Thomson Airways Passenger Reviews and Thomson Airways Customer Trip Reports

Thomson Airways Customer review :  7 April 2014 by J Mills    (UK)

Premium

I travelled with my husband and 7 year old daughter on the Dreamliner, Manchester to Cancun in Aug 2013. We had a fantastic experience on the plane. The upgrade to premium economy was worth every penny, we were sat in row 1 in the middle, we had plenty of room so much that my daughter sat on floor playing games for some of flight. The food was fab we were given a choice of 3 meals and drink was free flowing whole of flight. My only problem being short was unable to reach over head lockers. We were very comfortable and thought space at back of premium economy section was fab as it enabled you to walk round, stretch legs etc, we stood chatting to other passengers enjoying flight! The pilot after landing even let my daughter look in cockpit and ask questions made whole experience better. We enjoyed experience so much already booked Dreamliner for this Aug premium economy again.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  5 April 2014 by Pickering Alan    (UK)

Premium

We flew on the Dreamliner from Manchester to Cancun. We opted to upgrade to premium seating. The experience was well worth the money. Every aspect about the flight was all that was advertised. If only all flight experiences were like this.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  5 April 2014 by Pickering Alan    (UK)

Premium

Having flown out to Cacun on the Dreamliner, it was a shock and a huge disappointment to return from Cancun on flight Tom 197 on an old First Choice banger. We had upgraded to premium but premium it was not. Seating was cramped, up against the bulk head in F1 and G1. 36 inches of leg room? Never. 9 inch seat back TV. No, a screen tucked in between the seats, so hard to get out as was the tray tables. Neither was user friendly. The seats so hard you would have thought you were sitting on a park bench. You could hear the moans in the cabin as people discovered what they had bought in their upgrade. A 9.5 hour flight that was uncomfortable.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  31 March 2014 by Rick Kempster    (UK)

I booked to fly from Bournemouth in Feb 2014, but after booking, Thomson changed the departure location to Gatwick. I was given 25 pp compensation but the change proved considerably more expensive and inconvenient. Subsequently, I noticed that flights from Gatwick are invariably cheaper than from Bournemouth, but in taking this up with Thomson, plus the likelihood of a flight being changed again, they have proved most unhelpful. I shall not fly with them again, despite taking frequent trips to Lanzarote.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  31 March 2014 by L Roberts    (UK)

TOM847, 21 March 2014. The worst flight I have had the misfortune to be on, no room to move, no leg room, nowhere to stand, nothing to listen to or watch. The food was disgusting and the cramped conditions bordering on dangerous. Take some of the seats out and put the prices up before everyone stops flying on journeys longer than 2 hours.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  31 March 2014 by Gary Matthews    (UK)

Have flown twice in the premium cabin to Goa and Thailand and would not waste my money again, having booked both holidays at the same time after our first leg of four we realised that we had been conned. The seating layout was dreadful, how anyone could come up with that layout beggars belief. Firstly the recline and footrest were pathetic there was very little recline, and the footrest was not worth the effort, in addition to this we were trapped in our seats, unless you had an aisle seat you could not get out without your neighbour getting up first, which when you have 11 hour plus flights is just not good enough. The food was at best very average and overall a horrible experience. This was simply a case of a new plane with the potential to deliver a first class experience ruined by greedy Thomson executives taking my money under false pretences.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  27 March 2014 by Michelle Boudaxe    (UK)

Flew from East Midlands to Mexico last October on 787 Dreamliner with two little kids and my husband. I loved the aircraft. The cabin crew were so kind with the children. They gave them colouring books and helped us get the TV's working. My husband and I enjoyed the large space. At about 8.20 UK time we received our all day breakfast which was excellent. About 3 hours later the children woke up and had a little continental breakfast. Later we had our mid-air snack whilst flying over New York. I enjoyed the flight and we are going to Mexico again this year on 30th July.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  22 March 2014 by B Ros    (UK)

