Thomson Airways Passenger Reviews and Thomson Airways Customer Trip Reports

Thomson Airways Customer review :  21 November 2013 by A Starr    (UK)

Myself and my husband recently travelled from Manchester to Cancun on the Dreamliner - TOM 144, 26 October. The flight itself was great ie entertainment, comfort and the cabin crew were very pleasant. We were absolutely disgusted though with the standard of food offered. The main meal was a chicken and rice dish which was awful but the teatime cheese and pickle ploughman's on some sort of bread was absolutely disgusting. It really turned my stomach and my husband refused to eat his as well. The flight was 10 hours long so I would have expected a better standard of food with the money we paid. On return TOM145, 9 November - the food was not much better. The best part was the bacon sandwich for breakfast just before landing at Manchester. Thomson are letting themselves down.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  14 November 2013 by Glenn Biffen    (UK)

Travelled out from LGW last Sunday. Aircraft was late boarding (20 minute ). Once on board we were We flew as 'flight only' passengers: EMA-ALC-EMA; travelling to own apartment so no hold baggage whatsoever. Dismayed that even for this travel status there was no on-line checking facility. The weight and size restriction was adhered to (5kgs so quite limited compared to most) however, as a result, many essential items such as documents were ultimately (and accidently) left at home so as to avoid problems and embarrassment. Arrived to check in for this early flight and discovered that majority of passengers had cabin baggage that deserved to be in the hold and appeared not to be checked for size and weight. Rules need to be consistent across the board with this airline regardless of your travel status. On-line check in would be a good idea too! Overall, cabin crew were fairly good.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  14 November 2013 by Graham Bateman    (UK)

Travelled out from LGW last Sunday. Aircraft was late boarding (20 minute ). Once on board we were informed by the captain that we were still refuelling and this would take another 20 minutes. Once this had bee completed we were then told of a further 20 minute delay as they were waiting for a spare part to take on our flight to Mali. This delay turned I to a 1 hour and 30 minute hold up stuck on the plane! I travel frequently and I have to say that Thomson are really going down hill. Staff only interested in trying to sell the duty free.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  10 November 2013 by K Hughes    (UK)

My husband and I travelled on our 5th flight in 3 years with Thomson from Birmingham to Rhodes and the outbound flight was a complete shambles. We purchased extra leg room seats at the airport and these were located at the front of the plane. Immediately upon boarding the cabin manager exclaimed that Thomson really shouldn't sell those seats as they were in her workspace so we could get a lot of disturbance - very professional of her! 30 minutes into the flight a cabin crew member was taken ill and was seated in the kitchen area in front of us and opposite the toilet. We were then all told we could no longer use that toilet because it impinged on her privacy and had to use the one's located the other end of the plane. Okay but the way the crew spoke to passengers who were queuing was an utter disgrace they were so rude. We had paid over 1000 for our seats and were spoken to as if we were just a complete nuisance for wanting basic needs to be met. There were 2 crew members looking after the one taken ill and service in the cabin was severely inhibited because of this and passengers were unable to obtain food and drink and told to stay seated. The Cabin manager told us that the reason her colleague had been taken ill was because she had been doing a fasting diet - very irresponsible when she had duty of care to hundreds of passengers at 37000 feet! When we were due to land I was told I needed to move from my seat so that the ill crew member could be seated near the exit for landing and I was hurriedly escorted to a crew seat at the back of the plane and told to leave my belongings because I could get them later. I was given no assistance to get back to my seat, my husband and my belongings when the plane landed and this was virtually impossible to do with all the passengers blocking the aisle. My husband did not realise I had put the books purchased at the airport to enjoy on my holiday in the overhead locker and subsequently they got left behind. My complaint to Thomson took 2 months to get a response and their reply was inadequate. It appears that customer service comes way down the list of their priorities and we will not travel with Thomson again.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  6 November 2013 by W Smith    (UK)

Travelled on the Dreamliner from East Midlands to Cancun 16/10/2013 and returned 31/10/13, fantastic plane, smooth flight, mood lighting reflects the time of day / night and didn't suffer with much jet lag after return. Lots of room in economy and I'm glad I didn't upgrade to cabin, plenty of entertainment to choose from seat back touch screen TV and excellent food and service. Can't wait to book up and fly on the Dreamliner again.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  5 November 2013 by T Cal    (UK)

