LAN Airlines Customer Reviews and LAN Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

LAN Airlines Customer review :  20 March 2015 by D Waldron    (Australia)

We flew from Santiago to Sao Paulo in Premium Economy and had a very good experience. We departed a little late however arrived on-time so no concerns there. After reading some earlier reviews I was a little apprehensive about the service however found the staff to be efficient and friendly, and the meal was very good… I would go as far to say it was far better than Qantas (also in PE) from Sydney to Santiago.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by P Cross    (USA)

My wife and I flew LAN/TAM from JFK to Sao Paulo and returned from Santiago in February 2015. LAN's facilities at JFK are way below standard and they can't handle the slightest problem. While there were weather issues on both ends of our trip, they did not justify the poor handling of flights by LAN. On the outgoing flight there were 3 planes loads of passengers waiting at one gate at JFK. This is close to 1000 people all expecting to fly out. It appears LAN only has one gate at JFK. Also, they seem to be dependent on American Airlines to service their planes. When something goes wrong, like the weather, American will, of course, service their own planes first. The counter staff continually lied to everyone about the situation. The only truthful statement they made was that the flights were not cancelled. When our plane finally was ready to board, 7 hours late, all 1000 people were trying to figure out what flight was boarding because the lighted sign was wrong and still said all flights were on time. Finally someone taped a paper sign over the lighted sign to say what flight was boarding. Our flight was first of 3 and we were 7 hours late. I have no idea how long the other folks waited. On the return flight the Captain proudly announced we landed at JFK on time. However, we sat in the plane for 2.5 hours on the tarmac because there were no gates. Finally, to avoid being fined (after 3 hours) they unloaded us on the tarmac and bussed us to the terminal. Why didn't they do that 2 hours earlier? I will never fly LAN in the US again. They don't have the facilities and depend on American, which itself is another story. Our experience in South America has been much better. Take American to South America and then fly LAN between cities there.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by Nimmo Angus    (UK)

28th October, 2014. Flew Madrid to Lima. Flight delayed 1hr. This did not affect me as I was served drink and savouries. Excellent staff and wonderful seats. Flight departed aporox 1am. Slept for approx 8 hours. Awoke flying over Ecuador. Excellent breakfast. Will definitely fly again with LAN.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by Beck Chris    (USA)

I flew from JFK to MVD via SCL on Feb. 14. We were scheduled to depart at 8pm from Terminal 8 (American/One World but Air Berlin plane still at our gate). It had snowed earlier that day so flights were being cancelled or delayed, however the LAN flight was still being shown on the departure information board as being on time. The young lady from LAN also told me that the flight was on time. We finally took off at 11pm after being de-iced. In the air LAN was very good, in the past I used American to MVD from New York (via Miami) and the difference between the two airlines in the air was like night and day. The FA's were friendly young and interacted with the passengers. Missed connection in SCL but LAN had rebooked me on later flight to MVD and also gave me a voucher for food as my flight was not until mid afternoon. Flight to MVD on A320, the seats seemed to be wider than on the 787 and also a bit more leg room. Coming back from MVD to JFK, everything was OK until departure from SCL. We were scheduled to depart at 11pm but due to full load plus many families with kids we did not take off until midnight. Again, service and food in the air was excellent (2 entree choices at dinner and breakfast). We were scheduled to arrive at 8am into JFK, as we began our descent, the pilot announced that JFK had just been closed due to weather and we were being diverted to EWR. We landed at 9.30am, waited for an hour to get a gate in Terminal B, went through Immigration and then waited an hour and a half for luggage. Only staff from LAN were the FA's on our flight and they knew as much as we did. I finally left the airport at 1.30pm. LAN was great in the air but not so good on the ground.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by L Smith    (USA)

The customer service on LAN varied greatly. At the check in desk, staff went out of their way to be helpful. Flight attendants on the flights from BA to Lima to JFK were awful. I asked for a glass of water, it never arrived. Later I asked if we could get a bottle of water, I was told no. When I asked for ice during the drink service, only 1 or 2 cubes were provided. A flight to JFK will include a certain number of Americans who don't prefer warm drinks. The cabin in row 14 was extremely warm, i.e. uncomfortable. When using the restrooms, I noticed the rear of the plane was quite comfortable. I went to ask flight attendants if something could be done of if they could look into the temperature. They acted like it was a crazy request. A few hours later, after my hands and feet were uncomfortably swollen, a flight attendant stopped by to see if anyone had answered the call button. This I'd pressed about an hour before. This is lousy service. This flight attendant was marvellous. This new attendant, however, said that the pilot controls the cabin temperature and in fact it was quite warm in our area. She said she'd discuss the issue with the pilot. Half an hour later the temperature was beginning to come down and there was some airflow in the cabin. While we appreciated this one flight attendant and the check in desk service greatly, the rest of our experience with LAN staff was miserable. Maybe re-training is in order.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by D Garratt    (UK)

Just returned from a package tour to Peru flying with LAN. After reading previous reviews I was not looking forward to the flight. I need not have been concerned as everything from check in at Heathrow to returning via Madrid was excellent (apart from the final leg with Iberia). The inflight entertainment was vast, food good by airline standards, cabin staff attentive helpful and smiling. There was two short internal flights complete with included snacks and drinks.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Chris Beck    (USA)

