Ethiopian Airlines Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by Loganathan Deb (Australia)

Melbourne - Addis Ababa. Friendly, comfortable, polite attentive staff. Good food, plenty of leg room. Was very pleasantly surprised by the high quality. would definitely use again.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by Gillespie John (USA)

Eighth round trip with Ethiopian (EAL). The good - the B787 service from IAD-ADD-JUB in a mere 19 hours which is blazing fast. The con's - one flight cancelled outright without notice which added 6 hours to my trip. Another flight on the 13NOV14 trip suffered a weather delay of 90 minutes at IAD due to fog in the morning. The result was a 09:04 arrival in Addis for a 09.50 flight to Juba which was still on the ground. Five of us needed to make that connection and expressed this to the staff but the did not prioritize our exit from the aircraft. We approached four different airport employees and were met with varying degrees of indifference and inaction. Finally arriving at Terminal 1 (for regional flights) the aircraft that had been there had left. No flights for Juba were listed either as boarding or for the rest of the day. No gate agent here and security agents and lounge staff directed us to Immigration to locate one. Got back to Terminal 2 and onto a flight to Entebbe and a connection there to Juba. In the end not only I but my checked bag made it to Juba - granted five (5) hours late.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  17 November 2014 by R Daniel (Canada)

Flew YYZ-ADD (Toronto to Addis) on November 8, 2014 to begin my east African honeymoon. I was excited to fly on Ethiopian's Dreamliner for almost 13 hours. The trip was pretty good, though not as good as I had hoped. I previously flew on Air Canada's Dreamliner and the difference was like night and day. Ethiopian's seats were already weathered - which is stunning considering the aircraft is brand new. The washrooms were absolutely atrocious. What was comforting to me was that I witnessed one of the flight attendants going into the washrooms, with blue rubber gloves, to clean it. I was appalled to see her cleaning the galley and serving a drink with the same gloves to a passenger who came to the back. Then flew the airline from ADD to DAR (Dar Es Salaam) a few days later and had the worst airline experience: Our travel documents indicated the plane was a Boeing 737-700. Great planes for short to mid-haul flights. We boarded a very old and decrepit Boeing 757. Mechanics were fixing it as we boarded. Not a comforting sight. I asked to sit beside my wife (we're on our honeymoon) and we were told we were seated together. We weren't. The guy in between us was the largest man on the flight. He was so large any other airline would have asked him to purchase a 2nd seat. He didn't even wear his seatbelt, but covered it up with pillows. The flight attendants didn't want to ask him to fasten his seat belt until I made a fuss about it telling them that he is endangering other passenger. Finally, they got a seat belt extension for him. We found other seats, bulkhead, towards the back of the plane. It smelled so bad from the washrooms we were barely able to eat. My table tray was broken. I mentioned it to the flight attendant and she said "it's fine". The food ended up place on my lap instead. As mentioned, I barely ate it anyway. No in-flight entertainment. I have one more flight on this journey with Ethiopian. I pray it will be better. The airline will receive a letter from me regarding service, but most importantly, safety.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2014 by M Peters (Canada)

While we did get to and from our destinations, mostly on time, it is difficult to understand how Ethiopian Airlines is a member of Star Alliance. Both on the ground and in the air this airline needs significant improvement. Our trip began with a chaotic boarding process that lacked any organization. Multiple lines and pushing your way onboard seemed to be standard procedure. Once onboard, the flight attendants did the absolute minimum required of them, performing meal and drink services and then disappearing. While they did their job, it was done without any warmth or hospitality. On the ground in Addis Ababa, you are met with more chaos and disorganization. Flights are cancelled or changed without any notice (the flight is simply removed from the display in the terminal as if it did not exist), security lines extend the entire length of the terminal, and there is one representative at an information desk to provide assistance for all passengers in the terminal. This was our overall experience on all the Ethiopian Airlines flights we took. While they may fly new equipment, such as the 787, that cannot hide their failures in service and organization. Even for a little extra money, choosing an alternate carrier would be well worth your consideration.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2014 by R Obrien (USA)

4 flights on Ethiopian Airlines. My flights were Washington to Nairobi thru Addis Ababa and returned the same way. The flight over appeared to be a fairly new plane and quite comfortable. I am 6' 4" and found the legroom adequate. It helped that the seat next to me was empty. The food was typical airline food (rather nondescript). I found the cabin staff fairly attentive. The plane to Nairobi and was much older and the consensus among my travelling companions that had the flight been longer than the two hours it would have been unbearable as the seats were old and uncomfortable. The return flight was comparable to trip going over. Once again the seat next to me was empty for the 15 or 16 hr flight. I agree with other reviewers about the lack of cleanliness in the bathrooms. This appears to be a shortcoming of the staff. I was underwhelmed by the counter staff both going and coming - it was apparent that they could care less about customer service. Overall my experience with the airline was good and I would fly them again. I did not find the airport in Addis Ababa to be a problem as other reviewers have.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by Terrence Lee Andrews (USA)

On October 28 2014, I flew from Bole Airport to Frankfurt Germany via flight 706 enroute to Geneva Switzerland. This was the worst experience in my 26 years of flying overseas. Incredibly rude and unfriendly service. During breakfast wake-up right before landing in Frankfurt one side received breakfast and the other side didn't! No professional skills non-whatsoever.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by J Williams (Ethiopia)

