Thomas Cook Airlines Customer Reviews and Passenger Trip Reports

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  5 November 2013 by P Buchanan    (UK)

We have just flown from Manchester to Sanford, we paid for premium and all we got was a bit more room. We had to pay for all drinks except tea/coffee, we also had to pay for headphones. Staff were polite but didn't want to be there. On the return we had a problem with check in because our bags were over but under 30kg, we had to open all our cases and rearrange. Then we were not allowed to take a handbag and our hand luggage, we finally got through after paying. The flight again awful, premium is a joke, again nothing free. Pay all the way and when we asked for a pillow/ blanket we were told we had to help ourselves. We have always flown premium for the extra room etc and this was awful, no drinks, headphones, amenity pack, no pillow or blanket. Look somewhere else.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  29 October 2013 by Eileen McIntyre    (UK)

Travelled to Orlando, 11/10/13. Paid to upgrade to premium cabin, which in my opinion was rubbish and a rip off, the seats were about the only good thing on the outward journey. On the homeward journey had to sit on a pillow because the seat was broken, cabin crew not interested in my predicament. Food was awful and had to pay for head sets, not given any free drinks or blankets on way home. Also no freshen up packs or hot flannels.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  29 October 2013 by S Verrall    (UK)

Flight from Gatwick to Antalya, 19/10. Arrived at airport and told by TCX staff delay with no explanation and very matter of fact in nature. Just told announcement at 3.00pm. Eventually flight took off 3.30 late again no explanation other than hearing from staff on plane that replacement plane was found as original had been hit by lightening the day before! TCX fully aware of issues, no offer of voucher to compensate.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  29 October 2013 by Lynda Morley    (UK)

We flew from Gatwick to Cancun on 5th Oct. Seats on plane are better than they used to be with plenty of leg room, meals looked ok although I don't like food on any plane. We must have been the lucky ones travelling with TC considering all the negative comments, everything went smoothly and found staff extremely helpful.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  24 October 2013 by C Hope    (UK)

We flew from Manchester to Las Vegas, a 10 hour flight on 29/09/13. On the way out they hadn't had their delivery of headphones or something so we couldn't watch anything on the TV's which when you have a 10 hour flight is usually the best part, 10 hours with nothing to watch isn't much fun. I've flown with various flights long haul and have to say Thomas Cook have been the worst so far, one measly meal and a snack over 10 hours is rubbish, no free drinks which you get with KLM when flying long haul. They also ran out of meal options by the time they got to us so we only had the one option and it wasn't that great. It was slightly better on the way back as we had headphones this time but the choice of entertainment was very poor, four films that were on a loop and when your film finished you had a wait in between before you could start watching something else. Other flights I've been on long haul have much better entertainment with multiple channels playing tons of films, programmes etc constantly throughout the flight. I won't be flying with Thomas Cook long haul again.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2013 by S Paterson    (UK)

Delayed 3.5 hours flying home from Lanzarote on Sunday, no apology, explanation or offer of a voucher. My friend was delayed departing on the outbound flight for the same period off time on the way out to Lanzarote. Meanwhile my mother, sister and niece faced a 5 hour delay at Murcia airport. All were flying with Thomas Cook. It seems strange that they have 3 or so flights departing at exactly the same time both inbound and outbound and there is always one that is delayed by similar times due to 'technical errors' in one case and no explanation for the others. I also have never met such rude cabin staff on a flight.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2013 by Harry Bratley    (UK)

6 October, East Midlands to Lanzarote. Airbus A321 booked extra legroom seat A26/A27, next to a door so no window, but quite comfortable. Standard seats looked very tight and uncomfortable. Departed 15 minutes late but arrived 30 minutes early. Cabin crew very unprofessional. Never smiled and just threw food and drinks etc at everyone. In this day and age, 5kgs hand luggage limit is ridiculous! Travelled with TCX because they were much cheaper than Jet 2 on this occasion. However Jet 2 can certainly show the TCX staff a thing or two!

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2013 by James Baines    (UK)

The worst ever flights. They make even Ryanair look good and that's hard to do. From Manchester to Holguin, Cuba, the laziest and rudest cabin crew ever known, atrocious "Food", worst inflight service imaginable, inflight entertainment service not working, to make up for that, they offered a free drink. The flight back was even worse, they kept the cabin at freezing so that you could not sleep, that's because they want to disturb you every few minutes by trying to flog you their incredibly overpriced items and of course, the food was just as bad. We intend to go back to our favourite resort in Cuba next year but we will not, fly this "Mickey Mouse" airline ever again.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2013 by T Bracken    (UK)