Premium

Flew to Cuba, Dreamliner, 12th March for one week, Premium. Worst flight I have ever had, (not the planes fault). Seating arrangement very poor, trapped in my seat on back row near loo, when I did need to get out I had to climb over the seat next to me, food dreadful, worst I have had on a flight. Sleep impossible, hardly any recline. Travelled Premium on old first choice plane last year, it was much more comfortable with service to match.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  22 March 2014 by Alan McClure    (UK)

Flew Birmingham to Sal in early March. Standard seats on the 757 are pretty brutal especially on a longer sector, the seat pitch is just too tight to get comfortable. Food provided in the fare was a bonus and acceptable.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  19 March 2014 by C Case    (UK)

Flew out to Cancun on the Dreamliner on 5th March and back on 12th. I must say the first thing that struck me on boarding was the sense of space - the seat pitch is much better than the 767 and the entertainment was superb. Crew were really attentive, overall a brilliant flight and loved the aircraft.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  12 March 2014 by M Stanley    (UK)

Premium

Flew out 16th Feb, TOM060. Returned 3rd March, TOM061. Worst long haul flight I have taken. We travelled budget but with extra leg room seats. We were not told that they claim back the extra legroom by providing the narrowest seats I have ever travelled in. It is a physical impossibility for all 3 passengers to eat a meal at the same time even though they are all provided together. The food is another story could it be Thomson want to outdo all other airlines by providing the worst food I have encountered in 30 years of travelling. This after spending 60 minutes in the plane on the tarmac due to the complete breakdown of Thomson booking in procedure (which I am informed occurs regularly). Never again.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  11 March 2014 by P Tong    (UK)

16th Feb 2014, TOM 054. 3rd March, TOM 055. Dreamliner. Overall feeling of space is good, plenty of overhead storage, though some of the cabin crew can not reach in the bins, I would have thought this a safety issue. I know this is an Inclusive tour type operation but with a new aircraft I found it very disappointing, I am 5 ft 9 ins and not overweight the seats are tiny, if you are a large person a long sector would be hell, seat pitch is more generous than some. You pay for everything, ok it's that sort of airline, but you should never have to pay for water. Food just ok as is the entertainment. All in all you get what you pay for and we knew this, but for a new aircraft I would have thought the seats and aisles should be bigger, cabin service ok, but some of our cabin crew neede to be re trained in customer service. We thought we should try them but will never fly long haul with them again, I would pay more for a scheduled Airlime premium cabin.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  10 March 2014 by A Lewy    (UK)

We flew to Dominican Republic on 14 February in Thomson's new Sardineliner. The seat width is 1 inch less than usual to cram more people in Economy, and although there is more leg room being unable to move left us both with an aching back. The food was horrible. Frozen food was stored in the Passenger overhead lockers leaving insufficient room for passengers belongings and water condensed on the boxes and dripped on our clothes - my jacket in the locker was soaking wet. The plane had to make an emergency landing and use the full length of the runway because the top wing flaps failed to work. We learned that 2 weeks previous the flight was delayed by 24hrs because of technical problems. Our return flight was delayed 24hrs due to "technical problems" again. We were moved to inferior accommodation. The only good thing I can say is that the pilot kept everyone well informed and was honest about all problems encountered.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  5 March 2014 by W Ahearne    (UK)

Premium

Flew back from Barbados to Birmingham on 2nd March on a Boeing 767-300 which had been charted by P&O. The aircraft was 5 hours late taking off due to the knock on effect of technical problems with their so called Dreamliner. During our arrival at Barbados airport we were in addition informed by letter that the entertainment system was not working, not what you want to hear when you have an 8hr flight in front of you. We had upgraded to premium class and expected better from Thomson and it worries us that they can not maintain an entertainment system which also included the reading light, service call etc. The one positive from this flight was that the staff on TOM 831 were superb and really tried to make the journey as bearable as possible.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  3 March 2014 by John Dallinger    (UK)