I have been extremely disappointed with the last 4 flights that I have taken with Ethiopian Airlines. On Sept 11, I flew ADD - MOI via Kilimanjaro. There was no soap in either bathrooms in economy class. The bathrooms were also generally dirty and not cleaned well. When I alerted the flight attendant, she nonchalantly told me to use the other bathroom. I was shocked, then, to find the same problem when I returned to ADD from MOI on September 14. This time, I asked 2 flight attendants for soap, and they poured a bit into my hand from a small bottle that they had in the galley. The bathroom was, again, generally dirty and unpleasant smelling. On September 25, I flew from ADD to BKK. Again, no soap in the bathroom. I now feel that planes that are serviced in Addis Ababa are done so to a very low standard. The plane itself, a 767-300, was in generally poor condition with loose armrest covers, worn fabric, and trash in seat pockets. The temperature in the plane was also uncomfortable warm for the entire flight, and only one movie was shown during an 8.5 hour flight. Check-in for the return flight from BKK to ADD was the most disorganized debacle I have seen in 20 years of flying. The manager was ineffective, lines were disorderly, and the process took far too long. No one seemed to care about the dirtiness of the bathrooms, which was particularly troubling. Overall, I have been disappointed by the overall poor organization and quality of Ethiopian Airline flights and wonder how the airline maintains its status as a Star Alliance member. Perhaps if I were a gold member, I would have had better experiences, for I have enjoyed 1 or 2 business class trips on Ethiopian. Although I lack Gold status, I am nonetheless a paying customer who travels frequently, and believe that I deserve to have a clean, comfortable flight no matter which cabin I choose for a particular flight. I have not found that to be on Ethiopian Airlines. I live in Addis Ababa, so often Ethiopian Airlines is the only option that I have for certain routes. I can't and won't pretend that I'll never fly Ethiopian again. But given a choice on a particular route, I will choose to fly other airlines from here on out. For friends visiting Ethiopia from the US and other places, I will also recommend that they choose Turkish Airlines or Emirates for a better quality experience.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by Dave Chadwick (UK)

Heathrow - Lusaka Via Addis Ababa, Economy. It was the only flight I could get to and from Lusaka. I wasn't expecting much but they're not as bad as they seem, not bad but not great. Flight from Heathrow boarded on time, I struggled to find my seat as the seat numbers on the luggage compartments were unreadable as they were so worn down. Upon finding my seat, there was somebody sat there, kindly asked them to move which they did. Left 10 mins late but arrived at Addis early. The cabin crew on our flight to Addis were very ignorant, all the flight attendant calls were ignored, however they did leave drinks out in the galley and I was told to 'serve myself whatever I wanted'. The Toilet was filthy, wet and covered in tissue, same went for the other toilets, windows very dirty and greasy. Addis airport is terrible, no signs or information except 3 flight information screens. Three toilets for the whole terminal, long queues. The queue for security before boarding your flight was long and unbelievably slow. Shops are ridiculously expensive as normal. The flight to Lusaka was brilliant, the crew were much more attentive, food on both flights was very tasty (beef curry with rice). Both flights were on the new 787's. Both seats on both flights were hard and uncomfortable, quite narrow. Inflight entertainment on both flights was somewhat acceptable. Aircraft was very clean. Lusaka to Addis was on an old 767 which on the exterior showed its age. The interior was clean and tidy however lacked inflight entertainment. Service was good as was the food, fish curry and rice. Addis to Heathrow on the new 777, flight left at 1am, boarding was chaos, annoyingly we were served a meal at 2am chicken curry and rice which was tasty but didn't go down well. Flight arrived in London on time, all flights were smooth. The 777 and 767 was a lot more comfortable than the 787, we found the seats on the Dreamliner too narrow.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  21 October 2014 by Kirkby Roger (Uganda)

I was on flight ET 701 scheduled to depart Heathrow for Addis on Oct 6, with immediate connection to Entebbe. In the boarding lounge before 8pm. We remained there for 6 hours until the flight was finally cancelled, long after the airport had effectively closed for the night and all other flights had long since departed. Initially we received the 30-minute updates that ET promises. The almost-new Boeing 787 Dreamliner, needed a spare computer part, which arrived after 4 hours and then apparently it needed another part. I can accept that this was not the fault of ET, but staff management of passengers and information was extremely poor - information updates had stopped after 2-3 hours, rumours flew around because the one valiant ET staff member dealing with PAX was apparently instructed not to make further general announcements "for fear of a passenger revolt" - indeed they sent for the police and 4 officers remained with us for several hours! After a short night in a hotel arranged by ET, we boarded the flight at midday next day - and then spent 2 hours sitting on plane apparently because they had forgotten to order a fresh supply of meals for the flight. So we reached Addis at midnight and spent another short night in a hotel there, awaiting next day's connection. Summary - almost 48 hours from check-in at LHR to EBB, with inadequate information. ET ground staff in London and the local agents clearly need training in handling unexpected problems and in communication, passengers would be much less angry if adequate announcements are made and attempts at rebooking on alternative flights are handled in an orderly manner rather than priority being given to those who push hardest or make the most noise - I felt especially sorry for the 2 women carrying small children who received no attention at all in London.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  13 October 2014 by Kosmos Lemazur (Kenya)

Flew from Nairobi to Addis and then from Addis to Paris. The first leg of the flight was operated on a 767 with no inflight entertainment but legroom and comfort was average. Upon arrival in Addis I as well as other passengers were completely lost, no info about connections and moreover staff at Bole international airport are very rude. No cell phone reception in the airport, no wifi except in the business class lounge. On the second leg the extremely old 767 had no entertainment on a 7.5 hour flight, seats were so cramped, my knees pushed against the seat in front of me. I will not talk about the service because there was no service, crew disappeared during the whole flight. On my way return I had to pay 500€ to get an upgrade to business class because I could not fly in economy. Business class seats were not even lie flat, they just had a footrest.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Frank Rispin (UK)