Flew MAN-IBZ-MAN on TOM2322/2323 on the Boeing 757-200 which was the exact aircraft going as coming back. The cabin crew were pleasant and welcomed each passenger on board and pointing out which way each passenger was seated. Leg room was fair but for a 2 hour 30 min flying time it didn't bother me but any longer would have presented a problem. If flying long haul the leg room wouldn't be ideal to places such as SID etc. IFE seemed to be TVs that were overhead but due to the shortness of flight were not used. The cabin service was adequate however everything you had to pay an inflated price for but not as bad as Ryanair etc. Flight deck announcements were great and kept the cabin up to date including cruising altitudes and route information with weather information also. Overall the Thomson B757-200 is a great aircraft however would only be ideal for me flying 3 hours or less unless the seat pitch was improved like other airlines.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  5 November 2013 by N Pinkerton    (UK)

GLA-LPA, 25th Oct. A very poor service both outward and on return from grumpy and disinterested cabin crew who were clearly just doing the bare minimum. Cabin service on short haul services now reduced to those offered by Ryanair - i.e. sell, sell, sell. Vastly over priced "snack boxes" replace the meal service. A scone and a cheap teacake is GBP 4, a box containing processed plastic cheese, two mini crispbreads and a tiny packet of crisps is 4.50. I was overcharged for the "meals" by the cabin manager and when complained, the refund was given with little more than a insincere "sorry". Ageing, grubby 757, no inflight entertainment, a new inflight magazine that does not contain any articles apart from Thomson propaganda, crew that couldn't care less. Will I choose Thomson again for short haul - why bother - they clearly don't.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  5 November 2013 by M Shiell    (UK)

Travelled to Cyprus from Manchester on 13th October, Package holiday. Flight out was on Dreamliner, we found this to be a great experience: more leg room-, fantastic in-flight entertainment, fresh toilets, quiet flight, air levels more comfortable. No such luck on the return flight, we came back to earth with a bump! The flight was pleasant enough but didn't compare to Dreamliner. No entertainment on 5 hour flight, leg room ok, toilets not so fresh, 'heavy' air in cabin, itched most of way home. Cabin crew were hard working on both flights, wouldn't like their job trying to deal with a few unreasonable customers!

Thomson Airways Customer review :  1 November 2013 by Jack Stafford    (UK)

MAN-TFS, B767-300. Was meant to be on the dreamliner but wasn't due to technical faults with the aircraft. The crew explained the situation really well and we departed on time. There was plenty of legroom and the cabin service was fantastic. I purchased a Bacon Sandwich which was really tasty. The captain made frequent announcements and updated us on any progress made. Very smooth flight with brilliant landing and takeoff. Crew were really friendly and helpful throughout. Outbound fantastic. TFS-MAN, B787-800. The dreamliner aircraft was out of this world. It really puts the customer at heart and fuels all the senses. We departed on time and landed on time. The cabin service was excellent again and the captain made regular announcements. Very smooth flight. Inbound fantastic. I would definitely recommend Thomson.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  30 October 2013 by Christine Harbin    (UK)

Just flown back from Sanford Orlando on the new Dreamliner. Lovely aircraft lots of legroom in economy cabin felt very fresh the mood lighting is very different, food was good. Air crew very nice. Didn't seem to suffer as much jet lag this time must be due to the cabins having far more oxygen.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  29 October 2013 by Colin Pay    (UK)

LGW-MAH return. Out on an older B737-800 very cramped seating, luckily no one in front so no reclining issues. Return on newer version of same plane, much more leg room, aircraft about half full. Both legs on time, cabin crew good. Did not purchase any food or drinks. Would not wish to travel very long on older aircraft. Used these flights as part of a villa package so no choice of carrier.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  29 October 2013 by B Dudley    (UK)