I flew LAN on Feb 14 from JFK to MVD via SCL. Flight was scheduled to depart at 8pm. However, it snowed (not heavily) that afternoon. Arrived at JFK with plenty of time. Flight shown on departure board as being on time. I was at the gate at 7pm and the flight still showed on time, however, there was an Air Berlin plane at our gate. According to the agent, the flight was still leaving on time even though the plane was not there. We finally left the gate at about 10pm and had to wait to be de-iced. Took off at 11pm. Plane was a Dreamliner and other than the having little room between seats, was great. Food service on LAN was much better than on American which I usually use to go to MVD. Flight attendants were young, enthusiastic and had good rapport with the passengers. Dinner was a choice of beef or pasta and I chose the beef which was quite good. LAN still uses regular cutlery for meal service (no plastic ware) and glass for wine (no plastic cup). Breakfast was also a choice of two different meals, cheese sandwich or eggs and sausage which I chose. The eggs and sausage came in s ceramic dish. Far cry from American's minuscule continental breakfast. Arriving at SCL, all transit passengers went to transit area, LAN had already printed boarding passes for connecting flights and also provided voucher for food while waiting for the connection. I don't think that any US carrier would do that nowadays. Flight from SCL to MVD was on A320 which was more comfortable than seating on Dreamliner. LAN offered snack service (sandwich and beverage) on 2.5 hour flight which most US carriers do not do any more. Return from MVD to SCL was also on A320, boarding pass issued at MVD showed Gate 5, however departure board showed Gate 4 (which was correct gate). Again, LAN offered snack service to SCL. SCL to NYC was a nightmare. We were scheduled to leave at 11pm but did not depart until midnight. The plane was full with families with children onboard, many of whom cried, screamed at night. Perhaps airlines should keep a stock of pacifiers on board. After take off, dinner was served and again, the offerings were much better than American's. We were scheduled to land at 8am at JFK, as we began our approach and landing gear and flaps were down, the captain announced that JFK had just been closed due to weather conditions and we would go to Newark instead. Landed at Newark at 9.30am and waited for an hour on taxiway for gate to be made available. Disembarked at 10.30 and by 11 was through passport control. Then we had to wait for 90 minutes for the luggage to start coming onto the carousel. Left the airport at 1pm. LAN had no one there for assistance except some of the flight attendants who did no have that much information. LAN was great in the air but terrible on the ground.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Jacquenet Xavier    (Chile)

For a 5.000 dollars business class ticket from Santiago to Papeete, what did I get? A broken seat, no lounge access neither in Santiago, nor in Papeete, and not even at the stop in Easter Island, sparkling wine that they tried to sell as "champagne", no moisturizer (for a 10 hour flight + stop), no newspaper in English and the window seat I had secured when I bought the ticket had been changed to an aisle one on the return leg. To sum it up, an economy class service at a business class price.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by C Steinle    (Ecuador)

Flew from MEX-LIM-GYE-UIO. First flight 6 hours delayed arrived at 4 am missed night in hotel which was non refundable. Second flight delayed by 2 hours and had to rebook for final leg. Terrible customer service. I am emerald in One World and will never fly them again. Avianca-Taca is a better option for Latin America.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by John Geoffrey Pierson    (USA)

Flew in economy from Santiago (Chile) to Punta Arenas on Jan 28 2015, and from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires on Feb 4 2015, and from Mendoza (Argentina) to Santiago and from Santiago to Montevideo (Uruguay) on Feb 8 2015. A very consistent product. Always honored my AA Platinum status with early boarding and marked our luggage for special handling. All flights on time, seat pitch varied on their 320's from generous to cramped. Snack and drinks always served. Staff friendly and helpful, available throughout boarding to assist and throughout the flights. Even offered headsets for the flights longer than two hours and had adequate programming. Very impressed.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2015 by Ricardo Palma    (Peru)

Service on this airline is of the poorest quality, not up to international standards. My family and I were flying from Peru to the US. We purchased American Airlines tickets, but the flight was operated by LAN - apparently, LAN and American have a going partnership. I am a frequent AA flyer, and thus enjoy their Advantage priority check in. When checking through LAN's priority queue, which BTW was empty, I was informed that they could only check me in, but not my wife and daughters - LAN wanted to split the family. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I only received very rude treatment. This has never happened to me before while flying with other major airlines. So I guess the moral of this story is if you're an AA frequent flyer, and expect to be treated as such, avoid LAN at all costs.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Klaus Malling    (Denmark)

FRA-GRU and GRU-LHR. Flight departed on time. Nowadays there is not much differences between the main airlines, and LAN offered what is expected in Economy Class: Two full meals (somewhat more basic than on main European carriers, but portions a little larger), good IFE system and professional service from the staff - less personal but on European carriers, but nothing to complain about. Main complain was the hard, narrow seats on Boeing 777-300ER, as in other carriers using the 3x4x4 option seats are much less comfortable than formerly and make long-distant flights something of a challenge, but TAM is not alone here.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by LeRoy DuBois    (USA)

Jan 9 2015, flight #530. My flight between Santiago and Lima was excellent. The plane, a Boeing 787, was spacious and new, and flight attendants were the best I've seen. They were extremely accommodating, respectful and sharp. I will recommend LAN.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by S Jenkins    (UK)

We flew to Sao Paulo from Heathrow and then onto Buenos Aires with LAN/TAM in Nov. Good flight and impressed with the amount of legroom in economy and reasonable film choices - neither myself nor my husband can sleep on planes - so that is important. Unfortunately when we returned from Santiago to Madrid we were on an Iberia flight. Again, good legroom, but horror of horrors no individual screens! The flight was interminable - 3 very poor films were shown back to back and so for more than six hours there was not even any flight information available. Would not want to travel with this airline again because of the links with this airline - which is a shame as the seats were far more comfortable than BA. Didn't feel that the cabin staff were particularly attentive - soft drinks had to be requested rather than being offered through the night on the return journey.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by A Hinze    (Germany)

FRA-MAD-SCL: cabin and seats looked like new. The comfortable seats could be folded flat and we slept very well. The meals and beverages were well above our expectations as the service was.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by S Maitra    (UK)

Flew LAN from Santiago to Atacama and then to Easter Island. New plans on all the Chile flights and flew a 767 to Easter Island. Excellent service, good food and IFE on a 2-hour flight! Particularly impressed with the Easter Island Service. I wish BA would learn from them. Not so impressed with LAN Argentina - older planes, not so punctual and chaos at check-in (Buenos Aires to El Calafate). But no real issues and would recommend anyone holidaying in South America to fly them.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by Andres Vargas    (Colombia)

BOG - SMR. LAN needs to invest on their entertainment, which is really outdated. The space between seats was very tight, only a few centimetres between each other. The good things were the food and beverages onboard, the staff were very nice and courteous.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by Mark Russell    (Australia)