Flew Addis to London yesterday on the Dreamliner. Superb experience throughout. Check in at Addis, no queue, Check in person could not have been more helpful. Plenty of loungers to pass the time in Terminal 2 departure areas. Reasonably priced cafes. Boarding was very civilized and politely controlled with the colour priority system. We left about 10 minutes late but arrived at Heathrow right on time. Cabin staff were courteous and helpful. Meal was excellent. Then we arrive at the super new Heathrow terminal 2. It took an hour to get to our bags, only 3 staff on immigration at 9 in the morning. Bags were waiting for us. Ethiopian Airlines excellent, Terminal 2 Heathrow - looks great, service poor.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2014 by Jacob Lyell (USA)

EBB-ADD, 14 Sep, ET332. ADD-BLZ, 14 Sep, ET877. BLZ-ADD, 20 Sep, ET877. ADD-EBB, 20 Sep, ET332. As a Star Alliance Gold member I often enjoy flying Star Alliance Partners and because I work often in Africa I fly Ethiopian regularly. However, I do not look forward to flying the airline. In fact I dread it. The actual service of the airline staff is below average. It's very hard to get the attention of service crew and English or French is not widely spoken. My comments below refer mainly to the fact that Ethiopian consistently does not offer benefits to Star Alliance Gold members that it should. Priority Boarding: The airline consistently does not board Gold or Business Class members first when boarding flights. If they do have a priority boarding lane, staff let anyone and everyone into it and do not verify their Gold or Business class status. So I must wait just as long in either lane. Lounge:  The internet service, food, and sanitary conditions in the Gold lounge are horrendous.  In the airport things are worse, with men and women bathing in the restroom sinks.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Taufik Hidayat (Indonesia)

I have been using ET regularly 3-4 times a year from Entebbe to Bangkok for 2 years now, here are my opinions: 1) Check in counter: always crowded with tons of baggage especially BKK-ADD. You will spend at least 30-45 minutes in queue. 2) Baggage : So far I have never had any problems. 3) Staff: Friendly but not attentive. 4) Inflight entertainment: Very poor, one big screen for whole of economy. Very poor quality earphones. 5) Seat Comfort: Well what can I say, its ok for economy, better than a low-cost carrier. 6) Food and Beverages: Food was great most of the time, Beverages? You have to ask to be satisfied, they do not provide food or drink menu, so most of their expenses will be on juice, water and wine. 7) Value for Money: For a moment they still the best, although if their competitors were offering the same price I would definitely move. 8) Transit: No free internet, crowded toilet, crowded passengers at the security gate, limited choice of restaurants, one smoking room for whole transit passengers, the less transit time in Addis the better.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by J Molitor (Belgium)

I made the flight BRU-CDG-ADD, followed by the flight ADD-KGL-BJM. The first step was made onboard the B787 ET- AOO. Very quiet flight with a very friendly and sympathetic cabin crew. The flight was almost full at Paris, but I managed to stay alone at row 29 a,b,c, there were a lot of good seats available at the rear part of the B787. The seats were ok but a little 'tired', if I can say that! The dinner was simple, overcooked and too salty - it was much better on my previous trip. For the breakfast, just 3 small cookies and a madeleine, nothing else! Long transit time at ADD and a quiet flight on a B737 to BJM. Excellent sandwich.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  19 August 2014 by C Stephens (USA)

IAD-ADD-LLW in Cloud Nine (Business) in July 2014. All flights on time and service was just fine. Good in flight entertainment on 777-300 ER with pitched lie flat seating on the IAD-ADD segment. ADD-LLW segment on 737NG had comfortable reclining seats with leg rests and no IFE. Food was plentiful and of good quality with a selection of Ethiopian dishes accompanied by injera as an additional course to the three mains on both segments. Crew was uniformly lovely. ADD is ok by developing world standards - a little confusing, sort of dirty and not particularly enticing food or shopping options. Cloud Nine/Premium lounge crowded and unattractive with ok food and beverage options, passable bathrooms and ok internet. The less time spent in ADD the better I think. Overall I was impressed with ET onboard product, less so with the ADD hub (which I understand is due for an overhaul in the next few years).

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  19 August 2014 by Ahmed Zafar (USA)

Travelled from IAD to ADD then to LSK on July 1 - absolutely the worst flight segments ever taken. The flight from IAD to ADD was 90 minutes late with no explanation given. Once onboard, the plane (777-300ER) smelt foul and it was evident the plane had not had a good cleaning in ages. Being a Star Gold Member you would think preference would be given for upgrades however the lead cabin staff informed me that was not Ethiopians policy. Once airborne the inflight entertainment system was below average. The food and snacks were awful, had the airline stated their food was below par I would have bought something at the airport. Finally the communication skills of the cabin crew and even the captain was below average. My return journey was equal, if not worse than the first leg. Plane smelt, windows in the plane had not been cleaned in ages, it took a cabin crew member 1 hour 45 mins to realize my call light was on. I could not move due to the miserable 3-3-3 configuration. Overall, I will never use Ethiopian again.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2014 by Correia Paulo (Angola)

I recently flew from Luanda to Paris and was pleasantly surprised with the quality and service received on Ethiopian Airways. In most cases it was superior to it's more illustrious competitors in Europe.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  12 August 2014 by J Tseng (USA)

This airline is one of two major airlines in East Africa. While they never lost my luggage, that is about the only good thing I can say about this airline, on which I flew over 30 segments due to my work. The airline attendants are chosen for their looks, not their helpfulness or intelligence. The food is awful, and the airplanes, particularly the DSH-8 are old and noisy. They have obtuse rules - such as not allowing you to store your purse under the seat in front of you in an exit row. They do not prioritize luggage upon arrival, and the gate agents don't seem to know what to do. Definitely not up to Western standards!