Had the most uncomfortable 8hr flight on a 767 aircraft from Barbados to Gatwick on 1 March 2014 which had been chartered by P and O Cruises. The plane must have been at least 30 years old, passengers were treated badly by staff who just weren't interested in the complaints. The food was a disgrace, the temperature in the cabin was so cold that most passengers had to sit with a blanket around them, when I asked staff if they could increase the temperature I was told it could not be adjusted. The aircraft had individual TVs but there wasn't any headphones. The air conditioning was leaking above our heads. We were supposed to have returned on the new Dreamliner aircraft which we flew to Barbados on but apparently it had a technical problem which none of the Thomson staff onboard knew about so was replaced by the 767.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  3 March 2014 by Ian McArdle    (UK)

Travelled with Thomson on Dreamliner to Phuket in economy 13 hrs Feb 2014 returned on 19th Feb in Premium class. Economy was fine same choice of IF entertainment as premium which was great, loads of choice of blockbuster films, games TV programmes etc. I did find the economy earphones not to be great as they let in lots of background noise so bring your own! - adequate leg room (row 33). We did not witness any disruption to row 30 because of toilet queues as per previous reviews. Food was ok in line with all airline food - there was no choice however service was great with lots of visits to buy drinks etc. Was a comfortable 13 hour flight (if there is such a thing) roomy cabin and I thought only slightly quieter than other aircraft's. We travelled back Premium check in was great although you don't get VIP service through security at Phuket. The seats are obviously larger and more comfortable though the foot rest is a waste of time! Service was great with choice of menus and lots of drink availability. If you are in middle seat or window make sure you are familiar with the person beside you as getting out is feat given the arm rests! The option to stretch your legs at the back of the premium cabin was a great facility however and I think almost everyone took advantage of this. Thomson wanted 750 return for premium - not worth that in my opinion rather spend that on the holiday. Food was ok in line with all airline food - there was no choice however service was great with lots of visits to buy drinks etc. Disembarking was a joke as Premium are supposed to be let of first – a few people stampeding from economy cabin pushing in front of premium passengers once doors open – Thomson staff said nothing. Our cases were then the last off! So still some points to iron out. On the whole the cabin staff were very friendly and helpful, I tend to think that after a 14 hour flight they couldn't be bothered anymore which I can understand.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  25 February 2014 by Tim Stannard    (UK)

We travelled to Sharm in March 2013. Outbound flight was unremarkable. Average budget airline, enough legroom, but only just. 5 hours with only a kindle to watch films on. Seems all airlines are like this on 5hr hour journeys. The return flight was delayed arriving in Sharm to collect us. Thomsons organised coaches, took us to a hotel for the night. All inclusive, meal drinks and breakfast. Then flew us home the next morning.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  25 February 2014 by J Philippe    (UK)

ACE-MAN, B752 yesterday, 23/2/14, aircraft G-CPEU delivered to BA in 1999 originally. Cabin crew requested 2 volunteers to exchange seats with a couple plus infant due to an oxygen mask issue. No problem really, except crew member failed to state whereabouts of the swap so person in row 40 offered to swap but having walked up (and back) through the cabin was informed that volunteers already sorted! Just poor communication. Leg room in economy doubtlessly previously highlighted by reviewers but agreed not good. Seemingly endless cabin crew announcements including full description of the 3 supported charities (for scratchcard sales naturally and loose change giving on disembarkation). Better to put a flyer in seatback so pax can read and donate if they so wish. A neighbouring pax was taken ill during flight but was quickly and effectively dealt with by the crew. Flight deck announcements good, especially being informed they would get back to us at "top of descent" for MAN weather info etc, loved the terminology due to being keen aviation enthusiast. Message to Thomson-cut cabin announcements as far as is practicable; listen to customer feedback and remove a few rows of seats to increase overall pitch - I'm more than willing to stump up a little more money for this.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  24 February 2014 by Michael Shoesmith    (UK)

BHX-LPA, 17th Feb and LPA-LGW on 20th Feb. Thomson is now more like a budget airline, long gone are the days of meals on charter flights, fancy uniforms, the snacks menu is so limited and hardly exciting. The Cabin Crew are genuinely nice and must wonder what ever happened to this airline. Nothing fancy, nothing glamorous anymore about this charter airline. I booked last minute and the price was excellent, but that's it.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  24 February 2014 by Julian Revington    (UK)

