just caught plane, which got as far as Belfast before turning back to Manchester because of engine problems. Put in hotel for night and off we go next morning. On way back stuck in Cancun airport for over 9 hours getting various pieces of information, the one I liked best was we were stuck there because the Mexican Government had changed that weekend and there was no-one to sign papers! Eventually took off 51 hours late, reps from the company were useless. I will definitely travel with another company if at all possible.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  23 December 2012 by W Tweats    (UK)

Manchester to Lanzarote, departed 45mins late, fight diverted to Fuerteventura with two engineers on our aircraft and spare parts to fix broken plane in Fuerteventura. Arrived in lanzarote over 2 hrs late. Return flight Lanzarote to Manchester also delayed for 4hrs - told because of operational problems.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  18 December 2012 by F Michael    (UK)

Manchester - Cancun (1st December). Flight delayed an hour but we had been informed of this by TC about 2 months previously that this would be the case so this was no problem. We pre booked seats both outbound and inbound and, after reading other people's reviews about these pre paid seats not being kept, I was worrying although I had no reason to as everything was fine. The plane, an Airbus A330 was in good condition, the seats were comfortable with plenty of leg room, the cabin crew were friendly, the entertainment was good and helped pass the time and the food was decent quality. Flight back was on time, we had very good tail wind which knocked off a good 1-1.5 hrs off the flight. Food was good again, as was the entertainment. The cabin crew were perhaps not as attentive coming back but this was only a minor snag and it didn't ruin our flight by any means. After reading so many bad reviews, I had feared the worst but we had two very pleasant flights with them and would fly again.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2012 by J Morrison    (UK)

Manchester - Cancun 17th November. Flight delayed an hour, got as far as Belfast before one engine lost power. Captain had to dump fuel and make emergency landing back at Manchester. 24 hour delay and flew out next day. Cancun to Manchester on 1st December delayed by 6 hours, before being told that "Thomas Cook hadn't paid the Mexican Authorities". Airport grounded the Manchester and Gatwick flight for 48 hours - flew home on the 3rd December. A330 aircraft are dated, entertainment system didn't work for a few hours on the outbound, it's on a loop and so no on demand entertainment. Food was awful, service poor and a shambles. The inbound flight had an extra crew member on it as one stewardess had got on the Manchester flight and not the Gatwick!

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  7 December 2012 by D Haoues    (UK)

Flew Gatwick to Cancun, the worst flight I have ever been on. One and half hour delay going out and coming back, no reason given, it was just accept it and that's it. Cabin crew scruffy, and more interested in speaking to each other about what they did the previous evening, laying over the trolley, giggling. Awful service. No one seemed in charge, No one cared about the passengers except when they were trying to sell something. The aircraft was tatty, not very clean, tatty magazines. Inflight film kept cutting out even after having to pay 2.75 for the adapter. For a 11.5 hour flight. The leg room was minimal and uncomfortable.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  4 December 2012 by B Lorimer    (Scotland)

Flew to Larnaca in July. Delayed 24 hours on the outbound leg as plane had a technical problem. Virtually non existent information and passengers pretty much left to use word of mouth to get bussed to hotels as only one member of airport staff (Glasgow) was out helping at the bus pick up points (which was like something out of a Carry On Film - total chaos) as the Thomas Cook staff invisible. Flight next day on different plane - horrible old plane, no legroom, overpriced snacks. Got form at Larnaca saying claim off your insurance. Reading through other posts this airline seems to be going downhill very fast. Another customer lost.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  26 November 2012 by L Muir    (Scotland)

Have travelled with Thomas Cook on several occasions and found their flights to be very good however having travelled to Fuerteventura I have noticed a big change in standards. The seats and tray areas were very dirty and the seat pitch was tiny. The aircraft itself was very old and dated. Flight was delayed on way back with no explanation. Staff were okay although did have to ask for a lap belt for my 7 month old son. Not sure I would fly with Thomas Cook again.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  23 November 2012 by L Warcup    (UK)