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  12 August 2014 by Riccardo Rigon (Italy)

Flight was from Rome-Adis Ababa-Kilimanjaro and back. Very old planes (very 70s in the layout) plus very dirty (no soap and no towels at takeoff). I had both flights back to Rome without entertainment at all! Couldn't fit in the seat and staff service is very poor (I buzzed three different times but no one showed up to ask what I needed. I had to physically stop them when they passed through the corridors. Asked for something to drink but got nothing. Please choose another carrier!

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Mark LaPrairie (Bhutan)

BKK-SIN, ET626. Foul is about the only way to describe it. Passengers joining in BKK have the pleasure of getting on a plane that has just flown for 8.5 hours from ADD and not been cleaned at all. It reeked and was boiling hot. Everyone had moved everywhere so seat assignments meant nothing. Bathrooms were filthy. Dirty used socks were in my seat pocket. Garbage was everywhere. No seat back AVOD. I didn't want to touch anything - couldn't wash my hands fast enough after getting off. Loud tinny music for all of the taxi and take off and for a good 15 mins afterward. Only pluses were that the fare was low and as a Star Alliance gold member I had a decent luggage allowance and could use the TG lounge in BKK. Otherwise, I am amazed that ET is a Star Alliance member.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Jim Nottingham (Australia)

We flew from Jo'burg to Addis in a brand new 777-300. Then to Stockholm in a 767-300. Although the latter was old, it was as comfortable as could be. On the way back we were on an even older 767-300 with a totally failed ventilation system. It was extremely uncomfortable. 2 drunks on board during the extended stop in Vienna caused so much upset exacerbated by the heat. Finally the police came on board to remove one of them. The flight from Addis to Jo'burg was in a Dreamliner. The heroes are the ground staff at Addis Airport. They are endlessly patient and helpful. But the airport is a madhouse to the extreme. Why would a country allow it's flag carrier to grow so explosively and leave, by all appearances, the airport infrastructure behind? I would take them again because they offered the best deal.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Mario Eybers (South Africa)

Flew twice with Ethiopian Airlines from Entebbe to Johannesburg and it continues to be a pleasant experience. Staff are friendly and helpful. Will definitely recommend.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Frank Rispin (Ethiopia)

March 2014. Addis to London on Dreamliner. Had full breakfast in the best value cafe in Terminal 2 at Bole, this is the one in the back row of shops not the London cafe. When I came out of there the queue for gate security had increased hugely, but they came to the back looking for us London passengers and speeded us through. Flight left a little late but arrived early. This was the Monday daytime flight. Amazing views all the way including the Alps. Flew into Heathrow via superb views of Crystal Palace FC and Twickenham Stadium. Food and service first class.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by M Carson (UK)

I flew to and from Nairobi and Addis and made two internal flights within Ethiopia. I was extremely disappointed with the airline: while it feels safe and the in-air experience is reasonable, the ground experience at Addis Bole Airport is atrocious: was supposedly the international hub yet they had a single counter open for all ET flights (even after checking in at a kiosk I had to wait an hour in the heat with crying babies), seemingly under-trained staff and/or technical issues at check in, completely chaotic baggage reclaim in Terminal 1; poor information and confusing signs. I also received SMS from the airline telling me my domestic flight had been delayed 3 hours and then that it had been cancelled - I therefore arrived 10hours late in Bahar Dar and missed my tour of the city. As it turned out, the morning flight had run on schedule all along and with spare seats- yet another sign of the incompetence of the airline. I think the airline is very strong at marketing themselves as a serious international airline ('Proud member of Star Alliance' etc) when in fact it should work at sorting out basic logistics in its operations. Addis faces significant infrastructure problems at presents (including constant electrical interruptions) so no wonder this is a factor holding the airline back.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  24 May 2014 by R Austin (USA)

I recently flew IAD-ABB / ABB-IAD en route to Entebbe on a 777-200LR each way. The seats on both planes were worn out. There was zero cushion left and you could see the indentions where the padding had worn away. This made both flights agonizingly uncomfortable, especially on the 17-hr return flight. Additionally, my seat back entertainment screen did not work nor did the USB port. All plane interiors were dirty, especially on the ADD-EBB route. I would not fly this airline again on a long haul flight.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  19 May 2014 by N Seymour (UK)

"New spirit of Africa". A great slogan but one that the airline needs to earn if it is to mean anything. I took the flight from Addis to London on 2 May and as the time approached at which we should have been boarding there was an announcement that there would be a 2 hour delay; as a frequent business traveller I have no problem when this happens for mechanical or weather related reasons but I cannot find it in myself to be understanding when the reason turns out to be that no crew had been programmed and that we had to wait while the standby crew was activated. To add insult to injury, I wrote to Ethiopian Airlines to complain and did not receive the courtesy of an acknowledgement.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  13 May 2014 by Tawin Wungpitak (Thailand)

Very bad service. I flew on route KUL-BKK. The cabin crew were not warm or welcoming, whilst guiding me to my seat it seemed like they would rather be gossiping with their colleagues. During the meal service they offered two meal choices - fish and chicken. The cabin crew lacked service.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2014 by V Keshav (UAE)