MAN to Punta Cana in Premium Economy. Seats 9c and D. Dedicated check in and Fast Pass through security meant we were all done in 15 minutes, Heathrow please note how it should be done! Row 9 on the 767 is the last row of PE seats, and as such, there is no lighting or windows, the only light being the overhead lights, which did not work so we were almost in the dark despite it being a day flight. The IFE did not work despite the crew re-booting many times. The food served was actually alright, but expecting PE passengers to pay for snacks is wrong. The seats were comfortable, if a little narrow, with adequate legroom. All Cabin Crew were pleasant and smiling throughout. The aircraft is clearly old and tired and will probably be replaced soon with the new 787. We arrived on time. Not sure the extra paid for PE is worth it, it is a long way from Virgin or BA PE. Would use Thomsons again if needed.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  20 February 2014 by L Reiri    (New Zealand)

Our holiday in Marrakech was excellent, however, our flight home was quite a disappointment. Moments prior to departing (all safety procedures had been performed, cabin doors were armed, attendants had been asked to take their seats) the Captain then announced an apology for the delay and reported we would be departing shortly. After a further 10-15 mins he announced that they needed to refuel. That said, we were only 15-20 mins late arriving. I travel long haul flights a lot and I've never experienced anything like this before.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  20 February 2014 by Hema Gandhi    (UK)

I was excited to be flying with the well known "Dreamliner". On my way to Florida, they boasted about having the great lighting system with multi-coloured lights which you only see for 2 minutes after taking off, and the boasted about window darkening feature being electronic and no need for shutters like normal planes. I think that was their only highlight of flying with the Dreamliner. Food - there are no options to choose from, if you ordered a meat dish, then you take what is given, there is no alternative which is annoying. On the way back, they gave us a beef dish which me and my husband do not eat. After asking for a vegetarian option, they said sorry, all meals are counted for. So we went without food. There was no blanket on the way there or on the way back. We had to keep our headphones that were given to us on the way there and use them on the way back. The pouch with magazines was covered in bits of food. The general condition of the plane was tatty, it definitely wasn't clean. No soft drinks, you have to pay for that. You only get water and that's with your food. Tea and Coffee only with your food, if you want it any other time, you must pay for this. No eye mask or socks. Overall I would say, the Dreamliner doesn't live up to the dream!

Thomson Airways Customer review :  17 February 2014 by M Connaughton    (UK)

My first experience on the 787 Dreamliner yesterday flying Manchester - Cancun route. On the whole it was a very pleasing experience. I was sat in 16G and the legroom was great for me (6' 1"). Inflight service was good with attendants very attentive. Food was bog standard but edible. IFE was good in terms of choice for the 10:30 flight time. Seats were comfortable enough. I do feel sympathy for the people that upgrade to extra legroom seats in row 30 as this area does full up with people queuing for toilets not matter how many times the flight attendants make announcements. As far as the 787 us concerned I was particularly taken with the large windows and headroom in the cabin. The large windows give passengers in aisle seats and centre cabin seats the ability to have some view outside. Great advancement. Looking forward to see how the mood lighting and oxygen rich environment aid the jet lag process on our return.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  14 February 2014 by T Gall    (UK)

Premium

Flew Dreamliner - premium to Thailand 28th Jan, return 12th Feb. When entering the aircraft first impressions were good, feels airy, light and spacious, but once seated you start to notice the problems especially with the silly situation of the armrests between the seats jutting out too far to accommodate the entertainment systems, where before these were housed in the back of the seat in front. Does not recline as far back as the old seats, found it more comfortable to sit bolt up right as when trying to use the decline it made me slouch so not good for people with back problems, also the seats are rather hard so my bottom was sore after a long 13 hr flight on the way back. My main grouch is the lack of "service" from the crew, well basically there wasn't any. I don't think that premium has dedicated staff for that cabin anymore. Yes, we appeared to get fed and watered first then they would vanish behind the curtain to the main section of the plane and you wouldn't see them for ages. Checked the most recent brochure which doesn't mention dedicated staff as in previous years, so look's like cutting back on costs via staffing levels. There was also an issue with food orders on the way back for the main course, which resulted in quite a few people not having their requested choice, one of the cabin crew even had the cheek to say to a lady that she wasn't flying first class so shouldn't expect that service. Apart from when we first took off when the cabin crew came round with drink orders and also offered wine with our main course we were never offered another drink as on previous flights and a lot of times there was no one to ask anyway, so what are we actually paying for? 3/4 extra inches and uncomfortable seating would be the answer. We have always flown premium when going long haul with Thomson but am now seriously thinking about cancelling our premium seating already booked for our next holiday. There are a few positives, I liked that they have an extra loo in the cabin, that there is a little area at the back of the last row of seating where you can stretch your legs and that there was ample storage.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  13 February 2014 by Peter Jones    (UK)