Flew Premium Business SYD-SCL on LA 800 in the A340, Seat 1A. I have flown this route over 20 times in the past 10 years. Fast efficient check in, able to relax in Qantas Lounge in Sydney before flight. Slept most of the way to NZ. However, flight crew were cheerful and helpful. Auckland to Santiago was an extremely pleasant flight. Meal quality and choices were excellent, could have gone back for seconds, thirds of the smoked salmon with mango salsa for entree. This was followed by a lovely lamb rack with sweet potato mash, all washed down with a fine selection of Chilean wines. Seat coverts into a lie flat bed offering a comfortable sleep, of which I got 7 hours. Cannot comment on the IFE as I did not use. Flight arrived 40 minutes early. Overall, again an excellent experience with LAN - highly recommended. Cannot wait for the B787 Dreamliner to commence operating on this route from April 2015.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by Roger Stone    (Australia)

SCL-MVD-SCL booked in premium economy but happily placed in the business cabin of their A320s that are used on these sectors, perhaps because of my Oneworld status. LAN provided a good on-time service complete with some basic but tasty meals and wine. Emerald status, which meant straightforward access to their business lounges in both Santiago and Montevideo and use of wifi, etc. My only complaint was that, as I'm not much good with Spanish, it was occasionally difficult to follow what the flight attendants were asking. As they are part of Oneworld, they will be getting more and more non-local speakers on board so they should focus on language skills, even on regional and local routes. Otherwise, quite a good experience.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  18 December 2014 by C Abelson    (USA)

In November, we embarked on a 3 week trip to Chile and Easter Island. I was quite excited that the most significant legs of our trips (NY-Santiago and return) would be flown on the Boeing 787. It turned out to be about the most uncomfortable that I have ever had on an airline. The seat configuration was 3-3-3 and the seats were very narrow and cramped. I am not a large person and it was impossible to sleep due to the closeness of the seats. The food on the flight down was basically inedible, a pasty gummy pasta with a flavorless sauce. On the return flight, as breakfast was served a couple hours before arriving in NY, they had run out of breakfast omelettes by the time that they had reached our seats (and we were only in the middle of the main cabin.) We passed on the ham and cheese sandwich which was the only thing available. Domestic flights from Santiago to Punta Arenas, Calama and Easter Island were no better. All very cramped and on the return flight from Easter Island, two of the four lavatories in coach were not functioning and could not be used. The only redeeming aspect of the flights is that they provide free headsets on every flight. I know that when flying to South America, there are not a lot of choices, but I will attempt to avoid LAN if at all possible on my next visit there. It is a terrible airline to fly in coach.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  18 December 2014 by Brett Moore    (Australia)

My partner and I travelled with LAN from Australia to South America return, and internally within South America on a LAN pass. I was so pleasantly surprised by the level of service and friendliness of the cabin crew. I had read, prior to our trip, mixed reviews so was somewhat apprehensive when it came time to travel. Past reviews couldn't have been more far of the mark! The cabin crew were really friendly. My partner is a very nervous flyer and on every leg we flew with them the cabin crew kept checking in on him to make sure he was okay. On our way home, flying into Auckland, we were told there was bad weather and one lovely cabin crew member even offered to sit by him as we landed. The food was nice and not too heavy, and on the long haul sectors cabin crew were frequently up and down the aisle with drinks. The inflight entertainment system was fantastic and I would put it on par with Emirates ICE system! Any negatives? The only thing I could say is that the seats were a little uncomfortable, but then being over 6 ft I get the same problem with other airlines. On the whole a most enjoyable experience.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  4 December 2014 by Michael Little    (Australia)

Iguazu-Buenos Aires in an A320 operated by LAN Argentina. Quick and efficient check-in. The seat had a lot of legroom and was quite comfortable. A small snack of biscuits and a drink was served (the service was a little brusque). The plane operated right on time and baggage came to the carousel quite quickly.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  4 December 2014 by S Biggemann    (New Zealand)

LA800 to Santiago was cancelled and passengers waiting in Auckland were requested to return to the airport on Sunday. At the hotel received at least five different notices on departure time that ranged from early morning on Sunday to late evening, in random order. After more than five hours given boarding passes to Santiago despite the fact that tickets were to La Paz and told them that that was all they could do and that someone in Santiago was taking care of the following flights - a lie. At Santiago, regrettably, things were not any better. Given boarding passes to Lima, still not La Paz, on a plane departing from Santiago at 10pm, which meant another eight hours wait, however it would not have been the main problem, which was arriving into Lima too late to catch the flight to La Paz and needing to wait at the airport for the next flight in the morning - this was not explained and no guidanc on sleeping or hotels. Eventually, they managed to find space on the earlier flight at 8.00pm, which made possible for them to connect to La Paz the same day, landed on Monday at 5.30 am - suitcases of course didn't. In the last six trips a member of my family flew LAN four times and the flight was either cancelled or delayed. The lack of competition means that no matter how badly passengers are treated LAN feels customers will not walk away.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by Michael Little    (Australia)

Sydney-Santiago and back from Buenos Aires via Santiago. Overall very pleasant flights, particularly due to the friendly efficiency of the crews. Good food and drink and efficient service. On the transpacific routes the A340 has two business class cabins. The rear one (rows 6 and 7) is very cold and apparently the temperature cannot be adjusted, so avoid these rows if you can. They are obviously aware of this problem, because on both journeys the crew moved all passengers (including us) out of rows 6 and 7 into the forward cabin (rows 1 to 5), where we were much more comfortable. However, we were in rows 6 and 7 for the short legs from Sydney to Auckland and vice versa, where we had to use blankets over our shoulders to keep warm. We greatly enjoyed our flight in the LAN Dreamliner from Buenos Aires to Santiago. It's a much more comfortable plane than the A340. The lounge in Santiago is quite basic. It's narrow and in a basement, but offers some chance to relax. The lounges in Buenos Aires and Auckland (Qantas lounge) are far superior.