JNB-ADD-DXB. Check-in: Average experience obviously not ET staff hence it lacks a bit as the lady servicing the queue seemed at odds at what was going on. Flight: Crew were fairly attentive. Again seat failed to work and I wasn't offered an alternative even though they mentioned that they were aware of the problem. Overall a good service made up by their great ability to just make your day. Transit: Efficient though the bus to and from the aircraft needs to be sorted out especially if you offer an exclusive coach for your J class customers. DXB sector: Standard affair though for a late night flight like this it would be better if you offered dinner with the lights dimmed or off.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2014 by V Keshav (UAE)

DXB-ADD-JNB. Check-in in Dubai: Horrendous. Disorganized and truly unfriendly check in agent. Airport Lounge: Staff friendly and helpful at best though choice of meals needs a spruce. Flight: Fantastic crew onboard. Only gripe though is that menus etc shouldn't be collected while we still on our seats? ADD-JNB: My seat failed to work - this was known to the crew hence alternatives should've been offered ASAP, not to wait until the customer discovers it.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2014 by D Gorham (USA)

I flew IAD to ADD, then from ADD to JIB. When I was at the airport in IAD I noticed many people had overly large bags and in large numbers and I had my one bag. The flight from ADD to IAD was nice and my luggage was with me. However, the flight from IAD to ADD was not as nice. The flight attendants were not very attentive the second time around in the slightest and the movie selection was poor. Also when moving from ADD to JIB I noticed they were packing a great deal of peoples luggage and it looked like it all wasn't going to fit. I was right. When I arrived at my final destination I found they had not loaded my bag on my flight. I am military and I was supposed to return to my duty station upon my return. I am now being charged extra leave days due to this Airlines inability to keep track of luggage.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  11 May 2014 by Charles Kennedy (UK)

A new fifth freedom (operating between two points outside an airlines home country) carrier on the trunk route from Singapore to Bangkok, served by Boeing 767-300ER - an interesting and exotic way to get between these two cities. Cannot be booked on ET’s own site but codeshares with SQ and others, and pops up on travel aggregator sites. Perhaps the difficulty in booking explained why there was only 40 people onboard despite the kind hospitality of the Ethiopian crew, the tasty meal, and the excellent flight times (BKK to SIN is 1425-1815, and SIN-BKK is 2245-0005+1). No entertainment to speak of although loud and diverse (military, techno, ethnic, one after another!) played loudly during boarding taxi takeoff and climb (endearing rather than annoying). We arrived twenty minutes early into Suvunabhumi and my bags were on the carousel before I got there despite no lines at immigration. Will look out for this flight again.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  28 April 2014 by Carlos Blanco (UK)

Economy class, LHR to ADD. I flew in economy class, simply because of the direct flight convenience. I had very low expectation and it helped a lot. The airline is simply not up to international standard. The check-in at the LHR airport was a mess. Why they offer online check in which is not working is beyond me. At the end, everybody had to check-in at the counter. The plane, B777, is quite new so the seat and video are still in good condition. The food were abysmal, that's all I can say. The IFE was average with pathetic earphone. The return flight was not much better.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by C Wajsberg (Israel)

TLV to JNB via Addis Ababa. Both legs on time. First flight on a very old 767/300 but comfortable seats and good food as very good service. Second leg on a new 787 Dreamliner but seats not as comfortable as on old 767/300. Service very good, food average. This airline gives you the max for the price they charge, I will fly them again soon.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2014 by Bjornar Sabjornsen (Norway)

JNB-ADD-MBA. Suddenly got an sms 5 days before that said 'your flight has been rescheduled' to the day after, no further explanation or apologies. This of course affected my connecting flights, plans and other bookings. After I contacted them, they did offer me the chance to cancel the flight and then offered me an apology for the inconvenience caused. Also travelled with them once before from NBO-ADD-NBO. where it was a basic flight experience and other than a bumpy landing nothing to note.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  3 April 2014 by Charlotte Larsen (UK)

My flight was meant to leave Nairobi at 5.40am and go via Ethiopia and on to London Heathrow. The flight from Nairobi to Addis was delayed by an hour and we sat on the runway waiting to take-off, I had also been told that my connecting flight to London was delayed by 2 hours so at least I wasn't going to miss that. Landed in Addis and my second flight was still 2 hours delayed, it was mayhem at the gate, long queues at various desks and no instructions or announcements whatsoever to guide us. They gave me a new boarding pass, I was now sitting right at the back in the middle, not by the window as requested with my previous boarding pass. The lady next to me then said 'Are you getting off in Frankfurt or going straight to London?'. I was shocked, this was meant to be a direct flight to London and no one had told us that we were now going through Frankfurt (to drop off people whose flights were cancelled the day before apparently). Landed in Frankfurt and let some people off, all the rest of us going straight to London had to sit in the aeroplane for almost 2 hours waiting to take-off again! Landed in London at 6.30pm, our bags didn't come out onto the carousel for over an hour. I went through arrivals at 8pm! So what was meant to be an 11 hour journey was 16 hours. Never again will I fly Ethiopian airlines.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  1 April 2014 by M West (UK)

LHR-ADD-(JRO)-MBA. Although the handling agent at Heathrow (Dnata) is clearly disinterested in giving any kind of customer service (opened check-in late, very unprofessional in the way they spoke to passengers, not dressed appropriately in uniform, did not open Cloud Nine desk on time), this is not reflected in the attitude of the ET staff which was excellent throughout. We were made to feel very welcome onboard and the service was above a number of European airlines I have traveled recently on long-haul flights. There was a choice of meal in economy with wine or spirits. The service was generous and always available. If you wanted more you were made to feel welcome in the galley where you would be offered another drink etc. Special interest was the way the crew dealt with a passenger with disabilities. The adult passenger (who was being cared for by a family member) became quite agitated and at other times excited while on the flight. The crew were gentle and kind, even giving the passengers some 'space' in the galley out of sight of others to re-group and calm down. IFE is on demand and there is plenty to choose from. Addis is not the best airport on earth with little to do however it beats other African hubs hands-down. No good restaurants to speak of and no lounge access to any card holders. An extra (unscheduled) stop was put upon us out of ADD. The onward flight also had good snacks and drinks although it was short and again a helpful and well presented crew. ET was a nice surprise and I will book with them again.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2014 by John Charlesworth (UK)