Coming back from Turkey last week, queues at the airport were very long. I found out why, these queues are caused by people, with overweight bags. They know the rules. Why don't the Thomas Cook staff tell the check in desk, to inform them when they have got a customer with an overweight bag so these people can be moved to a separate queue. The ones that stick to the rules can then go through without problems.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2013 by Glenn Brown    (UK)

Flew from Gatwick to Antalya on 10th October. Flight due to leave at 9.30am - was delayed till 4.30pm. Reason given for delay was a technical issue with the plane. A painful 9 hours in Gatwick for all passengers - given that most would have arrived at 7.30am for check in. Food vouchers were given out - if you happened to hear about it. Returning after a good holiday on October 17th, we experience another set of delays. The 5.15pm flight from Antlaya did not leave until 10.30pm. The reason for delay was the incoming flight was struck by lightning during a torrential storm and had to be diverted to another airport for landing - before coming back to Antalya. So I was OK with this - and happy to be finally on my way. Only for the announcement on the plane that we were going to have a stop in Vienna ! - to pick up a replacement set of cabin crew - as the existing crew would have worked over their hours and could not per regulations fly with us to London. Thomas Cook lost all credibility here by not telling us this info before we boarded the plane (so passengers had a chance to advise anyone meeting them at Gatwick of the change in arrival time) - and also they lied to passengers by saying we would only be on the ground at Vienna for 5 minutes as the replacement crew would be waiting for us. This was not the case - we were on the ground at Vienna for 1hr 20 minutes (in the plane) waiting for the replacement crew to arrive from London. Finally, we get underway with another painful 2 hours at Gatwick - arriving at 3.45am - much later than our scheduled 7.50pm arrival. Thomas Cook lose all credibility by their dishonesty and lack of clear information on flight delays. Just be upfront and give the facts when you know them - don't dress things up to save face. I also question the large number of flight delays they have - as evidenced by the comments of other passengers. Why does this airline have so many technical issues with their aircraft? It means if you book with Thomas Cook you have to factor in long delays to your trip. Otherwise, book elsewhere.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2013 by S Barron    (UK)

Antalya to Gatwick on 18/10/13. Flight delayed by 3 hours, no one from Thomas Cook could be bothered to tell us while checking in. Paid for seats and were told that that the plane had been changed and the seats were not available. We have always had problems on our return journeys. This is definitely our last time flying with them.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  19 October 2013 by Margaret Clough    (UK)

My husband and I arrived in Cancun on 13th October from Manchester, in the last 30 years of flying I have never felt so unwelcomed, very rude staff, no smiles, in fact I am dreading the journey home. We have booked a holiday in Feb 2014 and will be cancelling it because its Thomas Cook again.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  16 October 2013 by Michelle Morley    (UK)

Travelled Cancun to Manchester. Cannot believe the rudeness of staff on this airline! Entertainment system broken! Pilot tried telling us it was more important to get plane ready for return journey than sitting on the runway trying to mend system! There was various rude comments made throughout the flight to passengers around me, which were uncalled for and very unprofessional. A male hostess asked a colleague about some duty free, to which she replied "what do you want me to do climb over the seats and have a look!" The attendant he was talking to was very rude throughout the whole flight and really gave the impression she did not want to be there - well neither did we! Absolutely appalling!

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  11 October 2013 by J Dand    (Turkey)

Antalya - Gatwick return. I had to fly the outward leg Thomas Cook as I was taking a cat back to the UK and they are the only direct carrier that takes animals, but I made the mistake of booking a return with them, when I should have chosen another carrier such as Easyjet or Monarch of whom I've heard good reports on this route. Outward flight was OK, nice cabin crew as always, I'd paid extra for a bulkhead seat which gave me a bit of extra legroom but spent quite a lot of time standing in the over-packed aircraft. Return was a nightmare. 8 hours at Gatwick waiting for them to provide a replacement for an aircraft damaged on the tarmac. How can a so-called 3-star airline not have contingency aircraft for this - especially when it seems to happen to them so regularly? Absolutely appalling. Why do passengers put up with this? I'd paid for a legroom seat so was reasonably comfortable, but apart from a 10 food voucher there was no compensation for the eight hour wait. I also paid for the 'Priority Bag' service on both legs - a total swindle, my bag only turned up after at least half of the other passengers had already claimed theirs. Luckily I have other choices. Before this I was wondering if it was still worth flying via Istanbul just to get on a BA flight, but this experience has proved that it definitely is. I will never fly Thomas Cook again - I'd rather fly via Reykjavik than entrust my comfort to them again, and even then I'd probably get there sooner!