Santiago-Lima in Premium Economy, then two internal flights in Peru and Lima-Havana, all in Economy. All flights operated on time, and the service was friendly and efficient. Pleasant meals and snacks were served. The plane on our first sector was a bit old and tatty inside, the others were all fine though the seat on the 5-hr sector from Lima to Havana was rather tight for such a long sector. Check-in, boarding and luggage delivery were all efficient, and all flights arrived on time or early. The Premium Economy seats are Economy seats with the middle seat left empty. A Business Class meal was served on our international Premium Economy sector. One sour note was the way the entire crew (including the captain and first officer) pushed past their passengers in Havana to get to the front of the immigration queue. Not a good look.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by S Flint    (UK)

Santiago-Punta Arenas-Mount Pleasant (Falklands). On time and managed to get comfortable exit row seat. Typical LAN efficiency but the food service is inadequate for what is in total a 6 hour journey on a domestic A320. Just a choice of 'nibbles' on the 3.5 hrs down to Punta Arenas and the same on the 1.5 hours to MPA. Quite interesting landing at MPA, which is a UK military base.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  17 November 2014 by Juan Pablo Reyes    (Colombia)

SMR-BOG late evening flight, coach (they no offer business in Colombian domestic flights), on time departure, fairly comfortable seating in a rather old A320. Good beverage and snack service, at least better than Avianca's. Quick baggage retrieval upon arrival in BOG new domestic terminal, which offered a nice experience given the day (Sunday) and arrival (8pm) time. Overall a nice flight.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  11 November 2014 by J Budd    (Australia)

We travelled from Melbourne to Rio De Janeiro, within Brazil, Argentina and back to Melbourne via Santiago. 6th October-29th October with a total of 12 flights. There was a problem in Buenos Aires which meant we missed our connecting flight home from Santiago. We were tired and unwell. We were so grateful for the excellent assistance and kindness we received from airline staff in Santiago.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by W Small    (Australia)

I have just returned from a 3 month journey through South America. Initially, on the 29th July, I flew Emirates BNE-AKL (food very disappointing, dirty cabin, cabin crew uninterested in their clients although in abundance) then LAN-AKL-SCL. I had a degree of trepidation in relation to flying LAN after reading some negative reviews. Flight across was fine. Comments in relation to food, seating, decor and cabin crew appeared consistent with what I have read. However, having flown with LAN on 12 internal flights whilst in South America, my respect for LAN's efficiency, great timekeeping, friendliness of both ground and cabin staff, excellent facilities has increased. The flight SCL-SYD on the 16th October was great. Food, service and cabin staff were all very good. The new crew on the AKL-SYD leg was by far the warmest I had encountered in terms of hospitality and service level. I am planning a return trip to South America, and I would have no hesitation in recommending this airline.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by W Small    (Australia)

I travelled to 5 countries in South America during July and October. Whilst travelling, I flew LAN on 13 occasions: SCL-LIM-CUZ, JUL-LIM, LIM-SCL, AEP-IGR (return), MVD-SCL, SCL-IPL (return), SCL-LIM-LPB, LPB-SCL. Throughout all flights I was greatly impressed by the efficiency of LAN. Ground and cabin crews were friendly and helpful. The LAN boxed meals on (one class) short flights was consistent. Cabin crew warm and welcoming. Trolley service by cabin crew was excellent despite the fact that the majority of flights were fully booked. The one sour point was that the inflight entertainment (IPL-SCL) failed in my section of the aircraft. However, having had a tsunami alert whilst on Easter Island in the early hours of my departure day, I relished the chance for a sleep. This flight is treated as an international flight. Hence, a pillow and blanket was provided. Notwithstanding this fact, I would have no trouble in recommending LAN.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by D Graubard    (USA)

LA 2589, UIO-LIM on 12 October. A320 and very good flight. Boarding was a bit of a mess but that seems typical. Flight attendants so friendly and spoke many languages. Seated in exit row so lots of leg room. Flight was smooth and nice views of the Andes - snack box provided and landed on time. Always enjoy flying with LAN.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  23 October 2014 by Balu Kal    (New Zealand)

LA801, AKL-SYD. 2 Oct 2014, 06.00 Flight time. Just a short flight to Sydney traveling on A340-300 LAN Chile. This is my second flight with LAN. It was an ok flight. Nothing to rave about. The interior was dated, inflight entertainment was also very dated. The food was average, and only offered refreshments once. It got me to Sydney on time, so I was happy.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by D Mauro    (USA)

JFK-LIM-JFK in economy. I was very impressed with the in-flight service, but I still had a rather negative experience with this airline. I was booked on their direct flight from NY to Lima. On the day of my flight, I was shocked when I discovered that there was a 12 hour delay! After spending hours on the phone, I was finally re- routed via Miami and ended up rushing out the door to catch this new flight. I was lucky to end up making it to Lima on time. It's a shame that I spent extra money to have the direct flight, but ended up having to make a stressful connection (with a very long layover). Inflight service was excellent and two hot meals were provided, but I can't say that I would call LAN reliable.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Brown Katrina    (New Zealand)

Flights 801 and 800 return Auckland to Sydney. Definitely value for money, did not expect something to eat on an economy flight. Pleasant staff and will definitely be travelling with LAN again.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  27 August 2014 by V Carl    (Germany)

SCL-LSC, short hop to La Serena, very friendly and polite crew. Seat pitch ridiculous, luckily just an hour flight! I usually never have problems with pitch, but cramped 174 (non slim) seats in a A320? That's almost what you would get on a low cost carrier. Otherwise seamless flight. The ground staff lacks knowledge of English and could have a bit more of a service attitude! Cabin crew excellent though!