Nairobi to London. First leg in new 787 which was a joy to be in, quiet, airy and smooth with great views if you have a window seat. Choice of wine excellent and service superb. Second leg in older 777 still very comfortable, seat extended enough to allow me to sleep without waking for a 6 hours. I have not used ET for about 5 years and their business class has come on leaps and bounds since then - more comfortable seats and better wine than a flight in business with Lufthansa to Chicago 4 weeks ago! The downside is the stopover in Addis. Addis Ababa airport really is not a great place to spend time and the business lounge certainly not up to European standards. With 5.5 hours between flights I had decided to get a transit visa and eat in town therefore I can't comment on the food served on board. Also I prefer to read rather than watch films so can't comment on the IFE. To conclude, I have to be in Addis in about 8 weeks and will be delighted to use Ethiopian for this trip.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  21 March 2014 by John Manuel (Canada)

I flew on flight ET 811 from Addis Ababa to Entebbe on January 30. It was very frustrating. We were to fly at 10.55am but after several delays we lifted off at 8.45pm. The most frustrating aspect was there was no one in authority who could tell us what was happening or when we would actually fly. It appeared that airline employees were avoiding us as they knew we were getting frustrated and they had no good information. Occasionally one of the passengers would find an airline employee who would give them information which was always contradictory and always wrong. If there is an alternative I will not fly Ethiopian Airlines again!

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  14 March 2014 by Mathew Mashamba (UK)

ET 700, Heathrow London, 1st March 2014 to Addis Ababa. Addis Ababa, 2nd March 2014 to Harare. Return from Harare on 11th March 2014 to Addis Ababa. Addis Ababa on 12 March 2014 to London Heathrow. Most friendly check-in and cabin crews. Very good check-in and baggage handling process. Ethiopian is very good on keeping time, very comfortable airline especially their Dreamliners.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  12 March 2014 by Jansen Van Rensburg (South Africa)

Been flying to SA and back to Bamako for almost 4 years now, Ethiopain Airline is the most comfortable and relaxing airline we have tried, especially the 777 and 787 from Addis to JNB.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2014 by H Blumenthal (France)

BZV-ADD and a few days later ADD-CDG: I hadn't flown ET since they joined Star Alliance so I was pretty excited thinking they would now be at international standards. Well it is the exact contrary. Terrible experience on both flights from one end to the other, even business with my Gold Star card. First if there is a lot of leg room the seat is terribly uncomfortable and old. Reminds me of seats 30 years ago. Cabin attendants gave no attention to passengers, food was horrible, entertainment even worse. The worst is that the cabin and the seats were truly dirty.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  26 February 2014 by Anders Pedersen (Denmark)

JNB-ADD-NBO, Feb 2014. Boeing 777-200 and 737, respectively. Ethiopian regional flights are at times problematic due to delays and deviating routings. This trip was delayed 1 hour from JNB. It had a previously un-announced deroute to ZNB where we had to pick up 100+ pax which had been waiting for ET for >5 hours. Thus they were hungry and angry. So were the pax from JNB, so the situation became unfriendly and space was cramped. From ZNB ET had run out of food. Drinks provided. In JNB I was promised a hotel voucher at check in, at gate, at aircraft, but it never came. The following morning ET801 ADD-NBO had a 4 hour delay! This is 2-3 times the flight duration and unacceptable. Reason given was aircraft service check. I assume they have too few aircraft's and it affects precision and operations terribly. Hot lunch was given in Addis in the waiting time that part functioned well (though basically only 1 option of food, it was very tasty). On the plus side are the competitive prices, but prices are on a stiff rise. If you have flexible time and do not expect a lot ET can be a pleasant surprise: ETs force is the many newer aircrafts, the good service onboard, the long duration of service onboard (from 10 minutes after take-off up till 10 minutes before landing). On regional sectors there are 4 options of hot food in economy and drinks flow. Special meals could be ordered and were on board but not always given out due to lack of staff follow up and due to peoples change of seating. FA's are young and co-operative. Call buttons rarely responded to, but there are plenty of FAs. Transfer and hotel provided in Addis functioned perfectly. The de-routed flight JNB- ADD was announced by email (but after the flight took off). ET are trying, but still not there.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by Michael Dagmawi (USA)

First flight from IAD-ADD on 777-200lr was horrible, the cabin felt like everyone was stuffed into economy class with stenches circulating around the cabin and the flight attendants had attitudes as if they don't care. Second flight was better on 787-Dreamliner to Frankfurt and the cabin felt more comfortable and a little more spacious. The food onboard was pretty good on both flights but FA's need to be a bit more enthusiastic. Would rather fly Lufthansa where FA's are nicer, and seats and cabin are more comfortable especially for long haul flights.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by E Capemarsh (UK)

London Heathrow, UK to Entebbe, Uganda, return via Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and Kigali, Rwanda. I left on 16 Feb and returned on 20th Feb 2014. Flight numbers ET701, ET811, ET821, and ET710. A decent long haul flight, brand new aeroplane, good food, plenty to drink, good entertainment and attentive air hosts. Not the best I've ever flown with, but by no means the worst.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  25 February 2014 by Jeevan Hemalatha Thimmappa (India)