Premium

Flew to Jamaica, 9th Jan 2014, upgraded to premium class but did not receive premium service. Had to board with all the other passengers, no drinks on flight back for over 1 hour. Brochure shown dreamliner or new 767 we flew on oldest, most uncomfortable plane I have ever been on.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  13 February 2014 by Wilson Norman    (UK)

Travelled to Goa and back on the Dreamliner, paid for extra legroom seats both ways 30b and 30c. A nightmare both ways, could not stretch our legs these seats are beside the toilets and our feet were trodden on for the flight out and the flight back. At one point we had 8 people standing over us waiting for the toilets. When I complained to Thomson I was told we got what we paid for and they were not responsible for other passengers behaviour. So these seats are to be avoided at all costs.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  12 February 2014 by S Rogers    (UK)

We just arrived back from Gran Canaria - Las Palmas from London Gatwick. Flight 4141 on 10/02/2014. The weather obviously plays a big part in inflight comfort. Both us being nervous flyers it's important to us we get a smooth journey. We have to say on the outward bound journey we were well informed by the flight deck of any potential turbulent air, it turned out there really wasn't any to speak of. The actual cabin crew were friendly, efficient and cheerful. The return flight again had happy staff in the cabin and organised and informative flight crew. The usual route back would have been along the coast of Portugal but due to the ever freakish weather the captain informed us of a detour inland, then during the flight again he avoided what looked like some nasty turbulence. It did genuinely seem as if this particular flight crew were concerned about passenger comfort. It was well received.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  11 February 2014 by J Kieran    (UK)

13 Jan 2014, Gatwick to Mombasa - TOM076. 28 Jan 2014, Mombasa to Gatwick - TOM077. On the way out we sat in seats 30B and 30C, which were by the toilets. We had paid 180 each way for extra leg room. It was an overnight flight and the whole time people were queuing for the toilets - the door slamming and toilet flushing each time someone used them, with the resultant unpleasant smells, or people were just stood around chatting to stretch their legs. People constantly stood on or tripped over our feet as we tried to sleep. We could not eat our meal because of the awful odours coming from the toilets. On the way back we sat in row 10, extra leg room and away from the toilets - this journey was absolutely fine, as were all others aspects of the flight. On our return we complained to Thomson, who just stated - you paid for extra leg room, which you got - not a very satisfactory response. However, as I say, the other aspects of the flight - the staff, food, seat comfort, and flights being on time - were fine. Do not sit in row 30! A nice plane but with a few teething problems.

Thomson Airways Customer review :  10 February 2014 by Stevenson Kevin    (UK)

My wife and I flew on the Thomson Dreamliner - Gatwick to Puerto Plata (and back). We reserved seats 39G / J for both legs of our trip. These are great little seats despite the decrease recline. You still get more of a recline than you would on a normal flight so it's OK. The only issue is if the person in front of you reclines fully then the screen is at a slightly funky position. Both flights were pretty smooth (a little turbulence) and very comfortable. The food was decent - nothing spectacular but decent. We got 2 meals on both legs of the journey. Crew on the outbound flight were pretty poor - only did one run for drinks and had no authority - to the point where one man was standing up during landing. The flight home was shorter than scheduled which was appreciated and the lighting was very subtle. Really enjoyed both flights and look forward to flying the Dreamliner again.