LAN Airlines Customer review :  19 August 2014 by J Black    (Australia)

I don't normally write reviews but after several flights with LAN and the continued problems with special meals it is becoming a persistent problem. Every time I fly I specifically request vegetarian meals when I book a flight. When I had 3 connecting flights from Chile to New York, the first 2 flights I was provided with a vegetarian meal however the third and also the longest flight for some reason I was not provided with a vegetarian meal. On my last flight from Chile to Australia, my flight was changed by LAN a month prior to the date. Whilst on the phone with a LAN representative I requested a vegetarian meal again to make sure after the last flight I would not have a reoccurring problem. It was assured to me that the meal was requested. The day of the flight I rang LAN to make sure that I had a vegetarian meal, unfortunately however in the system it appeared that I had not requested it. The frustrating thing was I requested the meal over a month ago when they called to change my flight. Normally in situations like this I would not bother me to much but on long 14 hour flights with not provided meal it is a real inconvenience.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by M Haugh    (UK)

Two internal flights while on holiday in Peru, Lima to Cusco and then Arequipa to Lima, both left on time, very comfortable flights. Service was very good from the cabin crew. All in all a pleasant way to travel around Peru at a reasonable cost.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Roberts Bernie    (Australia)

I would never recommend LAN Airlines to anyone contemplating using them, I was due to fly from Sydney on 7th June to Rio with them, they changed the flight departure with less than 24 hrs notice, I was due to arrive in Rio on Saturday 8th June at 9 pm but instead arrived on Sunday at 8pm, my luggage arrived the following day! Terrible service on the flight from Sydney to Auckland, the food was cold and inedible, cabin service was slow and poor, also I asked for a gin and tonic and received the reply "we don't have any gin". Am dreading having to fly back to Sydney with them in a weeks time.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  9 August 2014 by Jenny Bentley    (UK)

We have booked to fly from London to South America return and LAN has issued the tickets. We upgraded to business class but on one of the 4 sectors we cannot choose our seats - totally unacceptable when paying for a business class ticket. None of the flights are actually operated by LAN though all the flights have a LAN codeshare. LAN customer service is completely useless when it comes to resolving this issue. LAN have good prices but it seems the downside is poor customer service.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  23 July 2014 by Catherine Hugo    (New Zealand)

Mayhem on flights from Auckland to Sydney! Was scheduled to fly from Auckland to Sydney (with ongoing flights to South Africa) at the end of May 2014. The flight came in from Santiago. Our first inklings that something was wrong was when the flight did not start boarding on time. They only announced about half an hour after the flight was meant to take off that there was something wrong with the plane which meant that the flight was delayed for about 3 hours. The communication from the ground staff was almost non-existent. They merely told us our flight was delayed and made little to no effort to keep us updated or get those of us on ongoing international flights on re- routed flights. The counter staff, albeit very stressed understandably, were not very helpful. We were given some coupons for food, but it honestly took around 2 hours standing in the queue even to get a coupon for a coffee because the counters had one or two staff for a line of around 200 passengers. I had to beg at the counter to try to get a re-routed flight through Hong Kong - a suggestion I had to make! After finally getting re-routed, LAN refused to release my baggage to my new carrier (Cathay Pacific) even though the aircraft had been sitting on the tarmac for about 7 hours by the time my new flight departed - a fact that seemed completely unacceptable to Cathay Pacific who tried very hard to get our bags on the new flight and said they had repeatedly asked LAN to release the bags to them. I eventually arrived in South Africa, a full 14 hours later than I should have, but thankful to be there at all. In talking to some of the other carrier staff on the ground in Auckland before I left (and after I returned) this was not a once-off occurrence and LAN is regularly delayed in Auckland.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2014 by Lam Kok Wai    (Singapore)

We took LAN from Sao Paulo to Lima, from Lima to Cuzco (return) as well as from Lima to Iguazu Brazil. All four segments were good and on time. Food and drinks served were ok. Staff were friendly and cheerful. Typical south American hospitality. If you are flying LAN as a foreigner, once you buy more than 3 segments online, you are automatically put on LANPASS and enjoy substantial savings compared to flying just one route or two. Only buy tickets using the South American pass if you want the change of date/time flexibility as the cost will be substantially higher for such flexibility. I bought the tickets through the USA website, and they allowed me to cancel FOC within 24 hours, I lost only the currency conversion as well as processing fee. Planes are normally quite full. Ask for window seats if you want to see Lake Titicaca on daylight flights.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2014 by Anthony Gibbons    (New Zealand)

Flew LAN on a QANTAS /TAM ticket from Auckland to Rio return, connecting through Santiago (16 May, return last Sunday 8 June). LAN seem to have major operational issues with their A343 flights to and from Oceania. Being kind one could say they are erring on the side of caution but significant punctuality issues where flights are frequently either delayed or cancelled does not inspire confidence (retrospectively checked flightaware.com to verify my suspicions). LAN800 delayed ex Auckland by over 1 hour, which proved QFs text message received the night before to be correct. Contacted QF on receipt regarding my 1h20 min connection as was travelling on to Europe from Rio same day. Told to contact LAN directly. Did so and LAN adamant that no problem with connecting as flight on time. Phooey! Encountered same circus at Santiago on arrival from Rio enroute home. Went to allocated gate to snare some snooze time for the 4 hours transit only to wake up to 2 gate changes (from gate 11 to 14 then finally 17B), one flight status of 'cancellado' and one of 'atrasado' (delayed). All for the same LAN801. Amazing. Flight eventually left some hours after scheduled 2320h take off as a replacement crew then needed to be called up. Insult to injury was the dinner served around 4-5am. Food masquerading as beef is not worth being kept awake for. Real shame as inflight, the crew are pretty charming and attentive. I would expect these shenanigans from AR with whom I've previously travelled to Argentina. Had hoped LAN would be superior. On the positive side, the flights between Santiago and Rio were pleasant. Just wish there was a reliable alternative or LAN just got its act together.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2014 by Harold Bush    (UK)