9 hour 51 min delay at Gatwick, Dreamliner had air conditioning fault - TOM62, 11th Oct. No proper information. Constant requests for updates ignored. Eventually offered meal voucher had to join line straggling across main departure area while one person handed out voucher after checking ticket and boarding pass. Eventually took off after replacement standard plane flew in from Manchester. First thing crew did was start selling tea and coffee. 25th Oct, Cancun TOM63 Dreamliner another fault. 1 hour 30 min delay. Minimum information, minimum concern from staff. Eventually took off. First thing crew started selling. One toilet in economy not working stewards refused to let people use premium loos. Cups marked economy in large print so we did not drink from premier ones. 11 hour flight was made a misery each way by Thomson disgusting attitude to customers.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  26 October 2013 by N Morrison    (UK)

Went on a Thomson cruise holiday which flew into and out of Pathos, Cyprus. The aircraft was a Thomson marked modern Boeing 737-800. No problem with the plane as such but we were crammed into a small seating arrangement both ways. Our biggest gripe is the lack of customer care taken by the airline with regards health. It seems Thomson no longer let any fresh air into the cabins but other than the minimum requirement but just re-circulate the stale air on board. This leads to lots of people getting what's known as "Cabin Cough". They do this as it costs them extra money to circulate fresh air from outside in fuel costs. They are not alone many other airlines are now doing this it seems. This results in many of their passengers getting cold like symptoms.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  23 October 2013 by F Kieran    (UK)

Birmingham to Mahon and back (9-16th). The plane was a little dated and the seats were tightly packed together in a 3-3 formation. The plane was due to take off at 7.15, however due to a passenger becoming ill, we had to wait for paramedics which meant we didn't take off until 8.10. The cabin crew were excellent dealing with the unfortunate ill passenger, and constantly keeping the rest of us informed. Once in the air, we were served hot food, then drinks, then duty free sales. There is no inflight entertainment on these short haul flights, but this didn't bother me. The food was averagely priced for an airplane. The seats were cramped and had little leg room, but I didn't find this an issue as the flight was only 2 hours long. As a nervous flyer I felt totally safe and comfortable with the outbound flight. Coming back was a different story. Once we were started boarding the plane, the cabin crew were running around, laughing, joking and generally being unprofessional. I didn't feel safe in their hands whatsoever. Once in the air I ordered a drink, for a woman to practically throw my change in my face. After I muttered she rudely snapped at me saying 'we are busy. You're not the only passenger who wants a drink'. All in all, I would probably recommend Thomson, for the simple fact that they do decent flights, at decent prices. It's just a shame that the cabin crew on the returning flight weren't as nice as the ones from the outbound flight.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  23 October 2013 by R Jones    (UK)

Flew back to London Luton from Dalaman in Turkey. The problem was not with the flight itself but the way Thomson uses Dalaman airport. They land about 9 aircraft within minutes of each other and they all (attempt!) to take off again within minutes of each other and the Airport simply cannot cope. The problem arises with the aircraft using remote parking spots on the airport apron. Passengers for these are shunted off into the suffocating basement of the terminal where there are about six gates with nowhere near enough room to accommodate passengers. So you get families with young children sitting on the floor and being treated like cattle. It's human nature - certainly amongst the British - to start forming queues which bear no relationship to the order in which the flights depart. One gate was being used for two different flights. There were no announcements from the departure gate staff even though some flights were delayed without any reference to it on the screens. Such confusion can lead to panic and stress situations - what a way to treat your customers! When we eventually got in a bus - the driver had no idea which aircraft he was supposed to decant us to - he had a choice of nine! When we eventually departed an hour late and after such a stressful boarding process, there was not a hint of an apology from the Captain. Mind you he couldn't even remember the name of his Cabin Supervisor. All in all - pretty shambolic.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  21 October 2013 by J Morse    (UK)

Premium

We flew back from Cancun to Birmingham on 5th October 2013. The outbound flight was good but the inbound flight was awful and not up to standard. We had paid the extra to Premium Club seats and was very disappointed. The entertainment did not work and we were unable to have the menu of our choice and was offered the economy menu as an alternative. The reading light did not work and with no entertainment it made the 10 hour flight extremely long and boring. The cabin crew were very friendly and helpful on the outbound flight but were less so on the inbound flight. Duty free was nearly non existent but there was sales pressure to buy the limited options available. We were advised by the cabin manager to put in a complaint. We had a a lovely holiday but the edge was taken off it by the very poor flight home.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  19 October 2013 by R Williams    (UK)