ET-905, ET-688. 16 and 17 Jan 2014. I liked the service, the air hostesses are very good at what they do. The food served was good as well. However, the aircraft was a bit old, so seat comfort and the Inflight entertainment needs to be improved. Baggage handling by the airline is some what iffy most of the time.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by Oelkers Stephan (Germany)

I took a flight from Abuja to Addis which was fine. Staff very friendly, plane in a reasonably good condition, schedule was great. Arriving in Addis the Airport is just outdated, but once can mange this. Going to the next flight to Dubai and it happened. Boarded the plane, waiting for 2 hours and then change of Aircraft due to engine issues. Consequently we arrive 3 hours late in Dubai and I missed my connection. I am surprised that an airline with brand new aircraft's (787 Dreamliner), quite good and friendly staff is able to upset travelers by not being able to stick to a schedule. Since its not the first time I am not pleased and would try to avoid Ethiopian in future.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  20 February 2014 by M Chavez (USA)

DXB-ADD-FRA on their 787. Flying the Dreamliner is always a great experience for me and ET didn't disappoint. Only issue is the seats don't have too much storage space and are not true lie flat. Put a book in the little nook by the seat and when I woke up, the book was under the seat. Had to lift out cushions to reach it because of the shell. Service was good. Food was good as well.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  17 February 2014 by M Rajeev (India)

I flew Mumbai to Lagos and back on Ethiopian. First leg of return leg (Lagos to Addis) was in a 777-200 but the individual TV screens were not working. With a stopover at Addis for only 30 min, the airline handled baggage transfer quite efficiently. In the second leg (Addis to Mumbai), aircraft was suddenly changed from a planned 777-200 to an old 767-300 without personal Inflight Entertainment. Chaotic for people as seat numbers had to be reworked due to different seating configuration. Time for Star Alliance to step in and fix some basic norms.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  14 February 2014 by Anders Pedersen (Denmark)

NBO-ADD-JNB on February 12 and 13, respectively. All flights on time, FA's active and caring. Almost unlimited drinks and food if requested. Service very good and began 10 min. after takeoff until 10 minutes before touchdown. ET provided unexpectedly hotel in ADD,“Panorama. Transfer to and from hotel were quick and smooth. Drinks and meals also included. Aircraft's were in good condition and clean. Went by Boeing 737-800 and 777-200, respectively. On first leg only offered cold meal. On 2nd leg offered 2 choices of hot meals. Gate-procedures in ADD crowded and very uncomfortable. IFA not a priority neither for me nor the airline.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  13 February 2014 by T Bath (South Africa)

JNB-ADD. This flight was scheduled to depart at 14.20. It left the gate late, taxied out to the runway and then announced a mechanical problem. We sat on the runway for 1.5 hrs. We were then told that we would be disembarked and returned to the terminal. A bus took us to international transfers and dumped us at the entrance. It was now about 17.00. No airline representative was present and after about 40 minutes with no information passed, contract ground staff indicated that we should go to a distant departure gate. No other details were given. Arriving at the gate, there was still no information given but meal vouchers were offered with a promise of new information at some unspecified time. By 20.00, ground staff were as tight-lipped as ever with no apologies and no airline representatives in sight. At this point, I wanted off this flight. I cancelled my flight and went home.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  13 February 2014 by Gulamhusein Adnan (Kenya)

MBA-ADD-BOM-ADD-MBA, B737-800NG - B777-300ER and B777-200LR - B737-800. The outbound flight was ok. The AVOD was not updated, movies were old and had very few options. Food was good. The FA's were very ignorant to calls and behaved like they couldn't hear a thing, also had no smiles on their faces. Inbound flight was ok, same problem with the FA's as the inbound flight. The aircraft was changed from ADD to MBA and had to check in my hand luggage after which I didn't get it in MBA until the next day.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  10 February 2014 by Negede Haile (UK)

LHR-ADD on 9 Jan 2014 - I flew using Business class both directions, the flight takeoff and landing was smooth with new Dreamliner Boeing 787 and the arrival in Addis Ababa was earlier than the expected scheduled time. In my opinion the food quality was nice. In every other category this airline is well above standard. It begins with the crew who provides an excellent customer service experience. The cleanliness of the aircraft was noticeable, the toilets were kept clean and the staff were genuinely friendly on both directions.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  7 February 2014 by Oscar Maldonado (Guatemala)

I had used Ethiopian Airlines several times to get to Africa and I used to like the service on board, and usually connections at their Addis Ababa hub. However, the ground service is very poor and unfriendly, and seat selection is not respected as they keep changing aircraft types and configurations. Today I had finished a trip: Ground staff were in both ways the most unfriendly people I have seen (particularly in London and Pointe Noire, Congo). My flights were delayed risking missing my connections, my seat choice was never respected and the interior of the planes was particularly dirty. They added stops (my flight from Pointe Noire made a stop in Libreville, adding flight time and shortening connection time. Will never use this airline again.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2014 by Jaime Jaramillo (Colombia)

Travel in December 2013 in Nairobi via Addis Abba to Zanzibar route, the first full flight a 767 old, narrow seats, but friendly staff and good food service. The transit in Addis Abba was fast. Flight Nairobi to Zanzibar via Dar es Salaam: left on time, good food and friendly assistance. A good experience.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  25 January 2014 by J Lei (USA)