Bogota to Santiago in Business Premium. Some of the most friendly flight attendants I have come across. I think they were Bogota-based at this flight was operated by LAN Colombia. The flight departed at midnight and arrived in Santiago at 6.30am next day, so food option was a quiche for dinner and a muffin for breakfast. I personally expected something better and I did not eat anything in LAN's beautiful lounge at Bogota's airport before boarding. Most people went straight to bed after taking off. One would have to be extremely tired and sleepy to be able to sleep. The seats are extremely uncomfortable. They are very hard and narrow and there is not space to store anything, apart from in the literature pocket in front. Do not leave stuff on your side as they will be swallowed by the seat when it is put in the bed position. The wonderful crew took ages to retrieve my glasses that simply disappeared.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  9 June 2014 by David Jordan    (Chile)

I've had good and bad experiences with LAN over the years but recently found they have very much improved their customer service. I was on LA801, SCL-AKl on 5 June which first was delayed and then cancelled. At all times we were kept informed and once they announced the cancellation, we were taken to one of various very good hotels for the night. The next day, a LAN representative came to the hotel around lunchtime to update us and announced that the flight would finally be leaving 23 hours after the original planned departure time. We were well looked after up to boarding time. I also found that the cabin crew spoke much better English than in the past, and were very attentive. I was in economy, but as on other trips, I found their meals to be excellent. All in all, a much improved airline.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  30 May 2014 by Dylan Gan    (Malaysia)

Lima-Sao Paulo. Poor Premium economy service, no meal provided. I had to request a glass of orange juice personally when I saw the cabin crew. Starving on the 5 hours flight, crew with no smiles at all. No choice to fly with them as the only airline in South American that covers most destination.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  29 May 2014 by S Adlam    (USA)

AKL-SYD. Business. The worst service ever. LAN called the evening before to inform me of three hour delay which I explained was problematic due to a two hour connection in SYD. Reservation staff assured me they would put me on another flight back to LAX in the morning at airport when I checked in. That was a complete ill truth as check- in was handled by Air NZ whom did nothing and quite rude. Was then booked on Qantas which was fantastic whom made sure I made my connection. Would never fly LAN.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  28 May 2014 by J Bacallado    (Spain)

Buenos Aires - Santiago de Chile - Montevideo. All sectors on time. Check in usually fast and easy. The boarding is ok, by rows or priority if you have it. Once on board nice FA. Seat pitch ok for economy, small TV's around the cabin in economy, headsets given, few comedies shown. A sandwich and a chocolate, drinks offered. Arrival on time, bag short on belts. Recommend LAN.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  24 May 2014 by N Francis    (UK)

BOG-CTG Quick hop between Bogota and Cartagena one way for about 60. There's always a slight issue when flying internally from the capital's airport as neither airline or airport websites, taxi drivers nor some employees seem to have consensus on which terminal anyone flies from. The issue with this is that the old terminal has no physical connection to the new so transit between is a bit of a bother. Thankfully, all LAN flights currently go from the new El Dorado terminal which is clean and modern. Even though it wasn't that busy, it still seemed to take around 45 minutes to get to a check in desk - large numbers of employees chatting rather than working seemed to be the problem. Once checked in, quickly through to domestic departures which has a few bars and shops. Warm welcome onboard a brand new A320. Very comfy seats with decent legroom. Minor altercation as we approached the runway as a gentleman behind me had brought a chicken onboard with him, unnoticed by the crew - or indeed by any security personnel on the ground. Incredulously, the captain elected to take off anyway. Smooth flight, with complimentary tea, coffee and juice, as well as a small snack box of chips and cookies - nicely presented and perfectly adequate for the 60min flight. Landed on time, and bags off swiftly. Good flight only slightly marred by inefficient ground staff and live animal policy!

LAN Airlines Customer review :  18 May 2014 by J Orr    (USA)

The flight was LAX to Lima to Cusco, great seats, new plane. Free entertainment in back of seat. Two meals and snack on short Lima to Cusco flight. US airlines too stingy to go old school. Uber friendly flight attendants. Only weird thing is 10lb limit on carry on. When checking in bag, I also had a normal rolling carry on and a small purse. The rolling back weighed 12 lbs and my purse 3.5? They made me rearrange my carry ons so the rolling bag was not over 10lbs. You know once I walked into airport, I changed it right back. Flight from Lima to Peru didn't even ask to weigh and it was much smaller plane. They also do not accept TSA pre check at Bradley terminal LAX, very disappointing.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2014 by R Faulkner    (USA)

The reservation system and agents is not good. I had to make a couple changes to a business class flight to and from the US to South America. It was a nightmare. Communication in English was difficult and the changes took forever. On the return I simply inquired about changing my departure time. The agent misunderstood and released my seat. I had to take a different flight and was charges the fare difference! In flight personnel were good though but watch out if you have to make changes.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  8 May 2014 by T Holz    (Australia)

Recent flight from Sydney to Santiago (LAN800) and then Santiago to Buenos Aries (LA445) was excellent. Flights on time, transitions were seamless with luggage arriving in Buenos Aries. Staff were friendly, aircraft was clean with plenty of legroom and the in-flight food was very good. I had my doubts about flying LAN Airlines but after this experience I was very impressed.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by F Manning    (Sweden)

SCL-MAD. New aircraft, friendly staff and varied inflight entertainment. This is my preferred airline for this route.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2014 by Ates Asli    (Spain)

I flew from Frankfurt to Madrid. Seats were comfortable, the plane had an entertainment system and cabin crew were good. But the food was awful. I was hungry and they served a sandwich box, but they didn't have a vegetarian option. Even the low cost airlines offer vegetarian, vegan etc. I was starving when we landed.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by A Storey    (USA)

BOG-GRU. Daylight flight on 767. Full plane but crew did an excellent job serving everyone. Good lunch and drinks. Excellent movies to choose from. Seating was comfortable. Good lounge in Bogota at new terminal.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by R Brydon    (Australia)

I arrived in Santiago yesterday, from Sydney and Auckland, only to find my connection flight to Sao Paulo had departed. After a very long time at the LAN desk in Santiago I was put on a flight to Buenos Aires, to connect to Sao Paulo. Unfortunately the girl at the LAN Santiago desk did not book me on the flight she told me I was booked onto. The flight was full and I found out about this when I got to Buenos Aires. They managed to find me a seat on a packed, dirty TAM plane in Economy class. My ticket was for Business class. My flight originated in Melbourne, I'm an old Qantas frequent flyer customer and I was extremely disappointed with the service. To top it all up, my 2 suitcases did not arrive. The LAN on-board service and flight attendants were extremely good, but the ground staff were very poorly equipped to deal with arriving passengers. Chaotic would be a better description for the situation!