We flew to Fuerteventura for Oct half term. Flight out was ok but the flight back TCX6335 was delayed for 23 hours due to a technical fault. Having sat on the tarmac for 2 hours we were sent to a shabby hotel for the night. Children on the flight back had to pay for earphones despite the horrendous delay. This is not the way to treat your customers. We will not book with Thomas Cook again. Finally got home at 2am on Monday morning when we should have been back on Saturday night.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  22 November 2012 by C Stamp    (UK)

Scuba Equipment. I noticed on the website that if you show your diving log book, you get 5kg extra baggage allowance for scuba gear. I checked in at B'ham airport and the check in staff accepted my diving certificate offhandedly. On check in at Sharm airport, I was told I would have to pay for excess baggage over the 20kg limit. Although I quoted the 5kg extra allowance and showed my diving certificate, they had no knowledge of it and persisted to charge me. Fortunately, I had printed out the terms for scuba equipment from the web- site and only when I produced that did they allow the excess free.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  22 November 2012 by N Barnett    (UK)

Just returned from TFS from MAN. 4 house delayed because they had an unserviceable aircraft. The planes are old, the seating is the worst and service is poor. Ryanair for me.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  19 November 2012 by J Sergeant    (UK)

TCX2157 Larnaca to Manchester delayed 5 hours - 'flight no longer available for operational reasons'? No-one around to give explanations or apologies. Booked this flight because of good flight times in first place! Food vouchers OK. Arrived back Manchester to then experience further delay disembarking - very slow, bussing passengers to terminal bit by bit as 01.30 in morning by now. Then further delay getting baggage - total nightmare. Later found out this flight has appalling on time record!! Will not use TCX again.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  15 November 2012 by R Weavill    (UK)

Having read page after page after page of poor and negative reviews one might wonder what the point is as there seems to be little done about the recurring complaints but here we go. Memo to Chief executive: "strap yourself into one of your tatty planes, sit for 5 hours unable to recline or even move due to the ludicrously tiny space you seem to think is adequate, add to that no ventilation, oppressive heat and cabin crew more interested in gossip than service and see how you like it". Why do they have to ruin a holiday with such shoddy service!

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  14 November 2012 by David Newman    (UK)

ACE-LGW. Check in very good with helpful staff. Boarding fairly quick and smooth. B757-300 looked a tad shabby but much more comfortable than Airbus. We had elected to have a pre-booked meal which was quite pleasant. Cabin crew were friendly and professional. A surprisingly good experience.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  13 November 2012 by P Kieran    (Scotland)

Glasgow - Tenerife - Glasgow on a Boeing 757-300. Flights left on time, crew friendly enough. Main gripe is the exceptionally mean 5kg hand luggage allowance, even the low-cost airlines give you 10kg! We booked an extra-legroom seat and a seat by the emergency exit (this being the same price as a regular seat), both had excellent legroom. Stewardess told us that the emergency exits on the 757-200s don't have as good legroom as the emergency slide sticks out, however this is not the case with the 757-300. Meal coming back was OK, breakfast going was poor. When purchased as part of the bundle for choose your seat/meals/luggage it works out OK value for money. No in-flight entertainment whatsoever.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2012 by Stacy Garner    (UK)

LGW to Sanford. Boarded on time then sat on the runway while fixing problem! Left hour late then 3.5 hours into the flight we got redirected to Iceland! No mention of when we would next fly. We had to call the UK to find out what was happening. Finally left the hotel at 1.30pm on the Saturday (landed 5.30pm Friday) to be told we would be flying 16.55, then delayed until 6.30, after boarding sat on the runway for 1hr. Finally arrived in Orlando 2.30 am Sunday morning, when we should have landed 2.30 pm Friday! On return flight, no reclining seats! Again boarded on time then again some excuse and left yet again an hour late.