Washington to Addis and back in January 2014. This was my second time on Ethiopian and I thought it was significantly worse than my previous trip 2 years ago. In both directions, my headset worked in only one ear, so it was almost impossible to watch movies. In both directions, by my arrival the cabin and restrooms were absolutely filthy, I assume there weren't enough flight attendants to keep up with the trash. On the way back, in addition to the headset being broken, my touch screen didn't work, and the pocket on the front of the seat broke. The food is mediocre. The Addis airport is chaos as always, the check-in wait was extremely long and seemed very disorganized, with people randomly jumping in and out of line and staff abruptly leaving their posts. In addition, it seems ridiculous in this day and age to make a stop in Rome for refuelling, since many airlines fly such long routes without any stops. Combined with the fact that this itinerary was no cheaper (in fact, it was priced slightly higher) than a comparable trip on Emirates, which I expect to have premium service, I won't be taking Ethiopian again.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  16 January 2014 by D Ito (Germany)

FRA-ADD-JNB. Planes were 787 and 777 with new seats. USB power plug and personal TV were useful. All flights were on time. Cabin crews were helpful and friendly. Improving points were reservation center staffs and ground handling. I contacted reservation centers in Addis Ababa several times by e-mail with a quick answer. Addis Ababa airport is chaos. I really felt that ground staff tried to take care of passengers, but absolutely too many passengers for the number of staff. Security control line at gates was so long. more than 30min waiting. After security control, nothing at gates except WC.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  10 January 2014 by G Lobo (Brazil)

Rome-Addis-Maputo and back. I can say that it is a good rtip considering the price differential. The flights left near the schedule (not greater than 15 minutes late), the food was great (truly Ethiopian, I thought it great), and staff polite. What I really disliked was the space between the seats, tighter than usual with a poor maintenance service and poor entertainment options, not user friendly at all. Long story short, my impression was positive. The company can improve a lot its service but it is an interesting alternative for those who want to save money flying. Do not expect luxury, great movies or French food on the menu.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  9 January 2014 by T Giwa (UK)

Harare - London via Addis with a 10 hour stop over, with 2 children 5 and 7 years. The plane went through Lusaka and on 2 occasions my children were turned away from the toilets as the plane was fuelling, in the end I just had to barge into the loo with my youngest. On arrival in Addis we waited for over an hour before we were given vouchers for Beshale hotel. The next days flight on the London leg didn't leave on time and the sticker system was pointless as those of us at the back did not hear or understand what the crew were saying.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  7 January 2014 by W du Plessis (South Africa)

Johannesburg to Bangkok via Addis and back. Check in: Slow and farcical - both in Johannesburg and Bangkok. Slow system. Automatically change seats booked on internet. No system in Addis. You queue for about an hour to get a sticker of a certain colour according to which you board, but when you board, everyone boards. Planes: Ethiopian brags hugely about its new fleet. The plane from Johannesburg to Addis may have been newish, but the floors were dirty, the trays had old food on them, the individual TV screens scratched and its sound appalling. The flight from Addis to Bangkok was on a very old plane. No individual TV screens, massively uncomfortable seats. I was shocked that such a plane is still used. Hub: The Bole International Airport in Addis is supposed to be a hub, but it is a mere shell. Three restrooms serve it, there are no lounges (just Ethiopian Airlines related), not enough seats. Staff: Some rude. Verdict: it is an insult to Star Alliance. Avoid it at all costs.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  7 January 2014 by Jeff Davies (South Africa)

We flew Ethiopian on our honeymoon. When I booked the flight I noticed the short connection time in Addis Ababa and queried this with Ethiopian. I was assured that it would not be a problem. On flight day our flight leaving Johannesburg was late and therefore we missed out connection. When we arrived we were told to join a mob of about 80 other people that had also missed connections. Our flight only flew once a day so we were put in a hotel and given a transit visa. Not ideal for first night of honeymoon. As a result of the 24 hour delay we missed another flight that we had to rebook out of our own pocket. All those that were delayed in Addis were promised a USD300 compensation voucher. There was about 30 of us waiting for compensation as we were boarding the airplane to Mumbai. The Ethiopian staff disappeared and came back with vouchers for some customers. They then left and returned with some more vouchers. We were then boarded and again more customers received vouchers. At this point I was personally promised that they were coming back with a voucher for myself. They didn't come back before the plane took off. At the time I was just relieved to be on our way to our destination, but you can understand that I'm not happy about some customers receiving compensation and me and my wife not receiving. When we arrived in Mumbai that had also lost our bags. We are back home and don't intend to fly Ethiopian ever again. Overall, the worst flying experience I've ever had.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  6 January 2014 by J Bouwer (South Africa)

Flew from ADD to BKK, no inflight entertainment, not even headphones. Seat cushion was totally detached with upholstery torn. Aircraft was tattered and filthy. The flight back was cancelled due to mechanical failure on the aircraft, NO Ethiopian Airline representatives on Bangkok airport. No communication or explanation from the airline for hours. More than twelve hours have passed with no status update. Avoid this airline at all costs.

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  6 January 2014 by Romanth Waghmarae (USA)

Toronto - Addis - Nairobi and back. Flights were good. Food was also good. Entertainment was poor as there was no change on flight back (2014). The outbound flights were in 2013 (Dec) - I expected a completely new set of movies etc.. One word of caution the flight from Addis to Nairobi was on a very old 777 (broken trays and seat backs).

Ethiopian Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by Panchal Manoj (Kenya)

I travelled Kenya to India. Flight from Nairobi to Addi Abbas was behind schedule. Onboard the flight it was very warm and uncomfortable, people were using papers to fan themselves. No good food or entertainment. Flight from Addi Abbas to Mumbai had similar problems. When coming back from Mumbai to Addi Abbas everything was excellent.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8