LAN Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2014 by D Norton    (UK)

Bogota to Quito via Medellin. Flight on time and full. Only coffee or water on internal flights offered and no sense of urgency considering flight time. Other airlines manage to serve food and full bar service on such a flight sector. Transfer in Medellin not recognised, had to exit and go through the tedious security before sent back to check in since no hand luggage tag given since previous check in at Bogota! No lounge facilities at both airports even though to Quito it was international. Process in Medellin unacceptable. Service inflight to Quito with limited drinks and no alcohol, food or even snack offered. When asked to have a beer was told they would check in the back but the crew never returned. No food at all during the 90 minute flight and in the end no drink! The crew were more interested passing through the cabin announcing duty free sales and shopping. Ghost pilots with no announcements and could hardly understand the English from the crew! In my humble opinion a terrible airline lacking service and consistency. This taking into consideration the relatively expensive ticket for such a short journey with lack of service, despite being a Oneworld Emerald member.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by P Seel    (France)

LA2707, Madrid-Lima, March 10 2014. LA531, Lima-Santiago, March 13 2014. LA4544, Buenos Aires-Sao Paolo. Business Class except Buenos Aires-Sao Paolo which was Premium Economy. We first flew LAN 3 years ago, were very satisfied then and it didn't disappoint this time. Would have preferred completely lie-flat beds though like we had Madrid- Santiago in 2011. Food excellent, well-chosen wines and very cheerful and attentive cabin staff. We also used LAN for 3 internal flights in economy and had no complaints there either. The flight from El Calafate to Buenos Aires was two hours late but our agent was informed and departure from our hotel delayed so we weren't hanging around at the airport. Special mention for Lima Business Class lounge - a smoker's paradise! Open to the air so no tobacco smell and comfortably furnished. My non-smoking companion preferred to sit there with me than to use the air- conditioned non-smoking section and it looked as though quite a few other non-smokers were of the same mind too!

LAN Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2014 by D Graubard    (USA)

LAN 933/500 - Mendoza to SCL to Miami. Coach to SCL and Business to MIA. A320 out of Mendoza departed on time and was a quick 40 minute flight. Beautiful flight over the Andes mountains - the pilot came on to point out a few mountain tops in Spanish and English. Not even a drink service - I've been on other 40 min flights that at least had water offered. But good flight overall. 767-300 from SCL to MIA - excellent! Purser came to my seat and thanked me personally for being Emerald One World - very nice. Food as always on LAN is great - had an express dinner and then slept 5.5 hours on one of the best Biz Class seats in the air. Arrived on time and bags out and through immigration/customs in 30 minutes after deplaning.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2014 by D Graubard    (USA)

Flew BA Aeroparque to Mendoza on 9 April. A320 was to leave at 5.50pm but delay of inbound flight. Not an issue but the gate agents never made any announcement about a delay. Line forming so I went to ask and she said leaving at 5.55pm. We didn't even board until 6.15pm through buses - agent had said we would board through a jet bridge but anyone who has flown LA from AEP knows Aerolineas Argentinas uses the jet bridges and makes LA use stairs on the Tarmac to board. Bussed to aircraft - friendly attendant greeted passengers at both front and rear doors. Pilot apologized for the delay. Quick take off and 1 hour 40 minutes to Mendoza. Snack box was appreciated but mostly sugary cookies - not healthy at all. Flight landed and bags off quick. LAN is a good airline but sometimes leaves little things to be desired. Flying them 12 April Mendoza - Santiago-Miami so will see how that goes.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  10 April 2014 by Alvaro Orrantia    (Canada)

I was flying from Buenos Aires to San Carlos de Barioche on March 28 and LAN announced an 'unanticipated' maintenance work on the plane. This caused a delay of about 90 minutes, leaving close to 10pm. There were no vouchers for a snack and ground personnel didn't even know how to use a pay phone to call someone who was going to pick me up. On my way home, flying from Buenos Aires to Sao Paulo, on April 9, LAN again has an 'unanticipated' maintenance work on the plane.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by A Greenberg    (USA)

Flight was scheduled to leave at 12.40pm from LIM and go to LAX. At about noon it was announced that the flight was delayed due to technical issues, and to return at 2.00pm. At 2.00pm it was announced the issues were not resolved, and to come back at 4.00pm. At 4.00pm it was announced that the flight was delayed until 7.00am the next day. Passengers passports were collected to get the exit stamp revoked, when passports were handed back 2 hours later, it was done in a nerve wrecking fashion. I asked one of the staff if there was another flight that night to Southern California, he said no. Later I see someone getting onto standby, and I learn there was another flight that night. I waited on standby and did not get a spot. I took the appointed taxi to the hotel I was given to stay at. At the airport I get my new boarding pass. I get to the boarding gate, and learned that the flight is delayed again. Throughout the whole process, staff would make important announcements only in Spanish. I would ask for a translation, and some of the staff were unable to give it. Hours later the flight finally got off the ground. A delayed flight is forgivable, but the way the ordeal was handle was unacceptable.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by R Wilking    (Germany)

Mendoza-SCL to Madrid in economy. Ground Crew in MDZ gave me an aisle seat (36H) for the long haul trip SCL-MAD, I cross-checked in SCL on arriving, everything ok. At boarding, I was given a window seat in another row, ground crew unhelpful and incompetent. They said that the flight crew was to give me another seat. Onboard, I contacted the purser. She managed the problem in a completely efficient and graceful way, contacting me several times during the flight, even offering a drink to me and the people who had to go back to their original middle and window seat, thus sharing space with me: very professional service. Rest of the crew very polite, helpful, speaking several languages. A very pleasant experience for a flight in economy, very recommendable. Good food (even breakfast, which can be a big problem with other airlines) good drinks, excellent IFE in a new 787. Seats ok, I am 1.75m and not very broad. It seems the seats are narrower than on other planes, I managed to get some sleep anyway. Anyway, you should not store anything in the seat pocket before you, space gets cramped and you feel something like a steel rod on your knees.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2014 by Eelco van den Heuvel    (Netherlands)