Premium

We flew from Manchester to Sanford premium economy on 4th October - I was a little apprehensive after reading some of these reviews but we have no complaints whatsoever! My husband is 6ft tall and he sat in the window seat because I tend to fidget and like to move around - yes the armrest sticks out but no one seemed to have a problem! The crew were absolutely brilliant and couldn't do enough for us, the food was delicious compared to some other carriers - it was lovely to be treated like adults with proper cutlery etc and it gave it that special touch. It's obviously a personal choice to go premium, to pay that bit extra for the extra service and I wouldn't have been impressed if the rest of the aircraft passengers would've come through to use the toilets in premium cabin. We came back on the dreamliner a week later on the 11th October - we had different seats on the way back but still no complaints. Again, the crew were fab - nothing was too much trouble for them, they were very chatty whilst still being professional and I wouldn't hesitate to travel with Thomson again. People may say we 'fell lucky' after reading their reviews and the bad time they had but we're thoroughly satisfied with the aircraft and service and will be booking again soon. My only complaint is that our holiday didn't last long enough!

Thomson Airways Customer review :  17 October 2013 by G C Nock    (UK)

Premium

EMA-Sanford in premium on the Dreamliner. We had a pleasant flight both outward and inbound on the 787 dreamliner. It is a spacious comfortable aircraft, the seats and legroom are very good whilst sitting but not that great when trying to sleep due to the lack of recline. They are also awkward to squeeze past if you have a window seat due to the centre console. The food and beverages served were reasonable. The cabin crew were good offering an efficient service. In my opinion a service that is at least as good as Virgin premium economy at a cheaper rate.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  16 October 2013 by Mike Howells    (UK)

Gatwick to Larnaca, Cyprus, 18 Sep 2013, for flight only. As we thought seat pitch would be similar to Easyjet, Aer Lingus and Ryanair, we did not book premier seating. Wrong decision. We were right at the back of an old 757, in row 36. At 6'4" I could just get into the seat, but could not sit back, so stood until just before take off. A steward noticed me and, after being told the seating was unacceptable, arranged for alternative seating once airborne. Better. My wife, at 5'5" could just sit down, but uncomfortably. The seats had been crammed together, so the pitch was too short. The seats were also narrower, and the other 3 in our party had an uncomfortable flight out. During our week away, I was constantly fretting about the flight back, so the holiday was less than restful. On returning to Larnaca for the flight back, we arrived early, and the Thomson staff tried to convince us that the seat pitch was the same for Easyjet etc, and we had not been relegated to the back as we had booked a flight only. They failed on both counts. However, we then booked 2 premier seats, as no more were available, so the 2 men had plenty of legroom, but no better seat width, while our wives behind us had to suffer our seats reclining on their own. We were again in the back of the aircraft. The seats were uncomfortable as any padding had long since been compacted. Many other passengers in the back agreed they were much too restricted.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  10 October 2013 by Gayle Kelly    (UK)

Flew Birmingham to Sanford. Upgraded to premium but it was not worth the extra money. The seat base was like sitting on a plank of wood, no padding and really uncomfortable. If you suffer with lower back problems or sciatica you will probably be in pain after 8 hours. The back of the seat and the head rest were fine, just strange that they had not put padding in the seats! There is more than enough leg room though so that was good. The width didn't feel any bigger than normal and the worst thing was the armrests were hard plastic and after an hour I had to pad them both using the blankets they gave us. Not impressed. The entertainment was ok, but the system was temperamental and kept stopping the films. Although the cabin crew did apologize, not really their fault though. The food however was really nice. I don't know if it was a difference to standard but we enjoyed it. Overall though, I wouldn't bother upgrading - waste of money.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  10 October 2013 by D Creasey    (UK)

Gatwick to Aruba, August 2013. Outward flight was good and worth the upgrade price. Staff on outward trip were very good and food, entertainment and service very good. The return trip unfortunately takes our rating right down. Food was overheated and dry. Wine served after the meal had been eaten and roll served after the meal. Only one hot drink offered. Staff seemed more bothered about getting duty free goods sold. Rubbish and survey form not collected on our row. Ran out of orange juice at breakfast serving and given plastic cutlery (not usual in premium class). The return trip experience means that we would not travel premium with Thomson again. Probably just as well to just book extra leg room seats in economy class.