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  10 October 2013 by Ian Thomas    (UK)

Flight to Lanzarote, 26/9/13. 4 hrs of uncomfortable hell with Thomas Cook, packed in like sardines in a can, no entertainment, so restricted movement in the seats I had problems trying to eat the miserable meal that they provided. If the seat in front of you is reclined you would not even read a book as there was no room in front of you to hold a book, so you have to sit there clock watching to pass the time. I had to stand at the back of the aircraft several times because my legs went numb and I was concerned about DVT. When I discussed my concerns about the risks of DVT the Cabin staff said well you could have ordered a seat with extra leg room for only 10, yes they say 10 but it is really 40 extra, myself and my wife 20 out 20 back. We should have learnt from or experience with Thomas Cook back in 2010.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  10 October 2013 by H Jones    (UK)

Manchester - Rhodes, 21/9/13. Check in quick, polite lady on desk, couldn't hear which rows were being boarded so caused confusion. Flight comfortable, good cabin crew, IFE, male crew member even took time to pause film while announcements being made. Rhodes - Manchester, 2/10/13. Check in quick kept opening more desks to accommodate. Flight time was 15.35 but they started boarding passengers at 14.10 saying they were flying out early within the next 15 mins which was bit suspect as they hadn't put announcement out or displayed on board. Pilot said it was due to headwinds as the flight would be 30 mins longer. As I suspected we left on scheduled time and arrived scheduled time, they just wanted to alleviate people capacity at Rhodes airport! Cabin crew mostly aloof, one more mature crew member down to earth and helpful. Left hand side took so long to serve anything! Had to take what was left of the booked meal as right hand side had given the more choice out. But right hand side refused to take my rubbish, waved her hand and said I was to wait until left hand asked for it. Pilot chirpy and funny. Two films on though they constantly spoke over the film especially at the end of it. Why do crew members hog the aisles and ignore you waiting to get past? Had terrible back ache within ten minutes of sitting down which lasted the whole flight and I am only 5ft 3" the review will score lower as the return flight was worse which let the outbound team down.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  8 October 2013 by M Hunter    (UK)

Manchester to Jamaica, found staff to be unfriendly, rude and not very helpful. They had ran out of chicken at row 20 and we were row 26, we heard them state to one another that no chicken left and never enough are packed. When they reached our row we were not informed sorry no chicken only sausages left, they just sat a tray down with no explanation or conversation. This was our first flight travelling with Thomas Cook and despite reading reviews before travelling was prepared for not as good air experience as others in past but were very disappointed. They spent most of time trying to sell you food, drink and bingo cards! Bearing in mind it was an 11 hour flight not much offered free in respect of fluids. The earphones were another rip off but luckily after reading reviews had taken our own but sound quality was pore as was the choice. It was like watching the big TVs from years ago that we're on the wall only they were on seat back they run same movies and programmes over and over. On return we were delayed 4 hours but luckily were told to remain in hotel until picked up. Had a choice of meal on way back. The staff were all very unfriendly and not approachable at all. Only plus point was the hotel and rep were first class but flights were less than acceptable for a major tour operator. From the majority of reviews on this site not a lot of people have a good experience of travelling with them. Would avoid in future and travel with other airline if possible.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  8 October 2013 by Gerry Long    (UK)

Flew Thomas Cook due to the fact that we only had a week to get to Goa and back and they are one of the few airlines that fly direct to Goa. Flight out was passable, return flight back to Gatwick was the flight from hell. The crew member I dealt with would have been better off behind a bar, after being in the air for 3 hours I had to ask for a drink as nothing had been offered to us. I didn't mind paying as my wife and I were getting so thirsty, the steward stated to myself that they have to look after passengers that have paid for meals on board first! I requested coffee times twice, the air steward huffed and puffed, returned from the trolley with 2 plastic tumblers, 2 cheap coffee sachets, 2 powdered milk sachets and 2 sugar sachets placed his hand in front of my face and stated "that's 5.60 pal". Never felt the need to complain about an airline before. An additional surcharge for any luggage you take with you and put in the hold, yes any suitcase was charged extortionate money each way, not additional luggage but any suitcase, who goes somewhere on a 9 hour flight and only takes hand luggage? Would have been cheaper to fly Air India or even Emirates to Mumbai.

Thomas Cook Airlines Customer review :  8 October 2013 by Paul Grifiths    (UK)

Really old 757-200 flight from LGW-HRG. Flight time 4 hrs 37 minutes. On time flight from LGW, landed at HRG 20 minutes early, ok seat, legroom was as expected slightly cramped but no different pitch to most airlines. Window was scratched badly and could hardly see out of it! Nice Crew and Inflight meal and they played a Inflight Movie. Would I use TCX again? Yes, they were the cheapest airline over to Hurghada so value wise cant complain. Coming back from HRG it was cheaper for me to book a Easyjet flight home - found the aircraft much nicer and a newer designed seat with better leg room. Cant complain would use Thomas Cook again.