MAD-FRA. Excellent business class offer: 225 euros ow, only 100 euros more expensive than economy. Very relaxing flight, which started in the nice, well equipped Iberia lounge in T4S at Madrid Airport. I was about the only one in biz. Comfortable seat, nice inflight entertainment, tasty meal and friendly crew. The purser introducing herself was a nice personal touch. 787 Dreamliner is a great, silent plane and I like the coloring of the windows instead of blinds. Price was less than one third of Lufthansa and Iberia fare. And with a real business class in stead of a free middle seat. Highly recommended.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  26 March 2014 by Jordan Charles    (Argentina)

EZE-SCL-EZE in premium economy. Staff at check in very efficient. On board, excellent service for the two hour flight. Good cold food and selection of wines, soft drinks, etc. Both flights on time and luggage delivery very fast. IFE several channels of good music.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2014 by Steve Tait    (USA)

Flew LAN on 4 flights around Peru. The flights themselves were fine. Clean planes, good crews, and largely on time. It's their systems that are a big problem starting with the fact you can't reserve seats in advance until check-in is available 48 hours prior to departure. I find that problematic and then tried unsuccessfully to get seats and check in online 48 hours prior to the flight only to get a message saying I had multiple destinations and needed to call them. Not acceptable nowadays. One of my flights had a time change of an hour and I was never notified and only found out when I got to the airport. Finally one of my segments was from Iquitos connecting in Lima and then on to Cuzco. My bag was the only one on the flight to Cuzco that did not arrive. OK that happens but they handled it horribly. They really need to get their systems and customer service up to current standards particularly as you pay a premium on LAN over the other domestic Peruvian carriers.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  10 March 2014 by J Ackermann    (Germany)

EZE-SCL. Transferring to LAN from Lufthansa in EZE. Although not in the same alliance, LAN representative awaited transferring LH passengers at LH gate upon arrival, checking that their transfer baggage number were in LAN's system, providing them with boarding passes or escorting them through security to LAN counter. Very professional! LAN lounge in EZE one of the best I ever encountered. Even dulce de leche ice cream was offered. Flight on A 320 was uneventful. Aircraft in good shape, decent snack and drinks. Even some IFE (in Spanish). Baggage delivery very fast. Baggage question in preparation of trip was answered via Facebook fast and correctly. Would recommend without hesitation.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2014 by J Bosch    (USA)

Compared to some airlines, LAN had a decent amount of legroom, and the international food and beverage options were decent. However, LAN is terrible when it comes to customer service if anything goes wrong. We were at our gate two hours early and followed the signage since we didn't speak the local language. The signage was all wrong, and our flight left without us. We were literally standing under a video screen with our flight information that said pre-boarding and that the fight was delayed, and it turns out the flight left from a different line somewhere. Ok, so is there another flight we can get to the destination from anyone at this airport? No, they said. Only a flight at the same time the next day, which would have defeated the purpose of our trip. We investigated ourselves and found out they just pulled that out of nowhere because there were several other flights from other airlines that day. So we booked one of those flights and made arrangements with LAN to pick up our luggage when we got there, since it was on the missed flight. They said they had called and arranged for our luggage to be taken to the luggage office and to pick it up when we got there. When we got there, LAN had gone home for the day and locked our bags away. No bag for us until the next day. Never again will I fly LAN airlines. Absolutely unacceptable customer service.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2014 by C Douglas    (Australia)

My experience with LAN was excellent. I used these forums extensively before booking for a return trip Australia to Sth America, so I'm writing to give some balance to the negative reviews. I travelled with an 88 yr old relative who went Business Class and I went Economy. Only one of our 6 flights was delayed and only by 35 mins. This caused a missed connecting flight which was sorted out seamlessly, baggage transferred, all good. LAN made sure I could be close to my relative by putting me at the very front of Economy each time. I was also allowed to use their lounges as I was flying with someone in Business Class. The only lounge which wouldn't let me in was a Qantas one in Sydney at the start of the journey, even though my relative had a guest pass for me and I'm a Qantas FF. They apparently share the same One World system as LAN. Cabin crew were great, seats were good, food fine, selection of films huge - cost way less than Qantas, halfway between the Qantas price and the Aerolineas Argentinas price. Glad we went LAN, I recommend it.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  27 February 2014 by Vivek Gupta    (USA)

Very disappointing experience flying LAN last night - essentially harassed by an incompetent and poorly informed check-in crew at AEP in Buenos Aires. Flew LAN 480 last night from AEP to Santiago - check-in crew insisted that Chile reciprocity fee needed to be paid before they will check us in - ran around the airport for an hour to figure how/where to pay, could not find any I online location, embassy website said pay on arrival in SCL - but 4 ladies at the check-in desk refused to accept, and kept insisting for payment before check-in. Asked to see supervisor and was told supervisor was in meeting and would be available only after flight departure time. Finally rep from Salon VIP came to the rescue and convinced the crew to get approval and check us in. The actual flight was ok. Landed in SCL to find that Chile does not collect reciprocity fee anymore! Highly unlikely to fly or recommend this airline in the future. Very disappointing.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  21 February 2014 by S Summers    (UK)

Salta-AEP on LAN Argentina. Flight departure delayed by an hour due to weather in Buenos Aires. Warm welcome on board, drinks and a small snack box containing chocolate and biscuits was provided although a fresh sandwich/wrap would have been preferable.

LAN Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2014 by J Bibby    (UK)

Flew from Sao Paulo to Santiago de Chile and then, five days later from Santiago to La Paz, Bolivia via Iquique. Excellent service, efficient and friendly cabin crew, good food, comfortable seats. Excellent!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8